Sacrifices (Third in Relationships Series) by GenVarel
Summary: Jack and Daniel individually ponder on what sacrifices their ongoing mission demands of SG-1’s personal lives.
Rated: PG13
Genres: Action & Adventure, Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort, UST/Friendship
Original Archive Date: None
Warnings: Abuse, Torture, Violence
Series: Relationships
Chapters: 10 | Word count: 21356 | Completed: Yes | Published: Jan 19, 2012 | Updated: Jan 19, 2012 | Read: 123107

1. Chapter 1 by GenVarel

2. Chapter 2 by GenVarel

3. Chapter 3 by GenVarel

4. Chapter 4 by GenVarel

5. Chapter 5 by GenVarel

6. Chapter 6 by GenVarel

7. Chapter 7 by GenVarel

8. Chapter 8 by GenVarel

9. Chapter 9 by GenVarel

10. Chapter 10 by GenVarel

Chapter 1 by GenVarel
Category: Drama/Action/UST

Spoilers: Point of View
One Hundred Days
Shades of Gray
Crystal Scull
Upgrades
Crossroads
Divide and Conquer
Window of Opportunity

Season: Four, after “Window of Opportunity”

Rating: PG 13

Summary: Jack and Daniel individually ponder on what sacrifices their ongoing mission demands of SG-1’s personal lives.

Warnings: Violence, torture scenes, language, sexual situations.

Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are not my property. I have written this story for the enjoyment of Stargate SG-1 fans all over the world. No copyright infringement is intended and no monetary gain is expected.




Chapter One

“Teal’c! Wake up! Teal’c!”

Jack was shaking the dazed Jaffa into alertness, shouting in his face as explosions reverberated around them, sometimes so close that they could feel the heat on their bodies as the dirt and debris rained on them.

“O’Neill…” Teal’c answered inaudibly, trying to focus on the frantic face of the Colonel.

“Where are they?! Where are Carter and Daniel?!” the Colonel yelled close to his ear.

O’Neill looked wild. He had blood running down his face, which was plastered with dirt.

They both had to suddenly cover their heads as another explosion hit close.

Teal’c could see dead bodies around them, and dimly realized that Jack must have dragged him to their current spot inside a trench created by one of the explosions.

“I believe they must still be in the museum…” the Jaffa answered faintly. The ringing in his ears was muffling everything else.

His CO intently looked into his eyes as if trying to ascertain whether he was truly conscious, then he bit down hard as he seemed to reach a tough decision. Grabbing Teal’c by his shirt and yelling over the boom of another blast, he told him, “We have to get the hell out of here before one of those land on top of us! Let’s head to the Gate and we’ll come back for them!”

Teal’c nodded and, with Jack’s assistance, was able to get out of the ditch they had taken refuge in.

They ran low, crouching close to the ground and praying the whole time that the bombs would miss them. They miraculously made it to the Stargate in one piece, looking over their shoulders and noticing that the bombing seemed to be moving away from the gate area and concentrating on the city. Hun soldiers were running in every possible direction, some wounded, some shouting at each other as they tried to make sense of the madness going on around them.

Colonel O’Neill started the dial up immediately, but once the wormhole was established, a still dazed Teal’c had to grab his shoulder to pull him toward the event horizon. The commander had an anxious look on his face as he nodded, turned to the puddle, and with a last, wistful glance toward the city, jumped through with his friend.

Teal’c stumbled into the gate room back at the SGC, his Commander right behind him as he shook off dirt and quickly grabbed his dazed friend’s to prevent the bigger man from falling on his face.

“Medics!” the Colonel yelled as he helped the former First Prime to gingerly sit on the ramp, and they soon were surrounded by medical personnel.

Dr. Fraiser checked Teal’c out quickly and immediately ordered her medics to move him to the infirmary after one look at the egg growing larger on his head. O’Neill was still sitting on the ramp with a concerned General Hammond hovering over him.

“Where are Major Carter and Dr. Jackson? What the devil happened over there?” the older man anxiously demanded.

Teal’c observed O’Neill shake his head, staring at the ramp and looking unsure of how to respond… or not wanting to. He finally looked up at his Commander as Dr. Fraiser began to check the bleeding cut on his scalp while medics uselessly tried to coax Teal’c onto a gurney.

“I think the locals underestimated their adversaries, Sir. But this is just speculation. I’m not really sure what happened.” He flinched from Janet’s probing fingers, but then continued. “But I’m pretty sure Carter and Daniel are now trapped over there, if not dead…” he grimly admitted as he closed his eyes and swallowed hard. “We need to talk to Teal’c once he’s taken care of. He would know more about their whereabouts.”

Teal’c was being pushed out of the Gate Room when he planted his feet firmly on the ground to listen further. He turned and watched Jack open his eyes again and realize that Janet was sitting on her heels next to him, a shocked expression frozen on her face. “Sorry, Janet. I really don’t know. Maybe they’re all right, but I don’t know,” he wretchedly admitted.

The doctor shook herself and started to help the Colonel to his feet. “It’s okay, Colonel. Just head to the infirmary and we’ll talk to Teal’c later. You need a couple of stitches on that cut and I want to finish checking you out to make sure there is nothing else wrong with you.”

Teal’c sadly watched his CO dejectedly nod. With his head down and two medics by his sides, he started to follow his teammate out of the Gate Room, so Teal’c allowed himself one more look back as Dr. Fraiser exchanged troubled looks with the General standing by her side, then he finally allowed the medics to escort him to the infirmary.
Chapter 2 by GenVarel
Chapter Two

Daniel slowly became aware of people moving around him and shouting orders at the top of their lungs. He also realized that he could smell blood.

He opened his eyes cautiously, and a blurry sight instantly came into view. He was surrounded by gurneys, their drab, gray sheets covering bleeding bodies. Some of those bodies were completely covered, obviously dead.

He could hear cries of agony, groans, whispers and sobs. His head throbbed painfully, but he tried to remember why he was there while attempting to make sense of his surroundings. The memories eluded him.

Medical personnel flitted amongst the injured checking vitals, wrapping wounds and injecting drugs. They were silent and efficient, but they emanated fear and apprehension, and they looked raggedly exhausted.

The ones doing the shouting and giving the orders were soldiers, but not ones he readily recognized. Where the hell were his glasses?

The uniforms were as unfamiliar as the faces were, but although the differences were small, he could tell they were not human. Then he remembered.

They were on P3X-123 and the locals, called Huns, were at war with the other country on this planet, Segara. Ironically, the reason for the war was the Stargate, even though it had not been active for hundreds of years. At least not until SG-1 had made contact with Huna, a couple of weeks ago.

Daniel was suddenly hit with the realization that he could not see the rest of SG-1 anywhere. The wounded surrounding him were most definitely Huns. They all looked human.

He grunted with the effort of sitting up on the gurney, trying to look for his friends, and realized that his ribs hurt worse than his head. He then felt a soft hand on his back, gently helping him to sit up.

“Be careful, we believe you have broken ribs,” a woman clad in a gray and very bloody medical uniform told him. She evidently was part of the medical team. Although young and attractive, her appearance indicated she was worn out, clearly exhausted. Her dark hair, pulled away from her face in a ponytail, was wet with perspiration.

He felt his ribs and realized he was bandaged. “I think you’re right,” he replied, wincing in pain. “Where are my friends? What’s going on?”

“She cannot tell you anything,” he heard a deep voice answer behind him. “Go tend to someone else!” the voice ordered the nurse at his side.

The woman promptly moved away, but gave him an intent look as she did so, as if trying to warn him of something.

The owner of the voice finally walked up close enough for Daniel to see him clearly, and he realized this man was not Hun. He had the nose bumps, pink skin and dark purple eyes of the Segarans. Although he had never met one before, his Hun archeologist friend, Mac, had shown him pictures of their enemies.

The Segaran was wearing a military uniform, dark violet with golden accents here and there. There were ornaments on his chest with symbols he recognized as numbers on each one. The man had black, straight hair pulled back from his face and held in a tight knot at the base of his neck. He held himself in a very military posture, hands behind his back, body very stiff, and he looked at Daniel with an affable but cold smile, inspecting the archeologist with interested and calculating eyes.

“I see you are Hun. You must have come from the same planet our Hun adversaries came from. We intend to find our original planet as well, and we are hoping that you will help us do that” the man abruptly informed Daniel.

A harried Segaran doctor suddenly interrupted the soldier, his face a darker pink than his military commander. “Commander! This man is in no condition to be interrogated. He has a head injury. You must wait for…” he was protesting, but the officer grabbed his shirt, stopping him mid-sentence.

“I will decide when it is time to interrogate my prisoners!” he snarled at the doctor through clenched teeth, his voice morphed into a menacing growl.

The physician, to his credit, did not back down. “I will file a formal complaint if you do not leave this man alone. There are regulations…”

“I am aware of the regulations! I was just introducing myself, wasn’t I?” he asked Daniel, a fake smile back on his face and his eyes still hard as stone as his tone again softened into a mockingly polite one.

“I’m sorry, but I don’t know where your planet is. I don’t think I’ll be able to help you,” Daniel cautiously replied.

The Segaran officer just smiled contemptuously.

Daniel ignored him and asked the doctor as he looked around worriedly, “I want to see my friends. Are they here? Are they wounded?”

The doctor quickly replied. “No, they are not. You were wounded at the museum when a large cabinet fell on you during the bombing. You have been unconscious for many hours and suffered a concussion, but you are going to be all right.”

Daniel gladly realized that the physician was exhibiting the same professional concern and toughness Daniel was used to witnessing in Dr. Fraiser, and this was rather comforting, but the annoying commander rudely interrupted.

“Your woman friend was unharmed and is being held at our temporary headquarters. As soon as you are well enough to walk, you can see her,” he taunted, the falsely amiable and cold smile still in place.

“I’m well enough now!” Daniel replied anxiously, eager to go to Sam and make sure she was truly all right, but the man laughed as if amused by his concern.

“There is no rush! Your doctor just told us you need rest, Dr. Jackson.” At Daniel’s surprised reaction, he proceeded. “Yes, we know who you are. We also know who your friend is… Major Samantha Carter. And we know that Colonel Jack O’Neill and Teal’c are missing. We assume they returned to your world. Are we correct?”

Daniel stared at the Segaran at an unusual loss for words. In spite of the man’s outward friendliness and smiles, he could sense great danger emanating from him. ‘Try to think before you talk, Daniel,’ he reminded himself.

Jack had just lectured him about this bad habit of his after they had contacted the Huns and Daniel had been, as usual, forthcoming with information that Jack had not been ready to share.

The doctor glared at the commander again, obviously displeased at the soldier’s continued disregard of his objections.

“And you are?” Daniel finally responded, hoping to distract the man from asking any more questions.

“I’m Commander Adros, at your service,” he bowed to Daniel mockingly. “I am in charge of the Segaran Armed Forces and the retrieval operation that is currently underway.”

“Retrieval operation?” Daniel repeated, hoping for clarification.

The doctor shifted his attention to Daniel, his eyes begging him to stop talking.

“Retrieval of our Stargate,” the commander answered simply, still smiling at Daniel. “Don’t worry! We will have time to talk later, when you are well, and answer all your questions. Meanwhile, we’ll be talking to your… friend.”

Daniel’s heart froze at his words. Adros’ manner was suddenly openly threatening and very intimidating. The archeologist had had the misfortune of having met beings such as this one many times before, beings that would stop at nothing to get what they wanted, and he suddenly was very afraid for Sam. He watched as the officer’s cruel eyes became even harder with the realization that Daniel had recognized him for what he was.

“Doctor, if you wish for this man to remain here, sedate him until I am ready for him,” he then ordered with clear satisfaction, the smile gone and his eyes like flint on the alien archeologist before him.

“No! Wait!” Daniel began to complain, but the doctor did not think about it twice and called for the Hun nurse, who was by his side within moments with a syringe. “Take me to my friend! Please… don’t…” he loudly protested, but two Segaran soldiers had also materialized by his side, both wrestling him effortlessly back to the gurney as he tried to resist.

“Careful! He’s injured!” the doctor loudly complained.

