samandjack.net

Story Notes: Matter of Tact 11: Email: randomleaves@yahoo.co.uk

Archive: SJD, please

Spoilers: Seven-ish.

A/N: Thanks to Melly and Emry, They Who Are Long Suffering. And Nanda and Michelle and Clara, for being helpful. And Robert, who I should have thanked in the last one.


"So... really, what you're saying is that it was just another excuse to come out here two days early."

Rolling her eyes, she hurried to pierce this little ego bubble he had going on. Honestly, he made it sound like she'd missed him desperately. Which was true. But, you know, she had a reputation to uphold. "No! That's not what I'm saying at all! I'm sayin'.... just tell me, when you saw him, you weren't a little afraid for your life?"

Jack sniffed and tried to sound and look nonchalant. "Your dad likes me."

"Selmak likes you," she corrected, a little cross but not knowing why.

He shuddered automatically. "Just... don't mention the snake."

Her fingers tangled in his hair and her thumb stroked his scalp. "Sorry." Sighing, she closed her eyes again and snuggled further into the pillow, content to doze for a while. The night had been exhausting - first the drive where she seemed to go from one emotional confrontation to another - and then spending most of the following hours in bed with Jack, talking as quietly as possible and... doing other things.

She was, consequently, a little tired.

Apparently, Jack, fifteen years her senior, had no such problems "We should get up," he declared, perkily.

Opening one eye, she glared at him. "No, we shouldn't." Particularly not when he looked so smug.

Jack's foot slid up and down her calf and he grinned broadly, his hand toying with the hair above her ear. "The others got up hours ago."

"Well, they had to. Dad stepped on Daniel's head, from the sound of it. The resulting scream was loud enough to wake the dead."

His face became thoughtful. "You know... I don't think there are dead bodies close enough for Daniel to..." Jack trailed off suddenly, looking a little sheepish. "Uh. Never mind."

She gave him a funny look and then pulled the comforter up to her chin, tucking her arm around him. "Let's just stay here a while."

"Sam, I really can't. It's nearly afternoon."

Oh God, he had this extraordinary obsession with not wasting the day. The guy, literally, liked to wake up at the crack of dawn, which was fine when they were at home and she had to get up that early as well but it was so not gonna happen when she was on vacation.

She kept her eyes closed. "It is not. It's midday."

"Sam...." he whined.

"We could do things other than sleep!" she exclaimed desperately, snuggling up against him and muffling a yawn against his shoulder. "I just.. you know... wouldn't participate much."

"Charming offer though that is," he said dryly, "I think the boys are back."

Tugging the comforter down a little, she lifted her head to listen. Sure enough, she heard a car engine outside.

Damn.

Jack patted her back. "We should get up. Help them unpack."

A pout was called for, she decided. She did impressive pouts. "No."

He ignored the pout. Pointedly. "Sam!"

She groaned. "What? It's my *vacation*."

"We've been in bed for nearly twelve hours! Your father is out there! He's going to get in here and realize we haven't come out!"

"So you are afraid of him!" Sam was pleased. Thrilled, even. After all, her father had hated every single one of her boyfriends starting from Edward Morrissey when she was in the sixth grade right up until Jonas and had consequently terrified all of them.

Just because Jack was, you know, The One (and she would never, never, ever use that term in front of him. Ever.), didn't mean her father should stop caring.

Besides. It was fun to watch.

Jack rolled onto his back, throwing up his hands. "Yes, yes, okay! The guy freaks me out! He's your father, Sam. He had sex with your mother and you were conceived. The whole thing... really, really creeps me out and the fact that he is right now probably listening to this conversation... makes me want to run very far away. Satisfied?" She snickered. He glared. "Don't you have unfinished business with him anyway?"

Sam narrowed her eyes and poked his shoulder as she remembered. "You're right." She sat up, uncurling from their warm cocoon. "He needs to be punished!"

Because, while he obviously had a right to disapprove and be a general pain in the ass when it came to her boyfriends, if he went out of his way to track down a boyfriend to interfere in one of the many complex situations they got themselves into... that was just wrong.

He needed to know that and he needed to know that now.

"And you can do that... out of the bedroom," Jack said, slowly, encouragingly.

She pulled her bag up onto the rumpled bed and unzipped it, searching through for something comfortable to wear. "Yes!"

"Excellent. Don't suppose you brought..."

