samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: arla@telusplanet.net

Rating: PG-13

Classification: S/J Romance, Hurt/Comfort, angst

Spoilers: Tok'ra part 2

Disclaimer: All within, except the ideas, belong to Gekko, Double Secret, etc. The lyrics Are from "If You Leave Me Now" by Chicago

Summary: An accident causes Jack to realize just how much Sam means to him. Will he Get the chance to tell her?

Note: Muchas kudos to my beta reader Miki. Thanks for all your help. :0)


***************

Don't go, please don't go

If you leave me now
You'll take away the biggest part of me
Oh no baby, please don't go

If you leave me now
You'll take away the very heart of me
Oh no baby, please don't go

**********************************



Sam Carter waved to Janet Fraser and Janet's fiancee as she slipped behind the wheel of her car and started the engine. Lord she was tired. As Sam drove away she thought about the reason for her tiredness. It had been a long day at work and then Janet had asked her to join her, Cassie and Janet's fiancee for dinner and a video. Sam had agreed and had really enjoyed the time spent with her friend and by the time she had finally left it had been nearly midnight. Now all Sam wanted to do was go home and take a hot bath and then climb into bed and collapse.

The traffic light ahead of Sam switched from red to green as she approached and she continued through the intersection. She never even saw the sports utility vehicle that ran the red light, sailing into the intersection. It slammed into Sam's passenger side with horrific force. The impact snapped the seat belt tight against her body and there was a loud snapping sound as her collarbone broke. Sam's head snapped sideways to hit the window with a sickening crunch and she knew no more.



**************



The insistent ringing of the telephone pushed into Jack's dream and kept on until he could ignore it no longer. With a groan of protest he opened his eyes and rolled over, snatching the receiver from its cradle.

"O'Neill." he snapped irritably

"Colonel O'Neill, this is Detective Reynolds with the Colorado Springs Police Department." the voice on the other end spoke.

Jack felt an uneasy fluttering settle in the pit of his stomach as he threw back the covers and sat up. "Yes Officer, what is it?"

"There's been an accident and the victim had you down as the person to notify in case of an emergency."

The fluttering in Jack's stomach grew worse as he asked. "Who is it?"

His worst fears were confirmed when the officer replied. "Captain Samantha Carter, USAF"

/Sam! No, not my Sam!/ Jack's mind screamed. "What happened?" he managed to choke out.

"It was a car accident. She was hit by a drunk driver and has been taken to Memorial Hospital. And Colonel I have to warn you that it doesn't look good for her."

"I'm on my way!" Jack barked as he hung up the phone and flew from the bed. He pulled on his jeans and a T-shirt, slipping his bare feet into a pair of loafers as he rushed from the bedroom. Jack ran from the house, grabbing his car keys and cell phone from the table inside the door as he passed.

He peeled out of the driveway and as he pulled away, Jack turned on his phone and called both Janet and General Hammond.

Several minutes later he squealed to a stop at the Emergency entrance, flying from the car and didn't stop running until he had reached the nurse's station inside.

"Yes?" the nurse asked without looking up.

"I was informed that Samantha Carter was brought here. Could you tell me how she is?"

"I'm sorry, sir but we can't give out any information to anyone but family."

"I'm her fiancee." Jack blurted out and didn't even feel sorry for the lie.

"Alright, Mr...?"

"O'Neill, Jack O'Neill."

The nurse got up and moved around the desk. "The doctors are still working with her and we've been trying to reach her next of kin to sign some consent forms."

"Her father is out of the country and can't be reached. Can I sign them?"

At that moment a doctor rushed from the treatment room directly in front of them. "Sally, we need to take Ms. Carter into surgery. Did you get someone to sign those forms?"

"This is Jack O'Neill, her fiancee."

"Can I sign them?" Jack asked the doctor quietly and he nodded. The nurse passed Jack a clipboard and he quickly added his signature to the attached forms. Once he had finished he passed the clipboard to the nurse and then turned back to the doctor.

"How is she, really?"

"Not good. Your fiancee has multiple lacerations and contusions on her arms and legs, as well as a deep laceration to the forehead. Her right clavicle is fractured. She's suffered multiple internal injuries. We need to operate immediately to repair the damage and stop the bleeding. Your fiancee was lucky, very lucky. If she hadn't been wearing her seat belt, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. You'd be down at the morgue."

"Colonel O'Neill?"

Jack turned at the sound of Janet's voice. The woman crossed quickly to Jack and gave him a nod before turning to the ER doctor.

"I'm Janet Fraser, Sam's doctor."

