samandjack.net



The SGC was beginning to shut down for the night. There was only one team due back and as soon as they arrived everyone could go home. There was the familiar feeling of the end of the day in the air, heightened by the fact that it was Friday and everyone was looking forward to the weekend.

There hadn't been any goa'uld attacks for a while, and even when they did occasionally occur the iris kept them from being much of a danger. No-one was expecting a threat. After all the iris was impenetrable. No-one could get through unless they allowed it.

Most of the troops had been sent home, only one group remained. Just in case, on the off chance that someone did try something. Colonel Jack O'Neill sat in one of the chairs in the observation room above the stargate. He leaned back in the chair and rested his feet beside the computer in front of him. Three other officers stood around the room discussing their weekend plans and waiting impatiently for the stargate to activate and signal the team's return. Jack tapped his pen on the arm of his chair and sighed.

This weekend was a special one. The twins' sixth birthday. They were all going to spend Saturday at the zoo and the twins had been jumping up and down with excitement all day, not to mention the past week of counting down.

They were just waiting for Daniel and Sha're to return with SG-10. Jack didn't know what the twins wanted to see more, Daniel and Sha're or the presents they would be bringing back with them. Daniel and Sha're had been gone for two weeks now. They had visited Sha're's father, Teal'c and his family and a few other close friends around the universe before meeting up with SG-10 and returning home. Sha're was seven months pregnant and they had wanted to go on this trip as a sort of honeymoon before the baby was born.

"Daddy!" Jack looked up as two small children ran into the room followed by their mother.

"Hey munchkins." Jack caught them both up, one under each arm. "You haven't been causing havoc again have you?"

"Of course not Daddy, we wouldn't do that." Alissa smiled innocently up at her father.

"Ah of course not Liss, what was I thinking." Jack grinned at his daughter. "So how long now?"

"Twelve hours, five minutes and twenty-three seconds." Dylan proudly announced. They'd been forbidden to get up before six o'clock. Jack laughed and looked up to find his wife's blue eyes sparkling back at him. He stood up and set the twins on the ground behind him.

"Hey." He pulled her into his arms and kissed her.

"Oooo." The twins fell into each other giggling. Sam broke the kiss and grinned up at her husband.

The stargate started to dial in and everyone began to move towards their prospective stations. Sam slid into Jack's recently vacated seat, and began to type. The wormhole established and SG-10's remote code appeared on the screen.

"Open the iris." Jack commanded and it immediately slid open. General Hammond walked in.

"SG-10?" He asked.

"Yes Sir." Jack answered. Alissa pulled at Sam's sleeve.

"Mummy?" Sam nodded in answer and Alissa and Dylan ran out of the room and down to the stargate to wait for Daniel and Sha're. Sam, Jack and Hammond watched from above. Daniel and Sha're walked from the stargate followed by the rest of SG-10. Jack and Sam looked at Hammond for permission to leave. He nodded to them and they quickly left the room, also eager to see their friends.

As they were walking through the blast doors three jaffa exited the stargate behind SG-10. Two began shooting with staff weapons while the third searched the room for something. One of the two went to the computer to dial the stargate back out again, shooting anyone who got in his way.

"Alissa! Dylan!" Sam and Jack called together.

"Get over here now!" Jack yelled. The twins heard the tone in their father's voice and immediately obeyed. They ran across the room in front of the third jaffa. As they ran past the jaffa caught them. With a twin screaming and wriggling under each arm he turned back towards the stargate, which had now redialed out and was again displaying the blue liquid across it's surface. The twins kicked and wriggled but the jaffa's strong arms held them tightly in place.

Jack and Sam leapt forward towards the stargate but were too late. The last one shot Sam as a warning not to follow and they were gone as quickly as they had come. Jack ran to dive through the gate after them but the wormhole shut down before her could get through.

"NO!" Jack shouted. He hit the side of the stargate with his fist. "Dial it up!"

"No Jack, not yet. Not until we're sure it's safe, and that none of you are too badly injured." Hammond informed him. Sam rose slowly from the ramp, her left shoulder was covered in blood from the blast from the staff weapon.

"Open it now!" She yelled swaying slightly.

"No."

"I don't think you understand, sir. They are our children. They're only five years old, six tomorrow. We can't leave them there alone. They'll be terrified." She pleaded with him.

