samandjack.net

Story Notes: Spoilers: The film, Children of the Gods, Enemy within, In the line of duty, Tok'ra, Solitudes. I think that's it.
Sequel: This is the sequel to Getting Over You, which is the sequal to Time of Need.
To hopefully avoid confusion you just need to know I'm using Burns as Sara's surname. There is a lot of gender swapping in this story.


Captain Samantha Carter was walking along one of the SGC corridors towards the gate room when she she heard someone call her name from behind her. She turned to see Major Ryan Eliot, "Yes, sir?"

"May I have a word with you?"

"Certainly," she said stopping to let him catch up with her. He grabbed her wrist and pulled her into the nearest empty room.

"In private," he said as he kissed her.

"I take it this isn't work related."

He kissed her again, "Nope. We need to talk."

"Someone got out the right side of bed this morning."

"Any side is the right one when you're on the other side."

She looked up at him and tried to smother a smile, "Try to calm yourself. We are at work you know. Not that this isn't nice." She reached up and kissed him.

"Back to the topic of this secret rendezvous. We need to set a date for our wedding." His arms were still tightly wrapped around her waist.

She stiffened and tried not to let him see her smile fade. She took a breath. Why was she so paniced? She loved Ryan and they got on great together but marraige made everything seem final. "Sure."

"How about two months from today?" He asked, not noticing her discomfort.

"Two months, are you sure that's enough time to get everything ready? I mean there's the rings, dress, flowers, bridesmaids, invitations not to mention a place for it."

"I've got everything sorted," he beamed.

She raised her eyebrows, "You've sorted everything?" She tried to pull away.

"Yeah, I get bored when you're away on missions so I found something to occupy my time."

"This is my wedding too, you know? Don't I have a say in anything?" Her voice had risen.

"Of course you do, I just thought I'd..." She cut him off.

"You just thought you'd try to run my life. Well, I can run it perfectly fine on my own, thank-you."

"I'm not trying to run your life, I'm just trying to," she cut him off again.

"You are trying to run my life. I have to go." She opened the door and walked out before he could say another word. She slammed the door closed and tried to calm herself as she headed to the gate room.



xxxxx



Colonel Jack O'Neill was stood in the gateroom. SG-1 was supposed to have shipped out five minutes ago but two members were late. Daniel was always late but Carter wasn't. He tried to stay calm as it would not do him any good if he started to get angry or jealous again. He would probably get another slap from her if he did. Just then she walked in.

"You're late, Captain."

"Sorry, sir," she said taking a deep breath to calm herself, "Where's Daniel?"

"First things first. Why are you late?" He asked. She did not look happy and she she shot him a death glare to proove it.

"It's of a personal nature."

"Your personal life shouldn't be interfering with your work, but I'll let it slide this once seeing as Daniel's not here yet."

Just then Daniel walked in. He was fumbling about with his backpack and trying to put something in it while it was still attached to his back.

"You're late," Jack said getting a weird sense of deja vu.

"Sorry, Jack but this thing won't fit. I've spent the last ten minutes trying to put it in but it won't." He said turning round like a dog chasing its own tail.

"Give it here," Jack said snatching the rectangular device from Daniel and putting it in the backpack, "What is this thing anyway?"

"It's an updated computer system which allows me to..."

Jack cut him off. "That's fascinating but we gotta go." Jack looked up at the General and nodded. A few minutes later the destination had been dialed in and the gate was active. Jack went through first, followed by Teal'c, Sam and lastly Daniel, who had to stop to tie up his shoelace.



xxxxx



The team had been on P2R12 for four hours. There had been no signs of intelligent life so the team had split up. Jack had gone west, Sam had taken South, Daniel had headed east and Teal'c had gone north. Their time was up and Jack was glad. This planet was boring. There were no gun fights, no excitement, no pretty ladies just rocks. Already waiting for him at the gate were Captain Carter and Teal'c.

"Seen Daniel?" He asked as he approached them.

"Nope," Sam said and Teal'c shook his head.

"Daniel, come in," Jack said into his radio, "Danny, it's time to go." There was still no reply, "Daniel! Answer me!" Jack was getting worried, there was still no answer. "Let's go see what trouble he's gotten himself into," Jack walked off with Sam and Teal'c following.

As they approached the area Jack stopped walking. Sam and Teal'c stood next to him. They could all see Daniel sat on a rock about fifty metres away.

"He got me worried for nothing, he's just sat there relaxing." Jack said.

"Hey, I'm stuck!" Daniel shouted.

"Yeah, right." Jack said turning his back on Daniel.

Sam walked over to Daniel, "What are you talking about, Daniel?"

"I sat down and now I can't get up."

"Push yourself up by the hands."

"I tried that but got my hands stuck."

"You really are stuck to a rock," Sam said shaking her head, "It's original, I'll give you that."

"Just help me." Daniel said. She gripped his right arm and pulled. She was unsuccessful. She placed her knee on the rock for extra leverage and pulled again. "This isn't working." she said trying to put her foot back on the floor. She pulled at her knee when she realised that it would not come off of the rock. "Thanks," she said sarcastically, "Now I'm stuck." She turned her body round slightly as it was only her trousers that were stuck, "Hey, can you two please help us?" She shouted.

Jack looked over at the sound of Sam's shout. He saw Daniel still sat on the rock and Sam balancing on one foot. With a crease in his brow he turned to Teal'c and said, "What have those two got themselves into now?"

"I do not know, O'Neill."

"Let's go find out then." He strolled over to the two of them, "What's up, kids?" He stood next to Sam. She wobbled slightly and nearly lost her balance but he grabbed her under the arms.

"We're stuck," Sam and Daniel chorused.

"How exactly does one get stuck to a rock?" He patronized. He looked down at Sam, who he was still holding to prevent her from falling.

"You touch it." Daniel said simply.

Jack was still smiling as Sam turned to look up at him, "Find this funny do you? Well it isn't."

"It is from this position and did you think of just taking your trousers off?" He raised one eyebrow suggestively.

"I don't think so. Just get us unstuck, sir."

"Okay. Teal'c you pull Daniel and I'll pull Captain Carter. Don't touch the rock."

Teal'c nodded in agreement as he grabbed hold of Daniel under the arms and prepared to lift him upwards. Jack tightened his grip around Sam's waist. Her face a few centimetres from this. A few months ago he would have loved to hold her like this but of course now she was engaged to Ryan. Her crystal blue eyes bore into his deep chocolate brown eyes.

