samandjack.net

Story Notes: Author's note- This started writing itself with out a direction really. My Grandad is in hospital with flu right now so I guess that's where that part ended up coming from, lol.

Dedication- For Jackie who I think is about to put her head in an oven (and not to find turkey)

For all the girls in the chat that I boycotted to write this.have a happy Christmas ;)

Thanks to Ren for betaing all quick like J


Sometimes we get second chances; sometimes we're so unlikely in each chance that we have to have four or five. Each one knocking us further down, something new going wrong every time.

Sitting here alone now I have to wonder why these things always happen when they do, right before Christmas without fail. God forbid any of us ever get the chance to enjoy a holiday again.

Watching him fight for his life again I have to wonder why it was him and not me, why do things always have to go wrong for him?

It must have started a couple of months ago now I think about it, just the odd sneeze, sore throats, nothing to worry about he'd insisted.

Janet was waiting for it to pass, nothing major, just a cold.

Now Colonel Jack O'Neill, one of the strongest men I've even known is lying in a hospital bed, while flu sucks all the strength out of him.

I'm meant to be spending Christmas with my brother, a chance to truly appreciate some time with my niece and nephew before they grow out of entertaining their aunt Sam.

What little voice he can muster up tells me that it doesn't matter, but it does.

I leave anyway, get on a plane and visit my family, just like you're supposed to at Christmas.

I leave him alone in the hospital, his scratchy, strained "goodbye" ringing in my ears as I sit on the plane.

"Goodbye," I mutter aloud. It sounds so final, not "see you soon" but "the end".

I regret getting on my flight; I wonder if I'll ever see him again.

Flu isn't meant to be lethal, but sometimes it is. I've never seen him look so drained before.

I should have paid more attention to the warnings, should have listened to the voice in my head that told me not to go.

Flu.who'd have thought?