samandjack.net

Story Notes: e-mail: arla@telusplanet.net

Rating: PG (maybe PG-13)

Classification: Jack/Sam Romance

Spoilers: None

Summary: A Christmas Angel grants the SG1 team their fondest wishes.

Archive: Sam and Jack Fanfic Archive

Disclaimer: These characters are not mine they belong to MGM, Gekko, and Double Secret. I am only playing in the SG1 sandbox for a little while and will return the characters (relatively) undamaged when I am done. The character of Tess belongs to "Touched By An Angel" and Martha Williamson

Authors Notes: The song lyrics are by Alabama, from a song of the same name. Although I have written fanfic for other shows this is my first attempt at Sam and Jack fanfic. I hope you enjoy it. This started out as an entry for the Christmas challenge but since the real world (and school work) intruded I haven't been able to finish this until now. A special thanks goes out to my beta-readers, thanks a bunch, I couldn't have done this without you.


I believe there are angels among us
Sent down to us from somewhere up above
They come to you and me in our darkest hours
To show us how to live, to teach us how to give
To guide us with the light of love



"See you tonight." Doctor Janet Fraser told her friend, Captain Samantha Carter as she headed for the locker room door. Fraser turned back in the doorway. "Oh, and don't forget to wear something slinky and sexy tonight." Janet teased Sam and then disappeared from the smelly room.

"Yah, like anyone would notice." Carter muttered as she slammed the metal door of her locker and followed her friend into the hallway.



****



Twenty minutes later, on the other side of the city from where Sam was trying to decide what to wear, Colonel Jack O'Neill slipped on the jacket of his dress uniform. He buttoned up the stiff material, grimacing as the wool began to itch. Jack looked into the mirror, it did make him look pretty sharp, he puffed up his chest and slung back his shoulders. Not bad, not bad at all.

Remembering what he was getting ready for he grumbled. He hated these formal parties but General Hammond had asked... no ordered everyone to be there and to have a good time. In light of that order, Jack was going to make an appearance and then discretely leave. Christmas held no meaning for him anymore since Charlie was gone and Jack silently wished that he could once more find a reason to enjoy the holiday season.

A soft, barely audible noise from behind startled Jack, he spun around and was more than mildly surprised to find a young woman standing behind him. She was tall and slender with long honey-blonde hair and hazel-green eyes. She was gowned in a simple ankle-length dress of shimmering white. It seemed to flow down the length of her body, draping her perfectly.

Jack blinked twice. He mentally cursed himself for having left his field weapon on the kitchen counter as he demanded. "Who the hell are you and how did you get in here!?"

"Don't be afraid Jack." the woman said in a soft, melodic tone. "My name is Keira and I am here to give you a gift."

Jack snorted in disbelief. "Sure you are. And I'm the tooth fairy!"

The young woman ignored O'Neill's sarcasm and continued with her explanation. "Tonight is a very special night. It is a night when the world is filled with magic and wonder. Christmas eve is a night when miracles happen and wishes come true. On this special night angels are sent out to grant one special wish to those souls deemed worthy. I am here tonight to give you what you wish for the most."

"Yah right, tell me another one sister." Jack quipped sarcastically, starting out the door towards the kitchen.

The young woman merely smiled sweetly. "I know that much has happened to you Jack, and Christmas has lost all it's magic and wonder for you. Isn't there one thing, one small wish that I can grant that will make it all right for you again?" Keira asked softly, looking down to the side as Jack glared at her. Almost unbidden, an image flashed through Jack's mind; a face. Flustered, he pushed it away as quickly as it had appeared.

It was enough for Keira, she nodded her head in agreement. "Very well, Jack. I have seen your heart's desire and it shall be given to you on this magical night." Keira said softly and then she was gone.

O'Neill shook his head in disbelief. He searched the house looking for her, after a quick run through he was satisfied that she was gone. "You're losing it, Jack ole' boy." he muttered to himself as he turned back to finish getting ready.