She smiled slightly as he looked into her eyes. His grip was strong and was constricting her diaphragm slightly. She could feel his warm breath on her cheek and she took a deep breath.

"On three," Jack said counting to three. He could feel Sam getting looser as he pulled and she broke free. At the same time Daniel broke free. All four of them flew through the air. For a split second Teal'c could see eight people falling to the floor but when he looked again there were only four. After the dust had settled Teal'c got up and helped Daniel to his feet.

Sam looked up at Jack. She was sprawled on top of him and she could feel his warm body beneath hers. Teal'c's voice snapped her out of any thoughts that she was beginning to have.

"Doctor Jackson is injured. He requires medical assitance."

Sam got to her feet and helped Jack to his.

"How you doing, Daniel?" Jack asked dusting himself off.

Daniel held out his hands, "Fine except for the pain of having the skin ripped off of my hands. I think Doctor Fraser should take a look."

Jack nodded and they began to walk back to the gate. Jack walked along behind the others thinking of what had just happened. He had been so close to her. Her scent had overwhelmed him and he had wanted to give in and kiss her but knew that he could not do that. For a nanosecond he thought he had seen something in her eyes, something more than usual but it had disappeared faster than it had appeared. Looking up at the woman in front of him he noticed that she was still covered in dust.

"Carter," she turned, "You're, uh, covered in dust."

"Where?" She asked trying to look.

"I got it," he said brushing down her back. Her backpack had been left at the gate and he could not help his hands from lingering in places that they shouldn't and he hoped that she did not notice. "All done," he said as they continued walking.

She thanked him and they continued their walk in silence. They reached the gate and Daniel had already dialed home. Teal'c and Daniel went through the gate first and Jack couldn't help but smile.

"What?" Sam asked looking at him with a sideways glance.

"Anyone else noticed Daniel's lack of clothing in the rear?"

She looked up to see Daniel disappear through the gate and she realised that he had not only left his skin on the rock. "We can't let him be embarrassed like that in the gate room." she said walking up to the gate.

"But it's funny." Jack said. They emerged the other side of the gate to be met by a crowd of armed soldiers.

"Identify yourselves," someone in front of them shouted.

"You know who I am," Jack said looking around at the people who looked different.

"Identify yourself!" The woman shouted.

Turning to Sam, Jack whispered, "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto."

"Silence!" A female voice said from the doorway. Jack turned to see a woman who was familiar yet different, "I am General Hammond, who are you and how did you get SG-1's code?"

Jack looked at the woman in front of him, come to think of it the majority of people in front of him were female.

"I am General Hammond, who are you?"

She had the same accent as his Hammond, "I'm Colonel Jack O'Neill, this is Captain Carter, Doctor Jackson and Teal'c."

"No, you're not."

Jack's eyebrows raised, "Excuse me?"

"The Colonel O'Neill I know is female, as well as both Dr Jackson and Teal'c are, whereas Captain Carter is male."

"Excuse me," Daniel said moving forward as all of the guns followed him, "I'm in pain. Could I get some help please?" He held out his hands.

"Forgive me," Hammond said, "We'll have someone show you to the infirmary."



xxxxx



SG-1 entered the infirmary with the women that the General had sent. A man approached them.

"Doc, this man needs medical attention," one of the soldiers said.

"Hi, I'm Doctor James Fraiser. Let me take a look at you," he said escorting Daniel over to a medical bed. "It seems as though you completely removed the epidermis of your hand. How on Earth did you do that?"

"We got stuck yo a rock," Daniel said. With a curious glance from James, Daniel continued, "When I sat on the rock I got stuck and when Teal'c pulled me free I left my skin behind."

"Teal'c?" James said turning round.

"Yes, Doctor Fraiser?"

"You're not Teal'c."

"Yes, I am."

"And who are you?" James asked turning to her patient.

"Dr Daniel Jackson."

"Daniel Jackson? How about you two?" He turned to the rest of the group.

"I'm Colonel Jack O'Neill and this is Captain Samantha Carter. You may think that we're weird but we know you as Dr Janet Fraiser."

"Okay," he continued with the medical examination of Daniel's hands and then bandaged them. He also gave his patient instructions on how to look after his damaged hands. "You can go now," Daniel got up from the bed and walked towards Jack and Sam. The Doctor smothered a laugh.

"What?" Daniel asked as he turned to find out what was so funny.

"It appears that you lost more than just your skin."

"Excuse me?"

"Did you happen to sit on the rock by any chance?"

"Yeah, why?" Daniel asked cautiously.

"Well those trousers will never be worn again unless you like walking around with a big hole in them."

"What!" Daniel said trying to look at his back.

"Oh yeah," Jack said feigning innocence, "I meant to tell you but it must have slipped my mind."

Daniel did not have time to make a reply as General Hammond walked into the room, "Everything okay in here?"

"We're ready to go." Jack said.

"We're going to take you to your counterparts room while we try and work out what's going on."

"Very good, sir, uh, ma'am." Jack stumbled.

"It's sir."

Jack nodded and followed the general out as Sam, Daniel and Teal'c walked off the opposite way with some soldiers.

"I take it that this is a female dominated base?" Jack asked.

"And yours isn't?"

"No, the forces are usually male dominated."

"The reversal in the forces may have something to do with the reason why your team is the opposite gender to my SG-1."

"Tell me about my counterpart."

"Her name is Jacqueline O'Neill. She married fourteen years ago and is still happily married."

"Any children?"

"Twins, actually. I'm their Godmother. They'll be five in a couple of months."

"Hang on a minute. If the sexes have been reversed, who gave birth to the twins?"

"Colonel O'Neill of course," Hammond smiled at Jack's grimace.

"What happened the first time you went through the gate?" Jack asked curious at what was different between their two worlds.

"We encountered Ra and set up an alliance with him."

"You formed an alliance with the Gou'ald?" Jack asked horrified at the idea.

"Yes, what's the problem with that?"

"In our reality they're the enemy."

"Our only enemy is the Tok'ra."

"They're our friends."

"Not ours. Our first encounter with them was just after we met Ra. A battle ensued and we killed their leader, Lantesh."

"We killed Ra and closed the gate for a year."

