samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: gtbosse@mweb.co.za

Spoilers: Minor spoilers for "Foothold" and Maybourne in general

Season/Sequel info: After 100 days

Feedback: Yes please.

Authors notes: Thanks to Sheena for her encouragement

Archive:Sam and Jack and anyone else please ask.


Sam stood under the shower for ages. She was trying to wash away the pain of betrayal. She was tired, exhausted and her feelings kept pushing themselves to the surface. She knew she could not handle them now. "NO! NOT NOW".

"LATER" she kept saying to herself "LATER"... She dried and dressed herself in a hurry. She did not want to bump into Janet. She knew Janet would want to talk and she knew she could not handle it now.As she got out the elevator at the surface, she over heard two privates talking "Wow did you hear about Maybourne's brother and sister-in-law? They were killed in a car accident about an hour ago. I heard General Hammond telling someone on the phone."

Sam automatically felt sorry for Maybourne. He was a right pain in the rear but no one deserved this. She had to admit to herself that after the foothold situation her opinion of him had changed. Not much but it had changed.

She got into her car and as she was driving away she heard Daniel call her. She slowed down and looked into the rear view mirror and saw him coming toward the car with JACK. No! She could not handle this now, so she put her foot on the accelerator and drove off. "To hell with him" she thought. She drove around and around not quite sure where she was going and ended up at the Whistler Bar. She decided that one drink might help her calm down.

As Sam entered the bar, she noticed Maybourne sitting by himself. Sam wondered what he was doing this far from home. She ordered her drink and was watching Maybourne in the mirror, he really looked terrible.

Then Sam remembered the conversation about his brother and sister-in-law. As she picked up her drink and walked towards his table she thought "Oh well, misery loves company ".

"Excuse me Sir, is this seat taken?" Maybourne looked up at Sam and she actually felt sorry for him as she could see the pain in his eyes. "No, Major, this seat isn't taken," Maybourne replied.

She sat down and, for a while, both just sat there staring into their own glasses, occupied with their own thoughts. Eventually Maybourne started to talk. He told her about his brother and how they were always arguing and never got on together and how he wished he could have told his brother he actually LOVED him. Sam's heart went out to him. She remembered how it had been between her brother and father and what it would be like now if they hadn't resolved their differences. Sam didn't even think as she reached out and held his hand.

Daniel was sure that Sam had heard him shout, because she even slowed down. So what was her problem?. "Come on Danny Boy, where are we going for a drink." Jack was getting agitated. All he wanted to do was get away. He felt that everyone on the base seemed to be shunning him, including Janet. She was so abrupt with him. What on earth had he done??? And to make matters worse he had overheard Janet talking to Sam. Something about "your secret is safe with me" and when he had questioned Janet about it, she had just walked away from him. What secret???

"Lets go to Whistler, it's near here" Daniel said. He had noticed how Janet had acted with Jack and also how Sam had avoided him, and knew that Jack was a bit uptight.

As they walked into Whistler, Daniel hearing Jack say "What the HELL!" looked in the same direction as Jack. There sat Sam holding Maybourne's hand. As Jack started towards the table, Daniel grabbed his arm. "Jack, its none of our business." He could see Jack was ready to explode.

"Maybourne!! Maybourne!! I can't believe this." Then Jack remembered the praise Maybourne had given Sam after the foothold incident and Maybourne never gave praise to anyone.

"So maybe Sam had left out a few things in her report"" Jack thought bitterly.

Daniel had ordered their drinks but unfortunately where they were standing they could see Sam and Maybourne in the mirror. Daniel could see that Jack was watching them and he tried not to stare but he was intrigued as well. "Why on earth was Sam with Maybourne?" Daniel hadn't even touched his drink yet but Jack had already downed two and was ordering another. "Oh dear" thought Daniel. "This is going to be one of those nights..." They could see in the mirror that Sam had now put her hand on Maybourne's shoulder and it looked as if she was caressing it.

