samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: babalouie90@yahoo.com

Status: In progress

ARCHIVE: Heliopolis, Sam and Jack

Category: Angst (S/J)

Spoilers: None

Sequel/Season Info: Season 2

Rating: R

Content Warnings: Adult situations, suggestion of rape

Summary: Hidden behind a mask, a member of SG-1 takes a chance resulting in unexpected consequences.

Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story is written for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. Character names were also borrowed from other literature works and television shows, also with no copyright infringement intended. Their names were used to better describe a costumed character in the story. Any resemblance to events or people, living or dead is strictly coincidental. This story may not be archived without permission of the author.

Author's notes: Different character points of view are used throughout the story. *~*~ Denotes a change in character point of view or a new scene. I hope you enjoy the story, your feedback is appreciated.


"Welcome back SG-1. Debriefing in one hour" said General Hammond.

"Don't take too long in there guys. I'd like to get cleaned up too" I said as the rest of the team filed into the locker room.

I decided to go see Janet while I was waiting for the guys to finish showering.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~



"Phew, you're a mess. What happened to you Sam?" inquired Dr. Fraiser. "It looks like you took a mud bath with your clothes on."

I started to sit down on the side of a bed when Janet stopped me and offered me a metal chair. She said that it would be easier to clean than bed sheets.

I advised her that as we were preparing to leave P5X335 and the residents were encouraging us to stay for their mud festival. Daniel said that it paid homage to their guardian of nature for the bountiful crops in the past and in the future.

"The next thing I know we were surrounded by the residents and everyone in the crowd started smearing mud on us to entice us to stay" I said.

"Let me guess, the guys took the locker room first, right?" she said.

"You guessed it doc. I wish we had another shower room so that I wouldn't always have to wait on the guys" I said.

"By the way, have you found a costume yet for the masquerade ball?" asked Janet.

"Oh, I almost forgot about that" I said.

I said that I thought that the whole idea was sort of silly and that I really wasn't planning on going. Janet said that I had better get something together quick, because the wife of a Senator on the Appropriations Committee is throwing the party. She invited NORAD and all Cheyenne Mountain personnel to attend. Janet said that she heard that we were all expected to attend.

At that time Daniel stuck his head in the infirmary and called out "Found her!"

I asked him if they were through and he said yes. I asked if they left me any towels in the shower room and he suggested that I go by the laundry room to pick up a few. I told Janet that I would talk to her later. She then suggested that I come by for dinner and see Cassie. She said that we could put our heads together and maybe we can come up with an outfit for the two of us.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*



I was shampooing the mud out of my hair when my wrist watch alarm went off. I checked my watch and could not believe what time it was. I only had ten minutes to finish cleaning up and get to debriefing. The guys had taken so long that they put me behind schedule. I rushed through my shower, got dressed and ran to debriefing. I just made it in the room just as General Hammond walked in.

Debriefing was the usual rhetoric with Daniel talking about the culture we encountered. I just couldn't concentrate on the debriefing. I was thinking about the masquerade ball. Deep down I was looking forward to going. I thought that it would be nice to be someone else and not Major Samantha Carter, PHD.

"Major. Carter? Major, were you able to obtain any soil samples to explain their abundance in their crops and accelerated growing?" asked General Hammond.

I snapped out of my day dream and advised that I collected samples from the fields where the crops were planted. I said that we would analyze it later.

At that time Jack, who had been standing up by the table, walked over and stood behind my chair. He then pulled a remnant of the festival mud from my hair.

"Here's another sample for you Major Carter. I thought you usually kept this in a vial and not in your hair, or is this some new kind of conditioner for your hair?" he chuckled.

I didn't appreciate his statement, but I managed to keep my cool and went on with my report. When I finished my report I said that the mud that Col. O'Neill had removed from my hair was apparently an oversight on my part. I said I had to rush to get cleaned up and missed the mud because some people took longer than usual in the showers. I looked directly at the Colonel and he acted as if he didn't know what I was talking about.

General Hammond advised he was working on getting separate locker rooms. He reminded me that this was just an oversight when the place was first built. He then dismissed us.

As he walked out of the room I quickly shoved my chair backwards, hoping to roll over Col. O'Neill's foot. It was my way of trying to get back at him for his comment. It would have look like an accident, but he managed to move out of the way in time.

General Hammond then walked back into the room. "By the way people. We have been cordially invited to Senator and Mrs. Whitten's masquerade party next week." Jack started to object when the General advised that he was insisting that we all attend and asked that he not have to make it an order. He then left the room.

Jack dropped his notebook on the table, showing that he wasn't happy about that. Daniel said that it might be interesting, and Teal'c had no idea what was going on. I got up and left the room, leaving the three of them to discuss this between them.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~



After dinner and videos, Janet put Cassie to bed. She came back into the living room and noticed that I was deep in thought.

"Are you thinking about what to wear?" Janet asked.

I said yes, and she said she had no idea what to wear either. We decided we would raid a costume shop and hopefully we could find something good.

However, when we got to the shop the next day they were almost out of everything. The only two costumes available were a gorilla suit and Old English Barmaid outfit. They were definitely out. The clerk apologized for the poor selection. He said that most of the costumes were selected about two weeks ago.

We went back to Janet's to see if we could find anything in her attic. Every time Cassie pulled out something Janet would let out a groan. Cassie was laughing at each outfit, saying that she could hardly imagine her mom wearing any of the outfits.

Cassie then opened an old box which held Janet's old wedding dress. Cassie held it up and said that it was beautiful. I looked at it and told Janet that it reminded me of a Fairy Godmother's dress. Janet gave Cassie a hug for finding the dress and thanked me for the suggestion. She asked where she could find a wand and tiara to complete the outfit, so we went downstairs and looked up a few places in the phone book. We were successful after a couple of calls.

Well that was fine for Janet, but I still needed a costume. She said that I should wear a fancy dress and come as Cinderella.

"Hey, maybe you'll find Prince Charming" Janet said.

I told her I didn't believe in Prince Charming nor happily every after.

"Knowing my luck I would kiss Prince Charming and he would turn into a frog" I said.

We laughed at that idea.

"No Sam, you kiss the frog and it turns into a handsome prince" Cassie said.

"I know sweetie, but that only happens in fairy tales" I explained.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*



Monday morning General Hammond advised that most of us had fallen severely behind on our paper work. He said to take care of that, we would all be earthbound for the next week. He said that this would also give everyone time to get a costume, and he expected to see all of there at the ball.

Fortunately I was up to date on my paper work, so I left the base in search of a costume. I went all the way to Denver and the surrounding areas to find a costume but it was the same story everywhere. No one had any costumes available at this time.

"Maybe I'll just put on my fatigues and smear a little bit of grease on me and come as a grease monkey" I said.

I heard the clerk chuckling and realized that I had said that a little bit too loud. He said that would definitely be an original outfit.

Then it hit me, I could call my brother, Mark, in San Francisco and ask him to find a costume for me. I called him and he said he would help me out. I gave him my dress size and told him to take his wife, Sharon, along to make sure I didn't get a gorilla suit. I told him how soon I needed it and he said he would ship it out on a next day service. He told me to trust him and that he wouldn't let me down. His comment of trusting him worried me.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~



The next day on base I was running some tests when General Hammond found me. He placed an invitation on the counter, advising that there were special instructions inside. He asked me how the hunt for a costume was going and I told him that I had recruited my brother to help and he said that was quick thinking. He then left en route to deliver other invitations.

I opened the invitation and the hostess (Mrs. Whitten) was insisting all guests don masks during the ball. She advised that prizes were going to be awarded to individuals for costumes and for other categories.

On seeing this I called Mark to find out what he sent so I could get a mask to match, and Sharon answered the phone. She seemed hesitant when I asked about the costume. Now I was really worried. She said the costume was alright but she found a nicer costume. She said that she was on her way out to get the costume and would ship it out on a next day delivery service. She said that she would take care shipping the costume and accessories and not to worry.

Funny, but that was one of the last things my brother said before he went shopping for my costume. I started wondering what type of costume required accessories.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*



Wednesday afternoon I received the package from my brother. It was in a big box and I was wondering what he chose for me. I ripped it open and found a silver colored astronaut outfit and a helmet to go with it. I couldn't believe he had done this. I found a note which he included.

*Sam, hope you like the outfit. I knew that you've always wanted to be an astronaut, so now you can be one.*

I tried on the costume and saw that it was rather form fitting. I looked at myself in the mirror and was beginning to wonder if a grease monkey costume would be better.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Thursday I went to speak with Janet in her office. She asked if I had gotten my package, and I said I did. I said that my brother send a space suit. I could see that she was trying her best not to laugh. She picked up her wand from on top of her desk and touched the top of my head. She said that she was my Fairy Godmother and she would work her magic on me. She said that everything would turn out fine for me.

That night I received a special delivery from Sharon. The box was larger than the one the astronaut costume came in. I eagerly opened it up and saw a note on top I read the note first.

*Dearest Sam, I know that the outfit that Mark sent to you probably wasn't what you had in mind. I spotted this outfit and thought that it would be perfect for you. It's the right dress size, and I included other things to go with the outfit. I hope that you like it. Afterall, isn't the idea of a masquerade ball to be someone else other than you? Love Sharon.*

I pulled the outfit out of the box. It was beautiful, but it wasn't me. I looked at it and thought that I couldn't wear this outfit, or could I?