"Doctor Billings." the young man said as the two shook hands.

"What's Sam's condition?" Janet asked quietly. Billings reached out to take Janet's arm and pulled her to the side where they spoke quietly for several minutes. Once Dr. Billings had stepped back inside the treatment room, Janet returned to Jack's side.

"I'm going to assist Dr. Billings with Sam's surgery. I'll be out to see you just as soon as I have any news." she told him then grasped his arm lightly. "I know it's not easy, but try not to worry."

"Can't do that Doc." Jack told her quietly. "I won't stop worrying until I know that she's gonna be alright." he admitted softly.

Janet merely nodded, knowing that his feelings for Carter ran deeper than he wanted to admit.



**************



The treatment room door opened and Sam was wheeled out and the quick glimpse that Jack got filled him with icy fear. She was pale and still... so very still. Janet gave his arm a reassuring squeeze before she moved away and followed the trauma team.

With nothing to do but wait, Jack crossed to the small sitting area. It was only a few minutes later when he saw Daniel and Hammond enter the hospital. Daniel spotted Jack and immediately crossed to the waiting room.

"Jack, how is she?" the younger man asked, concern was deeply etched on his face.

"She's in surgery. Janet's in there with her." he told them numbly.

"Captain Carter is strong and a fighter. She'll be alright." the General stated reassuringly.

"I hope so, sir. I truly hope so." Jack replied and crossed the small space to resume his seat. Daniel and Hammond moved to the chairs on either side of O'Neill and the three began the long vigil of waiting.



**************



It was nearly two hours later when Jack saw Janet coming down the hall. He stood and waited for the doctor to reach them.

"Doc?" he questioned, trying to keep the fear from his voice.

"She came through the surgery alright. It was a monstrous hemorrhage but we were finally able to stop it by removing her spleen. She also suffered some broken ribs and one of them punctured her right lung. She's stable and they'll be moving her back into the observation room down her before transferring her to the ICU."

"Will she be alright?" Daniel asked the question that Jack seemed afraid to ask.

"She's not out of the woods yet and has a long way to go. If she makes it through the next several hours then the chances are good that she'll make a full recovery. But I can't promise anything. A lot of this depends on her and how much she's willing to fight. I need to get back but I will let you know just as soon as you can see her." Janet finished.

"Thank you Doctor." Hammond stated and watched as the woman disappeared before he turned to Daniel.

"Why don't we return to the base and try to locate Captain Carter's father. Jacob should be here."

"Yes sir." Daniel nodded and then turned to Jack. "I'll be back as soon as I can." Jackson told the older man and Jack nodded watching as the two turned and left the hospital.



*************



Sam had been moved into the observation room but Jack had not been allowed to go in to see her yet. He stood in front of the glass window and looked into the room. The sight of Sam in that hospital bed filled him with a sorrow that he had not felt since Charlie had been taken from him. She looked so small in that large hospital bed. So small and pale. The white bandage that covered the wound in her forehead was a stark contrast to the paleness of her skin. She hadn't moved since they had wheeled her into the room and the only sign that she was actually alive came from the soft beeping of the heart monitor. Jack leaned forward and rested his forehead against the cool glass. He closed his eyes and was unable, and unwilling to stop the tears that rolled down his cheeks. For the first time in a very long time Jack found himself praying. "Please God, don't take my Sam." he pleaded.



**************



Sometime later Jack got up from his chair and crossed to the vending machine to get a cup of coffee. As he turned from the machine and returned to the chair in front of the observation window he saw two police officers walking with an slightly injured man between them. The red haze of rage filled his eyes when Jack realized that this was the other driver and before anyone could react he was charging down the hall and grabbed the man by the arm. "It's your fault!!" he bellowed as he dragged the man over to the window. "Look what you did!" he screamed as he pushed the man's head to the glass. "Look what you did to my Sam!"

Suddenly Jack was seized by strong arms and hauled away.

"I'm sorry," the young man, who couldn't have been any older than 18, sobbed.

"Sorry's not going to help her. If she dies I'll see that you rot in hell!" Jack spat out.

"Get him out of here!" the police officer told his partner and indicated the young man still standing in front of the window.

Jack shrugged off the restraining arms and stalked over to the waiting room. He flopped down into the sofa . Bending over, he placed his head in his hands. Several minutes later he felt a gentle hand on his shoulder. He looked up to see Janet standing over him.

"Nice job Colonel," she quipped, but her voice held no malice. "I thought for a moment you were going to put his head right through that glass."

"Believe me, I wanted to. How's Sam?"