The nurse quickly injected Daniel over his objections and he immediately felt himself start to drift. “No, please…” he kept begging weakly as he blacked out, “Don’t… hurt… her…”
Chapter 3 by GenVarel
Chapter Three

Teal’c had a very large bump on his head, but was again completely in command of his faculties. He had been patiently in the infirmary while Dr. Fraiser had fussed over him, demanding that they stay put until she was satisfied that both he and the Colonel were fine. His symbiote, as usual, had been helping him heal rapidly.

O’Neill’s head had been stitched and Doc had assured him that the rest of it was healthy. “Well, healthy for you, that is,” she had teased, eliciting an indignant glare from her patient.

General Hammond had then entered the infirmary, exchanged a few words with the doctor, and then approached the beds where both men were sitting on pins and needles, ready to bolt. “You can come with me now,” he had informed them curtly, and had quickly exited the room with O’Neill and Teal’c on his heels.

They soon had reached the conference room and sat at the briefing table, where Major Ferretti and his team had already been waiting.

“Colonel O’Neill, please tell us what the heck happened over there and where Major Carter and Dr. Jackson are,” General Hammond started, clearly upset. The older man was evidently in no mood for chitchat.

O’Neill looked at Teal’c, who got the message and started to relate what he remembered.

“As you know, General Hammond, Colonel O’Neill was due to contact you at 1400 hours today for an update. O’Neill headed to the Stargate with Commander Sache and his aides, who were eager to discuss their political situation with you. As you also know, the Stargate is located in the middle of the Ancient outpost ruins, which is now an archeological dig. I stayed behind in Huna’s main museum to work with Dr. Jackson on a particularly difficult Ancient passage inscribed on a tablet. This is the tablet Dr. Jackson already informed you about, the one that seems to contain instructions of some kind. Major Carter was also in the museum, but in a different area, inspecting some artifacts that looked like machines, maybe weapons. We had been unsuccessful in translating anything but a few words. Therefore, Dr. Jackson had requested that I contact Dr. Mac Trenis, the archeologist in charge of the Ancient outpost dig. He wanted me to investigate the ruins to see if we could find something that would help us translate the writing on the tablet. I was heading toward the Ancient outpost dig site, where Colonel O’Neill and Commander Sache were waiting until it was time to contact you, when I heard the alarms go off in the city.”

Teal’c briefly paused to bring a hand to his head, his head suddenly throbbing, and O’Neill jumped in. “We were inside a building a few hundred meters from the Gate when I heard the sirens. Sache started yelling orders and then he told me the sirens were warning of an impending air attack by the Segarans. The bombs started falling shortly after that.” His CO had clearly interjected his part of the story trying to give Teal’c a break, and the Jaffa was now ready to continue.

“There were explosions in the city, and I had started to turn back for Dr. Jackson and Major Carter when I realized that they were also bombing the area around the ruins. They must have known that Sache and his aides were there. I started to run toward the building where I expected O’Neill would be, but I was caught by the blast of a detonation. My next memory is of Colonel O’Neill shaking me awake,” he concluded as he closed his eyes in pain. His symbiote seemed displeased with his effort to communicate.

O’Neill, however, quickly picked up where Teal’c left off. “I saw Teal’c fall from where I was. We had left the building as soon as the bombs started falling and I was running toward the city to find the rest of my team. The bombers were careful not to hit the actual ruins, just the Hun buildings around it. I saw lots of bodies, Sir,” Jack told the General, shaking his head with disgust. “Anyway, when I saw Teal’c fall, I grabbed him and dragged him into a trench until he woke up. The bombs were still falling around us, so I decided to break for the Gate instead of trying to reach the city, and here we are.”

Colonel O’Neill was clearly unhappy about leaving the rest of his team behind, just as Teal’c felt. General Hammond then asked, “Can we assume that they would not have hit the museum if they tried to avoid hitting the ruins?” he asked in a hopeful tone.

“That would be a guess, Sir. We don’t know how much the Segarans know about Huna, but I’d bet they have their spies and know enough about the layout of the city. It’s not a coincidence that they decided to attack now. They’ve had a cold war for almost two hundred years. They must have found out that the Gate was finally activated. The conflict between Segara and Huna involves the Stargate and the ruins around it. Segara wants access to them and Huna will not allow it.”

“Why are they fighting over something that, until recently, was nothing but a ruin? They didn’t know that the Gate was still working, did they?” asked Major Ferretti.

“No, they didn’t,” O’Neill responded. “But both countries claim that their people were brought to the planet through the Stargate by an alien race approximately one thousand years ago. Almost two centuries ago, Segara and Huna fought a war over the territory where the Ancient outpost and the Gate are located. The Huns won, and forcibly relocated the Segarans to the only other continent on the planet. There has been no diplomatic relations between the two races since then.”

No one said anything for a few moments, processing the information, but then General Hammond ended the tense silence. “We’ll try not to get involved in this conflict, but we must attempt to contact Major Carter and Dr. Jackson. We’ll dial Huna and hope they are still able to use their radios. Major Ferretti and his team, as well as SG-11 and 13, will be on stand by, ready to go under your command if we determine it is feasible to mount an S&R operation.”

The general had addressed these last few words to the Colonel, but then he briefly glanced at the group and stood to indicate the briefing was over. Now, looking at Ferretti, he instructed, “Major, see that the stand-by teams are ready at a moment’s notice.” Then he turned to his second-in-command and said, “Colonel, let’s try to find the rest of your team.”
Chapter 4 by GenVarel
Chapter Four

Sam was lying on her cot, patiently waiting for something to happen. She had been stuck in the same room for the last ten hours, bored out of her scull. Her only visits had been from that creepy man, Adros. He had always come alone, with only two Segaran soldiers to stand outside, by her door.

He had been almost friendly at the beginning, making sure she was comfortable. Her room was small, but it had a single bed, a small table with two chairs, and a small bathroom. It was like a cheap hotel room, but she knew she was in a tall building, in one of the top floors.

Adros’ friendliness had stopped soon enough during his first visit, when he had realized that Sam would not cooperate. The lack of food was her first indication that the man meant business.

He had come to see her the second time followed by a woman carrying a large tray with various dishes on it. Sam had not eaten for many hours and her stomach was growling, but she didn’t even glance at the loaded tray.

When she refused to answer the officer’s questions, he had ordered the woman to go away. Next, they had removed the pitcher of water. That had been about six hours ago. She had tried to get some water from the bathroom sink, but they had cut the water to the room completely. They had even taken her boots and socks, and her toes were freezing. All she was still wearing were her pants and t-shirt, and she could tell that they had also cut off the heat.

Although it was not a particularly cold winter day, it was still uncomfortably cold with not even a blanket to cover her body with. She figured this was “step one” of the man’s interrogation technique, depriving her of comfort and basic needs. He would have to do a lot better than that.

Sam was worried about her own circumstances, but was even more worried about Daniel. Adros had informed her that he had been injured during the bombing and that he was recuperating in the Hun hospital. He had refused to share any more information, demanding that she start sharing first.

He wanted to know how to use the Stargate, for starters. He also knew that she had been studying the artifacts in the museum and wanted to know everything about them, especially the ones that looked like weapons. He had asked many questions about Earth, which Sam had refused to answer every time, staring at the Segaran with an obstinate, look on her face.

He had gotten the message and had just nodded with a cruel smile. “You will talk, sooner or later,” he had assured her, leaving her alone.

Now Sam almost wished the man would return. She needed to know about Daniel, and she needed to get further Intel about their situation.

Almost as if she had been conjuring his presence, Adros suddenly entered the room, this time followed inside by the same two soldiers that normally accompanied him.

Sam jumped up from her cot and tensely stood on her bare feet, warily waiting for the man to talk.

He just stood there, silently watching her with a little smile on his face, allowing for the tension in the room to escalate exponentially with every second.

Sam was scared. She knew his type. He would enjoy trying to make her talk. ‘Step two,’ she thought, bracing herself for the next stage of the interrogation technique.

“Your friend woke up. The doctors assure me he will be fine with enough rest,” he abruptly but casually informed her.

Sam tried not to show any emotion, although she felt instantly relieved. At her lack of response, Adros raised his eyebrows and feigned surprise.

“Are you not happy to hear your Dr. Jackson is better?” he asked.

She still did not say a word and just stood there, staring at him defiantly. The Segaran actually chuckled, clearly amused by her bravado.

“Come on, Major Carter! I know you are happy to hear about Dr. Jackson, just as he was happy to hear about you. He showed concern for your well-being. Now, I would love to be able to give him good news next time he awakens. I don’t think he would like to hear that you were… hurt.”

Sam stood still as a statue, still staring at the Segaran’s face impassibly. Adros walked slowly around her, looking her up and down as if assessing her strength.

“You will talk sooner than later, I think. You do not look that strong. You look fragile, even delicate.” He had stopped walking and talked to her as he stood behind her, very close to her left ear, almost whispering.

She knew that he could feel her shaking slightly, and she hoped he realized that it was from cold and not from fear. She felt him smile against her hair, his breath warm on her neck. “But I hope you do not talk too soon,” he menacingly admitted, and Sam reacted without previous thought.

Her elbow went first into the Segaran’s middle, then to his jaw when he doubled over in pain, eliciting a loud grunt and then a shout of pain. Her right leg flew to meet the first soldier that came at her and her bare foot connected with his windpipe, sending him flying backwards, but the other soldier was quickly on top of her, trying to grab her.

Sam easily extricated herself from his grasp with an expert maneuver, then crouched low and kicked his knee, making it crack.

With a below of agony, the man fell to the floor, and before he hit it she was running, her feet hitting the cold tiles down the corridor and toward the elevators. She could hear Adros shouting enraged orders and many booted feet running after her.

A soldier came running around the corner, unsuspecting of Sam’s approach but responding to the commotion, and her kick met his chest, making the Segaran bounce off the wall. She was on him with a hook to his jaw that sent him bouncing again, but before she could finish him off, she felt strong arms grab hers from behind, lifting her off her feet.

“Take her back to her cell and restrain her!” she heard Adros shriek behind her.

Two soldiers, different ones from the two she had attacked in her room, were holding her firmly, both her arms twisted painfully behind her. Sam struggled and kicked futilely all the way back to her prison, already dreading what would come next. She could tell Adros was furious.

In her room, four other soldiers were already assisting the two she had overpowered. One was being carried out, insensible; the other one was moaning in pain, still on the floor holding his shattered knee.

Sam was roughly thrown on the bed face down, her arms still held tightly behind her, and she felt handcuffs being locked in place. The soldiers released her once she was restrained, but she immediately felt a hand gripping her hair, pulling her face up cruelly.

“You will be very sorry for that stupid stunt!” she heard Adros say through clenched teeth, and she let out an involuntary cry of pain as he brought her up to her feet, still pulling her by the hair.

The Commander slammed her against the wall as he released her, the side of her head colliding painfully with the solid surface. He then slapped her viciously, once, twice, three, four times, until she tasted blood in her mouth.

The wall was keeping her up, but she wished she could fall and escape the punishment. Instead, she felt his rough hand start to choke her, and she opened terrified eyes to see a mask of fury two inches from her bleeding mouth.

“Now we will finally spend some productive time together,” the livid Segaran promised, his foul breath on her face as he viciously squeezed her neck, holding her against the wall.

Sam knew she was due for a major step two of the unpleasant process.

-----

“This is Stargate Command, come in,” Hammond was talking through the radio, hoping desperately for Sam’s or Daniel’s voice in response.

His second-in-command stood impatiently next to his seat, Teal’c standing next to him and as calm as ever, but with a concerned look on his face. They had been trying to contact Major Carter and Dr. Jackson for the past fifteen minutes with no results.

Suddenly, they could hear voices. They could tell someone was fussing with one of the receiving radios, probably trying to figure out how to use it.

“This is General Hammond at Stargate Command. To talk, press the side button. Please respond,” he instructed.

They all waited anxiously for a few moments, then a deep voice could be heard. “It is a pleasure, General Hammond. This is Commander Adros, at your service.”

Colonel O’Neill closed his eyes with plain apprehension, something Hammond noticed immediately. “Do you know who that is?” he asked the Colonel.

The Colonel nodded. “Sache was just telling me about this man when the bombing started. He’s the commander in charge of the Segaran forces… very bad,” he quickly and softly replied, shaking his head.