I liked the outfit, but thought that I shouldn't dishonor Mark's effort, so I would wear the astronaut outfit.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



I made a reservation at the hotel so I could stay there that night to change into my costume, and in case I had too much to drink. Besides, I didn't want to drive to the hotel in costume, knowing my luck I would be stopped by a cop.

After checking into the hotel I called Janet and offered the use of the room to change. She advised that Cassie was not letting her out of the house without any pictures, so she would just meet me at the hotel. I told her to come up to my room and we could go down together, I then gave her my room number.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~



I heard a knock, looked out and saw Janet in costume. When she walked in she was trying not to laugh. She showed good judgment and let her eyes do the laughing for her. She said that it was a cute outfit, but it wasn't NASA approved. I almost refused to go but she said that I looked fine. We grabbed our invitations and headed to the ballroom.

Upon entering the ballroom we quickly spotted General Hammond and headed his way. He smiled and complimented us on our outfits.

Then we heard "whoop, whoop, whoop, whoop, whoop" behind us. We quickly turned around and burst out laughing when we saw the trio that we immediately recognized to be the rest of SG-1.

Teal'c had on a bald head wig on with tuffs of hair sticking out from the sides which hid his emblem. He had a name tag that said *LARRY* on it. We then noticed Daniel was wearing a bald head wig, and his name tag read, *CURLY*. We lost it when we saw Jack. He had on a black hair wig that looked like a mop top, and his name tag read, *MOE.*

Jack looked at me and said that he was going to ask and see if I could wear my outfit on our next mission. He said that it would definitely make the natives pay attention to me. He finished by saying, "Sam, that outfit's you. It's you!"

I remember he said that when I was on P3X593 and I was forced to wear an outfit that severely limited my movement. Jack said, "It's you" at that time too.

I slapped at his arm lightly. Using his other arm he made a large swinging arch and knocked his hand very lightly on Curly's head, making a "clunk" noise with his mouth.

"Hey, what'd do that for" said Curly

"Now just a minute" said Larry.

"Oh yeah!" said Moe.

Moe held his hand up eye level to Larry, split his index and middle finger as if he was going to poke Larry in the eyes. Larry raised his hand up in front of his face, turned it sideways so it would slip between Moe's fingers, blocking the eye poke.

We all cracked up laughing when they did this. The guys must have practiced this for quite a while and there was no doubt in anyone's mind that they were impersonating the Three Stooges.

At that time a man in a white lab coat walked over to us. He had the name tag *Mad Scientist* on his lab coat. He said, "Hi Major Carter" and I immediately knew who it was. It was Lt. Simmons, I could tell by his voice. He was looking at me again with his love sick puppy dog eyes.

I wondered how he knew it was me, so I asked him. He said that Janet told him about my outfit. I glared at her, giving her a look to let her know that I didn't appreciate that.

"Don't look that way at your Fairy Godmother, or I might turn you into a pumpkin" Janet said.

The night passed slowly and I was rapidly becoming bored with Lt. Simmons following me around. I finally managed to ditch him and went over for a glass of punch. I spotted another space suit like mine, but that woman filled it out better than me.

Jack then walked up behind her and put his arm around her waist. She turned around and looked at Jack, who seemed surprised that it wasn't me. Instead of him removing his arm from around her waist, he just adjusted his arm so it was still partially around her waist and started talking to her.

I decided it was time to circulate about the room, maybe I would find Prince Charming. Twenty minutes later and I looked back over at the other female astronaut and saw that Jack was still talking with her, standing closer to her with his arm around her skinny waist. I was trying not to show how much his actions were upsetting me.

However, Daniel noticed how upset I was and decided to distract me. He asked me to dance with him and we went out onto the dance floor.

"Are you okay Sam?" Daniel asked.

"I'm fine. Why do you ask?" I replied.

He said that it was obvious to him that I was upset by someone's actions, motioning with his head to where Jack was standing. He told me to relax and enjoy the party. He was right, this was a time to have fun. Daniel started tell jokes in an attempt to get me to laugh. I realized what he was doing so I laughed at all of his jokes, even the bad ones. I knew that he was a good friend to go to such lengths to make me feel better.

Just then Teal'c came up and asked to dance. I danced with Teal'c, who was doing fine but he still needed to refine his dancing techniques. He too was trying to make sure that I was happy. I thought about what a good friend I also had in him.

Jack interrupted and asked to cut in and Teal'c relinquished my hand. I had a nonchalant attitude while dancing with Jack. I decided that I wasn't going to let his previous actions upset me or ruin the ball for me.

As we danced he talked about how he wanted to leave the party and how bad the band was. I told him that I didn't think the band was bad. I then said that if he didn't like the band then he shouldn't be out here dancing, and he suddenly got very quiet. He then mentioned that there was another lady at the ball who had an outfit like mine.

"Oh really?" I said feigning surprise.

"Yeah, but she doesn't know anything about the space program. She told me that she just chose the outfit because she thought that she would look cute in it. She was right, she is cute!" Jack said with a smile on his face.

I wanted to stomp on his toes when he made that comment. Instead I faked a sneezing attack to get out of dancing and excused myself to go to the ladies room.

I walked the direction of the ladies room but turned at the last minute to exit the ballroom. I then literally ran into Mrs. Whitten. She said that she was hoping that I wasn't leaving. I faked a couple of sneezes and told her that I was having an allergy attack and that I was on my way to my room to take some medication. I told her that I would be back. She said that she would be looking for me later.

That did it, I was busted. Now she would notice if I didn't come back. I didn't want to do anything to upset her or her husband, he was too important of a person to the SGC. We have too big of an operating budget that he needed to approve. I realized that I needed to compose myself before I went round three with Colonel O'Neill. I was not going to let him get the best of me and ruin this night.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



I had worked up quite a bit of anger so when I got into the room I kicked at the mattress knocking a part of it off the bed frame. *Boy that felt good* I thought.

*Why did that other lady have to wear the same outfit? She doesn't know anything about space at all. She could never be an astronaut.....She made me look like last Tuesday's leftovers.*

Then I remembered what Sharon wrote in the note about being someone else. Now was the time to be someone else. I decided that I was going to wear her outfit now.

*Major Samantha Carter P.H.D. may have left the ballroom, but someone else is coming back in her place* I thought to myself.

I pulled the costume Sharon got me out of the closet. I decided that I was ready for a change. Besides no one else at the ball had a costume like this so I couldn't be compared to anyone else.

I started putting on the undergarments and decided that they must have been designed by the Marquis De Sade. Only he could have come up with something this tortuous. The bustier girdle combination was squeezing me to death, barely allowing me to breathe. I looked in the mirror and saw a big change in my figure. My waist was even slimmer and my breasts looked fuller and larger. The petticoat was a breeze to put on compared to what I had just been through.

After putting on the emerald velveteen dress I took a look in the mirror and was shocked to see how good everything went together. The sleeves, if you can call them sleeves, draped off the shoulders in a swooping motion that was only a couple of inches wide. The front of the dress had a sweetheart type of bust line which exposed more of my upper chest than what I was use to showing. Now I saw the importance of the undergarments, because it made me look larger than usual in the breasts and much skinner in the waistline. I was definitely happy with the results. The soft underwires in the skirt part of the dress made it look full enough so hoops were not needed. It gave the dress a full but soft look.

Next I put on the brunette wig that had ringlet curls, hiding any trace of my blonde hair. I went to the bathroom and put in the contacts that Sharon had also sent. *Sam, wear these to complete the look* she wrote. I came back out into the bedroom and put on the matching long gloves, and pinned my mask in place.

I looked in the mirror and did a double take. I was shocked at the transformation. I thought I looked a little like Ms. Scarlet O'Hara of Gone With The Wind in this outfit. I definitely didn't look like Major Samantha Carter, PHD. I thought about Sharon's words of encouragement to be someone else and this outfit was the perfect cover. I decided that I would try and speak with a southern accent to further conceal my identity. In this outfit I could be anonymous in the crowd.

It was time, time to take a chance and have a good time. I picked up my lace fan and invitation from the table and put the invitation in my small purse.

On the elevator ride down I thought about how much fun it would be to flirt shamelessly with certain people in this costume and it would be rather interesting. When the elevator doors opened I stepped out noticed that there were a couple of men who were looking rather intently at me and smiling. That was just what I needed to boost my ego. Now I was ready and was determined to have a good time.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~



I presented my invitation at the door to the greeter. As I passed I felt his eyes on me. I turned and saw that he had his mouth open and was staring at me.

"Why thank you for the compliment sir" I said using a southern accent.

He smiled and immediately started blushing because he was caught in the act. I smiled at him, turned around and strolled into the ballroom.

I felt exhilarated from the experience. I wanted to try it out on someone who knew me to see if I could fool them, before I tried it on a certain Stooge.

I spotted Janet as she was heading for the ladies room, so I followed her in.

"Excuse me ma'am, but didn't I see you at the cotillion last month?" I asked in a southern accent.

"I'm sorry, do I know you Miss?" asked Janet.

"Janet, it's me, Sam! What do you think?" I asked.

