samandjack.net

Story Notes: Spoilers- Grace

Author's note- Now after a small discussion there seems to be mixed opinions on whether any of the ep actually happened. Was it all a dream like illusion Teal'c suggested or was it real and Sam was just hallucinating? I'm going with the second one; hence said mission log actually does exist.

HUGE Thanks to Foxcat for looking and reading and fixing the whole thing in hardly any time at all J any remaining mistakes or flaws are mine. She also picked the title which works which ever way you look at it, so that's very cool.


"So Carter," Jack walked back into the infirmary. "Feeling better?"

"Much," Sam nodded. "Thank you."

"I heard your mission log," he continued casually.

"You did huh?" she half laughed. "Any good?"

"Not bad for a first," he grinned. "Some interesting stuff about symptoms of a head injury."

"Yeah, that," Sam cringed.

"What sorta symptoms?"

"Oh you know," Sam shrugged. "Passing out and stuff."

Jack nodded. "Daniel said something about hallucinations."

"He did," Sam sighed. "Go figure."

"So you've got the boys living in your head huh?" Jack quipped. "Must be noisy."

"Yup," Sam agreed. "And Teal'c can quite nasty at times."

"Yeah I know," Jack laughed.

"For the record sir," Sam explained. "The very definition of hallucination is the illusion of seeing and hearing something that is not actually present. None of it was real."

"I know," Jack agreed.

"All the stuff my father said, it was crazy. I'm perfectly happy, beyond happy really. And when you walked in on me playing with Grace, I was just keeping her amused, trying to stop her singing. You know the singing was actually really annoying. And all the things you were saying to me, I don't think those things at all. You're not just a safe bet and I.

"Carter?" Jack interrupted.

"Sir?"

"You think I'm a safe bet?"

"Oh no," Sam sighed. "Did I really just say all that?"

"Yeah," Jack nodded. "And for the record, seeing as we're keen on keeping the record clear.Daniel didn't tell me that any of us said anything, he just said that you told him we were there."

"Oh," was all Sam could say, dropping her head in embarrassment.

"Who's Grace?" Jack moved on, hoping to ease the tension.

"I'm not really sure," Sam told him. "She said I knew but she never actually told me."

"Are you sure you don't know?" Jack pushed.

"Maybe I've got an idea," Sam admitted. "But it doesn't mean that I'm not happy."

Jack held up his hands in defense. "I never said you weren't."

"Right," Sam realized. "You said more about me being alone."

"That wasn't me Carter," Jack reminded her, trying to save her from any further confessions that she didn't mean to make.

"No, right." Sam shook her head as if trying to clear it. "Maybe I need a little more sleep, I'm still kinda confused."

"Sure." Jack turned to leave. "Oh and Carter you know something?"

"You'll always be there for me no matter what?" Sam guessed.

"Umm," Jack paused. "That's not actually what I was gonna say."

"Oh, of course not." Sam turned her head away again.

"Remember that they were just hallucinations," Jack told her. "Maybe they were your subconscious trying to speak to you.but maybe they weren't."

Jack reached the door, not turning back as he left.

"I will though," he said just loud enough for her to hear before disappearing around the corner.

The End