Hammond did not waste any time. “We appreciate your response, Commander. We are looking for our missing team members, a man and a woman that were working in the Hun Museum of Archeology when you attacked Huna. Have you any knowledge of their whereabouts?”

“Of course we do, General Hammond. They are our guests, for the time being,” they heard the Segaran respond. They all could tell the man was enjoying the exchange.

“Are they all right?” Hammond warily asked, already feeling his temper begin to heat up.

“They are… alive,” the man answered unsympathetically.

Hammond observed Colonel O’Neill swallowing hard, and he could tell the younger man was getting angry as well.

“We request that they be returned to Earth immediately. We have nothing to do with your conflict with the Huns. We promise we will not attempt to contact your world once our people are returned,” Hammond answered calmly, trying to keep his unease out of his voice.

“That will just not do, I’m sorry. There are things we would request of you in return for the safe keeping of your people. They will not be hurt further, if you agree to our terms.”

‘Further?!’ Hammond looked up at the Colonel with alarm, silently asking for an opinion on what to do next.

“We need to know that they are really okay,” O’Neill quietly told his CO.

“Indeed,” agreed Teal’c, his voice low and ominous.

“We demand to talk to our people to be certain that they are alive and well,” Hammond spoke into the microphone, no longer attempting to use diplomacy. The man’s threat had been abundantly clear.

“Of course! Here is Major Carter. I’m sure she would be delighted to say hello,” the man agreed, sounding deceptively pleasant.

The three men in the control room visibly tensed, waiting to hear Sam’s voice. It came in a croak, pain riding the waves despite her attempt to speak in a professional tone. “Major Carter, here.”

“Major, are you all right?” asked Hammond in concern.

“I am fine, Sir,” she whispered back, her voice still strained. They could tell it was a blatant lie, and they could also hear Adros snickering in the background.

------

“Have they mistreated you or Dr. Jackson?” Sam heard Hammond worriedly ask.


She guardedly looked up at the hateful face of her captor, hesitating.

“Tell them! You can speak freely, my dear,” he assured her, still holding the radio close to her mouth.

She was seated on the bed, her hands still cuffed behind her. Livid bruises marked her cheeks, where she had been slapped repeatedly; she had lost count of how many times. Her lip was cut and it felt swollen, and her head hurt horribly from the abuse.

“They want information, Sir. They are trying to get it from me. I don’t know for sure about Daniel. Commander Adros assures me he is recuperating in the hospital. He says he got injured during the bombing, but that it is not serious. I don’t trust this man…” Sam was informing quickly, but Adros interrupted her with another loud, not completely unexpected slap.

-----

The men back at Stargate Command winced when they heard the blow and Adros’ voice immediately reporting. “I have been quite gentle so far. We will get the information we want, either from her, from Dr. Jackson… or you. You can decide from whom. Now, think about it and call again when you have decided. I, in the meantime, have work to do with Major Carter. Please excuse us.”

The three men exchanged alarmed looks as Hammond tried to think of something to say to forestall the man at the other end of the radio signal.

-----

Sam’s worried blue gaze hardened when she realized that Adros intended to show her friends that he meant business.

He had spoken into the radio, biting each word. Next, still pressing the communicator on the radio, he picked up one of the sharp knives he had been threatening Sam with, making her brace herself.

Before she could make a move, he had brutally plunged it into her shoulder, inflicting a narrow but deep wound. He had done this so fast that Sam had been unprepared for the vicious assault, and she automatically screamed in shock and agony, subsequent whimpers of pain escaping her before she could hold back.

-----

Jack lost it at that point. He had been holding his frustration and anger in check during the whole exchange, but Carter’s cry of pain made him snap.

“You son of a bitch! You hurt her again and I swear that you’re a dead man!” he abruptly yelled into the radio.

Even Teal’c had lost his composure, now hovering close to Hammond, as if ready to jump through the radio piece to strangle the Segaran.

General Hammond held one hand up, stopping the two men. He then answered Adros, “We will contact you again soon to discuss terms. We request, as a sign of good faith, that you do not hurt our people further.”

Jack marveled at the control the older man exhibited. He could tell that he had been just as affected by his Major’s torture.

They tensely waited for the Segaran to respond for what seemed like endless moments.

The hateful man finally purred into the radio, “But we are having such fun, aren’t we, dear?”

They could hear Sam sobbing softly, but she did not reply.

-----

The knife was still embedded in her shoulder, but Sam concentrated in trying to reclaim her composure and stop crying.

“Tell them!” Adros yelled at her, gripping her face painfully and holding the radio to her mouth.

Through her tears she looked up at him, but she summoned the hate simmering within her to respond. “Go to Hell!” she spat at him.

The officer’s response was to punch her face, knocking her out cold on the bed, her shoulder bleeding onto the sheets.

-----

Jack’s head was bowed and his fists were white as they leant on the table before him. He didn’t think he had ever hated anyone so much in his life.

“Sorry, gentlemen. Major Carter is no longer available. We will have to chat later,” Adros communicated in a mockingly pleasant tone through the radio. “Good bye!”

Hammond and Teal’c looked at each other in consternation while Jack stared blankly at nothing, his jaw tense and his heart racing inside his chest.

He was going to enjoy killing the Segaran bastard.
Chapter 5 by GenVarel
Chapter Five

Daniel awoke the second time in a different room. He was now by himself, but still at the hospital. A Segaran soldier was standing by his door and knocked on it as soon as he realized the patient was awake.

The door opened briefly and he said something to a second soldier, who looked at Daniel curiously and nodded before closing the door again.

“Hello…” Daniel addressed the soldier tentatively.

He got no response, the Segaran studiously ignoring him.

“Okay, I can get a hint,” Daniel mumbled to himself, and relaxed on the bed, waiting for his next visitor, whom he suspected would be Commander Adros. He was not disappointed.

Minutes later, the Segaran entered the room, followed by the same doctor as before.

This time Adros was not smiling. He had a black look on his face as he spoke. “Dr. Jackson, I am glad to see you are with us again. I think it is time you see your friend, Major Carter. She has been quite anxious to see you.”

Daniel thought the man sounded frustrated despite his attempt to be glib, but could not imagine why.

“You better remember to…” the doctor started to warn Adros, obviously upset at losing his patient, but the commander looked at him as if ready to strike him and the doctor did not finish speaking. He, however, held the taller man’s stare unflinchingly.

Daniel just wanted to see Sam and did not hesitate to get off the bed, the soldier by the door approaching to escort him. He was still wearing his fatigues and, when he passed by a nearby mirror, he noticed that there was a bandage on his temple.

He had to painfully follow Adros, flanked by the two soldiers as he walked on bare feet. He did not think the lack of shoes was a good sign, but obediently stepped out of the building and entered the waiting vehicle parked outside, his toes complaining at the cold ground.

Daniel noticed the doctor anxiously standing at the entrance, following the vehicle with a frown on his face as they drove away.

Huna’s technology reflected Earth’s mid twentieth century’s with small differences. Daniel knew the city was mostly industrial, with large towns dotting the countryside that seemed to be dedicated to agriculture. He could see Segaran soldiers everywhere on his way to wherever it was they were taking him. There were few Huns in the streets. The occupation seemed complete, and Daniel wondered how long he had been unconscious.

They finally arrived at a tall building in the outskirts of the city. They entered a spacious lobby and Daniel realized this was a hotel, a third rate one by Earth’s standards. He was glad, however, to be indoors again. His toes hugged the carpet gratefully, but he did not have time to warm up much before he was shoved into the elevator and taken up to one of the top floors.

Adros had not attempted to talk to him at all during the trip to the hotel, which had made Daniel feel very apprehensive. The man had abandoned any attempts to appear congenial.

He followed the commander into a room that he immediately realized was as cold as the weather outside, and his eyes became twice as big when he spotted the blurred but unmistakable form of Major Carter on a small bed devoid of sheets, huddled against the wall. She looked terrible.

“Daniel!” she cried gratefully, a smile forming on her swollen lips. She started to stand up, but Daniel realized it was difficult for her and he came to her instead, forcing himself out of his trance.

He sat next to her on the bed and engulfed her in a soft hug, not only thinking of his ribs, but also trying to be gentle with Sam. She looked badly hurt. There was a bloody bandage on her left shoulder, where her shirt had been cut open. Bruises covered her face, the left side of her jaw was swollen, and she was extremely pale. Daniel also realized that her arms felt cold as ice, and that she was shivering miserably.

“I thought you might be dead!” she whispered in relief, letting herself be hugged and plainly trying not to break down, and Daniel turned accusing eyes to their captor.

-----

Adros sullenly watched the two friends from the door, wanting very badly to separate them and take out his rage and frustration on them, but he could not. He was under orders.

The Segaran representative of the president had arrived, and his first action had been to order Adros to stop brutalizing his prisoners. The diplomat, a man named Bregan, was now staying here, at the hotel, which was being used as headquarters for the occupation. He had taken over command in order to negotiate with Earth.

Adros knew the swiftest way to get the information they wanted was to get it from the two people in the room. They had been the ones dealing with the Huns for a reason.

‘Stupid bureaucrats! They are nothing but amateurs!’ he thought in aggravation, but his hands were tied for the moment.

“I will let you two chat for a while, but I will be back,” he promised the two Earth people hugging on the bed. He then left them alone. He had work to do.

-----

Sam finally relaxed in Daniel’s arms and sighed in relief when Adros left, locking them in the room together.

“Did he do this to you?” Daniel asked Sam softly.

She nodded as he pushed her down on the bed, encouraging her to lie down. “Are you…?” he started to ask, but stopped, probably realizing it was a stupid question. She was not okay.

“They want to know how to operate the Stargate, Daniel. They want gate addresses, information on the planets we have visited…” she groaned, hugging herself. She had been cold for so long that she had almost gotten used to it, but Daniel’s warm body next to her had reminded her of how wretched she felt.

He was briskly rubbing her arms, trying to warm her up, but she was still shivering, and Daniel decided to try to do something about it. He lay down next to her and held her, wrapping his arms around her and trying to transfer some his body’s heat to hers.

Sam sighed again, snuggling close, and continued. “They want to know stuff about Earth, about the SGC, about our team. But that maniac is most interested in Ancient weapons. He thinks…” her voice broke, and she was unable to continue, a sudden, painful stab of pain emanating from her injured shoulder.

“Hush, it’s all right. I know General Hammond and Jack are probably planning our rescue as we speak. How long has it been since the attack?” he asked, gently stroking her hair.

“I’m not positive, but I think it has been about a day, maybe a little longer. I was out for a while… I’m not sure for how long, but I don’t think it was for more than a few hours.”

She was already warming up and was starting to feel drowsy, feeling comfortable and safe in the warm embrace of her friend. She had not slept for too many hours.

“Daniel, I’m tired…” she began to say.

“Sleep, Sam. I’m here now. Just rest,” he soothingly encouraged, and she just managed to nod.

-----

Daniel had never seen Sam so weak. He felt rage take hold of his heart and he internally railed against Adros. At the same time, he knew something was now holding the Segaran commander back. He just hoped that it would be for long enough so that they could get some help.

He looked down at Sam, now sleeping peacefully as her pale hands held on to his warm arms. If Jack could see her now, no one would be able to stop the Colonel from beating the crap out of the Segaran commander.

Daniel was surprised to realize that he looked forward to such a scene.

-----

“You are an idiot, Adros! A cruel idiot, to make matters worse! I bet that you would have tortured the injured man as well if the field doctor in charge had not prevented it! He filed a formal complaint against you!”

Bregan, the Segaran Presidential Representative, was pacing the large office in the bottom floor of the hotel while Adros stood stiffly in the middle of the room wishing he could strangle the little man.

“I am telling you that you are wasting your time! They will not give you anything unless you force them to. The Huns confessed, thanks to my “idiotic” measures, that the Earth people had refused to reveal much about the Stargate. What makes you think they will be more forthcoming with us, when we are not even of the same race?”

The military commander was trying very hard to remain cool, but he knew that Bregan could tell that he was furious.

“They will certainly be less forthcoming now that you have tortured one of them, you ass! And I am well aware of your measures. Two prisoners have already been killed under your personal interrogation. You are insane! Get out of here! And stay away from those two aliens! If I hear you have touched them again, I will personally see you reassigned to Grangia,” threatened the Segaran diplomat. “That would definitely be a better assignment for you! In my opinion, overseeing a prison is the only thing you’re fit to do."