*****



"It was so weird." A wide-eyed Sam explained to Daniel and Teal'c as they stood talking quietly. "I turned around and there was this woman standing behind me. I know that this sounds crazy, but she told me that she was a Christmas angel and that she was there to grant me a wish." she let out a nervous laugh.

"She said the same thing to me." Daniel admitted quietly, averting his eyes to the party around them.

"I also had a visit from this angel." Teal'c put in.

"Really? So it wasn't just me." Sam said softly, shaking her head.

"Apparently not." Daniel agreed. "So Sam, what did you wish for?"

Daniel was curious, his eyes sparkled with anticipation for the answer. "You know what they say about wishes Daniel." Sam replied with a smile, enjoying every minute of her torture.

"Yah, but you don't really believe in all that do you?"

"No, I don't but there's really nothing to tell you. Besides, it was just a stupid dream... a hope really." she added quietly, having no excuse for the similarities of the dreams of her friends.

"And you, Daniel Jackson, what did you wish for?" Teal'c asked, raising a brow.

"That all my friends would find happiness." he shot a grin in Sam's direction.

"I wished to better understand my friends." Teal'c said, not perceiving the secret language that was ensuing with his friends.

Sam tried to ignore Daniel and took a sip of her wine. "Has anyone seen the Colonel?" she asked, deliberately changing the subject.

"He was talking to General Hammond a few minutes ago." Daniel told her, smirking.

Sam's reply was halted when she noticed Janet Fraser waving to her from the other side of the room. Sam excused herself from her team mates and crossed the room to where the doctor stood with her fiancé.

"Dr. Jackson, what had just transpired?" She barely contained her smile as she heard Teal'c ask. She went up to her friend, a strange look on her face.

Janet smiled questioningly as Carter neared. "Hi." she said warmly. "Sam, I'd like you to meet my fiancé." she began and gestured to the tall dark-haired man beside her. "Andrew Davis, Captain Samantha Carter. We work together on the base."

"Pleased to meet you." Sam smiled and held out her hand.

"And you." Andrew replied giving her a light squeeze.

"'Drew would you be a dear and get me another?" Janet asked as she held out her empty wine glass.

"Of course." he replied and took the glass from her. "Be right back." he added and then turned to face Sam. "Can I get you one too?"

"Yes," Sam smiled. "White, please." she said and handed him her glass. Once Andrew had gone, Sam turned to Janet and flashed her a smile. "He seems very nice."

"He is." Janet replied laughing. "But I didn't call you over here just to dish my fiancé."

"Oh, then why did you call me over?" Sam inquired curiously.

"Well for starters." Fraser began and flashed Sam a conspirators grin. "That gown you are wearing is gorgeous." she said taking in the evening gown that her friend was wearing.

It was a simple style, cream colored silk that clung to her slender frame like a second skin. The bodice was low cut and showed off a generous amount of cleavage while the long skirt was slit to nearly mid thigh. The dress was decorated by tiny seed pearls that caused the bodice to glitter in the light. The back too, was low-cut so that the long curve of Sam's back was visible. "I know for a fact," Janet continued. "That one man in particular hasn't been able to keep his eyes off you all night."

"I don't know what you mean." Sam countered innocently, trying unsuccessfully to keep the blush from touching her cheeks.

"Oh, come on Sam! Don't tell me that you haven't noticed. His jaw hit the floor when you walked into the room and his eyes haven't left you since. If I didn't know any better I'd say that he's even drooling." Janet chuckled evilly.

"Even if that were true, there's nothing we can do about it. Regulations, remember." Sam said 'matter of factly'.

"Ah, screw the regs!" Fraiser snorted derisively then her tone grew serious. "Sam, I'm your friend and so I am going to give you a little friendly advice, one woman to another. Love is a very rare thing and when it comes your way you have to grab onto it and hold it for all it's worth. Never let it go. And don't let rules and regulations keep you from finding happiness."

"I know that what you are saying is true." Sam said softly. "I just don't know if he..." her voice trailed off.

