Change A Thing by Venom_69
Summary: How do things turn out when they don't have the treaty with the Aschen?
Rated: PG
Genres: Drama
Original Archive Date: 2003 Dec 7
Warnings: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 | Word count: 6260 | Completed: Yes | Published: Aug 29, 2009 | Updated: Aug 29, 2009 | Read: 3185
Story Notes: Spoilers: 2001, 2010

Set in the year 2010.

Author's notes: I wrote this in two days, in between blowing my nose and informing everyone who'd listen that I felt like crap.

Feedback: Hell yeah! Don't make me beg, just hit reply and stroke my ego please.
E-mail: venom@scififan.com but you'd probably have better luck with venom_the_shipper@yahoo.com.au

Dedication: As always, for LEW, thank you for beta reading, I hope I didn't infect you. For the cold that kept me off work long enough to write this.

Date: 8-7-2003

Copyright © to Venom, 2003
Chapter 1 by Venom_69
Change A Thing


I have to wonder why they…..we…..sent the note in the first place. I mean, we know what's so bad about P4C 970, we learnt that the hard way, and we know what the Aschen were planning to do to Earth, but what about the rest of their lives?

I can't help but wonder if I'm anything like the Future-Me that sent that note and, judging by the blood that stained it, died and took her friends with her to get it to us. Was the part of her, their, life that didn't involve the Aschen really so bad that they wanted to change the timeline?

Obviously I don't know the circumstances in which the note was sent, but surely there could have been a way to change things in their time without altering history?

My stomach begins to turn again, interrupting my musing. Sighing, I slip out of bed and head for the bathroom, intent on bringing up the meal that my husband made for me the night before.

Whatever this bug is, I can't seem to shake it.

Holding my dignity in tact long enough to make it to the toilet, I collapse on the floor in front of it, emptying my stomach.

My loud stomach pyrotechnics seem to wake my husband from his slumber and I hear his sleep-ridden voice call for me. "Honey?"

I can't answer, no matter how much I want to. Considering how little I managed to eat the previous night, there seems to be a lot of it coming back up.

He comes into the bathroom and kneels behind me, rubbing my back in slow, soothing circles until there's nothing left in me and I dry heave. Handing me a glass of cold water, I manage to give a weak, reassuring, smile as I swirl some of it around my mouth and spit it out before taking small sips.

"You okay?" He murmurs quietly, continuing to rub my back.

"Yeah." I sigh.

"Maybe you should see a Doctor?" He suggests gently, helping me to stand on wobbly feet.

"It's just a bug." I protest weakly.

"Please? So I don't worry so much?"

I flush the toilet and let him lead me back to bed. "Janet gets back from her conference in Europe tomorrow, I'll go and see her in the afternoon, okay?"

"It would make me feel better." He smiles, pulling me into his arms before turning off the light. "Sleep well Angel. I love you."

"I love you too." I murmur, feeling my eyelids get heavy as the exhaustion from this illness catches up with me…

***

She was sleeping by the time Jack got the chance to go and see how she was doing. Fraiser had said that Sam would be fine, if not a little bit sore for a while, but the odd angle that she'd exited the wormhole had made for a pretty rough looking exit.

Jack pulled up the chair beside her, sighing deeply.

"Shouldn't you be in bed sir?"

His eyes widened a bit and he looked up to see her smiling at him. "Carter…..I thought you were asleep."

"Na, just trying to avoid any more needles." She grinned and Jack felt himself returning it.

Choosing his words carefully, (Hey, he does do it occasionally) Jack's face became serious as he spoke. "You did really good today Major, we're all proud of your efforts."

Sam nodded, she understood what he was trying to say. `I'm proud of you,' Were the unspoken words that she was left to get for herself.

"Thank you sir, I appreciate that."

Jack nodded and they fell silent for a few moments, each lost in their own thoughts until he spoke again. "I'm sorry about the Ambassador.

"You are?" She asked, managing to contain most of her surprise at his statement.