"Our gate has never been closed and the Tok'ra don't bother us anymore. Here's your room." She stopped and opened the door.

Jack walked in. It was definately different to his room. There were more personal possessions in this O'Neill's room. Jack voiced the other big difference, "Why is there a double bed in here?"

"For O'Neill's husband."

Jack stared at the bed and then at the General, "I better be going." The general walked off revealing the name on the door.

Jack looked at it curiously, it read Colonel and Captain J, O'Neill.

"Colonel and Captain?" Jack whispered to himself.

"Sir, what are you doing in my quarters?"

Jack looked up to see Sam stood in the doorway.



xxxxx



General George Hammond was sat in his office awaiting Doctor Janet Fraiser's arrival. She should have run a blood test on Dr Danielle Jackson and Hammond wanted to know the results. He looked up when someone knocked on the door.

"Come in," he said. The door opened and in walked Janet, "Have a seat," he offered.

"Thank you, sir."

"Do you have the blood test results?"

"Yes, sir and I have the results of a DNA scan that I ran."

"And?" He prompted.

"The blood test showed no abnormalities what so ever but the DNA scan did show something interesting. Her twenty-two autosomal pairs were exactly the same as our Dr Jackson's, however her twenty-third chromosome, the gender one, was different. Instead of having an X and a Y chromosome, she has two X. Other than that they're identical. As it is a fifty-fifty chance I'd say something in the other universe changed the results. If it were just Dr Jackson that was different I'd guess she was concieved a day earlier than our Dr Jackson, but it's everyone."

"Why is it everyone?"

"I don't have an answer to that question. Why is anything different in an alternate reality? Because somebody answered a question differently."

"I want you to think of a possible reason before the briefing with SG-1 this afternoon."

"Yes, sir."

"Dismissed."



xxxxx



Colonel Jacqueline O'Neill was stood in her counterpart's room. It was a bland room with nothing of a personal nature. She had already done a routine snoop of the room but other than some clothes in the wardrobe and some papers in the drawers there was nothing to suggest that anyone even lived here. She wondered where the rest of her team were and in particular where Sam was.

"Hey guard, open up," Jacqueline said and even with a feminine voice it was still recognisable as Colonel O'Neill.

"Yes, ma'am?" The guard said opening the door.

"I want to see either the General or my team, now!"

"I'll see what I can do ma'am."

A few minutes later the door opened again and in walked Captain Samuel Carter, Doctor Danielle Jackson and Teal'c. The three of them sat on the bed as Jackie sat facing them, "Have you all been treated okay?"

"Yes, they've been very kind." Danielle said.

"They would be," Teal'c said in her impassive, emotionless voice, "They are very similar to us."

"Not totally," Jackie said pointing to the single bed.

"It doesn't look like these quarters belong to anyone." Sam said.

"It's my room, my name is on the clothes in the wardrobe. Have you thought of how we got here, Captain?"

"Actually, I think I have a theory." Before he could continue the General walked in.

"I'm ready to discuss our predicament," he said holding the door open.

"It's about damn time." Jackie said walking out with the others following her.



xxxxx



General Hammond was sat at the head of the table in the briefing room with O'Neill and Carter to his left and Teal'c and Danielle on his right.

"Any ideas?" Hammond asked.

"Yes, sir," Carter said, "I believe it has something to do with the rock that Danielle got stuck to. When I tried to pull her off I got stuck as well. So, Teal'c and Colonel O'Neill helped us. They managed to break us free and the Colonel reports seeing eight people for a brief second. I believe the extra four people were your SG-1 and that they have crossed into our reality. In simple terms we have swapped places."

"How sure are you of that? And if it is right how do we reverse it?" Hammond asked looking towards the voice of logic and intelligence and instead of seeing Sam he saw Samuel. He couldn't get used to that.

"I'm pretty sure, sir," he said sounding just as confident and knowledgeable as the female version, "And I have a theory about how to return home aswell."

"I thought you might."

"If getting stuck on the rock brought us here then getting us stuck on the rock again will take us back."

"Alright I'll authorise a mission for SG-1 to return to the planet in two hours. Dismissed."

The team stood as guards approached them, ready to take them back to their rooms. As the General reached the door, Jackie said, "Excuse me, sir but what can you tell us about us in this reality?"

"Tell me about yourselves and I'll tell you what's different."

"Lets see," Jackie said, "I married Captain Carter fourteen years ago and we had twin sons, Julian and Tom, nearly five years ago."

"You married Captain Carter?"

"Yes, didn't yours?"

"He married fourteen years ago but divorced Sara when their son, Charlie, died."

"I know a Charlie," Jackie said, "Charlotte is the daughter of Sam's best friend, Shaun Burns, and my best friend, Rhianna Eliot."

"We know a Ryan Eliot, in fact he's engaged to Captain Carter." Jackie raised her eyebrows at this news, "How about you, Doctor Jackson?"

"My parents died when I was young and I don't remember much about them. I was asked to accompany Jackie and Sam on the first gate mission to Abydos, by Karl."

"Karl?"

"Yes Karl Langford."

Hammond nodded, he was getting used to the gender reversal.

"Anyway I met Sha're and we got married. He remained on Abydos while I continued to work on SG-1. A year later Abydos was attacked and Sha're was taken." Danielle said not wanting to talk any further.

"By whom?" Hammond asked.

"Lantesh." Jackie said, continuing for Danielle.

"Lantesh? But he's a Tok'ra."

"Yes she is, aren't they evil here?"

"No - the Gou'ald are."

"The Gou'ald are our friends. Ra invited us to stay on Abydos but we declined," Sam said, "Apophis gave us Teal'c on an exchange program."

"Who did you exchange with?"

"Major Charlene Kawalsky."

The General inhaled sharply, "He died five years ago when a gou'ald took possession of him."

"Five years ago?" Danielle said, "That was when Sha're was taken over by Jolinar."

"Jolinar took over Captain Carter here."

"Me?!"

"Yes, but as a Tok'ra she sacrificed herself for Captain Carter," after a pause the General continued, "If there's nothing else?"

"General Hammond," Teal'c asked, "Does your Teal'c have a child?"

"Yes, a son named Ryac. Do you?"

"My daughter died in a Tok'ra attack a few years ago. As vengeance I killed Lantesh."

"I'm sorry to hear that," the General offered as comfort.

