samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: nev_files@hotmail.com

Rating: PG (Violence)

Summary: When Sam and Jack are captured by Apophis, Daniel and teal'c must find out not only where they are, but how to save them as well, before time runs out...

Disclaimer: The usual. All of Sg-1 and associated themes, etc. belong to someone else (MGM-UA, Double Sekret, Gekko, maybe a few more). I've just taken them for a little trip. They'll be back soon. The world of Dalinesh, however, was created by me, so if you want to use it, go ahead!

Archive: Sam and Jack.


The Technician looked up at General Hammond. "The wormhole is stable, sir." he said, stating the obvious. Rolling his eyes, Hammond switched on the loudspeaker to the Gate Room. "SG-1, you are clear to go." Below, in front of the Gate, Colonel O'Neill turned and snapped off a sarcastic salute before leading the rest of the team through the wormhole to yet another strange planet. A few days earlier, they had been looking at the Abydos Cartouches, looking for likely new worlds that might prove valuable in their fight against Apophis.

Suddenly, Teal'c had pointed to a glyph sequence. "O'Neill, I know of this world." He had said "It fights against Apophis, and has done so for many years. How they do so without being destroyed, I know not, but maybe they possess some powerful technology." The team had been silent whilst Teal'c spoke, partly because this had been valuable information, but mainly because it was unusual to hear more than one sentence from their near-silent companion. With minimal delay, General Hammond had approved the mission.

Now, they walked through the Gate once more, but this time with some specific goal (not just a vague "see if it's interesting, and make contact with the locals" type mission). The MALP had shown a relatively peaceful countryside, with some light vegetation, and a temperature of 19 degrees Celsius. So, naturally, they were surprised to emerge from the Gate to find themselves in the middle of a pitched battle. Daniel needed no prompting to turn around and begin punching in the earth coordinates as fast as he could. Carter and O'Neill took up positions on either side of him, while Teal'c crouched down and began firing his staff weapon at anyone who looked to be about to shoot at them. With a familiar whoosh, the Gate activated.

Turning to the scientist, the Colonel yelled "You and Teal'c first, we'll cover you!" Daniel looked like he was going to argue for a moment, but Jack cut him off screaming "Go! Get the hell outta here!". Not wishing to push the point, Jackson and the Jaffa dove into the Gate.

As Carter and O'Neill turned to do the same, Sam was hit in the back by a blast from a staff weapon. Cursing loudly, Jack dove over her, spun, and shot the Jaffa now aiming at his a moment before he to was taken full in the chest by a blast.



***



Daniel and Teal'c almost fell from the surface of the Gate as they emerged. As one, they looked expectantly at the blue ripples, expecting to see their comrades any second. When the wormhole disengaged, Daniel reached for the Gate. "What the..." He got no further before General Hammond came running into the Gate Room.

"Daniel Jackson, what the hell is going on?"

With his hand still extended, Daniel looked around. "General Hammond sir! We... we just got out of the Gate and we were in a battle. I dialed home, and the Colonel told Teal'c and I to go first. Captain Carter and Colonel O'Neill should have followed right after, but..." He waved his hand at the Gate again.

Immediately, Hammond turned to one of the officers who had followed him into the Gate Room. "I want SG-3 here and ready to leave in thirty minutes." His tone firm and decisive, he continued "Get SG-11 here as well. I want them issued with full combat gear. Automatics, handguns, grenades, mines, the works. I want SG-1 recovered right NOW, if not sooner." Facing the remaining members of SG-1, he said "You two, in my office right now. I need a full report of what happened." He was silent for a brief moment before leading them out of the Gate Room.



***



A chillingly cold smile settled on the lips of the Serpent-God Apophis as he surveyed the bodies of Carter and O'Neill.

"Well," He taunted them "it seems as if we are off to a friendly little world for some fun and games, my little Tau'ri."

He allowed himself a small gloat before dialing in the sequence for their destination, completely oblivious to the gore-covered native lying nearby, feigning death. A hint of pride crossed his face once more as he gazed upon the destruction that he had wrought, vanishing as he stepped through the Gate.