Suddenly, Jack was very uncomfortable. "Yeah…..I know you cared about him."

"But not more than I was supposed to." She replied quietly.

Hiding his grin by facing downwards, he nodded. He understood. She may have cared about Faxon, but she cared about him more. Kinda made a guy feel good.

Jack rose to his feet, pushing the chair back to where it belonged. "You should get some sleep Carter."

Sam smiled and nodded, her eyes already closing. "Yes sir, thanks for stopping by."

"Anytime."

***

I groan as the alarm goes off. The warm body underneath mine stops it from continuing to disturb my sleep. "Sorry baby, forgot it was on." He apologizes and I feel the rumbling of his chest beneath my face.

"S'ok."

"How are you feeling?"

"Tired."

"C'mon, you'd better get up."

"Don' wanna." I protest weakly, not wanting to move from my position on top of him, but he slides out from underneath me and heads into the ensuite.

Ugh. I feel like crap. Spending the past few mornings worshiping the porcelain bowl have reeked havoc with my body and my sleeping habits.

"C'mon baby, a nice hot bath will make you feel better." He gently persuades.

I shake my head, I don't have the energy to think about having a bath let alone actually doing it…..that would be asking way too much at the moment. I feel his hand on me as he slowly strips me of my nightclothes before picking me up and laying me in the nice, hot, bath.

"Don't go to sleep in there." He commands quietly, but I barely hear him, my eyes drifting shut……

***

Hammond sat down at the head of the table, studying the people before him. Major Carter looked a little tired, but Doctor Fraiser has assured him that she was fully fit to return to active duty, and that no damage had occurred from her unusual exit through the Stargate.

"People, I know that our last encounter with the Aschen wasn't exactly what you'd call favorable," Hammond ignored Jack's snort and continued. "But, as you yourself say Colonel, we don't leave our people behind."

"Are we going to attempt the rescue of Ambassador Faxon?" Teal'c asked, directing his question at the General.

"Yes, that's exactly what we're going to do."

"Sir," Carter protested. "Chances are that they've already moved him. The Ambassador could be anywhere within the Aschen confederation by now, where would we start looking?"

Hammond had to admit that she had a point. "On the planet that you last encountered them. That's our best lead and the President himself has requested that I send SG-1 for the job. Is your team up for it, Colonel?"

Jack looked towards Carter, who smiled at him to let him know that she was good to go. Daniel nodded, he had liked the Ambassador, they'd shared some of the same values and he was a good conversationalist. Jack's gaze turned to Teal'c but one look at the man's face told Jack that he probably shouldn't have bothered. Teal'c was always ready to fight for Earth.

He turned back to the General. "When do we leave?"

***

"Wake up Baby, Janet will be here soon." His voice calls and I open my eyes to find myself dressed in a clean nightshirt, lying on the bed.

"How long was I asleep?" I asked, pulling the blanket closer against me.

He sits on the bed beside me and strokes my hair. "Seven or eight hours."

"Why didn't you wake me sooner?" I ask.

"Because you need your rest." He tells me, dropping a loving kiss to my hair. "Janet's on her way, and she said to make sure that you were awake enough to answer her questions."

"When will she be here?" I ask, turning over to snuggle up closer to his warm body, attempting to steal some of the delicious warmth.

"Now." Comes a voice from the doorway.

I look up to see Janet standing there, large suitcase in one hand and a bunch of flowers in the other. She looks good, I realise, and I'm also suddenly aware of how horrible I look.

"You're beautiful baby." He whispers quietly, as if reading my thoughts. "Janet, how was the trip? No transporter malfunctions?" He asks, chuckling as he remembers the time I tried to transport home, only to end up in another Country.

Janet returns the smile and moves to stand at the other side of the bed. "No, everything was fine."

She hands me the flowers with a smile and my husband takes them from me as I look up at her through half-closed eyes. "Thank you. How was the conference?"

