samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: LtSChase@aol.com

Status: complete

Season/Sequel Info: follow up to Divide and Conquer

Spoilers: uhm... Divide and Conquer (yah think?)

Archive: SJA, Heliopolis

Feedback: Sure


They all just stood there. No one wanted to disturb her. She cradled the head of the man who had so recently confessed a "fondness" for her. If she'd known she'd have said something, even if it had been a lie.

"Major Carter, we need to move the... Martouf out of here."

She blinked and nodded to the general. Members of the SGC and the Tok'Ra moved in to lift the body from her lap. Anise reached for Sam but was stopped by Teal'C. He handed the Zat gun to Daniel and stooped to lift Sam to her feet. Anise stepped forward again, but Teal'C glared at her with what could only be described as a snarl. He kept one hand at the small of Sam's back; the other held her elbow as they walked out of the gate room.

Sam walked blindly, content to let Teal'C guide her. A short way down the hall, she began to shake. The corridor in front of her began to distort. She stopped and felt herself sway. She turned to see Teal'C and the colonel then her vision constricted to a pinpoint.



*



Teal'C swept her up instinctively as she fell. O'Neill reached for her as Doctor Fraiser jogged over.

"She's OK," Janet soothed.

"OK!" Jack cried.

"Colonel, I sedated her pretty heavily. I'm surprised she stayed alert this long. Teal'C, if you would take her down to the infirmary?"

Teal'C lowered his head and started down the hall. His long strides eating up ground quickly. O'Neill paused for a second and it was long enough for him to round a corner out of view. His mouth opened and closed twice. Janet smiled. "Go on. I want to check on something first. Just put her on a bed and cover her up."

O'Neill nodded and ran after the Jaffa.



*



"What happened?" Hammond asked as Jack slid trying to round a corner.

"Major Carter collapsed, sir. From the sedative."

"Why... What happened?"

"I re-tested them," Anise replied. "Major Carter believed that the results were false because they had both lied."

"Lied?" Daniel asked.

"Yes." Anise nodded. "About why Colonel O'Neill refused to leave Major Carter behind when there was no hope of saving her."

"Oh," Daniel said then caught Janet's gaze. "OH!" He turned towards the gate room. "General, the president..."

Hammond nodded, "Doctor Fraiser, I would like you to participate in the exam of the body. After you check on Major Carter of course."

"Yes, sir."

"Though why he would not..."

Janet cringed visibly. Daniel grabbed her arm. "I'll explain later."

Anise yanked free. "I was saying that I do not understand why Colonel O'Neill and Major Carter would not want to admit that they have feelings for each other?" The expression on her face could only be described as a smirk.

Hammond turned, "Could be because it's against every regulation on the books. Or could be damn fool stubbornness."

"Regulations," Anise repeated. "Of course, the governing text of your military. With this, will you be forced to separate them?"

"Separate them?" Hammond choked. "The best team this planet has? Oh that is funny. Didn't know any Tok'Ra beyond Jacob had such a wild sense of humor!" He ushered her into the gate room. "The president will enjoy that one. Separate SG1. HA!"

"Did he just say...?" Daniel started.

"What I think he just said?" Janet finished.

Daniel started to grin wildly. An airman interrupted to take possession of the Zat gun. He gave the pair a strange look.



*



Jack hovered as Teal'C lowered Sam to a bed in the infirmary. Teal'C gently moved him aside to move down and remove her shoes.

"Sam?" he whispered. She opened her eyes briefly. They were glazed and unfocused.

"Her clothes are blood stained," Teal'C reported softly. "Should we not change them?"

"Janet will," Jack replied as he smoothed her hair back.

"Janet will what?" Janet asked as she entered the infirmary.

"Change her, Marty's blood..."

"Got it. Daniel why don't you run to her quarters and grab a change of clothes?"

Daniel nodded, "Teal'C, come with?"

Teal'C lowered his head and followed Daniel out.



*



Daniel was barely able to contain himself until they reached Sam's on base room. He shut the door and whirled, "OK word for word WHAT DID He SAY!?!?!?!"

Teal'C took a step back and blinked.

Daniel started smiling again, "Sorry. But what did Jack say in the retest about Sam?"

Teal'C smiled. "That he would rather die than have anything happen to her. And that he cares about her more then he should."

Daniel started to laugh and he leapt at Teal'C grabbing him in a tight hug. The force of his exuberance spun both men around. They froze at the sound of a knock.

The door opened slowly, an airman stood there with a worried look. "Doctor Jackson? General Hammond requests your presence in the gate room for the treaty signing."