***

Half an hour later...



Hammond stopped pacing the Gate Room floor to see SG teams three and eleven enter the room. Addressing the troops, he said "This is what's happening: SG-1, that is to say, Colonel O'Neill and Captain Carter, have been somehow prevented from returning through the Gate by themselves, so you are to find them, and get them back here ASAP. You are to proceed with the utmost caution, as when Daniel Jackson and Teal'c left, there was a battle in place. Any questions?" He paused for a moment. "No? Well, good luck. You leave as soon as we have the wormhole stabilized." Immediately, the ring of symbols on the Stargate began to turn as the chevrons were encoded. As the last of the team members stepped through the event horizon, and the Gate shut down, he whispered to himself, his voice hardly audible above the background hum of the base. "Dear God, bring them all home please."



***



With a tearing noise, the Gate de-activated, leaving the soldiers to survey the carnage. Their surprise was shattered into amazement as one of the bodies began to move.

"Please..." It croaked, feebly raising an arm "Help me."

Seeing that it wasn't a body, but that the man would soon be one without urgent medical attention, they carefully picked him up and began to dial home. Colonel Tomms, a member of SG-11, knelt next to the native and asked in a quiet voice "Did you see what happened to the other travelers here?" He waited for the man to reply.

"My name is Koltai. I was wounded, and pretended to be dead. The God Apophis came and took those you seek with him to a place... Dalinesh, but I do not know of it." his next words were cut off by a racking spasm of pain. Standing up, Tomms ordered both teams back into the gate.

When they emerged on the other side, General Hammond, Teal'c, Daniel, and Dr. Frasier were waiting for them. Straight away, General Hammond was firing questions at them. "What are you doing back so soon? Where are Carter and O'Neill? Who is the man with you?"

Holding up his hand to slow the General down, Colonel Tomms replied. "Sir, we found this man near the Gate, and no sign of the Colonel and the Captain. This man, Koltai, told us that Apophis came and took their bodies away..." He got no further before Dr. Frasier interrupted.

"Their bodies? Surely they aren't dead?" Her face was shocked and disbelieving, a sentiment also expressed by the General. Even the usually stony-faced Jaffa looked anxious.

"As I was saying, ma'am, it was Apophis. He took them to another planet, and it seems likely that he would have healed them, but I wouldn't want to be in their boots when they come to."

Teal'c cleared his throat before speaking. "To which world did they go?"

"I don't know, but apparently, Apophis called it 'a little world of fun and games'."

The big Jaffa spun around so quickly that everyone jumped. Hearing his shocked intake of breath, General Hammond raised his eyebrows slightly, silently asking what he knew. Looking very agitated, Teal'c replied. "It is a small world, light by three suns. Mostly, it is used by the Gou'auld as a place of formal execution." Pausing to think, he resumed his narrative. "There grows on that world a rare crystal, called a 'luxafil'. The crystals grow towards the sky during the day, and sink again to the ground at night. Whoever is being executed is staked down to the ground, and the crystals grow through their bodies. It usually takes five or six hours for the crystals to kill them." Here, he was interrupted by Daniel.

"Sounds like Latin."

"What?" Came the reply from Hammond, Teal'c and Dr. Frasier.

"Luxafil could come from the Latin lux, meaning light, and phile, to like or love. A crystal that loves light."

"I believe that Daniel Jackson is right." the Jaffa said, with a hint of surprise in his voice.

At this point, he was once more interrupted by General Hammond. "Teal'c, do you know the address of this planet?"

"With regret, General, I do not." Everyone's faces fell. After a short pause, Teal'c looked up at the General. Sounding sure of himself, he said "But I would remember the sequence if I saw it. What about the Abydos cartouche?" He got no farther before they were all running to the nearest mainframe access terminal.



***



With a grinding hiss, the sarcophagus slid open. At once, several Jaffa moved forward to lift the limp body from it. Taking it down the corridor, they put it on the floor, next to the other one already there, left, and locked the door.

