samandjack.net

Story Notes: The Distance From Here Part 1: Email: magratj@ozemail.com.au

Archive: SJ please

Spoilers: Divide and Conquer

Author’s notes: Ack – I’ve started a major WiP. (All old or current JetC14 members do NOT say the D word or there will be trouble. It will be a bit of a ride, and I’m not sure how many parts it will have. It’s already changed more times than I can remember, so please bear with me. It’s been inspired by the Live album, "The Distance From Here".

Also, I’m introducing two new characters. I know how much we all hate Mary Sues, but I needed people with a fresh perspective. You’ll understand why as the story progresses. Is it my fault one’s Australian?

Please send feedback :)


**********************************************************

Slender at first, they quickly gather force,

Growing in richness as they run their course;

Once started, they do not turn back again;

Rivers, and years, and friendships with good men.

Sanskrit poem

**********************************************************

Sam Carter’s fingers flew across the keyboard, as she swiftly and expertly input new commands in to Stargate Command’s central computer. She sat in the main control room, only slightly aware of her surroundings, as every good soldier must be. But Sam was in the Air Force, and had always concentrated on research, so her senses were never going to be as sharp as those of O’Neill or Ferretti. Still, that didn’t bother her right now. She was in the SGC, and unless that gate opened, she could see no danger. Rather, she concentrated on the screen in front of her, her eyes making sure that firstly her fingers were correct, and that the computer was responding correctly.

The entire base was on stand down while these upgrades were performed. No teams were off world, as they had needed to disconnect the computers from the gate. At first, O’Neill had been a little put out, Sam recalled with a smile, as he realised that he would be stuck on the base, or at the very least in Colorado Springs while the upgrades were performed. Then he realised that it meant he could watch the play-offs in relative peace. He then had set off to organise a play-off party for the staff of the SGC, trying all the while to convince Teal’c of the merits of hockey. Sam thought he would have given up on that futile pass time by now.

Sitting beside her, entering calculations as fast and efficiently, was Captain Olivia Murray, or, as she was better known for reasons that were never likely to become apparent, Bronty. A dark skinned beauty, Bronty was one of those individuals who never complained about their circumstances, but rather just accepted things and dealt with life in such a way to make you feel suddenly very small about the fact you had just been whinging over uncontrollable circumstances in your life. At twenty-seven, she had achieved all that she had in an amazingly short period of time. A doctorate in astro-physics meant that she was very nearly better qualified than Sam. On arrival at the SGC, she had impressed Carter by immediately wanting to know about the particle generator, and the two had begun a five-hour conversation on how to improve it. Bronty took the attitude that it was far better to learn everything she could from Sam than to be in competition with her.

Sam had taken an immediate liking to Bronty. Bronty had been transferred to the SGC to take some of the pressure off Sam. She worked in the labs, and was not assigned to a SG team. It gave Carter a welcome break from the piles of work that would arrive on her desk. Sam had also enjoyed having someone that she could so readily bounce ideas off, and the two had struck up a fast and steady friendship.

In fact, the upgrades they were now performing were the result of an all night discussion the two had had. O’Neill, wanting to welcome the newcomer, had invited Bronty to join a few of the SG staff at a night out. Long after everyone else had gone home, Sam and Bronty found themselves in a 24 hour restaurant eating a too rich chocolate ice cream dessert discussing the computers until five am. This was the result.

"System three ready," Sam said finally, sitting back from the keyboard, flexing her fingers.

"Nearly there," Bronty said, scanning the screen in front of her. She paused in her typing, and her hand slid to the number keypad on the side. "Programme running," she said, hitting the enter key.

The two physicists looked at each other with satisfied grins.

"Dinner?" Sam asked.

"As long as there is copious amounts of sugar involved. I’m beat." Bronty replied. "Pizza and a video at my place?"

"Sounds good. I’ll meet you topside in 30."

As they began to gather various bits of paper that were lying around the room, they were distracted by two new voices.

"Danny, the man was a chauvinistic pig. He refused to accept the evidence in front of him," argued a female voice with a heavy accent, growing slightly more agitated.