"It is in the past." Was all Teal'c said.

"I do have a question actually," the General said as he turned to Carter, "Did your father, I mean mother, develop cancer?"

"Yes, lymphatic cancer. Amounet now shares my mother's mind." Carter said with a slight smile on his face.

The General paused a while before nodding and leaving.



xxxxx



"Sir, what are you doing in my quarters?" Sam asked.

Jack looked up to see Sam stood in the doorway. Looking from her to the door he murmured, "Oh boy."

Sam walked into the room, "Sir?"

"Looks like you're Captain J. O'Neill in this reality." he remarked sitting down on the chair. The guard shut the door and Jack looked over at the double bed. Sam followed his gaze.

"We're married!"

"With twin sons," Jack motioned to the drawings on the wall.

Sam walked to the wall, "From the detail I'd say that they're no older than six."

"Five. They're Tom and Julian," he handed her a photo of the happy family. She studied the two boys. They were identical with deep brown eyes, just like Jack's and light short brown hair. They were holding baseball bats and had the biggest grins ever on their faces.

Jack stepped behind Sam and glanced over her shoulder. He looked at the photo. The boys had Sam's smile. Standing so close he could smell her perfume. He loved that smell, he loved that smile, he loved... He shook his head and walked away from her.

Jack moved away, his warm breath on her neck was replaced by a cold breeze. She watched move out of the corner of her eye. She gazed at the photo she held in her hands and she sighed. This Sam had what she wanted, what was so close yet so far out of reach. Her finger touched the photo and she moved it over one of the boys cheeks. She smiled as she replaced the photo to its place on the desk. She turned to see Jack looking in the wardrobe. "Sir, what are you doing?"

He jumped at the sound of her voice. He turned, "Just seeing what my taste in fashion is like here." Holding out a lilac summer dress, "What do you think?" He asked holding it up against himself.

"Very you, sir. It would look perfect with matching sandles and possibly a small charm pendant," she said trying not to laugh as she pictured Jack in a dress.

"Very funny, Captain. Lets take a look at your clothes, shall we?" He began to open the other door but she pounced on his hand. A tug of war began with all four hands on the handle. His arms were wrapped around her and as he tried to pull the door open she pushed it closed again. She managed to maneuver herself so her back was to the door effectively stopping him from openening it any further.

"I don't think we should do that."

"Why not?"

"It's an invasion of privacy and I won't let you invade my counterpart's privacy."

Pulling the handle, he stabbed her in the back causing her to move closer into his embrace. He re-adjusted his grip to disable her and prevent her from moving. A teasing smile crossed his face. She tried to move back, her hands still attatched to his and the handle. In moving back, she brought him with her and she could feel his hands behind her. They were lightly touching her lower back and his powerful grip was constricting her movement. She knew it was hopeless so she let go of the handle.

As if a current of electricity shot through their closely joined bodies, they jumped apart as the door to the room opened. It was the guard from earlier.

"Your presence is required in the briefing room, sir."

Allowing Sam to walk out first, Jack followed her trying not to look at her. It was hard enough to resist her during the day but it was another thing when they would have to share the room that night.



****



"I agree with your theory, Captain." General Hammond said after Captain Carter had explained how they had crossed realities, "But it is too late to go back now. The mission is scheduled for ten hundred hours tomorrow. Dismissed."

The members of SG-1 went back to their quarters and Jack tried not to think about his earlier encounter with Sam. How could he not think about it though? He had seen something in her eyes. Something that suggested he had not been alone in his feelings.



xxxxx



Colonel Jacqueline O'Neill was stood next to the rock from earlier on and she was bored. Sam's theory wasn't working. Danielle had sat on the rock but hadn't got stuck. The rest of the team had tried but they had all been unsuccessful at getting stuck and O'Neill was ready to call it a day. They walked back to the gate and upon emerging they knew they were still in the wrong reality.

"What are you doing back here?" George Hammond asked.

"It didn't work, sir," O'Neill said.

"Debriefing in ten. We need a new plan." The team walked off to the briefing room.

General Hammond walked into the briefing room. The alternate SG-1 were already sat down and he sat at the head of the table, "Any ideas?"

"Yes, sir," Samuel said, "I believe that both SG teams were at the rock at the same time and did the same actions. That caused us to be exchanged. Both teams would, therefore, need to be at the rock doing the same actions for us to go back."

"Any ideas on how we get the other team to go to the rock?" Hammond asked.

"Sit and wait, sir," O'Neill said, "I suggest we go through tomorrow morning and wait for someone to get stuck."

"Agreed. You leave at ten hundred hours tomorrow. Dismissed." The team nodded and walked out.



xxxxx



Half an hour later there was a knock on Samuel's door. "Come," he called.

Janet opened the door and walked in, "Hi, Sam. Is that what people call you?"

He nodded, "What can I do for you, doc?"

"This may seem weird, me being the wrong sex and all, but I wanted to ask you some questions."

"Sure, have a seat," they both sat down and Janet began to talk.

"First of all, are you and my counterpart good friends?"

"We get on well, but we are two of about five males on the base."

"I was also wondering how did you and O'Neill get together? I mean in this reality he married Sara and their child died, whereas in your reality Shaun married Rhianna and their child is still alive and you're the one engaged to Ryan."

"I met Jackie at Shaun and Rhianna's wedding. Shaun and I had met in college and I was the best man. All the bridesmaids were teenagers or younger except the maid of honor, Jackie. She asked me to dance and I accepted. We got married five months later and the twins were born nine years after that." he smiled at the mention of his children, "I miss them. I miss Jackie."

"I think I can arrange for you to see her."

"Can you?" He looked up at her.

"Sure, follow my lead." Janet stood and knocked on the door, "Open up, the Captain's not feeling well."

The guard opened the door and Janet rushed out helping the 'ill' Sam. Once Sam was safely in the infirmary Janet did the same routine with O'Neill. Jackie walked into the infirmary and straight into Sam's embrace.

"Thanks, doc," Jackie said not moving out of the embrace.