Adros gave Bregan one last, malicious look, and silently turned on his heels to leave. He purposely slammed the door on his way out.

“Idiot!” he spat as he stomped down the hallway, dutifully followed by his two guards.

-----

Staring at the door Adros had exited through, Bregan let out a sigh of irritation. He had a huge mess to deal with now.

The military man had his supporters, since he had always produced results, but he was grateful that the President disliked Adros intensely and had decided not to leave the occupation under his command.

“Sir! The Stargate is active and a signal is being sent through this device again!” his secretary entered the room in a rush, holding a radio at arms length. “You need to press the side button to speak, Sir.”

He watched Bregan take a hold of the device and press the button tentatively, a professional mask suddenly falling into place.

“This is Bregan, Segaran Presidential Representative in Huna. To whom am I speaking, please?” he politely inquired.

He waited patiently for an answer, holding the radio close and giving his trusted secretary a silent order. The young man immediately left, closing the door behind him again.

“This is General Hammond of Stargate Command. I was expecting to talk to Commander Adros,” a firm and authoritarian male voice answered. It sounded tense and suspicious.

“Commander Adros is no longer in charge of this operation; I am. I am pleased that we are able to talk, General Hammond. I am eager to start negotiations with Earth and I am sure we will be able to reach a mutually beneficial agreement.” Bregan was smiling, hoping that they could tell he was sincere.

“Since we are not talking to the same person as before, I hope we can start anew and request that our people be returned safely through the gate,” the General asked optimistically.

“Personally, sir, I would love to be able to send your people back. But my orders are clear. I am to negotiate terms with you, and our only assurance that you will continue to talk to us is the presence of your people in Huna. I realize you are concerned about them, but let me assure you that I have put a stop to the torture of your Major Carter, and she is now in the company of Dr. Jackson. They are safe as long as I am in command.”

Bregan swallowed hard, knowing that the Earth people were anything but pleased with the Segarans right now. He had been informed of all the details of their previous radio conversation with Adros and he knew it would be difficult, if not impossible, to create any kind of trust between them.

“Mr. Bregan, let me say first that I am relieved to be speaking with you and not Commander Adros. I will hold you to your word that our people will remain safe. Let me also inform you that, if we were not willing to share information about the gate with the Huns, it was for their own protection. We feel the same way regarding the Segarans. Believe me when I tell you that, if you have had no activity for hundreds of years through the device, you are one of the lucky few. You probably want to leave well enough alone.”

Bregan frowned, wondering what the man meant, but he had his orders. “Even if what you say is true, General Hammond, please realize that I would never be able to convince our government of that. As I said before, my orders are clear.” Bregan spoke the truth, but even if it hadn’t been, he was now too curious about the Stargate to just leave well enough alone.

“All right! This is what I propose. Send us two Segaran representatives to negotiate terms and you have my word that they will be treated with care and respect as long as they remain here. I think it is just fair, given that you have two of ours,” Hammond suggested.

“I was about to propose the same thing, General Hammond. Now, if you would please let us know how to operate the Stargate, we will be sending our representatives within the hour,” Bregan smiled, encouraged by his early success. He had been ready for this request and now he was eager to get the negotiations going.

“No need. Colonel O’Neill will gate to your world in exactly one hour and return with your representatives for negotiations,” General Hammond replied.

“Agreed,” Bregan promptly responded. He would have to proceed one step at a time, but he intended to succeed in his mission to obtain access to the Stargate.
Chapter 6 by GenVarel
Chapter Six

Daniel could hear Sam mumble something in her sleep. She was no longer shaking, since the room had finally warmed up, and no one had bothered them since that lunatic, Adros, had left.

Sam had been sleeping for almost an hour, but Daniel still felt the need to hold her, feeling protective of her for the first time ever. She was normally the strong one, the one trying to protect him. It seemed like now it was his turn.

“Careful!” he heard clearly now, watching her sleeping face grimace in distress. She was dreaming, probably reliving one of their many close calls. They certainly had had quite a few last year alone.

He reflected on what SG-1 had recently gone through, wondering at the same time how they all still clung to their sanity. Personally, he had thought he would lose his mind for certain when he had believed himself to be a ghost. The whole crystal scull incident had left him shaken for weeks.

Poor Teal’c had recently lost yet another loved one to the Goa’uld. Unfortunately deluded Shau’nac had died at the hands of double-faced Tanith. The worst part was that his friend had not been able to avenge her death, sacrificing his desire to kill Tanith for the greater cause. Sacrificing yet something else, as if they had not all sacrificed enough!

Daniel felt Sam tense up in his arms, her bruised features reflecting anguish as she made little sounds of distress. He really should wake her. He was not sure nightmares would contribute to a healing sleep, but she suddenly relaxed again, and he stopped himself. Hopefully she would rest now.

Sam had had a particularly tough time lately, he thought. Thinking back, he remembered the three long months they had sat at Stargate Command trying to get Jack back from Edora. Well, he and Teal’c had sat. Sam had been working practically around the clock trying to build the device that would allow them to rescue Jack, only to find him in the arms of another woman when they finally did.

Daniel had been witness to what this had done to Sam, although he had not been able to talk to her about it, much less try to console her. She had still believed her love for Jack was a secret, but he and Teal’c had discussed Jack and Sam many times. Their feelings for each other had been obvious to both men for a long time.

Damned regulations! Of all the sacrifices Sam and Jack had had to make, Daniel thought their love for each other was probably the greatest. He had watched Sam seek refuge within herself, as if something inside had shattered, when they had all thought Jack had retired after the Tollan incident and gone back to Edora… back to Laira. She had not spoken to anyone for days.

Daniel had even thought about going to Janet and spilling the beans about Jack and Sam, he’d been so worried about her. Then Jack had suddenly returned to the team, expecting everything to just go back to normal.

Daniel had been hurt by Jack’s deception, but not Sam. If he had ever seen a more blatant sign of love, he could not remember. Sam had forgiven her CO and forgotten how miserable she’d been on the spot. She had just been too happy to have Jack back.

Even Teal’c had commented on it. “I understand why you are angry at O’Neill, Daniel Jackson,” he had confronted him during dinner days after. “But you must remember that he was following orders. As you often say here, his hands were tied.”

“I know, Teal’c. It’s just hard to forgive when you have been hurt deeply. He did tell me our friendship meant nothing to him, remember?” Daniel had just not been feeling very forgiving at the time.

“You must follow Major Carter’s example,” Teal’c had chided. “If anyone should be holding a grudge, it should be her.”

Daniel had not been able to argue with that, and had finally forgiven Jack. How could he not? Sam had done so, having been hurt the worst.

Then, a few months later, Freia had visited them for the first time with her nifty little armbands. That’s when Daniel had known for sure that Sam was not the only one deeply in love.

Jack had preferred to die with her rather than leave her to die alone in Apophis’ ship. Talk about sacrifices! The four of them had been willing to give up their own lives and be buried forever under the distant planet’s mountain rather than leave each other behind. They all loved each other, but Jack and Sam felt more than just the affection expected between devoted teammates.

Teal’c had confirmed their suspicions about the depth of Jack’s love for Sam weeks later, after the zatarc incidents at the SGC. He had been there when Jack had had to confess in public his love for his Major.

Daniel felt sorry beyond words for having missed that one! But Teal’c had been forthcoming with details. The big man had actually smiled sadly telling the story, describing how hard it had been for Jack to finally confess to his feelings for Sam.

How could Jack and Sam continue treating each other with such professionalism after that, Daniel could not understand. But they were doing it, just as if it had never happened. SG-1 and their mission meant that much to both of them!

Although he did not agree with their decision to comply with the military’s regulations instead of fighting them, he admired them both for doing so. He knew they were doing it because they considered themselves and their own feelings unimportant compared to being able to fight together against the Goa’uld.

Yes, sacrifices were a fact of life for SG-1, an unavoidable reality. Daniel felt he was the one sacrificing the least, since he had the least to sacrifice. That was small consolation, but some consolation nonetheless.

Poor Teal’c had given up everything, his position, his home, his family, and his people. The man’s single-mindedness, his strength, and his determination were astounding and admirable. Only a truly noble heart could do what he was doing.

Daniel felt pride with the knowledge that the former First Prime considered him one of his close friends, and again begun to recollect the sad circumstances that had made this friendship a reality.

“No!” Sam suddenly shouted in her sleep, sitting up abruptly and scaring Daniel half to death, scattering his recent thoughts in the process.

“Sam, it’s okay! It’s just a dream,” Daniel reassured her calmly, easing her back to lie on the bed again. He could feel her heart racing, but she just closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and forced herself to calm down.

“Do you want to talk about it?” Daniel offered, knowing the answer already.

Sam just shook her head and snuggled closer to Daniel, seeking comfort.

He obligingly held her tight, careful not to hurt his own ribs. “Try to go back to sleep, Sam. We don’t know how long our reprieve will last, and you’re exhausted.”

She just nodded, gripped his hand in hers and went back to sleep right away.

Daniel kissed her bruised cheek, hoping she would have no more dreams.

-----

“Why not? It just doesn’t seem reasonable to hold two injured people when you are trying to negotiate with us in good faith,” Hammond was arguing with the two Segaran representatives in the briefing room.

Jack was sitting to his right, pale with fury and struggling to remain in his seat. Teal’c looked particularly menacing, his eyes no longer calm.

Hammond was trying to get Sam and Daniel back in exchange for Jack and Teal’c, at Jack’s insistence, but he was getting nowhere.

“We understand that these two people are the most knowledgeable in matters regarding to the Stargate,” the woman representative, Edrana, was explaining. “Our government is unwilling to let them go when the possibility remains that our negotiations with you may prove to be fruitless.”

The woman was a skilled diplomat, able to give them a firm “no” without losing her serenity and coming across quite pleasant while doing so.

“Please understand that we are trying to protect your friends from the military. If we try to remove them, we may be forcing their hand. They are not happy with us for having taken over command of the Huna occupation,” the Segaran man contributed.

The woman looked at him sharply, indicating to those present that she had not intended to divulge such information.

“You mean they are still in danger, then,” Hammond jumped at the implication.

“Not at all, we promise,” Edrana assured Hammond unconvincingly. “They are safe, and as long as we continue our negotiations in good faith, they will remain so,” she smiled.

No one believed her.

“I suppose we will have to accept that for now,” Hammond conceded unhappily, giving Jack a warning glance in order to keep the Colonel from interrupting. Teal’c straightened in his chair, lifting his chin in displeasure, but said nothing.

“All we want is to understand our origins and contact our people. The Huns now know that they originated in this planet and are able to return here if they wish,” Edrana stopped, clearly noticing Hammond’s reaction.

“We never told the Huns they could return to Earth! That would be impossible for countless reasons. We were only negotiating access to the Ancient ruins, which is part of our ongoing mission, in exchange for information about their origins and some medical advances we have that would be beneficial to them, given our similar physiologies,” Hammond explained.

“We understand they were also negotiating for weapons technology,” Omnem, the Segaran diplomat contributed cautiously.

Jack leaned over the table, plainly close to losing his patience. “That’s against our policy! We told them “no” on that one.” His anger was evident in the tightly closed fists resting on the table, if not in the barely controlled tone of voice. “Tell your spies to get their stories straight!”

The woman gently addressed the Colonel. “All that is irrelevant now, Colonel O’Neill. We honestly do not care what you would or would not have agreed to with the Huns. What we want is to be able to use the Stargate to search for our home planet. Surely you can understand our need.” She was using an effectively placating tone to which O’Neill seemed to respond. “We are not happy where we are. The continent we were relocated to is extremely small, and our population has grown too large, with nowhere else to go. Huns and Segarans were never able to get along, and our planet is too small for both races to thrive. Please understand that the only option to relocation through the Stargate is to displace the Huns, something many of us do not want to do. We are seeking diplomatic solutions to our problem.”

The Segaran woman was convincing, but Hammond wondered how many Segarans were really that peaceful and reasonable, having already dealt with Adros.