"I assure you Sam we will go after them. Just not right now. Right now you need to get down to the infirmary."

"We don't have time wait while you discuss this in a committee. I'm fine." She fell in a faint against Jack who caught her and picked her up in his arms.

"We'll wait until Sam's shoulder has been taken care off and then we go." Jack informed Hammond and he carried his wife down to the infirmary, followed by Daniel and Sha're.



*****



Six worried people sat around the briefing table in the SGC. A MALP had been sent through the stargate and shown that there was no danger. Consequently Jack, Sam and Daniel went through to see if they could find any sign of the twins. They had been met by a group of men who informed them that a group of jaffa and two children had come through the gate but they left again straight away. No-one had seen where they had gone.

They sat in silence, each desperately trying to think of where the twins had been taken, and more importantly how to get them back. It was doubtful they had been taken to Chulak as none of the jaffa had worn the symbol of Apophis sect. In fact they had all worn a symbol no-one could identify. Not even Sha're or Sam could identify it, even with the memories of Amonet and Jolinar. It could only be that they were part of a relatively new sect. This new goa'uld, whoever it was, had certainly done it's homework. It new

how to access the SGC and what to take.

"Perhaps the Tok'Ra have heard of this new goa'uld." Hammond thought out loud.

"It is possible. They have spies everywhere." Sam agreed.

"We should also contact Teal'c and Bratack. Perhaps they may also have heard something." Sha're suggested.

"Okay people here's what we'll do. Sam, Jack you contact the Tok'Ra. Daniel, Sha're you contact Teal'c."

Everyone leapt to their prospective assignments.



*****



Jack and Sam had retrieved the device to contact the Tok'Ra and taken it outside above the SGC. Sam stood with Jack's arms folded around her. They watched as the beam of light shot up and disappeared into the night sky. Jack felt Sam's body shake. He watched as a lone tear slid down her cheek. He kissed it away.

"We'll find them." He assured her.

"How can you be so sure? It's so big," She motioned to the many stars, "and they're so small."

"We will find them and they will be safe." His voice left no room for argument. Sam relaxed back into his embrace. She pushed her 'what ifs' to the back of her mind and let herself believe him.

"Come on lets go back inside and wait for them." He bent down and picked up the device in his left hand keeping his other arm around Sam's waist. She moved to put her left arm around his waist. Together they walked back towards the base to wait for whoever of the Tok'Ra decided to answer their call.

Jack hoped it was Jacob/Selmak. He deserved to know what was happening. He wouldn't mind if Martouf came, he was actually a fun guy to be around now that he'd gotten over Jolinar and had stopped trying to hit on Sam in a desperate attempt to get Jolinar back.



*****



The metal ring began to spin signaling the arrival of either the Tok'Ra. Teal'c and Bray'tac had come back with Daniel and Sha're. Both had expressed their sorrow at the loss of the twins as usual - without much emotion. No-one had been offended. The only time those two had shown much of any emotion was when their families were threatened.

The last chevron locked in place and the wormhole established. Jacob's iris signal came through and Hammond ordered the iris opened. Jacob stepped from the stargate followed by Martouf and two other Tok'Ra.

"Slow day in Tok'Ra town." Jack whispered in Sam's ear. It was unusual for both Jacob and Martouf to come when they called on account of the fact that they were both important Tok'Ra. Sam smiled up at him and dug her elbow in his side. She didn't know how he did it. Even in the worst times of her life he always managed to make her smile. She walked towards her father, Jack just a few steps behind her.

"Hello Sam." He father pulled her to him in a big bear hug. "How's life? Not another catastrophe I hope. I swear you people get into more trouble than any race I know. Do you deliberately provoke everyone else in the universe?"

"No, just the goa'uld."

"Oh well that's okay then. Where are my two rugrats? I don't hear them yelling and destroying."

Sam's throat choked up and she couldn't speak for fear she'd break down in tears right there. Jack sensed that she needed him to do the honours. He put a comforting hand on Sam's back.

"That's what we need to talk to you about Jacob. Let's go to the briefing room." Jack motioned for the Tok'Ra to follow them and he guided Sam, his hand still on her back, out of the room.



*****



"This is not good." Jacob commented when they'd been told the story.

