samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: bambam126@hotmail.com Feedback, please???

Spoilers: 100 days, COTG, i think that's all

Archive: knock yourself out, just tell me where it goes so i can visit!

Authors Notes: Thanks so much to Becca and Flo!!! You guys are the best!! I wouldn't have done this without you!


Sam’s POV:



So I guess you could say it started slowly. All right, most people would say *very* slowly. In my opinion though, love is one of those things best not rushed into. Besides that, for quite a long time these feelings were considered a court-martialable offence – *not* a big incentive.

Despite what Daniel thinks, it *didn’t* start at the very beginning either. Sure that day way back when, when I first walked into the briefing room at SGC and met our infamous Colonel O’Neill, there was an attraction. I mean he is one hell of a good-looking man and I’m not blind. But at the time I was very professional and falling for my commanding officer was the farthest thing from my mind. He pretty much felt the same way; hell he didn’t even like me at first! I had to grow on him I guess. So yes, the attraction was there and of course the obligatory flirting soon came as well, I think it’s just one of those reflex things. But it actually took a year or two for the love to start, and as I said before, it came slowly. At the time I was oblivious. I was focusing on my work, my family, my friends, but now that I look back I see how obvious it was and how inevitable. How could I work next to such a man, such a strong, loyal, trust-worthy, intelligent (in his own way), determined man for so long and *not* fall in love with him?

I guess I first became aware of my feelings when he was stranded on Edora. I worked day and night for three months to get him back. I didn’t quite understand why at the time, I just knew that my life wasn’t the same without him, wasn’t right without him in it. I knew nothing could ever come of these feelings so I pushed them aside. What else could I do? Seeing him with Laira tore me apart at first, but I understood. Just because I had feelings for him didn’t mean he couldn’t have a life. We weren’t together, we *couldn’t* be together – it was hopeless. He had every right to try to find happiness. Besides the fact, at the time I don’t think he was aware of his feelings for me, or at least the solider in him wouldn’t let him be aware of them. So it went for another couple of years, admiring from a safe distance. The two of us loving each other subtly at first then with greater and greater power, until neither of us could deny it, but still there was nothing we could do. Nothing was said and nothing was ever done. I don’t think we were even consciously aware of how the other felt.

Then the day came when General Hammond decided to retire. He said he couldn’t watch us save the world forever. We’d given him one to many frights over the years and his heart couldn’t take it anymore. It was hard letting him go. He had grown on us and we all loved him dearly, even Teal’c, and we knew the SGC would never be the same without him. But with heartfelt promises of keeping in touch, we said good-bye. Just before his final departure, General Hammond called the colonel and I into his office and *that* was when it truly got started.

"I just wanted the two of you to know that as my last act as General and Base Commander I spoke to the President about a …personal concern of mine.." The General handed Colonel O’Neill a folder, which he opened to read the document inside. His chin actually dropped. For once in his life Colonel Jack O’Neill was at a complete loss for words. He looked dumbfounded. The General just smiled and I was very confused.

"What is it, sir?" I asked in general, not knowing or caring who would answer. The Colonel looked questioningly at General Hammond, who just grinned all the wider and nodded his head. Still looking baffled Colonel O’Neill finally answered.

"It’s authorization for a breach regulation to permit a marriage between the new SGC General and his 2IC." Now it was my turn to be dumbfounded. The announcement had been made yesterday that Colonel O’Neill would be promoted and replacing General Hammond, while I would be given command of SG-1 and placed as second in command of the Base. All I could do was stare. That was pretty much all the colonel-soon-to-be-general could do as well.

"I expect to be part of the wedding," Hammond said with a pat on Jack’s back before leaving.

Then there was silence. I think we literally heard a pin drop. Finally Jack turned to look at me: "I guess I wasn’t as good at hiding my feelings as I thought."

"I was going to say the same thing, General," I replied.

And that, as they say, was that.



Jack’s POV:



Sam may be an Airforce Major and one of the best soldiers I’ve ever served with, but she’s a hopeless romantic. That was, most definitely, not *that*. There had been so many barriers, so many obstacles that had stood in the way of Sam and I being together that standing there in that office staring at her, I found it difficult to think or to even move.

Sure I loved her, I realised that when I had finally admitted that I’d lay down my life just to see her smile. A heart used to rejection though doesn’t quite know what to do when suddenly faced with requited love.

For me I guess it started that very first day in the briefing room when she looked me straight in the eye, faced down all my crap and challenged me to arm wrestle. Now that took *guts*. She was right too, once I got to know her I *did* like her. I couldn’t help it. I couldn’t help that my feelings for her grew beyond like either. How could anyone not fall in love with such a wonderful woman? She’s the strongest, smartest, most courageous person I’ve ever met.

Look at what she’s had to deal with over the years: Goa’uld, Jolinar, Maybourne, saving the world, saving me. She’s done that more than I’d care to admit…saving my hide I mean. Not only does she put up with me but she’s repeatedly put herself on the line for me. For some reason beyond my comprehension, she cares about me. I’m not sure if that makes her the bravest woman in the world or the stupidest.And for some reason she doesn’t even think I’m in love with her.

Okay so it took *me* a while to realise it, but she’s suppose to be the smart one out of the two of us. I think I finally realised my feelings for her when she was taken over by Jolinar. The thought of losing her scared the crap out of me.

As much as I wanted to be with her after that I knew I cared about her far too much to ever complicate her life or endanger her career like that. So I stayed silent and tried to move on. I tried to start a new life with Laira, as hard as it had been, and for a time it looked like it had worked. But then Sam found me and all thoughts of Laira quickly flew from my brain. She paled in comparison with Sam, everyone and everything did. Still though I could do nothing and I resigned myself to loving from a far.

Then the general decided to retire, I got promoted and Hammond gave me this paper. Funny how everything in my world could suddenly be turned upside down with one simple piece of paper.

"I guess I wasn’t as good at hiding my feelings as I thought," I said.

Okay, not my best line ever, but at the moment even my infallible sarcasm was failing me.

"I was going to say the same thing, General," Sam replied, a little twinkle in her eye.

I was shocked. Hell I was just happy she wasn’t running away screaming at the mere thought of marrying me, I surely didn’t know what to do now.

"So…what do we do, Major?"

"Well I know the choice of best man is up to you, sir, but I think we could make the general a groomsmen or something." Sam said with a huge, gorgeous smile.

God I love that smile. I’d do anything just for *that smile*.



Copyright (c) 2000 Bryn Moser So??? what did you think? i'd really appreciate feedback, but be kind it was my first!! :0)