Smiling, she yanked out his hockey shirt from where it was resting on the top and waved it in the air before dropping it onto the pillow, where it was later joined with a fresh set of underwear and a pair of jeans.

"What are we going to do today, anyway?" she asked.

"After you've kicked your dad's ass?"

Well, that was a given. "Yeah."

"Fishing."

Not commenting on that, frankly horrifying, thought, she tugged out a couple of sweaters and then leaned down to pull open the drawers on the bedside table. "Is it going to get any warmer than this?"

"I don't know. If the sun comes out, maybe. Put a sweater around your waist." He crawled up onto his knees and kissed her neck before climbing off the bed and searching for his own clothes.

Sam pulled on her undies, standing up to wiggle in them before turning around to pick up her bra. "Jack?"

"Yuh?" he said, his voice muffled as he spoke through his T-shirt.

She lowered her voice, aware that the others weren't very far away and the cabin walls certainly weren't soundproof, "Could you talk to Jonas today?"

"What?" Jack's head popped out of the top and he ran his fingers through his hair in an attempt to get it to sit right. "I'm sure I'll talk to Jonas at some point today."

Wincing at the normal voice he was using, she glanced towards the door. "Shh! Lower your voice! No, I mean." She slid her hands into the straps of her bra and pulled it up. "Talk to him. About Becky."

"They having problems?"

She rolled her eyes. "Jack, where've you been? They've been having problems for months!" Fixing the straps properly on her shoulders, she grabbed the hockey shirt he liked her wearing so much and slipped it over her head.

"They're not problems!" He chuckled. "That's just Jonas overreacting."

"I'm beginning to think it's not."

Finally taking her seriously, he turned around, jeans in hand. "Why?"

"It's... it's not really *like* Jonas, is it? I mean... he's such a confident and straight-forward guy. And when did these problems start, anyway? He and Becky were doing so well in the beginning."

"Most relationships are like that, Sam," Jack scoffed, bending down to pull his jeans on, "it's called the 'honeymoon' period."

Raising her eyebrows, Sam stared at him as he pulled the jeans up over his boxers. "Oh, really, Jack? God, thanks for the enlightenment," she said sarcastically. "Give me some credit - why's he doing this?"

"I don't know. He's a young man, Sam. Maybe... maybe he genuinely doesn't want to be tied down."

"Will you talk to him?"

"Why are you making me do this?"

"You're his friend!"

"So are you!"

"But I'm also his CO. And I'm a woman. He needs to talk to somebody neutral, and I mean talk. Not this joking manly thing you guys do," she said, waving a hand at him scornfully.

Jack made a noise that was very close to a whine. "Do I have to?"

"Jack. Come on."

"Okay, okay. Fine." He sighed. "I'll talk to him. I'll... take him and Teal'c for a hike."

"Thanks. That'll leave me time to talk to dad and will give Daniel some time to go off and be a loner. He likes that."

"He's brought his laptop," Jack added. "That'll keep him entertained for a while. It's not like he's being particularly talkative. What's up with him?"

She checked her hair on the small mirror tacked on the wall -thinking that she was going to have to get them a bigger mirror for up here. She could barely see the whole of her head at one time. "I'll tell you when we fish."

He shrugged, apparently comfortable with that answer. "Okay. You go kick ass, I'll go be 'sensitive'. Boy, have the roles changed."

Grinning, she tossed him a mischievous look. "Yeah. But now you get to have sex."

"I didn't say I *disliked* the change!"

*

Ah. Bonding time with the aliens, Jack thought, watching Teal'c and Jonas admire what Jack liked to call 'the lake next door'.

Now. How to start the whole... conversation with Jonas. It needed to be subtle. It needed to be sensitive. It needed to be...

Hell. They needed Daniel to have this conversation, but apparently that wasn't going to happen.

Hmm.

"Becky would like it here," Jonas said, naively stepping right smack into Jack's plan.

Yes!

"How *is* Becky?" Jack asked, jumping off a cluster of boulders and walking to stand next to the boys at the edge of the lake.

Teal'c began to look skittish. In fact... he looked like he wanted to run. Jack knew *exactly* how he felt.

"She's... she's fine." Jonas looked at him oddly - as well he might, Jack thought. He never asked about Becky. In fact... talking about the girlfriend of one of your friends was probably one of the most boring topics Jack could think of. Not that Becky was boring - she was pretty cool. Obviously liked Jonas a lot - bizarre, though that thought was - and she and Sam got on well.

