samandjack.net

Story Notes: This is my response to Siobhan's challenge - what really happened on P3X595! Hope you enjoy it. All feedback and constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated. No flames please.


The mission had been going well - so well that Colonel Jack O'Neill was beginning to get worried. He looked out at the crowded room and automatically scanned the throng for the other three members of SG1. Teal'c was standing in the corner, looking very stiff and very uncomfortable. He appeared to be trying to make conversation with one of the local officials. From the expression on his face he wasn't enjoying it. Daniel was on the other side of the room surrounded by about six pretty girls all hanging on his every word. Jack shook his head, sometimes their archaeologist could be awfully slow on the uptake when it came to women. His attitude seemed to be something like - I'm not interested in them in that way so why should they care about me? But they always did, and in droves. Jack completed his survey of the room and realised he couldn't see Captain Carter. He put his drink down and started to walk towards the door. She must be around somewhere.

As he reached the doorway he heard music and the sounds of a crowd shouting encouragement. He changed direction and followed the noise. When he reached its source he was horrified at what he saw. Sam Carter was dancing in the middle of a large group of people and starting to take her T-shirt off to the loud whoops and yells of the mainly male audience. Jack pushed his way through to the front, firmly pulled Sam's shirt down and dragged her away.

"You're a spoilsport, Sir. A nasty, rotten spoilsport. I was enjoying myself."

She prodded him in the chest to emphasise her point. She tottered slightly to one side, almost losing her balance. O'Neill grabbed her arms and steadied her. "Carter, have you been drinking?"

"Only this, Sir." She waved a glass under his nose. "It tastes like pineapple juice."

Jack took the offered glass and had a small sip. "More like vodka and pineapple," he said, frowning.

"This is P3X595, not Earth. They won't have vodka." She hiccuped. "Sir."

"Well, something like vodka, then. How many have you had?"

"A couple of those bottles." She pointed at a table nearby that was stacked with dozens of identical bottles.

"I'd guess you've had too much then. I think we better get you back to your room."

"Oh Sir, the party's only just got going. You're a spoilsport."

"Yes, I know, you've told me once already."

Jack took hold of Sam's elbow and steered her down the corridor to the sleeping quarters. He took the key from her and opened the door to her room. "There you go, Captain. You get some rest, I'll see you in the morning."

As the Colonel turned to leave Sam grabbed hold of his sleeve, pulling him into the room. "Oh, don't go, Sir. We can have our own party here."

Jack started to protest and found that somehow Sam had shut the door and put her arms round him at the same time. She began to stroke his back then moved her other hand upwards and started to run her fingers through his hair.

"Captain, what do you think you're doing?"

"Something I've wanted to do for ages."

Slightly unfocussed blue eyes met concerned brown.

"Captain Carter!" He tried his best command voice, the tone he knew scared the hell out of new recruits but it was having no effect on Sam. The hand on his back was gradually working lower and he was beginning to have problems concentrating. Then suddenly, she pulled him down towards her and he found her mouth on his. His first reaction was shock but then something else took over and he found himself kissing her back. A little voice at the back of his mind was telling him that this was wrong, that he was taking advantage of a drunken woman who would never be doing this if she was sober. Jack ended the kiss and looked down at Sam. She ran her finger playfully down his cheek.

"You know Sir, you're the sexiest commanding officer I've ever served under."

"Sam, you're going to regret..."

As he was speaking she started to sway, then her legs crumpled under her and she passed out in Jack's arms. He shook his head and smiled to himself as he lifted her onto the bed. Boy, was she going to have a hangover tomorrow!



*



The next morning O'Neill left Teal'c and Jackson negotiating with the town officials and went looking for Carter. After asking several people he was directed to a small park. He spotted Sam straight away, she was sitting in dappled shade under a tree watching some swans on the lake in front of her. He cleared his throat as he approached. She swung round, then immediately turned away from him again, obviously embarrassed.

"Hello, Sir."

"Good morning, Captain. How are you feeling today?"

"Um... as well as can be expected under the circumstances."

Jack sat down on the grass beside Sam and took a good look at her while she was watching the lake. He'd been right - she must feel awful. Bloodshot eyes, pale complexion, very quiet - she'd got the hangover from hell.

Sam took a very deep breath. "About last night, I owe you an apology, Sir."

"You think?"

Sam winced and ploughed on. "I behaved appallingly, unprofessionally. I'm sorry, Sir."

"Its OK, Captain. No harm done. You make a very entertaining drunk."

Sam looked mortified. Jack couldn't resist asking something he was dying to know. "Just how much do you remember, Carter?"

"Everything, I think. From drinking that "pineapple juice" at the party to telling you..."

She stopped when she realised what she had been about to say.

Jack helped her out. "You compared me to other commanding officers you had known."

Sam nodded wearily. "What did I do after that?"

"You passed out. I caught you and put you on the bed."

"That's a relief." She let out the breath she hadn't realised she'd been holding. "Thanks."

They lapsed into silence, both watching the swans moving elegantly across the lake. Jack glanced at Sam and smiled to himself.

"So, Captain, did you mean what you said?"

"W-what?"

"Your... comparison?"

She continued to stare out at the water, summoned up her courage and answered him. "Yeah, I guess I did."

Sam risked a peek at him and was met by a mischievous grin and twinkling brown eyes. His smile was infectious and seemed to be getting closer. When their lips met, the kiss was tender and full of promise. After what seemed like an eternity, they broke apart and smiled shyly at each other. Jack gently toyed with Sam's hair.

"I'm so glad you feel like that. I'd hate to lose out to... say... Colonel Gibson or Colonel Jones. After all, they are fat, fifty and balding."

"Jack..."

"Or Jim Sanderson... or Colonel Woods..."

"Jack..."

"Or any of those "science types" at the Pentagon..."

"Jack!"

He finally stopped talking and looked at Sam. "Yeah?"

"Just shut up and kiss me."



The End