“Giving you access to the Stargate and the addresses we possess would be a disservice to your people, one I could hardly live with. Stargate travel is extremely dangerous, and we have never come across beings such as you, although humans populate many of the planets we have visited. Even if we gave you only the addresses that we have not explored, it is more likely that you will come across the Goa’uld or someone worse. And believe me, despite everything we have told you about the Goa’uld, there are worse enemies out there. Your planet would become a target; you could be enslaved or destroyed. Are you willing to risk that?”

Hammond could be convincing as well, and the two Segaran representatives looked pensive.

“This has been a good first meeting, very productive,” Edrana finally said. “We have learnt much about the Goa’uld and yourselves. We have exchanged points of view that are worth discussing further with our government. I personally do believe you are trying to protect us, but our original problem remains. Let us return to Huna and discuss this with Bregan. He is a reasonable man and will confer with our government back in Segara, and we will return when we are ready to continue our negotiations,” she concluded, turning off her recording device.

The two Segarans then stood up and bowed to the three men sitting across from them, who also stood.

Hammond sighed in resignation, knowing he had no choice but to let them go for now.

-----

Back in Huna, Sam and Daniel were now resting in more comfortable beds, having been moved to another room. They had been fed and clothed as well.

Sam was sleeping again, and Daniel was happy to see that she did not seem to be dreaming. He had demanded proper medical attention for Sam and had voiced his displeasure at her treatment in no uncertain terms when an apologetic Bregan had come to visit hours ago.

A real doctor had come shortly afterwards and had treated Sam’s wound. He had also provided analgesics for the pain and had given her a sedative so that she could rest. But she had taken a long, hot shower in an attempt to warm up her chilled bones and ease her sore muscles, only getting out when Daniel had complained. He had reminded her that, at any time, the Segarans could change their minds and come bursting into the room to torture them some more.

As he watched her sleep, Daniel observed that the blue blouse and pants they had provided for her to wear were almost too small and molded to her figure in a most flattering way. It was a good thing Sam was normally in uniform, or he did not think Jack would have been able to remain such a professional CO.

Neither of them had shoes yet, but they were warm now. His poor friend looked battered, her beautiful skin only getting darker where that animal had abused her. Her hair was the longest he had ever seen on her and gave her a more feminine, vulnerable look, one he was not used to. She looked deceptively fragile and harmless in her sleep. How could any man bring himself to hit her?

Bregan had assured Daniel that they would be treated as guests from now on, but was sorry that they could not leave their room, and he had informed them about the negotiations currently under way back on Earth.

Daniel wished he could be a fly on the wall, knowing the mood Jack and Teal’c were probably in.
Chapter 7 by GenVarel
Chapter Seven

Commander Sache was satisfied. He had been successful in evading the Segaran forces, having moved most of his troops to the countryside when it was obvious they could not save the city. Now that the bombing was no longer a threat, they were ready for a counterattack, one he knew the Segarans never expected. The enemy did not have their spy in place any longer. The Huns had figured out who it was, and the man was now dead.

They had suspected him for a long time and had kept an eye on him, feeding him disinformation occasionally. But they had never expected the Segarans to move so quickly after the Stargate had been activated. They had been ill prepared to face a full-blown invasion of Huna.

The Huns had not been as successful as the Segarans in gathering intelligence during the past few years. They had, however, been prepared with stockpiles of ammunition in secret bunkers for such an attack. Secret tunnels and well-positioned civilian spies inside the city were proving to be invaluable.

Multiple strikes were planned, one of them the Ancient ruins area. They needed control of the Stargate back so that they could contact Earth and obtain medical assistance. The promised medical supplies were one of the things they needed most at the present time, and he hoped that now they would be more willing to share advanced weaponry.

Sache was ready to give the SGC anything they wanted in return for their help. He knew that they were aware of their situation since he had seen the Colonel and Teal’c escape. He also knew that the other half of the Earth team was being held prisoner in Huna, and that Colonel O’Neill would be desperate to get them back.

Sache respected and admired the alien Colonel. They had hit it off immediately, just as Dr. Jackson had hit it off with unfortunate Dr. Trenis.

The Hun archeologist had been taken prisoner and tortured to death by that murderer, Adros, his spies had informed him, and he was well aware that the Segaran commander was now beside himself with fury at having been removed from command.

A furious Adros was an extremely dangerous Adros, not that he would be harmless under the best of circumstances, but Sache hoped Bregan would be able to remain in command.

If the diplomat lost control, things could get extremely messy… or rather, messier.

-----

Bregan was in the middle of a long distance conversation with the Segaran President when he heard a commotion outside his office. He then heard his secretary cry out and something shatter.

Moments later, his door was kicked open by a big, burly soldier that wasted no time in grabbing the little diplomat by his shoulders to drag him from behind his desk. The receiver in Bregan’s hand just clattered down to the floor and a self-possessed, calm Adros strode slowly into the office, picking it up and cutting the communication by hanging up.

“You have just been officially relieved of command, Bregan,” the commander informed him coolly.

“That’s impossible! I was just talking to the President…” Bregan started to protest in indignation, but was brusquely interrupted.

“The President has no longer any control over Huna,” Adros smiled spitefully. “I do.”

“You are mad! What do you think you are doing? You can be executed for this!” Bregan was shaking with anger and impotence, not quite believing his ears.

“I am trying to retain control of the occupation, you imbecile!” Adros yelled in his face. “There have been multiple attacks in strategic areas of the city and they are being successful. They already regained control of the Stargate thanks to your incompetence!”

“Why was I not informed?” Bregan asked shakily, flabbergasted by the devastating news.

“I am telling you now, as I am also telling you that you are now my prisoner. You will remain under custody until this situation has been resolved and I have been able to reassert our dominance over Huna and over the Stargate.”

Adros dismissed Bregan immediately after this, turning his back on him and ordering the soldier to remove the stammering diplomat.

Bregan didn’t resist. He knew he was dealing with a mad man, and he valued his life enough to keep his mouth shut for the time being.

-----

Adros paced the command office in deep thought, approaching the only window and glaring through the glass at the ugly Hunan city.

He had known it would come to this. He had known the stupid bureaucrats would ruin everything, so he had been ready. A military coup had been the only solution, and it was now up to him now to use the necessary measures to succeed. His people would thank him in the end. They would eventually realize that he was right and that they depended on him to get what they wanted.

A smile of satisfaction crossed his dark features. They were already working on it. Although they had lost control of the Stargate, he knew they could get it back.

-----

The two Segaran diplomats raised their hands in dismay and fear when they finished stepping through the Stargate. Hun soldiers were pointing weapons at them, and an elegant, tall man in obvious command was serenely regarding them, his hands formally held behind his back.

“I am Commander Sache. I assume you know me,” he addressed them seriously.

“We know who you are. What has happened?” the woman diplomat responded at once.

“We have taken control of the Stargate back, as you can see, as well as other strategic areas of Huna. It will not be long before your army is forced to surrender. An air attack is under way over Segara as well, in retaliation for yours. We are, however, only targeting military sites. We’re not willing to inflict the carnage on your people that you inflicted on ours. We… are civilized,” Sache explained, his voice low and stern.

“Please understand that our government’s only intention was to…” the woman tried to explain, but Sache lifted a hand to silence her and she fearfully obeyed.

“What your government’s intentions were are no longer relevant. What it inflicted on my people is what counts. But do not fear; I am not planning to be as pitiless to you as your people have been to mine. Although our President is dead, I’m not planning to have yours killed. You both will also be safe as long as you cooperate. I only need from you the means to contact Earth.”

“We do not know how to contact them. They will be contacting us in one hour. We are supposed to confer with Bregan, our Presidential Representative, and return to Earth once Colonel O’Neill comes to pick us up to continue our negotiations,” the Segaran diplomat answered, unconsciously stepping in front of the woman in a futile attempt to shield her from danger.

“Your Presidential Representative has been relieved of command by your military commander, Adros, and is being held captive. I do not believe your President is aware of this fact yet, by the way,” Sache informed them quietly.

“That’s terrible! He cannot do that!” both diplomats reacted in alarm.

“He has done so, nonetheless. You will remain under custody here until Colonel O’Neill returns. Then you will accompany us back to Earth in order to negotiate cease of hostilities between our countries, as well as a solution to your old problem,” Sache instructed them in a no nonsense tone.

“We are not authorized to…” the woman started to protest, but the Hun brought up his hand once more.

“You will do a great disservice to your people if you do not take this opportunity to reach a solution to your problem. Bregan, as well as your government, are no longer in control of the situation. A madman is. If you want to prevent further bloodshed from both sides, you will do as I say.”

Sache calmly stood there, just waiting for the diplomats’ response and knowing that they had no choice.

They exchanged brief looks and finally nodded in acceptance.

-----

Daniel first knew that something was wrong when he heard distant gunfire again. A few minutes later, it seemed to be getting closer.

An hour dragged on, and he could still hear the signs of conflict coming closer and closer to their building. He tried to peek through the window, but he could only see smoke coming out from various spots in the city. Something was going on, and he felt it was not going to bode well for him and his still sleeping teammate.

“Sam! Wake up!” he shook his friend lightly, whispering with his face very close to hers.

She immediately opened her eyes and looked at him in alarm, sitting up right away. “What is it?” she whispered back, trying hard to shake herself fully alert.

“Something’s going on, Sam. There are signs of fighting in the city, where there were none before. I think the Huns are fighting back… trying to take back the city,” he knew he was babbling, but he was suddenly apprehensive and wanted her to be ready for anything.

Sam was about to say something when the door abruptly flew open, four soldiers entering the room with weapons aimed at them. Daniel quickly helped Sam up and tried to shove her behind him, but she would not let him, standing stubbornly to his side.

A most unwelcome sight then followed. Adros entered the room with a smirk on his face, followed by a bound Bregan, being manhandled by a soldier twice his size.

“As you can see, things have returned to normalcy. I wanted you to know that for certain. Mr. Bregan, please inform our guests of our situation,” he ordered the little man, not deigning to look at him.

Bregan looked reluctant, but answered in a firm voice, “Commander Adros has unlawfully taken command of the Huna occupation. We are all at his mercy, so expect none,” he warned them with sincere-sounding concern.

“Very well put, Bregan. Thank you,” Adros smiled sarcastically, still looking at his two alien prisoners and ignoring the diplomat. “Take him back to his room!” he then ordered the brawny soldier, who wasted no time in dragging the poor man out by the neck.

Sam grasped Daniel’s arm in trepidation, probably worried as much for him as for herself, and he covered her hand with his, trying to reassure her but feeling just as much horror.

As usual, he started talking, trying to buy some time. “I understand you are interested in information regarding the Stargate. If you’d like to list the items in order of importance, Sam and I could start…”

Daniel was stopped by a loud guffaw, Adros evidently extremely amused with his proposal. He chuckled for a few moments, looking at his two victims with cruel anticipation.

“No need for lists, Dr. Jackson. It will be simpler than that. You both will answer my questions or suffer the consequences. The first one is, who would like to go first?” he asked menacingly and with a nasty smile, eagerly waiting for a response.

Daniel did not miss a beat. “I will!”

“No, Daniel! You’re injured, you can’t…” Sam protested immediately, and Daniel could see her fear clearly reflected in her blue eyes. She clearly knew what Adros was capable of. But Daniel knew as well.

“So are you,” Daniel insisted, looking at her levelly.

She stared back at him, despair in her eyes.

-----

Sam stared back at her friend, trying to summon the authority to order to back down and let her handle the situation, but realizing that the Daniel she thought she knew was different now.

When had he become a soldier? Sometime, when they were not looking, the geek boy had become a strong man. Jack would be so proud! Still, she could not let him.

“No, Daniel,” she said gently. “What he’s most interested in is the weapon technology in the museum. Only I can tell him about that,” she explained, a strange look in her eyes.

She could tell that he knew that she was trying to tell him something, but he clearly still did not want to allow Adros to get his hands on her again.

“Sam…” he insisted.

“Trust me, Daniel!” she interrupted in a louder tone.

Sam knew she had to distract the sadistic man away from Daniel. Not only was he still hurt; she also knew that Adros would try to use them against each other. She had to draw him away from here, to the museum, where she could maybe escape.