"You're telling me." Jack said leaning forward in his chair. "We we're hoping you could provided us with some information and advice as to how we could find them." Jacob looked at Martouf.

"I'm afraid not. I've never seen these symbols before. Have you Jacob?" Martouf turned to the elder Tok'Ra.

"No. They don't seem quite real do they." Jacob commented.

"No." Martouf nodded his agreement.

"Okay don't seem real how?" Jack asked.

"Well all the goa'uld system lords take on the character of an ancient Egyptian god as you know. I don't know of this one." Jacob explained.

"Nor do I." Added Martouf. Everyone turned to Daniel. He shook his head.

"I don't remember one like this. It looks a bit like an eagle. I can't link it to any myth or religion really. I guess it could be Roman or Celtic but I doubt it."

"Well we aren't going to get much done sitting around staring at symbols no-one has a clue about. So let's break into smaller groups, we may find something that way." Hammond decided.



*****



Jack walked through the darkened corridors of the SGC. They'd hit a dead end so Hammond had ordered everyone to bed with plans to resume the search in the morning. Jack knew he probably wouldn't sleep a wink that night, he had too many thoughts running through his mind just now. The main one being worry over his kids. Where were they? Are they alright? I'm gonna kill whoever did this.

He hadn't seen Sam in a while either. She'd left the briefing room a few hours ago with Janet and he hadn't seen her since. He'd already checked a few of the places he thought she might be, the lab, the infirmary, the control room. Now he was headed to their quarters hoping she'd be there.

He softly opened the door and searched the darkened room for her. She wasn't there. His eyes were drawn to the door to the kid's room. It was slightly ajar. He walked towards it and gently pushed it open. He saw her almost straight away. She was curled up in the rocking chair between the too beds. One of them usually sat there and read to the twins every night. In her arms she held Lissa's doll, Maggie, and Dill's teddy (who'd been oddly enough named Ted.) She held them tight against her. Her head rested against the back of the chair and silent tears fell from her closed eyes.

He smiled sadly. He understood the pain she felt tearing her heart apart. She knew he was there. She knew the minute he'd opened the door to their quarters.

He walked towards her and put his hands on the arms of the rocking chair, bringing it's momentum to a stop. He leaned down and kissed the tears from her eyes. She opened them and smiled weakly up at him. His eyes were filled with understanding and love, also a desire to do bodily harm to whoever had taken their children. She knew that look. Someone was going to wish he'd never been born when they found him.

He took the toys from her arms, then picked her up and carried her into the main bedroom. He lay her on the bed. Then after he'd taken of their shoes and jackets he lay down behind her and pulled her back into his arms.

She felt his strength creep through her, warming her, strengthening her. She never felt as safe anywhere as she did in Jack's arms. Nothing could harm her. Soon her babies would be back in his arms too.



*****



Daniel, Sha're, Teal'c and Braytac sat huddled around the computer. The screen showed the replay from the surveillance camera the day Alyssa and Dylan were kidnapped. Each of them searched the jaffa for a clue as to where they were from and who they worked for. They hadn't been having much luck.

The tape reached the end and stopped. Daniel sighed and reached out to replay the scene. As the tape played for the sixth time something about one of the jaffa's costumes struck Teal'c as odd.

"Stop the tape." Teal'c asked. Daniel did so.

"What?"

"Can you enlarge this jaffa?"

"Yes, what about him?" Daniel zoomed in on the jaffa Teal'c had pointed out.

"Look at his boots." Teal'c said.

"Yes." Braytac's eyes widened "They belong to a serpent guard. But how can that be?"

"And look what else." Teal'c pointed to the heel of the boot. There was a small slight imprint, a symbol. Daniel enlarged the area.

"Oh my." Daniel's mouth hung open. Before them on the screen was the chevron for earth inside a circle.

Daniel and Teal'c began to recognise more of the jaffa's costumes. A chest plate with a scratch from when Daniel had dropped it on the stairs of a stargate, chainmail with a badly repaired link from where Sam had shot the jaffa in the leg. All the jaffa were wearing a mixture of hourus and serpent guard costumes minus the headdresses.

"These all came from the storage center at the Groom Lake facility!" Daniel realised "Who would do a thing like this?"

"Well at least we have a start. Let's go tell Jack and Sam." Sha're motioned for her husband to bring the tape. She stood and ran out of the room with the three men on her heels.