"Sam? Is that really you? You look a little like Scarlet O'Hara" she said.

"It's really me Janet."

Janet shook her head in disbelief and asked where I got the outfit. I told her that my sister-in-law has sent it to me. She asked why I didn't wear it before and I told her that I was a little embarrassed before. She then leaned closer and asked if a certain person's attention towards another female astronaut was the reason for the change.

"Why what ever do you mean ma'am?" I asked.

Janet chuckled realizing that was the only answer she would get. She said that I looked beautiful, and asked if a certain someone had seen me yet. She didn't have to say his name, I knew exactly who she was talking about.

"Not yet" I said.

"Well Ms. Scarlet ma'am, are you ready to spin a few heads?" asked Janet.

"Let's not keep the gentlemen waiting Fairy Godmother."

We were about to exit the bathroom when Janet suddenly stopped.

"Green! You're eyes are green. That's what threw me off" said Janet.

I smiled and told her that they were colored contacts. She looked again and smiled. She said that she was sure that no one would realize that it was me with green eyes.

"Let the fun began" said Janet as she opened the ladies room door and we strolled out.

We stood at the bathroom door scanning the room. Although we didn't see the rest of my team at the moment, we did catch the attention of some other men who had turned to look at us. We decided to go to the punch bowl to get a better look at the crowd. As we started walking Janet suddenly stopped. She said that they would probably recognize me if we both went there together, so she was going to lag behind and watch.

I walked over to the punch bowl where Lt. Simmons was receiving a cup of punch from the server. He turned and looked at me and almost dropped his cup. He then got a second cup of punch and looked right at me.

"May I offer you some punch Miss?" said Lt. Simmons. I could see that he was extremely flustered.

"Why thank you sir" I said using my southern accent.

"You're welcome Miss" he replied.

He was just standing there, probably trying to figure out who I was. He picked up another cup of punch and walked off, occasionally looking back at me. He almost bumped into someone and spilled some of the punch. He stood beside the female astronaut and handed her the other cup of punch. She was talking to him and others around her, but Lt. Simmons was looking at me. He realized that I was looking back a him, and this caused him to blush. I smiled, fluttered my fan, then turned and walked off into the crowd.

Janet was walking towards me and she held up a finger and made a downward stroke to show that I scored. I was having fun.

"Score: Sam 1, Men 0" Janet said.

"Are you keeping score Janet" I asked.

"So you think I need to? Smooth moves Sam."

She warned me to be careful because at midnight we take off our masks, and this could make things worse with Lt. Simmons. I said that I wasn't planning on sticking around that long. I told her that I felt like Cinderella right now and I had to be out of here by midnight. Then no one would know this Scarlet's real identity.

Just then Mrs. Whitten walked up and asked us if we were having a good time. She complimented us and said that our costumes looked beautiful. She then commented on how it looks as if Janet had just stepped off the pages of a fairy tale and me off the pages of Gone With The Wind.

I said that this dress is more uncomfortable than the space outfit. She stood there a moment and then she looked as if she remembered me. She asked if the allergy medication worked, and I said that it did. I complimented her on her excellent memory. She said that the wig stumped her at first but when I mentioned the space suit she remembered me. I advised her that I saw another female astronaut and decided to change to something else so I would be unique.

She wrote *Southern Belle* on a name tag and handed it to me. I thanked her and waved the fan in front of my face. She chuckled and told me to stay close because the fun was about to start.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*



Mrs. Whitten continued making her way through the crowd, writing the names of the characters on their name tags, as well as on her clipboard she was carrying. She was planning on matching people up, she loved playing matchmaker. She knew that her husband would be upset with her if he knew that the real reason behind her list. She wanted to match up some of her friend's daughters with some of the fine Air Force officers and knew that the game was the perfect cover. She continued to smile outwardly as well as inwardly as she made her way through the crowd.

She stopped at the front entrance and looked out into the crowd to see if she had missed anyone. At that time the doors to the ballroom opened and a man stepped in. Not just any man, but a gentleman. He wore an old south style black jacket with long tails and gray slacks that covered the top part of his black boots.

She smiled at him as he walked towards her. She told him that he needed a name tag for his outfit. She wrote *Southern Gentleman* on it and placed it on his lapel.

"Why thank you ma'am" he said in a southern accent. He bowed and took her hand, kissing it lightly.

She blushed and commented on how gallant and debonair he was. She introduced herself as Mrs. Whitten, hostess for this ball.

"It's an honor to meet you ma'am. You throw a wonderful party and I thank you for the invitation." He said bowing slightly as he again took her hand and again kissed it.

He could see that she was once again blushing. He smiled as he stood up straight.

Mrs. Whitten excused herself, advising that she had to attend to some other matters. The gentleman again bowed to her as she walked off.

*Wow,* she thought. *If I were a few years younger I would go after him in a heart beat.* She stepped off to the side for a minute to calm down and clear her head before she made her way through the crowd. She was still checking name tags and making marks on her clipboard as she worked her way through the guests.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~



I walked over to where Daniel and Teal'c were standing.

"Hey Danny boy, did I miss anything?" I asked.

Daniel did a double take at me and Teal'c just tilted his head to the side showing that he was puzzled.

"Jack?! Why did you change?" Daniel asked.

I explained that while I was talking with the female astronaut when Lt. Simmons spilled some punch on me. I said that I was a mess so I decided to change.

"Sorry we don't match anymore" I said. I then said that I thought that Lt. Simmons did that on purpose.

Daniel said that maybe Lt. Simmons wanted to spend time with lady the astronaut.

"But why, it wasn't Carter" I said.

Daniel then explained that Simmons probably figured that out. He went on to say that maybe Simmons was upset because you were paying so much attention to that lady and not Sam. He then said that I make a habit of chasing him away from Sam anytime he is approaching Sam or see them together. I said that I did not, and he said that I did and to think about it.

"Well he didn't have to spill punch on me. Besides I wasn't monopolizing her time."

"Oh yes you were Jack. Several people also took notice of that, one person in particular seemed upset" replied Daniel.

"What, who was upset?"

"You know who I'm talking about Jack."

"Danny boy, you're imagining things. Besides I wasn't spending that much time with her."

"Yes you did Jack."

"Didn't!"

"Did!"

"Didn't!"

"Then tell me Jack how many other people have you met at this party?" Daniel asked.

"Enough already Daniel."

I was looking through the crowd trying to recognize others, and was able to recognize a few other SGC personnel.

"Daniel, Teal'c...I'm going to bug out of here."

"You're leaving? ....Now?" asked Daniel.

"Daniel, I look ridiculous in this outfit and feel even more ridiculous than I look."

"But it's you Jack" Daniel said.

"It's you!" Teal'c and Daniel said in unison.

I glared at them both and told them to knock it off. They both just smiled back. I then looked out into the crowd one last time. I wanted to speak to someone before I left to try and make up for my earlier actions. I finally figured out the reason she acted so cold towards me. I wondered who she thought she was fooling with that allergy attack line. I know that she doesn't have allergies.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*



"ATTENTION!! ATTENTION GUESTS!!" Mrs. Whitten said. The crowd quieted down and she asked for them to all come closer.

Mrs. Whitten announced that she had selected an interesting game for the guests to play. She said that the game was a form of a scavenger hunt that would be held within the ballroom. She advised that the teams will be matched up by numbers. The females will have the clue list and their team number on the outside of the clue envelope along with their costume description. The men will be given a slip of paper with their team number and their costume description. She advised that we would have 30 minutes to find our team member. When she rang this bell, showing the bell to the crowd, the teams will open the envelope and start the scavenger hunt. When you finish, turn in your list to the table on my left and they will time stamp your list. The first correct team will win a weekend in our condo in Hawaii.

The crowd let out a cheer at hearing that. She then said that there was one catch to it. She said that there was to be no talking at all from this time forward. She pointed out where pencil and pads were located. She said the ladies were to get their list at the table in front of her and the men at the table to her right.

She said that there would other prizes awarded for categories of best costume, best nonverbal communicators, worse nonverbal communicators, and many other categories.

She reminded us that there would be no talking until midnight. She said at that time the winners will be announced, and the masks will be removed. You can talk at that time, but not until then.

She looked at her watch and then told the crowd to pick up their numbers and lists. Some of the crowd started to talk, and she got back on the microphone. "NO TALKING AT ALL!"



~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Jack walked over to the table to pick up his number. He thought he could escape out one of the doors and no one would miss him. He was going to try and disqualify himself and then he could leave.

Jack was handed a slip of paper that had the same name as his name tag. He reached for the paper but the person issuing it refused to let go of the paper. Jack then looked up at the person to see who it was.

"Colonel, you will give this your best effort won't you?" said General Hammond.

"Yes, sir. I'm sure it will be quite an exciting game" Jack replied.

"I trust that you will give me your word as an officer that you'll give this your best shot."

"Yes, sir. I certainly will" Jack said.

"Oh Colonel" said Hammond.

"Yes sir?"

"No talking" Hammond said with a smile.

Jack walked away from the table knowing that General Hammond was watching so he had better play nice.

