samandjack.net

Story Notes: CONTENT WARNING: violence, minor character death

SEASON/SEQUEL: Set season 5

SPOILERS: Children of the Gods, Chain Reaction, Ascension (only for Colonel Simmons)

AUTHORS NOTES: This started out as an answer to a challenge to write a story based on the movie 'A Long Kiss Goodnight' but I never met all of the criteria. So, although it no longer answers the challenge, thanks must go to Doc Kate for getting me started. I'd also like to thank Genie for helping to set the scene with all her Mayer information as well as Kes and Jenn for beta'ing.


Amanda Starke looked at herself in the mirror as she pinned up her shoulder length blonde hair. She took in the blue eyes, the cheeks that dimpled when she smiled. She saw the small scar that ran across her left temple and couldn't help but wonder, as she had every day for the past two and a half years, what had caused it. When she had been found that fateful day, she had been barely alive and also two months pregnant. Miraculously, the baby had survived but her memories had not. The only reason that she knew anything about herself was because she had been carrying ID. She had no idea who her son's father was, but as no one had ever tried to find her, she assumed that she hadn't been in a relationship.

Soon after she'd given birth to Jake, she'd hired a private investigator, wanting her baby to know his relatives. The PI had come up empty handed. It was as if Amanda Starke hadn't existed before her accident. She had finally given up looking for her past and was now concentrating on her future. She'd moved to a new town, no one had really known her in Phoenix anyway, and taken up a position teaching science at the local high school. She shared her house with a wonderful man, Rick, who was her best friend and had to admit she had a pretty great life. But still, every now and then she got the feeling that something was missing from her life.

She heard her son crying in his room, which shook her from her thoughts. Hurrying into the bedroom, she smiled. "Hey there, little man. Are you awake?"

Big brown eyes looked up at her. "Mommy, up!" he demanded, and Amanda ruffled his brown hair before picking him up. "Jake want miwk," he told her, as she carried him down the stairs.

"What do you say?" she gently reprimanded.

"P'ease, Mommy?" he asked, giving her that adorable puppy dog look.

Smiling, she kissed his forehead as she walked towards the kitchen. She was halfway across the living room when the front door opened and her housemate walked in.

"Hey. What'd you forget?" she asked him, amused. Hardly a day passed without her friend forgetting something.

"Oh, just a couple of files. You look great!" He whistled as she did a spin.

Amanda smiled at the complement. "Would you take me seriously?" she asked.

"Yeah, of course! Then I'd probably take you to bed," he finished with a mock leer. "I'm kidding!" he told her, seeing her look.

"You better be!" she replied.

"You look gorgeous and I bet the Board's gonna regret the day they tried to close our high school." He looked at his watch. "You better get a move on though."

"I know, but Rachel's not here to look after Jake yet." She looked at her own watch, grimacing when she saw the time.

Rick walked over to her and took Jake. "Well, my dear, you go and keep the school open. I'll watch the munchkin."

Amanda smiled a megawatt smile. "Really? That'd be great, thanks. He wants some milk and he hasn't eaten breakfast yet."

"No problem. Jake, say bye to Mommy."

"No! Mommy stay," Jake pouted.

"Jacob Charles Starke, say goodbye to your mother," Rick told the little boy.

"Bye, Mommy," he relented, giving Amanda a sloppy kiss and a big hug.

"Bye, baby. Be good for Uncle Rick." Grabbing her briefcase, she turned and hurried out the door, thanking Rick as she went.

*****

Jack O'Neill walked to the door as the doorbell rang for a third time. He knew it would be Daniel and he knew his friend wasn't going to be very happy with him.

"Hey, Jack," Daniel greeted, as he was allowed in the house.

"Hi, Daniel. Want some coffee?" Jack asked, trying to delay the inevitable questions.

"Yeah, thanks," the archaeologist replied.

They walked into the kitchen and Daniel watched as Jack made them both a cup of coffee. "So, Jack, how was your date?" he finally asked.

Jack shrugged. "Okay, I guess," he replied, unenthusiastically.

Daniel sighed. "Did you at least try, Jack? It's been over two years."

"I know, Daniel, and I did try. I just... I felt like I was cheating on Sam."

A second sigh passed Daniel's lips. "You have to accept the fact that she's gone. Sam wouldn't want you to grieve forever."

"I know. My brain's telling me that she's gone, but my heart refuses to accept that without proof."

Jack remembered the fateful day like it was yesterday. He had worked late and Sam had gone home, telling him she'd wait up for him. When he'd gotten to her house a few hours later, he'd found the police there and no Sam. The neighbors had heard shouting and seen two men in ski masks dragging her out of the house at gun point and into a waiting van. The van had later been found burned out, but there were no clues. They, and Sam, had disappeared without a trace.

Daniel had been trying to get Jack to move on for months. He didn't think it was healthy for his friend to try and hold on to the past, not after so long. "Jack, think about it. If whoever abducted her let her go or she escaped, she would have come home to you."

"What if they still have her?" Jack persisted.

"What would be the point of keeping her for over two years?" Daniel countered.

"What was the point of taking her in the first place? We never got any demands. They just took her and disappeared. I know you think I'm crazy, but she doesn't *feel* dead." He sighed. "You know, sometimes I wish they'd found her body... God, that sounds appalling!"

"No, Jack, I understand. Then you'd have closure."

They walked back out into the living room and Jack turned the TV on. He hoped it would distract his friend enough to stop him asking questions. Daniel had set him up on a date with an Interior Designer called Anna. Jack had to admit that she was a nice enough woman, but Daniel had obviously tried hard to find someone who was the total opposite of Sam and he'd noticed. Everything she did or said felt wrong to him and in the end he had cut their date short, feigning a headache. The only woman he wanted to date was Sam, but she'd disappeared off the face of the Earth.

Jack sighed as he flicked through the channels, hardly even looking until Daniel jumped up. "Turn it back!" he shouted.

"Huh? It's just the news..."

"Now!"

Jack turned it back with a shrug and promptly dropped his coffee. There on the screen was a woman with blonde hair, blue eyes and a smile he'd know anywhere. "Sam?" he whispered, not believing his own eyes. "Daniel? Am I hallucinating?" Jack asked, tears in his eyes.

"It's not possible," Daniel replied, more to himself than to Jack.

"Where was that at?!" Jack asked, alarmed that the report had ended.

"I think they said it was Mayer in Arizona. Jack, there's got to be a logical explanation for this. Why would Sam be playing schoolteacher in another state? Unless... Could she be in witness protection?"

Jack shook his head. "Daniel, if she was in trouble she would have told me. Besides, what better place to be protected then twenty-eight levels under a mountain in a top secret military facility?"

"Then what?"

"I don't know, but we're gonna find out. Let's go to the Base and tell Hammond. Then we'll pick Teal'c up and go."

*****

Daniel let out a sigh of relief when Jack pulled up at the Base. The ride up had been hair-raising to say the least. He was surprised they had made it in one piece and even more surprised Jack hadn't been pulled over for speeding. He had to hurry to catch his friend, who had rushed from the car towards the elevator.

"Jack," Daniel started, as they rode down into the mountain. "You do know that she may not want to see us, don't you? Hell, it might not even be her! It could have been wishful thinking."

Jack looked at him for a moment. "If it had been just me, I'd probably agree with you, but you saw her too." He looked away. "You'd already given her up for dead, so I don't think it was your imagination."

"Jack..." Daniel started, but was cut off by the opening of the elevator doors. He rushed after his friend and they hurriedly signed their name at the next checkpoint. Daniel waited until they were in the second elevator before speaking again.

"Jack, I didn't just give up on her," he told his friend, hurt by the accusation. "I just didn't think it was possible that she would still be alive without us hearing something."

"Well she is," Jack bit back. "And we left her out there by herself." He sighed. "I should have kept looking," he finished, his voice quiet.

"Where, Jack?" Daniel persisted. "How were we supposed to know where to look? There were no leads, no sign of where she or her abductors had gone. There was no way we could have searched *everywhere*. You did everything you could to find her."

"Yeah, well it wasn't enough." The elevator doors opened and he walked out.

Daniel hurried after Jack, only catching him as he slowed in front of the General's office. He gave Jack a reassuring smile before watching him knock on the door.

"Come in!" Hammond called.

*****

Jack took a deep breath before opening the door and walking into his CO's office. Daniel followed closely behind.

"Colonel? Doctor? What can I do for you?" he asked, his face showing his surprise at see them on the Base on their day off.

"We think we've found Carter," Jack explained, taking the seat that Hammond gestured to.

Hammond's eyes widened. "How? Where?" he asked, shocked.

"We're not certain," Daniel said, ignoring Jack's glare. "But we saw a woman on the news..."

"If it wasn't her, sir, then she's got a twin. Her hair looked longer but..." He broke off, trying to rein in his emotions.

"The similarity was remarkable, sir," Daniel said.

Hammond looked at them for a moment. "Gentlemen," he began, choosing his words carefully. "I know that both of you were close to Major Carter and that you would do anything to have her back where she belongs. But..."

"Don't say it, sir," Jack interrupted. "We weren't imagining it. It was her."

"Then how do you explain why she hasn't come back?" Hammond reasoned.

"She had a different name. Maybe she's in some trouble or something. We're not going to know until we get there and see her."

The General sighed. "I'm not sure I can authorize this."

"Then give us leave, sir," Jack insisted. "Let Daniel, Teal'c and I go and check it out." He pressed his advantage, "How would General Carter react if he found out you sat on a possible lead?"

"Don't threaten me, Colonel," Hammond warned. He sighed, "Jack, I understand this is personal to you..."

"Major Carter is the foremost expert on the Stargate, sir. It's in the United States' best interest to get her back."

The General knew he was trying to deflect the attention from his feelings for the Major. He shook his head, realizing that if he denied the request, Jack would more than likely go AWOL. He wouldn't be responsible for ending a fine officer's career. "I can give you both leave, but Teal'c left with Bra'tac this morning. He won't be back for three days."

If Jack hadn't been so preoccupied, he would have questioned what Teal'c was doing, as it was he barely stopped himself from rushing straight from the room without another word. "Thank you, sir. I can't promise how long this will take."

Hammond gave him a fatherly smile. "Take all the time you need." He watched the two men get to their feet and head for the door. "And, Colonel? Good luck."

"Thank you."

*****

Daniel walked through the front door of his house, closing the door behind him. "Janet?" he called.

"I'm upstairs!" he heard her call back.

Taking a deep breath, he walked up the stairs. He still had no idea what he was going to tell her. She was in no condition to get upset or decide to try and go with them.

"Hey," she greeted as he walked into the bedroom.