"Great." She smiles enthusiastically. "Look what I brought back with me." She beams, opening the large suitcase to reveal lots of beakers and test tubes. I can't focus on the equipment properly to decipher what it is.

Luckily, my ever-clairvoyant husband seems to pick up on my curiosity and lack of energy and does the questioning for me. "What is it?"

"It's a mini laboratory, recently developed that allows us to analyze sperm samples, blood work, everything. Very expensive, very heavy," She grins at that, "But hopefully with it being the latest development in medical science it should cut down the time it takes to diagnose a patient significantly."

My eyes begin to drift shut again.

"Baby, open the blues for me." He commands quietly. "Janet is gonna take a blood sample and then you can have a nap, okay?"

My eyes are closed before he finishes the sentence…..

***

"How do we get on to the harvester?" Jack whispered, looking towards Carter for the answer. As he spoke, the giant machine was descending towards the ground, with a small platform coming up from the ground to act as a landing site. "It shouldn't be that easy." He muttered.

"It's about to get easier." Daniel whispered, pointing to a ramp that had come out of the ship with half a dozen Aschen walking down it, with Ambassador Joe Faxon in the middle of the group.

"What are they doing?" Jack murmured.

"Perhaps the Aschen plan to take the Ambassador through the Stargate to another world." Teal'c offered, watching the scene before them carefully.

"Whatever. We go in with Zat's, don't kill `em, just get `em outta the way." He ordered, standing. "Go."

It took barely seconds before the Aschen had all been hit and were lying on the ramp, unconscious. Joe Faxon had heard the first Zat blast go off and crouched down with his hands protecting his head, hoping that whoever was attacking the Aschen didn't see him as a threat.

"C'mon, let's go!" Someone shouted.

He looked up, slightly disoriented, and saw SG-1, and more importantly, Major Carter, beckoning him towards them. He stood up, and ran over to them, ignoring the bodies of his former captors at his feet.

"Boy am I glad to see you guys!" He cried, running with them towards the Stargate with the sound of more Aschen members coming after them.

"Reunions later, Dial it home Carter." Jack ordered.

***

"I went to sleep again, didn't I?" I mumble, but my voice is met with silence.

Opening my eyes, I look around to find the bedroom in complete darkness, but I know I'm alone. I can hear faint voices coming from outside, and I assume that Janet's still here. Pulling myself out of the bed, I stand and grasp the bedside table as dizziness overcomes me for a moment. After I let the nausea pass, I walk slowly to the door and step out into the hall.

Following the sound of my husband's voice, I enter the living room to find him and Janet talking quietly. "Hey, am I interrupting something?" I ask, a smile on my face.

"Honey, I didn't realise you were awake."

"How long was I out for?"

"'Bout an hour." He answers, pulling me into his arms. "How are you feeling?"

"Really tired. But since I haven't eaten for a day, I'm not so nauseous anymore. Do you know what's wrong with me?" I ask Janet, laying my head on my husband's shoulder.

"Well, I'm told that you think you just have a bug?" I nod. "Well, you're right. You do have a bug." She tells me.

Smiling, I flash my husband an `I told you so' look before looking back to Janet. "I thought that was all it was."

Janet shakes her head. "No that's not all."

"What?" I ask, worry beginning to creep into me.

My husband, my wonderful husband, looks at me with a huge grin on his face, his eyes dancing with pure and utter happiness. "Sammie, we're having a baby."

The world fades to black.

***

"First of all, let me express my Congratulations to SG-1 for getting the Ambassador back safely. Secondly, Ambassador, if you wouldn't mind telling us what happened throughout the duration of your imprisonment?" Hammond asked, turning to face the Ambassador, who was looking a little shaken up.

"Well, nothing really. I was questioned a few times for information about Earth, but that was the only time I had any form of contact with any of them. I was kept in a room with a bed, table, chair and amenities, food and water were brought in once a day until you guys rescued me." He looked at SG-1, each member in turn, and smiled at Carter, who grinned back.

