samandjack.net

Story Notes: Date: 17-7-2003

A/N: For Suz for giving me a different perspective. Even if I hate it ;-) For Sally Murphy for her constant shippy support. And for Moon, Em and Shaz for everything else!

E-mail: lisayaeger@hotmail.com


Their First Kiss


This was it.

Their first kiss.

A little awkward to be sure.

But something she had really wanted to do for, well, let's just say awhile now. The frustrations of the past few years weren't something that even she was immune to.

He was coming closer. Tilting his head slightly.

Her eyelids closing. Barely daring to breathe.

And then she could *feel* him.

Deliberately hovering just above her lips. As if to tease. Close, but not quite there. She would *not* close the distance. She would just savor the moment. The last seconds of waiting.

Then he made his move. His lips touching hers. Not soft or gentle, but not hard or demanding either. Just nice.

Perfectly nice.

No butterflies in her stomach. No weakness in her knees. No tightening of muscles in places that hadn't been touched by a man for far longer than she would care to admit.

But it was wonderful to be in his arms. So strong. And safe.

If not a little warm. It was over 90 degrees, after all.

This is what normal people did, wasn't it?

Kissing during a stroll in the park on a warm summer's evening. After a wonderful dinner served on the patio overlooking the lake. After flirting and touching and hinting.

And it was so nice to feel normal. Just for one evening.

And as her thoughts ended, he pulled away.

Her eyes opened. Perhaps a bit too suddenly.

He recognized the look – he had, after all, been around the block a few times himself.

"It's not there, is it?" It was rhetorical.

She shook her head. More sorry than she could say that it wasn't what she hoped it would be. What he had hoped for, too. Their all- too-brief relationship had suddenly come to a close.

"Well, it was worth a try, wasn't it?" His grin was forced.

She nodded and smiled, "Yes, it was." It was worth more than he knew, actually.

He walked her back to her car, keeping his distance. His eyes down. Hands in pockets.

She unlocked her door and opened it, putting the piece of metal firmly between the two of them.

"So..."

"So…"

"I guess I'll see you-"

"-around."

Although they both knew that it was unlikely given the circumstances. Much easier to deal with that way.

He nodded.

She got in the car and watched him walk to his truck on the other side of the parking lot. It was easier than she would have imagined to watch him walk out of her life. In her mind, he had come to symbolize her last chance at a real life, complete with a white picket fence and a minivan.

But now she knew the truth. She had known it all along really- the kiss had just confirmed it. Her *real* life wasn't having dinner in a fancy restaurant, as nice as that could be sometimes, and it certainly wasn't about moonlit walks. Stargazing had always been more her style.

And although no one was there to see it, her face broke out into a huge smile at that thought. And her eyes danced with the flames from a fire that smoldered deep within. And that thought did make her knees go weak. A few extra, unnamed muscles tightened ever-so- slightly. This time, the heat that she was feeling had nothing to do with the temperature outside.

And beyond a shadow of a doubt, she was certain that on another day, in a different place, she would have another first kiss. Complete with butterflies fluttering in her tummy.

And afterwards, she was sure that neither one of them would be going home alone.

*****



End Notes: Many thanks for reading my take on the BWC ep kiss. Feedback to lisayaeger@hotmail.com