samandjack.net

Story Notes: Category: Drama, action/adventure, romance.

Content warning: Apparent character death, foul language, violence, angst.

I’d like to thank my two beta readers Kelly and Annie. I originally wrote and posted this story in March of 2000, but recently (’03) *seriously* tweaked it.

Email: majorsallymurphy@yahoo.com


This Can't Be Happening!


It’s quite beautiful today, Sam Carter thought, walking leisurely through the forest.

A surreal quality hung about, as shafts of sunlight broke through the tall trees. The muffled footsteps of boots crunching on branches and twigs were the only noises heard.

“Hey, Carter, why so quiet?” Colonel O’Neill questioned, walking slightly ahead of her.

“Just enjoying the scenery, sir.”

“You know guys, the absence of animals in this forest isn't that uncommon. Some animals only come out at night,” Daniel observed.

“All the animals?” Jack said wryly.

“Well, Jack, actually--”

They all stopped, as they heard sounds coming from the right then the left. They were seemly surrounded, and they didn't know by who or what.

“Everyone stay close. Teal’c, I want you to…” Jack flinched. “Watch out!”

Suddenly maniacal screams were coming from all around, as men ran towards them carrying clubs and yelling unintelligibly.

“Teal’c, stick with Daniel!” the Colonel commanded.

Daniel was about to protest, when hell broke loose.

As the enemy approached, each team member was attacked by two or more men. The team ducked and weaved, subsequently using their guns to deflect the clubs being clumsily swung at them. As if Jack and Teal’c were considered the bigger threat, both Sam and Daniel were left with one assailant each.

As Sam easily fought off her attacker, she heard Jack cry out in pain. She let her concentration falter for a moment, turning to look his way.

“Colonel O’Neill, are you--”

Suddenly aware she wasn't paying attention to her opponent anymore, she turned to face him, and all she saw was the large brown object coming at her head.

It was the last thing she saw.

She was unconscious before she hit the ground.

Her assailant stood over her, holding his club, grinning. His smile turned feral as he once more lifted his weapon and hit her brutally. He began to strike again, but upon hearing the cries of retreat from his clan, he turned and ran off to follow.

As fast as they came, they left, leaving SG-1 battered and confused.

“Jesus Christ. What the hell...” Jack muttered, as the forest became totally silent again.

They all sat quietly a moment, slowly regaining their senses.

“Is everyone alright?” Jack asked.

The only response was unanimous grunting.

“Okay, what the hell was that all about?” Daniel asked, cradling his arm.

“And not that I'm complaining or anything, but why did they stop?” Jack countered.

“They fought most illogically,” Teal’c replied.

“Hey... where's Carter?” Jack said, scanning the area for her. “Guys!” he exclaimed, motioning the men to find her.

As Jack stood, nursing his already swollen knee, he heard Teal’c call out.

Teal’c knelt beside his unconscious friend, as Jack and Daniel swiftly approached.

“Is she alright?” Daniel asked.

Teal’c slowly turned Sam over: everyone seeing the horrific wound on the side of her head. They stood transfixed a moment, watching as blood languidly oozed down her face.

Shaking himself back to the moment, Jack crouched down quickly, ignoring the pain in his leg.

Frowning, Daniel glanced hesitantly to Teal’c, knowing no one wanted state the obvious; Sam was in big trouble.

As Jack began trying to wake Sam, Daniel hunted through his backpack for the first aid kit.

“Daniel, have you found it yet?” Jack asked impatiently.

“Uh, where is...” Daniel mumbled, throwing everything from the pack to the ground.

“Daniel!”

“Found it!” Daniel countered, as he quickly handed over the med kit.

“Carter, come on,” Jack begged, struggling to wake the major.

“Jack, I don't think it's a good idea to try and wake her up,” Daniel stated, crouching down next to Sam's side.

“Why?” Jack said, gently slapping Sam’s face.

“O’Neill, I can go back to the base and retrieve medical assistance,” Teal’c said, standing over his teammates.

“No! Just let me wake her up first,” Jack replied.

“Jack, I really don't think you should...”

“Daniel, enough already!” Jack suddenly stilled, his breath going cold. “Wait...Oh God, no!”

“What is it?” Daniel asked, leaning towards Sam.

“I'm not getting a pulse. She's not breathing!” Jack exclaimed, checking her neck for a pulse. “I'm not getting anything!”

“What? What do you mean...” Daniel said, looking rapidly between Jack and his injured teammate.

“What do you mean, what do I mean! What part of that don't you understand!” Jack snapped, continuing to frantically check for a pulse.

“O’Neill, Daniel, I do not think--”

“Daniel, do you know how to perform CPR?” Jack asked, not waiting for a reply as he began mouth-to-mouth. “Daniel, start the chest compression.”

“Uh, okay… yes,” Daniel mumbled, as he slowly bent over Sam.

“Daniel, move it!” Jack snapped.

“Yeah, I'm ready!”

Minutes passed, as CPR was methodically performed on Sam, before Daniel began to hesitate.

“Daniel, come on! Daniel!” Jack glanced quickly to his teammate. “What!”

