samandjack.net

Story Notes: EMAIL: amariedixon@yahoo.com

WARNINGS: Some language, violent scenes

ARCHIVE: SJA and Heliopolis. Others please ask.

FEEDBACK: Yes, pleeeeaaaaassssse, feeeeeeeedbaaccccckkk. No flames though because it is only my second attempt at fic all by myself.

SPOILERS: 100 days, Jolinars Memories (I think that’s all)

AUTHORS NOTES: Well guys, this little gem has been sitting on my computer since February so I thought it was about time I finished it and posted. It’s only my second attempt at solo fic writing so I hope you enjoy it. HUGE thanks and many hugs to Linz and Stu, Flo, Alex, Mel and Sonya for all their help, support and encouragement. Thanks to all the guys in the chat room and on AIM, you’re the best. And I really cannot thank my wonderful beta reader Dustdevil enough for all her help. Her support, encouragement and excellent ideas were invaluable and without her this would never have been written.


Sam Carter was sitting in her lab, head buried in her hands. She just hated this. She had completely exhausted herself for three months after her commanding officer had got stuck on the planet Adorra, worked herself into the ground to get him back and had he said thanks?...Of course not. At this stage she didn’t think that word was in his vocabulary.

And as if that wasn’t bad enough, he’d obviously gotten terribly friendly with one of the locals...Did a lot for interplanetary relations so to speak. Oh, she detested Jack O’Neill right now. No she didn’t, she loved him...sort of...Hell, she didn’t have a clue. All she knew was that while he was away she missed him, so very badly. And now every time they were together there was this tension, because now she knew...knew he didn’t care.

"Major Carter."

"Lieutenant Simmons, come in," Sam replied, seeing Graham Simmons standing in the doorway. He was nervous and flustered and Sam smiled. She knew he had a crush on her...a great big crush.

"Major, I was wondering...that is to say that...I was thinking maybe..."

"Yes, Lieutenant?"

"Well, I was just wondering if maybe you’d like to come for a cup of coffee with me later on tonight. It’s just that...ah...I’m sorry Major, I’m sure you don’t want to..."

"I’d like that," Sam replied simply. It was wrong, she knew. She liked Graham Simmons but not that way. But goddammit, it beat sitting here, brooding over Jack and what she could never have.

Simmons face broke into a huge grin.

"Really...really...wow? I...I’ll pick you up at eight".

"See you then, Lieutenant" replied Sam and returned to her work.




*********************************************************************




She’d enjoyed the evening with Graham. It was pleasant and she enjoyed his company, but she still couldn’t stop thinking about Jack. Damn that man.

"Ah, Sam, we’re here". His voice shook her out of her daydream of Jack and she realised she was home.

"Oh, thanks Graham. Well, thank you for a lovely evening and for walking me home. Guess, I’ll see you tomorrow".

"Don’t I get to come in?" he asked, looking confused.

Sam was surprised and uneasy at his forwardness. Where was the shy, quiet Lieutenant Simmons from the SGC, the one who could hardly say two words to her without stuttering awkwardly?

"You know, I’m kinda tired so...tomorrow, O.K." she said, turning the key in the lock.

Suddenly she felt his hand on her shoulder, spinning her around and his lips pressing hard against hers. She struggled and managed to push him away, shock evident in her crystal blue eyes.

"What the hell are you..." she began before his lips came down on hers again. Using all her strength she shoved him away from her, fear building slowly inside her.

"Lieutenant! You are out of order, now please leave".

"I don’t want to go Sam...and I know you want me to go either," he challenged as he moved closer to her again, "You’ve been coming on to me all night".

"What the *hell * are you talking about!" Sam yelled, frightened. This was not the Graham Simmons she knew and this guy was scaring the hell out of her. "Look, I don’t know what you thought but...but, we’re just friends, that’s all, O.K?" she asked nervously.

"I know you want me Sam," he said, his face contorted into a sneer "I know you do." And with that he turned and walked away, whistling to himself as if nothing had happened.

Sam opened the door and locked it behind her. Her heart was thumping as she rested her head against the doorframe. What the *hell * had just happened?




*********************************************************************




It had been two months since her run-in with Graham Simmons and Sam had done everything possible to avoid him. She hadn’t told anyone about what had happened. Who’d believe it anyway; shy, timid Graham Simmons acting like a wild animal? So she decided to put it behind her, forget about it and yet every time she saw him he would stare at her, a contorted grin on his face. Sam didn’t like it one bit.

"Carter! Hey Carter! You still with us? I said dial it up!" Jack shouted to his 2IC, a little worried when she didn’t answer him. She seemed so pre-occupied lately.

"Sorry sir," Sam replied quickly as she began to dial up the co-ordinates of Earth.

"In another world, eh?" Jack said grinning at the pun. But there was no smile from Sam, no laughing crystal blue eyes, nothing.

"Guess so, Colonel. Sorry," Sam replied weakly, walking towards the shimmering blue light of the Stargate with Daniel.

Jack shook his head sadly. He wanted the old Carter back. His Carter.




*********************************************************************




"Welcome back SG-1".

"Thank you, general," Jack responded, taking off his baseball cap and running his hand over his short hair.

"I trust all went well?" the general asked.

"Well, sir, no Goa’uld, no crazy tribes, no kidnappings, no shootings and Daniel is still alive, so all in all I’d say it went well," Jack replied with a smirk.

"Debriefing is in two hours, you’re dismissed until then," General Hammond said with a smile, knowing his team would be eager to freshen up before recounting the events of their latest mission.

As the team left the gateroom, Jack noticed Sam struggling to take off her backpack.

"Here Carter, let me help," he offered.

"Thanks sir," she replied. As their eyes met for a moment, Jack gasped silently. There was no spark, no life, her eyes were just filled with pain...and he knew he was the cause. Her eyes darted from his for a moment to look toward the control room and suddenly she turned abruptly and left the gateroom. Jack turned to the control room and saw no-one but Graham Simmons. Shrugging, he followed her out, not seeing the dark look pass over Simmons eyes.

‘So Samantha Carter thinks she can lead me on and then cast me aside when someone better comes along,’ Simmons thought. ‘Well, we’ll see about that.’




*********************************************************************




"So long, Daniel" Sam laughed into the phone. "And thanks for worrying about me, but I’m fine, really I am. Yes honestly. O.K. See you tomorrow. Bye."

Sam smiled for a moment as she hung up the phone. Daniel was sweet, like a brother, always looking out for her. He’d noticed that she was quieter than usual and wanted to make sure she was alright. It was true, she was quieter than normal but only because she had a lot on her mind. This Graham Simmons thing was freaking her out and she was still trying to work through her feelings for her commanding officer. ‘Life’s a bitch,’ she thought silently before getting up to switch on the T.V., only to be interrupted by the shrill ringing of the telephone. Smiling she picked up the receiver guessing Daniel had forgotten to tell her something.

"Hello?" Sam said waiting for Daniel’s voice to start babbling on about something or other. But there was silence. "Hello?" she said again. Once again, nothing and shrugging she hung up the phone and turned back to the T.V. No sooner had she hung up the phone than it rang again. "Hello...Daniel is that you? Hello, is anyone there?" The voice on the other end was menacing.

"I’m watching you."

Sam recoiled in horror, slamming the phone down. She ran to the door to make sure it was locked, then calmed down. ‘Probably just some kid playing a prank,’ she thought - a thought that was quickly shattered when the phone rang again. Shaking, she picked it up.

"You can’t get away from me Samantha...You’re mine."

"Who the hell is this?" Sam shouted into the phone, only to hear a twisted laugh and the click of the phone hanging up. How did he know her name...what the hell was going on? The phone rang again and Sam immediately grabbed the receiver

"Leave me alone!" she yelled.

"Never. You’re mine," the voice replied.




*********************************************************************




"So Major, what were the results of the tests you ran on those mineral samples SG-6 brought back from PP4577? Major?"

"Hello, Carter," Jack interrupted General Hammond, waving his hand in front of Sam’s eyes.

"What? Oh, sorry sirs, I was miles away...I...uh...haven’t had a chance to analyse them in detail yet sir. With your permission, I’ll begin right away."

"Very well, Major" Hammond said, eyeing Sam suspiciously. It was unlike her to be so unenthusiastic about her work. "Dismissed."

