samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: wendyparkinson@hotmail.com

Category: Drama

Spoilers: Broca Divide

Season/Sequel info: Second Season, after Message in a Bottle

Rating: PG

Content Warnings: None

Summary: Sequel to "Trust Me" - Jack has a visitor in his office...

Archive: "Heliopolis" and "Sam and Jack"

Date: 1/5/99

Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters belong to MGM, Gekko Corp and Double Secret Productions. This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it. Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended. Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental.

Author's notes: This is a sequel to my previous story, Trust Me. I would suggest you read that first, otherwise I don't think this one will make much sense. It's archived at Sam and Jack and Heliopolis.

All feedback and constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated. No flames please.

copyright Wendy Parkinson May 1999


Pushing myself back into the chair I stretched, then rubbed my eyes. I hate paperwork. It felt like I'd been sitting at my desk for hours. Glancing at my watch, I groaned. I had been here for hours, ever since I'd picked up those files from Doctor Frasier.

Now that was a visit to the infirmary I won't forget in a hurry. The look on Carter's face was priceless, particularly when I said "You can thank me later." Stunned would be a good description.

I stared at the chaos on my desk. Perhaps if I tidied up a bit... Possibly using a flame thrower. I pulled a face then shook my head. No, not practical. With a sigh I gathered some of the papers together, stood up and walked over to the filing cabinet. I was trying to work some of the kinks out of my shoulders when there was a knock at the door.

"Come in."

The door creaked open. I heard a familiar voice. "Hi there."

"Carter, what can I do for you?"

When she didn't reply, I turned to face her. She was standing in the doorway, her arm draped casually on the frame. Wearing a black dress and high heels she looked ready for a party. "Going out, Carter?"

"I was rather hoping we could stay in." Her voice sounded odd, kind of low and husky, less forceful than normal. Perhaps she has a cold.

"You feeling OK? You don't sound yourself."

"Oh, I'm fine. I've never felt better, Jack."

Jack? She never calls me Jack. She has got to be ill. "You know, I think you better see the Doc. Better safe than sorry."

"I only want to see you," she breathed as she started to walk towards me. Even her walk seemed different, must be those high heels.

This wasn't the Sam Carter I worked with every day, Sam Carter the scientist, the soldier I'd trust with my life. The woman in front of me was unrecognisable.

She licked her lips slowly, her eyes never leaving mine. "When you kissed me, I knew."

"Knew what?"

"That we were made for each other."

I know it's difficult to believe but I was speechless. My mouth opened and closed, but no sound came out. I backed up. It was instinctive. I swallowed hard. I've always thought of Carter as a team-mate, one of the guys, my second in command. Not as... well, what she was obviously thinking. I had another look at what she was wearing. The short dress was definitely more flattering than fatigues. And presumably it was for my benefit. I shuddered, I had to talk her out of this. Fast.

"Captain, I... I... it was a joke. It didn't mean anything."

Her eyes narrowed. She looked menacing. "You were toying with my affections?"

Nice one, O'Neill. Now she's mad. "Not toying, no, no, never toying..." I stammered, as I tried and failed to smile placatingly. My mind raced. Was this my fault? Had I led her on? It was only a kiss. I was fooling around. Can't she take a joke? Hell, is this what you get for trying to help? This is the last time I try to sort out Carter's love life.

She smiled seductively. "That's all right then. Come here, Jack."

"Captain, I don't think of you in that way. We're buddies, right?"

"Oh, but Jack, we could be so much more..."

I continued to back away from her.

"There's no need to run away, Jack. What are you afraid of?"

I shook my head incoherently. Blind panic was beginning to set in.

She took another couple of steps towards me. I backed up a little more. She reminded me of a big cat stalking its prey. I began to sweat. Why couldn't I deal with this? After all, it was only Carter. But Carter didn't usually act this way. For crying out loud, I didn't get to be a Colonel behaving like this. Special Forces training and one woman had me in full retreat. I had to ask myself if I was a man or a mouse.

I tried to reason with her. "I shouldn't have kissed you. It was a mistake."

"But it was so good, wasn't it?"

Not wanting to upset her again I tried to smile. It was difficult under the circumstances.

She carried on. "I could tell how you feel about me."

"You could?"

"Mmmm, now nothing can stop us from being together."

If she'd been aggressive or violent this would have been easier to deal with. There would be a fight then I'd overpower her and drag her to the brig or the infirmary. Like that other time. The other time. That's it!

"Captain, you've been experimenting with that virus from the Land of Light again, haven't you?"

OK, I was clutching at straws, but I was getting desperate.

"No, Jack. I know exactly what I'm doing... what I'm going to do... what we're going to do."

"Carter, I really don't want to..."

"Jack, I know you're trying to protect me. Regulations, protocol... who cares? I don't. I just want you."

She wasn't going to take no for an answer. I know I could take her down in a fight but how would I explain that to General Hammond? "Sorry, Sir. But Carter came on to me, so I had to knock her out." That would sound just peachy in a report.

She was still coming towards me. I backed up again, straight into the wall. I was cornered. The next thing I knew, her hands were braced either side of my head. Like a rabbit caught in car headlights I was mesmerised. I could feel her breath on my face when she whispered, "I know what you want. Don't fight it, Jack."

"Carter, don't..."

"Be quiet."

I opened my mouth to protest. I should have known what she was going to do. She kissed me. I guess that's one way to shut me up. The kiss was mind numbing. I tried to push her away, I really did, but she was pressed hard against me. My body was beginning to have some very improper thoughts about Captain Carter when I heard footsteps come to a stop in the doorway.

"Jack, Sam said you wanted to see me... Not again! You guys need a "do not disturb" sign. Or you could try closing the door."

As Daniel stopped speaking, Carter pulled away from me. When I groggily opened my eyes, the seductive temptress of moments before had been replaced by Captain Sam Carter grinning from ear to ear.

"Consider yourself well and truly thanked... Sir!" She snapped a quick salute, turned on her heel and left.

I wish Daniel would stop laughing...



The End.