"Hi," he returned, taking in the sight of her, as she lay propped up by pillows on the bed. He never tired of looking at her and now that her body seemed to be changing daily, it was an even greater joy. "What are you reading?" he asked.

She held up one of the many pregnancy books that she'd bought.

He grinned, walking over and giving her a kiss. "I still don't get why you feel you have to buy those things. You're a doctor!"

Janet rolled her eyes, having heard that comment more than once. "And I told you that it is a little different when it's actually happening to you. I just want to be prepared."

"I know," he assured her, thinking it was actually quite cute.

"So," she continued, getting up off the bed. "How did the Colonel's date go?"

Daniel's grin froze on his face as he remembered what he'd seen earlier. "Ah, he bailed," he told her honestly.

She saw the change in him, immediately asking him what was wrong.

"Nothing," he told her.

"Daniel Jackson! I know when you're hiding something!"

Daniel went to the closet and grabbed his suitcase. "It's nothing for you to worry about, I've just got to go out of town for a while," he said as he began to pack.

"Where?" Janet asked, surprised.

"It... it doesn't matter where. Jack needs me to go with him."

Janet put her hands on her hips, looking fierce despite her small size. "I am your wife! I think I deserve to know what in the hell is going on!"

Daniel sighed and walked over to her. "Janet, I just... I don't want you to get your hopes up. You're six months into what has been a tough pregnancy, you don't need the added stress."

"And you think taking off and not telling me will be better?" she demanded, hurt by his reluctance.

Sighing again, he led her over to their bed and sat her down. "Okay, but you have to stay calm and you have to promise you won't try and come with me."

"Okay," she replied, willing to agree to anything as long as he told her the truth.

"I was at Jack's today and... we think we might have located Sam."

Janet gasped, her hand covering her mouth as she looked at him, eyes wide. "Is she..."

"We don't really know anything yet. We're not even positive that it's her. If it is, then she looks okay."

"Tell me everything."

He explained as he finished packing and by the time he'd finished, he could see the hope shining in her brown eyes. "Honey, we might be wrong. I know it sounds promising, but I don't want you to get your hopes up."

"She's alive, Daniel. I know she is. Please bring her home?"

He saw her tears and took her in his arms. "You know we'll do everything in our power. Jack's on the case after all."

Her eyes brightened, his words giving her confidence a boost. She knew how that man felt about her best friend and if there were a way to get her back, he'd find it. "Be careful?" she asked, feeling a slight foreboding. "We need you here."

"I'll be back soon. Just look after yourself, okay? Look after our baby." He paused, looking at her for a moment. "Call me if you need me."

"I will," she returned. "Look after the Colonel? He's not as strong as he makes out, especially when it comes to Sam."

"I know," Daniel agreed.

*****

The flight to Phoenix seemed to take forever. Daniel looked over at his friend as the plane finally taxied in. "Jack, I don't want you to do anything stupid when we get there, okay? We have no idea what's going on. The last thing we should do is go running in without a clue."

"I know, Daniel. As hard as it's going to be not to rush up to her and take her in my arms, I know I can't just do that." He shook his head. "A part of me is convinced that we made a mistake. It just seems so unreal."

Daniel nodded, rising from his seat. "I know, Jack. I know."

After departing the plane and collecting their bags, Daniel and Jack hired a car so they could drive to the small town of Mayer. "So, what do we do when we get there?" Daniel asked, once they'd started driving.

"The first thing we've got to do is locate her. Then see if she wants to talk."

Daniel looked incredulous. "Do you really think we can just go walking up to her? We have no idea why she's playing teacher in another state."

"We can do subtle, Daniel. Trust me."

Daniel snorted, but said nothing further.

*****

Classes had just finished for the day, when Jack and Daniel pulled up opposite the school. They waited as the children filed out, excited at finishing school for the day. They both spotted the blonde woman at the same time, Daniel noticing Jack tense and the small gasp that escaped his lips. Seeing her with his own eyes, he was convinced that the woman was Samantha Carter.

They watched as she talked to a group of students for a few minutes, before heading towards a white Buick. As she drove off, Jack pulled out behind her and they followed her home.

They'd only been driving for about a mile when she pulled into a gated community. They pulled up down the street from the home she turned into, watching as she got out of the car and walked in the front door of the house.

"Nice place," Daniel observed, taking in the modern brick home before him. He turned to look at Jack. "What now?"

Jack said nothing for a minute, scanning the area for ideas on the best way to approach her. Then he spotted the 'For Sale' sign on the lawn of the place next door and it hit him. "We're in the market for a new house, Daniel," he replied, getting out of the car.

Daniel scrambled out after him, catching up only when he paused at the end of the path. "Take it easy, Jack, okay?"

Jack nodded and walked up the path, pressing the doorbell before he could lose his nerve. His heart was hammering in his chest as he heard footsteps approaching and the door opened. There she stood, no more than three feet away from him. Jack's breath caught in his throat. She was as beautiful as he remembered. Right down to the curious smile that graced her face.

"Can I help you?" she asked, when they didn't speak.

Daniel, seeing the state his friend was in, took over. "Hi, we're sorry to disturb you, but we're interested in buying the place next door and just wanted to talk to the neighbors. You know, get an idea about the area and such."

"Oh, really?" she asked. "It's a big place. Is it just the two of you?"

Daniel's face burned at the implications of that question. "No, no. My wife and daughter too."

Amanda blushed. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to pry. I..." She was cut off from finishing by a voice coming from inside the house.

"Is everything all right, Amanda?" Rick called.

"Yeah, Rick. Just some people looking at next door."

She smiled apologetically, missing the look of sheer desolation that crossed Jack's face. "Anyway, the neighborhood's great. Everyone's very friendly and we have a low crime rate. How old is your daughter?"

"Sixteen," Daniel replied, wanting to get out of there soon. Jack looked like he was ready to explode.

"Wonderful. I'm a teacher at the local High School. We have a great curriculum there and I can guarantee it'll be open for a few years, at the very least."

Daniel nodded. "Well the place sounds great. Thank you very much for your time." He held out his hand. "My name's Daniel by the way. Daniel Jackson." He watched her face carefully for some kind of recognition, but saw none.

"I'm Amanda Starke," she replied, shaking the offered hand.

"This is my friend, Jack O'Neill."

Again, her face showed nothing. She held out her hand, but Jack refused it, just telling Daniel it was time to go. He knew if he touched her, he'd never be able to let her go again.

Daniel smiled apologetically, watching as Jack walked back to the car. "Sorry about Jack's manners. He's going through a difficult time at the moment. His girlfriend was abducted a few years ago and he's never really gotten over it. It's one of the reasons for the move actually. Try and get him to start over."

"Well you couldn't have picked a better place," she replied. "If you do end up buying next door, then you'll have to come over for a welcome to the neighborhood party."

"That sounds great," Daniel replied, trying to get out of there as soon as he could. He pointed toward the car. "I better get going. Thanks for your time."

She smiled. "You're welcome and maybe I'll see you soon."

Daniel nodded, saying a final goodbye and heading back to the car. Once inside, they were both silent for a moment before Jack seemed to deflate beside him.

"God, Daniel. It was her. She was right there and she didn't even acknowledge who I was!"

"I don't think she knew who you were," Daniel told him. "There was no hint of recognition in her eyes."

"What are you saying? You think she was brain-washed?"

"I don't know. None of this makes any sense, but can you think of a better explanation?"

Jack shook his head. "We could really use the Doc's expertise at the moment."

"No, Jack. I'm not getting her involved in this. You know how tough this pregnancy's been..."

"Relax, Daniel. I'd never do anything to jeopardize your wife or child. We just have to figure this out ourselves."

*****

They ended up calling the Base as soon as they checked into the local motel and Hammond was amazed at what he heard. "You're positive that it's Major Carter?" he asked.

"I think I know what my 2IC looks like," Jack snapped in reply. He sighed. "Sorry, sir. This is just really frustrating."

"I understand that, Colonel. Doctor Warner has just arrived, I'll put you on speaker phone." He pressed the button and replaced the receiver. "Why don't you tell Warner what you told me?" he suggested.

Jack recounted the events of the afternoon for a second time, nodding his thanks to Daniel as he handed him a glass of whiskey. He took a large sip as Warner started talking.

"Without examining her, Colonel, it's going to be impossible for me to give you an accurate diagnosis. It could be brainwashing, it could be amnesia. I think the most important thing is to try and get her back here so that we can determine the problem and then take steps to rectify it."

"Okay. How do I do that? I mean, I can't just ask her now, can I?"

"I wouldn't advise you to tell her anything until I can examine her," Warner warned. "It could be very dangerous to bombard her with information when we have no idea what the cause of her memory loss is."

"So I only have to convince her to travel a few hundred miles with nothing more than 'for the fun of it' as a reason? Easy."

"I'd also be wary of upsetting her, Colonel, so force is not an option."

"Any suggestions?" he asked.

"Use your imagination, Colonel," Hammond suggested.

"Right, thanks." He hung up the phone and turned to where Daniel was seated on one of the beds.

"So we have to get her back to the SGC?" Daniel asked.

"Yeah. Without telling her anything or upsetting her. Any ideas?"

"Why don't we just tell her it's a matter of national security?"

Jack shrugged. "I guess that's as good an idea as any. You think we can make that work without giving anything away?"

"I don't see any other way. If we plan it right, she won't suspect a thing."

"Okay, we'll go first thing in the morning. I'll call Hammond back and get him to have a plane waiting for us at Prescott. It'll be a bit suspicious if we head back on a commercial flight."

Daniel nodded his agreement. "We should get something to eat, Jack."

"I don't think I could eat anything," he admitted. His stomach was in knots and all he wanted to do was go back to her house and get her immediately.

"You need to. You're not going to help her by making yourself sick."

Reluctantly, Jack nodded his agreement. "You're right, let's go. We can discuss the plan while we're eating."

*****

Amanda placed her slumbering child in his bed, pulling the blankets up over him and gently running a hand over his soft hair. "Goodnight, little man," she whispered.

Watching him for a moment longer, she reluctantly left him to sleep and headed back down stairs. She walked into the living room, sitting down with a sigh.

"He went down okay?" Rick asked, looking up from the paper he was reading.

"Out like a light," she replied.

He smiled at her. "How about I open a bottle of wine and we celebrate your victory?"

"Okay," she replied with a smile of her own.

Rick got up and headed into the kitchen, returning a few minutes later with a bottle of red and two glasses. He poured the wine, handing one to Amanda before retaking his seat. "Here's to Mayer High School and their feisty science teacher," he toasted.

She laughed, reaching across to clink her glass with his. "Cheers."