"Just because he was wrong about one person doesn’t mean that we should ignore his work," Daniel Jackson argued in return, as he and his companion entered the room.

"But it changes everything. All of his work is tainted by his belief that a woman in Egypt could not hold any power on her own. It shows grounds for bias."

"You are going to get lynched, Hannah, that’s all I’m saying."

Hannah Lloyd was everything that Olivia Murray was not. She was a civilian, and had joined the programme only two weeks earlier. Her job was to compile and correlate all the information on the different cultures that the SG teams had meet. Hannah had been the obvious choice. She knew of the Stargate program as she had been one of the people selected to go through the gate to the alpha site when Aphosis has first moved to attack earth.

Two years younger than Bronty, Hannah had been a child genius, surprising all by being able to read by the age of two. She finished formal schooling at the age of 11, and headed straight for university. She was brilliant, there was no doubt of it. She was a Professor of Persian history, with doctorates in Egyptology, Archaeology, and a few other letters after her name as well.

She was erratic, and slightly eccentric. She seemed to be full of energy, no matter the time of day, and she was constantly moving. She even surprised Jack with her ability to fidget, and would often skip or run through the grey corridors of the Cheyenne complex, her sun bleached hair trailing behind her, the bright colours she deliberately chose to wear in the drab halls a rainbow blur.

Whereas Bronty was constantly calm and together, and terribly unassuming, Hannah was loud and blunt. She responded to Jack’s sarcastic remarks with a wit that gave a hint of her intelligence, and often left him speechless. Needless to say, the two had not started off on the right foot, but over time, they each came to accept each other. In fact, while Bronty had been accepted into the SGC without a problem, Hannah had ruffled a few feathers. However, for reasons no one on base could fathom, she had an excellent relationship with the General, and could often be found talking to him about personal matters rather than SGC business.

Hannah had met Daniel years before in Australia. Born in Sydney, the teenage Hannah had been desperate to travel to Egypt to participate in an archaeological dig. Her father had entrusted her to Daniel, a friend of a friend, something for which Hannah said she was eternally grateful. However, her friendship with Daniel didn’t stop the two having amazing arguments about history.

"Of course I’m going to get lynched. Why would I publish the paper otherwise?"

Daniel sighed, and decided to give up on the conversation. Instead, he turned his attention to Sam and Bronty. "Hey," he said. "How are the upgrades going?"

"Good," said Sam. "We’ve just finished the third system, so with any luck, we’ll finish ahead of schedule."

"Good. Listen, Jack wanted to know what you were both doing tonight. I think he wants to go to O’Malley’s."

"Isn’t that place still off limits?" Sam said with a grin.

"Ew, steak," whinged Hannah. "May as well just give the man a cow."

Sam grinned. Hannah’s humour, once you learnt to ignore the edge, was unique. "Well, when you live of field rations for a few days . . ." she began to defend him.

"Yet another reason why not to enlist," Hannah countered. "Listen, why not come round to my place? I’ll cook some real food for a change. I make a famous satay."

"I wouldn’t want to impose," Bronty said, looking up.

"Ah, it’s nothing. I need to give Danny some books anyway. It’ll save me bringing them here. We can just tell Jack that we outvoted him."

"The airforce isn’t exactly a democracy, Hannah," Sam said, still grinning.

"Really?" Hannah said with mock surprise. "It’s not like anyone obeys his orders anyhow."

"I’m going to pretend I didn’t here that," Daniel said.

"Ditto," agreed Sam and Bronty.

And so it was that two hours later, SG1, Hannah, Bronty, Janet and Cassandra found themselves at Hannah’s apartment, enjoying a selection of foods Hannah had cooked. Jack and Cassandra were playing racing games on Hannah’s playstation, and so far, the competition was pretty even. Teal’c watched them with interest, still trying to work out the attraction of the machine.

"Ah, what?" Hannah demanded, as she made her way over to the television screen.

"What?" Jack asked, looking around from the game.

