samandjack.net



Checking his supply of ammunition one more time, Colonel Jack O’Neill looked over at Captain Sammantha Carter. She nodded that she was ready and he indicated that she should take point. Slowly, cautiously they moved out. They had already survived one surprise attack, and O’Neill knew that they had to take the offensive if they hoped to win through. Winding their way through the dense woodland, they both concentrated on finding the enemy. When the tracks they were following split up to go in two directions, O’Neill indicated that Carter should go left and he would follow the tracks on the right. Hoisting her gun up into the standby position she started off down the trail.

The tracks he were following were very clear, suspiciously clear in fact. Moving into the cover provided by the trees and bushes he continued to follow the trail. At the last minute he caught sight of movement in the trees above his head. Looking up he could make out a shadowy figure obscured by the dense foliage. Raising his gun he snapped off a quick shot. It missed, and the figure darted out of view. He could hear the sounds of it’s passage through the trees, but there was no easy way of following. Grinning sardonically he carried on. "You’ll have to do better than that."

The tracks lead to a small clearing through which a shallow stream flowed. They led down into the water and disappeared. Crouching down to inspect the bank of the stream, O’Neill let his gun swing loosely. Some instinct caused him dive to the ground at the same instant that the sound of a gunshot reached his ears. He rolled to one side as the projectile hit the tree opposite. He carried on rolling until he was within the safety provided by the undergrowth. In a crouching run he made his way to where the shot had come from. His assailant had fled again, leaving nothing behind. The attacks were starting to irritate, which he knew was the intent behind them.

"Colonel." The soft whisper came to him from behind a tree. Having given him warning, Carter judged it safe to come forward. Gliding forward without a noise she moved close to O’Neill. Barely whispering she made her report. "They’re close. The tracks seemed to be heading back together to join up, but they’ve split up again." Pointing with her chin towards the trees on the opposite side of the small clearing she continued, "They’re moving in opposite directions."

"We’ll track one of them." Breathing the words into her ear, he made the motion of pincers snapping closed. She nodded in understanding and moved off to the other side of the trail. Silently they both made their way forward, trying to determine if the tracks would re-appear out of the stream.

Eventually they did, and they followed them into the woodland again. Brushing the branches carefully out of his face O’Neill edged his way forward. With a loud crack the dry twig snapped and he froze in place, his eyes flicking around. Silence descended as he stood motionless, until slowly the birdsong started up again. O’Neill wasn’t convinced, he could feel unfriendly eyes watching him. Instinct and gut feeling told him that the enemy was close by. Slowly he eased his foot off the offending twig, shifting his weight onto his other leg. Crouching down and holding his gun ready, he waited. Minutes passed and O’Neill’s uneasiness grew. When he heard the slight rustle to his left he spun round and brought his gun up. Too late he saw the shadowy figure rise up to the right of his position, lift it’s weapon and shoot. The sound of the gunshot was shockingly loud.

With a grunt of pain and staggering backwards from the close range impact, O’Neill looked down in stunned disbelief at the spreading red stain. The pain radiated out from his chest and his gun dropped from suddenly nerveless fingers as he sank to his knees.

"WhooHoo!" The triumphant cry echoed throughout the woodland as the unseen assailant fled the area.

Captain Sammantha Carter rushed over to O’Neill, and with a quick experienced glance assessed the damage. "Looks bad, Colonel. I’m afraid you’re dead."

"Dammit." Kneeling down to the ground and leaning sidewards against a tree trunk, O’Neill ran his fingers through the stain. Lifting his paint covered fingers up he grimaced. "Daniel’s been practising." He rubbed the area where the paintball had hit, feeling the beginnings of a massive bruise.

Sam grinned unsympathetically, "He was taught by the best."

Shaking his head and stifling his own grin, O’Neill denied this. "Sneakiness is not taught Captain, it has to come naturally. And Daniel is developing into one sneaky and devious... person." Looking down at the stain ruefully, he shook his head again. "This was personal."

"Well, you are the one who keep’s telling him that he has to learn how to defend himself. I guess he’s proving to you what he’s learnt over the last few months." Casting a quick glance round she grinned once more. Standing upright and saluting formally, she put on her best military voice. "Don’t worry Colonel, I will seek revenge for your dishonour." With one last barely stifled giggle she faded silently back into the woodland.

O’Neill sighed as he relaxed in the sunshine, in truth he was not too upset to be out of the paintball game. The last few months had been strenuous and he was grateful for the opportunity to relax and reflect. He thought of Daniel Jackson and unconsciously he smiled as he touched the paint stain again. Danny had done good on the last mission, and he deserved this moment of triumph. Of all the team, Daniel had been the most naïve in the beginning. Too open and trusting for his own good, he'd had to learn some harsh lessons. The only one of the team not from a military background, he sometimes found it hard to comprehend his team-mates actions and thought processes.

Considering their diferent backgrounds, they had gelled into a good team. One of the best he had worked with. They had successfully pulled off some difficult missions. He found it ironic that on one of their few days off they should get together and have a paintball game. For fun!

In the peaceful surroundings he soon relaxed, and was only disturbed when he heard the confused shouting coming from further within the woodland. Above it all Carter’s triumphant cry rang out. O’Neill smiled, his ‘death’ had been avenged as promised. He knew it would be, Daniel hadn’t stood a chance once Sam was on his trail. Carter excelled at this kind of hit and run guerilla warfare. After O’Neill, Teal’c had the most experience of military operations, but Carter had the training and the right mental attitude for hit and run tactics.

As he rubbed the bruise on his chest, he knew that he would take some ribbing over this. But he didn’t care. For now, all was well in his world. Putting his hands behind his head, O’Neill relaxed in the warm sunshine and closed his eyes.



The end.