They were quiet for a few moments, before Rick spoke up. "So, what were the people looking at the Thompson's place like?"

Amanda shrugged. "Seemed nice enough. One of them, Daniel I think his name was, is married with a sixteen-year-old daughter. They're looking at moving here with their friend, Jack."

Rick smiled, hearing something in her voice. "I take it this 'Jack' was okay, huh?"

She blushed. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Do you really think you can fool me?" he laughed.

She smiled, but the smile turned into a sigh. "I don't know what it was, but I felt this immediate connection to him."

"Thank God for that."

Amanda raised an eyebrow. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Amanda, honey, you know I love you but I was starting to get a little worried you were gonna end up an old maid. Maybe if this Jack guy moves in next door you can finally start getting out and having some fun."

"I have fun," she protested. "It's just a little hard to go out every night when I'm a single mom."

Rick shook his head. "Don't go using Jake as an excuse. There are plenty of people who would be willing to care for him. I think my mother's resigned to the fact he's as close as she'll get to a grandchild."

She laughed at that. "I've just never found anyone who I've been attracted to. I don't know, maybe I'm subconsciously waiting for Jake's father to turn up."

"It's been more than two years. You have to start living your life. You can't put it on hold for someone who may never show up."

"Maybe you're right, but I don't think Jack would be a smart move. Apparently his girlfriend was abducted or something and he's still cut-up about it."

He winked at her. "Maybe you'll be just the thing to help him get over it."

Amanda laughed, shaking her head at her friend. The ringing of the doorbell interrupted their conversation and she looked at her watch, frowning. "Who would be calling around at this time of night?"

"You want me to get it?" Rick asked.

She shook her head. "No, it's okay." She got to her feet, placing her wine glass on the table before heading for the door. She was greeted with the barrel of a gun as she opened the door. Screaming, she tried to close the door but the balaclava-clad man on the other side was quicker, pushing his way in.

"Amanda?!" Rick called, rushing out from the living room.

"Rick, look out!" she cried, too late.

The armed intruder hit Rick over the head with the gun and he fell to the ground, unconscious. He then turned back to see Amanda armed with an umbrella, about to strike. He waved the gun in her face. "I wouldn't, unless you want to be shot!"

Dropping the umbrella, Amanda held her hands up in front of her. "Please," she begged. "Take whatever you want. Just don't hurt us."

"Does that mean you'll come willingly? Because it's you I came for."

"Me?" she asked, starting to cry. "What do you want with me? I'll give you anything..."

"Shut up!" he commanded. "You're not so tough. I don't know why they thought I'd have a problem with you." He pushed her toward the door. "Let's go and if you try anything you'll get a bullet, got it?"

Amanda could only nod, her throat too constricted to talk. She did as she was told, walking out the door and stopping at the rear of a black van. He knocked on the door and it opened, revealing another armed man.

"Nice to meet you, Major Carter," he greeted. "I've heard a lot about you."

"You've got the wrong person!" Amanda cried. "My name's Amanda Starke."

"Nice try," the first man sneered. "Now get in."

Afraid for her safety, she did as she was told. "Where are we going?"

"Let's just say our boss is very interested in how you came back from the dead."

*****

"I can't wait until morning," Jack suddenly blurted out. He and Daniel had just returned from dinner, where Jack had spent most of the time playing with his food instead of eating it.

"I'm surprised you lasted this long," Daniel replied, with a smile. "It's after nine though, won't it be a bit suspicious?"

"It's a matter of national security, doesn't matter what time it is. The plane will be at Prescott first thing in the morning, but why don't we get her now and drive back there. We'll find a motel for the night once we get there."

"Won't that be a little suspicious?"

"I don't care, Daniel. I can't just sit here, knowing she's five minutes away. I just... I have a bad feeling that if we wait until morning, she'll be gone again."

Daniel nodded, getting to his feet and packing his bag. "Okay, let's go."

They made it in record time, but Jack knew immediately that something was wrong. The front door stood open, light filtering out onto the front lawn. He reached for his gun as he exited the car, warning Daniel to be on alert.

They walked quickly but carefully up to the door, Jack taking point as they entered the house. He spotted Rick on the floor immediately, but did a quick sweep before heading over to him. Rick was just regaining consciousness, groaning as he probed the spot he'd been hit.

"Where's Sam?!" Jack demanded.

"Who?" Rick asked, still groggy.

"Amanda," Daniel supplied. "Where is she?"

"Who in the hell are you?!" he asked, finally focusing on the two men above him.

"It doesn't matter!" Jack shouted. "Just tell us where she is!"

"I don't know," he replied, slowly sitting up. "This guy came, he had a gun. He knocked me out." He paled. "I remember coming to for a minute and he was taking her out the door. Oh, God! He took her!"

"Who?" Jack asked. "Who took her?"

"How the hell should I know?! Some guy wearing green, you know like military clothes. He had a balaclava on."

"Jesus," Jack whispered. "Not again." He'd lost her. He'd been so close and he'd lost her.

"Jack, we need to call Hammond," Daniel said.

Jack handed him the phone. "I can't, Daniel. I..." He trailed off, but Daniel understood, taking the phone and making the call.

"Are you going to tell me who you are now?" Rick asked, as Jack helped him into the living room.

"We're Air Force," Jack replied.

"Hang on, you were the guys here earlier looking at the house, weren't you? Amanda said the guys were called Jack and Daniel."

Jack nodded. "We had to make sure it was really her."

"Why did you call her Sam before?"

"That's classified. Look, we really need your help. Anything you can tell us..."

"I don't know what happened! All I know is that this only occurred after you showed up!"

Daniel re-entered the living room then, handing the phone back to Jack. "The General said to do anything necessary to get her back, but we have to remember that we don't have jurisdiction here." He held up his hand before Jack could start his rant. "He's on the phone to the president as we speak and within the hour we'll have full FBI support."

"I can't wait that long. If it was NID that took her, she probably doesn't have that long."

*****

Amanda had her hands tied behind her back after being made to sit in the uncomfortable wooden chair. She grimaced in pain as she tested her restraints, the hard plastic biting into her wrists. She looked around, vaguely familiar with her surroundings. She knew she was in the old antique store at the edge of town. The place was out of the way and she wondered if anyone would look for her there. She looked up then as a tall man in a navy blue suit walked into the room.

"Colonel Simmons," one of the men greeted. "Everything went according to plan."

"Very good, Captain." Simmons turned to look at Amanda. "Hello, Major Carter."

Amanda shook her head. "Look, I've been trying to tell these guys that there's been a mistake. My name is Amanda Starke. Please, just let me go and I won't tell anyone anything."

He smiled, but it wasn't a pleasant one. "I never knew you were such an actress, Major. It really is very good, but I just don't have the time right now. I need to know what you remember about your... stay with us."

"I don't know what you're talking about!" she cried.

"She's been like this the whole time," the captain explained. "Maybe she really doesn't know."

"Didn't they ever teach you tactics for withstanding interrogation, Captain?" Simmons asked. "Perhaps we need to start giving the major some kind of incentive. You've been tortured before, haven't you, Major?"

Amanda started crying, her fear getting the better of her at the mention of torture. "Please let me go. I'd tell you if I knew anything, I swear!"

"I don't see what you are trying to prove by lying," Simmons said, circling around her.

"I told you. My name is Amanda Starke. You've got the wrong person. I'm not a major, I'm a goddamn science teacher!" she spat in reply.

Losing his patience, Simmons nodded to one of his men, who hit her across the face with the butt of his pistol. She slumped forward, unconscious.

It was in this unconsciousness that the dreams came.

"Where's he transferring from?"

"*She* is transferring from the Pentagon."

The female voice was hers, the other belonging to the handsome man she'd met earlier that evening. He was standing in front of her, looking tall and proud in a military uniform that was adorned with many ribbons.

"You must be Colonel O'Neill. Captain Samantha Carter, reporting as ordered," she told him, snapping off a salute.

In the second dream, the handsome man was there again, but this time they were arguing.

"Just tell me, what the hell you want?!" he yelled.

"I want things back the way they were! I want to be able to be around you without watching every word I say! I want us to be friends again!" she screamed in reply.

"But you don't want us," he finished for her.

She sighed, the anger draining from her. "We can't have us, you know that."

"No, Sam, I don't. All I know is that every time I try to reach out to you, you push me away. We could have everything we want, if you'd only allow yourself to let go of that goddamn military discipline long enough to let me in."

She shook her head, tears welling. "You don't know what you're asking."

He reached out with a shaky hand and cupped her cheek. "Yes, I do. I'm asking you to love me, like I love you."

The third dream was far more intimate. The two of them were lying together in bed, both naked.

"Jack? Is this the way it will always be? Us having to hide away from the world?"

He rolled her over onto her back, leaning over her. "No, baby. Things are gonna get better real soon, I promise."

"What do you mean?" she asked, somewhat nervous.

"Don't you worry about it, okay?"

"Jack..." He cut her off, bringing their lips together in a passionate kiss.

*****

It was hours later when consciousness returned slowly, leaving Amanda feeling decidedly groggy and even more confused. Surely her dreams had been just that, dreams brought on by seeing the handsome guy the day before and all of that madman's talk about her being in the military? She heard someone shuffling towards her and opened her eyes.

"Thank God you're finally awake," the man, who was wearing an Air Force uniform, said. Amanda noted he was a major and then wondered how she could have known that. "Can you walk?" He cut her binds and helped her to her feet.

"I think so," she replied, trying to make her legs co-operate.

"Great, then perhaps we can leave? I don't want to be around when Simmons returns."

Amanda got groggily to her feet, allowing the man to steady her when she swayed. She then let him lead her out of the room and into another room in the back of the store. She stumbled, spotting the storeowner dead in the corner of the room. The major didn't give her time to freak out; he just kept pulling her toward the backdoor. They'd just made it out of the store when she heard a shout coming from her left. She spotted the man standing a few feet away, already pulling his weapon.

The major pushed her to the side, effectively pulling his own gun and disabling the gunman. The noise was enough to rouse everyone else and they could hear shouting coming from inside the building. They must have been coming through the store from the front, she gathered, squinting at the early morning sunlight.

"We have to get out of here!" the major cried. He pulled her around the side of the building, to where an old red Mustang sat. By this time there were half a dozen men tearing out of the building and Amanda screamed as they started shooting.

The major broke the window of the car and unlocked the door, all the while shooting back. "I've got to hotwire this thing!" he yelled. "You'll have to cover us!"

He handed her his gun and Amanda didn't even hesitate. She aimed and fired at the men.

The mustang suddenly sprang into life, roaring loudly above the noise of the gunfight. "Get in the car!" the major yelled and, firing one last round, she obeyed.