Adros had been watching the exchange with gratification, evidently enjoying himself immensely. “This is extremely touching, but I have a simpler solution. Why don’t we all play together?”

Sam turned wary eyes on him. He was smiling widely, enjoying both teammates’ reactions of alarm. He then ordered the four soldiers to handcuff both prisoners and sit them face-to-face across the one table in the room.

“You don’t have to do this! Just ask me anything! I will tell you!” Daniel assured him.

Sam knew he was bluffing, of course. He would tell lies, and Adros surely knew it as well.

“Yes, you will, Dr. Jackson, sooner than you think.”

Sam swallowed hard, knowing this man was just as evil as any Goa’uld she had ever met.

-----

Jack stepped through the Stargate with a sour look on his face, expecting to find the two Segaran diplomats waiting for him. His sour look turned into one of delight when he faced a smiling Commander Sache instead.

“Sache! God, I’m so glad to see you!” he cried, stepping over to his friend and grasping his hand in greeting.

Sache seemed pleased by the Colonel’s reaction and smiled even wider.

“As you can see, Colonel O’Neill, we are trying to remedy our situation, but we were hoping we could count on your help to do so quickly,” the Commander wasted no time.

Jack nodded and noticed the two Segaran diplomats meekly standing aside, watching the two soldiers. “What about them?” he asked.

“They will accompany us to Earth, if you will allow it, to try to negotiate a cease fire and a solution to the problem that has precipitated these events. This is something we should have done long ago.”

Jack realized that the soldier standing before him was much more than a military commander now. He was now the nation’s true leader.

“Colonel O’Neill! You must know that your people are no longer safe!” Edrana informed him in consternation. “Commander Adros has taken over command.”

The woman looked horrified, and Jack felt his world come crashing on his head.

“Let’s go!” he replied, turning to the DHD and dialing Earth at once. They did not have much time!
Chapter 8 by GenVarel
Chapter Eight

General Hammond was surprised to see Jack return with four people in tow instead of only two, but he said nothing and waited for his Colonel to explain.

Jack wasted no time. “Sir, this is Commander Klem Sache and his second-in-command, Lieutenant Commander Zac Tomaz. Circumstances have changed on P3X-888. The Hun forces are organized and fighting back for control of Huna. They’re now in control of the Stargate and are asking for our help. They also want to negotiate peace terms with our two Segaran friends here.”

Hammond quickly assimilated the new information and then nodded gravely. “Let’s move this to the briefing room,” he ordered. “Commanders, it is a pleasure to finally meet you. Please follow us,” the General addressed the Hun men. The two Segaran diplomats were ushered ahead of Jack, looking hesitant but resigned with the role they were about to play.

-----

Sam was staring in revulsion at the set of knives displayed on the table between her and Daniel. The one Adros had already used on her still lay there, sticky with her blood and no doubt intended to remind her that the man was quite capable of using it again.

The Segaran was distractedly fingering the tools of torture while gazing at his victims menacingly, talking in an almost offhand manner. “It is only fair to establish the rules of the game, and I am nothing if not fair. I will ask a question and the person addressed will answer. If I don’t get a satisfactory answer, the other person will get punished.”

Sam looked at Daniel, who returned her look with dark concern. This was exactly what she had tried to avoid. They were about to experience “step three” of the Segaran interrogation procedure.

Adros casually picked up a sharp blade from the set and tried its sharpness on his finger. “Ouch! It’s perfect!” he glibly said, sucking his bloody finger and smiling at Sam, then at Daniel.

Sam noticed that Daniel looked worried, but she hoped her eyes were screaming her loathing. She wasn’t surprised when Adros slowly strolled to her side, still holding the knife as he used his free hand to caress her bruised face.

Sam forced herself to stare at a point behind Daniel’s head, forbidding herself from reacting to the threat. She clenched her fists behind her back, straining against the handcuffs in vain.

The pacing man smiled and placed himself behind her, where she could not tell what he was doing, still holding her face softly between his fingers. The glinting blade came into Sam’s view, its edge just grazing her cheek, not close enough to cut yet.

“We will start with little warnings, such as a little cut here,” he said, placing the blade on her chin, “Or here,” the blade stroked her other cheek lightly, “Or here,” he emphasized, and Sam felt the knife rest on her chest.

She made the mistake of glancing at Daniel and saw her own horror reflected in his eyes. Her friend did not dare say a word, clearly afraid that the man would cut her.

“If I start losing my patience, we will proceed to make some real damage.” Adros then let go of Sam and strolled to Daniel’s side. “We could start with an ear,” he drew a circle around Daniel’s left ear with the blade, “Or a nose,” He pricked Daniel’s nose lightly, making the archeologist close his eyes against his will, “Or a couple of fingers,” Adros concluded, looking again at Sam with a grin.

He then approached her again, against her will drawing her eyes to his, as mesmerizing as a venomous serpent. “Dr. Jackson, what were you working on when we so rudely interrupted you?”

Daniel did not hesitate. “I was working with Dr. Trenis on a translation.”

“Interesting,” Adros replied, sitting on the table and facing Sam, the knife still in his hand. He continued to address the archeologist at his back, seemingly eager for the young man to slip so that he could inflict some pain on the woman sitting before him. “What did the translation reveal?”

“Nothing. I… I wasn’t able to…” Daniel stammered and gasped as Adros’ knife flew to Sam’s chest and sliced the top of her blouse open, eliciting an involuntary whimper of alarm from her.

“I’m telling you that we had not been successful yet! It’s the truth, I swear!” Daniel shouted at the man, sounding desperate to stop him.

Adros caressed Sam’s newly revealed cleavage with the blade, as if savoring what he could do with it and still not looking at Daniel as he spoke. “All right, I believe you, Dr. Jackson.” He seemed almost reluctant as he removed the knife from Sam’s heaving breast and turned to Daniel, walking to his side in a couple of steps.

“Major Carter,” he addressed Sam now. “What were you working on when we so rudely interrupted?” he asked, waving the blade in front of Daniel’s eyes, seemingly undecided on where he would like to inflict his first cut on the man.

Sam licked her lips quickly, but hurriedly answered. “I was working on trying to activate what looked like an energy weapon,” she lied, hoping Adros would swallow the bait. He looked back at her with interest. “Really?”

‘He bought it!’ she thought, giving Adros a level stare and hoping to keep his attention. “I have seen similar weapons before, from other outposts such as the one here, and I was able to activate one once.” Sam swallowed, sinking deeper into her lie.

Adros was actually salivating at the possibility, she could tell. “Do you think you can activate the one you were working on?” he asked her, forgetting about the knife in his hand momentarily.

“Possibly… I’m not sure, but I think so.” She hoped her acting was good, or both Daniel and she would be feeling the sharp end of that knife soon. She could almost see the wheels turning in the Segaran Commander’s brain. He had sat on the table again, silently considering the possibilities of such a weapon.

She knew that he was thinking that, if he mastered a powerful weapon and he could extract from Daniel and her the information necessary to dial Earth, he could bully the SGC into giving him all the information he wanted. He, of course, had no idea that an iris existed to prevent him from doing such a thing.

“Sam,” Daniel said, believing her deception and clearly worrying about the consequences.

Adros moved quicker than Sam ever thought he was capable of, and slashed at Daniel’s chest in rage, cutting through his shirt and leaving a long, bleeding gash behind.

“AHH!” Daniel cried, taken by surprise and grimacing in pain.

“I will NOT do anything if you keep hurting him, I promise you that!” Sam shouted at Adros, the defiant look on her face again.

The man turned to her with a malevolent look, and she quickly added, “I will cooperate. I realize you are in control, Adros. I admit that!”

Adros stood, a smile of satisfaction spreading on his face. “Well, see how much progress we can make when we are more forthcoming?” he declared. “Now, the only thing I still would like to hear is how to contact your friends back on Earth so that we can chat. What is Earth’s Stargate address?”

He was addressing both Sam and Daniel, and they looked at each other, not sure about what they should say. Angry at their hesitation, Adros slashed at Daniel’s arm, leaving another, this time deeper, oozing wound on his bicep.

“AHHH! Stop!” Daniel reacted to the unexpected attack, shutting his eyes in pain and helplessness.

“All right!” Sam cried, “I will tell you! Just don’t touch him again!”

She knew that their GDO codes would have been changed the moment they became prisoners. She was also hoping that she could buy enough time for the SGC to send some help before they ever had to dial Earth.

Adros smiled again, approaching Sam with a gloating look on his face as he leant toward her, his mouth close to her ear again and the knife back to stroking her breasts under her blouse.

She watched as Daniel strained against his bindings. She knew, as well as him, that the Segaran was going to hurt her just for fun, despite what she had promised.

Sam’s breathing was short and rapid, terror and hatred making her heart race. She knew Adros wanted very badly to use his knife on her, and she also knew how that knife felt when he did.

“I knew you’d come around, my dear. Although, I must say, I wish it hadn’t been so soon,” he whispered with a malicious smile, his lips almost touching her ear.

He pulled away to look at her face, blatantly savoring her fear. He then slowly and perversely pricked the tender skin of her breast with the point of the knife, right above her heart and just deep enough to draw blood, eliciting a shudder from Sam that only seemed to incite him to dig a little deeper.

Sam was willing herself to remain silent, her eyes closed in concentration, but a whimper of pain escaped her lips as he sank the blade further into her flesh, blood trickling down her cleavage and soaking her blouse.

“Please, stop! She told you she’d cooperate! What else do you want?” Daniel yelled at Adros from across the table, sounding horrified.

Suddenly, a very excited Segaran soldier burst into the room. He was almost hysterical. “SIR! We are under attack!”

-----

Jack and Teal’c were well inside the hotel now. They had used their zats numerous times as they had made progress through the hallways, checking rooms as they went. A few Hun soldiers followed them, impressed with the energy weapons and doing their fair amount of damage with their own projectile guns, very similar to Earth’s.

Jack’s mission was the recovery of his team. Major Ferretti and the other SG teams were working closely with Commander Sache in the fight against the few remaining Segaran strongholds throughout the city. Medical teams from Earth carrying loads of emergency supplies had also been deployed, and the air strike over Segara had been halted when the two Segaran diplomats had agreed to terms with Sache and his second-in-command.

Jack and Teal’c had finally reached the room on the top floor where Bregan had told them Sam and Daniel were being held. The diplomat was now in Sache’s company, downstairs in the lobby, and the Hun Commander was securing the building and its surroundings, as well as communicating with the Segaran President through the much-relieved Segaran diplomat.

Jack kicked the hotel door open, breaking it in two as he stepped into the room, ready to shoot. The room was empty.

The Hun soldiers poured into the room behind him and checked the bathroom, verifying that they were alone.

Teal’c came to Jack’s side as he noticed that he was mesmerized by something resting on the only table in the room.

Jack’s heart raced with dread as he stared at a set of seven sharp knives sitting on a dark piece of cloth, one of them bloody. There were also numerous drops of blood on the floor and on the table’s surface, and then he noticed the small pool of blood and the smears on the other side of the table.

“I’m going to kill that son-of-a-bitch, so help me God!” Jack said through clenched teeth.

“Indeed,” Teal’c growled behind him.

“Sir! We found this man trying to escape the floor!” a Hun soldier came in dragging a Segaran man in uniform. The man fell to his knees inside the room as soon as the soldier released him. He was bleeding from a chest wound, and Jack hoped that some of the blood in the room belonged to this poor schmuck.

Jack calmly pulled his handgun, pointed it at the wincing man’s head, and said in a deathly tone, “You have only one chance to tell me where the two prisoners were taken to.”

The man clearly understood that Jack was not bluffing. He took one look into the furious Colonel’s hard eyes and he replied instantly. “They were headed for the Museum of Archeology! That’s all I know!”

The Segaran soldier was shaking in fright, lifting his hands as if to ward off the bullet, and Jack forced himself to put away his gun reminding himself that this was not Adros. Still glaring at the kneeling man, he asked in a freezing tone, “Where the hell is the Archeology Museum?”

“I will take you, O’Neill,” Teal’c assured him, and turned to leave the room without further hesitation.

Jack dismissed the cringing Segaran soldier and followed his teammate.

