samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: mcguirk@iol.ie

Disclaimer: I don't own any thing. They all belong to Gekko and MGM. Me not making money out of it so donut sue I'm broke.

Spoilers: Major ones for 1969.

Date: 25 June 1999

Rating: PG or less, there's nothing bad in it.

Archive: Sam & Jack, Heliopolis anywhere else please ask first.

Notes: On the S/J list recently we were talking about Sam's mom and this little thing popped into my head. It's sort of a 'what if the episode 1969 was a bit different' kinda thing. I changed one part of the episode and the rest is fit around it.

Summary: What was Sam like in 1969?


Jack cautiously made his way up the steps of the observatory. He was surprised that he had been able to fool the guard at the gate into thinking he knew one of the workers. But it was probably because he was afraid of Teal'c that he let them through.

In sixties clothes and with his hair Teal'c looked pretty scary, who was he kidding Teal'c scared the hell out of anyone who didn't know him anyway so it wasn't much of a change.

When he reached the top of the steps he pulled the door handle, it opened easily. 'Well, that was easy.' He thought to himself. He walked into the large dome shaped building.

Teal'c entered after him and shut the door behind him. He looked skeptically up at the huge telescope. "Are you sure you will be able to work this, O'Neill?"

Jack sighed and shook his head. "For crying out loud Teal'c I've been using one of these things for over twenty years, okay so maybe this one is a little bigger then the rest. They cant be that different to use."

Teal'c raised an eyebrow at Jack's statement. "It is our only way home O'Neill, it is only right that I should ask you if you know that you are doing. I do not want to stay here, it took me long enough to understand your strange sayings and now there are even stranger ones here."

Jack looked over at his friend. "Look Teal'c, I know how to work the dammed machine OK? All you gotta do is tell me when and where this flare will be."

Teal'c nodded.

"How much time have we got?" Jack asked.

"The flare is at 09:15 am. We have twenty minutes."

"What are you two doing in here? This place is out of bounds for visitors."

Jack whirled around to see a woman with shoulder length blond hair staring at him. Jack and Teal'c just stared at her. 'Have I seen her before she looks familiar.' Jack thought to himself.

"Well are you gentlemen going to tell me or do I have to call security?" She asked with her hands on her hips.

"Um... we are looking for someone who works here." Jack stuttered.

The woman looked at him skeptically, "It's not even 9 am yet, I'm the only one here." She walked over to the nearby telephone and picked it up. "Now are you really going to tell me why you are here?" She asked looking at Teal'c.

"We noticed the telescope and we decided to get a look at it while we where waiting for our friend to arrive." Teal'c said in a calm voice.

"What's your friends name?" She demanded.

Teal'c looked over at Jack.

"Hammond, Ge... George Hammond. He only started working here last week." Jack said desperately trying to sound believable. Apparently it worked.

"OK, but you can't stay here you will have to wait in the lobby until he gets here."

Jack looked over at Teal'c for help. "What kind of telescope is this, I find it fascinating that it can see things millions of kilometers away, how does it work?" Teal'c asked trying to stall the woman.

It worked, she launched into a big explanation about how it worked and how many uses it had.

Jack lost interest after the second sentence, 'Carter, she reminds me of Carter.' He thought to himself. But he had to concentrate on the task at hand, they had 10 minutes until the solar flare and they had to get her out of there before that.

"Mommy!" Jack attention was drawn to the door by the wail of a young boy. The little boy ran up the woman and buried his head into her jumper. "Mommy Sam took my chocolate bar." He wailed.

She bent down and made the child look at her. "Ryan Carter! Did you leave your sister alone downstairs? I told you to watch her, she is only a baby she could hurt herself!" The woman said shaking the boy lightly.

"Stay here." She ordered and ran out of the observatory.

The boy crossed his arms and looked over at Jack with a pout on his face. "It's all the stupid baby's fault, I wish she had never been born!"

Jack looked at the boy, he looked about eight or nine. "I'm sure she isn't that bad, I'm Jack, what's your name?" asked Jack.

"I'm Ryan and I'm going to be nine next week." He replied proudly.

"O'Neill, it is almost time." Teal'c said, drawing Jack's attention back to their task.

