samandjack.net

Story Notes: Thanks to splash_the_cat for the swift beta.

Email: sweetinstigator@hotmail.com


That's The Problem


“You have a boyfriend.” After a whole night of tossing and turning that was the best he could come up with.

He’d seen her at the bar. Sam and the guy were sitting in a booth at the back, smiling and looking happy while sharing their desserts. It was such a cliché.

“Yes,” she confirmed, not blinking. He wondered what else he expected her to say.

Sighing he lowered himself into an empty seat.

“I saw you.”

“I’m sorry. You shouldn’t have found out like that.” Sam closed her laptop and rose to her feet. She walked around the desk and stood in front of him.

Jack shrugged as he looked up at her. “It’s not like it’s any of my business.”

“Yes, it is.” She surprised him with her firm reply. “It’s just...” Sam sighed and closed her eyes.

“Carter,” Jack whispered, his voice refusing to do more.

“I tried to wait, sir.” Sam ignored him. “But I couldn’t anymore. I can’t keep putting my life on hold for something that might not happen. I need....” She faltered.

“I...” She leaned forward, her hands reaching for him and Jack couldn’t breathe.

“Need...” Suddenly her lips covered his, gentle fingers caressing his neck and disappearing into his hair. Only for one second did he doubt what to do before he responded.

It was gentle and comforting. Both trying to fill a void that needed to be filled. It was all he needed.

And it was too short. Sam pulled back, licking her lips slowly as her eyes stayed locked with his.

“I need this,” she whispered before turning abruptly and walking back around her desk.

Jack stood, surprised his knees didn’t buckle.

“I understand,” he answered. And he did.

When Sam sat back down behind her laptop, Jack was already gone.

“That’s the problem, Jack.” She murmured to the black screen.

THE END