"That's okay, Colonel." Janet said as the couple moved to sit on the bed. Janet glanced at the couple out of the corner of her eye. They were just sat there in each other's arms, smiling and holding each other close. Janet soon got passed the weird feeling of them being the wrong gender and saw only the bond that had been formed between them. When Sam had discussed how she met Jackie, Janet had seen passion in his eyes that she had never seen in her Sam's. What Jackie and Samuel had was far greater than anything Sam and Ryan could ever have and Janet only hoped Sam would realise that before something terrible happened.



xxxxx



Jack followed Sam into their quarters. Sam turned to face Jack once the door had closed. Neither of them knew what to do or what to say. Jack felt uncomfortable about earlier. What if she asked him something about earlier? Could he lie to her about his feelings?

"Sir, do you mind?"

"What?" He asked. He hadn't realised she was talking to him.

"Could you turn around so I can put on some other trousers?"

He looked at her legs. There was still a gaping big hole in her trousers where she had been stuck to the rock. He nodded and turned his back to her. He stared directly in front of him. There was a picture on the wall of the happy family. He couldn't bear to look at it. Why should this O'Neill have both Carter and a family when he himself had neither. Looking around him slightly, Jack's gaze fell on the mirror. He watched her go to O'Neill's part of the wardrobe and take out a pair of trousers. She hung them on the wardrobe door and after undoing her trousers she let them fall to the floor. Jack followed their descent with his eyes as they settled at her feet. He followed the natural smooth flow of her legs and muscles. He closed his eyes. He should not be doing this. He needed an escape from this room but that wasn't possible so he would settle for a drink instead.

Opening his eyes he couldn't help but watch her as she bent over and pulled the trousers up. She zipped them up and tightened the belt. As she turned he quickly looked elsewhere.

"I'm finished, sir." She said quietly.

He turned back to face her and she looked different somehow. Banishing whatever thoughts were about to present themselves, he decided he really needed a drinnk. As Sam sat down at the circular table he began to search the drawers.

She looked at him questioningly, "What are you doing?"

"I'm bored," he said as he found a bottle of whiskey, a pack of cards and a glass, "Wanna play?"

"It depends?"

"On what?" He asked pouring himself a drink as he took a seat opposite her.

"On what we play for and if I get a glass or not?"

Jack found another glass and a packet of jelly beans that they could use as bets. He poured her a drink and she downed it in one mouthful as she picked the cards he had just dealt.

"I bet you two jelly beans," she said.

He smiled mischieviously as he poured her another drink, "I'll see your bet and raise you three."



*****



They had been playing cards for the past two hours. Sam placed her cards on the table and Jack looked shocked. She smiled in victory until he showed his cards. The smile fell from her face as she realised he had won.

"I win," he said picking up the whisky bottle and pouring it into his glass. A small trickle emptied into the glass, "It's all gone."

"Now what?" She asked upset at the lack of drink.

"We play for something else," he said looking round the room Even though they were using sweets as bets the winner of a hand got another drink and with no drink left they had nothing to win.

"Like what?"

"How about the bed?" He suggested raising his eyebrows.

"The bed?" She turned to look at the bed and then back at Jack.

"Yeah," he dealt some cards, "Winner gets the bed."

"Okay," she said picking up her cards as she ate another jelly bean.

He looked at his cards and hid a smile, "I bet two."

She ate another jelly bean, "I raise you four."

She picked up another card and gave a slight laugh, "What?" He asked as he picked up a card.

"Nothing," when he continued to look at her she said, "Just get on with the game."

"Fine, I see your four and raise you six."

Sam looked down at her pile of jelly beans as she chewed on another one. She had twelve left. She swallowed her bean and looked at her cards, they looked good enough to win. "I'll see your bet and call you," she said placing her cards on the table, "Well, who gets the bed?"

"Me," he said triumphantly as he kept his cards hidden and moved towards the bed.

"Hey, not so fast. What were you cards?"

"I don't have to show you," he said moving away from her. Sam moved towards him and tried to grab the cards. He raised his arm so she couldn't reach his hand. She moved in closer, grabbing his arm and trying to pull his hand down, "Let me see."

Pulling his arm upwards he replied, "No!"

"Give them to me," she said as she pulled his arm closer.

Twisting, he broke free from her grasp and stepped backwards. He stumbled and tripped over a chair that was in his way. He fell flat on his back but he still held the cards tightly in his grip. She knelt beside him trying to twist his wrist so she could see the cards. She straddled him and caught one arm under her leg. Trapping one of his arms meant that she only had one to arm contend with. She managed to get the cards out of his grip and said, "I won!"

"Fine," he sounded annoyed, "You get the bed."

"We could share," she offered as she raised her eyebrows.

"And what would Ryan have to say about that?" Jack asked.

"Screw Ryan," she said as she began to move closer to his face.

The alcohol clouded his brain and he replied, "Seems to me that if we share this bed you won't be screwing Ryan."

"Suits me fine," she felt the alcohol flow through her veins, giving her the courage to do what she had wanted to do for so long. She moved a hand to his cheek as she moved her face even closer to his and their lips touched for the first time.

The feel of her lips caught him off guard and the alcohol caused his brain to work slower. He couldn't decide what to do, continue the kiss or pull away? As he felt her tongue slip past his lips, his conscience made itself present. He moved his hands onto her shoulders and pushed her away breaking the kiss, "I don't think so, Captain."

"Why not? Don't you want this? Don't you want me?" She asked looking him in the eye.

"Well?" She asked leaning in closer again.

He closed his eyes, trying to summon all of his strength as he could feel her warm breath caress his cheek, "No."

"No?" She moved away in shock.

"Correct," his hands absently falling to rest on her hips.

"Oh, so your hands don't like touching me?" She asked once again moving closer.

"What?" He asked not having a clue as to what she was talking about.

"On P2R12, your hands, dusting me off. They naturally like to touch my body. Don't deny it."

He moved his hands, "It's my policy to deny everything."

"Even your own desires?"

"Especially my own desires. Now do you want the bed or can I have it?"

"Remember earlier?" She asked, avoiding his question. She was going to make him admit to his desire of wanting her.

"I've had a long day," he sighed.

She rested her elbows and forearms on the floor, one either side of his head, "What were you thinking when you had me pinned against the wardrobe? What did you want to do? What would you have done if we hadn't been interrupted?"

He paused slightly deciding whether to lie or tell the truth, "I would have..."

She cut him off by whispering into his ear, "Don't say it - just do it."