-----

Sam and Daniel had been roughly shoved into a vehicle parked behind the hotel and joined by a soldier on each side. Adros and another soldier sat in the front seats as the Segaran on the wheel drove them speedily toward the same museum they had been working at less than two days ago.

Sam had no idea what she was going to do once they got there, but she knew she had a better chance of escaping there than she did at the hotel.

Daniel was probably thinking along the same lines, glancing at her during the trip and gasping in pain as much as she did with every rough turn and violent bump along the road.

They did not dare to speak since Daniel had been painfully jabbed in the ribs by one of the soldiers when he had started to ask a question earlier.

Sam could tell that Adros was fuming again. The soldier that had brought the bad news earlier had also shared that they had been unable to recapture the Stargate and that other skirmishes were not going well.

An irate Adros had turned on him with a snarl, stabbing the soldier in the chest for his trouble. Sam did not think the man would die from the wound, but he had been left bleeding on the floor of the hotel room.

Adros had then swiftly and brutally lifted Sam by the hair, his obvious preference, and dragged her out of the room as he shouted orders for the two remaining soldiers to bring Daniel along.

They had quickly run down the back stairs to the waiting vehicle in the alley. Sam thought she had heard the sound of zat guns from the stairwell and had been tempted to scream, but Adros had still held the bloody knife in his hand, and she had not dared to tempt him to use it one final time.

She just hoped Jack and Teal’c would make it to the museum in time to help them before Adros managed to kill them.
Chapter 9 by GenVarel
Chapter Nine

Two Hun soldiers drove Jack and Teal’c through the city, followed by two other vehicles full of combatants, everyone ready to search the museum.

Reaching the old building seemed to take an eternity for Jack, who knew Daniel and Sam could be killed at any moment. Teal’c was characteristically silent as Jack’s mind wandered, his anxiety taking over for a few minutes. Were both of them still alive? What if they arrived too late?

He closed his eyes and, in his mind, he saw Sam’s lifeless body lying on the floor, a knife sticking out of her chest and her eyes open in death. He shook his head and refused to allow the scene to replay itself in his mind. He could not bear the thought.

Instead, he looked back to almost six weeks ago when he and Teal’c had been caught in that crazy time loop, and remembered how her lips felt under his. Yes, a much more pleasant thought!

He remembered how she had melted in his arms after initially going stiff with shock, her arm circling his neck and her hot mouth opening in welcome despite the stunned witnesses around them.

There was one definite advantage to being a genius. He had not had to waste too many words explaining why he was doing what he was doing.

“In seven hours I will have to relive the past ten. I want to live these seven hours with you,” he had whispered to her, his lips barely leaving hers.

She had smiled at him in understanding, and they had left a bemused General Hammond blustering in indignation, both quickly walking away, hand in hand and laughing at the bewildered personnel they left in their wake.

And they had done so many times.

-----

The first time, Jack had intended to content himself with kissing the heck out of Samantha Carter, maybe have an intimate talk at last, or just spend time with her as the woman he loved, not as a colleague.

They had only made it to the closest storage closet when he had decided he had waited long enough. He had shoved a giggling Sam into it and had started kissing her passionately, her body pressed against the closed door as his hands roamed her curves.

She had returned every kiss and every caress, laughing nervously at their naughtiness in between kisses and generally goofing around, ignoring the few times someone tried the door. They explored each other’s bodies like teenagers, but the game had not lasted long. Their emotions had taken over, as if they had lacked will of their own.

“Your quarters?” she had asked suddenly, pushing him away breathlessly.

“My quarters!” he had agreed immediately, and they had ducked out of the closet and run all the way.

Once there, to his surprise, she had taken the initiative and begun to undress him, panting in anticipation as her hands shook. He had not held back then, spurred by her eagerness letting his need guide him.

They had made love twice, the first time hurriedly and explosively. The second time slowly and lovingly. Then they had lain naked on his bed, intertwined under the covers and talking about their forbidden feelings, finally stroking each other at their leisure.

Jack smiled with the memory of how Sam had responded to his actions, every time in the same way… and with amusement at how he had felt every time he’d found himself with a spoonful of Fruit Loops close to his mouth when the time loop had restarted, missing the very delectable lips of his Major.

Every time the loop started anew, he and Teal’c had had to waste some time explaining to Daniel, Janet, General Hammond and Sam what was going on. The medical tests would follow and theories would be discussed. But, brilliant Daniel, thanks to him he had realized he had been missing a golden opportunity, and for many loops — he was not sure how many — he had then ran to Daniel’s chalkboard, written on it everything they had translated to that point, and left the confused archeologist to his own devices.

He had then turned to Teal’c and told him to go off and do something fun. Teal’c had been as sick of the situation as Jack, and had taken off happily to do whatever it was that he did. Jack had never asked him what it was because he did not want to have to tell Teal’c what he had been doing with his Major.

The next step had been to type his letter of resignation, change his clothes and find Sam and General Hammond. The rest of the time he had spent with Sam in his quarters, enjoying what he could of the unexpected holiday, lost in his oldest fantasy come true.

After the first time, they had skipped the storage closet and run directly to his quarters. His feelings for Sam had been unlocked, bursting to express themselves, and he had taken the initiative from then on.

She had never hesitated, and the feel of her in his arms had been even better than he remembered from years ago.

Yes, he had had her in his arms once, kissed her once. Well, it had not really been her, but the other Sam, the one the other Jack had married in the alternate reality. He had enjoyed that bittersweet kiss back then, he had to admit. But the kisses he had shared with his own Sam had been a thousand times better. They had been ardent with love, sensuality, playfulness and promise.

Weeks before, during the zatarc incidents, he had already admitted, in public and to his chagrin, that he loved her. She had later been forced to do the same, and both had had to continue acting as if such words had never been spoken. They had had to continue sacrificing their feelings for each other, now a horrendously difficult feat knowing that their love was mutual.

He had had to convince a worried Dr. Fraiser that their feelings for each other would not affect their jobs and his decision-making ability. It had been a hard sell, but Janet had not wanted to make it any more difficult for them than it already was and had not said a word to General Hammond about the depth of Jack and Sam’s feelings.

Freya had diplomatically not addressed with anyone what had transpired in the lab, and Teal’c had been as quiet as a mountain about the subject. He had never mentioned the incident, not even to Jack.

For a long time before that awful day, Jack had suspected that Sam shared his. But actually saying the words had hit him with the brutal reality of his unattainable desires, and he suspected that Sam had been affected in the same way.

Ever since then, they had been trying to avoid each other as much as possible, both trying to put the experience behind them and not wanting to face temptation when the truth was so freshly in the open. They both had found a way to never be alone with each other. But every time they bumped into each other in the hallway, every time they slept across from each other as they camped at night in another planet, every time they accidentally touched during a mission or during a briefing, they had met each other’s eyes and expressed through longing looks what they could not express with their bodies.

That crazy time loop experience, as exasperating and difficult as it had been, had given them the chance to finally give in to their feelings. Even if she did not remember it now, he did, and he treasured those memories as no others.

Jack was actually glad that Sam could not remember. She did not know what they were missing, as he did. He knew how hard it had been for him to remain professional and he would have hated for her to go through the same ordeal.

Yes, he and Sam had given in to their passion and to their secret love for each other. The first time had been like dying and going to heaven. She had been more beautiful than he had ever imagined. She had been softer and warmer than he had ever fantasized, and she had been more passionate than he had ever hoped.

Her body had been a perfect match for his, her cries of pleasure an antidote to all the bitterness he had been carrying in his heart for so long. Her caresses and her whispered words of love had healed all his wounds, and her responsive body had finally quenched the ever present thirst and satisfied the voracious hunger his soul had learned to live with. At least for a while.

Jack had felt reborn after the experience, but he had reluctantly allowed duty to take over eventually, and he and Teal’c had finally finished working on the translation with Daniel.

He loved and needed Sam Carter, but he could not have her, not permanently. So, if Sam could not be his, at least he had to know that she would be around where he could always see her, hear her, smell her, and be with her. The thought of her dying and leaving him alone was excruciating.

Yes, their jobs were dangerous and he knew this was always a real possibility. But he had somehow convinced himself that he would be the one to die first. In his mind, part of her perfection was his own belief that she could not be killed or taken away, not before he died.

Fool! Of course he was a fool! But it had made their situation bearable for him, even if he had always known that he was deluding himself. Even if he’d always known that it was just another fantasy.

Jack was glad when they finally arrived at the museum, and not only because now they could get on with their rescue mission. He was glad he could now act and stop thinking those terrible thoughts, those appalling thoughts of a life without Samantha.

-----

Sam was silently staring at the Ancient artifact sitting on the table before her, deep underground in the archeology museum’s large storage room.

Daniel had a gun to his head, sitting between the two soldiers that had dragged him through the series of stairs that led to the bottom floor of the building. He was thankful, however, that his hands had been bound in front of him when they had clumsily wrapped his bleeding arm in an effort to stop the bleeding. He felt less helpless than with his hands tied behind him.

“Tell me what this thing can do and how to operate it, or your friend will only be the first one to suffer the consequences,” Adros growled at her, his patience all but gone. “I need something to turn this fight in my favor, and I need it now!”

“I know. Uhmmm… I need some tools,” she stalled, looking around the room and wondering what her next move should be.

“What does it do?!” Adros snarled in her face, the hated knife back to her throat. She instinctively started to raise her hands to ward off the weapon, but forced herself to remain still.

“It… it’s an energy based weapon. It charges itself and releases an energy pulse similar to a laser…” Sam was wildly fabricating lies, trying to buy time. “Do you know what a laser is?” she asked Adros, looking at him unsteadily. She was weak, frightened, in pain, and doubted she could hold her own against the men surrounding her if she tried.

“No! But I don’t care what it is! Tell me how I can use it and start working on it!”

Adros was angry beyond reason. The man had lost it, she could tell. He just wanted to lash out, to retaliate, to hurt, and it did not matter much to him who or what his target was anymore.

“All right!” she agreed, feeling the knife against the throat of her skin, dangerously close to her jugular. “Pass me that bag. I need the tools in it,” she requested, and was glad when the man moved his knife away from her in order to reach the bag that she had been using when the attack had begun.

Adros pretty much threw it at her and she caught it with both hands, wincing at the pain in her chest and shoulder. Al least she was not bound any more. Adros had released her hands so that she could work on the machine.

Sam carefully opened the bag and laid out the utensils on the table, next to the artifact. She picked a long screwdriver and made a big show of trying to find an access point in the object that she could use to pry it open.

She guardedly glanced at Daniel and he gave her a nervous look. She could tell that he knew that she had no idea what she was doing and that she was just trying to stall for time.

Sam found a spot in the object where she could insert the screwdriver and bit her lip in feigned concentration as she wiggled the tool this way and that, trying not to touch anything inside.

She glanced at Daniel again, trying to send him a message with her eyes. She wanted him to be ready to bolt at a moment’s notice. He held her eyes and nodded imperceptibly, letting her know he was ready.

Suddenly, a couple of shots and the sound of running boots could be heard from above, and everyone’s eyes looked up in response. Sam reacted instantaneously.

In one move, she pulled the screwdriver from the slot and swung it toward Adros, who was one step behind her and with his knife still in his hand, but momentarily away from Sam. The tool connected with the Segaran’s torso below his right armpit and the man screeched in pain.

-----

Daniel did not hesitate. As soon as he heard the noises and saw Sam start to move, he brought up his bound hands and knocked the menacing gun away from his head. It went off, echoing loudly in the large room, and Daniel could taste gunpowder, a reminder that he was still in danger.

Despite his injured ribs, he was able to throw himself against the other soldier’s middle, burying his head in the man’s stomach. The man went down on his knees, winded, and Daniel turned again to the one with the gun. The soldier had started to aim the gun back at him, but was unexpectedly hit by a large flying object, smack in the middle of his face.

Daniel heard bones crack and he saw the man fall backwards on the floor, blood splattering the wall behind him. Sam had sent the Ancient artifact flying and had saved his life, just in the nick of time.

He turned to look at Sam gratefully, surprised by her intervention, and was horrified to see a staggering Adros come at her from behind.

“Sam, watch out!” he screamed.

She had clearly been expecting Adros to attack her again and kicked backwards, aiming for the man’s groin, but she missed and hit his upper leg instead, which only served to slow him down.