"Where were the Aschen planning to take you, Ambassador Faxon?" Teal'c asked.

Joe shrugged. "I don't know. I was told to go with them and I did. Next thing I knew they were falling all around me and then you guys were there, telling me to go with you."

"I think we just got lucky with the timing sir." Jack added.

"Very well, get yourselves down to the infirmary and have Fraiser check you out." He ordered with a curt nod. "Dismissed."

Everyone stood, Hammond left for his office and the boys of SG-1 headed towards the infirmary while Sam picked up her files.

"Major Carter?" Joe asked, smiling at her.

"Ambassador?"

"I was wondering if you'd like to have dinner tonight, so that I can say thank you for the rescue?" He asked, smiling at her hopefully.

"Um…..sure would you like me to invite the rest of SG-1 to make it a real celebration?" She asked.

Joe swallowed nervously. "Ah…..I was hoping it would be just the two of us."

"Oh. Oh! Sure."

"Great, I'll go and make dinner reservations at The Deluxe?" He offered, and Sam nodded. "I'll pick you up at eight."

"Ah, Ambassador?"

"Yes?"

Sam grinned at him. "You need to go to the infirmary first."

***

I can feel someone tapping my face and my eyes flutter open to see two worried faces staring down at me.

"Angel?"

"'M okay." I mutter, pulling myself into a sitting position. "Sorry to scare you." I smile shyly, slightly embarrassed.

Janet grins at me. "Don't worry about it Sam, that'll happen every now and then. Since you're blood pressure is low during pregnancy anyway, and you have this virus in your system, you're going to be weak for a while. I think it would be best if you had complete bed rest for the next week. I'll come back next Thursday and see how you're feeling, okay?"

"Okay. Thanks Janet."

"I'll walk you out."

Janet nods and picks up her lab. "Bye Sam, remember, take it easy!" She grins at me before being escorted to the door.

"Thanks for everything Doc."

"Anytime." Janet replies, stepping up to kiss my husband on the cheek.

Closing and locking the door, he comes back over and picks me up, carrying me back to bed before gently laying me down. He turns off the lights throughout the house and comes to join me in the bed.

"You sure you're feeling okay?"

"Yeah, I'm a little surprised though."

"You and me both." He chuckles. "How do you feel about it though?"

I smile and touch my stomach, feeling only a very slight bump underneath my fingertips. "Happy, really happy. You?"

"Over the moon." He smiles, bending his head to kiss me. As soon as the kiss gets a little more intense, he pulls back. "Go back to sleep baby, you need your rest."

"Do you know how much time I've spent sleeping the last few days?" I ask with a raised eyebrow, snuggling into his body.

"Hey, you're sleeping for two now."

I giggle at his words, but my eyes are already closing.

***

Sam walked through the halls of the SGC, heading for her lab.

She was still tired from the previous night that she and Joe had spent by the fire and she found it hard to believe that they'd been seeing each other for six months now. It had been a good six months, she realised, and she was happy with their relationship. He was funny, attentive, intelligent…..everything that she wanted from a man.

Pulling her ID card from her breast pocket, Sam swiped in through her lock and waited until the doors opened before stepping inside and gasping with delight.

There were red roses everywhere.

Covering every conceivable surface, and some that she wasn't sure that some of her experiments and equipment should be that close to flora, but the general effect was stunning.

"Oh my God….." She murmured. There must have been at least a thousand dollars worth of flower in the lab. If Joe was one thing, it was certainly very extravagant with money.

"Sam." Came his voice from behind her.

She turned around to see him standing next to the door, wearing a tux. "What's all of this about?" She asked with a grin.

He shrugged nonchalantly. "Well, we've been together for six months now, and I thought you deserved something special."

"This is something special? Wow, what are you going to do when I deserve something *really* special?" She laughed, but her face turned serious as he bent on one knee in front of her, grasping her hand.

