samandjack.net

Story Notes: This is my answer to the challenge: 'What happened on P3X595?'


When SG1 returned to the SGC all were feeling... delicate, to say the least. They had all over indulged the previous night and were now feeling the effects.

General Hammond regarded his best SG team. "Welcome back," he greeted them, only to see them all wince as he spoke, and he wasn't even speaking loudly. He lowered his voice a bit, "You are all to report to Dr Frasier and then to me to be de-briefed. I suggest you acquire a painkiller from the Doctor to help relieve those headaches," he said, displeased with the team. But he felt slightly more sympathetic when they had the grace to look embarrassed.

As they straggled out he noticed that Captain Carter and Colonel O'Neill seemed to be avoiding each other, and he wondered what might have happened while both were 'under the influence'.



*~*~*~*~*~*



The members of SG1 were sat in the briefing room waiting for General Hammond. Daniel held his head in his hands and Teal'c was sitting back in his chair with his eyes closed. They painkillers were starting to take affect but they still felt unwell.

Sam and Jack kept looking at each other and looking away sharply when the other noticed, then wincing when they moved their heads too fast.

When General Hammond came in they all turned their attention to him.

"Would somebody care to explain, why you are all... in your present condition?" he asked.

"Well, Sir," Sam started, "We had set up camp for the night and there were some bushes nearby with some tightly closed buds on. As it got darker the buds started to bloom and became beautiful white flowers. We noticed that the gave of a sweet odour but we dismissed it. The odour had an affect on us much the same as alcohol, but by the time we realised it was too late. This is why it affected Teal'c as well, Sir," Sam explained.

"I see," the General acknowledged. "We will continue this tomorrow at 0700hrs. I suggest that you get some sleep until then."

"Thank you, Sir," Jack said for all of them as they rose and left the room.

Daniel and Teal'c had been closer to the door and so were ahead of Sam and Jack who were still trying to avoid each others gaze. Finally Jack had had enough. "Sam," he said quietly. "Can we talk?"

"Colonel," Sam started.

Jack cut her off. "Sam, we need to talk about this. Please."

"Alright," Sam acquiesced. "Where do you want to talk?"

"My quarters?" Jack asked.

"Sure," Sam said, "give me a couple of minutes to change."

They had not changed since they had come back and Sam wanted to change into some fresh clean clothes, as did Jack.

"Sure, my quarters in ten minutes?"

"I'll be there."



*~*~*~*~*~*



Ten minutes later Sam knocked on Jack's door.

"Come in," came a voice from inside. "Its open."

Sam pushed the door open and went inside. "Jack?" she called out.

"I'm just coming, Sam. Sit down, make yourself at home," a muffled voice drifted from the bedroom.

*And men say women take a long time getting ready!* she thought to herself with a smile.

Jack came out just at that moment. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing," Sam said defensively.

Jack let it drop so he could broach the subject he had asked her there to talk about. "Um... Sam, about last night, I sorry."

"I'm the one who should be apologising, Jack. I was the one that crept into your tent and started kissing you and, well..." Sam told him and she could feel the colour rising in her cheeks.

"Yeah, but I didn't try to stop you at first, its my fault that clothing started... that things went as far as they did."

"But Jack, we did stop. And the whole reason we were in that situation was because of me."

"We should stop arguing about who's to blame, because I doubt that either of us will win," Jack said quietly.

"Yeah," Sam agreed.

They both sat back and there was a comfortable silence. Suddenly Jack remember something Sam had muttered to herself as he was leaving her tent after taking her back there.

"Um, Sam, last night you said something as I was leaving your tent and I was wondering - did you mean it?" What he thought he had heard was: 'One of these days I'm going to do that do you sober!'

Sam suddenly found the floor a fascinating sight - so fascinating in fact that she couldn't take her eyes off it. "Yes," she mumbled quietly, so quiet that Jack didn't hear what she said. The only indication he had to the answer was that she seemed so embarrassed and would not look at him.

He got up and knelt down in front of her, and putting his finger underneath her chin he raised it and so that he could see her face. "So," he left it hanging.

"So what?" Sam asked.

"Do you feel sober yet?" he asked her with a smile.

Sam smiled back at him, as she realised that he wanted this too. "Yes," she whispered.

Jack slowly moved forward to touch his lips to hers gently. Just the lightest sent a jolt of electricity running through Sam and she leaned forward to Jack to re-capture his lips and kiss him again. She moved her arms to wrap around his neck and he moved his hand to cup her cheek, the other moving to circle her waist. This time they didn't break apart until both were in desperate need of air, only to find each others lips again.

When they came up for a second time, Sam stopped. "Jack, I want to do this slow," she said quietly. "I don't want to rush into this, we have plenty of time to get to know each other."

Jack nodded, breathing heavily. "We can do this as fast or as slow as you want, Sam. There's no rush." Jack was feeling out of breath, and thirsty. "Do you want a drink?" he asked Sam.

"Are you trying to get my drunk again Jack?" she asked.

Jack smiled. "That does have a certain appeal, but that's not what I had in mind."

Sam tried to look disappointed, but failed miserably. She nodded. "Water please," she told him.

When Jack came back with their drinks he sat down on the couch next to her and they talked and sipped their drinks, curled up together, Sam's head resting on Jack's shoulder and his arm around her shoulders.

And sitting like that they eventually fell asleep.



*~*~*~*~*~*

The End.