He grabbed her by the waist and rolled over so he was on top. He firmly held both her wrists above her head as the next course of action was lost. He couldn't go through with his planned answer. He didn't know how she'd react. To deny or to grant her her request would have far reaching repercussions. The consequences of which could destroy their friendship or ruin their careers. At least in the morning he could blame it on the alcohol, whatever 'it' was, he still hadn't decided.

An internal debate began within him between the devil and an angel. To kiss or not to kiss, that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune or to take arms against a sea of troubles? To succumb to the sweet taste of her mouth and whatever came after it, or to refuse her and remain a gentleman?

What would it be?

She looked up into his eyes wanting only one thing to happen next. All she wanted at this precise moment was to feel his lips against hers. She didn't care about tomorrow or her career or their friendship or respect. She just wanted him but he was making no move.

What was his problem? She knew he wanted her.

"Jack?" She whispered, her voice thick with passion.

At the sound of her voice, he knew his answer. He decided to forget the risks and let the alcohol and desire take control. He hungrily captured her mouth.



xxxxx



Colonel Jacqueline O'Neill was stood in the gate room with General George Hammond and Teal'c and as usual Danielle was late but so was Sam. He was never late. Danielle came running in, "Where have you been Doctor Jackson?"

"Sorry, Jackie - I was getting some information put on disk so we can compare the differences between the two universes."

Jackie nodded, "Have you seen Captain Carter?"

"Yeah, he was talking to some guy."

"Who?"

"I don't know."



xxxxx



Captain Samuel Carter had been walking to the gate room when a Major had stopped her. "Captain Carter?"

Sam nodded.

"I'm Major Ryan Eliot. I was wondering if I could talk to you."

"Ryan Eliot!"

"Yeah, do you know me or a version of me?"

"Yes. I know you as Rhianna Eliot."

"How well do you know her?" He asked shifting on his feet uncomfortably.

"I'm best friends with your husband, her husband, how well do you know Sam?"

"We're engaged. My question is: How did you end up with that arrogant Colonel? I mean what changed? Why didn't we end up together?"

"Jackie and I got together at your and Shaun's wedding. We've been married 14 years and have two sons. We have never felt that way about each other." He said in a stern tone.

"How could we not have felt that way? Isn't there meant to be certain things similar in every alternate reality? If so, why aren't we in love there, but are here?" His voice began to raise.

"Some things are similar there, yes, but not all. Maybe your counter part does love me but for Shaun's sake I hope not, as I certainly don't love you I love Jackie," he said turning to walk off.



xxxxx



Samuel walked into the gate room and said, "sorry I'm late, sir."

"Ready to go?" Jackie asked.

"Yep." As Sam stepped closer, Jackie whispered to him.

"What kept you?"

"I had an encounter with a Ryan Eliot."

"Rhianna!" Jackie said referring to her best friend.

"Don't get too happy, I don't think he likes you."

"Why not?"

"He's engaged to Sam."

"I wonder how that came about?"

"Obviously he met Sam before Jack did, otherwise they'd be with the right person."

"How do we know we're with the right person? Not that I don't believe it."

"How many alternate realities have we been to?"

"A lot."

"And haven't we always been together?"

"Haven't we always been this gender before though?" Jackie countermanded.

"The soulmate bond is universal." Sam said.

"It doesn't have to be realised though." Jackie smiled.

"True."

"Chevron Seven engaged," the technician shouted.

The gate did its whooshy thing and the team stepped through. Upon emerging Jackie saw the same planet as before. As if sensing what she was thinking, Sam said, "I just hope they're looking at the same thing."

"Me too!" Jackie said hopefully as they began their long trek to the rock.



xxxxx



Samantha lay in the double bed, she stirred. She could feel warm skin next to hers and she opened her eyes. She saw him lying next to her, his eyes closed, his muscular arm wrapped around her and his hand was resting on her soft skin. Her hand was resting on his chest and she felt it moving up and down slightly in time with his breathing. She looked up at his face, it looked peaceful and happy. She thought back to the previous night, remembering the power of the alcohol that had caused her to kiss him. She had wanted to test his feelings for her. She had wanted him to act first and think later, and he had. She still remembered the feeling of his hand on her body, the feel of his lips against hers. She had wanted him so much and she still did and not just for passion but forever. She opened her eyes trying to shake the images from her mind. She shouldn't be thinking these thoughts when there was still a ring on her finger.

Everything was a mess. What had she done? What she wanted was the real truth. She tried to pull away to get out before he awoke, but as she moved away she felt his arm grip her tighter. She turned to look at him. He mumbled something before turning over. After making sure that he was asleep again she moved off the bed, wrapping the sheet around her naked body. With her back to Jack she picked up her clothes and proceeded in getting dressed. When she had finished she ran her hand through her hair doing her best to comb it. She turned to look at Jack realising she had left him lying completely naked on the bed. She picked up the sheet that she had discarded on the floor and laid it over him lightly. She walked to the door, not looking back. She knew that she had to walk away from him, to forget what had happened that night. If only it was that easy! She thought to herself. She sighed as she opened the door. Someone else opened the door and Sam came face to face with Lieutenant Simmonds.

"The General wants to know if you're ready to leave," Grace Simmonds said.

"I'm ready, but you can wake him," Lt. Simmonds couldn't help but notice the disgust in her voice. She knew the male version of Carter too well not to notice when something was wrong.

"Are you alright?" Simmonds asked.

"I'm fine I just want to go home." She walked off leaving Simmonds with the task of waking Jack.



xxxxx



Jack opened his eyes when he felt the presence of someone nearing him. He opened one eye slightly and was glad when he saw Leuitenant Simmons approaching him.

"Time to get up, sir." Simmons said. Jack wondered how this Lt. Simmons felt at knowing the object of her affections was married. The same as Jack felt whenever he thought of the object of his own being engaged.

"I'm awake," Jack grumbled sitting up.

Slightly embarrased at the lack of clothing covering the Colonel, Leuitenant Simmons said, "I'll wait outside."

Once the door had closed Jack fell back onto the bed. He grabbed a pillow and tried to suffocate himself. He had awoken when she had tried to pull away and he had panicked. He was so afraid of losing her. He didn't want to forget what it was like to hold her, to touch her, to be with her. Her effect on him made life itself pale in comparison. He wanted her, needed her and not for any reasons the alcohol had brought. He hadn't felt what he felt because of the alcohol, it had merely been the catalyst that made him take action. But now in the cold reality of dawn he could do nothing but lose her. They could have no future together and it made no difference that he had been more sober than drunk all that mattered was it had been a mistake.