"Cassie, you’ve just knocked like two tenths of a second off my record. That’s it, it’s sudden death final. Hand over the control, Jack."

Laughing, Jack complied. "Happily. She’s literally lapping me every race." He leant back on his hands to watch the ensuing match.

Smiling, Daniel stood to clear some dishes off the table. Over time, he had grown used to the way that Hannah’s mind worked, and her ability to jump from one subject to the next was just one of the traits that had endeared her to him. He picked up his wine glass, and stepped out onto Hannah’s balcony for a breath of fresh air. Sam and Bronty joined him, while Janet watched her daughter race Hannah.

"Who’s the guy in the picture on the mantle?" Sam asked curiously.

"That would be Peter, Hannah’s kinda boyfriend." Daniel replied.

"Kind of boyfriend?"

Daniel made a face. "It’s complicated. They’ve been together since Hannah was fifteen. Peter’s two years older, and the brother of Hannah’s best friend. Unfortunately, they are amazingly stubborn. Provided things are good, it’s magic. You feel like this is what love is all about. The moment one of them has to make a compromise, all hell breaks loose."

"Sounds like they’re being a little immature," Bronty commented.

"Oh, they are," Daniel agreed. "When they work it all out, they’ll be amazing. But I think that’s a few years off. It drives Tilly insane."

"Tilly?"

"Peter’s sister. She loves them both, but refuses to mediate or choose sides. They generally split up every so often just to make things easier on her."

"Arh, crap!" Hannah’s voice stabbed its way into the balmy evening air.

"Go Cassie," Janet cheered her daughter.

"I think I should go support Hannah," Daniel said, leaving Sam and Bronty.

Sam and Bronty quickly turned the discussion to the upgrades they had been running, reviewing the process for the next day. General Hammond was eager to get the upgrades over and done with so that they could resume missions. Sam had to agree with him. There was more than one person eager to be off world again. Doctor Mackenzie said that they were developing a kind of cabin fever, although this one came about when teams couldn’t go off world.

Bronty looked inside, and noticed that O’Neill was headed towards them. Ever aware of base gossip, even if she did refuse Hannah’s continuous attempts to contribute to it, she decided on a strategic retreat.

"I’m going to the bathroom," she said.

Sam nodded. She had her back to the living room, and was staring of into the stars, wondering which ones they had visited. Sometimes, with all the travelling via gate, and all the intensity of the job, she forgot what it was all about for her. The ability to travel to those stars.

"Whatcha doing?" Jack asked as he stepped on to the balcony.

Sam turned to look at him, smiling. "Looking at the stars. I forget that’s where we go."

"I know what you mean," Jack said, following her gaze to the stars. "It never ceases to amaze me." For a moment, he was silent. "Sam," he said suddenly, turning back to face her, "there’s something I’ve been meaning to ask you."

Sam met his gaze. "What’s that, Sir?"

"Are we okay?"

"Sir?" Sam was confused.

"You and me. Everything’s good with us, isn’t it?"

Sam looked back to the sky. The truth was, things had been very good with Jack recently. After the incident with Anise, she had found that she was a lot more relaxed with him. While they never really talked about those intimate things close friends do, they shared a familiarity with which Sam could only be happy. She felt comfortable and safe with O’Neill, and that’s all she asked for. It was all she could ask for. There was no easy way with which to define their relationship. They cared about each other greatly, that much was certain. Yet it was a love that had yet to be fully tested, or fully defined. Those boundaries that defined who they were also restrained their relationship. Although fully aware of the situation, and the feelings involved, neither were prepared to give up what they had for what might be. Sam couldn’t see that changing anytime soon, but she accepted that. And she believed Jack did too.

"Yes sir," she said, smiling back at him. "We’re fine."

****

It had been yet another boring day on the base, Jack O’Neill decided, as he made his way through the round corridors of the SGC. And whose decision was it to paint this place grey, anyway? What was it about the military that everything had to be drab?