Sam left the briefing room and made her way towards her lab. She’d hardly had any sleep the past few nights. He kept ringing her, said he was watching her, said she was his, until she couldn’t take any more and disconnected the phone. But even then all she did was sit on her sofa, all the lights on, jumping at every little sound. Damnit, this jerk wasn’t gonna get the better of her, whoever the hell he was. She was so caught up in her own thoughts that she never heard the footsteps coming up behind her and the hand on her shoulder startled her, making her yelp and turn sharply.

"Woah, Sam!"

"God Daniel, I’m sorry," Sam said, embarrassed at her complete over-reaction.

"Sam, you alright? Is there something wrong?"

"Nothing Daniel, really, I’m just a little tired is all," she replied, opening the door of her lab, followed closely by her friend.

"Are you sure, you haven’t really been yourself the last while."

Sam smiled weakly at him "Daniel, really, I’m fine. You don’t have to..." she broke off noticing the letter addressed simply ‘Samantha’. Hands trembling, she reached out and opened it. Her stomach tightened and she paled as she read the words.

‘Samantha. You can’t escape. You’re mine and we *will * be together. I’m watching’.

"Damnit!" she shouted sinking into her chair, tears welling in her eyes.

"Sam? Sam, what is it?"

Sam just let the letter flutter from her grasp onto the table where it was immediately snatched up by one very worried Daniel.

"Jesus, Sam" he said, his brow furrowing. "This is sick. Who the hell is sending you these things?"

"Well, if I knew *that *, I wouldn’t..."

"I’m sorry Sam, stupid question" Daniel interrupted.

"It’s not just letters Daniel" she whispered. "I’ve been getting these calls, every night. I...I even disconnect the phone for a while but as soon as I plugged it back in, he started ringing again. God, it’s as if he knows exactly what I’m doing. And now these damn letters have started coming...I don’t know what to do".

"Well, we’re calling the cops for a starters..."

"I already tried that Daniel. They said they couldn’t do anything, not really. They’ll keep track of the calls but that’s about all they can do, damn jerk never stays on the phone long enough for them to catch him though."

"Sam," Daniel began, moving to put an arm around his friend. "This can’t go on, we’ll put a stop to it."

"What can you do Daniel? What can anyone do?"

"O.K., let’s go over it again. Where have you found the letters?" Daniel began, struggling to make sense of this. Who could do this to his friend?

"Well, there was one slipped under my door and one here in the lab ...Oh my God Daniel, it’s someone here at the SGC, it has to be. How else could they have access?"

"But who?"

"I don’t know...Simmons!" she yelled suddenly, realisation hitting her like a sharp slap in the face.

"Simmons?" Daniel questioned, his brow furrowed.

"A couple of months ago, I had a run in with him, but nothing that serious. We went out for coffee, he walked me home and then...then...well he tried to kiss me and I told him no but he tried again, said I was coming onto him all night and that I *wanted* him."

"Oh God, Sam, what happened then?" Daniel asked, concern evident in his blue eyes.

"Nothing really, he’s been looking at me funny ever since but that’s about it."

"Well, I think I’m gonna pay this jerk a visit and..."

Sam smiled weakly at her normally placid friend’s attempts to protect her and put her hand on his arm. "Thanks Daniel but I could be wrong, hell we have no proof it’s him...I just have this feeling." Her face suddenly became darker. "Daniel you have to promise me something...promise you won’t tell Colonel O’ Neill."

"Tell Colonel O’ Neill what?" the familiar voice said from the doorway.

"Jack!" Daniel almost shouted, pulling his arm away from Sam.

"Daniel, Carter...Tell me what?" Jack said his brow creased in a frown, a funny feeling rising in the pit of his stomach. Sam had been crying, he could tell and Daniel was definitely comforting her, so they had better tell him. He was damned if he was gonna stand by and let someone upset one of his best friends.

"Nothing sir, really. I’m fine...tired is all. Well, gotta go get those mineral samples sorted, I...I’ll see you guys around."

"Ah, hang on Sam, I’ll walk with you."

And with that, they were gone, leaving Jack standing in the doorway, mouth open, wondering what the hell was going on. Why wouldn’t she talk to him, tell him what was wrong. O.K., since he’d come back from Adorra, things had been a little strained between them, but recently they’d been getting better, right? Obviously not. Well, he was gonna get to the bottom of this...and fast. No-one upset Sam and got away with it.




*****************




Sam sat alone in her living room, T.V. blaring, lights on. Daniel said he’d come around later and stay with her so she wouldn’t be alone. He was great. Her mind wandered back to Jack. He’d looked so concerned standing in the doorway of the lab today. He really wanted to know why she was so upset but she couldn’t tell him...didn’t want him to know. It was so hard, she felt she had to keep this brave exterior up around him when all she wanted to do was hold him close and never let go. The sharp ringing of the doorbell shook her from her thoughts and cautiously she looked through the peephole, gasping slightly when she realised it was Jack.

"Colonel," she said, opening the door and indicating for him to come in.

"Hey, Carter" he began, making his way to the sofa and sitting down. Sam shut the door and took a seat next to him, fiddling nervously with her hands, refusing to meet the concern in his deep brown eyes.

"Sam," he said simply, making her glance at him. "God, Sam, what the hell is going on?"

"Nothing sir, I just...I’m fine."

"The hell you are, Major," Jack said in his firm military tone, before softening again. "For cryin’ out loud Sam, why can’t you tell me what’s wrong? I just wanna help."

"I know sir, but you can’t...not at the moment, it’s complicated, I..." she began, interrupted by the shrill sound of the doorbell ringing. She breathed a small sigh of relief and went to answer the door, saved by the proverbial bell.

"Graham!" she gasped, a knot of fear forming in her stomach. "What are you doing here?"

"Am I early?" Simmons said innocently, walking in past her. "Ah, good evening Colonel."

"Lieutenant," Jack nodded, his brow creasing into a frown. What was going on? Why was Simmons over here, at Sam’s house? And she called him Graham. Jack felt something stir inside him...could it be...she was seeing this guy...this jerk.

Simmons made his way to the couch and sat down, smiling sweetly in Jack’s direction. Jack could feel his hands clench into fists at his sides and knew that if he didn’t get out of here he was gonna punch this guy right in the nose. Hell, he was jealous, he had to admit it.

"Well Carter, don’t let me keep you," he said a little harsher than he meant to.

"Colonel, stay, you only just got here," Sam asked, her eyes pleading with him not to leave her.

"No Carter, I can’t, I gotta go." He couldn’t do it...couldn’t watch the two of them together, he had to get out. "Goodnight, Simmons," he said curtly before turning and making his way to the door, followed closely by Sam.

"Sir, please stay," she implored, God, if only he knew, if only she could tell him. He just shook his head.

"I can’t, I’m sorry," he said with a half-hearted smile and with that he was gone. She was alone...with Simmons.

Sam never moved from the door, holding it wide open. "I want you *out * of my house right now!"

"But Samantha, I know you don’t mean that," he leered, a contorted grin on his face.

"Oh yes I do!" she replied fiercely.

"Sam...Samantha, I know you need protection. I’ve heard that you’ve been getting some phone calls and letters and such. It’s just not a safe world anymore," he began, walking up till he was right in front of her.

"I’ll get you for this Simmons, you bastard."

"Get me for what?" he asked innocently.

"Out! Now!" she yelled, "And stay the hell away from me or you’ll be damn sorry!"

Smiling evilly he put a hand on her cheek. "I’ll be in touch," he said simply before turning and walking out the door, grinning to himself. He had gotten rid of Jack O’ Neill for now...but for how long?

Sam slammed the door behind him before giving it a good kick...damnit but this little jerk was *not* gonna upset her...She *would* get him. He was not gonna get away with this.




*********************************************************************




Jack sat staring at the wall in his office, contemplating the events of the night before. Simmons and Sam – God it made him so mad...but why? I mean, she was entitled to date people right? Then why was he feeling this way? Just the thought of them together made his blood boil, Simmons’ hands all over her, kissing her. It was his own fault though, and he knew it...if it hadn’t been for those damn three months on Adorra...maybe she wouldn’t be with that smarmy...

"Sir...Sir, can we talk?" the familiar voice asked, interrupting Jack’s mental image of beating the crap out of Simmons.

"Uh, I’m kinda busy right now, Carter" he began, glancing up at her. Her hair was tousled and the dark circles under her eyes indicated a clear lack of sleep. ‘Damn, that sonofabitch obviously ‘kept her up’ all night,’ Jack thought, white hot rage coursing through his veins.