"Sam, he's interested, believe me. He..." Janet said, but Andrew's return put a stop to her sentence.

"Here you are." Andrew said and held out the two drinks.

"Thanks." Sam said as she took hers and sipped it slowly.

Sam talked with Janet and Andrew for a few minutes longer before General Hammond joined the conversation and she excused herself on the premise of getting more wine.

Several minutes later Sam stepped from the powder room and paused just outside the door. She didn't really feel like going back to the party. She looked around and a small smile touched her lips when the answer beckoned. At the end of the hall a set of french doors led out onto a moonlit courtyard. Moving to the cloakroom to retrieve her coat, Sam slipped it on and then stepped outside into the crisp December night.

The full moon cast it's glow over the yard, causing the snow to sparkle like a blanket of diamonds. She could hear the music from the ballroom as she crossed to stand beside the waist high stone wall and looked down onto the snow covered garden. Sam shivered as the breeze snuck through the tree's. Pulling her open coat tighter around her, Sam allowed her thoughts to drift and soon they settled upon her father. The grief and denial well up inside her threatened to burst and Sam closed her eyes. She struggled to fight the pain but it was too great. Tilting her head back, the gently falling snowflakes melded with the tears on her cheeks.



*****



It was several minutes later when Jack stepped from the ballroom. He had watched Sam as she had slipped from the ballroom and he grew concerned for her when she hadn't returned. The french doors at the end of the hallway stood partially open and instinct moved him towards them. Pushing open the doors O'Neill stepped out onto the snow blanketed patio and spied Carter standing quietly near the low wall.

"Carter?" he called out quietly and moved towards her.

Sam jumped visibly at the sound of his voice. She turned to face him. "Colonel!" she replied in a surprised gasp and even in the dim light, Jack could see that she hurriedly tried to cover up her tears. He continued his approach until he was beside her. Her cheeks were rosy from the cold and her eyelashes sparkled with tears.

"Are you okay?" he asked quietly.

"Yes," Sam replied and gave him a nod. "I'm just not into parties right now." she could tell he saw right through her ruse. "My dad's not doing to well." she told him quietly, trying to hold back the sobs.

"I'm sorry Sam." he responded sincerely and then after a moment added. "But I get the feeling that there's more to all this than just your dad being sick. I'm your friend Sam and you don't have to be afraid to talk to me. I want to help."

Sam turned to look at him and tried to give O'Neill a smile. "Well, sir..."

"Call me Jack, Sam." he offered and she nodded.

Sam took a deep ragged breath before speaking softly. "For quite awhile now I've been wrestling with feelings... rather strong feelings about a friend... a colleague." Sam stopped and flushed with embarrassment. "I shouldn't be talking to you about this." she muttered and turned her eyes away.

Jack found himself suddenly seized with a surprising rush of jealousy but he quickly pushed that feeling aside. Above all else, Sam was his friend and he wanted her to be happy even if that happiness lay elsewhere.

"Please go on Sam." he said softly. He reached out and touched the side of her jaw gently drawing her eyes back to his. Sam looked into Jack's eyes and in those warm brown depths found the courage to continue.

"I've often asked myself." she began, speaking in a soft tentative whisper, unsure of herself. "Do I speak my feelings, do I tell him how I feel? Should I open my heart and risk destroying our friendship? Above all else I value his friendship and I don't ever want to lose that. If that is all he can ever give me then I must be satisfied with that. I don't even know how he feels. I suspect and Janet has told me that he feels the same way, but I don't want to jeopardize our friendship."

"Janet is right." Jack said softly. "Take a chance Sam and tell him. You just might be surprised." He added in a soft whisper. Oh how it pained him to think of her with another man.

Sam looked at him and what she saw mirrored in his eyes made her smile softly. "It's you, Jack." she told him and then stammered in a breathless rush. "I know that you're my CO and it's against the regs, but..."