Carter and Bronty had finished the upgrades, and SG 8 had shipped out almost straight away. It should have been SG1, but Janet had decided that Sam was in no state to go off world, having spent nearly fifty of the last seventy-two hours in front of a computer. Not that Jack begrudged Sam the rest. She, above everyone else, certainly deserved it. It was just that he had nothing to do. When they were stuck on base, Daniel could go play archaeologist, Sam could do the science thing, why, even Teal’c could go learn about earth. Jack had very little to keep him occupied. Other than paperwork, of course. It was why he so often found himself annoying Sam or Daniel.

He had, however, finally found something to occupy him for the time being, and was now on his way to the lab. He poked his head through the door to see Bronty working away on the Naqadah reactor.

"Colonel, hey," Bronty said cheerfully.

"Afternoon Captain," Jack responded.

"Sam’s up in the control room if you’re looking for her."

"What’s she doing up there?" Jack asked. "She knows she’s supposed to be resting."

Bronty grinned. "You try telling Sam that. She said she was prepared to face Janet’s wrath."

Jack shook his head. "Janet will murder us all in our sleep one day. It’ll save her the stress. Anyway, it was you I was looking for."

"Really?" Bronty was genuinely surprised. Jack always came in here looking for Sam.

"Yeah." Jack looked nervous. "I need your opinion on something."

Bronty put her pen down, now immensely curious. "Oh, what’s that?"

Jack pulled something out from an inside jacket pocket. "As I am sure you know, it’s Sam’s birthday next month, and I’ve been trying to decide what to get her."

"Ah," Bronty said, with an all-knowing tone. "And you want my opinion."

"Well yes." He quickly flicked through a few pages. "I was thinking of this."

What he showed Bronty took her breath away. She was looking at a beautiful gold necklace, with an impressive diamond set in gold as a pendent. There were matching earrings, diamond set in a gold teardrop. Bronty dared a look at the price, and whistled sharply.

"That’s impressive," she said softly.

"You think she’ll like it?" He was so nervous, Bronty realised.

"Oh, she’ll love it Colonel, but," Bronty hesitated.

"What?" Jack was suddenly concerned.

Bronty considered how best to explain her thoughts. "Jack, this is a very serious present. Giving a woman jewellery is not an everyday thing." Bronty was choosing her words carefully, fully aware that she was on dangerous ground.

"Sam’s a good friend," Jack said defensively. "And she’s saved my butt more times than I can count."

Bronty sighed. She knew she couldn’t say the exact words. To do so would place her in a position where she may have had to report something – a something she wasn’t sure about. Maybe she should discuss the situation with Hannah. "Jack, jewellery, particularly jewellery like this," she indicated the magazine, "it indicates a serious attachment – with serious intentions, particularly with someone like Sam. You’d have to be prepared for the consequences."

Fortunately for Bronty, Jack got the hint. "Trust me Captain, I know all about consequences." He put the brochure back in his jacket. "I just wanted to know . . "

"Hey, Bronty – oh, there you are Jack."

Hannah had refused to call Jack by anything other than his first name from the moment she met him. Daniel tried to assure him that it was not due to a lack of respect, she just didn’t really believe in titles. That and she knew it annoyed him.

"What’s up Hannah?" he asked.

"Sam’s in the control room, and I know she’s supposed to be on stand down. She won’t listen to me, but maybe you can go order her or something."

"Sure," He turned back to Bronty. "Thanks. I’ll see you later." He hurriedly left the lab.

Hannah went to leave, but then stopped, and looked at Bronty closely.

"What?" Bronty demanded.

"What was that about?"

"Nothing." Bronty changed her mind about discussing the event with Hannah. Hannah did lack a little tact.

"Really? Then why do you look flustered?"

"I am not flustered!"

"Are you sure? Because . . "

Hannah was interrupted by the PA system. "Incoming traveller." She looked at Bronty.

"SG8 only left two hours ago," she said softly.

As both women realised the ramifications of such a set of circumstances, panic crossed their faces. Without a word, they turned and ran towards the control room.