"Well, it was nice to meet you Ryan." Jack said and turned to Teal'c. "I already pointed it in the right direction, so all we have to do is look for it." Jack said and put on the protective glasses. He looked into the telescope.

"It should be any time now, O'Neill." Teal'c said.

"Yup, I see it, it's out there all right." Jack replied a moment later.

"Your not supposed to be looking through the telescope you know, I'm going to tell my mommy." Said Ryan and looked at Teal'c.

Jack bent down before Ryan, "Now why would you do that, all we did was look through it." Ryan just crossed his arms again and looked at him. Jack sighed, "Okay kid, how much it is gonna cost."

Ryan smiled, "$3, and your hat." He replied.

Jack nodded and gave him his hat and searched his pocket for $3. "There you go, so its our secret, right?"

Ryan nodded just as his mother returned with a chocolate covered two-year-old.

She looked over at Ryan, "Why didn't you take the chocolate off her, her new dress is ruined and its only 9.15."

The baby giggled and tried to get out of her mother's grip. She set the toddler down on the ground. The baby immediately walked over to Ryan and hit him in the face.

"Mom, Sam hit me again!" Ryan wailed.

Suddenly Jack pieced it all together. The baby was Sam! 'She hasn't changed much either.' He thought sarcastically. He looked over at Teal'c who had obviously came to the same conclusion.

The little Sam walked over to Jack and looked up at him. She must have found something very amusing about him because she started giggling.

The woman talked over and scooped the laughing child into her arms and looked at Jack. "Look I'm sorry about this but you can't be in here you have to wait in the lobby."

Jack nodded at her. "Sure we understand Mrs..."

"Carter, Lucy Carter." The woman replied.

Jack smiled at her. "Well I apologize for any trouble we've caused you Mrs. Carter, we will go now." Jack said and motioned for Teal'c to follow him to the door.

Jack turned stopped for a second, then turned to look at Lucy. "Will you tell Jacob I said hi." Her eyes went wide at this,

"Y... you know Jacob?" She stuttered.

"Yeah, he served under me in... some highly classified place." Jack replied.

Lucy looked confused, but Jack decided to leave now before she tried to ask him now he really knew her husband.



@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@



Jack stared into the open fire. He couldn't help but smile, 'How many people can say they have seen a two year old Samantha Carter covered in chocolate?' Jack thought, chuckling to himself.

"What's so funny, sir?" Sam asked innocently as she sat down beside him.

"Ah well Carter, I'll tell you when you're a bit older." Jack said with a smile.

Sam smiled back at him, "You're never going to let me live this down are you?"

Jack laughed out loud. "Nope! Well at least not until I get something new to nag Daniel about."

Now it was Sam's turn to laugh. "Well sir, I'll have to find some embarrassing baby photo's of you to even up the score."

Jack chuckled, "I donut know if there are any I haven't destroyed."

When Sam looked at him curiously he continued. "Well you see, my mother had this habit that whenever we had guests over at the house she would take out our baby pictures. By the time I was 14 it was really beginning to get in the way of my social life, nearly everyone in the town had seen my baby photo's. So my brother and I raided her room and destroyed every baby photo we could get our hands on. Of course when our mother found out she was furious and she tanned our asses." Jack looked over at Sam who was in fits of laughter.

Once she had stopped laughing and caught her breath she looked up at Jack who was just staring at her. "Sir, are you okay?" She asked.

Jack shook his head breaking out of his trance. "I'm fine and call me Jack, we are not really on duty."

Sam nodded.

Jack took a deep breath, 'Go for it man.' He thought to himself. "It's just that you look beautiful out of uniform, laughing suites you." He said quietly and lifted his hand to trace her bottom lip with his thumb. He thought he felt her lean in briefly.

But as usual Daniel, with the worst timing in the universe makes his appearance and we both jump apart. "Hey guys are you coming we only have until 6 pm tomorrow."

"Yeah Danny, just give is a second okay." Daniel nodded and make his way back to the van.

Jack put his arm around Sam's shoulders and looked into her eyes. "Well Sam

all I wanted to tell you was that you where a really cute baby." Jack said and stood up. Sam looked up at Jack and smiled. "You haven't changed a bit you know, still as bossy as ever!" He said and made his way to the van.



The End!