As a potential kinda sorta sister-in-law-ish, she was great.

It was just... Jack saw her once every couple of months. If that. He knew next to nothing about her. She was a nurse, for God's sake. He equated nurses with needles and the infirmary and the way those infirmary sheets had smelled and all sorts of really *wonderful* occasions he'd spent recuperating or trying not to look like he was checking up on whichever team mate had got screwed on the latest mission.

Frankly, he'd rather talk about hockey.

"Why do you ask?"

Jack glanced over at Teal'c, who was now staring fixedly at the toe of his boot.

"Teal'c, something wrong?"

Teal'c sighed. "I am hungry again, O'Neill."

"But you just had lunch," Jack pointed out. In fact, he'd had an *obscene* lunch. Jack had never seen a sandwich as tall as Teal'c's had been. In fact, they'd all sat and watched as Teal'c had very carefully buttered pieces of bread and adding fillings and creating the mother of all sandwiches on Jack's grandmother's favorite blue plates.

Jonas snorted. "You should see him on missions, sneaking candy bars out of his pockets when Sam's not looking."

Evilly, Jack smiled. "Thought you were... filling out, Teal'c."

Teal'c's eyebrows raised. "I might say the same about you, O'Neill."

"Hey!" Damn, he knew his jeans were getting tight.

Smugly, Teal'c inclined his head. His eyes flickered to Jonas knowingly. "I do not think I should be here for this conversation, O'Neill. It is of a personal nature."

Too late! Jack thought. If he was gonna suffer, then Teal'c was too. "No, dammit, you're gonna stay and listen for that comment."

He sighed. "Fine. I shall sit down."

"Go ahead. Eat something." Glowering at him, Jack turned back to Jonas. "Okay, what's going on with you and Becky?"

"Huh?"

"Have you been fighting?"

Jonas's mouth dropped open. "Colonel!"

"Jack. Well?"

"No. We haven't." Jonas was starting to look a little flushed. "And I don't know what business it is of yours."

Huh? Jack either. But he had his ord... instructions. If he didn't come back with some suitable answers for Sam she'd probably punish him somehow. You know, give him dirty looks all evening. Not 'dirty' dirty, which would be fun, but the other kind. The one where he felt like a heel.

He reached up and rubbed his hand over the back of his head. "Look, Jonas, something's up. Why the hell have you gotten so jumpy about her recently?"

"I haven't!"

"You have," Jack said firmly.

"Indeed!" Teal'c added, pulling off the wrapper of a granola bar and looking at it happily before diving in.

Jonas kicked at the ground and looked out across the lake. "It's nothing. I'm just being... stupid."

Feeling sympathetic all of a sudden, Jack reached out and placed a hand on his shoulder. "When did this start, Jonas? What are you so worried about?"

Jonas made a face. "I don't know. It just... suddenly I realized it was serious, that's all."

"Uh... *yeah*."

The younger man gave Jack a sarcastic look and threw his hands to the side. "So it crept up on me, so what? I didn't realize until a few months ago. And... I'm not sure I want it to be serious."

"No?" Mentally, Jack sighed. This was getting... pretty repetitive. "Any... particular reason?"

Jonas swallowed, glancing at Teal'c and then back at Jack. "My job... the things I do on a day to day basis, it's dangerous. We walk through that Stargate and we come across hostile aliens that try to kill us. And she *loves* me."

Oh God.

Jack began to get that sinking feeling that things were about to get serious.

"I just don't think... I don't think we should make it serious when I could die," his said urgently, his voice lowered. "More than anything, I don't want to hurt her. She does not deserve to be hurt if something happens to me. I just can't do that to her."

Jonas swallowed and looked at the ground, shaking his head. "I have to find a way to tell her that, that's all. I love her so much... I know it's going to hurt like hell when I tell her, tell her we can't see each other any more. But it's the right thing to do."

Glancing up at Jack, then Teal'c, he raised his eyebrows hopefully. "Isn't it?"

*

Sam was now openly playing Daniel's Gameboy in front of Jack and he had said nothing. She'd even turned the volume up so the irritating, tinny music could further irritate him into talking to her.

Nothin'.

Squat.

She'd never seen the man so quiet, or so still.

Pressing pause, she rested the Gameboy on her stomach and stared at him as he sat up on the boat, fishing rod in hand, staring fixedly down into the water. He hadn't moved for nearly an hour and a half. If he wasn't blinking and his chest wasn't moving slightly with his breathing, she would have poked him to see if he was actually alive.