Jack looked around the embarkation room, his mind in turmoil. SG-8 had been decimated. There was no sign of Major Johnson, Captain Riley lay dead at the base of the gate, his body burnt almost beyond recognition, and Captain Harrison lay on the ramp, screaming in pain, clutching his stomach. Lieutenant Metcalf sat on the cold concrete floor, his blank gaze reflecting the shock he was in. His left arm was missing.

And then Janet was there. Calmly she pronounced Riley as dead, before moving to Harrison.

"Get him a sedative and prep him for surgery stat!" she ordered, as her staff lifted the wounded soldier onto a stretcher. Moving to Metcalf, she examined the damaged limb, before repeating the same orders.

The gate had yet to disengage, as the SGC waited for Major Johnson. Jack tore his eyes from the devastating scene before him, and looked back at the shimmering liquid naqadah. He saw a shadow emerge, but his heart froze as he realised that it was not Major Johnson, but the outline of a Jaffa. Two more followed suit.

"Close the iris!" he yelled to the control room.

In the control room, Sam and Bronty had been monitoring the computers. Bronty froze when she saw Harrison. Sam remembered that Bronty had been dating the Captain on and off since her arrival at the SGC. As Bronty went to race to him, Sam grabbed her.

"You can’t do anything right now, Captain," she said harshly.

Bronty looked at Sam for a moment, and then returned to her station, only to see the Jaffa and hear Colonel O’Neill’s order. Immediately her training took over, and she sat back down at her terminal, her hands flying across the keyboard.

"The Iris is not responding," she reported.

"We need to initialise the override sequence," Sam said, as Hammond and Hannah walked in. "But I can’t access it from here."

"Go," said Hannah, walking to the computer. "I think I’ve seen you guys do this enough to know what I’m doing."

Sam turned her attention to the larger terminal at the rear of the control room, where she quickly began to enter the override sequence. As she did so, Hannah looked down into the fray. The three Jaffa were firing their staff weapons at the men in the embarkation room. She saw two, then three men go down, when suddenly O’Neill was hit in the shoulder.

"Could we possibly hurry it up?" she asked as the Jaffa fell, fatally wounded.

"Nearly there."

A second Jaffa fell, along with two more air force personnel.

"Done."

Finally the iris swung closed, and the final Jaffa fell. Hannah breathed a sigh of relief, and then turned back to Sam.

"You two might want to get to the infirmary," she suggested softly. The two physicists needed no second invitation.

Daniel and Hannah finally made it to the infirmary half an hour later, having given up on trying to make sense of the limited information that they had. They promised Hammond that they would give him a full report as soon as they could, before hurriedly making their way to the infirmary.

Jack was sitting on a bed, annoying one of the long suffering nurses, demanding to be let out. Sam was leaning against the wall next to his bed, a smile lighting her eyes. She was obviously finding the situation amusing.

"I see you’re doing well, Jack," Daniel said.

"Never better. Now, if they would let me out of here . . "

"Lord Jack," Hannah said, rolling her eyes. "Anyone else would be glad of a couple of sick days."

"I am fine!" he protested, before he started to cough and splutter.

Sam laughed, and handed him a glass of water. Daniel got the impression this wasn’t the first such outburst. Seeking to change the subject, Sam looked at Hannah.

"When did you learn how to operate the computers?" she asked.

Hannah shrugged. "I watched you guys enough to pick it up. It’s pretty simple really."

Jack looked confused for a moment, and then realisation dawned on his face. "For you geniuses at least."

Hannah decided not to respond to the comment, and looked back at Sam. "How’s Harrison?"

"Still in surgery. I don’t think it looks good."

"And Metcalf?" Daniel asked.

"Still out. Janet said it’ll be a while before he wakes up."

"Where’s Bronty?" Hannah asked, looking around.

"Teal’c’s with her outside. She’s been very quiet."

"Yeah, what’s with that?" Jack asked.

Hannah rolled her eyes. "What rock have you been living under Jack? Even Hammond knows that Bronty is dating Harrison."

"She is?"

"It must be the worst kept secret on the base. Lord, Jack, what do you do all day?"