It was only once they were safely away that she realized what she had done. She looked down at the gun in her hands and gasped. "Oh, God. What did I do?"

The man took the gun from her, flicking on the safety and placing it on the dashboard. "Do me a favor, don't barf in the car."

"Who are you?" she asked.

"My name's Major Diffie. I'm the one who was supposed to kill you two and a half years ago. I'm also the one who risked my ass and spent my life savings to keep you alive."

Amanda shook her head. "I don't understand."

"Your name is Major Samantha Carter. You're a member of the SGC. NID took you so they could experiment on you. Things got a little hairy and Simmons ordered you killed so that no one would find out what they were up to. I was ordered to... dispose of the evidence, but I couldn't do it. I was going to let you go, but we'd been followed by one of Simmons' goons. He shot you, thankfully the bullet only grazed your temple, but it was enough to give you amnesia. I organized a new identity for you, bought you a house and car..."

"Why? Why not take me back where I belonged?" she asked, her head spinning from what she was hearing.

"I figured you'd be safer. Besides, Simmons would have killed me as soon as he found out you were alive."

"This is crazy!" she exclaimed, torn between believing him and giving him directions to the nearest mental institution.

"Well, you're used to crazy," he muttered.

"What?"

"Nothing. Any more questions?"

"Do you know who my baby's father is?" she asked, the question coming out before she'd even thought about it.

Diffie smiled. "I've got a fair idea. That's who we're going to see now."

"Where?"

"Colorado Springs."

Amanda gave him an incredulous look. "We're *driving* to Colorado Springs? It's twelve hours away!"

"What do you suggest? Catch a plane and alert them to where we are? We get you to the SGC and we can finish this for good."

*****

Diffie saw Amanda - and he had to admit this was Amanda and not Major Carter - shaking her head out of the corner of his eye and waited for her next question. He figured she'd have a few and they had twelve hours to kill while they drove to Cheyenne Mountain.

"This Simmons. What does he want with me?" she eventually asked.

He hesitated. He wasn't sure how much to tell her. Not enough and she wouldn't realize the seriousness of the situation. Too much and she'd think he was insane.

"I think I have a right to know why some madman is after me!" she insisted.

"Something happened to you a few years ago and it changed you. Simmons wanted to experiment with you. Only problem was that your Colonel was getting too close to the truth, so Simmons was ordered to get rid of you before the whole project was exposed."

"This is sounding more and more like something from a TV show!"

"Maybe, but it's also the truth. You're part of a team called SG-1 with Colonel O'Neill, Doctor Jackson..."

"What?" Amanda asked, startled.

"What?"

"Do you mean Jack O'Neill and Daniel Jackson?"

"Yes. Do you remember them?"

"I don't know about remember, but they were at my house yesterday."

Diffie looked sharply over at her. "Are you sure?"

"Well, I can't be sure it was them, but that's who they said they were."

Diffie shook his head. "That doesn't make sense. They wouldn't have left you there if they thought you were in danger."

"What do these people look like?" she asked.

Diffie gave a description of both men, turning to see Amanda nodding her agreement. "That was them."

"Why the hell would they have left you there?" he asked, talking to himself more than her. "They must have realized that there was something wrong when you didn't recognize them. Shit! What now?" He wasn't sure what to do. Did he continue on to Colorado Springs and the SGC or would he be better off heading back to Mayer and finding O'Neill and Jackson?

"I can't leave my baby unprotected," Amanda stated then, making the decision for him.

"Okay," he nodded. "We'll head back and get him. I just hope to God that your teammates have figured out what's going on."

*****

Jack paced back and forth across the linoleum floor of the local Sheriff's office, his agitation clear from his posture. He looked at his watch, noticing the time was nearing 0700 hours. It was taking too long. Why the hell did he have to play nice with civilian law enforcement when the woman he loved was in danger? He shuddered as he thought of what could be happening to her, assuming that they hadn't just killed her.

The General had assured him that he was calling in favors, trying to figure out if there was a military faction behind her abduction, but Jack knew the truth. The NID had taken her from right under his nose, not once but twice. How in the hell could he let it happen again? Why hadn't he insisted that they take her with them when she was standing three feet in front of him?

"Stop beating yourself up," Daniel admonished, handing his friend a Styrofoam cup of coffee.

Jack accepted the cup and took a sip, grimacing at the taste. "That's disgusting," he muttered.

"I know, but I figured you could use the caffeine."

Jack nodded, acknowledging the truth. It was all that was keeping him going, that and the determination that he would not lose her a second time. "What's taking so long?" he asked.

"The FBI is ten minutes out," the Sheriff told him. "They're sending a Crime Scene Unit straight to the house and the agents assigned to the case will meet us here. Please be patient, Colonel, these people know what they're doing and they'll get Miss Starke... uh Carter back."

Jack snorted, not entirely convinced. He just hoped that the General had talked to the president and he would be in charge of the investigation. There was no way he was sitting on the sidelines while someone screwed up again.

"I'm glad I didn't call Janet last night," Daniel said, obviously trying to keep Jack occupied.

"Yeah," Jack agreed. "You would have gotten her hopes up only to have this happen. Wouldn't have been great in her condition."

Daniel nodded. "Yeah." He smiled a little. "She's sure Sam'll be back by the time the baby's born."

Jack smiled as well. "Sam's gonna be so shocked when she finds out that you two got hitched and are expecting a kid."

"She will," Daniel agreed. He frowned, looking for something else to say to keep Jack's thoughts from turning dark, but his own thoughts were interrupted by the arrival of the FBI.

"Finally, "Jack muttered, immediately on his way over.

"Are you Colonel O'Neill?" the first agent, a tall graying man of about Jack's age, asked.

Jack nodded, taking the man's offered hand. "I am. I gather you've been briefed on the situation?"

"We have. We've been told, by the president no less, that we are to offer you our full support in locating a Major Carter and bringing her abductors to justice." He introduced himself as Agent Schaefer, then turned and introduced the other agents. A short, dumpy woman in her thirties known as Agent Clarke, a rather tall and striking brunette called Flint and a young man who looked like he wasn't old enough to shave yet, who the other agents called Junior.

"Agent Riley," the young man introduced. He looked entirely too eager for Jack's liking, but he supposed enthusiasm was better than nonchalance, even if it could get them all killed.

*****

Diffie was pensive as he maneuvered the stolen vehicle back towards Mayer. He had a bad feeling about returning to the town. He should be getting the both of them as far away as he could, not heading back into the lion's den. The only thing that stopped him from making a U-turn was the woman looking so scared in the seat beside him.

She really was a completely different person to the feisty major he'd met years earlier. He guessed this was Samantha Carter. The woman behind the military bravado and past experiences that had shaped her into the tower of strength he had met... and helped break.

He was still disgusted at what they had done. They had experimented with her like she was nothing more than a lab rat. How could he have been a part of that? 'But you got her out,' he reminded himself. 'You didn't shoot her like an old nag, passed its usefulness.' He took solace in that and the fact that he was determined to keep both her and her child safe.

He caught her wringing her hands. "Don't worry," he assured her. "We'll get to him."

"Does this Simmons guy know about my son?" Amanda asked.

Diffie shrugged. "I don't know, maybe. He knew you were pregnant, but it's a miracle the baby survived. Hopefully, he thinks you miscarried."

"God," Amanda breathed. "I can't let them hurt my baby."

"We won't let them," he told her, hoping he sounded more confident than he felt. He reached out and laid a hand over hers. "I promise I'll do everything I can to ensure your safety."

She nodded, looking across and smiling at him. "Thank you." She gave a laugh devoid of any humor. "I'm not exactly acting like a major should, am I?"

"You'll remember, I'm sure. You certainly remembered how to use a weapon when you had to."

She shivered as she recalled shooting several men. "Did I do that a lot?"

"Probably a lot more than you wanted to, but from what I've heard you can handle yourself in any situation."

"Except this one," she pointed out.

He accepted that point and was about to reply when he spotted two black vans up ahead. Two very NID-looking vans. "Shit!" he cursed, quickly pulling into a side street. He looked in his rearview mirror and saw that the vans had followed them.

"Oh, God. They're after us!" Amanda cried. "Do something!"

"What would you like me to do?" he asked, struggling to control the Mustang as it fishtailed on the dirt road.

"Something! Please, you can't let them get me again!"

Diffie could see she was panicking, on the verge of hysteria, and if he didn't snap her out of it she'd end up getting them both killed. He fishtailed around another corner, regaining control before reaching for the weapon, he'd discarded earlier. "Here," he barked, handing it to her. "Aim for the tires!"

"I can't do this!" she told him, her hands shaking as she held the weapon.

"Yes you can and you will if you want us to get to your kid in one piece!"

It was a cheap shot and he knew it but it seemed to work. He saw her jaw tighten in determination and she turned to lean out the window. The first two shots were wild and Diffie cursed the wasted ammunition. "Come on, Carter. You can do this."

His words had the desired effect. Her hand steadied and she took aim. The first shot hit the front grill, puncturing the radiator. Steam spewed from the car but they kept coming. The second shot hit its mark, puncturing the front right tire and causing the van to veer sharply to the right. Diffie glanced in the rearview mirror just in time to see the lead van hit the embankment on the side of the road and launch into the air. It landed on its side and rolled several times before coming to rest against a tree.

The second van swerved sharply and managed to avoid the crash. It didn't slow down to help those trapped, but kept chasing after them. Diffie cursed again, about to prompt his passenger into action again when she fired at the second van. The bullet hit the windscreen, but had no affect on the van's pursuit of them. Her second shot also hit the windscreen, however this one must have hit the driver. He saw the van lurch to the left and over the edge of a small cliff. He then saw a fireball and black smoke and knew that the van had exploded.

*****

"Neighbors report seeing two black vans but, so far, we've been unable to find any trace of them," Agent Schaefer told Jack and Daniel.

"What about CSU?" Jack asked, running a frustrated hand through his hair.

"They've found nothing so far. It looks as though these guys know what they're doing."

"I could have told you that," Daniel muttered.

"We've got something!" Junior shouted, running up to his boss. "Reports of shooting at the old antique store on the outskirts of town. A witness saw two black vans and the owner's red Mustang leaving the area in a hurry."

"Great work, Junior," Schaefer replied, taking the piece of paper from him. "Let's go."

They rushed outside, the FBI getting into their car while Jack and Daniel followed them in their rental. They were escorted there by the Sheriff's car, its lights flashing, and siren blaring to ensure they got there as fast as possible. They screeched to a halt outside the Antique Store.