Shortly, Jack sat up, and immediately fell back, clutching his head. When the pain had subsided, he looked around the cell and saw Sam watching him with an expression of concern on her face.

Wincing slightly as he sat up again, he said "Carter, I hate to sound like a cliché, but what the hell hit me?"

This typical sarcastic question telling her that he was all right, Sam answered "Well, sir, as closely as I can figure, we've been taken captive by Apophis. I don't think that he plans to have us as house guests, so you can probably see where this is going."

Groaning again, Jack spoke almost to himself. "Great! We're shot, killed, and healed again, just to be killed again."

He got no more out before a Jaffa entered the cell, his Zat gun held at the ready. O'Neill opened his mouth to say something, but the Jaffa swung his fist, catching him on the side of the jaw.

"Apophis has sent me to inform you that you are to executed at noon tomorrow." With that, he turned and left the cell.

"Well, that answers a few questions." O'Neill commented, rubbing his jaw. "Unfortunately, the newest question is 'what the hell do we do NOW?'"

"Firstly sir, they've taken our weapons, and I saw at least six more Jaffa in the corridor when they opened the door, so force isn't going to work." She glanced around the small cell. "It seems, sir, that the cell is escape proof. The bars are too high to reach, even standing on you shoulders, so maybe we could hope that General Hammond sends a group here to rescue us?"

Jack sighed as his face fell. "You know, Carter, that would probably work, if they knew where 'here' is. Hell, do WE even know where 'here' IS?"

"They'll figure it out sir, I know they will."

"Yeah, right.' Jack said resignedly, settling once more into his silent brooding.



***



Night fell through the bars of the cell. Carter’s voice startled O'Neill out of his private thoughts. "Sir?"

"Wha... what?"

"Did you just hear anything that I just said to you?"

"No, sorry. I guess I didn't. What did you say?" He turned around to face her. A slight frown creased his brow as he saw the look of unease on his Captain's face. "What is it Carter?"

"Well, sir, if we don't make it..."

Cutting her off with a sharp motion of his hand, he said "We'll make it trust me."

"Well sir, I believe you, but just in case we don’t..." She paused for a few seconds and drawing a deep breath. Gulping, she continued, taking a plunge. It was literally now or never. "... If we don't, there's some things that I wanted to get off my chest. I know that we're team mates and all, as well as I know that you're my CO. But that doesn't change what I feel, regulations or not. I've tried to keep it a secret, mostly by flirting, and sarcasm, but I don't want to go without letting you know. Um... I want to have no regrets if..."

With a kind, and (was it possible) understanding look on his face, Jack urged her to keep going. "Go on, Samantha, I think I know where this is headed." Startled by his use of her full first name, she went on.

"Um... Well, sir, Colonel, Jack, Jonathan, I um, love you." She finally blurted out. Instead of laughing, as she had expected him to, he reached out and tenderly touched her cheek.

"I know Samantha, because I feel it too. Ever since I first met you, I have felt it, but I hid it deep, mainly because I was sure that you didn't feel the same way," He paused for a second and then added as an afterthought "and also because it's against the regs." Keeping his hand on her cheek, he saw tears start to roll down. Gently, he wiped them away with his thumb. Looking into her eyes, he whispered softly. "If we don't make it, where we'll be going, there won't BE any damn regulations, haloes or pitchforks, maybe, but no regulations." Leaning forward slowly, giving her ample time to withdraw if she didn't want to, he brushed his lips ever so lightly across hers.

Pulling back slightly, Sam whispered. "Sir..."

In a reprimanding tone, Jack interrupted her. "I think we're past the 'sir' stage Samantha."

Smiling slightly, Sam continued. "Jack, if you don't shut up and kiss me right this minute..." She got no further argument from Jack who was caught a bit off guard as Sam pulled him into a much fiercer kiss. Things were just getting a little out of hand when Jack suddenly pulled back, his face going red.

"What is it Jack?" Sam asked, not sure what she'd done wrong.