"Stable. I came to tell you that they're moving her to the ICU and as soon as she is settled you can go in and see her."

"Thanks Doc." Jack said as he stood up. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw two nurses push Sam's bed out of the room and to the elevator. When Jack moved to follow, the Doctor stopped him.

"Ah Colonel, one more thing."

"What?"

"Sam didn't wake up from the anesthesia. Sir, she's in a coma." Fraser told him and watched as the color drained from his face.

"Will... will she come out of it?"

"At this point it's hard to tell. Coma's are funny things, she may wake up tomorrow or..."

"She may never wake up. Is that what you are trying to tell me?"

"Yes, that is a possibility that we have to prepare for."

Jack slowly approached Sam's bed and fought down a wave of dread as he looked down at her. He pulled up a chair and sat beside her. On impulse he reached beneath the covers and pulled out her hand, pulling it close to his chest then leaned back and waited.

It was sometime later when Janet quietly approached and checked the delicate monitoring equipment. When she was done she turned to him and flashed a smile. "You know, Colonel, you can talk to her. Sam will hear you." Fraser stated softly before slipping away from the bed.

When the doctor had gone, Jack turned back to Sam. He pulled the hand he still held to his lips and brushed his lips across her fingers.

"Sam, I don't know if you can hear me. Janet says that you can so just incase she is right I have some things that I need to say. I have to say them now, before it's too late. I love you Sam. I have from the very first moment you walked into the briefing room and challenged me across the table." Jack said with a soft reminiscent smile. "I couldn't admit my feelings, not even to myself. I didn't want to love you Sam. I didn't want love anyone ever again. After Charlie... I went dead inside but you... you breezed into my life and changed it. You changed me forever Sam and I need you, more than you could ever know. I want to spend the rest of my life loving you Sam." Jack rose from his chair and leaned over her. He tenderly brushed back her hair, being careful to avoid the bandage, and pressed his lips to her forehead. "Please don't leave me Sam. Don't leave me alone again. Come back to me." he whispered, his voice thick with tears and one salty drop rolled down his cheek and dropped to her forehead.



***************



"Chevron 7 encoded." the tech called out and the Stargate sprang to life as the wormhole appeared.

"Good luck, Doctor Jackson." General Hammond called as Daniel and Teal'c stepped up the the gate and disappeared.

Daniel and Teal'c were spit out of the gate on the other end and once his dulled senses had returned, Daniel pulled himself up from the floor. He stood and faced the Tok'ra that was waiting.

"Please I must speak with Jacob Carter. The one you know as Selmak. Please it is urgent."

"Follow me." the Tok'ra stated and turned away.

Daniel and Teal'c followed the guard to a large room where Selmak was consulting with several other Tok'ra.

"Daniel Jackson, why are you here?" Selmak asked in the distinctive Tok'ra voice.

"I have come to speak with Jacob Carter. Please you must come back to Earth with me. There's been a terrible accident and Sam was hurt. Very badly hurt."

"My Sammy?" Jake said softly "I will come." he added and followed Daniel and Teal'c to the gate room.



**************



Several minutes later they came through the gate at the other end and General Hammond was waiting for them. "Welcome back Jake" Hammond said as he took his friend's hand "I only wish it were under better circumstances. I have a change of clothes for you and Doctor Jackson will take you to the hospital."

"Thank you." Carter said quietly then followed the two men out of the gate room.



**************



Carter was quiet on the way to the hospital and it wasn't until Jackson touched him on the shoulder that he realized that they had arrived. They entered the hospital and headed up to the ICU. Daniel stayed outside talking to Janet while Jake moved to Sam's room and stepped inside.

Jack was asleep with his head resting on the bed near Sam's hand. Jake stepped quietly to Jack and rested a hand on his shoulder. Jack started and woke, looking up at the man who stood beside him.

"Sir," he said and rose from the chair.

"How's my daughter?"

"Better, Janet says that her vital signs are stronger this morning but she still hasn't woken up."

Jake nodded and crossed to the other side of the bed. He leaned down to press a kiss to his daughter's forehead. "Daddy's here Sammy-girl." he murmured then stood up and looked across the bed at Jack.

"I'm sorry." Jack told the older man quietly.

"What for?"

"I promised you when you left that I would take care of her and I've failed."

"No you haven't. This was an accident. There was nothing that you could have done."

The older man looked at Jack and whether it was due to Selmak inside him or whether Jack's emotions were clearly readable on his face, Jack wasn't sure but was surprised when Jacob said.

"You love Sammy." It was a statement, not a question.

"More than my own life." Jack responded softly.

"Then that is all that matters."