There were several onlookers already there, chatting excitedly about what was happening. "I want them all questioned!" Jack ordered, as he jumped out of the car. He didn't expect to find Sam there, something told him that she was in the red Mustang, but he was a step closer and the adrenaline coursed through his veins at finally being able to do something.

The Sheriff and his deputy headed over to start questioning the onlookers while the FBI, Jack and Daniel all drew their guns and headed to the store. Flint, who had walked around the side of the store, called them. They all made there way around to see what she had found. Spent bullets littered the area, but Jack couldn't see any blood other than around the two bodies that lay on the ground. He took that as a good sign.

"Do you think she's remembered who she is?" Daniel asked, looking to the bodies. "I get the feeling that 'Amanda' couldn't do this."

Jack thought about that. "Maybe, but surely she would have tried to contact us if she had. Even if she'd called Hammond, he would have gotten in contact with us by now."

"She could have someone helping her," Clarke suggested.

"But who?" Daniel questioned.

Jack shrugged. "Who knows what happened here." He nodded to the agents by the back door, letting them know he was ready to enter the building. They stealthily made their way through the door, which Jack found amusing considering the amount of noise they'd made when they arrived. Still, his training kicked in and they thoroughly searched the back room. They found another body, which the Sheriff informed them was the storeowner. He'd been shot in the head at close range and it wasn't a pretty sight. He prayed he wouldn't find Sam's body next as they headed into the main room.

"This was where she was held," Schaefer stated, pointing to the plastic restraints that lay on the floor. He pulled a latex glove from his pocket and carefully picked up one of them. "It's been cut clean. Looks like she's got help."

"Get CSU here," Jack told the man. "And I want pictures of the two dead men so I can get an ID. Let's see if they're NID."

His cell phone rang then and Jack quickly fished it out of his jacket pocket. "O'Neill."

"I want you to know that I had no idea what was going on," the voice on the other end told him.

"Maybourne!" Jack shouted. "Why the hell should I believe you? You had your fingers in everything NID back when she was taken."

"Not everything. There was a section of the NID that even I wanted nothing to do with."

Something clicked. "Simmons?"

"He's a dangerous man, Jack, and always gets what he wants."

"Tell me what you know," Jack demanded, his impatience clear in his voice.

"They thought she was dead. I guess someone didn't do their job. They only found out she was alive because she was on the TV."

"Where can I find her?"

"I don't know, Jack, and that's the truth. I just wanted to let you know that you may have to take some drastic measures to ensure her safety."

"You have to know more than that, Harry."

"I don't, I swear, but I'm looking into it. Keep your cell phone on."

Jack nodded, even though the other man couldn't see it. "Will do."

"Oh and, Jack?" Maybourne called, before Jack could disconnect. "I'd hurry if I were you. She's considered expendable, if you know what I mean."

Jack disconnected and put the phone back in his jacket pocket. He noticed that everyone was staring at him and shrugged. "He didn't help much. Only told me that Simmons is behind it and she's considered expendable."

"Do you mean Colonel Frank Simmons?" Schaefer asked.

"Yeah," Jack replied. "You know him?"

"We've been after that man for five years, but he has friends in high places."

Daniel snorted. "Yeah, so high the air gets very thin."

"Jesus, this could be our chance," Clarke stated, a glint entering her eye.

"Hey!" Jack barked. "Our primary objective is retrieving Major Carter alive and well. Don't you forget that."

"Of course it is," Schaefer placated. "But if we are dealing with Simmons, then we don't have much time. He isn't known for leaving behind loose ends."

*****

Diffie pulled over to the side of the road, turning to look at the woman sitting beside him. There was a difference about her and he realized that the woman he knew as Major Carter was starting to emerge. "I think it's dangerous to head back to town. There's no way of knowing if they radioed for back up before they were neutralized. If they're expecting us, then we don't have a chance."

"I can't put my baby at risk," she insisted.

"We're probably risking him more by heading back then if we just kept going to Colorado Springs," he pointed out. He sighed. "We need to put some distance between us and them. Once we do that, we'll contact the SGC and see if we can put an end to this. Deal?"

"Do I have a choice?" she asked.

"You do have a choice," he assured her. He looked at her for a moment. "How much do you remember?"

She shrugged. "Bits and pieces. It's all very confusing."

He sighed. "I wish there was more I could do. I wish..." He paused, unsure. "I wish I'd done more to prevent this from happening." He looked across at her, seeing her frown in confusion. "I was involved in your abduction and for that I am sorry. When I was asked to kill you, I was going to do it. I'm ashamed of myself for following so blindly. They told me what I was doing was essential in defending our country and I believed them."

"You wouldn't be the first person to follow orders without question." She gave him a reassuring smile. "Besides, you didn't kill me then and you didn't let them kill me this time. Thank you. I wouldn't have made it without you."

"Don't go thanking me yet. Thank me when this is all over and we're both still alive."

She smiled and nodded. "Come on, Major. Let's get out of here."

"Yes, ma'am," he agreed, putting the Mustang into gear and pulling back onto the road.

*****

Jack was studiously glaring at the floor as he sat back at the Sheriff's office. They had returned ten minutes earlier, leaving the CSU team to do their thing at the antique store. An eyewitness, who had been at the mini-storage facility across the street, had spotted Sam alive and well, which was something he was thankful for. They had also stated that she was with a man in a blue uniform, an Air Force uniform. Had one of Simmons' men grown a conscience? Or could it have been a trap, someone simply luring her in? If she couldn't remember her training, how would she defend herself if that were the case?

A pair of black leather shoes stepped into his field of view then, forcing Jack to look up at the person who accompanied them.

"I thought you might like some coffee," Agent Flint told him, offering a Styrofoam cup and a smile.

"Thanks," he replied, sitting back in his chair and taking the offered cup.

Flint nodded and pulled up a chair next to him. "So, you've been looking for Major Carter for more than two years?" she asked.

Jack nodded, but really didn't feel like talking. Flint didn't seem to get the hint though, sitting back in her chair and taking a sip from her own coffee. "Were you lovers?" She saw Jack's sharp look and shrugged. "It just seems like she's someone important to you. I don't think any of my colleagues would keep looking for me if I'd been missing for more than two years."

"Then I feel sorry for you," Jack told her. "In the military you tend to form tight bonds with your team. They'll do anything for you."

"Maybe, but I still think she was more to you than a teammate. You seem more deeply affected by her loss than Doctor Jackson, even though he is more open with his emotions than you."

"Are you a shrink?" Jack asked, suspicious.

Flint laughed at that. "I'm an FBI agent, but I do have a degree in forensic psychology."

He groaned at that. "Don't shrink me, Flint," he warned.

"I wasn't trying to," she assured him. "I just thought maybe you wanted to talk."

"And what makes you think I want to talk to you?" It came out harsher than he'd intended, but he didn't apologize.

"Because I know what it's like to have the person you love taken from you."

"Oh, really?" he sneered. "You've had a boyfriend kidnapped by a radical military group?"

"I had a boyfriend kidnapped by a serial killer," she told him bluntly.

Jack had the grace to look contrite. "I'm sorry. Did you get him back?"

She shook her head, swallowing hard. "We were too late. He was already dead." She reached out and grasped his hand. "That's why I'm determined to ensure that you get her back before that happens."

"The military has rules about fraternization between officers under the same chain of command," he told her, hoping she'd get the hint and wouldn't go sprouting off to her colleagues.

"So does the FBI," she replied. She smiled when he looked across at her, surprised. "He was a member of our team," she elaborated. "Junior took his place."

"That's hard," he agreed.

She nodded. "It's harder when no one knows about it though." She shrugged, "I guess in some ways it was easier, no one gave me pitying looks and sympathetic smiles. But I was expected to just get over it like everyone else."

"How did you do that?" he asked.

"You learn to deal. He would have hated me to ruin my life for him. He was determined not to ruin my career. Thinking back though, it was so stupid to let our jobs dictate our happiness."

Jack didn't reply, instead thinking back on the times that he'd hurt Sam in order to protect her career. There'd been times when he'd wanted nothing more than to shout from the rooftops that he was in love with Samantha Carter, but he'd held back because he didn't want to damage her position in the Air Force.

Flint seemed to know where his thoughts had headed. "It doesn't seem worth it now, does it?"

"I guess not. If she doesn't get her memories back she's out of the Air Force anyway."

"I think she's getting her memories back," Daniel said, choosing that moment to interrupt them.

"What do you mean?" Jack asked, looking up at his friend.

"Well the eyewitness said that they saw her shooting in the car park. How would she know how to shoot if she couldn't remember anything?"

"Maybe 'Amanda' learned. Hell, maybe the guy she was with told her to point and shoot and she did."

"Pretty accurate shooting for someone who's never done it."

Jack acknowledged the point. "If she is getting her memories back, she may try and get in contact with the Base. I should call Hammond."

"Do it on the way," Schaefer told him, walking over to the trio. "We've found one of the vans."

*****

Diffie kept driving for over half an hour on the treacherous road. Once he hit the crest of a hill, he pulled over. He grabbed a map, taking a few moments to figure out where they were and where they should set the meeting at. Once satisfied, he pulled out his cell phone and was relieved to see that there was a signal. He pulled out a piece of paper from his breast pocket and dialed the number he had written down earlier. He looked over and saw Sam looking steadily back at him.

"Let's get this show on the road," he told her, holding the phone to his ear. "Yes, I'd like you to put me through to General Hammond, please."

"Is the General expecting your call?" the switchboard operator asked.

"No, he is not, but it is urgent that I speak to him." Diffie tapped his fingers impatiently on the steering wheel.

"I didn't catch your name, sir."

"That's because I didn't give it," he replied. He wouldn't give his name out to just anyone, not when he had no idea who was working for Simmons. The man had moles everywhere.

"Then I cannot put you through, sir," she told him, her voice now annoyed.

"Tell him that this is in regards to Major Carter. I'm sure he'll speak to me then."

The woman sighed, but asked that he hold. A minute or so later he was surprised when he was taken off hold by a different person.

"This is General Hammond, with whom am I talking to?" a gruff voice boomed over the line.

"General Hammond? My name is Major Diffie," he introduced.

"What do you want to tell me about Major Carter," Hammond demanded, obviously in no mood to mess around.

"Firstly, I want to assure you that she's okay. Her memories are returning and she is relatively uninjured."

"Relatively?"

"Sir, we don't have a lot of time. I understand that Colonel O'Neill is in the area and I want to arrange to meet him."

"Why not just go to the Mayer Sheriff's office? It sounds to me like a set-up."

Diffie sighed. "I can assure you that it's not, sir. Simmons' men have already tried to kill us a couple of times today and I don't wanna push my luck and go for a third. I'm sure you don't want to put Major Carter in more danger than she already is in."