"I work. How long has that been going on for?"

"He asked her out not long after she arrived." Sam said. "They make a cute couple."

"Don’t they?" Hannah agreed. "I think I should go see how she’s doing." Hannah quickly left the room.

"Harrison?" Jack was still in surprise.

"Really, sir, you’re worse than Daniel. I know you were there when Janet told us about it."

"Janet told us?"

"Oh yeah. ALL base gossip comes from the infirmary."

Hannah found Bronty pacing the corridor just outside the operating theatre. Teal’c was sitting near her, keeping a watchful eye. Hannah acknowledged the Jaffa with a grim smile, before looking back at Bronty.

"How you doing?" she asked.

Bronty looked at her. "What?" She was obviously confused.

"How are you?" Hannah repeated, slower this time.

"I’m fine. It’s Captain Harrison who’s in surgery."

"That’s not what I meant, Bronty, and you know it." As much as Hannah admired Bronty’s ability to accept her fate and deal with her problems amazingly well, she knew that this was something the air force captain would have difficulty dealing with.

"This is what I meant, Hannah," Bronty said, stopping suddenly. "This is why it was all a mistake. I should have never listened to you. I should have said no.’ With tears streaming down her face, Bronty turned and fled.

Hannah sighed, and looked at Teal’c. She rubbed her tired eyes with her hand, before speaking to the Jaffa. "Will you let me know when Harrison comes out of surgery? The General wants me and Daniel to talk to Metcalf when he wakes up."

"I will do so, Professor Lloyd."

Hannah was so tired and distracted that she didn’t even bother telling Teal’c to call her Hannah like she normally would.

Janet was still refusing to let Jack out of the infirmary until she was certain he was fine, which meant that he was staying the night. Sam had left to go home about ten minutes earlier, and he was already bored without her company. He was still amazed with how at ease they had been of late. Sure, their relationship was not something that they could come right out and discuss, but at least now they both knew there definitely WAS something there, and for some reason, that had cleared the air somewhat.

With nothing to occupy his thoughts, he let his mind wander back to Sam’s birthday. Despite what Bronty was saying, and he had picked upon her unspoken message, he wanted to get Sam something special. She was worth it, and he didn’t mean that in a romantic way. Not entirely. That, he supposed, was the problem. There was no thin line separating them. It was rather, a blurred grey area.

His musings were interrupted by voices from the room next door.

"Bronty?" It was Hannah.

"Oh, hello." Bronty sounded depressed.

"Any news?"

"The Doc’s finished operating, but he’s still out. She thinks there may be permanent spinal damage."

Jack winced. That meant Mark Harrison would be retired, which would be a loss to the SGC. Mark was a good man, and a damned fine soldier.

"Oh, Bronty, I’m sorry." Hannah sounded concerned.

"I knew this would happen!" Bronty exploded. "I knew it was a mistake!"

"Bronty, you can’t say that. It’s not like this only happened because you’ve been dating. There’s no way . . ."

"Why did you have to tell me to say yes?" Bronty interrupted. "Why couldn’t we just leave things as they were?"

"Why, Bronty? So you could spend the rest of your life wondering ‘what if’? I don’t believe in regrets."

"I don’t expect you to understand."

"Why not?" Hannah demanded.

"You’re a civilian. You can’t possibly understand what a relationship in the military is like."

"Is that what this is all about?" Hannah sounded hurt.

"Don’t you get it? Knowing what he goes through, what he risks, every time he steps through the gate?" Bronty voice began to choke with tears. "I don’t know how I lasted this long. I can’t deal with this!"

"What’s happened to him, or the fact that you allowed yourself to get close to him? God, Bronty, and what if you got involved with a civilian? There must be thousands of partners of military personnel who are forever worried. I’d have thought you’d have accepted that risk just by entering the Force."

"Well, maybe that was a mistake too. The regs exist for a reason, Hannah, and this is why."

Bronty must have walked out, as Jack heard Hannah sigh, then nothing. He lay back in his bed, his mind whirling. He was worried about Bronty. He had never seen anything upset her before now, and this had torn her up pretty bad.

