Against Regulations by Samantha Petersen
Summary: What took place after the tag in Politics.
Rated: PG
Genres: Episode Prologues & Epilogues
Original Archive Date: 1999 Jun 1
Warnings: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 | Word count: 770 | Completed: Yes | Published: Aug 31, 2009 | Updated: Aug 31, 2009 | Read: 2757
Story Notes: Email: Sampeterse@aol.com

Rating: PG probably PG-13 maybe -- some language.

Synopsis: What took place after the tag in Politics.

Spoilers: There But for the Grace of God, Politics.

Characters: Sam and Jack

Archive: SamandJack Relationship Archives, Sam's Kung Fu and Silk Stalkings pages, Miki's Archives.

Warnings: None that I can think of except this hasn't been beta'd.

Disclaimers: I don't own them, I'm not making money off them, and I am returning them in one piece. If anything they've taken me not vice versa

Authors Notes: This just struck my last night while unable to sleep during a t-storm. The looks Sam and Jack passed to each other when Daniel told them about the alternate reality were too good to pass up. I haven't seen the season ender to first season yet and none of second season, so I hope I'm not completely off base with this.
Chapter 1 by Samantha Petersen
Sam Carter wearily opened the door to her apartment. She stripped off her dress uniform as she made her way back to the bedroom, needing to get out of its hot confines. Needing to get away from everything it represented at that moment. Pausing in the doorway to her bedroom, she glanced around the apartment with a sigh. This place was home. For the first time in really ever, she had a place to call home.

She thought to those who helped make this feel like home. Her team members had gone a long ways towards that. Not that they were a team anymore. That pompous ass Kinsey was making sure of that. God only knew where she'd be transferred to now. Jack would likely retire again, Daniel would go back to his anthropology and archaeology. And Teal'C, she shuddered to think what would happen to him.

Maybe it was time to get out. Go into the private sector. There were enough companies here in Colorado alone who would welcome someone with her education. Get on with a defense contractor.

Lost in her thoughts, she continued to absently strip out of her uniform, then went digging in her closet for a pair of sweats and a T-shirt.

"Nice view..."

Sam jumped as the voice startled her out of her thoughts. Dropping the sweats, she spun around to see Jack casually leaning in the doorway.

"Sorry, I knocked before letting myself in." He moved into the room, stepping over to her, and pulled her into a hug. "Penny for those thoughts..."

"Was just trying to decide what's next." She leaned into his embrace, feeling his strength.

"What's next?"

"With SGC shut down, what's going to happen to all of us. They aren't going to keep us as a team for a project that no longer exists."

"Colorado's my home. The only reason I'm back on active duty is because of the gate... without that there's almost nothing to keep me in..."

"That's pretty much what I figured. They'd probably transfer me back to the Pentagon..." She stepped back to look up into his face.

"More than likely, or someplace else if they feel your skills would be of better use there." Gentle fingers reached up and stroked her cheek.

Sam closed her eyes and leaned her head into the caress. She felt him press a soft kiss onto her forehead.

"For a while there this morning, I thought Daniel knew about us..."

"I couldn't believe you wouldn't let that conversation drop..." She chuckled, opening her eyes to look up at him. "Although the look on your face was priceless when he said that."

"Thought for a minute he knew and he just said that to gauge our reactions."

"You were right about one thing this morning..."

"Yeah?" He pressed a kiss on the tip of her nose.

"This is completely against regulations," she softly sighed as his hands began moving up and down her back in a soft massage.

"So long as we don't get caught." His lips moved to gently cover hers.

It was several long minutes before Sam could respond. When she did, she stepped slightly back from his embrace. "Been thinking about that..."

"And?" he prompted.

"I like it here in Colorado. I really don't want to leave, but they aren't going to give me much choice as long as I'm still in the Air Force..." Her words trailed off as she watched his face for a reaction.

"You're thinking of getting out?" He asked, though his face didn't show much surprise.

"It's an option I'm leaving heavily towards, unless we get a miracle and the project is reopened. And the only thing I see doing that is if Daniel is right... which I hope he's not."

"You and me both. From what he said, and if what he saw was real, then we'd be in big trouble. Let's just take this one day at a time, Sam, see what happens. We can make any decisions when the time comes. For now, let's just take what we have and make the most of it." He pressed another kiss to her forehead. "Get dressed, I'll go find a bottle of wine, and let's find something else to talk about."

"Order in some Italian?" she hopefully asked.

"While you're dressing, I'll be dialing." With one last kiss, he slipped from the room.

With a small, sad, smile, Sam left the sweat where they lay, and grabbed her robe instead. Whatever was to come, she knew she wasn't alone, and that he'd support her in whatever decisions she made.



The End?

This story archived at http://www.samandjack.net/fanfics/viewstory.php?sid=1085