He heard what sounded suspiciously like a growl through the phone and wondered whether it had been wise to play the emotional card. "Sir?"

"Tell me where you want to meet him and just in case you're up to no good, I can assure you that the FBI and local Sheriff's department will be tagging along."

"Whatever. Just tell O'Neill to meet us at a ghost town called Humboldt in one hour. Maybe then we can stop Simmons ruining more lives." He hung up before the General said anything more. He turned to look at Sam, who was looking back at him with wide eyes.

"Could this really be over soon?" she asked.

"We're gonna end it, I promise." He saw her nod and her eyes twinkled with determination. Diffie realized that she believed him and he hoped to God that he didn't let her down.

*****

Jack and Daniel followed the FBI down a back road where the deputy sheriff had found the van, turned on its side up against a tree. They had already been informed that the van was empty, but Jack still jumped out of the car and rushed over, anxious to find any clues that suggested Sam had been in it. He hoped that she was still in the Mustang, getting the hell out of Dodge, but the truth was he had no idea what could have happened between her leaving the store and the van ending up crashed on its side.

"Sir, you can't touch anything," the Deputy told him, as he neared. "Not until the CSU team checks it over."

Jack acknowledged the point, but made it clear he wasn't happy about it. "What about the other van and the Mustang?" he asked.

"I haven't found any sign of them, sir, but I wanted to wait with the van."

"You did good, Felix," the Sheriff assured him.

Schaefer walked up to them then, looking at the dirt road as he walked. "Junior's positive that they were heading into the forest. What can you tell me about the area?" he asked the sheriff.

"It'll be hard going in a Mustang," he replied. "Even these vans would have some trouble. These roads are meant for high wheel-base vehicles."

"Can you get hold of a couple of SUV's for us?" Schaefer asked. "We need any advantage we can get."

"Boss!" Junior called at that moment, running down the road. "I think I found the other van!"

The group hurried towards the panting officer. "Where?" Schaefer asked.

Junior led them along the road. "I just thought I'd take a look ahead. You know, see if I could find anything. There's a spot up here where the vegetation on the side of the road has been broken down."

Jack had to wonder at the young man's enthusiasm when it turned out the spot he was talking about was a quarter of a mile down the road. "Just down here," Junior said, pointing to the spot in question.

Jack moved ahead of the others and walked through the broken down bushes. He stopped at the edge of the cliff and looked down. There, about fifty feet below them, was the still smoldering wreck. Although it was almost burnt beyond recognition, the general shape was consistent with a van.

"She wasn't in there," Daniel assured him, patting his shoulder.

Jack just nodded, not game to say anything else. The truth was they may never know. It would take DNA testing to identify anyone in the wreck. "Anything to indicate another vehicle?" he asked, looking to the left and right of him.

"There are tracks heading off down the road," Clarke stated. "Wheel size and pattern looks consistent with a short wheel-base." She smiled. "Seems consistent with the Mustang, especially if the road isn't normally frequented by short wheel-base vehicles."

Jack nodded, trying not to let too much hope bubble in his chest. "We should check out the area, make sure they didn't run off the road further ahead. If this road is dangerous..." He was interrupted by the shrill of his cell phone.

Pulling it out of his pocket, Jack noted that it was the Base's number. He took a deep breath before answering. "O'Neill."

"Colonel, this is General Hammond."

"Yes, sir?" he asked, praying for good news.

"I just received a phone call from a man who said his name was Major Diffie. He claimed to have Major Carter with him."

"Friend or foe, sir?" he asked, his heart hammering in his chest.

Hammond sighed. "He claims to be a friend, but refused to take her into the Sheriff's office."

Jack looked across and noticed that everyone was staring back at him. "What did he want then?"

"He wants to meet you. Colonel, I don't know if this is a good idea. It could be a set up."

He nodded, even thought the General couldn't see him. "Yes, sir, it could, but I can't risk doing nothing in case it is genuine. Where did he want to meet?"

The General gave him the details. "Please be careful, Colonel."

"We will, sir, and we'll bring her home soon. I promise."

He disconnected and then turned to the group still staring at him. "Okay, here's the deal."

*****

"Do you really think they'll come?" Sam asked, wringing her hands in her lap.

"I'm sure of it," he told her. "I haven't seen SG-1 in action, but I've heard enough stories to know that you guys were very close. Besides, everyone who has heard of O'Neill knows that his motto is 'nobody gets left behind'."

'Nobody gets left behind.' She remembered that, remembered how fiercely loyal he was to his people. She remembered him telling her the reason why, the night he had come so close to breaking down when he finally confided in her the horrors of his time in Iraq. She remembered how well he could hold a grudge with his enemies. She rubbed her forehead, the surge of memories causing a headache.

"You okay?" Diffie asked, immediately concerned.

"Just a headache," she replied, giving him a reassuring smile.

"You've probably got a concussion from that blow to the face." He shook his head. "You really should have seen a doctor."

"I'll live," she assured him. "I remember having worse head injuries than this before. I think the headache's more from my memories returning than anything."

"Still should be seen by a doctor."

She shook her head, realizing she wasn't going to win that argument. "What will happen to you once this is over?" she asked instead, eager to change the subject.

"Jail, if I'm lucky," he replied. "I can't deny that I wasn't involved in the things Simmons did."

"But you also saved me," she returned. "Surely that counts for something?"

He shrugged. "I guess we'll see." He looked out the windshield and spotted the Sheriff's SUV heading toward them, followed by two other unmarked vehicles. "This is it," he said, reaching for his weapon. "Stay here until I give the okay," he told her.

She took a deep breath, nodding as she let it out. "Okay."

He smiled, reaching over and squeezing her arm. "Almost over now."

She nodded, but couldn't help but wonder if it really was. She wouldn't be safe until Simmons was behind bars. This could only be the beginning of the ordeal she would have to go through.

Sam watched as Diffie walked toward the other vehicles, not looking back at her as he made his way to where the Sheriff and his deputy had stopped. She noticed another four people walk up to them, two men and two women and she wondered who they were. Then she spotted Jack and Daniel and her heart skipped a beat. Jack was staring toward the car, obviously trying to spot her. She was amazed at the intense emotions coursing through her and it took all her willpower to stay put until she was told. At least she knew now why she had felt an instant bond with the man who had turned up on her doorstep and took comfort in knowing that the bond between them had been that strong.

*****

Jack kept glimpsing between the man walking toward them and the Mustang parked a few hundred feet away. He was weary of the man who approached, not knowing what to expect. Could this really be almost over? Or was it a set up, as Hammond had feared.

"Please put your weapon on the ground," Schaefer asked, his own gun drawn.

"I'm Major Diffie," the man told them, raising his hands slightly. "If you don't mind, I'd like to keep hold of my gun. I've had too many people try and kill us today."

"That's not..." Schaeffer started, but Jack interrupted.

"That's fine, but you should realize that any false moves could see you with a bullet hole."

Diffie nodded, keeping his hands in clear view. "Fair enough."

"Is Sam okay?" Daniel asked, looking toward the car. "Why isn't she over here?"

"She's okay. I wanted to make sure it was safe before she got out. I think she's had enough excitement for one day." He turned to Jack then. "I know you wouldn't do anything to endanger her, so if you give the okay I'll get her over here."

"These people won't hurt her," Jack assured him.

Diffie nodded, turning toward the Mustang and waving. A few seconds later the passenger side door opened and out stepped Samantha Carter. She paused for a second before cautiously walking toward the group.

Jack thought it would take an eternity for her to reach them; she seemed to be walking so slowly. He could see the uncertainty in her step and he ached to rush over to her and reassure her, but how would she react to that? Did she even remember that they had been romantically involved?

What happened next would always be a blur for Jack. Diffie had reacted first, drawing his weapon and shouting for Sam to get down. Only after the first shot had rung out did Jack realize they were under attack. He drew his own weapon and headed immediately for Sam.

They were running in all directions, trying to see where the shooting was coming from. "I've got her!" Flint called to Jack. "You take him out!"

Jack saw where she was pointing to, on the roof of one of the old buildings. He tried to block Sam from his mind and focused on the target. He took aim and fired, hitting the assailant. He started to turn to check on Sam when he saw movement out of the corner of his eye. The man he'd hit wasn't dead. The shot sounded and all Jack could do was turn and hope to God it didn't hit its target.

"Sam!" he yelled.

Flint dived for Sam and they both went crashing to the ground.

*****

"Oh, God," Sam gasped, trying to untangle herself from the woman slumped above her.

"Get off the street," the woman rasped. "Hide!"

Sam hesitated, seeing the crimson bloom across the woman's shoulder. "You've been hit!"

"Get out of here!" the woman shouted.

Another shot sounded and Sam did as she was told, sprinting across the street to a shop front. She watched helplessly as more shots rang out, her eyes glued to Jack as if she could will him to stay safe. It was all over in a fury of bullets and in the end three more of Simmons' men had been shot. Jack called for her to stay where she was as he rushed to the woman who had saved her life.

Sam did as she was told, wondering who the woman was that Jack would be so worried about her. Was she his lover? Surely she hadn't expected a man like Jack to wait for her. For all she knew, he'd presumed she was dead.

"We meet again, Major Carter," a voice Sam instantly recognized said from behind her. Before she could turn to see him, Simmons had grabbed her, one arm around her throat and another holding a gun to her head. "You're my ticket out of here," he told her. "But don't think that means I won't shoot you if you don't cooperate."

*****

Flint was on the edge of unconsciousness when Jack reached her. He immediately pressed a hand to the wound on her shoulder and checked to make sure it was the only one. "Hang in there, Flint," he told her. He turned to tell someone to get the paramedics, only to notice their attention was elsewhere.

"Let her go, Simmons!" Schaeffer shouted, his weapon aimed.

"Not a chance," Simmons replied. "If you don't want her death on your hands, you'll let us leave. Now put your guns down!"

Jack turned and saw Simmons was dragging Sam towards the Mustang. She was struggling, trying to pull his hand away from her throat. He saw the gun held against her temple and had to fight the urge to scream. He was not going to lose her now, God dammit!

Simmons grinned toward Jack, tightening his hold on Sam. "Good to see you again, Colonel. How's life at the SGC?"

"You won't get away with this, Simmons," Jack ground out.

"Oh, I beg to differ. Now, put the guns down or she's dead!" Simmons repeated.

"Do as he says," Schaeffer told the others, placing his own weapon on the ground.