"Um, I'd prefer if we didn't take this much further..." Glancing up to the barred window in the door, he continued "I don't particularly want an audience." Seeing the look of relief on Sam's face as she realized that it wasn't her mistake, he leaned forward and kissed her better again. Then, with their arms still wrapped around each other, they fell asleep, their contented faces only centimeters apart.



***



"Teal'c!" Daniel's voice echoed around the deserted lab. Looking at his wristwatch, he said "It's six AM. How long have you been here?"

Not looking up from his almost feverish searching of the computer screen, the Jaffa replied. "All night. I MUST find it. Their lives depend on me finding it."

Astounded, Daniel quickly responded. "What can I do to help?" Eager to aid, he began looking for things to do.

"Daniel Jackson, please, you could most help me by letting me do this without distraction. I have until almost midday to find it."

"What? How did you get that figure?"

"It is when the condemned are placed upon the crystals. It is customary. Apophis would not dare break tradition on such an important issue, now go, please."

"Yeah, sure, anything you say Teal'c." With one last look at the Jaffa who hadn't moved an inch the whole conversation, he left the room to go back to his own, and not get any sleep all by himself.



***



Stifling a stretch, Jack opened his eyes and looked straight at Sam's, only inches away from his own. A soft smile formed on his lips as he recalled the events of the previous night. Within seconds, Sam awoke as well. Not even hesitating, she quickly leant forward and gave Jack a good-morning kiss.

"wakey wakey, rise and shine!" Jack teased her gently, kissing her again.

After a few minutes, Sam stopped for a breath. Looking him in the eyes, she said "If that's what staying in bed's going to get me, I'd rather stay right here, thank you very much."

At that point, four Jaffa burst into the room, two standing by the door, the other two moving forward to grab the prisoners. Jack and Sam gave a brief moments thought to an escape attempt, but their hopes were squashed when they saw another whole platoon of guards outside the door.

Quickly, they were bound and led to the main hall. Without warning, they were shoved to the ground. Seconds later, Apophis strode in. Giving them the barest glance, he addressed the guards.

"Take them to the crystal fields at once." Turning back the way that he had come, he led his troops and the two captives out of the building and into the desert.



***



At shortly before eleven o'clock, Daniel was stirred from his nervous pacing by a loud pounding on his door.

"Daniel Jackson! Open up! I have the sequence!"

Needing no further urging, he hurriedly slipped on his shoes and ran out the door following the big Jaffa with difficulty. Reaching General Hammond's door, Teal'c repeated his message and got the same response. When they reached the Gate Room, Hammond, puffing, picked up the intercom.

"SG-3 and SG-11 report to the Gate Room immediately! This is a code three!" He resumed his pacing for all of thirty seconds before all of both teams were present. He turned to Teal'c. "Teal'c, the sequence if you please." Facing the troops again, he continued. "We know where Colonel O'Neill and Captain Carter are. Teal'c will brief you on the way down." As he finished, the Gate engaged with a mighty whoosh.

Teal'c began to explain the situation as he sprinted down to the Stargate. "Apophis must take the condemned to the crystal field at noon, he is to be unarmed. He will then leave the site until the following morning, when he will collect the bodies. He will not violate the tradition by carrying a weapon, but he might have his Serpent Guards around the site whilst he is there." He stopped as they reached the Gate.

General Hammond addressed them all before they went. "What I believe Teal'c is saying is that you must get in there, get them out, and get back here as fast as is possible. Am I right Teal'c?"

"Yes." That was the only response Hammond got, as both teams all but sprinted into the surface of the wormhole.



***



Emerging rapidly from the Gate, Teal'c looked around and set off away from the Stargate, into the desert, closely followed by the rest of the teams. Jogging silently for close to half an hour, they suddenly stopped behind a large dune.

Teal’c spoke up. "Over this rise lies the crystal field. From here on, there will be guards everywhere. Now, let us go." Creeping across the dunes on their bellies, they halted when they saw the procession headed to the crystals. They waited out of sight when Apophis sent the Jaffas out to guard the field. Any Jaffa who was unlucky enough to be sent in their direction was quickly and silently dealt with.

