samandjack.net

Story Notes: FEEDBACK; MBIRKY@HOTMAIL.COM

SPOILER; IN THE LINE OF DUTY, FAIR GAME (WELL OBVIOUSLY!)

RATING; PG

ARCHIVE; SAM AND JACK PLEASE

AUTHOR'S NOTES; this is in reply to the fair game challenge. apologies if i got the back story wrong, i haven't seen the episode yet.


I clipped the pips onto her epalautte, and sneaked a quick glance at her. She looked so proud, so upright and military. The perfect soldier. Problem

was, that smile playing round her lips made her look so young. Much too young to be a major. Hell, by the time I was major, I was a lot older, and looked it.

She wasn't the only one feeling proud. Ever since I'd first heard she'd been promoted, I'd been pleased as hell. I walked around with a big grin on my face for at least an hour. I was even more pleased than when Kawalsky got it. Hell, I'd been proud of Kawalsky too, but she... well, for a start, she'd had to work harder for it. She'd had to overcome a lot of prejudice against women in the armed forces - some of it I admit, coming from me.

Well can you blame me? She looked so fragile. How was I to know she could flatten a man three times her size in five minutes flat... unarmed. And she's had to overcome my own personal prejudice against scientists... mostly by using that way-more-intelligent-than-mine brain of hers to save my butt, more than once. She'd overcome both prejudices brilliantly. I was very impressed.

So impressed in fact, that it had been me who'd recommended her for a promotion. I'd been pushing it for a couple of months (not that she knew that) and Hammond was all for it - but he wasn't the only one who made the decisions. I'd pointed out though, in a long and amazingly well-written report (well, well-written for me, that is. I hate paperwork.) all she had given SGC. She'd almost died, on several occasions. She'd consistently ignored danger to herself to help others, even total strangers. She'd given up her dream of becoming an astronaut. She'd lied to her father - and saved him. She'd even become host to an alien, and accepted that that alien had become a part of her and put up with her new... skills... better than I could have done. Hell, she coped with it far better than I did... and I just had to watch her go through it.

She really deserved this promotion - far more than I had done. All I'd done to become Major was survive nine days in the Iraqi desert with a fractured skull. She'd had to survive two and a half years of ME - far more scary any day.

I'm aware that Daniel and Teal'c are watching us. Teal'c looks as overjoyed as he can do. He's immensely proud of Sam, almost as much as me. Daniel (doesn't that man own ONE tie!) is smiling at his friend, happy because she is. Hammond looks like a proud dad on prize-giving day at school. But I know this is my moment. Hammond's here, but I worked for this, and achieved it for her.

As I pin the pips on, and see her trying to hold back that smile I know and love, I know that this is OUR moment. She's MY captain - major now, and I'M rewarding her for all the saved lives, shared moments, secret understanding, silent comfort and private jokes. This is all the reward I dare give her for the two and a half years of her life that she has gladly given to me. She knows now how much I've come to respect her, and if she could see the look in my eyes, she would know how much I've come to care for her.

This is my thank-you, Major Carter.



xxxxx
The End.