"Sure, be right there," Daniel replied, arms still around Teal'C. The door closed just as slowly as it had opened.

Daniel stepped back arms raised, "Sorry, I was just... excited. Take this to Janet."

Teal'C accepted the clothes and nodded, "As was I."



*



"She's fine colonel," Janet repeated. She touched his shoulder reassuringly.

"She just has to sleep it off. Three or four hours at the most."

Jack nodded. He'd plopped himself down into a chair to watch her sleep. Teal'C entered the infirmary carrying the bundle of clothes.

Janet smiled at him, "Sir, Teal'C is here."

"Hey Teal'C," Jack rose and took the clothes without meeting the Jaffa's eyes. "Need help Doc?"

"Uhm, yes actually."

Jack slid his hands around Sam and pulled her into a sitting position. He moved to sit behind her. Sam roused slightly. "S'OK Sam, just need to change your clothes."

"Why?" Sam mumbled as Janet pulled the shirt over her head and slipped another on.

"Just for the hell of it," Janet smiled.

Sam scowled drowsily at her. Teal'C accepted the stained shirt with a raised eyebrow. Jack lowered her back then lifted her at the waist for Janet to yank her pants off. He averted his eyes back up to her face. He smiled as she rolled free of their hands and shifted to her side. She curled her knees up slightly and tucked her hand under her cheek.

Janet shrugged, "Guess that's good enough." She tucked a sheet around her. "You gonna stick around awhile?"

"Yep," Jack replied and settled back into his chair.



Three hours later--



Daniel tilted his head. He was sitting in the infirmary across the bed from Jack. His tie had been abandoned along with his jacket and uncomfortable shoes. He had come down after the treaty signing. Currently he was watching Jack. Jack was alternating from watching Sam for any sign of waking to fighting with the yo-yo.

"Jack?"

"Yes," Jack said.

"How did you two... leave it after the session?"

"In the room, Danny."

"Oh."

"Jack?"

"Yes, Danny."

"Do you think you can really just... leave it?"

"Going to try. Least for a while."

"Oh."

"Jack?"

sigh "Yes, Danny?"

"Exactly what are you doing with that thing?"

"I don't really know."

"Oh."

"Oh."



*



Janet looked up as Anise scowled at something under the microscope. "Find something?"

"No."

"Something wrong?"

"I thought that your people were firmly governed by a set of rules and laws."

Janet smiled, "Well we are. But we also have a thing called General's Privilege. Means he can bend or break certain laws when he sees a strong need to."

"That's very narrow minded and selfish of him. To weigh the good of a few close to him against the better of a planet." Anise sniffed in disdain.

"Well that's us, selfish and narrow minded. You'll learn a few other things about my people given enough time," Janet retorted.

"And what would that be," Anise snapped condescendingly.

"We firmly believe that love conquers all."



*



Sam stirred. Jack dropped the yo-yo and leaned forward. "Carter?"

"mmm?"

"You in there?"

"mmm yes, sir."

Daniel poured a glass of water as she blinked lazily trying to focus. She smiled at the three men hovering over her, "I had the strangest dream. And you were there, and you were there, and you were there too scarecrow."

Even Teal'C got the reference and gave her a smile. Jack helped her sit up. And Daniel held the glass for her to drink.

"So what did I miss?"

Daniel shrugged, "Not much. President signed the treaty and was gone within five minutes. Jack spent the last three hours contemplating a yo-yo. Oh and Anise blabbed your confession from the test. Seems she thought Hammond would separate you two. Hammond just about wet his pants laughing at her."

"She what?"

"He WHAT!"

Daniel grinned, "It is about damn time."

"Danny we decided to leave it in that room," Jack growled as Sam winced.

"Yeah, right."

Teal'C straightened, "It is not as though we did not know. I knew the moment I met you."

Sam covered her face with her hands and moaned.

"You OK, Carter?" O'Neill clutched her wrists to pull them down.

"If I say no will you all go away?" Her face was a fiery red.

"Nope," Jack grinned. "I'd say you're stuck with us."

Sam's eyes welled up. "I'd say that'd make me the luckiest woman on the face of this earth."

"I believe we are the ones who are lucky Samantha Carter," Teal'C replied.

"On this or any other planet," Daniel added, slipping an arm over Sam's shoulders. Jack gripped her waist and smiled at Daniel. Sam reached out her hand and clenched Teal'C's as she laid her head onto Jack's shoulder.



The End.



End Notes: Well? Jen S. Maryland, U.S.A.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dance like no one is watching, Sing like no one can hear, And live each day as if it were your last... - Irish Proverb