samandjack.net



Sam slowly opened her eyes and the first thing she saw was the fat red rose on the pillow beside her. She smiled, bringing the flower to her nose and breathing in it's strong perfume. She heard Jack's voice outside and wondered if his neighbours had finally caught him raiding their garden. Pulling back the sheet she got up and padded across to the window, parting the curtains slightly so she could see. Sam was shocked to see Jack walking down the path with his arm around a woman with short, blonde hair. As they reached the road they turned to face each other. It was then that she could see who the woman was. She stared in horror as Sarah leaned across and kissed Jack, quite passionately, on the lips.

Sam moved away from the window and sat on the bed. Tears welled in her eyes but she wouldn't allow them to come. She was too angry to cry now. Angry at Jack for betraying her, angry at herself for once again letting a guy tear her heart apart. Her beeper went off, pulling her from her thoughts. The SGC number appeared on it and she grabbed the phone on the bed side table and punched in the familiar digits. "Yes this is Major Carter, I was paged?"

"Major. We have a problem here that requires your expertise"

She sighed. "What's happened?"

"Well Captain Williams was adjusting the Alpha Beam Generator and..."

"He was doing *what*?" she yelled, her anger once again bubbling to the surface. "Put him on the phone Lieutenant."



######



Jack walked back into his house and heard Sam yelling upstairs. "Do you realise in the space of a few hours you have wrecked something that took me months to perfect!... I don't care what you were *trying* to do. I told you not to mess with the calibrations! It was a simple order... no don't touch anything, I'll be there soon." He heard the receiver slam and wondered what had happened. It took a lot to get Sam's blood boiling and he couldn't remember the last time he'd heard her that angry. He made his way to the stairs but she was already on her way down. "Hey, what's going on?" he asked.

She refused to look at him, instead concentrating on doing up the buttons of her shirt. "I've gotta get to the base. Williams has managed to stuff up the Alpha Beam Generator, so of course now I get to fix it."

"Will you be back for dinner? Maybe we could go..."

"I don't know yet. I'll talk to you later." She walked passed him and out the door.

Jack watched as she slammed the front door shut. She'd left without so much as a goodbye and Jack was shocked at her coldness. He shrugged his shoulders and went and ate breakfast before going to take a shower. Walking into his bedroom he stooped to pick up Sam's satin chemise that he had given her last night, in celebration of being together for six months. He tossed it on the bed and then saw the red rose on the floor beneath the window and the curtains slightly ajar. He stared at the rose for a moment before picking it up and putting it in some water. He grabbed his keys and headed out the door.



######



"Good morning Colonel. Didn't expect to see you on your day off." The chirpy young soldier at the gate said as Jack pulled up to the base.

"You know me, I just can't stay away from the place," he replied in his usual sarcasm.

"Well I advise you to stay away from Major Carter this morning. Word is Captain Williams was playing with something he shouldn't have and the Major is furious."

Jack gave the soldier a fake smile "Thanks for the advise" The soldier saluted and Jack returned the salute before driving off.



######



He exited the elevator and walked straight to Sam's lab. The only person there was Captain Williams, who was looking very depressed. "If you're looking for Major Carter than she was taken to the infirmary sir."

"She was what?!" He didn't wait for an answer, just walked out and straight down to the infirmary. He ran into Janet, who was walking out of one of the rooms. "Doc, what happened to Sam? Is she all right?"

"She'll be fine Colonel. She just wasn't concentrating on what she was doing and gave herself an electric shock. I'll keep an eye on her for a while and then she should be right to go home."

"She wasn't concentrating?" he asked incredulously.

"That's what I said. She was pretty upset this morning. Perhaps you know why?"

"Well she was pretty pissed off when she left but I thought that was just because of Williams playing with one of her... doohickies."

"I think it's more than that. You two didn't have a fight or something?"

Jack was surprised at the anger he saw in Janet's eyes. "No, but she wasn't really herself this morning. Why did she say something to you?"

"About what?" The look she gave him made it clear that she wasn't going to tell him anything.

"Can I see her?" he asked with a sigh. Janet hesitated. "Please Janet?"

"I guess. She's in there. Don't upset her Colonel, she needs to stay calm." She pointed to the room she had just exited.

Jack nodded and walked in, closing the door behind him. Sam looked across at him from a bed in the corner. "What are you doing here?" she asked, avoiding his eyes by looking down at the bandage on her hand.

"Came to see you and they told me you'd tried to give yourself a cheap perm." She didn't laugh. "Sam. What's wrong?"

"What makes you think anything's wrong?" she asked, a hint of sarcasm in her voice.

"Because I know you. You don't normally fly off the handle at anyone, you definitely don't lose concentration and electrocute yourself... and you don't normally avoid looking me in the eyes."

She looked at him then, and he saw a mixture of hurt and anger in her eyes. "I don't want to talk about it."

"Well I do. We had the most amazing night last night. I didn't expect to get up this morning and be given the cold shoulder."

"Yeah well I didn't expect to wake up this morning and see you kissing your ex-wife! Now I said I don't want to talk about it, would you get out!" As she finished yelling she doubled over in pain, clutching her stomach.

"Sam!" he yelled, rushing to her side.

Janet, who had heard Sam shouting, came rushing into the room. "I told you not to upset her!" she said with venom, pushing Jack aside.

"Oh god no Janet. No!" Sam sobbed, still in obvious pain.

"Come on Sam, you've gotta try and calm down. Would you get out Colonel!" she shouted to Jack, who was hovering behind her. He was going to protest, but the look she gave him sent him on his way. Once the door had closed she turned her attention back to Sam. "Okay Sam, just try and take deep breaths. That's it. Now I'm going to call for a helicopter and we'll get you to the local hospital. I haven't got the equipment here to check you out properly. Okay?" She gave Sam's hand a reassuring squeeze before grabbing the phone on the wall.