The three of them had returned from their hike a couple of hours after lunch. They were gone long enough for Sam to have a very satisfying screaming match with her father and for Jacob to, grudgingly, promise never to interfere again and long enough for her to also have a chat with Selmak while they baked cookies, after which her father had taken himself off for a nap in the guest room.

Apparently, the Tok'ra didn't sleep much on undercover missions.

They'd made a miserable trio, actually. Teal'c came in first, nodded at her and nabbed three cookies before walking off to sit in front of the TV, then Jonas and Jack walked in, both of whom were so deep in thought that they had mirroring frown lines on their foreheads. Jonas had taken the car to drive into town, obviously needing to be by himself for a bit and Daniel had already taken the laptop to the picnic bench outside to work.

She'd reminded Jack - foolishly, perhaps - that they were supposed to spend quality fishing time together and he'd nodded vaguely, going about the preparations like he was half asleep.

"Jack?" Sam murmured.

"Mmm?"

"What happened?"

"Nothing."

She'd asked him the same question every ten minutes and he'd had exactly the same answer each time.

She saved her game - Daniel had made her promise that if she defeated the Level Three boss, she would save it for him - and tucked it into her bag before climbing up off the nest of blankets, jackets and clothes with which she'd lined the base of the boat. These boats were not built for comfort.

Sitting on the plank next to him, she touched his knee. "Jack? You want to tell me why you're upset?"

His head jerked a little towards her, but that was it. "Mmm?"

Impatiently, she nudged him with her shoulder. "What's up?"

"Just thinking."

She rolled her eyes and leaned against his side properly. "Come on, tell me. You can't just sit here. I thought we were supposed to spend quality time together. After our extremely long and trying absence from each other." She smiled, hoping to get a response.

Nothing.

"Jack?" Sam asked, her voice changing to become more serious. "Really, what's wrong?"

Slowly, he laid the fishing rod down in the boat, not bothering to pull in the line, and clasped his hands together, staring down at them. "Well, I talked to Jonas."

"Uh huh."

Jack looked at his thumbs sternly and then lifted his head to look at her, brown eyes darker than usual. "And he told me what the problem was."

"Ye-es?" She tucked her arm through his, suddenly needing the contact. "What is it?"

His eyes roved lovingly over her face, his hand coming up to touch the edge of her left eyebrow lightly. "He's afraid for her. He's afraid... of what dying during some off-world mission will do to her."

Sam felt a chill go down her spine. "Oh."

"That's why he doesn't want to get serious." Leaning forward, Jack pressed his lips against her forehead and then drew back a centimeter to say, "He doesn't want to hurt her."

Holding on tighter to his arm, she stared fixedly at his knee, her heart rising slowly, thickly up into her throat and a burning beginning behind her eyes. "Jack, surely... that's up to Becky to decide. He can't decide for her, can he?"

"No, he can't." Jack sighed. "But.... it's an interesting thought."

"Jack, God... This better not be a breaking-up speech, Jack."

Jack smiled, looking strangely calm. "Well, no, Sam, it's really not. It's just... I suppose, I always figured with us, the frat regs would be the only problem. Or the Goa'uld. It never occurred to me that with those two removed... there would always be the matter of you risking life every couple of weeks. The universe is hardly safe."

He laughed suddenly. Almost silently. A dry, breathy sound that was nothing like the belly laughs she'd got used to after his retirement or the noise that was almost a giggle that he only made late at night when he was really tired. "Or maybe.. maybe it did occur to me. The first mission you went on without me... I couldn't do enough to not think about you. I would read a book... and your name would jump out on each page. I'd turn on the TV and the would be 'Sams' all over the place. For the first time I realized what hell I put Sara through."

"What... " She pulled away from him and climbed over to the other bench so she could look at him properly. "What do you want me to do, Jack?"

Dropping his hands between his legs, he shook his head at her sadly. "Honestly? I want you to give up. I want you to leave. I want you to work in a lab for the rest of your life. But you're not going to do that." Jack reached across and touched her knee lightly. "Sara always used to say... the things I did for my country were part of me. I couldn't give them up, just like I can't give up my sense of humor, the color of my eyes." He shrugged, a bitter smile twisted his mouth. "I don't think there's anything we can do about the way I feel, Sam."

"There's... there's got to be something," she whispered.

"I just... thought I should tell you that I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea and that, when we go back home, we might need to do more of this talking thing."

