samandjack.net

Story Notes: Whisper – Spoilers: Solitudes

Copyright © 2003 Ruth


Whisper – Jack


**********

I feel guilty – just laying here like a doll while Carter's working her fingers down to the bone trying to get the DHD to work. She's been trying for hours, and I can see her breaking down.

It's happening slowly, and I can tell that she won't admit it to me, but she's tired. She's cold, wet and hungry, and worried about me.

I'm an old, grumpy Colonel with a dodgy knee and she's stressing about saving me. I watch her now as she fights with the large pieces of ice, her small frame not quite a match for it. She'd kick my ass if I said that to her.

It'd be nice to see her mad at me again – back at the SGC, in the warm.

Her shoulders are slumped and she's making her way back towards me.

"I'm sorry," she whispers, broken.

I just want to pull her into my arms and hug her, but to be honest the pain would kill me! Instead, I put on my brave soldier act and try to hide the fact that I'm dying. Slowly, and painfully.

But she knows.

As I'm sitting here, a dreadful pain builds up in my chest. I try to hide it from her but she's noticed.

Those blue eyes of hers are close to tears, and I wish I hadn't got on at her so badly for splinting my leg. She was only trying to help, of course.

It's then that I give her the order - go on without me. She's shocked and afraid, but I know she can do it.

As I watch her slowly disappear up the cavern wall, I feel empty. I know she's my 2IC, my officer, but she's my friend. And I'm feeling about her a way I haven't felt since I met Sara.

She's so strong, smart and funny. She's the best second-in-command I've had. Sure, Kawalsky was a laugh, and there was the added bonus that I couldn't fall in love with him, but she's different.

I just felt a kind of spark when I met her for the first time.

She's long gone now. The pain in my chest worsens, and I slowly reach for the radio.

"Carter?"

"Yes, sir?"

My aching lungs manage to whisper to her, one last time.

"It was an honor serving with you."

THE END