When The captives had been staked out, and Apophis had left, they spread out amongst the dunes in groups, seeking the Jaffas. Within ten minutes, there was only one Jaffa left, standing guard over the two forms staked out on the crystal beds.

Teal'c and Daniel met up with SG-3 and SG-11 behind one of the dunes. Daniel looked at Teal'c. Raising his eyebrows, he asked "Well, what do we do now?" Seeing the resolve building in the Jaffa's eyes, he continued. "Teal'c, what are you planning?"

"The only Jaffa down there is Shak'l. I would know him anywhere. I will go down and challenge him in dakash'te. It means single combat, and no Jaffa can refuse, lest he be seen to be craven and without honor. I will beat him, and release O'Neill and Captain Carter." So saying, he stood up and began to descend the dune.

Immediately, Colonel Tomms began to stand up, but Daniel held him down, speaking in a low tone. "Colonel, Teal'c knows what he is doing. If we go down there, we could spoil everything. He'll be all right, and if he isn't... well, we'll give him some help." Considering this, Tomms lay down in the sand again to wait.

When Teal'c judged that he was within earshot of Shak'l, he raised his voice. "Shak'l! Dal ita dakash'te kallegra!"

Up on the dune, Tomms turned to Daniel, his eyes asking the question. pausing for a moment, Daniel replied "Literally, it means: 'Shak'l, I to you in single combat challenge'. I wonder how he'll take it?"

They had only a few seconds to wonder before Shak'l answered. "Teal'c! Dai nekris shol'va te!"

Once more, Daniel translated. "Teal'c. I will kill you, traitor.' Swallowing, he continued. "Sounds like he's really pissed off."

By now, Teal'c had reached Shak'l, and both were laying down their staff weapons. As soon as his weapon touched the ground, Shak'l whipped around and drove his fist into Teal'c's stomach. Expecting this, Teal'c turned slightly, allowing the blow to skid across his gut. Instantly, Teal'c snapped his elbow around, directly into the off balance Shak'l's face. Shaking his head and spitting out some teeth, Shak'l approached, but more carefully this time. Faking with his left, Shak'l quickly slipped a concealed knife out and lunged. Caught off guard, Teal'c barely managed to dodge the sweep of the blade. A second strike followed straight after, then a third. As the third strike whistled past his face, he raised his hands and grabbed Shak'l's arm. With a vicious twist, he broke the arm. A spasm of pain crossed Shak'l's face, but it quickly vanished as he caught Teal'c a harsh knee to the groin. As the big Jaffa dropped to the ground, Shak'l turned and picked up his staff weapon. When he turned back, it was to stare right into the wrong end of a zat gun. Teal'c looked into the eyes of a man who had once been his best friend, and pulled the trigger three times.

Whispering to himself "I am truly sorry, old friend, but you broke the rules. You left me with no choice." A single tear made it's way down his face as he lifted his radio to signal the all clear.

It took a surprisingly short time to free Sam and Jack. Immediately they were swamped with questions.

"What happened?"

"Are you all right?"

"How do you feel?" Holding up his hand for silence, Jack began to answer.

"Firstly, we're all right, we're fine! Second, a Jaffa shot Sam." At such a casual use of Carter's first name, Daniel began to wonder... Jack continued "I shot him, but one of his friends got me. Next thing I know, we were in a cell in a building over that way." He pointed over the dunes. "They took our weapons, and there were too many guards to overpower, so we sat tight and waited for you guys to save us, which you did, even if it took you a while! Thanks guys! How do you all feel about heading home? The General is probably wearing a groove in the floor right now."

At the Stargate, Jack held back and waited until everyone but Sam had gone through. Turning to her, he took her into his arms and whispered into her hair "No regrets Samantha?"

Gazing into his eyes, Sam whispered just as softly "Not a one, Jonathan." Kissing him passionately, they entered the Gate home.



The End

What did you think?? feedback would be greatly appreciated!!