*****



Jack and Sam stood before Hammond's desk. Hammond had just gotten off the red phone. He turned to face them.

"We've been ordered to discontinue the search."

"What?!" They couldn't believe it.

"By who?" Jack asked.

"I'm not sure but I'll take a good guess and say a certain senator."

"Kinsey." Sam said with disgust. "Now we know who's to blame for the education and childcare financial reductions they passed regarding military brats last month."

"What'd the President have to say?" Jack asked.

"He's not available. Someone's messing with his schedule. One guess."

"Our beloved Senator. This is one murder I'm going to get away with easy." Sam said sweetly.

"I bags accomplice." Jack's hand shot up in the air.

"Alright. You can hold him down while I beat him senseless, then we'll swap and you can have a turn, except you might have to throw some water on him to wake him up." Sam grinned at her husband.

"Sounds like a plan." Jack nodded.

Sha're burst into the room followed by the three men. "The jaffa are from Earth." She blurted out in between breaths.

"What?" Sam watched the woman try to catch her breath. They'd been running all over trying to find Jack and Sam.

"Well at least the men dressed up as jaffa." Daniel informed them. He walked over to the TV and put the tape in the VCR. "Look." He showed them the symbol on the jaffa's boot and the other things they'd recognised.

"... and here's where you shot him in the leg, Sam."

"It appears the costumes all come from the Groom Lake facility." Teal'c joined in.

"So Maybourn's in on this too is he? That makes everything nice and homey." Jack smiled sarcastically. "I see a trip coming up. Sir, permission to..."

"By all means Colonel. I have some documents which need delivering. There will be a helicopter waiting above for you. And what ever you do on the side I know nothing about." Hammond handed a folder marked 'top secret' to Jack.

"Of course sir, thank you sir." Jack turned to the people gathered. "So who's coming?"

"Me." Daniel stepped forward.

"As will I." Teal'c informed.

"I really shouldn't." Sha're regretfully excused herself patting her belly.

"I'll stay too. I'm too old to go gallivanting around the US." Jacob moved next to Sha're and put his arm around her. "I'll stay here and look after the women folk."

"Braytac? Martouf?" Sam asked the elderly jaffa.

"Why not. I always wanted to see more of your world." the jaffa nodded.

"I'm coming to." Martouf wasn't about to be left behind.

"Great." Jack looked pleased with the turn out.

"SG-1, and extras, you have a go." Hammond informed them.

"Thank you sir. This way everyone." Jack walked out of the room, his wife and friends following immediately behind him.



*****



The minute the helicopter touched the ground they all leaped out and headed for the facility. Sam and Jack in the lead. They marched through the doors, drawing many curious and frightened people's attention from the looks on their faces.

Sam spotted an officer who seemed to know what he was doing. She placed one hand on her husband's arm to stop him. Then she approached the officer.

"Excuse me." She asked sweetly "Do you know where Maybourn might be? He sent for us."

"He's working on a new project ma'am. You should find him down that corridor. Go to the end of the corridor and turn left. He'll be in that wing. But he's in conference right now." The officer smiled down at her.

"Oh we don't mind, thank you you've been very helpful." She smiled at him. She continued past him, motioning for the others to follow. The officer watched her until she disappeared from sight.

Sam and Jack lead the others down the corridor. As they turned the corner they spotted Mayborn and Kinsey headed towards them. The second they saw Sam and Jack they turned and fled. Sam and Jack grinned at each other and took off after them. They caught them easily. Sam and Jack ran in front of the fleeing officer and senator.

"Where are you going we only just got here." Sam smiled, honey dripping off her voice. "We'd hate for you to miss the party."

"Where are they? What have you done with our children?" Jack shouted at them.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Sniveled Maybourn.

Jack caught him up by the front of his shirt. "Oh really? Well maybe I'll have to remind you." Jack slammed his fist into Mayborn's cowering face.

Kinsey's eyes widened and he tried to get away. But Sam grabbed hold of his tie. "Ah ah ah Senator. Your turn's coming. Where are they? What have you done with them?" Sam repeated Jack's questions.

"I deny any such accusations." Kinsey held his head in the air.