"Sam." Jack's voice cut her off and she stopped turning her eyes back to his and Jack could read the trepidation in those sapphire blue depths. "To hell with the regs." He muttered as he took a step and closed the distance between them. Sliding a hand through the open folds of her coat, Jack slipped an arm around her waist and drew Sam's small frame tight against him, his hand settling warmly at the small of her back. With his free hand he cupped her cheek. "Sweet Sam." he whispered, his voice husky with tenderness and desire. "I do feel the same way," he admitted softly. "I have for so long." he added quietly as his thumb brushed across the fullness of her lower lip, the gentle caress causing a shiver of desire to skip up and down her spine.

"Jack." she gasped his name softly and her lips parted in anticipation of his kiss.

With a soft smile, Jack obliged her, lowering his lips to rest them lightly upon her own. His lips skimmed, butterfly light across hers, testing, teasing, savoring the taste of her on his lips. Sam purred deep in her throat and slipped her arms around his neck, her hands twining through his hair. She pressed her body closer still to the warmth and strength of his. Their kiss deepened and seemed to go on forever.

Jack's lips left Sam's and trailed gently along her cheek to her ear. "Do you know how long I've longed to hold you, kiss you like this?" He whispered warmly in her ear.

"Mmm, for as long as I've wanted you to." Sam responded and pressed herself closer, shivering slightly against his warmth.

"Cold?" enquired softly, his lips brushing against her temple.

"Not anymore." Sam responded. After a moment she spoke again, this time fear registering in her voice. "What are we going to do Jack? If anyone finds out, we'll be court-martialled."

"I know, we'll just have to be careful." Jack whispered softly and then lowered his lips to hers once again. "And what are we going to do? Love each other." he finished in a soft whisper, his lips brushing hers.

Sam's lips parted eagerly as he deepened the kiss, his tongue slipping past her lips to dance and duel with her own.

"Maybe we should adjourn this to someplace a little more private." Jack suggested as he pressed butterfly-light kisses to her lips.

"Mmm, good idea Colonel." Sam smiled softly. "My place or yours?" she questioned with a grin. Jack returned her playful grin as he pressed a light kiss to the tip of her nose.

"How about your place. I just want to go home first and change out of this damned monkey suit." he muttered as he tugged on the collar of his jacket. "I'll meet you at your place." He added and then pressed another kiss to her nose.

"Okay." Sam nodded.

"I'll walk you to your car." Jack offered as he slipped an arm around her waist.

"Alright. I just want to go and say goodnight to Janet." Sam stated and Jack replied with a short nod as he led her back inside.

As they entered the building, they both became aware of the unmistakable sound of drunken laughter, followed by what could only be Teal'c singing, in his native language, at the top of his lungs. Jack and Sam shared a confused, but highly amused glance before they saw Daniel and Janet exit the ballroom dragging the Jaffa between them.

"What happened?" Jack asked as they approached the trio.

"Eggnog." Janet said matter-of-factly. "He's drunk."

"We figured that out for ourselves Doc." Jack quipped "The question is how? I thought that Junior there protected him from the effects of alcohol?"

"Usually yes." Janet stated. "But I'm guessing that it's not the alcohol at all but something else in the Eggnog. He's developed an allergic reaction of some type that's effecting him just like alcohol affects us."

"But Teal'c has eaten eggs before." Sam stated with a curious frown creasing her brow.

"Yes, but I suspect that it's not just the eggs but the combination of all the ingredients in the drink."

"So what are you going to do?" Sam asked curiously, her voice laced with a touch of concern for her team-mate.

"Besides, keeping him away from the eggnog?" Jack put in and winced when Sam elbowed him sharply in the ribs. If either Janet or Daniel noticed the exchange they gave no sign.

"Take him back to the mountain and put him to bed. There's not much else I can do, but let him sleep it off. He should be fine in the morning and may even have a nice hangover to show for it." Janet stated with a wry smile.

"I'll stay with him." Daniel offered quietly.