Jack reluctantly followed the others, his eyes never leaving Sam's. He tried to tell her with his eyes it would be okay, but he could see she didn't believe him. Then her eyes left his for a second and widened. Jack looked down at Flint just as she pulled the trigger. He looked back up to see Sam deliberately stumble just as the bullet struck Simmons in the chest.

His attention was drawn back to Flint when she gasped, the exertion exacerbating the pain of her injury. "That was a stupid thing to do," Jack admonished, as he noticed the blood flow from her wound had increased.

"I couldn't let it be too late for you too," she told him.

"She'll be okay," Clarke assured him, having rushed to check her colleague. "It went clean through."

"Go to her," Flint told him, looking past him to the woman who was crouched over Simmons. "Just promise you'll be happy." She gasped as Clarke pressed gauze against her wound.

"I'll do my best." He reached out and squeezed her hand. "Thank you."

*****

Sam looked down at the man lying before her, gasping for breath. She had a sudden flash of being strapped to a bed, with him leaning over her, taunting her. She remembered how he'd drugged her so she'd remain compliant, so she'd be an easy subject. She remembered the tests and other indignities she'd faced while being held.

He opened his eyes, seeing her crouching over him. "Help me," he gasped.

"You took my life. You tell me why I should save yours?"

"You won't get away with this," he threatened, but the threat was a weak one given his condition. As Sam watched, he took his final breath. His head lolled to the side, his eyes staying open.

She stared at him, as if afraid he would suddenly come back to life and submit her to more horrors. She flinched as she felt a pair of hands on her shoulders.

"It's okay," Jack murmured. "It's just me."

She rose slowly to her feet and turned toward him. She simply stared at the man before her; like it was the first time she'd seen him. She reacquainted herself with every plane and line on his face. He'd aged, she decided. His hair was grayer and there were a few more lines on his face, but he was still as handsome as she remembered.

"You okay?" he asked, hands reaching out to touch her once more. It was as if he thought she may disappear before him if he didn't have a hand on her. She couldn't say she blamed him, she felt the same.

"I think so," she managed to reply.

"Why don't we get Sam out of here," another voice said, and Sam turned to see Daniel standing beside them.

The words seemed to snap her out of her trance. "I have to get home!" she cried.

"It's okay," Daniel assured her. "There's been police at your house since we discovered you were missing."

"Rick?" she asked, remembering the fear she'd felt when he'd been knocked unconscious.

"He's fine. He had a bump to the head, but that was all. They were only interested in getting you."

"You're sure no one went back to the house?" she double-checked, strangely reluctant to tell them of her son. Most of her memories had returned and she remembered her relationship with Jack. She also remembered just how wrong that relationship had been.

"Positive," Jack assured her. "Come on." He grasped her arm and led her toward the car.

She turned to look at Diffie who didn't seem to know what to do with himself. "Come on," she told him. "You're welcome at my place."

He smiled his thanks, surprised at the forgiveness the woman before him could show him. "I appreciate it," he told her.

Schaefer intercepted them on the way back to the car, just as the ambulance arrived for Flint. "I need to talk to Major's Carter and Diffie at some stage," he told Jack.

Jack nodded, turning to look at Sam before turning back to the agent. "We're going to take her back to her place. I think it would be better done there."

Schaefer nodded his agreement. "I'll stop by after I make sure Flint's okay."

"Give her my best?" Jack asked, before leading Sam to the car.

*****

The car was silent on the trip back to Mayer, none of the occupants able to think of something to say to dispel the awkwardness. They hadn't seen each other for over two years and there was plenty that they wanted to say, but everything seemed either too light or too serious given recent events.

Sam, sick of the tension, finally spoke up. "How did you know Simmons?" she asked, curious.

Jack glanced across at her before turning his eyes back to the road. "He's been to the SGC a few times trying to stir up trouble. I find it amazing that the man could have the nerve to turn up there and act like he had no idea." He shook his head. "I will never understand how someone could be so calculatingly evil."

She shivered as she remembered just how evil the man was. She wasn't ready to discuss her capture and treatment and she was grateful that neither man had brought it up. No doubt the FBI would want every detail, but she knew she wouldn't have to say a word to them. After all, the reasons for her capture were classified, as was every test they performed on her. It was a relief to know that she wouldn't have to relive it all again straight away. She'd already gone through it twice as it was, when she had lived through it and again when her memories had returned. She knew that eventually someone with the proper clearance would ask, but she hoped that wouldn't be until she felt a little more balanced and a little less like she was on the world's biggest roller coaster.

The four passengers were silently relieved to pull up in front of Sam's home. She immediately noted that there were police watching the house and felt a little of the tension ease. It wasn't that she'd thought the guys were lying; she just needed to see for herself.

She got out of the car and hurried up to the front door. Pausing long enough to take a deep breath and ensure the guys were following her, she opened the door and hurried into the house.

"Rick?!" she called anxiously.

"Amanda?!" she heard him call back and he rushed out of the kitchen seconds later. "Thank God! I was so worried about you!" he cried, pulling her into a tight embrace.

"I was worried about you too," she replied, holding him just as tightly.

He stepped back from her so he could look at her carefully. "You okay?" he asked. "You look a little banged up."

Sam nodded, moving back into his embrace. "I'll be okay," she replied, her voice barely above a whisper. "Where's Jake?"

"Having a nap. He'll probably be awake by now. Why don't you take Jack up to meet him?" He smiled at her surprised look. "It's pretty obvious, Ama... Sam."

She smiled at that. "Yeah, I guess it is."

Rick let go of her, kissing her forehead. He turned to the three guys that stood across the room, obviously trying not to intrude on the private moment. "How 'bout I get everyone some coffee?" he asked, moving into the kitchen.

"I'll give you a hand," Diffie said, knowing what was coming next. "Come on, Jackson."

Sam looked around nervously for a moment. "Jack, there's someone I think you should meet," she told him.

He gave her a reassuring smile. "I've already met Rick, Sam."

She gave him a strange look. "Rick? Did you think...? Jack there's nothing going on between Rick and I. He's a housemate and a friend."

Jack's eyebrows got very high as he let out a sigh of relief. "Really? So who do you want me to meet?"

*****

Sam looked a little unsure for a moment, before taking his hand and leading him up the stairs. Jack's breath caught in his throat as he was led into a child's room. He watched in amazement as a small boy rolled over in bed, his eyes lighting up as he spotted Sam. "Mommy!" he cried.

"Hiya, baby. Have you been a good boy?" Sam asked, gathering her son in her arms.

"Yes, Mommy," he replied. He touched her bruised face. "Mommy got boo boo."

"Yeah. Mommy got boo boo."

"Poor Mommy." Jake kissed the bruise. "All better."

"Thank you, baby." As she pulled the infant into a hug, Jake caught sight of Jack.

"Who that, Mommy?" he asked.

Sam turned towards Jack, who was staring at the two of them, tears in his eyes. "That's your daddy, Jake," she whispered, her voice choking.

"Really?" Jack asked, reaching out to touch the little boy's brown hair. "You're sure?"

Sam nodded. "Simmons had me for a month tops. When I was admitted to hospital, I was two months pregnant. That means I conceived before I was taken. There was only one man I was sharing my bed with at that time."

They were both crying as they moved together, lips meeting in a trembling kiss. Jack pulled back, looking down at his son with a sense of awe. "What's his name?"

Sam smiled. "Would you believe Jacob Charles...? Starke. Oh, God, Jack," she gasped, suddenly distressed. "His birth certificate, it says..."

"We'll get it changed, don't worry," he assured her. "But for now, why don't we go and introduce our son to one of his uncles?"

Sam nodded and watched Jack hesitantly reach for his child. Jake was unsure of the person he considered a stranger but at Sam's encouragement he wound his arms around Jack's neck. Jack hugged the boy close, his eyes clamped shut in order to try and stem the emotion he was feeling. This was his son, his and Sam's. The thought almost blew his mind. He pulled back and looked into the innocent face before him. The toddler had his eyes and hair, but Sam's nose and mouth. He was perfect, Jack decided.

"Come on, Jake. Let's go downstairs and I'll introduce you to Uncle Danny."

"Mommy?" the little boy asked looking behind to ensure his mother was still there.

"I'm coming, Jake," she assured him.

********
Epilogue
********

The return to Cheyenne Mountain was difficult for Sam. They headed straight there from the plane, Daniel taking Jake while Sam and Jack went straight to the General's office. She was sure everyone was staring at her as they walked through the corridors; sure she could hear whispers behind her back. What would they whisper about when they found out what she had been through? What would the grapevine say when they heard she'd had Jack's child?

"It'll be okay," Jack told her, seeming to know where her thoughts were headed. She looked across at him and saw his reassuring smile. She only just resisted the urge to reach out and squeeze his hand as they reached the General's office.

Jack paused, his eyes asking her if she was ready. She nodded her reply and waited while he knocked. Her heart skipped a beat when she heard the general grant them entrance.

"Major Carter," Hammond beamed when he spotted her. "Sam. Come in. It's great to see you're okay."

"Thank you, sir," she replied, sitting in the seat he indicated. "It's good to see you as well."

"Have you been checked out in the infirmary yet?" he asked, the concern clear in his voice. The bruise on her cheek was large and dark, rather obvious to anyone who looked at her.

"No, sir," Jack replied on her behalf. "I thought we should check in with you first."

He nodded. "That's fine. Where's Doctor Jackson?"

"He's in the infirmary," Jack replied. "He's not hurt," he hastened to add.

"He's with my child, sir," Sam told him, seeing that Jack wasn't sure how to broach the subject.

"Child?" Hammond repeated, eyes wide.

She nodded. "Yes, sir. His name is Jake, he's two next month."

The General clearly didn't quite know what to say. "Congratulations, Major," he finally settled for.

"Thank you, sir," she returned with a smile.

Jack cleared his throat. "Sir, we need to organize for Jake's birth certificate to be changed to Carter."

"O'Neill," Sam said.

Hammond turned to look at her. "Excuse me, Major?"

"It needs to be changed to O'Neill," she repeated. She turned to look at Jack. "I'm not going to deny you your son, Jack."

"Sam..."

She held up a hand to stop whatever he was about to say. "I've made my decision. You've missed out on two years of his life already. You deserve to know him and he deserves to have a father." She looked to Hammond. "I'll resign my commission, whatever it takes, sir. I want my son and his father to be together."

Jack shook his head, agitated. "Carter, you cannot do this! You're giving up your career, the thing you love more than anything."

"Not anymore," she replied, voice calm and eyes pleading with him to understand. "I haven't been a major for over two years. I've been a science teacher and I've been a mother. My son has to come first now."

Hammond cleared his throat, wondering if they'd forgotten his presence. They turned to look at him and both flushed a little as they realized he now knew that they had been in a relationship.