Faintly numb, she tried to summarize what he'd just told her. "Right. So, you don't... well, you're not fond of the fact that I go through the Stargate into occasionally hostile situations and might possibly die?"

Jack snorted at her plaintive tone. "Yes. That's about it. I'm not saying I won't get used to it, Sam. After all, for the past month I've been up here and when I thought about you, it wasn't whether you were being shot at by some crazy alien with a weapon that fires poisonous darts or something. Mostly you were naked," he admitted, his grin flickering briefly.

She glared at him, unwilling to be amused. "So... you just wanted to tell me this to scare the shit out of me."

"Um, well no..... it was really in the name of... honesty and stuff."

Sam folded her arms across her chest and considered picking up that Tupperware box and throwing all those little pink worms down his clothes. "Honesty. Right."

"Are you sulking?"

"No, no. I'm *fine*. I'd like to go back to the cabin now," Sam said through her teeth.

"You're sulking."

"I'm not sulking. I'm glad you told me this," she said, firmly, trying to sound genuine. "I just wish you'd gone about it a more tactful way, that's all."

"Oh." Jack scratched the back of his head. "Well... Jonas kinda made me worry if I should be thinking like he was. Or how he thought Becky was."

"Becky is thinking no such thing."

"She's not? I mean, when I told Jonas that Becky understood... I was kinda just saying the right thing. I really wanted to get the hell out of the conversation."

"Becky," Sam pointed out, "is a nurse in the SGC. She, probably better than anyone, knows what happens to people who go through the gate into hostile situations. She sees the results, for God's sake. You saw the results! Becky is probably going to give Jonas hell the moment he suggests... Dammit, Jack, I could get hit by a truck!"

Jack blinked at her. "Um, yes, in theory, you could. Not now because we're in the middle of a lake..."

"I could... get struck by lightening. A meteor could fall onto my head." Dangerously, she jumped up in the boat and pointed at him furiously. "And you! Why the hell aren't I worrying about you? Last summer you rollerbladed into a wall! You had a concussion! You had us all telling everyone that someone tried to break into your house!"

"Shhhh!" Jack hissed, turning to check on the others, to make sure no one could hear. "Could you keep it down a bit, Sam?" He grabbed holding of the finger that was waving in front of his face and pulled her down to sit next to him. "Okay, let's calm down now."

"Calm down! I will *not* calm down! You scared the shit out of me! I thought you were going to..." She was breathing quite hard now and if she didn't, you know, start breathing slowly and deeply there was a distinct chance that she might hyperventilate.

"I suck, don't I?"

"Yes!"

*

Jonas came back in good spirits, though Jack didn't quite understand why. From what he could tell, Becky had basically screamed down the phone at him for a good half hour. This, bizarrely, had resulted in Jonas returning in a really cheerful mood.

"Why are you smiling?" Jack demanded, finally, as he and Jonas sat in front of the small TV.

He shrugged. "I'm happy."

Jack rolled his eyes. "Because she shouted at you?"

Not looking entirely comfortable with his explanation, Jonas never the less agreed, "Um... yeah." He took a chance, and grabbed the remote from Jack's hand. "Now, shut up. The Simpsons are on."

Jack shut up.

What? The Simpsons really were on!

About ten minutes into the program, just before the first break, Sam dropped down onto the couch next to him and tucked her legs under herself. Glancing at her nervously - she'd been acting very strangely since his admission in the boat - he wondered if she was going to hurt him in some way.

Very carefully, using his right foot, he pushed a particularly heavy book from her end of the coffee table to the other end.

Sam watched him. When he was done, she looked at him disdainfully, sniffed, and went back to watching the Simpsons.

A moment later, Jacob came inside. "Getting cold out," he said, dropping onto the other couch. "What's this? A cartoon?"

"It's the Simpsons," Jack and Jonas chorused without looking away from the TV.

"It's a cartoon," Jacob repeated. Bluntly.

"It's a really *good* cartoon," Jonas told him, glancing away to give Jacob a stern look. "It's famous."

Sometimes, Jonas could come in handy, Jack thought vaguely as one by one, Santa's Little Helper's puppies ate Homer's chips.

"Really." Jacob looked amused. "Who's the large yellow guy?"

"Homer Simpson," Sam said.

Jacob chuckled disdainfully. "Sam? *You* watch this?"

"She has the tapes," Jack told him, smugly. "Though she hides them."

