samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: wendyparkinson@hotmail.com

Category: Challenge Response

Spoilers: None

Season/Sequel info: Second Season, after Message in a Bottle

Rating: PG

Content Warnings: None

Summary: Sam is trying to avoid someone

Archive: "Heliopolis" and "Sam and Jack"

Date: 28/3/99

Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters belong to MGM, Gekko Corp and Double Secret Productions. This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it. Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended. Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental.

All feedback and constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated. No flames please.


TRUST ME



I was rushing down the corridor, desperately hoping I'd given him the slip. Where could I hide? Janet! Janet would hide me. I rounded the corner, darted into the infirmary and flattened myself against the wall behind the door. Closing my eyes, I sighed with relief. Slowly looking up, I found myself staring at my commanding officer. He was standing in the middle of the room watching me with obvious amusement. Ever wish that the earth would open up and swallow you?

Straightening myself up, I forced a bright smile and tried to brazen it out. "I'm looking for Dr. Frasier, Sir. Have you seen her?"

His eyebrows lifted fractionally, I didn't think he was buying it. "I asked her for some files. She'll be back in a few minutes."

I decided that this would be a good time to leave. "Well, I'll be going then."

As I turned to go, the Colonel took a couple of steps towards me and rested his hand on the door frame, blocking my escape. "What are you doing hiding in here, Carter? And make it the truth this time, please."

My brain raced, trying to come up with a plausible explanation for ducking into the infirmary like the hounds of hell were after me. I know I'm an intelligent, well educated woman but that's one to stretch the most creative imagination. I just stood there looking blank.

"Well?"

He wasn't going to let this drop. I'm a rotten liar anyway, I might as well get this over with and tell him the truth. I shuddered in anticipation, I was never going to hear the last of this.

"I'm trying to avoid Lieutenant Simmons," I said weakly.

Colonel O'Neill's eyebrows went up a little further. "You're a Gulf War veteran, you've fought the Goa'uld hand to hand and you're hiding in the infirmary so you don't run into Graham Simmons?"

The way he said it it sounded ridiculous. Actually, it was ridiculous, come to think. He was still looking expectantly at me. I ploughed on. "He keeps asking me out. He won't take no for an answer and I don't want to hurt his feelings."

At this point I could swear that the Colonel almost laughed. When I looked at him suspiciously, he tried to appear sympathetic but missed by a mile. I could see the amusement in his eyes. "Why didn't you tell him you had a boyfriend?"

"Wish I had. But by the time I'd thought of that, I'd already admitted I wasn't seeing anyone."

In a rare display of friendliness, he put his arm round me. What had got into him? He almost never touched anyone. I found myself staring, transfixed, at the hand resting on my shoulder. "I think I can help. Leave it to me, Carter," he said, smiling at me.

Oh hell, what was he going to do? He's never been renowned for being in touch with his sensitive side. Was he just going to order Graham to leave me alone?

"Sir, I really don't think..."

I was cut off by voices drifting down the corridor.

"Dr. Jackson, have you seen Captain Carter?"

"No, Lieutenant Simmons. Perhaps Dr. Frasier knows where she is."

Panic was beginning to set in. I glanced up at Colonel O'Neill who grinned at me and whispered, "Trust me."

Normally, I'd trust him with my life but at that moment I trusted him just about as far as I could throw him. What had he got in mind?

What he did next shocked me to the core. As we heard Daniel and Graham's footsteps approaching down the corridor, the Colonel pulled me towards him and kissed me. Not a chaste, brotherly, commanding officer type of kiss but an open-mouthed, passionate, heated kiss that made my heart do a back-flip, my toes curl up and my knees go weak. I felt it everywhere. Holy Hannah, that man has hidden talents.

From my position in Jack's arms (my body had now decided we were on first name terms) I couldn't see the door but I heard the footsteps come to a stop. Then a strangled gasp from Graham and a "Ahem, are we interrupting something?" from Daniel.

Jack slowly broke off the kiss. As my mind began to fumble its way back to some kind of coherent thought I was aware of him speaking to Graham.

"... so you see, we wanted to keep it quiet. I'm sure you understand. You'll respect our wishes on this, won't you Lieutenant?"

"Yes, Sir. If you'll excuse me, Sir?"

"Dismissed."

As Graham left the room, I slowly turned round to face Daniel. His expression was a carbon copy of the one Jack had worn when I first ran into the infirmary. He was about to say something when Janet walked in.

"The files you asked for..."

Her voice ground to a halt as she took in our expressions - Daniel's "amusement", Jack's "cat who got the cream" and my "stunned". I saw her eyes drawn to the arm Jack still had draped over my shoulder.

Jack broke the silence. "Thank you, Doctor." Turning to me, he added, "You can thank me later, Captain." He gave me a quick squeeze, took the files from Janet and left the room.

Janet and Daniel both swivelled round to face me.

"What did I miss? You have got to tell me what just happened here," the Doctor demanded.

"Oh yes," added Daniel, "do tell."

Could today possibly get any more embarrassing?



The End