samandjack.net

Story Notes: Spoilers: Nothing specific


It wasn't unusual for their eyes to meet like this. Over the last few years in particular it frequently happened that he was watching her work and she would look up and catch him. Then she would smile to herself as his cheeks would flush slightly as he looked away, embarrassed at being discovered. A split second later, he would clear his throat and start a conversation with whoever else was nearby. Her smile would widen, both due to her amusement at his discomfort and her excitement at knowing he had been watching her. And it would happen again a few days later, and then again a few days after that.

No, it wasn't unusual for their eyes to meet like this.

It was unusual for him to not look away, however. She sensed him looking at her and tilted her head so that her eyes met his. Then the moment came when he would look away. But he didn't. His eyes held firmly onto hers, and a smile lifted the corners of his mouth. This time her cheeks flushed and she turned back to the half written report that lay in front of her. Her attention, though, remained on the man who had been standing in the doorway. The man who was still looking at her, whose gaze was heating the side of her face where it fell. The man who had now gone several seconds without taking his eyes off her. The colour of her cheeks deepened with each second that passed. She didn't know how to react to this. It was unusual for him to not look away.

It wasn't unexpected though.

He was now walking towards her. From the corner of her eye she could see his form getting closer and closer. A smile played on her lips as she anticipated his first words.

"What ya doin'?"

Her smile grew upon hearing the words she had known were coming.

"I was trying to work on my report," she replied, looking up at him where he had perched on the edge of her desk.

"Trying?"

"My thoughts kept wandering," she said, with a small smile and a twinkle in her eyes.

"Oh really? Wandering to where?" he smirked, knowing the answer.

"To the person sleeping in the next room."

He smiled. "You should have woke me when you woke up."

She shook her head fervently. "You looked too cute."

"I always look cute," he protested, pouting slightly.

She couldn't help but giggle at the expression on his face, but on his mock warning look she tried to straighten her face.

"And I thought you would need the rest… after last night." A large grin spread across both their faces as she spoke those last three words, then he pulled her up off the chair and dragged her, giggling, back into the bedroom.

No, after last night, it wasn't unexpected.

THE END