Daniel had to reluctantly divert his attention to the winded soldier, who was now pulling out his own gun. He successfully kicked it out of the dazed man’s hand, then he continued kicking, aiming for his face. He kicked the Segaran soldier three times until the man fell to the floor unconscious.

Daniel could hear running steps coming much closer now, as well as shouting almost at the door. The sound of the gun going off had attracted some attention. He then turned to Sam and was sickened to see that she was now trapped by Adros, her right wrist held tightly by the Segaran.

He had switched the knife to his left hand and had it pointing straight into her neck, a feral look on his face. He had evidently also pulled out the screwdriver from his armpit and was dripping blood, but his right arm still held Sam’s wrist forcefully.

Her left arm was also dripping with blood, hanging useless to her side. Her wound had opened up and she was doubtlessly in great pain, but she was still trying to free herself from the man.

“Please, don’t!” Daniel pleaded with the Segaran Commander as Jack and Teal’c finally burst into the room, weapons aimed at the struggling couple in the middle.

Jack took in the image and froze, clearly trying to assess whether he could zat the Segaran without Sam getting her throat pierced by the glinting blade.

-----

“Stay where you are, or I’ll kill her!” the hysterical Segaran demanded, the point of the knife drawing yet more blood from Sam, who shuddered with unrepressed pain. She kept her distressed eyes on her CO, knowing he didn’t dare to shoot.

She desperately tried to make her left arm work and attempt to push the knife away from her throat, but she just couldn’t. It felt completely numb aside from the agonizing, throbbing pain emanating from her shoulder wound.

“You’re done, Adros,” Jack spoke calmly, at the same time lowering Teal’c’s zat gun with his left hand. “Lower your weapons!” he ordered the soldiers.

All of them did, if a bit hesitantly, probably wondering what the Colonel was planning to do.

Jack kept his zat gun leveled at Adros’ head, still talking to him. “Huna is under the Huns’ control again, most of your troops are prisoners of war now, and there’s nothing else to be accomplished here. Let her go.” He was slowly approaching the couple as he coolly addressed the crazed man.

“Nothing is over until I say it is! It looks to me as if I still have some control here! If you take one more step, I will slice her throat!” the Segaran defiantly shouted at him.

Adros had been backing off, dragging Sam with him, but had gotten to the end of the room and there was nowhere else for him to go. “Either we both walk out of here, or she dies with me,” he threatened.

-----

Jack knew the man was at the end of his rope. Drastic measures were needed, and he looked into the eyes of his Major attempting to convey a message. She probably already knew what he was going to attempt, but he wanted to make sure she was ready.

Sam returned the look with meaning, not willing to prolong the standoff any longer and giving him the green light. Her eyes told him the second she decided to make the move.

She suddenly pulled away from the knife, hitting Adros’ right cheek with her head hard enough to distract him.

Jack squeezed the trigger at the same time, almost a reflex action, and the struggling pair dropped together in a heap, senseless.

“Sam!” Daniel ran to her, swiftly separating her body from the Segaran Commander’s and cradling her with his still bound hands, checking her injuries apprehensively while Teal’c approached the unconscious commander lying on the floor.

The big man kicked Adros’ body further away from Sam and Daniel and turned to Jack, who was staring at the archeologist.

-----

Jack’s face was white as a sheet, his eyes wild as he stared at Daniel. He was clearly waiting for the archeologist to say something, looking at Sam’s throat as if looking for more blood.

The Hun soldiers just stood around them, waiting, and Daniel finally managed to reassure Jack when he was satisfied that Sam’s neck was intact. “She’s okay, it’s just blood from before.” He then gasped, overcome with emotion but still trying to smile. “I’ve never been more glad to see you two!”

He knew the picture his friends saw. Both he and Sam were a battered, bloody mess, and Daniel could see Jack’s jaw tense and his eyes grow harder, hate and wrath emanating from him as he turned to look at the unconscious body of the Segaran Commander.

Teal’c had a contemptuous look on his face as well, staring down at the man in disgust. He then gave Jack a meaningful look.

Daniel watched in fascination as his CO returned Teal’c’s gaze and, without a single word, both men shot the Segaran at the same time.

The body shimmered and disintegrated before everyone’s eyes, eliciting exclamations of awe and fear from the soldiers around them.

Daniel closed his eyes, instinctively rebelling against the barbaric act, but then he forced himself to open them again. He looked at his friends with understanding, knowing he might have done the same thing if he had found Sha’re in the condition Sam and he were in.

Well, at least he would have felt like doing the same.

-----

Jack made no comments and no apologies. He put away his weapon, knelt by Daniel, and grazed Sam’s black and blue but still beautiful face with his rough knuckles, pushing away a lock of hair that had fallen across her closed eyes.

“She’s going to be okay, Jack,” Daniel kindly assured him.

Jack nodded grimly, still feeling sick to his stomach with dread. He could feel a bad case of the shakes coming, so he needed to continue to act in order to prevent it.

“Teal’c, bring her along. I’ll help Daniel,” he commanded softly, and the big man approached to take Sam’s inert body from Daniel’s arms. He lifted her effortlessly, trying to be gentle.

Jack tried to not look at the blood covering her and now staining his friend’s uniform. “Let’s go home. You both need medical attention,” he said, walking out of the room holding Daniel by his uninjured arm.

Teal’c followed, carrying Sam while the Hun soldiers just looked at each other in wonder. One of them made himself useful and fished Daniel’s handcuff’s keys out of one of the fallen Segarans’ pockets. He ran after SG-1, and the rest of the soldiers silently filed out of the room.
Chapter 10 by GenVarel
Chapter Ten

“General Hammond, we are grateful for your willingness to serve as a neutral party and for the possible solutions you offered to our problem. We are honored to call you friends,” Edrana was telling the tired SGC Commander.

They had spent days at the negotiating table, Bregan, Edrana and Omnem representing the Segarans. Commander Sache had appointed Zac Tomaz and two other senior officers experienced in diplomacy to represent Huna. He was now the Acting President of Huna, currently under military rule after the massacre of their President and his staff, and he was extremely busy back in his city.

There had been bitter, offensive words thrown at each other during the past few days, but reason had prevailed at the end. Hammond and his negotiators had provided invaluable assistance and words of wisdom, but credit had to be given where credit was due. It had been Sache’s determination to resolve their issues once and for all that had kept them at the negotiating table until an agreement had been reached. He had given them no other option.

Sacrifices had been made by both parties and compromises had finally been agreed upon. The Segarans had decided to relocate to an uninhabited planet offered by Hammond, and Huna had agreed to allow the Segarans to borrow the Stargate for this purpose. It would be moved to Segara until they were done with the evacuation, supervised by SGC personnel.

The Huns had also agreed to provide the Segarans with supplies and technical assistance in the new planet until their new communities were established. Earth had also generously offered assistance, as well as promised that they would notify Segara, the name of the new planet, the moment they came across other Segarans in their travels.

“It has been our honor to assist in the resolution of this conflict,” Hammond responded sincerely, shaking everyone’s hands as they prepared to leave. He was most grateful that there had been no mention at all of Jack and Teal’c’s execution of Adros. He was surprised, but grateful.

Hammond had had to deal with the issue within the privacy of his Command. They had both reported the incident in their verbal and written reports, with no regrets or justifications mentioned. Dr. Jackson had omitted Adros’ fate in his reports.

Hammond had reluctantly written reprimands and filed them in their records, but had refused to do more than that. He had been appalled by the sight Dr. Jackson and Major Carter had presented upon their return to Earth. The archeologist had been on his feet, but his Major had taken many hours to awake. He understood the two men’s actions even if he did not approve.

Adros’ two victims had truly looked much worse than they really were, but Dr. Fraiser had been in an extremely testy mood for the following couple of days, angry beyond words at the signs of torture on her two patients.

Sam had not recovered her senses for too long, keeping them all in suspense and worry, but she had eventually awakened and had been visibly relieved at finding herself in the infirmary, back home.

-----

“Hey, Sam,” Daniel greeted as he walked into her lab. “Ready for lunch?” he asked, approaching her to see what she was working on. “I see you’re getting good at typing one-handed,” he smiled, peering at her flying fingers in amusement.

“Almost,” she replied, her eyes still focused on the computer screen. “It’s still frustrating, but I guess I should be grateful that my left shoulder was stabbed and not my right one,” she remarked optimistically. Her left arm had been immobilized with a sling in order to allow her shoulder muscle to heal faster.

“It would have been better not to be stabbed at all, don’t you think?” Jack’s voice commented from the doorway.

Teal’c was also there, patiently waiting, although he was probably very hungry already.

“Can’t argue with that, Sir,” she chuckled as she finished saving her document.

Hearing her laugh was a balm to their spirits. Daniel knew that Jack had been seriously worried about the after effects of torture, having had similar experiences himself. He had shared with Daniel what it could do to a person. But Sam seemed well, barring a few nightmares while she had been recuperating in the infirmary, and she had assured Dr. Fraiser that she was sleeping okay now. She was such a trooper!

Daniel noticed Jack’s thoughtful look as Sam turned off her computer and started to put away some documents inside her drawer. The Colonel’s love and concern for his Major were patently there, clear in his eyes, and the young man felt terrible for him again. Sacrifices continued to be a fact of life for them.

“Teal’c, you look famished,” Daniel suddenly remarked, deciding to give the couple a break. “Let’s go ahead. Jack will wait for slow-poke here.”

He smiled at Sam, who made a face at him, and he grabbed Teal’c’s arm as he left the lab, dragging a puzzled grizzly behind him.

-----

Sam could feel Jack’s eyes on her as he just stood there, watching her lock up her drawer. She was well aware of his presence but was reluctant to return the attention, not knowing how to respond to him.

She finally finished, but remained where she was, looking down, her heart pounding. She knew he had been trying to get her alone for days, but she had been good at evading him. She also knew she had been cowardly, but she had not wanted to discuss the matter that had been hanging over their heads ever since they had been forced to declare their feelings publicly.

“We need to stop doing this to ourselves, you know,” he finally said, his voice almost a whisper.

Sam looked at her CO, her eyes brimming with sadness, but she said nothing. What could she say? What could they do differently?

He slowly walked up to her and stood close, just staring at her forlornly for the longest moments.

“We agreed we could do this. Were we wrong?” he asked her, his voice low and gentle. Sam thought he looked almost vulnerable just then.

“We have to do this,” she replied in a soft voice, her eyes bright with unshed tears. “We have no choice,” she concluded.

Sam wanted very badly to throw herself at him, to have him hold her and tell her that he loved her. She had felt unusually fragile during her recovery days, her feelings too close to the surface after her torment at the hands of that maniac, and she had missed Jack’s presence every single time he had been missing from her side.

That first day back at the SGC, finding Jack sleeping next to her bed when she had awakened in the middle of the night, had sent a bolt of raw anguish racing through her soul. She had wanted so badly for him to awaken and wrap her in his arms, give her the comfort she so greatly needed!

But she had remained silent, letting him sleep. Instead, she had watched him for a long time, taking in his graying hair, his dark lashes, his strong features, his callused hands and everything else she loved about him, until she had drifted back to sleep again, feeling safe in his presence.

Now she looked at him with the same eyes, taking in every single feature she adored but not daring to say a word.

-----

Jack nodded, brought his hand up to her still bruised cheek, and softly traced her cheekbone with his thumb, wanting very much to kiss her again as he had done weeks before, without restraint.

He almost lost control when he saw her close her eyes and sigh, unmistakably relishing the caress, her warm cheek resting softly onto his palm. But he just kept his hand there, not moving another muscle.

Sam slowly opened her eyes and told him a million “I love yous” with one look, her lips then found his fingers for a moment before she took his hand in hers. Griping it hard and lowering it between them, she then let it go.

“Let’s go to lunch, Sir. I’m starving,” she smiled bravely.

So it would continue, their secret adoration hidden and their sacrifice a daily, excruciating chore.

He nodded to her, brushed her hair with his fingers as a parting caress, and moved aside so that she could pass.

Together and still apart, they walked down the hallway in silent companionship knowing that, for the time being, they would give each other only as much as they were allowed. Nothing more.



The End

This story archived at http://www.samandjack.net/fanfics/viewstory.php?sid=4257