"Oh I was so hoping you'd say that." Sam punched Kinsey in the jaw. He fell over onto his back and tried to crawl away from her. "Oh get up." Sam rolled her eyes, reached down and pulled the groveling senator to his feet.

"You know striking a superior officer is a quick way to court-martial." Maybourn warned them.

"Oh really and I wonder what the punishment is for kidnapping children? Somehow I can see you spending the rest of your days in Antarctica studying ice samples. Now where are they?" Jack growled at him.

"You're too late. It's already done." Maybourn grinned triumphantly.

"Too late for what? What have you done with them?"

"Well we had these two goa'uld just hanging around and you know how much I've been wanting to get my hands on their genetic memories." Maybourn grinned at his success.

"You did what?!" Jack began to repeatedly punch they officer in the gut.

"It wasn't just me, Mr Senator here thought it was a great idea to help fight against the goa'uld." Maybourn gasped.

"Oh he did, did he?" Sam turned her attention back to the senator still caught by her left hand. Sam brought her knee up hard between the man's legs. Every man present grimaced in pain and thanked God he wasn't in the senator's shoes. "Now let's work on the other question shall we. Where are they?"

"Isolation cell beta." Groaned the senator, unable to take any more.

"Thank you." Sam nodded.

"Is it over?" hoped the man writhing on the floor in agony.

"Oh not by half." Sam pulled him up from the floor and looked over at her husband.

"Swap." They called simultaneously and threw each other the man they were holding and proceeded to beat up the other man. When they were done both men were lying unconscious, bleeding, bruised and with several broken bones in a heap on the floor.

Jack stepped over them and kissed Sam hard. "My that was refreshing." He grinned. "Shall we got get the kids?"

"By all means." She sighed. "Just you wait till I get you alone." Then she turned to the waiting gentlemen who'd been applauding and cheering all the way through. "Coming?" They nodded and followed the couple down the corridor towards isolation cell beta.



*****



Jack and Sam ran through the door to isolation cell beta. What met them was heart-breaking. Their children stood before them, yet it wasn't their children. The twins stood rigidly in the middle of the cell. They were clearly angry, indignant. How could these mere humans encage them. They were gods. Together they glared at these new comers.

Sam searched her children's eyes for a sign that they were still themselves. That this wasn't her darkest nightmare coming true. Then their eyes glowed and confirmed her fears. "Oh." She groaned. "I thought he was bluffing."

"I know, me too." Jack took her hand and squeezed it gently. "Come on lets get them back." He let go of her hand and moved towards the inner steal-barred door to the cell. "Teal'c can you give us a hand here?"

Teal'c moved forward to assist his friend. The jaffa pulled the door open with one great pull. He then stepped out of the way so Jack could precede him into the cell. Alyssa saw the jaffa come towards her. She frowned.

"Bow before your gods insolent jaffa." In the other corner of the cell Jack

had managed to catch and now held a struggling and screaming Dylan firmly under his arm. Teal'c turned back to the small girl before him.

"No." He simply said. Alyssa's eyes opened wide, shocked at such open disobedience. Teal'c took advantage of her shock and grabbed her following Jack's lead, and held her in his strong grip. They carried the struggling and screaming children back down the corridor and back to their waiting helicopter.



*****



A couple of hours later they were all running through the corridors of the SGC. The children were no longer squirming and fighting for freedom as they'd been sedated on the helicopter. As they ran into the gate room Jack shouted up to the officers sitting in the control room.

"Dial up Cimmeria!" The officer seated at the computer nodded recognising Colonel O'Neill. The stargate began to dial. General Hammond came in.

"What's going on people?" Jack turned to glance up at his CO.

"The others will explain General. We'll be back soon."

Sam reached to take her daughter from Teal'c. "I can take her from here." He nodded and handed over the little girl. The seventh chevron clicked into place and Jack turned to his wife.

"Ready?" He asked.

"Yes." She followed him up the ramp and through the stargate. General Hammond turned to the others left in the room. Daniel nodded to him.

"It's a long story General."

"Perhaps we should explain in the debriefing room." Teal'c suggested. The general agreed and they all left to fill each other in.



*****



Sam and Jack walked from the stargate, a sedated child in each pair of arms. They stood close together holding hands, waiting for the hammer to sweep over them and draw them into the labyrinth. As soon as they reached the darkened halls they didn't wait for Thor to say his piece. Jack took off through the labyrinth heading straight for the exit. They reached it in no time at all as Jack knew exactly where he was going. They stood before the hammer shaped doorway, regretting the pain the must cause their children in order to free them.