A terrible, terrible mistake.

An enjoyable, but still terrible, mistake.

And now they both had to get over it and return to normality. He sat up, gathered together his clothes and got dressed. Before walking to the door he took one last look at the family picture. It was the family that he would never have, that he could never have.



xxxxx



Daniel Jackson was waiting in the gate room. Jack and Sam weren't there yet and Daniel couldn't help but smile at the irony of the situation. Sam walked in. She did not look like she got much sleep.

"Tired?" Daniel Asked.

She nodded.

"Well, who'd get much sleep in a room alone with Jack."

She looked at him in surprise.

"I mean, he's such a loud snorer." She nodded and turned her back on him. Daniel was about to prod her further when Jack walked in.

"Let's get home, campers," he said in his usual sarcastic tone.

"Chevron seven, engaged," a female technician shouted. The gate whooshed into life and a few moments later SG-1 found themselves on P2R12. They made their way to the rock and all four of them stood around it in silence.

"Who's going to sit on it then?" Daniel asked and Jack looked at him, "No! No, I will not do it. No! I will not be made to look like an idiot again."

"But you do it so well," Jack joked but no-one even smiled, obviously Sam was more hurt than he had originally thought, "I'll do it." He volunteered waiting for someone to protest. When no-one did he sat down, "This rock doesn't feel sticky to me."

"Something's gone wrong then," Daniel said.



*****



Danielle sat down. She did not know why it should be her that risked this again, but she was. Jackie had said something about her fitting the role. Danielle sat down, but nothing happened. "Something's gone wrong," was all she said.



*****



"What's gone wrong?" Jack asked.

"I don't know," Daniel murmured, "It's the same rock. I don't know what's different."

"Maybe we have to tap our heels together and say 'There's no place like home'." Jack joked. Daniel rolled his eyes as he searched his brain for what could be wrong.



*****



"What d'you mean 'something's wrong'?" Jackie asked.

"I'm not stuck to the rock." Danielle said as she stood up.

"You can't even sit on a rock properly," she said pushing Danielle to one side, "Let me try," as Jackie sat down she began to feel the rock soften around her sending weird sensations through her.



*****



"There's no place like home!" Jack repeated. As if by magic the rock softened around him and hardened again. "Okay, I'm stuck," he said being careful and not placing his hands on the rock.

Teal'c immediately grabbed Jack's left arm, Sam took hold of his right and Daniel gently held onto Jack's shoulders. "On three," Jack said, "One, two, three."

The three of them pulled. Jack could feel the attraction begin to weaken as he came free. The four of them landed in a heap on the floor. They sat up and looked around. Everything looked the same. There was only one way to find out if this was the right universe and that was to use the gate.



xxxxx



The team emerged from the gate, they looked around and saw familiar faces all around them.

"Nice to see you back to normal," General George Hammond said.

"It's good to see you as a man again, sir, because let me tell you the sight of you as a woman is enough to give anyone nightmares."

"You weren't so pretty yourself, Colonel." Everyone laughed or smiled at this, except Sam who walked off as soon as the General dismissed them.



xxxxx



Jack followed Sam and once they were far enough away from everyone he caught up with her, "Captain Carter?" He said but she continued walking, "Sam!" He said grabbing her arm and turning her round to face him.

"Yes, sir," her gaze was frosty.

"We need to talk, Sam," he pleaded.

"Fine I'm listening," she said shaking his hand off of her arm.

"I was drunk last night, okay? Last night should never have happened. It was a mistake and I'm sorry."

"Drunk, yeah, so was I. After drinking a bottle of whisky between us who wouldn't be drunk," her tone was angry, "It was a mistake and I meant nothing to you, right?"

He avoided the question, not trusting himself with the answer, "Can we go back to how we used to be? I mean friends and co-workers with a minimal amount of akwardness?"

She nodded, "Sure, we can go back to being friends. I mean why would there be any akwardness between us? We only slept together. You were drunk and you didn't even know what you were doing." She sounded angry and he did not notice the burning tears that she was fighting back, "It doesn't matter. I'll go back to Ryan as if nothing ever changed. My feelings for you don't count in this as you can only be my co-worker." Her voice was getting louder, "It doesn't matter if I love you," she looked at him in shock before continuing, "I mean I love Ryan and we're getting married in two months so consider this your official invitation, okay?" Sam turned walking away, still fighting the tears that threatened to spill.

Jack stood there in total shock. She had just admitted what he had feared, that she was in love with him. Actually hearing her say those words made everything different. He no longer cared about rules and regulations he had to tell her how he felt and he had to tell her now.



xxxxx



Sam stormed off. She was heading to the lab where she knew she would find Ryan. She had to find him. She stood in the doorway and saw him leaning over a microscope. She knew she had to tell him, she had to tell him what had happened between herself and Jack. She felt awful at knowing what she had done. She had betrayed the man who was in love with her, the man who wanted to marry her, the man with whom she wasn't in love. As she was about to say something he looked up, "Sam! You're back! I am so glad to see you." He hugged her and she held him tightly, afraid to let go. She did not want to hurt him, she did care for him and she did not want to lose his friendship. That would be inevitable if she went through with what she wanted to, though. He pulled away slightly.

"I want to apologize for the other day," he said, "We'll get married whenever you want to."

He had to start being sweet now, just as she was about to admit to her adulterous night with her CO. Typical. She looked at him, how could she honestly get married to him after last night. It wasn't that she was going into another relationship, Jack had made it clear that he didn't want a relationship with her, it was the fact that she could not lie to the man who was in love with her. He would never lie to her. She knew everything about him. She had been there when he had struggled to overcome his paralysis and the new arm, she had seen him through more difficult times than she could count. She could not lie to him. And she could not be with a man she did not love. The only problem was she also could not be with the man that she did love. For Jack, the night had been a mistake, he had been drunk, he believed it should not have happened. She loved him and needed him, but he did not love nor need her, at least not in the same way.

"I'm sorry," Sam said in a quiet voice as she looked down at the floor.

"For what?" Ryan asked trying to get her to meet his eyes.

She did not look up, "For everything. Everything's gone wrong. This wasn't how it was supposed to happen."