He turned to face the ladies to see who he was being teamed up with. He knew he would have to play or his partner might speak with Mrs. Whitten or General Hammond. There was no way out, he was trapped.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*



I stood there wondering what the hell I was doing here. I should have run out of the room. I found my envelope that had *Southern Belle* and *Team 23* on it. I started looking around the room to see how everyone was paired up as well as look for my partner.

Lt. Simmons was paired up with the lady astronaut, Janet was paired with Prince Charming, Teal'c was matched up with Lady Godiva, and Daniel was matched up with a woman dressed as Marilyn Monroe. All she needed was an air vent to stand over. I wondered who Jack was paired up with, but I couldn't see him at this time. He probably used his Special Forces training to escape this nonsense.

Everyone was scooting around trying to find their partner except for me. I kept looking at the doors thinking about which one I could use to make the quickest escape. At that time a man dressed as a Southern Gentleman blocked my view of the door. He was holding up a pad with *23* written on it. I held up my clue list showing that I had 23 to match.

He had very dark hair, dark eyes, a full mustache, and a mole above the right side of his mustache. He was tall, dark, dashing and very handsome. He took my left hand and tenderly kissed it. I felt myself blushing and I curtseyed. It occurred to me that we were matched up because of our costumes.

The gentleman wrote on the pad, *Shall we start the game?*

*Wait for the bell* I wrote in response.

The clock showed we had 10 minutes before the game started. The gentleman gestured with his hand that we should go to the punch bowl and I shook my head yes. He then offered his arm which I accepted. We walked arm and arm to the punch bowl where he offered me a cup of punch.

We both just stood there staring at each other, wondering about each others identity. I don't remember ever seeing anyone like him at the mountain. I figured he must be one of Mrs. Whitten's friends because I would definitely remember him if I met him before.

The bell rang and we opened our list. It was amazing, we thought so much alike that we finished the game quickly. We turned in our sheet and found out that we were the third couple to finish. The monitors gave us a slip of paper with our team number on it along with the time we finished.

Another monitor walked up and advised that Mrs. Whitten was requesting that all teams have their picture taken. The monitor advised that copies could be provided by the photographer. She then pointed to the direction of the photographer.

The gentleman offered me his arm and we walked over to the photographer. As we walked off the monitor reminded us not to talk.

The picture taking reminded me of high school prom pictures. The photographer had a backdrop of an old southern mansion that he used for us. My partner was placed directly behind me and he placed his hands on the sides of my waist. I started to move after the picture was snapped but my partner held me in position. He motioned for the photographer to take two more pictures, which he did with his digital camera. After the photos were taken we chose our pose on the computer and he printed up two pictures for us. He trimmed them and put them in a special holders that noted the date and location of the ball.

I took my copy and placed it in my purse while my partner placed his photo in his inside jacket pocket. He then patted it over his chest to signal that he would keep it close to his heart. I thought that was cute. Why couldn't I find a guy like this. Wait a minute, I found him and he's my partner.

We strolled back to the punch table and then milled about the room while the other teams were finishing up and having their pictures made. Mrs. Whitten then got back on the bandstand to make an announcement.

"Attention guests. Thank you so very much for participating in the game. The last entry was just submitted. Please make sure you have your photographs taken. The band will start up in a few minutes so dance and enjoy yourself. The winners of the hunt as well as the winners in the different categories will be announced at midnight when we'll all remove our masks and can speak again. Until then dance, and have fun" Mrs. Whitten said.

The music started and my partner motioned for us to go out onto the dance floor. He led me to the floor and bowed. I lightly curtseyed and offered him my hand. We then started dancing, or were we gliding. I felt like I was dancing on air. Dancing with my partner was nice and quite different from earlier when someone was complaining about the band. Things were going so well that I began to wonder if this was real or if it was a dream. If this was a dream it's one of my the best, barring my dreams about Jack.

While we were dancing I checked out my partner. No wedding ring, no tan line, no indentation where a ring might be worn. Maybe I should get to know him better. We continued dancing the next few songs and then took a break. I noticed Janet heading towards the ladies room and so I excused myself.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~



I followed Janet into the ladies room.

"Oh Fairy Godmother, thank you for granting my wish" I said to Janet.

"Your wish is my command Scarlet" Janet retorted.

"So how is Prince Charming?" I asked.

"Very Charming. So how is your Rhett Butler?" she asked.

"Do you really think he looks like him?"

"Close enough if you ask me. So Ms. Scarlet have you charmed your way into his heart or have you met your nemesis?" Janet asked.

I told her that I was working on it and having fun. She asked if I checked for any signs of him being married, I said I did. Janet said that she was glad that I was having a good time and said that I should loosen up and relax more often. She said that tonight I should take a chance with this guy and see what happens. I decided that I would do that.

"Ms. Scarlet? Are you ready to go back out there and face our gentlemen?" she asked.

"Fairy Godmother, let the fun began" I said.

"Go get him Scarlet."



*~*~*~*~*~*~*



Upon my exiting the ladies room I noticed my partner standing by a column waiting for me. I decided to take Janet's advice. I strolled up by my partner, smiled, batted my eyes, fluttered my fan in front of my face and walked past him. I wanted to see if he would follow.

Janet watched as her friend strolled over to the Southern Gentleman and flirted with him. She was surprised to see her walk past the gentleman. Just then she saw the gentleman quickly follow after her friend. At that moment she knew he was hooked. She was so glad that Sam was taking a chance and not waiting for someone who would never defy military regulations. She was glad that Sam was moving on.

At that time Prince Charming came up and offered his arm to Janet. He escorted her onto the floor and held her close as a slow song started to play. Janet's attention was now fully concentrated on her Prince Charming, and not her friend.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~



I wonder if I did the right thing flirting with him and then walking off. What if he didn't follow? What if he follows? What am I going to do?

I stopped at a table by the back exit doors, wondering if I should make a break for it when I felt his hands on my bare shoulders. It sent a chill up and down my spine. I'm embarrassed by my reaction to his touch, so I continue to face away from him. He leans down and kisses a part of my exposed shoulder, startling me and causing me to gasp. This makes my bosom rise up which he notices. Then he moves his head to my other shoulder, brushes back some curls and kisses the back of my shoulder where it meets my neck. Again I gasp, causing my bosom to rise again. Now I'm certain that he did that on purpose to see my breasts rise.

I turned around and was about to give him a pop in the mouth for his actions. However, when I turned around I looked into his eyes and my anger just melted away. His eyes were so warm, so soft, so inviting.

All I want to do is kiss him. There were alarms going off in my head, telling me to be careful. He leaned in and kissed me lightly on the lips. He was very gentle and paused for a moment to see if I objected. I reached up and touched his face with my gloved hand then leaned forward and kissed him. He deepened the kiss and all I wanted to do was to stay there kissing him. He then trailed kisses down my neck, sending chills all over me.

He stopped and looked me in the eye and then looked at the exit doors. He looked back at me with a suggestion posed in his eyes. I smiled and shook my head in agreement to his suggestion. We exited the doors trying not to draw attention to our exit.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~



As we were walking in the lobby he started to speak, but I held my finger up to my lips motioning for him not to say anything.

*My room?* he wrote on the pad.

I shook my head in agreement. We entered into the elevators and went up to the 7th floor. While standing outside his room every brain cell in my head is screaming at me, telling me to turn around and run away. Yet my heart's desire was telling me to take a chance, and I decided to follow my heart's desire, or was it just desire. I hadn't been with anyone since Jonas and I longed to be touched in that way again. My gentleman opened the door and I stepped in.

He started kissing me very enthusiastically and pulling me tight into his embrace. He took off my mask very quickly and this action made me panic. I stepped back away from him and he must have seen the fear in my eyes. I then picked up the pad.

*Sorry, a little bit nervous I guess. Can we slow down some?" I wrote.

He wrote, *Sorry. Should I continue?"

I wrote, *Yes, but a bit slower please."

He gently kissed my lips and our kissing deepened. I was enveloped in his kisses and wanted him to proceed further. Still, there was a nagging little voice in the back of my head telling me to be careful. I eased out of his arms and picked up the note pad.

I wrote, *Please, no talking. I like a mystery.*

He shook his head agreeing with the suggestion.

*No lights please. It heightens the mystery,* and again he agreed.

He then grabbed the pad and wrote *Anything else?*

I took the pad back and wrote, *Yes. Kiss me please.*

I wanted the hint of a mystery behind this rendezvous. Besides I didn't want him to know that I was Samantha Carter and I didn't even want to think about her tonight.

He started kissing me and soon I felt my desire for him rising. This wasn't like me, but I liked the way it felt. I stopped thinking about it and started enjoying the sensations.

I wanted more of him and wanted him now. I broke off our kissing, took his hand and walked over to the side of the bed. I faced the bed, and put his hand at my back zipper. He took the hint and unzipped my dress. At that time my breathing became shallow and rapid. He then turned me around and started kissing my upper breasts as my dress dropped to the floor. We quickly retreated to the comfort of the bed, with him turning off the lights before he climbed in.



*~*~*~*~*~*



"And the winner of the weekend to Hawaii is Team 6, who was the first couple to turn in the right answers. The runner up is Team 23 who will have dinner on the town in Denver" said Mrs. Whitten. Team 6 went up on stage and received their awards.