"But I couldn't protect her from this..."

"You can't protect her every waking moment, but when you can I know that you will do so even if it means the loss of your own life and that is enough." Sam's father stated softly.

"But..." Jack's voice trailed off when a tired but very welcome voice sounded in the room.

"If you two don't stop I'm going to have Janet throw you both out!"

Both men turned and looked down at a now conscious Sam.

"Hi Daddy." she smiled as her father leaned down to press a kiss to her forehead.

"Hiya Sammy." he responded with a smile. "Now that I know you're alright I'm going to go and talk with your Doctor. Be right back." Jake said as he pressed another kiss to Sam's forehead and stepped back from the bed.

He was gone from the room before anyone could say another word. Sam turned her head on the pillow and looked up at Jack. "Hi." she smiled.

"Hi yourself." he replied as he leaned over her. "How are you feeling?"

"Tired, sore and my head hurts like a son of a bitch." she groused.

Jack chuckled. "Well that's what happens when you try to have a knock down drag out fight with your car window."

"Ooh don't make me laugh." she groaned then turned serious eyes on him. She studied his features, her eyes traveling over every detail.

"I heard you Jack." she told him softly and O'Neill didn't have to ask what. "Did you mean it?"

"Every word." he said in a gentle whisper as he leaned down to tenderly brush back her hair. "I'm just sorry that it took me so long and that it took something like this to make me admit it. I thought I was going to lose you Sam and I couldn't go through that again." he admitted softly.

Sam gave him a soft smile and reached up to caress his cheek. "I love you Jack." she told him and he turned his head to press his lips to the center of her palm.

"Well look at you?" Janet smiled as she stepped into the room followed by Daniel and Jake.

"You certainly look better than you did last night." the doctor smiled as she approached the bed and looked down at her friend. "You had us all worried."

"Sorry." Sam apologized and then turned to look at Daniel. "Hi"

"Hi Sam, I'm glad you're better" he told her quietly.

Janet turned to look at the trio and told them in her best no-nonsense doctor voice.

"Now I hate to break up this reunion but all of you need to scat and let my patient rest. You can come back later." she ordered and they meekly obeyed.

Jake stepped up to the bed and gave Sam a quick kiss. "I'll see you later sweetheart." he told her and then added. "Selmak wants me to tell you that she's happy you are better."

"Tell Selmak, thank you." Sam responded and her father nodded before he stepped back from the bed. He turned to blow her a kiss before crossing to the door. Daniel waved to her as he followed Jake out and then Sam turned her head on the pillow to look at Jack.

"I'm going to go home for a bit but I'll be back again later." he told her quietly then even though Janet still stood nearby, leaned down and placed a gentle kiss on Sam's lips. "See you later." he murmured softly then slipped from the room.

Janet smiled and turned back to her friend. "You know, from the time he found out what happened he hasn't left your side. That man really loves you." Janet said as she reached out to take Sam's wrist between her fingers and take her pulse.

"I know." Sam replied softly.

"Get some rest Sam." Janet said when she was done.

"Thanks Janet." Sam replied then watched as her friend slipped quietly from the room. Sam closed her eyes and slipped quickly into a deep, healing sleep.



**************



It was nearly a week later when Sam was well enough to go home. She returned to the SGC to see her father as he returned through the Stargate. "Bye, sweetheart." Jacob told his daughter as he gave her a gentle hug.

"Bye Daddy." Sam smiled and gave him a quick kiss.

Jake pulled away and said goodbye to Hammond and then turned to Jack. The two men shook hands and then Jake spoke to the younger man in a quiet voice so as not to be heard by the others. "You take care of my girl now." he said with a smile

"I promise." Jack returned the smile.

"Good." the elder Carter nodded and then with one final wave to the group he turned and stepped through the active Stargate.

Sam gave a sigh as she watched her father disappear once again. Jack turned to face her and shared a knowing look.

"Time to get you home." he told her quietly "Janet told you to rest for at least another week and I'm going to see that you follow her orders to the letter."

"And how do you intend to do that?" Sam asked as he led her from the gate room.

"I've taken the week off and I'm gonna see to it personally that you rest."

"Personally? Does this mean that you'll be resting with me?" Sam asked playfully.

Jack chuckled. He could see now that life with Sam certainly would be full of surprises. "I don't think you're quite ready for that yet. You just got out of the hospital."

"You'd be surprised." Sam quipped as they reached the elevator.

"Well maybe if you're good. I'll think about it." Jack said as they stepped inside.

"Promises, promises." Sam quipped playfully as the doors closed.



~ Fin ~