"Please sir, it’s important, it’s about last night..."

"Carter, it’s *none * of my business" he said curtly.

"Sir, there really is something I have to tell you. It’s...it’s hard for me...I wanted to tell you sooner, but..." she stammered before a rap on the door interrupted them.

"Sorry Colonel O’ Neill, but General Hammond would like a word, sir," the young airman said.

"Thank you airman," Jack replied, standing up to leave.

"Sir, please, I have to..." Sam began before Jack interrupted her.

"Look Carter, what you do with your personal life is nothing to do with me, now I have to go and meet the General," he said harshly before walking out on her yet again.

As she sat alone in his office, the tears slid slowly down her face. This was like one of those horrible nightmares you can’t wake up from...only this nightmare was real.




*********************************************************************




The meeting with General Hammond had been a short one and as Jack made his way back to his office, thoughts of Sam flooded his mind. He had been a bit harsh with her. Maybe he should have listened...this really was *not* like him.

"Good afternoon, Colonel O’ Neill."

"Simmons," Jack replied curtly walking straight past him without a second glance.

"Colonel, I just wanted to say thanks for not saying anything about Sam and me to anyone."

"Save it, Simmons," Jack began, turning to face the cocky Lieutenant.

"It’s just that, Sam and I, well, we’re truly happy. You know Colonel, she really is the best...and I mean at everything," Simmons said, smirking at Jack.

"Jesus, Simmons!" Jack interrupted, rage consuming him again. "Don’t you dare talk about Carter like that."

Simmons sneered back at him, knowing he’d hit just the right nerve. "Sorry Colonel, you’re absolutely right. Well, best be off, don’t wanna keep Sam waiting...She hates that."

Jack watched as Simmons sauntered off down the corridor and struggled to control the urge he was having to run after him and wipe that smile off his face. He was well and truly rubbing Jack’s nose in it, giving him a taste of what could have been...and he was bloody well doing a good job at it too.

"Bastard," Jack muttered under his breath as he turned and continued on to his office.




*********************************************************************




"And if *you * don’t quit ringing me Simmons, I will personally kick your ass, I swear it!" Sam yelled into the phone before slamming it down and collapsing on the couch. He’d been ringing every half hour since she got home and neither pleas nor threats of extreme violence seemed to sway him and on top of it all, stubborn, pig-headed Jack O’ Neill wouldn’t even listen to her. She felt angry and scared at the same time. When was this gonna stop, it couldn’t go on forever...right? The shrill sound of the doorbell ringing broke into her thoughts and she cautiously made her way over to it, checking the peephole and frowning when she saw who it was. ‘This jerk never gives up,’ she thought.

"Get lost right now Simmons!" she yelled without even opening the door.

"Sam, let me in...please," he begged. "I’m so sorry about everything, I have to explain...I didn’t mean..."

"I said get lost right now!" she yelled again, placing the chain on the door and opening it just a crack. It was all he needed. The door suddenly shot open, knocking Sam backwards. Before she could utter a word he stormed in and struck her hard across the face with the butt of the gun he carried in his hand. Stunned Sam fell to the floor, blood dripping from the gash on her face.

"You crazy bastard! Get out of my house right..." she began before he grabbed her up from the floor and held her fast.

"Oh, I’ll go, Samantha" he sneered. "But you’re coming with me."

Sam shook her head slightly and bringing her knee up she tried to hit him where it would hurt most but he anticipated her action and moved slightly, rage passing over his face.

"Bitch," he snarled before throwing her hard against the wall. The thump was deafening and a glazed look passed over Sam’s face before she slid unconscious onto the floor.




*********************************************************************




Jack sat in his office, a glass of whiskey in one hand and the telephone in the other. He needed to talk to Sam. His behaviour had been terrible earlier and guilt was seeping through his jealous feelings.

"Hello?" the calm masculine voice said on the other end.

A frown creased Jack’s forehead. "Who is this?" he asked, confused.

"Colonel O’ Neill, is that you? It’s Graham Simmons sir."

The knot began to grow in the pit of Jack’s stomach as all those jealous feelings came rushing back. "I want to talk to Sam, Simmons, put her on."

"Sorry Colonel, I’m afraid she’s...she’s otherwise engaged. You know how long women take to get ready...Hey, can I give her a message for ya?"

"Don’t bother, Simmons," Jack almost shouted as he put the phone down.

"Wow, I wouldn’t like to be the person on the other end of that phone" Daniel said from the doorway of Jack’s office. "Something going on I should know about?"

"No," Jack said as he downed the whiskey in one big gulp.

"You know Jack, somehow I think you might be lying," Daniel said with a frown as he took a seat. "C’mon, you can tell me."

"It’s this whole Sam and Simmons thing," Jack said with a sneer.

Daniel gasped slightly, a shocked look crossing his face, "She told you...but she asked me not to...I mean..."

"You knew! You knew and you never told me? Thanks a bunch, Daniel" Jack said getting angrier by the minute. "Well, you’ll be glad to know they’re getting on just peachy, have a hot date tonight by all accounts...what?" Jack asked seeing the confused look on Daniel’s face.

"What the hell are you talking about, Jack?"

"I’m talking about my 2IC dating that smarmy sonofabitch Graham Simmons. I just rang to talk to her and he answered the phone, telling me all about how he was taking her out..."

"Jesus, he’s at her house?" Daniel yelled, jumping up.

"Yeah, so..."

"Jack, he’s not dating her...he’s stalking her, harassing her!" Daniel shouted, watching the colour drain from Jack’s face as the truth sank in.

"She’s alone with him," Jack mumbled standing up, "I have to get there." In a split-second Jack had bolted from the room and was running down the corridor.

"Jack, wait for me," Daniel cried running after him. "I’m gonna get Teal’c and we are *all* gonna go."




****************************




As soon as the car had screeched to a halt, the three men jumped out, Jack running ahead of his friends, desperate to get to Sam. He stopped suddenly when he saw the open door, splintered where Simmons had kicked it.

"Oh my God," Daniel uttered, walking in to the house.

"Sam! Sam!" Jack shouted, running from room to room.

"Major Carter!" Teal’c shouted, worry evident in his usually monotone voice.

"Jack, I think you better see this," Daniel said from where he was crouching by the wall. His voice wavered slightly and Jack felt his stomach tighten.

"Oh God," Jack gasped as he crouched next to his friend, looking at the little pool of blood on the floor. "What the hell has he done to her? Jesus, Daniel, we have to find her," Jack said in a whisper, gripping his friends arm as sheer terror overtook him. Terrible images flashed through his mind and he closed his eyes. He had to find her...he had to.




*********************************************************************




"Jack, take it easy...you’ll wear a hole in the floor. Sit down will ya?" Daniel said to his friend. Jack just kept pacing the floor as if he hadn’t heard a word. His mind was a whirr. If only he’d listened. If only he hadn’t been so pigheaded and jealous...he’d never have left her alone if he’d known...this was his fault.

"Jack!" Daniel yelled.

"Sorry, what?" Jack answered.

"The cops are here now Jack, they’ll find her."

Jack looked around Sam’s house at the police busying themselves with samples of blood and fingerprints. They weren’t doing a damn thing. She’d been missing over an hour now and God knows what he was doing to her...or what he’d already done. Jack closed his eyes as the awful images came flooding back to him. He felt like he was going insane.

"O’ Neill, will you not sit?" Teal’c asked.

"I *have* to find her" Jack said, talking more to himself than the others, "I have to."

"Excuse me," one of the policemen interrupted, "But we’ve just found this note on the Major’s bed. It’s addressed to Colonel Jack O’ Neill."

He had barely said the words when Jack snatched the note from his hands and began reading, Daniel and Teal’c looking over his shoulder, desperate for some clue as to where their friend had been taken.

‘O’ Neill. I have left something at your house...Go now.’

Scrunching the note in his hand, Jack ran out the door followed by Daniel, Teal’c.




*********************************************************************




The drive to his house had never taken so long. The feeling of sheer terror was making him feel nauseous and he had no idea what to expect when he arrived. Pulling into his driveway, Jack was out of the car before Daniel had even stopped it, desperate to know what Simmons had left there. As he ran up to his front door, the sight of a small piece of clothing with a note attached stopped him. It was a blue cardigan belonging to Sam...he remembered her wearing it on downtime before, but it seemed to be covered in deep red blotches...blood...her blood. Jack bent down to pick it up and slowly opened the attached note, his hand shaking with rage and fear.