"Perhaps if the don't wake up they won't feel the pain." Sam hoped. Jack smiled at his wife. He stroked her cheek with his free hand, then took her hand in his once more. Together they stepped into the doorway. The twins' bodies began to shake violently. They were woken up by the pain. Their parents sank to their knees, cradling their screaming children in their laps, their arms around each other as around the twins. The twins soon fell silent again as the pain overcame them and rendered them unconscious once more. Sam and Jack sat holding there children's shaking bodies, silent tears sliding down their cheeks at the pain they knew was raking the twins' bodies.

After a while the children's bodies stopped shaking. Sam looked up at her husband. "Do you think it's over?" He nodded back. They stood and carried the twins through the doorway. The children stayed unconscious all the way back from the labyrinth. When they neared the stargate they woke up.

"Mummy?" Alyssa opened her eyes.

A little half laugh, half cry escaped Sam's throat. "Hey baby." she hugged the little girl tight against her. She looked over and saw her son wrapped in his father's arms.

"So. You two ready to go home?" Jack asked his children. They nodded, not fully understanding why they weren't home. Sam put Alyssa on the ground so she could dial home and send the code.

"What happened?" Dylan whispered down to his sister. She shrugged her shoulders. It was beyond her. Sam finished and came back picking her daughter up again and they followed father and son back through the stargate.



*****



At six o'clock the next morning Jack and Sam crept into the twins room. the twins were sleeping peacefully in their own beds, their arms wrapped around their toys.

"Don't they look beautiful." Sam sighed.

"Very. You ready?" Jack raised an eyebrow at his wife.

She nodded and giggled.

"Shush. No giggling you'll give us away."

"Huh, like they're not going to know in a couple of seconds anyway."

Sam rolled her eyes. Jack grinned at her. He stood up straight, clapped his hands twice and shouted in his best commanding officer's voice.

"What are you two lazybones still doing in bed? We've got presents to open and places to be. Let's go." He clapped his hands again loudly. By the time he was finished both six-year-olds were standing to attention on their beds, one hand raised in salute and the other still grasping their doll or teddy bear. Jack grinned at them then continued. "Quick march. Hut too, hut

too, hut too." They jumped off their beds and marched single file past their mother, Dylan in the lead. Sam took her place behind Alyssa. Jack followed them out the door and down the stairs, all the while continuing his hut toos. Sam giggled again. "You find something funny Captain O'Neill?"

"No sir!" Sam shouted back, her face instantly serious again.

"Good. We can't have that. this is the United States Air Force, we don't find things funny here." Dylan snickered and covered his hand over his mouth. "Did you say something Lieutenant Dylan?" Jack growled.

"No sir!" Dylan imitated his mother. They continued hut tooing all the way to the lounge room floor where a big pile of presents were sitting in the middle of the floor.

"Halt." Jack called. They stopped. "About face." They turned on their their toes and face him over the presents. Jack dropped his act and sat on the floor. "Well that's quite enough of that." His three officers relaxed their stance. The two younger ones fell onto the floor before their presents. the older one stepped over them and sat beside her husband. Dylan and Alyssa dove into the presents.

When they'd finished there was paper everywhere, underwear from grandparents, trucks, dolls, action figures and barbie makeup strewn all over the floor, with two very happy six-year-olds sitting in the center. After they'd cleaned up they had breakfast and gotten dressed they went to meet everyone else for a day at the zoo as promised.



*****



Much later that night two exhausted children lay sleeping in their beds, oblivious to the world. Sam stood in the doorway her head resting against the wood. She watched them sleep. Colonel Maybourn's court-martial was scheduled for Tuesday and Senator Kinsey's trial was to be one Wednesday the following week as Sam and Jack were required to attend both. There was no way the senator would keep his seat after this.

Jack spotted his wife from the top of the stairs. He walked up behind her and slid his arms around her waist, his chin resting on her shoulder.

"You okay?" He asked softly.

"Yeah." She smoothed her cheek against him.

"Come on." He pulled her away and lead her down the hallway to their bedroom, closing the door behind them.



*****
The End.