"Are you sure?" Fraser questioned him. "My nurses can keep an eye on him."

"That's okay. I want to do this." Jackson told her. Janet merely nodded, knowing that the young archaeologist must have his reasons.

"I'll give you a hand out to the car." Jack offered Daniel as he flashed Sam a sly grin, knowing that she wanted a few minutes alone with her friend.

Janet immediately caught on to the hint and stepped aside to allow O'Neill to take her place. She watched until the trio had disappeared outside before turning to face her friend. "Okay, what gives?" she asked with a grin.

"What do you mean?" Sam replied innocently, although her eyes belied her expression, sparking with mischief as though she were hoarding a great secret which, of course, she was.

"Don't play coy with me Carter." Janet told her mock-seriously. "You two looked pretty cozy just now. So what happened?" Fraser grinned eager for details.

"Lets just say that it went well and we're going back to my place." Sam replied not revealing too much and letting her friend's imagination fill in the rest.

"Ooooh even better." Fraser chuckled. "I have to give him credit, once he makes up his mind he doesn't waste any time. " she added in a low conspirator's voice. "Well, I'll call you tomorrow and you can fill me in on all the raunchy details." she finished with a grin.

"Make it the day after tomorrow and you've got a deal." Sam countered playfully.

"Planning to keep him busy, are you? " Janet grinned. "Well, I don't blame you. Okay the day after tomorrow it is."

"Sam?" Jack questioned as he stepped back inside the building.

"Be right there." she told him and then turned back to Janet. "Thank you Janet, for everything." she told her quietly.

"Hey what are friends for?" Fraser grinned and the two women shared a warm hug. "I'm happy for you Sam." Janet told her quietly. "He's a good man and I want you both to know... tell him that your secret is safe with me."

"I will, thanks."

"You're welcome. Now, you've got a whole night and day of wild, passionate hopefully mind-numbing sex waiting for you, so scram!" Fraser grinned.

Sam blushed brightly but flashed Fraser a smile. "Aye Doc." she added with a quick salute before stepping away and moving towards Jack.

Jack wondered just what it was that Janet had said to Sam to make her blush and asked her when she stopped at his side. "What did she say, or do I want to know?"

"Probably not." Sam quipped playfully and headed outside.

"Great." Jack muttered as he stopped and turned to face her. "So this is what I have to look forward to. You discussing our sex life with your best friend who also happens to be my doctor." he finished and although his tone was playful there was a feral I'll-get-you-for-this glint in his eyes.

"Got it in one fly boy." Sam grinned. "And we don't have a sex life. At least not yet." she finished with a purr, running a finger across his lips. Sam turned and continued to her car leaving a stunned Colonel in her wake.

Jack shook his head as he watched Sam walk away and a huge grin spread across his face. "Damn Jack ole' boy, you are a lucky man." he finished and followed Sam.



*****



Sam closed the door behind her and glanced down at the watch on her wrist, noting the time. Jack had said that he would be back in just over a half hour and she had just enough time to prepare. With a smile and a delighted shiver of anticipation she crossed the condo to her bedroom. As she flicked on the light her cat Familiar roused from his cozy nest in the center of her large queen-sized bed. He stretched his sleek black body out in a way that only feline's could manage and greeted her with a deep throated meow.

"Hey there Familiar." she smiled and gave him a scratch under the chin that elicited a purr from him. "Sleepin on the job were you? Some attack cat you are. Well, I've got company tonight and since three's a crowd you're history tonight buster." Sam crooned as she picked him up and carried him out into the living room. "Scram," she told him as she lowered the cat to the floor. "Go and find your own fun tonight." Sam added as she turned and reentered the bedroom.

Twenty minutes later everything was ready for Jack's arrival. The bed had been remade with clean, sweet smelling sheets and the top covers were folded back invitingly. Scented candles burned on the bookcase headboard, dressers and night stands turning the bedroom into a fragrant, magical place dancing with fairy light.