‘O’ Neill. Do you like my present? She is mine now...I have made her mine, and you will never see her again.’

Jack felt the hand on his shoulder, felt the note and cardigan being taken out of his hand and felt himself being led inside. ‘How can this be happening?’ he thought over and over. ‘How the *hell * can this be happening?’




*********************************************************************




It had been two hours since they’d found Simmon’s little... ‘present’ and Jack had never felt so completely powerless in all his life. He tapped the table in front of him, the sheer frustration he was feeling written all over his face...if only he knew where she was, if only he could help her... The cops were searching his house, searching Sam’s house, running background checks on Simmons and yet no-one seemed any closer to finding her.

The three friends stood immediately as the tall, dark haired policeman in charge of the investigation entered the room.

"Please tell me you’ve found something Sergeant Siler" Jack said quietly, a hint of fear in his voice.

"Got a background on our guy...looks like he had a pretty rough childhood, could explain why he’s acting out like this..." Siler began.

"I couldn’t give a rats ass about his childhood" Jack interjected sharply "what about Major Carter? Do we maybe have any leads on where she might be...or will we just have a counselling session for poor Graham". His sarcasm was the only way Jack knew how to deal with what was going on, a front to hide how petrified he really was for Sam.

"Jack, take it easy," Daniel offered, placing a hand on Jack’s arm to steady him. "Sorry Sergeant, you were saying".

"Well, judging by this file we just received, he owns a house about 2 miles from here" the officer said, handing Jack the file "sent a couple of our guys down there but wouldn’t expect to find much, don’t think he’d be stupid enough to take her there. There is another address, a house his mother used to own, it’s pretty far out of town but we’re gonna send a car there as well" the Sergeant explained.

Jack glanced down at the two addresses, a fierce determination welling "I’m going too" he began, stopping as Siler shook his head.

"Colonel O’ Neill, I really don’t think it would be a very good idea for you to..."

"I’m going and that is final!" Jack yelled, shoving the file into the burly Sergeant’s hands.

"I’m sorry Colonel, but it’s not an option. It’s best if you stay here in case there’s any news and I’m sure we’ll..." he began, stopping as Jack swore vehemently under his breath, stormed out of the room and outside onto his attached veranda.

Daniel breathed a small sigh and looked from Teal’c to the Sergeant "probably best to let him cool off".




*********************************************************************




Jack sat silently on the veranda, breathing in the cool, refreshing evening air. His mind was racing. Damn that snot-nosed cop. How dare he order Jack to stay here when Sam needed him. Here, here he was useless, at least if he could go with them he’d be...

"McGuirk, time to go" the voice of a young officer Dickson could be heard from the front of the house, interjecting into Jack’s private thoughts "Sarge wants us to check out the mothers place...waste of time if you ask me but..."

"Sarge has spoken" laughed McGuirk "best get a move on".

Jack frowned as he heard the police car pull away from the house, anger welling inside him. These cops couldn’t give a shit where Sam was and damnit he was sick of it. There was only one thing for it...he was gonna look for her himself and thanks to Sergeant Siler, he knew exactly where to start. Slipping silently from the veranda, Jack made his way effortlessly to the front his house and slid into his car. As he pulled unnoticed from the driveway, determination welled inside him...he was gonna find her and he damn well wouldn’t stop looking until he did.




*********************************************************************




The first thing that hit Sam as her eyes fluttered open was that she was moving and that the car reeked of stale alcohol and cigarettes. She hurt like hell, especially her head and she had only hazy memories of what had happened...Simmons...Simmons had taken her. Her eyes opened a little wider and she realised she had been thrown onto the back seat of his car, her hands bound roughly. Music was blaring and she could see Simmons was driving the car, taking huge swigs from a hip flask...he hadn’t even noticed she was awake and seemed to be paying more attention to the drink than to his prisoner.

Although an inky blackness had fallen outside, Sam managed to make out a shape lying on the floor...It was a mobile phone, obviously the one he had been using to call her. She reached her bound hands down and picked it up, a blurred, hazy memory coming back to her as she held it. All she had was a vague recollection of being at Jack’s house and Simmons ripping her cardigan from her, telling her she would never see ‘loverboy’ again.

Hands shaking she silently dialled the digits, praying he’d hear...someone had to hear.




*********************************************************************




Daniel sat in Jack’s lounge, glasses strewn on the table in front of him, rubbing his eyes furiously, "God, I just can’t believe this is happening" he said aloud, stopping Teal’c’s pacing "I mean...I just...God, I hope she’s alright".

"I concur Daniel Jackson" replied the jaffa, his normally expressionless face betraying the worry he felt "but Major Carter is a strong warrior".

"I know Teal’c and I know the police are doing their best but it just seems like..." Daniel began when the shrill ringing of the telephone interrupted him.

"This is Jack O’ Neill, you know what you to do" the answering machine interjected almost immediately. What Daniel and Teal’c had not expected was the shallow, ragged breathing on the other end of the line.

"Jack, help me". It was barely audible, barely a whisper, but it was Sam, it was definitely her. Daniel and Teal’c stared at each other, wide-eyed before Daniel lunged for the phone, snatching up the receiver. "Sam...Sam...I’m here, can you hear me...Sam!" he shouted but was met with only a loud thump then nothing but ear-splitting music.

"Daniel Jackson, was not that Major Carter, what has happened?" Teal’c asked worriedly.

"I don’t know Teal’c...I don’t know, I heard her voice, picked up the phone, there was a thump and now there’s nothing but music...nothing bu...wait...wait a second", Daniel began as it slowly began to sink in "I can hear music...the phone’s still on!"

"I do not understand Daniel Jackson" Teal’c said, his face taking on a slightly confused look, his head tilted to one side "how will this help us locate Major Carter?"

"We can trace it" Daniel cried, waving an arm enthusiastically "we can trace *them *. Don’t you see, the cops can start a trace...we can find her".

"I will summon them and O’ Neill immediately" Teal’c offered before leaving the find Sergeant Siler.




*********************************************************************




Sam’s eyes fluttered open and she desperately struggled to make sense of the blurry images around her. She realised she must have passed out again and as her eyes began to focus, she realised she was in a small wooden room. The bed she lay on was hard and uncomfortable and both her hands and feet were bound. Her head felt as if it was about to explode and all she could think of was Jack - had he heard her, was he gonna come...He had to come.

"Sam," his voice was soft, a low whisper but it still managed to send a shiver through her.

"Simmons, please...you can’t do this, you’ll never get away with it."

"Shhhh, Sam" he whispered walking from the door to sit on the bed next to her. He lowered his head and kissed her cheek making her cringe and pull away. "I’ve got something special planned for us tonight – it’s going to be wonderful," he whispered. "Get some rest now, I’ll be back."

"Graham...Graham...Simmons!" she yelled as he walked out the door. Her head was swimming and she felt nauseous as thoughts of what he had in store for her flashed through her mind...she had to get out of here...and fast.




*********************************************************************




"It’s a mobile phone," the young officer Stasiak said turning to Daniel. "Relatively easy to trace where the call is coming from. See here, this blip on the screen is the mobile phone. It’s emitting a signal that our tracking system can pick up and we know exactly where it is...just hope she’s with it."

Daniel nodded before turning to Teal’c "damnit, where the *hell * is Jack!" he spluttered angrily "he should be here"

"I have searched for him Daniel Jackson, but his car has been removed from the driveway and he appears to be nowhere in the vicinity" Teal’c offered.

"He’s gone looking for Sam is where he is" Daniel replied shaking his head "if only he’d waited...at least he’d have a better chance of..."

"Excuse me Dr. Jackson" a tall female officer called Bouchez interrupted, leading Daniel toward the screen "could you come here a moment".

"It’s not moving anymore" Daniel said pointing to the blip at the screen. "Why is that?"

"All the time we’ve been monitoring it, it’s been steadily moving northwards but it’s been stationary for the past few minutes...Our guess is he’s reached wherever he’s taking her so now we’re just waiting for HQ to come up with a location for us," Stasiak answered.