"The best costumes go to both members of Team 23, the Southern Belle and the Southern Gentleman" she said. She asked for them to come upon the stage so everyone could see their costumes and asked the crowd to encourage them. She started clapping and the crowd joined in. It took a moment or two for everyone to realize that they weren't in the room. Mrs. Whitten graciously moved onto the other categories.

Mrs. Whitten looked up at the clock and motioned to a member of the band. A drum roll followed by a cymbal crash sounded and Mrs. Whitten announced that it was midnight. She said that everyone could remove their masks and could speak now.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~



She let out a scream as she climaxed. Sam looked at the clock on the night stand and realized that it was midnight, she could speak now. However, right now all she wanted to do was catch her breath.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*



Janet wondered where Sam was and hoped she was enjoying herself. She hoped that her friend had found someone new and would give up on a certain someone who would never let his military guard down.

Prince Charming asked Janet why she was smiling and she said she was just thinking about a friend. She asked Prince Charming what he did for a living. He advised that he was a doctor.

"I know, I know. Your mother always told you to meet a doctor, right?" he said. "I hear that all of the time."

"No actually my mother never said anything like that. Instead she told me that I should become a doctor" Janet retorted.

"Are you a medical doctor or do you have your P.H.D.?" he asked.

"I am the medical type. Why?" Janet asked.

"My mother suggested that I should date a doctor. So are you busy tomorrow night?" he asked.

Janet smiled and knew that this could be the beginning of an interesting relationship. She had never dated a doctor before.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~



When I woke up something didn't feel right, so I was slow in moving so I could get my bearings. I felt someone next to me and realized where I was. I eased out of bed, picked up my clothing and went into the bathroom to get dressed.

When I came out I looked at my gentleman laying there in the dark. I remembered what we had done and started to smile. Then reality slapped me in the face, what the hell had I done. I had gone to bed with a total stranger. I was thankful he turned off the lights.

I knew he didn't work at Cheyenne Mountain because I would have remembered him. So I would probably never see him again. A part of me was happy with that idea, but a part of me wanted to hop back into bed with him for another bit of pleasure. Reality finally overtook me and I decided that it was time to become Samantha Carter again.

I opened the door and looked down the hall to see if it was clear of people. I then quietly closed the door to his room and rushed to the stairwell to escape back to my room.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*



He heard a noise that woke him from his sleep. He reached out for his partner, but she wasn't in bed. He looked around and realized that the noise he heard must have been her leaving. A part of him was thankful she left before he woke up because the mornings after are always so awkward.

He reached out to where she had been laying and pulled her pillow up to him. He could still smell her perfume on the pillow, and he inhaled deeply. He thought about his night with his beautiful partner. The thoughts brought a smile to his face as he fell back asleep.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Monday morning everything and everyone seemed to be back on track except for me. I couldn't get him out of my head. I would think about my time in bed with him, but then in my mind I would chastise myself for doing such a foolish thing. I had gone to bed with a complete stranger and hadn't taken precautions. What in the world was I thinking.

Janet snagged me in the hall and pulled me over to side.

"Okay Sam. I want details" Janet said.

"Major Carter" said General Hammond as he approached us.

"Yes sir?" I replied.

"I need to see you and the rest of SG-1 for briefing in thirty minutes" he said.

"Yes sir" I again replied.

I shrugged my shoulders and told Janet that I would catch her later. I then went off in search of the rest of my team.

I figured that they were probably in the locker room and so I went there first. I was about to knock when I heard some men inside talking loudly. They were talking about the ball on Friday night. I started to listen in on their conversation, hoping no one caught me listening in.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*



"Sam. Sam!" Daniel yelled at me.

I barely acknowledged him as I walked down the corridor.

"Sam, are you okay. You look a little sick. Do you need a doctor?" Daniel asked.

I said that I would be okay in a minute. I told him about the briefing and asked him to round up the rest of the gang. I don't remember much that was said during the briefing I was in such a state of shock. I couldn't get over what I had heard. My world was now turned upside down and I had no one to blame but myself.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~



"Chevron seven locked" came over the microphone. There was the familiar whoosh sound of the wormhole being established. Jack took lead as usual and was first through the wormhole, followed by Teal'c, Daniel, and I brought up the rear.

I walked up to the event horizon but didn't realize I had stopped just short of stepping through the wormhole.

"Major Carter sir" responded a guard.

"What is it Sergeant?" I replied.

"Ma'am are you feeling alright?" he asked.

"Yes, why?"

"Ma'am, time to step through please."

I snapped out of my daze and stepped quickly through the wormhole. I was off balance when I stepped through and was practically jettison out the other end of the wormhole.

"Nice of you to join us Major Carter. Now if you would take up your position until the area is secured, it would be nice" said Col. O'Neill in a sarcastic tone.

"Sorry sir" I stated as I was regaining my balance.

The perimeter was clear and we proceeded to a clearing about five miles ahead which had been detected by the UAV. As we walked I started thinking about that night and about what I overheard in the locker room. Suddenly I realized that everyone had stopped except for me. Col. O'Neill gave me a look that could freeze time, and needless to say I froze in my tracks. He then gave a signal for the team to take cover. When I got into position I shook my head to clear my thoughts.

The villagers that approached us were talking and seemed to be talking directly to us as they approached, although we were out of sight. Daniel came out of cover and greeted them. Daniel advised everything was they were peaceful and were inviting us to join them. He advised that they were speaking a derelict of Greek. We then proceeded to the village with the natives.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~



At the village I was separated from my team. I started to object when Daniel advised me that it would be alright to go with them. I was so tired of being treated so differently. The women escorted me to a small dome building. They started to touch and pull at my clothing and were touching my hair. Apparently they had never seen such short hair and everyone wanted to touch it.

Then an elderly woman came in and said something to the ladies and they stopped. She dropped some clothing down at my feet, pointed to them and said something to me. I figured that she wanted me to put on the clothing. At that time everyone left the dome.

I approached the group as Daniel was talking with the leader of the village. Teal'c was the first to see me, followed by Col. O'Neill who just stood there smiling. Daniel then noticed that everyone's attention was on something behind him so he turned around.

"Wow! Sam you look..." Daniel said.

"You look nice Sam" said Col. O'Neill, finishing the sentence for Daniel.

"Guys, this is getting old real fast. I wish it was you that was pulled off and dressed up for display once in a while" I said.

"It's you Sam" Daniel and Jack said in unison.

"Okay enough guys. One more wise crack about the outfit and you will be cruising for a bruising" I said.

"Major Carter, your appearance is very pleasing to the eye" replied Teal'c.

"Thank you Teal'c."

Now I didn't feel so bad. The outfit I was wearing reminded me a little bit of ancient Greece. The dress was more like a wrap made up of a light shimmering white material, which left one shoulder bare. The other shoulder was covered and this was where the material was gathered up and secured with a with a gold clasp. A thin gold bracelet was wrapped around my right bicep, and thin strand of gold twine with small flowers hung from clips in my hair. I liked the way that I looked, I could just do without the sarcasm from the guys.

We were allowed to meet with the village counsel to try and establish an opportunity to come back and visit. As usual Col. O'Neill was not in a mood to stick around and find out how their culture and our ancient cultures might be similar. Daniel advised me that I would be allowed at the meeting but since I was a female I was not allowed to speak.

We were led into an open air type of theater where the men were seated around a table. Daniel was speaking with them, Teal'c was standing guard outside, and Col. O'Neill was feigning interest in what they were saying.

"Carter. Carter, time to go. The meeting is over" said Col. O'Neill in a stern tone of voice.

Damn I thought. I had done it again. I was daydreaming and forgot where I was. I couldn't seem to concentrate on what was going on around me. I sat there dazed for a moment trying to get my bearings when Col. O'Neill placed his hand on my bare shoulder.

In a flash I was back in the ballroom with my partner, we were kissing, then suddenly we were laying down in bed. I became flushed at the thought and quickly jumped up to exit with the rest of the group. I took one step and suddenly the lights went out.

When I woke up I was laying down on a bed with the women hovering over me.

"Where am I? Where is the rest of my team?" I said.

At that time Col. O'Neill stuck his head in and asked if I was okay. I asked what had happened. He advised that I apparently stood up too quickly and I blacked out. He started asking me questions, such as how much sleep I had been getting and when was the last time that I ate.

I then realized that it had been almost 20 hours since I last ate, and even longer since I had any sleep. A few minutes later Daniel came in with a plate of fruit and something to drink. He said that he overheard me talking with the Colonel and realized why I had blacked out.

I looked outside and saw it was night time. Apparently I had been asleep for some time. Col. O'Neill advised that we were going to spend the night here. He said he wanted to make sure that I was in shape for the trip back to the gate. He also said that he did not want to risk walking in the dark, especially since the villagers advised that there were wild animals who came out to hunt in the night.

Things were going from bad to worse on this mission. First I have to get reminded to step through the wormhole, then the Colonel has to get my attention so that I can secure the perimeter, and he catches me day dreaming several times. Now the topper was my blacking out.

I walked back over to where Jack and Daniel were standing and assured them that I was fine. I told them that I had gotten so wrapped up in things that I had gone too long without food or sleep. Col. O'Neill told me to get myself checked out when we got back to the SGC. I asked the women if I could get my clothes back. I wanted to change into something comfortable, and they were brought to me. They exited the hut so I could change. Colonel O'Neill said that this would be my place for the night and for me to get some sleep.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



It was 0200HRS when I heard Col. O'Neill relieved Teal'c of guard duty outside of my building. I felt ashamed that they felt like they had to watch out for me like a small child. I remember him asking Teal'c if I was okay.