"Only so you don't steal them."

Okay, now that was a fabrication. "I wouldn't steal them! I have the DVDs!"

Sam smirked and sort of shifted until their shoulders were touching lightly.

"Besides," Jonas said, wriggling uncomfortably in his spot as they sniped at each other, "it's not like that matters any more. Sam moved in with you, after all."

Jacob twitched and looked at them all. "I beg your pardon?"

"Oh, didn't I mention that?" Sam murmured, calmly looking at her nails. "Now, shush, Dad. It's the Simpsons."

"Young lady, I will do no..."

"Hey, why didn't anyone tell me the Simpsons were on?" Daniel exclaimed, sounding a little more like his normal self as he walked in from outside and put his laptop down on the table. "Where's Teal'c?"

"Taking a nap in the guest room," Jacob commented, "He sure snores loudly."

Jack shot Jacob a look but knew he couldn't comment. Not if he wanted to see tomorrow. But, damn, it was temping.

"We should wake him," Daniel told everyone, sitting next to Jacob and propping his feet up on the coffee table, "this is his favorite episode."

"No kidding? TEAL'C!" Jack tipped his head back and yelled, causing everyone in room to jump.

"Thank you, Jack," Sam murmured, reaching up to wiggle a finger in her ear.

Not a minute later, an alert ex-Jaffa entered the room. His eyes brightened when he saw the TV screen. "The small animals are most endearing." Jacob and Daniel shuffled up until Teal'c could sit down next to them.

Sam's head sort of... dropped onto Jack's shoulder. And her hand worked her way into his.

She was sneaky like that.

"You know, Daniel," Sam began, her voice sending vibrations down his arm, "I have a friend who majored in Archaeology at the Academy. You'd really like her...."

"Oh no! Nonononono!" Daniel announced, clambering up and walking out of the room into the kitchen. Unfortunately for Daniel, Sam seemed quite keen to follow up this conversation and she slipped off the couch and climbed over the various legs that were in her way. "Sam! Don't do this!"

"Do what? I'm just sayin'... you'd like her. We could have a dinner party when we get back to Colorado."

Jack glanced helplessly at Jonas. Jonas mouthed 'dinner party?' at Jack and raised his eyebrows. Jack shrugged. Damn, that meant he'd have to do all the cooking. Wasn't Becky a vegetarian? Or was that a vegan? Hmm. Some kind of paella, perhaps? He could do two kinds.

They both went back to watching the Simpsons, Jack mentally reviewing his list of dinner party meals

"So... you're living together."

Jack mentally sighed. "Well, it was one of the things we decided before we... took our little holiday, Jacob."

"And you didn't feel you should tell me this?"

"You were having so much fun mocking me, Jake," Jack said genially, taking the remote from Jonas and turning up the volume a couple of notches, "I thought I'd... you know... let you carry on."

From the kitchen, Jack could hear Sam was winning the 'conversation' with Daniel.

Jacob was frowning heavily. "Then there was really no reason for me to come up here."

"There was no reason in the *first* place, Jacob. Sam and I are fine."

"She didn't mention that she'd moved in with you in our conversation this afternoon," Jacob continued, apparently ignoring Jack's statement.

"Why is this annoying you?"

"Because I spent eighty percent of my time off-world, Jack. If she doesn't tell me, I'll never find out. Sam!" Jacob pulled himself out from the couch and went into the kitchen.

Obviously relieved, Teal'c shuffled over onto the couch so he could lie down with his legs hanging over the end. Jonas and Jack both sighed as the room relaxed into a comfortable silence.

Still, Jack's earlier worry was still concerning him. "Becky's a vegetarian, isn't she?" he asked Jonas.

Jonas shook his head. "No. Why?"

"Oh. Who is it we know who's a vegetarian?"

"I don't know anyone who's a vegetarian."

"A vegan?"

"Nope."

Jack frowned. "Someone has a weird eating thing. Who is it? This is going to..."

Quick as a flash, Teal'c was up, the remote control was removed from Jack's hand and the volume had been nudged up another two notches. He glared at Jack, then at Jonas, then at Jack again, and went to sit down, muttering.

Jack was pretty sure he heard a derogatory-sounding '*humans*' in the muttering, but he couldn't be sure.

Jonas nudged Jack with his elbow, grinning. Jack grinned back contentedly. "You know, I think we should make this a yearly trip," he announced.

"Would you *be quiet*!"

"Yes, Teal'c."