The machine suddenly whirred to life and the policeman studied the screen intently before turning to them with a slight smile "We got it," she said simply. "Staisak, radio McGuirk and Dickson and call them back, tell them to meet us at this address...let’s get this jerk".




*******************




"Graham...Graham! Come here, quickly!" Sam shouted with as much strength as she could muster. She had been trying to formulate a plan but all she could come up with was get out and get out now. She prayed this would work.

"Sam...what is it? Are you alright?" Simmons asked sounding concerned and making his way straight to her side as she lay on the bed.

‘Funny,’ thought Sam, ‘You didn’t mind throwing me off

the wall a few hours ago.’ Looking him straight in the eye, Sam put on her most innocent looking face. "Graham, my hands are really hurting me in these ropes...could you loosen them a bit for me...please?"

Simmons smiled that awfully sinister grin he seemed to have acquired recently and shook his head, "Sorry Sam but I don’t want you using those wonderful little hands to attack me and escape."

Sam would just have to play along. She knew he’d never be so gullible as to free her hands but he might just fall for plan B. "I understand, Graham," she said, reaching up and gently stroking his face with her bound hands, "But could you untie my feet...I mean, I can’t run anywhere can I? And anyway, I wouldn’t want to run...I realise I was wrong, Graham," she said, continuously stroking his face. He turned his head into her hand and kissed her palm gently.

"I’m glad Sam," he said. She smiled innocently at him and nodded.

"Me too, Graham," she answered with a flutter of her eyelashes. God she was even making herself feel nauseous...but it was working. He got up and began to loosen the bonds around her feet.

"We’re going to be together forever, Sam," he began as the ropes fell from around her ankles "I’m so glad you feel the..." The thump was deafening as Sam kicked him straight into the face, knocking him backwards. She was off the bed in a second and kicked him hard in the stomach before he could regain his composure. It was enough to wind him and he sat on the floor holding his stomach.

"Bastard," she spat before kicking him deftly in the face once more and bolting out the open door. Her head was spinning and her body ached terribly but she had to get out of here before he recovered from her display of level three advanced hand to hand combat...or foot to face in this case. Trees, she was surrounded by trees. ‘Great,’ she thought. ‘Middle of nowhere...just my luck.’ She took off through the dense undergrowth, running as quickly as she could, not caring where she was going as long as she was as far away from him as possible.

"Sam! Come back!" the voice shouted. "I’m gonna get you!"

"Shit," she said aloud as she realised he was gaining on her. "Didn’t kick the bastard hard enough." Her head was starting to pound now and her bound hands were slowing her down as she struggled to make her way through the dense woodland. She picked up the pace and glanced back to make sure he wasn’t in sight...and failed to see the exposed tree root sticking up from beneath a clump of wet leaves until it was too late. She tripped and crashed to the ground her full weight landing on her left leg, the clear snap and instant pain screaming that it was broken. She grasped at a nearby tree trunk and desperately tried to claw her way up, succeeding in getting half way before the excruciating pain caused her to fall forward again. The snap of a twig made her look up and she closed her eyes as he stood leering down at her.

"You stupid bitch," he spat.

He leaned down, grabbed her roughly by the collar of her shirt and began to pull her back through the forest. His initial tug knocked Sam flat on her back and as he dragged her, she struggled to stand, to get away, anything...but her leg and her flagging strength left her weak and slightly disorientated. She could barely move and as she realised she’d missed her one chance of escape, the tears began to fall softly down her grubby cheeks.

"You...you shouldn’t have done that...shouldn’t have done that," Simmons repeated over and over as he roughly pulled her towards his hidden rundown shack.

"Why?" she muttered softly, so soft she didn’t think he’d heard.

"I love you...don’t you see?" he asked, truly believing what he said. "But you didn’t want me...just like she didn’t want me...so I knew, knew I had to *make* you mine." he babbled, continuously dragging her over the rough undergrowth of the forest.

"Who? Who didn’t want you?" Sam managed to gasp out. She had to keep him talking...if he was talking he wasn’t hurting her.

"*She* didn’t...how can your own mother leave you there, run off with some jerk she’s only known for five minutes. I *had* no childhood because of her...Passed on from home to home...No-one wanted me...No-one."

"I’m sorry Graham, I understand now" Sam said softly, desperately trying to pacify him...if he thought she was on his side... But her plan seemed to have the opposite effect on him.

"Sorry!" he spat "you’re sorry...you *understand *...what the hell would you know about it?" He stopped suddenly and turned, dragging Sam up from the ground holding her roughly by the shoulders. Behind him, Sam could see her ‘prison’, a tumbledown old shack of rotting wood and she closed her eyes briefly...she had to calm him down before he got her there...before he...

"Graham, I only meant that...that...I..."

"Shut-up!" he screamed "shut-up!" and raising his hand he struck her hard across the face again, stunning her and knocking her off balance. She fell to the ground and yelped in pain as her broken leg took the brunt of the fall.

"We will be together Sam" he said, a menacing look flashing in his eyes "if not in life, then in death" and Sam found herself looking straight down the barrel of a colt 45, "first you...then me". Sam shut her eyes, one silent tear sliding down her face...she couldn’t fight any more, he’d won.

"But not just yet" he smirked evilly, releasing the clasp on the gun "I have something else planned for now" and raising the weapon he brought it down on the side of her head, dazing her. She felt him grab her roughly and drag her back the short distance to the rundown old cabin before the pain overtook her and she passed out.




*********************************************************************




"Allen, come in Allen, do you read me?" Siler spoke quietly into his radio as he stepped out of the police car. From where he stood, he could make out the cabin ahead, smoke billowing from the chimney, a car parked haphazardly in the thick grass outside.

"I read ya Sarge, O’ Neal, McGuirk and Morad are with me, " the lieutenant replied "we’re in position at the back of the house".

"Stand by for my word Allen and keep well hidden in the trees, don’t want him catching on that we’re here...Bouchez, come in Bouchez" Siler began, determined to ensure his people were in place and ready to catch this guy.

"Here Sarge" the voice crackled over the radio.

"You, Stasiak and Dickson take the side of the house...we don’t want this sonofabitch getting away".

"10-4 Sarge, ready and awaiting your order" Bouchez replied firmly, determination evident in her voice.

"Cohen, McDonald, you guys are with me" Siler continued, turning to face the two officers that stood behind him. "We cannot screw this up people" he began, raising the radio to his mouth again "this guy’s is armed and dangerous and our main aim is to get Major Carter out of there as safely as possible...hold your positions...and be careful".




*********************************************************************




Daniel sat on Jack’s couch, drumming his fingers loudly on the table, his face set in a permanent frown, "I hate sitting here doing nothing" he muttered to Teal’c who was busy pacing the floor, hands firmly behind his back "I mean, I know they couldn’t let us come with them but I hate waiting".

"I agree Daniel Jackson, I too am feeling impatient" the big jaffa said, stopping his pacing briefly "but I believe your law enforcers know what they are doing".

"Damn Jack for not being here" Daniel said aloud, a worried expression on his face, "he’s gonna kick himself for storming off...I mean, what the hell is he playing at anyway. You know Teal’c, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him this upset about anything.

"He cares for Major Carter a great deal" Teal’c replied knowingly.

"Yeah Teal’c, he does...we all do...but with Jack, it’s something more...it’s almost as if he’s finally starting to realise..." Daniel began before the shrill ring of the telephone interrupted him, making him leap forward and snatch up the receiver. "Hello!" he almost yelled into the phone "Sergeant Siler! What’s going on, have you found her?"

"Dr. Jackson, we’re in position around the house now, we’re getting ready to move in...looks like our guy’s made himself quite at home here" the voice of the sergeant crackled roughly over the phone "it looks like we’ll have Major Carter out soon doctor so try not to worry...we’ll be in touch".

Daniel’s heart was racing as he replaced the receiver "they’re ready to move in on the house Teal’c, they’re gonna have her out soon...she’s gonna be OK".

Teal’c smiled slightly "this is indeed good news Daniel Jackson".

"Yeah" Daniel replied, trying to ignore the ball of nerves in his stomach, silently praying that things would go well "everything will be OK now".




*********************************************************************




Simmons rubbed the butt of the gun between his fingers, a small smile playing on his lips as he watched the still unconscious Major lying bound on the hard, wooden bed. He would wait for her to wake up before he put the next part of his plan into action, wait till she could look at him with those big blue eyes he’d come to adore...it really would be wonderful, he could feel it. They would be together forever.