"Sir," Jack spoke, before the General could. "This is what I'd wanted to talk to you about before Carter was taken. I'd wanted to ask for your help. When she'd been taken, I thought it best not to say anything."

Hammond remembered that night. Jack had come to talk to him at a bad time and he had insisted that he return the next morning. Of course that had never happened because they had discovered Sam missing that very night.

Hammond's mind was a myriad of thoughts and emotions. The general in him wanted them up on charges immediately for breaking regulations, whereas the father in him wanted to wish them his best and help them in anyway he could. He couldn't do both and he wondered if it was even possible to help them without throwing his own career down the toilet. Then he remembered what he'd told the Colonel when he'd risked his own career to get his position as Commander of the SGC back without endangering his family.

"I told you once, Jack, that I owed you and this seems like the perfect way to repay you." He got to his feet. "Let me see what I can do. In the mean time, why don't you go home? You both look like you could do with a good night's sleep."

Jack got to his feet and held out his hand. "Thank you, sir. I can't begin to say how much this means to me."

"To both of us," Sam added, moving around the desk and throwing her arms around her commanding officer.

Hammond stiffened for a moment at her uncharacteristic behavior, then relaxed wrapping his arms around him and allowing the relief to wash over him. She was back, he believed that now, and he would ensure she stayed where she belonged.

She finally released him, wiping her eyes and apologizing for her actions. "Not much of a soldier now, am I?" she laughed.

Hammond smiled. "From recent events, I think it's safe to say you've still got it, Sam. Welcome home." He saw more tears well in her eyes and chuckled, placing an arm around her shoulders. "Come on. Take me to meet this little boy of yours."

Sam grinned. "Yes, sir."

*****

When they made it to the infirmary they found Jake and Daniel playing on one of the beds. Sam smiled when she spotted them. "Are you being a good boy?" she asked her son.

"Mommy!" he cried, reaching out for her.

Sam picked him up and turned to Hammond. "Sir, this is Jake. Jake, honey, this is General Hammond."

"You look like your mommy and Daddy, don't you?" Hammond cooed.

Sam smiled, nodding her agreement, before looking around the infirmary. "Where's Janet?" she asked.

"Ah, she's at home," Daniel replied. "She's not allowed to drive at the moment."

Sam looked startled. "Why? What happened?"

"She's okay," Daniel hastened to assure her. "Just... pregnant."

"She's what?!" She looked down at Daniel's hand, noticing for the first time the gold band on his finger. "Oh my god! You and Janet..."

"Yeah," Jack confirmed. "The Doc and Daniel got hitched last year. She hasn't had the world's easiest pregnancy and the only way we could get her to take it easy was to ban her from driving."

Sam smiled, reaching out to hug Daniel. "Congratulations, Daniel."

"Thanks, Sam. She's going to be so happy to see you."

"It'll be great to see her too." She pulled back from him. "What about Teal'c? Where is he?"

"I am right here, Major Carter," a deep voice sounded from the door.

They all turned to see Teal'c standing there, a smile on his face. He strode over to Sam and pulled her into a hug. "We all held great fears for your safety. I am pleased to see you alive and well."

"It's so good to see you too, Teal'c," she replied. She pulled back, wiping at her eyes. "Sorry, I guess there's still some of 'Amanda' left in me."

She turned back to where Jake was sitting on the bed, looking with fascination at Teal'c. "Teal'c, this is Jake. Honey, this is Teal'c." She lifted him up and stood beside the Jaffa. Jake reached out and touched Teal'c's tattoo, a look of enthrallment on his face.

"Hello, Jake," Teal'c softly greeted. "I am pleased to meet you."

Jake giggled and shyly snuggled into his mother's neck. He peaked out, before giggling and hiding once more.

"You have a fine son, O'Neill," Teal'c stated, turning to Jack.

Jack grinned. "Thanks, T. but I can't take any credit."

"Your blood courses within his veins. He shall grow to have your strength and his mother's intelligence."

"Let's just hope he hasn't inherited my brains," Jack joked.

Daniel chuckled and looked at his watch. "I better go and pick Janet up. Meet you at your place?" he asked Jack.

"Uh." Jack looked over at Sam, unsure. He didn't want to just assume she was going home with him, but he hoped she would. "You and Jake are welcome to stay at mine."

Sam chewed her bottom lip, unsure. "I don't really have anywhere to go," she admitted.

"I'd like it if you did," Jack told her. "So I can get to know Jake," he quickly added, not wanting to pressure her. They hadn't really spoken about their relationship and Jack wasn't naive enough to just expect things to go back to the way they were. Too much had happened since then.

"Okay," she relented. "At least until I get back on my feet."

Jack nodded, realizing she was leaving it open to leave if she felt the need. He could handle that, he decided. He'd just have to make sure he didn't give her reason to.

"You wanna come, Teal'c?" he asked his friend.

"I regret that I cannot. Master Bra'tac and I must brief General Hammond as a matter of urgency."

"Nothing bad, I hope?"

"It is in fact good news, O'Neill, but you should not concern yourself with it. You must take your family home."

Jack smiled, turning to look at Sam and Jake. His family. He liked the sound of that.

*****

Janet was in tears almost the moment she entered Jack's house. "Sam!" she cried, rushing to hug her friend.

"Hey, Janet," Sam replied, voice cracking. She stepped back and took a good look at her friend. "You look fantastic!"

Janet groaned, rubbing a hand over her pregnant bump. "I look fat," she groused.

"You do not," Daniel insisted, reaching out to grasp her arm. "But you do need to sit down."

Janet waved him away and turned back to her best friend. "I can't believe you're really here! You look great!" She ran a hand through her friend's hair, which was longer than when she'd last seen her. "You're really here, aren't you?"

Sam gave a tremulous smile and hugged her friend again. "I'm here, Janet. I promise." She pulled back again, smiling brightly. "Come on. You better sit down before your husband has heart failure."

They'd just walked over to the sofa and sat down when Jack entered the room with Jake. "Clean, Mommy!" the little boy cried.

Sam smiled as Jack put his son down and the toddler ran over to his mother. He climbed up on Sam's lap and then turned to Janet. "I had bath," he said, matter of fact.

Janet's eyes almost popped out of her head. "Who's this?" she asked.

Sam looked at Daniel with a disapproving glare. "You should have warned her, Daniel."

"I'm Jake," the little boy said.

"Hi, Jake," Janet greeted. "I'm Janet." She looked from Jake to Jack and back again, but seemed reluctant to bring up the obvious resemblance.

"He looks like his father, don't you think?" Sam asked, saving her the trouble.

Janet smiled wider, her relief obvious. "Yeah, he does," she agreed.

Daniel was also grinning like an idiot. "We should leave you to get settled in," he told them, moving to help Janet to her feet. "Give us a call when you are and you can come over for dinner. Cassie will be thrilled to see you."

"How is she?" Sam asked, wondering what she had missed in the teenager's life since she'd been gone.

"Doing great," Janet replied. "Topping her class, dating boys that her father's threatening to shoot. The usual teenage things, I guess."

"We'll see you soon," Daniel promised, pulling Sam into an impromptu hug.

"Bye, guys," Jack said, closing the door behind them. He turned to see Sam was still smiling.

"Does Cassie call Daniel 'Dad'?" she asked.

"Yeah," he replied. "Ever since Daniel moved in with them."

"I'm glad they're so happy." She smiled down at the child in her arms. She could see his eyelids drooping, obviously tired from the trip. "I think it's your bedtime, little man," she told him.

"Daddy take me," Jake insisted, reaching for Jack.

Both adults were a little choked at that. Sam handed her son over with a tremulous smile. "There you go, Daddy."

Jack smiled at her and took his son down the hall to the newly appointed nursery. It was plain at the moment, but Jack had big plans for turning it into something great. For now, it just had the newly erected bed in the corner and boxes full of clothes and toys stacked in another.

"Goodnight, Jake," Jack whispered, tucking the toddler in. He simply stood there for a while, just staring. He didn't realize that Sam had followed him until he felt a hand on his arm.

"Okay?" she asked.

"Just trying to believe this is real," he whispered.

"It's real," she assured him.

He smiled, reaching out and pulling her into his strong embrace. "I hope you decide to stay here," he told her. "I don't want you to ever leave."

She nodded against his chest, drinking in the feel and smell of him. "Do you really think we can do this?" she asked.

He pulled back from her so he could look at her properly. "What do you mean?"

"I've been through a lot over the last two years. I've changed."

"I know," he agreed. "So have I, but I still love you, Sam, and if you still love me then everything else is details." He smiled, reaching out and stroking her cheek. "I want to be a family. You, me and Jake."

Her smile was tremulous. "I want that too." She reached up and grasped his hand, moving to kiss his fingers. "I wish you hadn't missed so much of his life."

He nodded. "Me too, but I don't plan on missing any more."

"I'm glad." She sighed, leaning into his chest and relishing the feel of his arms around her. "Even when I had no idea who I was, I always had the feeling that someone was missing from my life. When you showed up on my doorstep, I felt an immediate connection to you. I guess that just shows that what we have goes so deep that nothing can remove it, even if everything else is gone."

Jack ran a hand up her back in a soothing gesture. "Daniel was trying to get me to move on, but I couldn't. Somewhere deep inside I just knew that you weren't dead. I couldn't explain it but you didn't feel dead." He shook his head and gave a snort. "That sounds stupid, doesn't it?"

"No," she assured him. "I think it sounds nice, like we're connected in some way."

He looked over to where the toddler slumbered, his face clearly showing his amazement at being a father again. "Now we're connected in another way," he murmured.

Sam tore her eyes away from his face to look at her son. Yes, they were connected in another way. She knew it would be hard for her to adjust back to the life she'd known before she'd been taken, but she would adjust and she would have her lover and son to help her. She wouldn't want it any other way.

"Let's go to bed, Jack," she told him.

"I'm right behind you, baby," he told her, watching as she headed to the door. He turned back to the bed, walking over and pulling the covers over his son's shoulders. "Goodnight, Buddy," he whispered, bending down and kissing Jake's forehead. He watched the child sleep for a few moments longer before finally turning to leave. He started slightly when he realized Sam was still there.

She reached out a hand to him, which he gladly accepted. "I want you to take me to bed," she told him.

He smiled, pulling her closer and finally giving into the temptation he'd had since first laying eyes on her two days earlier. His lips tentatively touched hers, before their movements became more certain. By the time they pulled apart, both were breathing hard. "I love you," he told her.

She smiled, reaching out a hand to cup his cheek. "I love you too."

Jack smiled back at her and led her down the hall to his room, closing the door behind them.

THE END