######



Fifteen minutes later Sam was being medivaced to the hospital. Janet was in the helicopter with her, keeping a close eye on her condition. She had flatly refused to let Jack go with them but had told him where they were going so she knew he would get there as soon as he could. She gave Sam a reassuring smile and wiped the tears from her best friend's face. "Try not to worry Sam."

"Easy for you to say" Sam replied, though it was barely audible through the oxygen mask.

"Well we're coming into the hospital now. Just try and stay as relaxed as you can." Sam nodded, feeling them descend and land on the roof of the hospital. She was stretchered out of the helicopter and placed on a gurney, before being taken inside to a waiting cubicle.



######



Jack had been pacing up and down the waiting room for the past ten minutes. It had taken him over half an hour to reach the hospital yet they still hadn't finished examining Sam. He had no idea what was wrong with her and Janet had refused to answer any of his questions. He didn't understand why she had been brought here. They had a great infirmary on the base, complete with operating theater and ICU. He saw Janet walking toward him and was over to her in a flash. "Is she all right?" he asked, concern written all over his face.

Seeing the state he was in softened Janet's anger toward him. "Yeah she'll be fine. She's just really stressed out and this was her body's way of saying it'd had enough."

"Can I talk to her?"

"I don't think so at the moment. She can't get upset again. Jack you're going to have to face the fact that you're the main cause of this." It was a cheap shot and she knew it, but hell it was the truth.

He slumped in the nearest chair and ran a hand across his face. "I didn't kiss Sarah, she kissed me." He said it quietly, looking at the floor in front of him.

"What's the difference?" she asked as she sat down next to him.

"The difference is I pushed her away and told her that I was in love with Sam."

"Oh" was all Janet could manage, now feeling really guilty.

"God I can't believe this is happening. Everything was going perfect, I mean I love her more than life itself, I would never do anything to hurt her."

"Then maybe you should tell her." She stood up. "I'll go and talk to her. See if she wants to see you okay?"

"Thanks doc. Tell her I love her." Janet smiled and made her way back to Sam's room.



######



"Hey Janet" Sam said quietly as her friend walked into the room.

"How are you feeling now?" She asked, checking Sam's chart.

"Better. Just tired I guess."

"Well Sam you're going to have to start taking better care of yourself. You can't let yourself get upset like that."

"Yeah I know, but I've had a pretty emotional twenty four hours Janet. I mean first I find out I'm pregnant, go home and have probably the most romantic night of my life only to wake up the next morning and see Jack kissing his ex wife. I electrocute myself and then think I'm going to lose my baby. Did I miss anything?"

"You know I just spoke to Jack..."

"He's here?" Sam asked, not sure whether to be happy or alarmed at the prospect.

"Of course he's here. He's worried sick about you. He also explained what happened with Sarah."

Sam turned away. "I don't care what happened."

"Sam it's not what you think okay. Talk to him please? Trust me, I wouldn't let him anywhere near you if I thought he was gunna hurt you again. You two are so in love with each other and now you're having a baby..."

Both women's heads snapped towards the door when they heard a gasp. Jack was standing there, a look of utter astonishment on his face. Janet turned to Sam and mouthed 'I'm sorry' before heading to the door. "Now don't upset her or I swear to god..." She let her tone complete the threat and walked out of the room.

Jack walked in and pulled a chair close to the bed. Sam was looking at the ceiling, refusing to meet his gaze. "Sam I... I don't know what to say. When did you find out?"

"Yesterday. I was going to surprise you today, but then..." she broke off as the tears started cascading down her cheeks.

"I swear to you nothing happened this morning. Sarah came to tell me her father had died and I was trying to comfort her. I guess she took it the wrong way and she kissed me. I pushed her away Sam. I told her that I was seeing you and I was so utterly in love with you." Sam looked at him then and saw in his eyes that he was telling the truth. He grasped her hand and kissed it. "Do you know what she said? She said that you must be good for me 'cause she's never seen me this happy. And I've never felt this happy." He stood up and leant over her, his face inches from hers. "I love you Samantha Carter and I'm ecstatic that we're going to have a baby. Please forgive me?"

Sam smiled through her tears. "Forgive you? I should be asking you to forgive me! I'm sorry I didn't trust you Jack. I... I just saw you two together and I guess things were going so well that I thought the bubble had to burst. I love you so much. I don't want to loose you." She met his lips and kissed him passionately.

"How 'bout we forget about it and concentrate on being a family?" He said as they pulled apart.

"A family. I like the sound of that." Sam stopped for a moment, taking a deep breath. "Jack there's something I want to ask you. I want to be married before I have this baby. Can we?"

"Can we get married?" He asked, a huge smile crossing his face. Sam nodded. "I would like nothing better Sam, I've even got the ring at home."

"What?" She asked, surprised.

"I was going to ask you tonight. I guess you beat me to it."

"You were going to ask me to marry you?"

"Yep."

"Well do it then."

"Do what?"

"Ask me."

Jack smiled then cleared his throat. "Okay, here goes. Sam, I have loved you since the first day I met you. My life would not be complete unless you were in it. Would you be my wife."

The tears once again ran down Sam's face, but this time they were tears of happiness. She reached up and pulled him down into a passionate kiss. They only pulled back when the need for air became too great. Jack looked down at the woman he loved, a huge smile crossing his face. "You know you haven't given me an answer."

Sam pulled his head back towards hers, there lips only millimeters apart. "Yes" she whispered.

"Sweet" he whispered back, before capturing her lips once more.



THE END