samandjack.net

Story Notes: Spoilers: 100 Days

Feedback: solitarygurl@gmx.net


I am not a hero. And, quite frankly, I'm tired of everyone thinking I'm one. I have feelings. Just because I never let them show, doesn't mean they don't exist.

Jack O'Neill, war hero. Commanding officer of the best team ever to go through the Stargate

Sun glinted in my eyes. It shone brightly, Hot. Thirsty. But I can't stop.

"Would you like a cup of water Jack?" her smile so cool and refereshing as the clear pure water going down my throat. Her hairblowing in the wind. But I can't stop, I have to keep digging. I have to get home. I have to save the galaxy.

"Won't you come inside? I made us some dinner." I'm hungry, and she wants to feed me. have to keep digging... have to keep digging.... have... to... keep...

"The food is getting cold Jack."

The food is getting cold. The food she made me because I'm hungry, because I've been working all day. I've been digging in the the hot sun all day. Digging... why the hell do I have to keep digging?

Ahh... yes, I owe it to the rest of my team, to the SGC, to the United States Air Force, to Earth. I owe it to the rest of the galaxy.

But what do I owe myself?

Always about saving other people. Fighting the wars of others. What about my wars, my wants, my happiness? Why do I always have to be the hero? I hate being the hero. I never asked for that position, so why does everybody always expect me not to give up, to fight till the very end? Well, I hate doing what everybody expects of me.

A hero always has his downfall. Mine didn't happen in an Iraqi prison, it didn't happen when my son died facing the barrel of my gun, it didn't happen when my wife left me, or even when I was about to freeze to death in the middle of Antarctica. No, my demise came when I was offered all the comfort I could ever want. The Hero fell in Edora, where he became his own hero.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Love it? Hate it? Lemme know :)