"Samantha Carter…..you are the most amazing woman that I have ever met and you make my life worth living. I love you and I would be honored if you would agree to be my wife?"

For a brief moment, Sam though her heart had stopped beating. Then he pulled out a ring and she was *sure* that it had stopped. The ring was gold and it had a huge diamond in the center with small emeralds surrounding it.

"Sam?" Joe asked, his voice shaky.

She looked down at him. "Yes?"

"Really? This is fantastic!" He cried, slipping the ring on her finger and standing to kiss her passionately.

"I…..ah…..okay." She shrugged and kissed him back among a thousand dollars worth of roses.

Her favorite flowers were Lilies.

***

I wake to the feeling of nausea again…..which, considering the fact that I haven't eaten since I was last sick, is odd.

"I brought you some soup."

My thoughtful man places a cup of soup next to me and I realise where the nausea had come from. "Thank you for the thought, it was very sweet, but I don't think I could keep it down." I protest, pulling myself up into a sitting position.

"Try it." He urges, handing me the mug.

"Really I….."

"Trust me honey, you'll be able to keep it down." He smiles and I take a tentative sip, amazed to find that it doesn't make me want to vomit.

"What is it?" I ask, sipping more.

"Family recipe, my mother was violently ill when she was pregnant with me, this was the only thing she'd eat for weeks at a time. Dad gave me the recipe when we got married." He tells me and I nod, continuing to gulp down the soup greedily.

Now that I'm not nauseous, I'm starving.

"Slow down or you'll get the hiccup's" He laughs.

I roll my eyes at him. "I didn't realise how hungry I was until I had this, I hope you made more."

"Heaps." He nods, taking the mug from my hands. "Close your eyes baby, you really should rest."

I nod and follow his instructions to the feel of him stroking my hair.

***

"Joe?" Sam asked, absently twirling her engagement ring around her finger.

"Mmm?" He replied distractedly, reading something from work.

"When are we going to send out the invitations? I mean, only our parents and Janet know thus far."

"Itching to tell everyone, are you honey?" He grinned.

"Well, the wedding is only two months away, and we need to sort out the caterers, the seating arrangements, the wedding party and their dresses and tux's, the gifts for the guests….." Sam sighed, she would have preferred a small, more intimate, wedding with just their family and close friends.

It seemed like Joe wanted to invite half of the state.

"How about you give out the invites to your friends and family, and I'll do mine to save time?" He offered.

Sam nodded, satisfied with the answer. "Okay, I'll give them out at the SGC tomorrow. The SG-1 boys won't be happy with me for keeping it from them for so long, but they'll be happy."

"I can't remember, are we inviting all of your team?" Joe asked absently.

Sam gave him a funny look, which he missed anyway. "Of course we are, they're closer to me than my own family."

"I know that but…..I don't think O'Neill likes the idea of us getting married." He admitted, finally looking up at her.

"Joe, Colonel O'Neill wants us to be happy, I'm sure he'll give us his blessing." She smiled, showing her confidence.

"Would it make a difference if he didn't?" Joe asked, jealousy lacing his tone.

"Of course it wouldn't." Sam lied, forcing a smile.

Joe grunted and turned back to his paperwork.

***

I snuggle further into the covers and relish in their warmth.

Winter started a few days ago, and it's starting to get colder in here, but the heating is permanently on at the moment. Janet says I should keep warm for the baby's sake…..which mean I have one fully grown male fussing over me endlessly.

He took time off work to be with me and `nurture' me until I'm allowed to get out of bed. I *was* supposed to be back on my feet two days ago, but the onset of winter has made the virus hang around for a while longer and I'm so thankful for the soup that my father-in-law gave us the recipe for.

Without that soup, which looks awful but really is delicious, I would have emaciated the baby and myself by now.

"What're you doing awake?" A voice asks from beside me.

"Just thinking." I reply with a smile.

"Go back to sleep."

"Make me." I tease playfully.