Of course, she had a very valid point. The regs existed for a reason. But that was where Bronty was also wrong. There was no way that Bronty and Harrison’s relationship effected their work any worse than a relationship with someone outside the base did. It was only in the field together that relationship became important, when you could misjudge things, even make a dreadfully wrong decision because of your feelings for another person. Jack knew that for a fact. He felt that more and more with each passing day.

"Are all military personnel this stubborn?" It was Hannah, standing in his doorway.

"No, we’re normally worse. What was that all about, if you don’t mind me asking?"

Hannah sighed, sitting down on the chair that Sam had occupied earlier "On my second day here, Bronty asked me what I thought about their relationship. She was thinking of calling it off. She thought it would be too difficult to handle while working here."

"And you told her to go for it."

"Of course. I don’t think the fact that they are sleeping with each other caused this."

"But she does?"

"Possibly. It’s not unusual for even the most rational of minds to make irrational leaps in times of high stress and grief. I think, however, she feels that she let this happen. That she was unable to do anything."

"That’s just silly."

"Tell me Jack, who did you want to blame that time Sam was stuck behind the force field in the Tok’ra ship?"

"That’s different. I was there. If I . . " He faltered.

"We have a phrase back home – Monday morning coaches. They’re the guys who go around on Monday and tell you exactly why and where their team lost the footy on the weekend. You see Jack, the human mind does well with ‘what ifs’. It doesn’t like to deal on what is. And it likes what will be even less. The reality of this situation is that Bronty has to adjust to the fact that the man she loves – and she does love him, may never be able to walk again. She hasn’t quite realised that yet, though. She’s still in mourning."

They fell silent for a moment, before Hannah stood up. "Anyway, I’ve got to see George, and I’m sure you need your sleep. I’ll see you in the morning."

"Goodnight Hannah."

Bronty was standing outside Mark Harrison’s ward, debating with herself as whether or not to enter. A part of her was annoyed that she had yelled at Hannah. She could have done with a friend’s support right now.

"Are you all right, Captain Murray?" It was Teal’c, stoic as ever.

"Not really, Teal’c" Bronty replied. "This is not your fault," Teal’c said sagely.

"What makes you believe I feel guilty?"

"The look of guilt is one I am very familiar with. Guilt is my constant companion."

"Teal’c, you shouldn’t be so hard on yourself. You’ve made amends a dozen times over."

"I believe, this is what Colonel O’Neill calls the pot calling the kettle black."

Bronty sighed. "You’re right. I’m just afraid of what happens now."

"The future is always uncertain, Captain. We should not be afraid of it, but face it like warriors."

Bronty looked Teal’c in the eye, and then nodded. Straightening herself, she pushed open the door to Mark’s room.

"Hey George."

"Professor Lloyd."

It was an old joke. In response to Hannah’s deliberate avoidance of any form of title the General insisted on calling her by her full title.

"I take it you heard?" Hannah asked as she closed the door to the general’s office.

"It’s bad news. How’s it going down?"

"How do you expect?" Hannah sat down. "Bronty is beside herself. She’s convinced that this is her fault."

"She has no reason to believe that," Hammond said, his voice betraying his concern.

"She wouldn’t be if you had put a policy in place like I suggested."

"I didn’t say they couldn’t date."

"No, you didn’t. But you never openly said you approved, either."

Hammond sighed. "I’ll have a word with her. What about the rest?"

Hannah sighed. "I’ll tell you now, George. I really don’t like this. I’m fast becoming to regard these people as my friends."

"I knew that was a risk. Nut I still need to know, and, in truth, I would rather it came from a friendly source."

"I’ll be honest with you – my original warning stands. You need to do something. Soon. The situation is, for now, pretty much stagnant. But it won’t be for long. Every incident like this brings the whole situation closer to exploding. You need to do something about it soon."

"I don’t know that I can."

"Well, if you don’t. you’ll lose someone. I just hope it’s not in a permanent way."