Sam turned to her mirror and made one final check on her appearance smoothing down the ice blue silk of her robe and smiling secretly at the daring silk negligee she wore beneath.

She jumped when the sound of the doorbell startled her and instantly fought down the nervous fluttering of her stomach. Sam took a deep breath before stepping from the bedroom and into the living room that was now lit only by the glow of the fire in the stone fireplace and the tiny twinkling lights from her Christmas tree.

Sam opened the front door and smiled at the man who stood outside. "Hi" she said as she stood back to let him step inside. She closed the door and turned to face him. Jack set down his small suitcase and held up a bottle of wine.

"Beware of Colonels bearing gifts." he said with a playful grin.

"Really?" Sam said as she took it from him. "And why is that?" she asked as she moved to the dining room and crossed to the china cabinet.

Jack followed her and watched as she reached inside and removed two delicately crafted crystal wine glasses. "Well," Jack said and smiled playfully as he closed the distance between them. He reached out for the sash of her robe, his fingers toying with the ends. With both hands full Sam was unable to stop him as he slowly released the bow and the robe fell open, giving him a glimpse of what she wore beneath. "We might have ulterior motives." he finished, looking down into her eyes and seeing the saucy twinkle in their blue depths.

Sam smiled and stepped back then turned and moved to the bedroom door. As Jack watched her he marveled at the effortless undeniably feminine grace with which she moved and that it was something he hadn't let himself notice before. He had always known that she was a beautiful and desirable woman but it had been easy to overlook her femininity in the definitively masculine fatigues she wore every day. There had been a part of him, however, a part that he had denied existed until now that had noticed that she was most definitely a woman underneath the uniforms she wore.

Sam's soft coaxing voice drew him from his reverie. "Jack?"

"Sorry." he apologized and crossed to where she stood in the doorway. "I was thinking." he told her softly.

Sam smiled, knowing instinctively just where his thoughts had been. "I asked, what were those ulterior motives?"

"Hmm," Jack murmured and gave her a playful smile as his hands came to rest gently on her shoulders. "My motives are to see just exactly what you look like under your fatigues."

"But I'm not wearing fatigues." she countered with a seductive smile.

"Technicality." Jack muttered.

"Well, then I hope you afford me the same privilege?" Sam asked as she took a step backwards, effectively drawing him through the doorway and into the bedroom.

"Oh most definitely." Jack growled as he took another step towards her and slammed the door shut with his foot.



*****



The candles had burned down to almost nothing, as they lay together, their bodies intimately entwined in the warm afterglow of their impassioned love making. Sam's hand tenderly caressed his sweat-damp skin, her fingers combing through the dark hair that dusted his chest. She turned her head and caught sight of the softly glowing numbers on the clock that rested on the night stand. It was Christmas morning.

"Merry Christmas Jack." she whispered softly.

"Merry Christmas Sam." he replied and brushed a tender kiss across her forehead.

"I love you." she added in a soft whisper.

"I love you too." he responded tenderly. "Sleep now." he murmured and drew the woman tighter into his embrace.

She pressed a light kiss to his bare shoulder and snuggled close. Minutes later the soft sound of her breathing told him that she was asleep.

"Thank you Keira." he whispered to his earlier angelic visitor. "You've given me a reason to make Christmas magical again, and I'll be forever grateful. Thank you." he finished and closed his eyes, following his lover into dreams.

The air in the room shimmered and Keira appeared in one of the still candle lit corners. "You're welcome Jack, you're very welcome." she whispered and bestowed a soft smile on the sleeping lovers. Suddenly Keira became aware of another beside her and turned her head, smiling at her angel trainer.

"Not bad for your first assignment Angel girl." Tess smiled. "Not bad at all."

"Thank you. I just wish I could have given Daniel his real wish. He wanted so much to have his wife back with him."

"I know, but that will come, in time. Now we must go." Tess said quietly and motioned for the young angel to follow her.

Keira nodded and cast one last glance at Sam and Jack before smiling and following Tess into the mist.



Fin :)