"She appears to be sleeping at this time" replied Teal'c.

"My watch now, go get some rest" replied Col. O'Neill.

I was so embarrassed about my actions. I felt a tear rolling down my cheek and I wiped it away. I turned away from the entrance and tried to go to sleep.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*



Suddenly I heard a noise like a moan from inside the building. I felt like I was intruding, but I decided to check it out and make sure that Carter was okay.

She had her back to the entrance which was unusual for her. She always faced the entrance so that nothing could sneak up on her. I was about to step back outside when I heard a painful moan coming from Carter. I walked over to see if she had been hurt.

Suddenly she went stiff as a board, then she jerked up into a sitting position. Her eyes were open wide and she opened her mouth like she was screaming but no sound was coming out. She closed her mouth then started taking rapid shallow breaths. Again her mouth opened as if she was screaming again, and tears were rolling down her cheeks. From the small fire inside the building I could see that there was pain in her eyes. I realized that she was having a nightmare.

She then reached across her chest with her right arm and started pulling at her left wrist and forearm. I heard her uniform rip and noticed that she was scratching at her arm with her nails and drew blood. I grabbed her hand to stop her but she kept on scratching herself, drawing more blood.

"Carter, wake up. Wake up. SAM! Wake up!" I said.

Her eyes blinked a couple of times and she looked at her hands. There was blood on her hands and her uniform. She definitely looked confused. She then looked up at me with pain in her eyes.

"Colonel? What...I" Carter said and then she broke down and started to cry.

I was lost and wasn't sure exactly how I should react. I wanted to protect her, but as her C.O. I was unsure it she might find my actions offensive. *To hell with regulations. She was my friend and she was in trouble* I thought.

I was still holding her hand as I pulled her to my chest. She was crying on my shoulder, I knew that something was definitely wrong. I released her hand and she wrapped her arms around me and continued to cry. I held her firmly and started stroking her hair gently, saying that it was just a dream and that everything would be okay. I was trying to think of the right words to reassure her that she was safe, and not sound condescending.

After about ten minutes she stopped crying and eased herself out of my embrace.

"Colonel, sir. Sorry about that. I guess I was having a bad dream" she said.

"No problem Carter, just call me the human hankie" I replied.

I saw the tears welling up in her eyes, and I realized that I had said the wrong thing. I then pulled her back into my arms so that she could cry again. I knew that she was a very proud and brave woman and this was unusual behavior for her.

"Are you okay Carter?" I asked.

She shook her head yes but stayed in my arms. It felt nice...really nice. Wait a minute she was my second in command, I can't think of her in that way. I started to get up to leave because she appeared to be doing better, and I wanted to avoid any awkward situations.

"Sir" she said between her sniffles.

"Yes"

"Please stay. I need...I just mean...it's just that..." she said.

"Here, let me a look at your arm" I said.

She presented her arm to me, and I pulled the first aid kit out of her pack and dressed the wound.

I finished dressing the wound and got off the bed so I could leave. She then reached over and put a death grip on my sleeve.

"Carter, I just need to put this up" I said. She then let go of my sleeve.

I could see that her dream really shook her up. I walked back over to the bed and told her that she should get some sleep.

Tears were welling up in her eyes again. I could tell that what ever she dreamed about was causing her a lot of pain. She grabbed my sleeve again and I sat down on the edge of the bed with my back against the wall, and brought my feet up on the bed. Carter turned on her side and quickly slip up next to me, draping her injured arm across my stomach and put her head on my tear stained shirt.

"I'm sorry sir...I'm sorry sir" was all that she said.

I stroked her hair and told her that it was okay and that she was safe now. I couldn't think of anything else to say. She kept on repeating that she was sorry for about a minute until she fell asleep half draped over me.

This was an awkward situation for me. I started to wonder what was in Carter's dream to have upset her this much. A few minutes after she was asleep, I tried to ease out of the bed, but she had a firm grip on my uniform which held me in place. I resolved myself to the fact that right now she needed a friend more than her C.O., so I stayed there stroking her hair. Occasionally I would tell her that everything was okay and that she was safe now. I told her that I wouldn't let anyone hurt her.

I woke up and the sun was already up. I felt her still in my arms and cringed. I had planned on slipping out of her grip last night but I apparently fell asleep. My mind started to wonder for just a moment, enjoying this feeling. Suddenly I remembered who I was and that this was my second in command. I again tried to extricate myself and she woke up.

"Colonel, what are you doing here?" Carter asked in a shocked tone.

I thought quickly and said, "You were having a bad dream and I came in to check on you."

I then pointed out to her that she had injured herself on the wires from the bed so I field dressed it. I told her that she fell asleep on top of me and I was trapped.

She looked at her arm and I said that I wasn't very good at field dressing wounds. I told her to have the doctor check it out on our return.

I stood up beside the bed and stretched out the kinks. I said that I would go see about some breakfast and would be back. I reminded her that she needed to eat.

I walked outside the building and found Teal'c standing guard.

"I thought I told you to get some rest" I said to Teal'c.

"I heard Major Carter crying and when I did not see you at your guard position I came out to check on her. I found you inside comforting her and I decided to take up guard duty so that you could assist her" Teal'c calmly replied.

"Thank you Teal'c. Make sure you get plenty of rest when we get back to the SGC. Can't have a sleepy Jafa around on our next mission" I said.

"I will rest before the next mission O'Neill."

"Is Daniel up yet?" I asked.

Teal'c advised that Daniel had come by and he sent Daniel to get some food for Major Carter. I found Daniel gathering enough food to feed a small battalion.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~



We said good-bye to the villagers and started our five mile trek back to the Stargate. On the way I started to wonder if I had been talking in my sleep.

I just couldn't get over the fact that the dream seemed so real. I remember waking up and seeing blood on my hands and uniform, then looking up into the Colonel's concerned face. I was wondering how many people I woke up with my screams last night.

I was having to concentrating on our walk back to the gate. I wanted to make sure that I didn't mess up any more. I had to be above reproach on the trip back considering my earlier actions on this mission.

Only Daniel and Teal'c were talking on the walk. Once in a while Daniel would drop back and check on me. I advised him that he didn't have to keep checking on me, and that I was fine. I must have given them quite a scare when I blacked out, because now they were watching me like a mother hen.

We were about a mile away from the Stargate and I decided that I needed to speak with the Colonel about my earlier actions. I was hoping that he wasn't going to tear me apart in his post mission report. I walked over to talk with him.

"Colonel, can I speak with you for a moment sir?" I asked.

There was no response from him. His eyes were straight ahead almost staring into space. I waved my hand in front of his face and his attention was drawn to me.

"What can I do for you Major?" he asked.

"Sir, I wanted to apologize for my unprofessional behavior on this mission. Sir, I had ..."

"Carter, drop it" he said in a stern voice.

"Yes sir" I said in a calm voice.

Now I was worried. Was he mad at me, was he going to rake my behind over the coals or what. My mind starting thinking of all sorts of scenarios of what could happen to me stemming from my actions on this mission. I looked back over at him and he was in the same type of trance, eyes straight ahead.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*



"Welcome back SG-1" General Hammond said as we stepped off the ramp at the SGC.

He asked how the mission went and Jack said that everything was fine. General Hammond said that debriefing would be in two hours. He said that should give everyone sufficient time to get cleaned up, and he winked at me.

We filed out of the embarkation room and turned our weapons into the armory. The guys were nice and told me that I could have the shower room first. I knew that they were worried about me. Heck I was even worried about me.

In the shower I realized that I had placed the safety of my team in jeopardy on this mission. I could feel the tears welling up, but I fought them back. I knew that I needed to talk to someone, so I was going to talk with Janet as soon as I got out of the shower.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



I walked into the infirmary and saw Janet smiling. I sat down on the bed and she started her examination. She was quick and thorough. Being such a good friend, she could sense that something was wrong.

"What's wrong Sam?" Janet asked.

"Janet, I don't know where to begin. I just can't seem to keep my mind from wandering. On this last mission I lost track of where we were" I replied.

"Have you been sleeping?" she asked.

"Apparently not enough because I stood up too quickly after a meeting that we attended on the mission and blacked out."

Janet got a concerned look on her face and asked me when my last period was. I told her a week ago. I said that I was on the pill, and everything was fine.

She looked me straight in the eye and said, "Okay Sam. What's really wrong?"

"Oh Janet, I'm so ashamed of myself and my actions. I lost it out there on the mission. I endangered my team's safety" I said.

"Sam, it's okay. Everyone is back safe and sound" Janet replied.

I was fighting back the tears in my eyes. "Oh God, what am I going to do?"

I then started crying. Janet put her arms around me trying to comfort me.

At the same time the rest of SG-1 was reporting to the infirmary for their post mission examination. Janet looked over at them and lightly shook her head no, and nodded for them to leave. They quietly exited the room and waited out in the hall.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



I eased Sam off of the table and escorted her to my office, closing and locking the door behind us. I then put her in the chair and handed her a box of tissues, and waited for her to talk.