He pulls me into his arms and kisses the top of my head affectionately while I wriggle around trying to get conformable. "Sammie…..you need to get better soon, okay? I worry about you and the baby."

"I know you do." I grin.

***

"Hey Sam." Daniel greeted as she walked into his office, only to find the Colonel and Teal'c already there.

"Major Carter." Teal'c bowed.

"Hey Carter." Jack nodded. "Whatchya got there?" He asked, pointing towards the three envelopes held tightly in her hand.

"Um…..they're for you guys actually." She told them, handing each one out.

Daniel opened his first and began to read aloud. "To Doctor Daniel P. Jackson, you are cordially invited to witness the joining of Joseph F. Faxon and Samantha E. Carter…..you're getting married?" He asked, finally noticing the ring that she wore on her finger.

"In two months." Sam nodded.

"Oh…..why? I mean, congratulations." He grinned boyishly and Sam ignored the first question.

"I am most pleased for you Major Carter, however I do not believe that the Ambassador is a formidable warrior, worthy of your hand." Teal'c announced and Sam stared at him in confusion.

"What T is trying to say, in his own twisted way, is that the guy ain't good enough for ya." The Colonel translated.

She was ashamed to feel tears pricking her eyes. "Do you all feel that way?" She asked in a shaky voice.

"Carter, we're not trying to interfere, we just want you to know that we think you deserve better, but if you're happy, then we're happy." He elaborated.

"Oh…..are you guys gonna come to the wedding?" She asked.

"Of course I'll be there Sam."

"I will indeed attempt to be present for this event Major Carter."

Sam smiled at her two colleagues before turning to face her silent commanding officer. "Sir?"

"Ah….." Jack saw the hopeful expression on her face and forced himself to put aside his own misgivings. "Sure Carter, I think I'm free that weekend." He grinned.

Sam was a little put-off by the Colonel's flippancy, but decided to ignore it. "Good."

***

I remember the day that I told the guys I was getting married like it was yesterday. I know that they didn't mean, or realise, it, but they all hurt me deeply that day with their off-handedness about the biggest day of my life.

In retrospect, perhaps I should have told them all to stick it, but, then again, things wouldn't have turned out the way they have if I'd done that, so I'm glad I kept quiet about my feelings.

But with the way my life is at the moment, I wouldn't change a single thing. It makes me wonder how bad life was for the other me that helped to send the note.

"I just got off the phone with Janet, she says that you can go for a walk outside today, if you want?"

I grin at him. "Yes, I'm sick of the sight of this bed."

He pouts. "Aww…..you never used to say that."

"True, but what we used to do in bed was more interesting than sleeping." I remind him, smiling sweetly.

"Well, you shake off this virus, Janet gives you the go-ahead, and we'll make it interesting again, okay?"

"Deal." I grin and he helps me to the shower so that I can finally get out of the house for a little while.

***

The processional had already started playing when Sam stepped out of the bridal room, her father waiting for her. She picked up the bouquet of roses and walked towards the man beaming proudly at the.

"You look beautiful Sammie." He grinned proudly.

"Thank you." She smiled, re-adjusting her veil.

Jacob looked at his daughter, amazed at how grown up she looked. "Are you ready to go and get married?"

"Is everybody here and seated?" She asked, peering through the doors of the church to see over three hundred people sitting in their pew's, waiting for her entrance.

"Ah…..yes."

"Dad?"

"Jack, Daniel and Teal'c aren't here yet." He admitted.

Sam turned to her father. "What? Where are they?"

"Sammie…..I'm sure that they're fine, really. C'mon let's get you down that aisle before Joe sends out a search party." Jacob attempted to take her arm, but she pulled away.

"Where are they?" Sam demanded.

Jacob sighed, she wouldn't move until he told her what was going on. "There was an accident…..Jack's truck brakes were cut and he's in the hospital. Daniel and Teal'c are with him at the moment."

"His brakes were…..? Why?"