That was enough for Jack. He grabbed his glass and stormed over to Sam and Maybourne. Daniel followed as quickly as he could, but not quickly enough.

"Just what the hell is going on here?" Jack demanded.

Sam looked up at Jack, looked at her one hand holding Maybourne's and the other on his shoulder and realized what it must look like. She wanted to laugh "Oh the irony of it." she thought.

"Good evening, sir" she said. Jack looked like a thunder cloud and Maybourne, realizing what Jack was thinking, stood up and said "It's none of YOUR business."

"OH YES IT IS!" Shouted Jack as he glared at them both.

Daniel knew if he did not get Jack out there quickly, there was going to be a major incident. Major being the operative word. "Come on Jack, lets go." Daniel grabbed his arm but Jack shrugged it off, eyes blazing with fury as he stared at Maybourne. "NOW!" shouted Daniel.

Jack just turned and stormed off, and Sam looking at Daniel, said, "You had better go after him."

Daniel found Jack pacing up and down outside the Bar. He was furious and started off with "How could she, the b..." Before he could continue Daniel interrupted in a quiet voice. "Don't you DARE say anything about Sam. You of all people have NO right to talk, so lets drop it."

Now Daniel was annoyed and stormed to the car. "Get in. I will drop you at home."

The journey home was silent and Jack was bewildered and confused. "What on earth was happening to everyone, and why was I acting like a jealous school boy?".




* * *




Jack tried sleeping but every time he closed his eyes he saw Lara's face, smiling, then Samantha's face. Only she was crying, and then there was Daniel shouting at him, "Its all your fault". And the worst was Maybourne with his smug face laughing at him

"ENOUGH" he shouted as he jumped out the bed. "Get out my head all of you." He checked his clock. "Oh no! It was time to wake up and he hadn't gone to sleep yet.




* * *




Jack walked into the locker room looking like death warmed up. Daniel couldn't help saying "Do you feel as bad as you look?" Only to get a filthy look from Jack. "I didn't sleep too well last night." Daniel again couldn't help it "Guilty conscience??"

Later Daniel walked into the commissary narrowly missing Jack as he stormed out the room

He found a very confused Teal'c picking up a slightly damaged chair which Jack had just knocked over in temper.

"Teal'c?" Daniel raised his eyebrows.

"Colonel O'Neill" Teal'c said pointing to the chair.

Daniel understood immediately. He remembered the shampoo bottle Jack had throw against the wall in the shower this morning just because he couldn't get the lid off.

"Daniel Jackson! What is wrong with Colonel O'Neill? All I asked him was if he had an enjoyable evening? Tealc asked.

"I think he is having a bad hair day." said Daniel with a shake of his head.

Jack returned catching the end of Daniel's comment. That was enough for him, he threw his hands in the air and stormed off only to bump into Sam and Janet. They both looked at him, looked at each other and shook their heads. Jack couldn't get passed them so he turned and walked back towards the coffee machine. "Maybe a STRONG cup of coffee will help," he thought.

Sam and Janet where sitting at the table and he watched them. They were talking in a whisper and every now and then Janet would giggle. They were acting like two naughty teenagers. He was staring at Sam and she looked at him, their eyes met and then it hit him... "I LOVE HER." No, this was impossible, I can't! I don't! But in all this denial he knew it was true. Yet there was NOTHING he could do about it. NOTHING!. He was a COLONEL and she was a MAJOR and that's where it all stopped.

Just then the phone rang and Daniel answered it. "Sam, Maybourne on the line for you"

It took all of Jack's reserve to keep quiet and not say anything. He looked at Daniel and then he realized what Daniel was trying to say last night and it made matters even worse. If she cared for him even a little, he must have HURT her so much. If only.....!

Jack gulped his coffee down as Private Walker approached, telling them that General Hammond wanted to see them urgently. Jack stood up, took a long look at Sam, shook his head to clear it and said in an abrupted voice "Lets go"




The End