It was several minutes before she spoke.

Sam then started talking about the night of the masquerade ball. She went on to say that she and her partner had exited the ballroom. I told her that I knew that and so did most everyone else at the ball. I said it was obvious when they didn't make it up on stage when they were called for best costume award.

"That's not all I won that night" replied Sam.

"Go on, Sam. Tell me what's wrong. I want to help."

Sam then went on to say how she and her southern gentleman had gone upstairs to his room and had been together all night. She didn't go into details and I decided not to push. She said that Monday morning she overheard some men in the locker room joking about something that happened at the ball. Sam said she was distracted several times but managed to hear that one of the fancy dressed gentlemen got lucky with his partner. She was distracted for moment but her attention was drawn back to their conversation when she heard one of them say that the guy had AIDS.

I asked her if she had unprotected sex with him and she shook her head yes. The tears were rapidly rolled down her cheeks as she answered.

She said that she had already been having feelings of guilt because she went to bed with a stranger, but they were now amplified when she heard that he might have given her a disease. She then went on to say that she was going to be paying for that one night of folly for the rest of her life.

I told her to relax and to sit tight. I told her that I was going to speak with General Hammond and get her excused from the debriefing and left her sitting in my office. As I closed the door she sat there with her shoulders slumped over and her head hanging low. I could sense that there was something else wrong but I didn't want to push it at this time.

Once outside the infirmary I ran into the rest of SG-1. Right away Col. O'Neill asked if Carter was okay. I was tight-lipped and continued to walk to General Hammond's office, with SG-1 right on my heels.

I knocked on the General's door and he had me come in. I then locked the door behind me which make him look up at me. I approached his desk and pulled a chair up close to his desk.

I advised him that Major Carter was suffering from extreme fatigue and that she was not in any type of physical or mental condition to make debriefing. General Hammond said that he talked with Col. O'Neill in passing and the Colonel told him that Carter had a bad dream on the mission. He asked if this might have anything to do with Jolinar's memories. I wanted to protect my friend and so I told him yes. I said that the memories were interfering with Major Carter's sleep and her judgment.

I recommended that she be placed on medical stand down for a week so that she can get her bearings and sort these memories out. He agreed and put her on medical stand down for a week.

There was a look of concern in his face which was genuine. He asked if she was able to get home or if he should have an airman take her home. I said that I would take her home. I asked him to have an airman bring my car out to her house, and he said he would take care of that for me. I thanked him and he dismissed me.

I then exited his office and again ran into SG-1. This time it was Daniel who was insistent on asking me what was wrong with Sam. I wanted to tell them how much their friend was hurting, but I couldn't because she was my friend and my patient. I noticed that Col. O'Neill was standing quietly off to the side and had a hurt look on his face. One of his team members was down and he couldn't help. I left them behind and continued to the infirmary.

I was about to enter the infirmary when I felt someone touch my shoulder. I turned around and saw that it was Col. O'Neill.

"Doc, I don't know if this will help Carter, but I need to tell you something" said O'Neill.

Finally, I thought, some light was going to be shed on this situation. I pulled him over to the side so that no one could hear because I could see that this was stressful to him.

He advised me that Sam had a bad dream on the mission and woke up and was screaming. He said that the odd thing was that as she was screaming, no sound was coming out. He said that she started clawing at her arms, she ripped her uniform and started scratching herself. He said that she had scratched so much that she started bleeding. He said that he lied to Sam and said that she cut it on the springs of her mattress. He said that she was very shaken up by the dream and that she was crying a lot. O'Neill then told me that she refused to let him out of her sight and that she was genuinely scared by what she had dreamed about.

I told him that might help and turned to go back into the infirmary. Again Col. O'Neill stopped me.

"If there is anything that the team can do to help, just let us know" he said.

"Right now all she needs is a little bit of rest" I said.

"Seriously Doc, if she needs anything, anything at all don't hesitate to call me right away." He gave me his card and wrote down his home, beeper, and mobile phone number and handed it to me.

I thanked him and told him that I would call him if she needed something.

He touched my arm and I looked up into his eyes. I could see how much this was upsetting him.

"She's an important member of the team, and a great friend. Please help her. You can call me any time, day or night. I mean it doc, anytime. The whole team is here for her, and so am I" said Col. O'Neill.

I reassured him that I would call if I needed anything. He then walked back down the hallway. I could have sworn that I heard him give a heavy sigh as he walked away.

I went back into office and found that Sam had practically gone through an entire box of tissues in my absence. She looked up and I told her that we were going back to her place right now. She said that she had debriefing and I told her not today.

"Thank you Janet!" she said.

I put my arm around her and gave her a reassuring hug. We then left the base in her vehicle and went to her house.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~



I could tell that Sam was still not telling me everything, but I decided that I wouldn't push it for now. I had already asked her if she was forced into sex on that night and she said that they both consented.

We sat down and talked for a little bit and I could see that Sam was tired. I suggested that she go to bed. I told her that I wanted to make sure she got to sleep before I let myself out. I told her not to worry about transportation because an airman was bringing my vehicle out to the house.

In no time flat Sam was asleep. I decided to watch a little TV until the airman delivered my car. When my vehicle arrived I started to leave but something inside me told me to stay. I called General Hammond to advise him of the situation.

I informed him that I was going to need someone to go pick up Cassie at school. I was saying the school name and address when I heard Col. O'Neill recite the information. Apparently the General had me on the speaker phone. Col. O'Neill said that he knew the school and it's location and volunteered to pick up Cassie. I told the General that fine because Col. O'Neill was on the list of people to pick Cassie up. Col. O'Neill said that he would take Cassie out to eat and take care of her until he heard from me. He told me not to worry about her because they would have a good time.

Suddenly there was an ear piercing scream coming from Sam's bedroom, which made my hairs stand on end.

I heard Col. O'Neill say "That's Sam," as I dropped the phone and ran into her bedroom.

She was sitting straight up in bed screaming at the top of her lungs. I called out to her but she didn't respond. I then realized that she was still asleep. I shook her to try and get her to come out of it.

"No, No, NO, NO!" Sam screamed.

"Sam. Sam, wake up, it's Janet. You're safe, you're at home" I said as I continued to shake her.

She then started to blink and come out of her dream. She looked at me and buried her head on my shoulder and started crying. I gave her a reassuring pat on the back and told her that it would be okay.

After about a minute she seemed to relax. I then got my medical bag and gave her a shot so that she would go into a deep sleep, too deep for REM. She was asleep in moments. I decided that I was going to spend the night to make sure she was okay.

I started thinking about what Cassie was going to have to dinner when I realized that I had dropped the phone when I heard Sam screaming. I rushed out into the living room to see if General Hammond was still on the line.

I picked up the phone and said, "General Hammond are you there sir?"

"Dr. Fraiser, is everything okay?" he asked.

"Doc, how's Carter?" Col. O'Neill interjected.

I informed them both that Sam just had a bad dream and that she was back asleep right now. I asked Col. O'Neill if he could drop Cassie off at the baby sitter and I would pick her up later tomorrow. He said he would be happy to take Cassie tonight and that he thought that he would grab Daniel and Teal'c. He said that they could all spend some time together and would have a great evening. He said that he could take her for the night. I thanked him and told him that I would contact him soon.

That evening I went to the hall closet and pulled out some sheets. I laid the sheets out on the couch and decided to sleep there for the night. I could have chosen the other bedroom, but the sofa was closer to Sam's bedroom and it would be easier for me to get to Sam in case she woke up in the middle of the night.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*



I wondered who turned on the lights then realized that the sun rising and not setting. I sat up in bed and looked around, then I remembered that Janet had brought me home. I got up and looked for her. I immediately saw her flaked out on the couch with the TV still going. She looked exhausted. I figured that I must have given her a hard night.

"Janet, wake up" I said.

"Sam? Good morning. How are you feeling?" Janet asked in a sleepy tone.

"A bit more rested than usual. Did I give you a hard time last night?"

Janet told me that I woke up screaming yesterday afternoon and she gave me a heavy sedative to make me sleep. She said that at about 0200HRS I again woke her up but this time I was just saying "No" and was not screaming.

I asked Janet what I was going to do if I was infected. I talked about how my whole life was ruined because I didn't think carefully about the consequences of my actions.

Janet stopped me and told me not to get ahead of myself. She said that she would take me to the hospital and get some tests run on me, and that after the results came in we would check out any and all options available to me.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~



At the hospital she did a thorough examination. She labeled my samples with a fake name so that no one would know who the subject was. She excused herself and went to the doctor's lounge and got her gym bag, and came back to where I was waiting. She said her bag had a change of clothes that she kept on hand at the hospital.

We left the hospital and Janet said that they would beep her when they got the results. She said that she thought maybe we should go out for lunch. During lunch both of us were very quiet. I know that Janet wanted to talk to me but I just didn't feel that this was the right place or time for that talk.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*



Back at my house we were watching some silly rerun when her beeper went off. I was so nervous that I almost jumped out of my skin when it went off. She got up and used the phone while I listened in.

"This is Dr. Fraiser. Yes. Read the results for me please. OK, OK, go on, OK, and the last test? No that has to be run now. I don't care what they said in the lab. You go down there and personally see that this test is run before 0800HRS tomorrow. If they give you any grief then you page me and I will make sure that they finish their tour of duty in Antarctica!"