Shaking his heady sadly, Jacob grasped his daughter's hand. "I don't know. He's in the Memorial hospital now."

"Is he alright?"

"The doctors aren't sure yet."

"I have to go and see him."

"Sam, we're at your wedding."

"I don't care." She protested, opening the door.

Sam ran down the aisle towards Joe who was looking at her, open- mouthed. The wedding march had begun playing but Sam signaled for the organ player to stop.

"Joe, we have to postpone the wedding." She told him, breathless.

"What? Why?"

"Colonel O'Neill was in a car accident, I have to make sure he's alright."

"Sam….."

"Joe, he's my friend, I need to be there for him."

"Sam, it was just a malfunction with the brakes, I'm sure he's fine." Joe protested gently. "Can we please continue?"

"How do you know it was his brakes?" Sam asked, eyes wide.

"Well, you said…..

"No, I didn't." She shook her head, eyes wide at the implication. "You did this, didn't you?"

Joe shrugged. "Not me."

Sam was running out of the church towards her car before Joe even had a chance to stop her.

***

We walk slowly through the park near our house, the sounds of children playing in the park are the only noise interrupting the silence.

Cars are virtually extinct now, we have transports that take us everywhere we want to go……'Beam me ups' as the Colonel called them. They're actually a lot like the Aschen version we encountered in 2001, but entirely human built. Because cars are no longer in use, pollution has dropped considerably and we even managed to repair the ozone layer and repair all of the damage that we did.

So much has changed since the war with the Goa'uld, most of it for the better. There were losses to both sides, but ultimately we won. The Tollan weren't completely wiped out by Tanith, as first thought, and several of them survived and helped us fight.

The Tok'ra were an essential part to our survival during some of the tougher months, in the spring of 2003. A lot of them were killed as well, but they still have operatives around…..even if they have nothing left to fight for.

Dad is actually living on Earth at the moment, he's decided that since the world knows what he is and who Selmak is, then he can afford to act like a young man at the age of seventy without people asking questions…..Mark's kids love that their grandfather can still run with the best of them.

The disclosure of the Stargate happened on September 9th, 2002. It was a lot earlier than scheduled, but necessary. The war on Iraq was over (Saddam had been killed and Bin Laden had been captured at this point.) but we were loosing the war with the Goa'uld and most of our people were dropping like flies.

In the end we had to recruit other personnel to fight with us…..it was easier to tell the world what we were doing than try and get the newcomers up to speed in a very short amount of time.

After the declassification of the Stargate, we were all considered heroes, especially SG-1…..not that we wanted to be, and we didn't have time to enjoy the spotlight before we were off to fight again.

"Honey, are you okay?"

I look up at him as we continue to walk at a leisurely pace, hand in hand. "Fine, why?"

"You've been quiet."

"Just thinking." I smile.

"We've talked about you doing that….." He grins and I can't help returning it.

Yes, all things considered, I'm glad my life is the way it is at the moment.

***

"I must have really lousy taste in men." Sam sighed as she spoke with Jack.

He'd been in hospital for over a week now with a broken leg and hairline fracture of the skull. When his brakes had failed, the car had rammed straight into a tree, but the Doctor's had said that overall he'd come out of it very lucky.

Jack couldn't help but smile. "Don't say that Carter."

"Why not? It's true. I was engaged to a man that turned out to be a psychotic Neanderthal, and then I was about five minute's away from marrying a man that was helping the Aschen…..I think those two instances alone constitute lousy taste." She replied.

"Hey, it's not that bad. I mean, Faxon is probably a good guy…..if you forget about the part of him that was controlled by the Aschen."

Sam shook her head. "I still don't understand how they did it, I mean, when we were involved in the trade relations, we discussed their technology in depth……they never mentioned the ability to `brain wash' people."

Jack gave her a skeptical look. "If they were planning to brain wash the people of Earth, do you really think that they'd tell us about the technology?"

She smiled and nodded. "You're right."

"Usually am." He grinned.