The sudden rustle and snap of a twig outside made him start and jerk his head toward the door of the rundown old cabin. Silently he stood and made his way cautiously to the door, raising his gun, ready to defend himself and *his * beautiful woman against whatever lay beyond.

He opened the door a crack, then wider, the gun held firmly between his hands. Glancing around outside he saw nothing but the huge, majestic trees of the forest, like a fortress protecting the cabin. Staying safely inside the cabin, he narrowed his eyes, scanning the area for any signs of movement but saw nothing, the only sound heard was the wind whistling eerily through the trees. Frowning slightly, he relaxed his hold on the weapon and let it hang loosely by his side and taking one more look around he shook his head slightly and closed the door silently behind him




*********************************************************************




"Sarge, sarge, you read me?" Siler’s radio crackled.

"Go ahead Allen" he replied.

"I think the back door just opened...couldn’t see anything cause of these damn trees but I’m pretty sure it opened just a crack...it must be him Sarge".

"OK...time to start moving in Allen...Bouchez, start moving your team in at the sides...let’s get this bastard".

Slowly, stealthily the teams began to move through the dense undergrowth and tall trees toward the cabin, hearts were pounding and each held their weapons at the ready, determined to get their man. As they came close to the cabin, Siler raised his radio to his lips...

"Go! Go! Go!" he shouted and on his command, his people ran straight for the cabin, kicking in the old wooden doors and windows, desperately hoping their attack would be enough to take Simmons by surprise.

Siler ran for the front door, flanked by Cohen and McDonald and as he kicked it open he raised his gun immediately...only to pull it back when he realised it was not pointed at Simmons but at one very disgruntled lieutenant Allen. He looked at her, puzzlement written all over his face.

"Damnit Sarge" Allen yelled as she released the clasp on her own gun "I’m sorry, but the bastard’s set us up". With that she held out the small mobile phone to her commanding officer "Sarge, he was here, he was definitely here but we’re too late...he’s gone there’s no-one in there, just the phone...he played us for fools".

"But you saw the door open Allen..."

"It was just a squirrel sir...sir I’m sorry" Allen replied, casting her eyes downward.

Siler shook his head and turned to face the officers behind him. "He knew, he knew we were tracing the call, shit! Cohen, you better call Dr. Jackson...tell him...tell him we got it wrong...she’s not here.




***********************




Sam’s eyes fluttered open and the pain hit her hard and fast. She could taste the blood running from the gash in her head and through blurry vision, the form of Graham Simmons appeared, his eyes glinting with madness making her stomach flip with terror. She knew what he was about to do and with tears of desperation, she shook her head "please Graham, God, please don’t do this to me". She desperately struggled as much as her battered body would allow, but he’d bound her tightly to the bed this time...there was no escape. Simmons moved slowly towards the bed, a small smile playing on his lips.

"This is how it’s meant to be" he sneered, sitting down on the edge of the bed. He stroked her cheek and Sam felt her stomach heave as he began to unbutton her top with one hand, the other opening is own shirt. He bent his head and kissed her roughly. Suddenly the door flew open.

"Get the *hell * away from her Simmons you crazy bastard!" Jack’s voice roared.

Simmons was on his feet immediately "Jack so nice to see you" he sneered before lunging at him, knocking them both to the floor. Jack felt Simmons fist connect with his jaw and he winced in pain, "You shouldn’t have come here, you shouldn’t have come, she’s mine damnit, she’s mine" Simmons roared, squeezing his hands around Jack’s neck, his eyes filled with rage.

Jack struggled beneath Simmons grasp, gasping for air as the strong hands choked him. Thoughts of Sam rushed through his head and as the anger welled inside him, he jerked and with one swift movement he knocked Simmons off balance. "You bastard" he yelled, as he knelt above him and began pummelling him, "you’re gonna pay".

Simmons roared beneath Jack’s punches and with silent deftness raised his fist and thumped Jack hard in the stomach, winding him and knocking him sideways. Once more, Simmons’ fist connected with Jack, hitting him hard across the eye, causing him to yelp in pain. Simmons staggered to his feet, blood dripping from his lip and wiping it away, he lunged at Jack, knocking him hard against the floor. Jack gasped for breath again as Simmons began to beat him unmercifully, his fists connecting hard with Jack’s face and body, his face evil and contorted.

With one last ditch effort, Jack raised his knee beneath Simmons’ chest and lashed out, knocking Simmons hard against the wall, stunning him. Raising his beaten body off the floor, Jack ignored the pain that shot through him, and breathing heavily he stood staring at Simmons, a rage building in the pit of his stomach. Grabbing a nearby stool he made his way slowly toward Simmons and raising it high above his head was about to bring it down hard on the head of the man who’d caused Sam such terror and pain.

"Jack" the soft voice stopped him before he could exact his revenge on Simmons.

"Sam, Sam" he cried, rushing to her side, all thoughts of killing Simmons momentarily dispersed. He closed his eyes briefly as he took in the sight of his Major lying before him. Her beautiful face was battered and blood ran fast down from the gash in her head. Her wrists were red and sore from the ropes that bound her and one of her legs was twisted painfully, obviously broken.

"Jack" she said again.

"I’m here Sam, I’m here" he said softly, brushing a finger over her swollen cheek, "Jesus, what’s he done to you?" he murmured softly, realising that she was only barely conscious. "I’m sorry Sam, I’m so sorry" he muttered as his eyes glazed over with tears "you’re safe now".

Hearing a slight groan behind him, Jack turned sharply to see a battered Simmons, clutching his head and trying to lift himself from the floor. With one swift movement Jack whacked the struggling Simmons straight across the face, knocking him out cold.

"Payback, you pathetic wimp".




*********************************************************************




As Sam’s eyelids fluttered open, she realised the bed beneath her was no longer hard and wooden, the room no longer shabby and draughty. Glancing around, she struggled to focus her vision and realised she was in the infirmary. She gasped aloud as it dawned on her that she was safe, startling the nearby Daniel and Janet in the process.

"Sam, Sam", Janet called, immediately rushing to her side, flashlight out "don’t try to move, you’ll be OK". As Janet pulled the curtain around them and began her examination, Daniel was shooed, under protest, out of the room by a nearby nurse and eventually accepting defeat went to find Teal’c and Jack.

Daniel and Teal’c paced the floor nervously as Jack sat, rubbing his eyes, his stomach doing somersaults as he waited.

"Jack...I’ve been meaning to ask you...how the hell did you know, how on earth did you manage to find her?" Daniel asked as Jack looked up, sadness evident in his deep brown eyes.

"The police file Daniel, Siler handed it to me. I saw the addresses and decided that if the good Sergeant wasn’t gonna let me go, I was damn well gonna check out those addresses myself...but I should have gone sooner" he replied mournfully, shaking his head guiltily.

"No, thank God you got there when you did Jack. Turns out Simmons discovered Sam had used the mobile and decided to lead the police on a wild goose chase, taking Sam to his mother’s old cabin in the meantime. Jesus Jack, they’d never have found her in time...if you hadn’t got there when you did..." Daniel began, thoughts of what could have happened entering his mind.

The sound of the infirmary door opening startled the three men and all virtually pounced on Janet as she came out.

"Doc, is she OK, what’s going on, how’s she...?"

"Calm down guys, take it easy. She’s awake and physically, she seems to be healing...but..." Janet paused.

"But what?" Jack narrowed his eyes, knowing there was something wrong.

"But emotionally...well...she’s not doing so good".

"What do you mean?" Daniel asked, confusion written on his face.

"I’m not sure...she seems to have retreated into herself" Janet explained "it’s almost like what happened to her after Jolinar’s death, she won’t speak to me, she won’t cry, she’s just...staring into space".

"But she’ll come out of it, right?" Daniel asked worriedly.

"She has overcome this before Dr. Fraiser" Teal’c stated, a hint of anxiety flashing in his eyes.

"I know she has Teal’c but after what she’s been through...I just...I’m not sure this time" Janet replied solemnly glancing from one worried face to the next. Jack stood silently, his face taut, pain evident in his deep brown eyes.

"Can we see her?" Daniel asked quietly.

"Yes, but only for a moment".

Teal’c entered the infirmary first as Janet held the door for them, Daniel close behind him.

"Colonel, aren’t you coming?" she asked, her face creased in a frown as he stood stock still in front of her.