Janet then hung up the phone and saw me looking anxiously at her. She then explained to me that not all of the tests were run and that she would not be able to give me accurate information until all of the tests had been run.

I told her that I don't know how much longer I could stand the suspense and she said that she understood. I told her that I was going to go take a nap and she thought that it would be a good idea.

The phone rang and I nearly jumped out of my skin. I couldn't believe how anxious I had become. I went to the doorway of my bedroom to try and listen in on her conversation.

It turned out to be Cassie, I could tell by the tone of Janet's voice when she talked. She told Cassie that I wasn't feeling good and that she was again going to spend the night with me until I felt better. She then asked to speak with Col. O'Neill.

Her tone changed as she spoke with Col. O'Neill. She asked how things went last night with Cassie. She was telling him to take Cassie to the baby sitter's house tonight, then asked if he was sure he could take another night of Cassie. She was quiet for a moment and I could tell that she was avoiding answering his questions. I then heard her telling him that she couldn't talk about it with him, but that she would be looking after me and making sure that I was okay. She reassured him that she would call him if they needed anything. She thanked him again for watching Cassie and hung up.

It seems as if I have always been struggling to prove myself worthy of being on this team and now this happens to me. I wish that he had been concerned about my welfare on a personal basis, but I knew that was not the typical style of Col. O'Neill.



~*~*~*~*~*~



It was close to midnight when I finally got ready for bed. I was having a hard time getting Sam ready for bed, she was still hesitating in going to bed. I think that it might have something to do with the nightmares that she was having. We had started talking about the incident at the ball but I'm positive that she was holding back some more information and that bit of information was what was causing her nightmares.

An ear-piercing scream woke me from my sleep. *Oh my God, Cassie!* I thought. I then realized that I was still at Sam's house and that I was on her sofa. I grabbed my medical bag and ran into her room. Once again Sam was sitting up in bed and was screaming at the top of her lungs.

"Sam! Sam, wake up. It's me, Janet. Sam, wake up!"

After a few moments of lightly shaking her and yelling at her, she finally woke up. I knew that she was not getting any better and that we were going to have to have a talk or else I would never end up getting any sleep.

Sam finally managed to calm down and I got her to drink some water. I asked her if she wanted to tell me what was wrong. She stated that she was just afraid that she was going to have to pay for her mistake for that one night of pleasure. She said that she didn't have much of a life to look forward to if she was infected. She kept on talking as if her life was over.

"Sam, just stop this right now. We don't even know the results of the test at this time so let's not jump to conclusions" I said.

She agreed that maybe she was doing a bit of jumping but she was just so scared.

I then asked her to tell me exactly what was causing her to have such bad dreams and she said that it was all based on her fear of being infected.

I looked at her and could see that she was hiding something, she was constantly averting her eyes and not looking directly at me. I told her that I had developed some pretty good motherly instincts since I had Cassie and told her that I could tell when someone was holding something back. I said that I could see that she was withholding something.

Several times she denied that there was anything else wrong. I guess I was tired of hearing her deny it so I took off the kid gloves.

"Damn it Sam, this has got to stop. I'm tired of going round and round with you about what's wrong. If you don't want to talk to me or anyone else on your team about what's troubling you then maybe you need to seek professional psychiatric help."

I could see that this statement shocked her. I didn't really want her to think that she couldn't count on me as a friend, so I then spoke to her using a softer tone.

"I'm sorry Sam, but everyone is so concerned about you. I know that there is much more to this than what you're telling everyone. Don't keep it bottled up inside of you, it will only hurt you."

She sat back and asked me to help her through this. I told her that I was there for her. She said that I was right and that there was a lot more going on, but that it was in her head.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*



I asked Janet to take a seat. I then cleared my throat to begin my story. I informed Janet that I had slipped off from the ball with the Southern Gentleman and that we had gone up to his room. I told her that we had been intimate that night. She asked me if I knew who he was and I advised her that we agreed to keep our identity a secret. She asked how this was done and I advised that I wrote it out on the pad. I informed her that we were together several times that night. She asked about protection and I said that we didn't use any. I realized that my whole life was going to be changed from this time forward because of my stupidity.

Janet sat there just listening to me and taking it all in. I could see that she was disappointed that I had not thought enough ahead to plan for a midnight rendezvous. She asked me to tell her about my dreams. I told her that I really didn't know exactly where to begin. She told me to take a deep breath, let it out slowly and to just start talking.

I did this and then began talking about my dream. I told her that it would start out with me at the masquerade ball dancing with the Southern Gentleman. We headed off to his room for a midnight rendezvous and I later learned he gave me AIDS. My father came back to earth and told me that the Tok'Ra can cure this disease.

Somewhere at the SGC a meeting of commanding officers is held and they decide that it would be worth it for me to blend with a Tok'Ra to see if I could be cured. I inform them that I didn't want to blend with one. They informed me that as a Major in the military I had no choice because it was a direct order. I told them that I would resign and they told me that I was crazy and that in my current mental state they would decide for me.

Suddenly I'm taken through the gate and I'm on a planet where the Tok'Ra are hiding. I had been fighting with them, so they gave me a shot which made me stop fighting and they had to carry me. They then held a Tok'Ra up to me so we would blend. I tried keep my mouth shut but Martouf opened my mouth and the symbiont entered me. I can hear myself screaming for help, but everyone one from the SGC who brought me here is just standing there telling me that everything is going to be okay.

Then I see him, never mentioning his name to Janet. I tell her that I see that he is upset and that suddenly my eyes began to glow. I tell her that he looks away from me and I call out to him. He still avoids looking at me. I said that it upset me more and I kept calling out his name.

Janet asked me why Col. O'Neill turned away. I started to answer and then realized that she had inserted his name. I told her that I didn't say that it was Col. O'Neill and she told me that I didn't have to say his name, it was obvious to her who it was.

I told her that I called out "Jack, help me!", but he just walked away.

Suddenly I was on some sort of raised platform, strapped down spread eagle with Martouf standing over me. I turned my head when I heard the whoosh of the Stargate opening. I saw that everyone from the SGC, including Jack was leaving. I called out to him and he looked at me.

"I just can't trust anyone with one of those things in them. I'm sorry" he says as he is standing on the steps to the Stargate.

Martouf then says, "Welcome back Jolinar my love. I have waited a long time for you."

I yell that I'm not Jolinar but still Martouf comes closer to me as I still lay stretched across the platform. Suddenly I'm wearing my Southern Belle dress and Martouf starts ripping it off me. He is tearing away the upper part of my dress and starts kissing by breasts. I scream out for him to stop, but he doesn't. Then he starts ripping away the lower part of my dress and petticoat. I scream again for him to stop.

"Come to me Jolinar my love" he says as his eyes start glowing.

I struggle to get out of his grip but find that I'm still tied down spread eagle on the platform. Martouf continues rip away my dress and under garments as I tell him to stop. I manage to free one of my arms and I reach over tearing at the strap holding down my other arm down.

I turn and see Jack standing at the Stargate event horizon and I scream, "Jack. Please help me! Don't let him do this to me. Please stop him Jack."

I see a tear roll down his face.

"He can no longer help you because you are no longer one of them. You are now a Tok'Ra and you belong to me now" Martouf said as he ripped away the last bit of my underwear. He starts loosening the lower portion of his clothing and climbs on top of me.

"JACK! HELP ME!" I scream.

"I just can't trust those things, and now you're one of them. I'm sorry Sam" Jack says. Tears are streaming down his face as he turns and steps through the event horizon.

"NO! Jack, please don't leave me. JACK!" I scream.

Tears are streaming down my face as I talk about this nightmare.

"Jack!" I scream out one last time. Just as I finished screaming out Jack's name is when Martouf violates me. I'm screaming at him to stop, but he doesn't stop. He looks up at me with his eyes glowing and tells me that we will be together forever.

I told Janet that this is when I usually wake up screaming.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~



I could see that Sam was trembling. Now I understand why she has been hesitating to go to sleep.

After a few minutes she calmed down and apologized for what her actions. She asks for something to drink and I suggest some warm milk. She objects, saying that she wants something harder to drink. I fix a very weak drink mixed with something to make her sleep. I knew that she didn't want to go back to sleep but she really needs to rest. I gave her enough of a sedative to put her into a deep sleep so that she wouldn't dream again tonight.

I retreat to the sofa trying to take in everything that I had just been told. I'm trying to watch television, but can hardly see it through my tear filled eyes. I was imagining Sam's pain and anguish, now I knew why she was so troubled. I realized that I was not crying and couldn't stop at this moment. I fixed myself a stiff drink to put me to sleep but that didn't help. I start tossing and turning and couldn't why I wasn't asleep.

I'm jolted out of sleep by my dream. I suddenly realized that I was feeling guilty for having encouraged my friend to take a chance and to be daring. What I had done was inexcusable. I knew that I really didn't force her to do anything, but I was just as guilty for encouraging her. I knew how vulnerable she was that night and I was reckless with my advice. I promised myself that I would be there for Sam, no matter what. Somehow I would make it up to her. She wouldn't go through this alone.



The End.