"I guess now you can say that there's another race of people out there who want to see you dead." Sam smiled.

"I'm just popular." He returned, his face suddenly becoming serious. "Look, I'm sorry about Joe….."

"I appreciate that."

"I know."

"Sir….I"

Jack shook his head at her, and winced as he bumped the fracture. "Carter, you don't need to explain it to me."

She sighed. "I do…..Joe was, is, a mistake. You and I…..we had something really special at one point, and I threw it away."

Taking a deep breath, Jack reached out and grasped her hand tightly. "You didn't throw it away."

***

I stroke my stomach with trembling fingers, trying to ease the discomfort of the baby kicking. Whether or not it's a boy or a girl, it certainly seems to be taking after it's father in the athletic department.

"Pains?"

"No, this baby loves to kick."

He smiles at me. "Cool…..can I feel?"

I can't help but smile as his finger tickle my stomach to feel our child move.

Jack just loves to feel the baby kick, and he gets this odd grin on his face every time he sees my protruding abdomen. I have to admit, having my husband fuss over me non-stop can be quite amusing.

He's getting ready to leave for work at the moment, no doubt trying to think of a new and better way to try and train the new recruits. After the SGC was officially open to the public, and once the huge media frenzy and public tours died down, we continued on with our original mission of trying to establish peaceful relations with other cultures.

We all stayed on SG-1 for a while, but Daniel left to be with Janet for the birth of their daughter, Megan, and Teal'c left to be with his son. Jack retired about three months after my almost wedding to Joe, which was about three weeks before our own wedding.

Hammond wouldn't let him leave completely though, Thor still refuses to deal with anyone other than SG-1, so he roped Jack into a job as a training instructor to all of the men and women who would make up the next generation of SG teams. He enjoys it, no matter how much he complains about having to train the scientists to fight while they spout techno-babble at him…..and he's on hand in case the Asguard come knocking.

And me? Well, I still work in my lab at the SGC, analyzing technology that the teams bring back. We have SG teams 2-38 now and collectively they bring back a lot of technology for me to study.

After the war was over, SG-1 were all awarded the medal of bravery…..and told, by the President himself, that no other team, ever, will be given the designation of SG-1.

But I have a lot of work to do these days.

I don't go off-world anymore, what the other teams bring back keeps me pretty busy. And even thought the Goa'uld, and the Aschen, have been defeated, and the Jaffa are free from being dependant on any Larva's (Janet and I finally found a drug to act as a substitute for the Primta) We still find people out there that don't want to be friendly, and sometimes we inevitably have to fight…..which is where Jack's job comes into the program.

Away from work, however, I have the pleasure of being Mrs. Samantha O'Neill…..and I have been for almost six years now. Jack's proposal was everything I had ever wanted.

He didn't shower me with roses, he knows what my favorite flower is, he knew before we were even together. He took me to a planet where the beaches went on forever, and we had a private holiday there. On the second night, as we watched the sunset he slipped a sapphire ring onto my finger and told me I had to marry him or he'd Zat me.

Now, *that* was a proposal.

We married a month later at a garden wedding with only our friends and family in attendance, making the guests total of about seventy- five, had our honeymoon on the beach where we'd gotten engaged and were deliriously happy, despite the ups and down's. We'd discussed having children before, but with our lives the way they were, we never really felt ready for them.

But now…..that decision has been taken out of our hands.

So at almost five months pregnant, and deliriously happy, I have to wonder exactly why the future me decided to send that note. I don't know what her life was like, I don't know if the Goa'uld had been defeated, or if it was the Aschen that made them want to change the way things were going to turn out.

But I do know that if her life was anything like mine is at the moment, then she was a damn fool for trying to change that.

I would never give up the way my life is at the moment.

Not for anything.

***

The End.
End Notes: "Now I wish we could take it all back." -Daniel, 2010

This story archived at http://www.samandjack.net/fanfics/viewstory.php?sid=266