"I...I can’t...I need some air" he mumbled refusing to make eye contact and before Janet could say another word, he turned and headed straight for the elevator.




*********************************************************************




"Sam, Sam, it’s me Sam, it’s Daniel" Daniel tried softly, taking her hand in his "can you hear me?". Nothing. Her big blue eyes, eyes that once held such a sparkle, stared straight ahead of her.

"I too am here Major Carter" Teal’c began, "how are you feeling?" Again, nothing, just silence.

Daniel shook his head sadly and stood to face Janet "where’s Jack?" he whispered.

"I don’t know, he said he needed some air and he was gone" Janet replied.

"Goddamn him Janet, Sam needs him...what the hell is he playing at?" Daniel retorted angrily.

"I know, I know" Janet replied, placing a reassuring hand on Daniel’s arm, "don’t worry, he’ll come round".

"I hope so," Daniel said quietly, glancing back at his silent friend "for Sam’s sake".




*********************************************************************




Jack took a gasp of fresh air as he reached the surface. He just had to get off the base for a while, needed to calm down, which was near impossible at the moment when Sam was like this. He’d been worried sick at her reaction after Jolinar’s death...but now...his feelings for her had grown even stronger since that time...so why...why had he done this to her? Not physically of course, but as good as. Why hadn’t he just listened instead of letting his stupid jealousy get in the way, if only he’d stopped to hear her out, none of this would have happened.

His heart was literally breaking in two as he walked toward the forest that surrounded the base and as he finally came to rest on a large, secluded rock, he allowed a few solitary tears to flow. He knew how confused the guys must be at his disappearance...but how could he face her, how could he see her agonising pain and know he as good as caused it. He cared for her so much and he’d screwed it up so badly.

"Sam" he muttered out loud "I’m so sorry".




*********************************************************************




"But doctor, it’s been four days now" General Hammond spoke softly.

"I know sir, but she’s just got not getting any better, even Cassie’s visit yesterday didn’t help" Janet replied sadly, wishing with all her heart that her friend could be well again "I think we’re gonna have to consider transferring her into Dr. Bett’s care in New York. She’s an expert in this area and I think she could help Sam a lot more than I can at the moment".

"Agreed doctor, it’s the best thing we can do for Major Carter" General Hammond responded, glancing towards Sam’s bed where Daniel and Teal’c sat talking to her, "if there’s no improvement within the next 3 days, you have my permission to transfer her". With that, he shook his head sadly and left the infirmary.




*********************************************************************




Jack walked down the corridor, swinging a file absently in his right hand. His thoughts were miles away from the base...they were on Sam and had been on her for the past 5 days. He’d managed to avoid the infirmary and his *very * pissed friends since she’d opened her eyes but it was getting harder and harder to do it. He desperately wanted to see her but something was holding him back...guilt...shame...fear, hell all of the above and more.

"Woah Colonel" Janet said as she jumped out of his way before he walked straight into her.

"Sorry doc, was miles away" he replied and kept walking. Damnit, he knew he couldn’t avoid them forever but he wasn’t ready to hear a lecture from Janet Fraiser right now.

"Colonel, wait please, I’d like a word with you". Shit, he had to get out of this one...he just couldn’t handle it at the moment.

"Sorry, but I gotta run, I’m in a hurry" he mumbled, picking up the pace as he continued to move down the corridor.

"Not so fast Colonel" Janet retorted and was blocking his path before he could make his escape "what’s going on sir?" she asked.

"What are you talking about?" Jack replied, trying to play innocent...and he knew it wasn’t working.

"I’m talking about Major Carter, your second in command and a hell of a good friend lying like a statue in the infirmary and you haven’t been to see her once in five days. What the hell is your problem!" she yelled back, knowing she was probably over stepping the mark.

"I’ve been busy". It was the most pathetic excuse and Jack knew it but it was all he could come up with, "now if you’ll excuse me" he continued and walked around her.

"You’re blaming yourself sir" Janet shouted after him, making him stop short "you’re punishing yourself when it’s not even your fault...but damnit sir, you’re punishing Sam too and she doesn’t deserve that...she needs you". Jack kept his back to Janet and closed his eyes briefly as her words sunk in. Without turning around he shook his head sadly and continued down the corridor.




*********************************************************************




Midnight, and silence had filled the corridors of the SGC, an odd airman walking past every now and then. Jack’s stomach was in knots but he knew he had to do this, it was time to stop being selfish...she needed him and he was going to her. As he entered the infirmary he caught sight of Janet and two other nurses, distracted by Major Handford and Captain Cafaro of SG12 who’d been brought in earlier that morning after a particularly nasty mission. Perfect, he could get in un-noticed. Taking a deep breath he rounded the curtain that protected Sam from the prying eyes of the outside world, and couldn’t help but gasp at what he saw. Her beautiful blue eyes had lost their brilliance and stared straight ahead, her skin was pale and dotted with bruises and gashes, her body seemed limp and lifeless...it was all Jack could do to prevent himself from turning and leaving the room as her saw her pain. But he stood fast, staring for a moment at his beautiful Major before moving to the chair next to the bed.

"Sam" he stuttered, his voice cracking with emotion "I’m here, I’m here for you and I’m so sorry Sam". Silence, nothing, not even a small flicker of recognition at his voice.

"Please Sam, please look at me" he tried, stroking her beaten face, "you have to try...I can’t...I can’t go on without you...I need you Sam". His voice was barely a whisper, his eyes glazed over with unshed tears. Still she remained silent and unmoving. "I won’t leave you" he sighed softly, taking her limp hand in his, a tear beginning to fall.




**************************




"Colonel, it’s 4am, what on earth are you doing here" Janet’s voice startled him slightly.

"I...had...I needed to come, I had to see her, God Janet, I never expected...it’s so hard" he said softly, swallowing the lump that was building in his throat.

"I know Colonel, I know but hopefully Dr. Bett can help".

"Dr. Bett?" Jack asked, frowning slightly "who’s that?"

"She’s an excellent doctor in New York with vast experience in cases like this" Janet replied, not liking the look that flashed in Jack’s eyes.

"You mean, you’re sending her away?" Jack asked disbelievingly.

"Tomorrow morning. We’ve tried everything Colonel, this will be for the best...for Sam’s sake".

"But you...I mean you can’t..." Jack stuttered before looking back at Sam. Damnit, he knew Janet was right but he felt like his heart was being ripped out all over again. He could lose her for good this time...what if she never recovered...he couldn’t stand being without her.

"It’s for the best Colonel" Janet said softly "I’ll leave you to say goodbye" and with that she had disappeared back around the curtain, leaving Jack alone.

"Sam" he spoke her name softly "I have to leave now but I want you to know how much I care about you, how much I need you and how sorry I am and when you’re well, I’m gonna make this up to you, I promise" and dipping his head he kissed her softly on the forehead "I’ll come back in the morning" he said before turning to leave.

"Don’t go". It was so soft Jack wasn’t sure he’d even heard it and turned slowly around to face the figure in the bed. No longer was she staring into space but was staring straight at him.

"Don’t go," she said, a little louder this time.

Jack’s eyes opened wide and he ran to her side, grabbing her hand in his, "Sam, Sam" he cried excitedly, his other hand gently running down her face. He looked into her blue eyes and caught the mixture of emotions that flashed through them as they filled with tears.

"Let it out Sam, let it out" he said softly as he gently sat up on the bed and pulled her into a hug. She nestled into him and he held her tightly as her body racked with sobs, all the terror and fear of the past couple of weeks coming out in a flood of tears.

"I’m here Sam" he said, smoothing her hair with one hand as he held her close, her tears still flowing freely "I’ll never let you go again".

From outside the curtain, Janet watched the scene, her own eyes welling with tears. Her friend was going to be OK...in fact it looked like both her friends would be OK.




*********************************************************************




"Chevron 1 locked" the young technician called from the control room as Jack looked around him waiting for Sam to join her team. The past couple of months had been tough for her, very tough and Jack had tried to be there for her any way he could. They’d finally put that bastard Simmons away for a long time and this had helped Sam, knowing he couldn’t get to her, but it had been so hard for her and for Jack who had to watch his strong Major fight the nightmares and memories of what he’d done to her. But she’d done it, she’d overcome it and as she grew stronger, Jack felt his feelings for her, this amazingly strong woman, grow as well.