"It's okay," he comforted," You can have the wedding however you want."

He couldn't get the hint. Then again he hadn't realized Sam wasn't in love with him and they had been together for months now.

"That's not what I mean," she said shaking his hands from her as she stepped back and finally met his eyes. There was a look of anger and regret in her eyes.

"What do you mean then?"

"Us. The wedding. Last night. All those years ago. Everything," she was almost screaming now.

"You're not making any sense, Sammy." He said sounding concerned but totally bewildered.

"Do NOT call me Sammy. My name is Sam, okay, Sam. I haven't been called Sammy since I was five," her anger was really showing now.

"Sorry," he said in confusement.

"Sorry. Sorry. Why are you sorry? I'm the one who's sorry, okay, me." Tears were threatening to spill again but angry ones this time.

"Explain to me why." He shouted back at her, getting fed up with this game.

"You, me. Why? Why are we together?"

"Because we're in love."

"No," she shook her head as her voice quietened, "You're in love. Me? I'm not in love with you. The wedding, us - it's all wrong. Things can never be the way they were. We're kidding ourselves."

"Why? And how can you not be in love with me? What are you talking about? Sam, you're not making any sense."

"Fine," she took a deep breath. It was now or never, "I'll spell it out for you: I, Samantha Carter, do not love you, Ryan Eliot. It's as simple as that, okay?"

"That's not simple. Why? Why do you suddenly not love me? What's changed?" He knew nothing had changed. Deep down he knew that she had never been his. He knew one day she would realize that and run to the one she did love. He had thought she had started to love him though. She had got engaged to him and Ryan thought he had finally won her. Her next words were not the ones that he expected.

"What's changed is that I slept with Jack and why do I suddenly not love you? I haven't loved you since you came back." Her voice had grown into a whisper.

He stood there in shock. He stepped back and sat down on the nearest chair with a thump. He exhaled quickly, "You don't love me at all? Why pretend?" Before she could answer he realized what she had said at the beginning, "Hang on a minute," he shouted, "You slept with Jack! How could you sleep with Jack?"

"Well, we were on the floor and then he kissed me..."

He cut her off, "That's enough!"

"You asked how." She had never heard him use this tone with her before.

"I meant what possessed you?"

"The alcohol mainly," she shrugged her shoulders.

"So you two were drunk?" Ryan said calming down slightly.

"He was. We shared a bottle of whisky."

"Were you drunk?"

"The whisky had been watered down and I didn't have that much." Her voice was quiet again and she was avoiding his eyes. She did not want to see the hurt in his eyes. Hurt caused by her because she had been cowardly. She should never got into this relationship, it was her fault. She had wanted something, someone, to get her mind off of Jack, but it had never worked. Jack had always been at the front of her thoughts.

Ryan stood up. He was trying to stay calm, but it was hard. He knew she had feelings for Jack but he had never expected her to do this. "But did you know what you were doing?"

Sam looked at the floor. She could not answer the question. He knew what the answer was, he was just trying to make her suffer and she deserved it. She was a coward, she couldn't even answer a simple question. She could face Gou'ald and all types of unfriendly aliens but she couldn't answer one question from him.

"Did you?" He shouted from his seat two metres away.

She still could not answer. Tears were brimming again as she realized she had destroyed everything. She could have simply broken up with him. She never had to tell him about Jack. She had ruined everything and there was a strong possibility that it would never return to normal.

He stood up and in one step was stood directly in front of her. He grabbed her tightly by the elbows and shook her until she finally met his gaze, "Did you?" He shouted. "Did you?" He shouted again.

"You're hurting me." Was the only answer that she would give.

He squeezed her tighter, "Am I?" He squeezed tighter causing a yelp of pain to escape her mouth. "Am I hurting you? Because this isn't pain. Pain is being told by the woman that you love that she's just slept with someone else and that she never loved you. That is pain, not this."

She tried to break free from his grip but he just tightened his hold on her. "Ryan, please."

"Is that what you whispered to him when he was kissing you?" He whispered harshly into her ear, "Did you beg him too..." She cut him off.

"No," she said, a tear rolled down her cheek as the fear built up within her, "No, I didn't have to beg him to do anything. We were both ready and willing." He was scaring her but she could not help what she was saying. She wanted to hurt him for the physical pain that he was causing her.

"So, you did know?"

"Yes," she said bravely. She believed if she shocked him enough he would back off in surprise. "I knew exactly what I was doing and so did he."

"What do you mean by that?" He shook her again but his grip had relaxed slightly.

"Let's just say, I know who I'd rather spend the night with, and it's not you." She was trying to show a tough exterior, though her eyes betrayed her and told Ryan of her fear. Instead of him being surprised and releasing her, he grew angry.

"You slut!" He said as he slapped her so hard she stumbled back. He let go of her and she reached for her cheek.

"You bastard," she said looking up at him, her voice shaky.

Ryan started to move towards her, scaring her even more as she moved backwards and found herself pressed up against the wall. She was afraid. She could not remember feeling this scared before, at least with the Gou'ald she had weapons. Ryan took another menacing step towards her as he grabbed her arm. As he raised his fist she closed her eyes, but the blow never came.

Ryan turned to see a fist flying at him. He landed on the floor and looked up at his attacker. It was Colonel O'Neill.

"I think you should leave." Jack said in a tone Ryan did not want to mess with. Holding his nose to stop the bleeding Ryan got up and walked to the door.

He stopped and said, "This isn't over."

"Yes it is." Jack said blocking Ryan's view of Sam. Ryan departed and Jack turned back to Sam. Her eyes were full of tears but he could see the defiance in her eyes.

"Sam," he said stepping closer.

But she shook her head and said, "No, Jack. I need to be on my own."

She tried to walk past him but he gently restrained her. Images of Jack losing his temper as Ryan just had flashed through her mind as she shook his arm away.

"We need to talk," he said taking a step backwards to reassure her that he would not hurt her.

"Why?" Her tone had rapidly changed from scared to angry, "I don't need to hear how last night was a mistake, okay? Not after what just happened. I don't know if we can go back to being friends all I do know is I need to be alone. We'll talk later."

"But, Sam..."

She cut him off again, "No!"

He stepped back again, surprised at her tone and he let her walk past him. He watched her leave and he felt a sinking feeling. He could not explain the feeling he felt, all he knew was there would be no later.



The end