“Jack, I don't think... I think--”

“Daniel, just shut up and do it!” Jack paused, glaring at his teammate. “For chrisake, what the hell are you doing!”

“Jack, it’s no use... she's... she's gone,” Daniel whispered, falling back on his haunches, lowering his arms.

Jack peered at his friend a moment, before returning to mouth-to-mouth. Realizing Daniel was no longer going to help, he shoved him aside, beginning the chest compression.

Time passed, as Jack went back and forth between the two, only to suddenly feel Daniel’s touch. Ignoring him, he frantically continued with CPR. As he felt the persistent presence tighten, he growled, brutally jerking free of the grasp.

“Jack... it's no use. Jack...”

“Shut up, Daniel!” Jack barked, wiping his brow with his sleeve. “If you don't want to help me Save Her Life, then at least you can get the fuck out of my way!”

Daniel glanced up to Teal’c, seeing his friend close his eyes. He moved back out of the way as Jack continued.

Moments passed, as Jack’s control started to slip. Daniel and Teal’c watched on as their friend began cursing at Sam to respond.

“Alright Carter, let's go. Dammit, Carter, come on!”

Sighing, Daniel sat back onto the ground, cradling his head in his hands, as Teal’c bent over Jack.

“O’Neill, Major Carter would--”

“Major Carter! Goddammit, Carter, why are you giving up!” Jack barked, his voice cracking.

Reaching out, Teal’c gently touched Jack's shoulder, only for his friend to jerk away.

“O’Neill, please...”

“Nooo!”

Jack paused, starring down at his battered teammate, before suddenly returning to his frenzied task.

“This can't be happening! Carter… Sam… please…” Jack whispered.

Reaching down, Teal’c gently pulled Jack back.

“Enough, O’Neill, enough.”

Jack began to reach for Sam again, but Teal’c held strong.

“No, Jack,” Teal’c whispered.

Jack sat back, his arms slowly falling to his side, as he fought to control his labored breathing.

The three men stared at Sam in silence.

A sudden and gentle wind kicked up, as a far away bird was heard taking flight. The trees creaked and sang, the soft breeze melodiously whistling through the trees, betraying the oppressive mood. Abruptly the wind picked up, as a shaft of light suddenly fell on Sam’s face.

Jack gasped.

“No, I'm not giving up! I won't let ‘her’ give up! Carter, that's enough of this shit!” Jack yelled, frantically resuming CPR.

After a moment he suddenly stopped, grabbing Sam's shoulders and shaking her fiercely.

“Carter... Major! Don't do this to me! Wake up, goddammit!”

He resumed CPR a moment, only to stop and grab her again.

“Sam… please,” Jack breathed.

He began shaking her roughly again, and growling at her non-response, slapped her briskly across the face.

Daniel and Teal’c winced, only for Daniel to close his eyes.

“Sam, I'm not giving up here, so you better come back! Major Carter, that's an order!”

Grabbing her shirt, Jack pulled her up to his face.

“Unless you want to be a Captain again, I'd--”

“End this already! … Jack, please,” Daniel said, running his hands through his hair.

Reaching out, Teal’c grabbed hold of Jack’s arm. “This is not what Major Carter would want!” he shouted. Not getting a reply, he pulled back Jack’s arm; unwittingly making him lose his grip on Sam as she fell roughly back to the ground.

“How would you know what she’d want!” Jack retorted, jerking free of his grasp.

Teal’c began to reply, when suddenly he stopped, hearing a long, ragged breath.

In unison, the men turned towards the sound.

They stared in disbelief as they watched Sam take a deep, shuddering breath.

Jack was the first to respond, quickly taking hold of Sam’s shoulders to still her.

“Carter... relax,” he said softly, smiling as relief flooded through him.

Daniel began laughing, which mutated into a cry, as he shook his head and leaned back against his arms.

Grinning, Jack leaned down, gently wiping away the blood near Sam’s eye. She was barely conscious, but was squirming to get up.

“Shh, Carter. Try to stay still,” Jack said, gently holding her down.

As she continued to writhe, Jack leaned down, close to her face. “Everything’s going to be alright, Carter,” he whispered, softly stroking her forehead.

Sam began to still, responding to his voice.

Sitting up slowly, Jack glanced up to his teammates.

The three men shared a gentle and knowing smile.

“You can ‘now’ go back to the SGC and get that help, Teal’c” Jack said, grinning.

Nodding, Teal’c began to leave, but suddenly stopped, reaching out and grasping Jack’s shoulder.

Jack glanced up, seeing the biggest smile he’d ever seen oh his friend’s face. Reaching up, he returned the embrace, smiling.

They exchanged smiles briefly, before Teal’c turned to leave.

Quickly grabbing his staff weapon, Teal’c began to move off, only to pause and regard his friend once more.

“O’Neill, I will be back promptly with medical assistance.”

“You do that, Teal’c…. what?” Jack said, momentarily glancing Teal’c’s way before returning to his 2IC.

Teal’c glanced to Daniel, both grinning.

“Yes, O’Neill,” he softly replied, as he took off for home.



~finis~