The door to the gateroom opened, momentarily dispersing Jack’s thoughts and he smiled at the sight of his Major, geared up and ready to face her first mission. He was so proud of her. She still had a slight limp, but Janet had said this would go with time and as she approached him she gave him a smile of her own.

"Ready Major?"

"Yes sir"

"You’re sure you’re up to this Carter?" he whispered softly to her.

"Yes sir" she answered a little sharply "of course I am".

"Then good to have you back". She nodded her head slightly as Daniel and Teal’c moved to stand beside her.

"It is indeed good to have you back Major Carter".

"Yeah Sam, we missed ya".

"Thanks guys" Sam replied "I appreciate it".

"SG1, you have a go" General Hammond called from the control room, happy to see his best team back together after all they’d been through.

"Let’s go campers" Jack retorted with a grin before putting his baseball cap on and moving up the ramp, followed by his team.

Stepping through the shimmering blue event horizon, the team arrived on a breathtakingly beautiful planet, three suns shining in the azure sky above. Stepping into the lush green field surrounding the gate, Jack left a long, low whistle.

"Nice" he proclaimed "and no trees, looks like paradise to me...let’s ramble a little further kids".

"UAV showed dwellings about 2 miles this way" Sam began, moving in the direction she’d just indicated.

"This way it is then" Jack retorted, allowing Daniel and Teal’c to walk a little ahead. "Carter, how you doin’?" he asked casually. He was worried about it and he couldn’t help it and although she had recovered, he still felt fiercely protective of her.

"I’m fine sir...really" she replied, her eyes cast downward and sighing a little, she moved away from him to catch up with the others. She felt as if her CO had changed, his attitude to her was different since...since...well, she was beginning to feel that he thought she couldn’t do her job properly, maybe he thought she’d burst into tears at any second and let the team down. All she really wanted to do was get on with her life and her work, forget about what happened...move on. But Jack...Jack had been like a rock through it all, had helped her, seen her despair and now she feared he saw her as weak, incapable...a liability. She desperately didn’t want him to see her like that, especially now, considering how she felt about him...she just couldn’t bear it.




*********************************************************************




"Incredible" Daniel muttered as he examined the artefacts the elders of the village had brought him, "this is amazing Jack, I mean, these people are clearly from an era long..."

"Ahhhh...Daniel...no era’s...please", Jack muttered back, glancing around the small village they’d discovered. Teal’c was happily ensconced in conversation with one of the natives, while Sam enthused over some mineral samples she’d just discovered.

"Well at least they’re not trying to kill us" Jack mumbled out loud to himself.

"Sir?" Sam asked confused as she wandered up to him.

"Oh, Carter, hey, how’s it goin" he asked, a little flustered.

"Fine sir". Blue eyes met brown and both held the gaze, Sam’s stomach doing a little flip before she interrupted, remembering why she’d come over in the first place, "uh, sir, Yolana and Aanush are gonna take me to where they found these mineral samples, they say it’s only about an hour away and that..."

"Negative Major" Jack replied, a little more forcefully than he’d intended, his stomach doing a turn at the thoughts of her disappearing with two aliens they’d only just met.

"Excuse me sir?" Sam asked, a hint of anger flashing in her blue eyes.

"Major, we hardly know these people, God knows what they..."

"Excuse me Colonel" the tall, broad figure of Aanush began, startling Jack slightly "I could not help overhearing. Both Yolana and I know these parts very well and I guarantee you Major Carter will be safe with us".

Sam smiled an embarrassed smile at Aanush before glaring back at Jack, arms folded defiantly across her chest, clearly upset with her CO. He knew he was beaten.

"Sure, fine, whatever...but we leave in two hours" he said harshly before turning and walking away. Glancing back he saw her pick up her equipment and follow Yolana and Aanush out of the village and his stomach flipped. He knew he’d sounded ridiculous, even a little harsh but God, if something happened to her again...he just wanted to protect her, but now she probably thought he was an irrational, insensitive jerk. Shaking his head sadly he moved over to where Teal’c sat, still deep in conversation...he had to get over this.




*********************************************************************




Damnit! Goddamnit Daniel, I knew it, I damn well knew it...I should never have let her go with them!" Jack ranted, pacing up and down, kicking up the dust of the small village.

"Jack, you have to calm down, it’s not like..." Daniel started.

"Daniel! She’s almost two hours late, what the *hell * is going on! That’s it, I’m going after her," he shouted, readying his gun and moving in the direction he’d seen Sam go almost four hours earlier. It was happening all over again, she was gone...the pain he’d felt when Simmons had snatched her, a pain he’d never wanted to experience again was back...he’d lost her.

Suddenly a clear laugh rang out and his eyes opened wide as he saw her, walking toward him, flanked by Yolana and Aanush, each carrying different types of mineral samples. His emotions raged from sheer and utter relief to anger that she’d been gone so long.

"Major, where the *hell * have you been!" he roared, anger replacing the pain he’d felt minutes earlier.

"Sir, I’m sorry but there was so much to..." she began, obviously excited by her find.

"I don’t give a damn, you are two hours late, get ready to move out...*now *!" he yelled again. He didn’t mean to be so angry but he’d been so worried about her, thought he’d lost her and all the time she...

"Sir, a word *please *" her voice was low and laced with anger and embarrassment as she moved away from the group of onlookers to a small clearing just out of sight. Jack followed, his head bent low, his face set in a tight line.

"Sir, would you please tell me what is going on? I’m sorry I was late, I know...but your reaction was uncalled for!" she began, throwing her hands up in despair.

"Look Carter" he began, unwilling to drop his angry façade "I told you we were leaving, I expected you to be back here...you can’t just..."

"Sir, this has *nothing * to do with me being late back here and we both know it" she said angrily, her eyes flashing with rage and sadness.

"Really?" Jack asked sarcastically, "then do tell me Major, what *is * this about?"

"It’s about me...and you thinking I can’t do my job anymore. You think I’ll suddenly become a quivering wreck any second...that I’m completely incapable since...since...Well sir, I’m perfectly capable and you’re gonna hafta damn well accept that" and turning on her heel she made to move away from him.

Watching her turn from him, Jack closed his eyes briefly as he realised what Sam had been saying...she’d totally misunderstood him, his feelings for her, his need to protect her had been misconstrued as what...contempt, lack of trust? How on earth could he *ever * see her as incapable.

"Sam" he called, running after her and taking her arm gently as he stood in front of her "oh Sam". Her crystal blue eyes glistened with unshed tears and she turned her face away from him, desperate that the man she cared so much about wouldn’t see how much he’d hurt her.

"Sam, you have no idea" he spoke softly "I’m sorry for getting so angry, it’s just that...when you didn’t come back...I thought...I thought I’d lost you again and I couldn’t...I couldn’t bear it. I felt so powerless, just like when that bastard took you...I was scared Sam". The last part was barely a whisper and made Sam look up, look into the eyes of her CO as she realised what he was saying.

"Sir...Jack...I’m not going anywhere" her voice was choked with emotion as she raised a trembling had to his face.

"Sam, when you were gone...when *he * took you, I realised how much I need you, what a huge part of my life you are...and I realised something else...I think...I know...I love you Sam, so much".

Sam gasped slightly, tears flowing freely now. "Jack" she whispered softly "all that time Simmons had me, all I could think of was you and how frightened I was that I’d never see you again, and then you saved me, you helped me through it all...you made me live again, you’re everything to me and I know I don’t ever want to be without you...I love you too Jack".

Tears welled in his own eyes as he wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her toward him, hugging her fiercely, tightly as if he’d never let go. Pulling back slightly from the embrace, Sam wrapped her arms around his neck and silently, wordlessly, Jack bent his head and gently brushed her lips with his own. Blue eyes met brown and both saw the love and passion there, a love that had grown and blossomed over four years. Lowering his head again, Jack kissed her again, deeper this time, a sweet and wonderful kiss that almost weakened Sam’s knees, a kiss laced with the passion and desire of so many years.

Breaking the kiss, Jack looked deep into Sam’s eyes "I know...I know it’s not gonna be easy Sam but I also know that I want to be with you always, no matter what...I’m never gonna lose you again".

"I love you Jack" Sam replied, her heart lifting and as their lips met again, both knew they could face whatever the future held for them, as long as they faced it together.




************************

The End



End Notes: That's it guys. Please let me know what you thought and I hope you enjoyed it.