samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: flutterbye6@hotmail.com

Rating: Um G I guess

Spoilers: None

Archiving: Sam and Jack and Heliopolis

Disclaimer: Don't own any of them never will, They all belong to Gekko, Double Secret, MGM and Showtime. I ain't making any money so don't sue me please.

Author's Notes: I can't believe I did this *sob* I can't believe I killed him. *sniff, big sob*


I stood among the sorrowful group of people. Everyone was either in black or military uniform. They didn't tell me what de died of, they never did tell me much about him, even when we were together. It was something about a bust mission or something. My eyes scanned the crowd, not listening to what the preacher had to say, and then I saw her. She stood between two men, both of whom frequently glanced sideways at her in concern. I realised that she wasn't really listening to the preacher either. She simply stared at the flag covered coffin before her. Her face looked to be devoid of all emotion except for the tears that ran down her cheeks, those she ignored as if they were nonexistent. Her hand idly caressed her belly which was heavy with child. Her dress blues were pulled tight across her chest and buttoned down as far as possible. The top of her skirt had been pulled up above her belly, but even in her state of disarray she still appeared the strong soldier. She held her head high and her back straight.

The preacher finished talking and six officers mover to lift the flag of the coffin and fold it into a triangle. When they were done one of them took the flag to her and held it out. She took a step forward and held out her arms for it. He pressed the flag against her chest and she lifted her arms to hold it tight against her heart. The officer stepped back and saluted her. She then stepped forward towards the head of the coffin and bent next to it. Still carefully holding the flag she picked up two handfuls of dirt. One for her, one for the child I suppose. She walked the length of the coffin letting the dirt fall gently through her fingers. When she'd finished she returned to her place. The two men smiled encouragingly at her, she didn't return the smile.

One by one the mourners began to leave. Until only the two men, her and myself were left. She hadn't moved position since returning to stand there. Both hands still held the flag to her heart and her eyes were once more unmoving from the coffin. The younger of the two men turned towards her.

"Sam we have to go now."

"You go I'll come in a minute." She answered him.

"But Sam..."

"Go Daniel, I'm not a china doll, I won't break." She pushed him away with one hand. Daniel sighed and left with the other man. After a few minutes it began to rain softly, as if the heavens were weeping with her, for her. I knew she wouldn't be leaving for a while if left to herself and I also knew catching pneumonia wouldn't do her or the baby any good. So I moved to her side. She looked up startled as if she'd only just realised that I was still there.

"I'm sorry." She apologised. I knew what she was sorry for. I smiled at her.

"Don't be. He and I had a wonderful life together, but we went our separate ways. I'm happy with Tom and he was yours to the last. I know that he loved you very much. More than I'd seen him love anyone in that way. You helped him to live again." I put an arm around her. "come on let's go or we'll be soaked and it probably won't be very good for the baby." she nodded seeing the wisdom in my words and turned and walked away with me.



*****



A couple of weeks later.



I held Sam's hand as the familiar pains tore through her body. Janet Fraiser stood at the end of the bed.

"Okay Sam once more. The baby's almost here." Janet nodded her head encouragingly at Sam. "Now push!" Sam pushed with all her might and a beautiful, but very wet baby girl slid into Janet's waiting arms. She lifted the screaming baby and carried her to her mother. Sam, now thoroughly exhausted, lay back onto the pillow behind her. She gazed in awe at the tiny being in her friend's arms. "Well one things for sure." Janet grinned. "She's got her Daddy's lungs."

"Oh yeah." Sam agreed, her first real smile in a long time lit up her face. While Janet took the baby, cleaned and dressed her, I helped Sam into a clean hospital gown and changed the sheets on the bed. Janet then returned the baby into her mother's arms.

"I'll go tell everyone." Sam smiled gratefully at me as I left. Out in the corridor four men waited anxiously. As I stepped out of the room I told them that Sam had a beautiful baby girl. They all rushed past me into the room. I turned to stand just inside the door. Sam lifted her daughter to show her to the men.

"Her name is Jacqueline Rei O'Neill, because she is the ray of sunshine in my life." Sam announced, explaining her daughter's middle name. The men all started to coo and talk baby talk to the baby and as I was beginning to feel out of place I decided to leave. I was almost out the door when Sam called to me.

"Thank-you for everything Sara. You're going to come over soon aren't you?"

"I have to go see to my own rugrats now but I'll be back soon." I assured her and walked out. I heard laughter and baby talk flow out into the hallway. I smiled, Sam's heart had begun to heal. Perhaps it wouldn't heal completely but enough for her to live. I left thinking how odd it was to be good friends with your ex-husband's widow. It had been good to see Sam smile again.



*****

The end.

So Feedback people? I'd really love some. Well good feedback anyway.