samandjack.net

Story Notes: Songbook Series 01: jez80@ozemail.com.au

SPOILERS: Nemesis

AUTHORS NOTES: This is the first of what could be a very long series revolving around the life and love of Jack and Sam. A big thanks to Kes and Jenn for beta’ing it!

FEEDBACK: Yes Please! I love to know what you think.


"Good morning, Major." Jack said as he walked into Sam’s lab.

"Good morning, Sir." She replied with a tired smile.

"I just spoke to the General and he thinks that now the replicator problem is under control we can have our much deserved leave."

"That’s good news sir."

Jack nodded. "Yes it is. So Teal’c has just left to go back to his family, Doc. Fraiser has managed to get Daniel back to bed and I’m ready to leave when you are."

Sam’s head snapped up to look at him. "Sir?"

Jack walked over to where she sat in front of her computer. "I want you to come to Minnesota with me."

"Colonel, I..."

"Sam. You need to get away from here. Just forget about the SGC and saving the world and have some fun."

His use of her first name surprised her. It had been ages since he’d used it and he always sounded a lot gentler when he said it. It took her a moment to recover before she replied. "I told you before Colonel, this is fun."

He gave her that puppy dog expression that all males seem to be able to give and all females find impossible to resist. "Come on. It’ll be great. Fresh air, relaxation, good company...."

"Are you sure you don’t mind me tagging along?" She asked, her heart racing at the thought of a week alone with him.

"Would I have asked you if I didn’t want you to come?" He pointed out with a grin. "Does that mean you’ll join me?"

She shrugged, trying to look nonchalant. "Why not? It’s not like I’ve had a holiday for years. Besides, I’d hate for you to get lonely." She gave him one of her blinding smiles and moved around the lab, turning off all of her equipment. "I’ll have to let Siler know that I’ll be out of town and go home to pack some clothes." She turned to see him watching her intently, a small smile on his face.

"How ‘bout I meet you at your place in an hour?" He asked. "Will that be enough time?"

She nodded. "Yes sir."

Forty-five minutes later Sam was at home, trying to decide what to pack for the trip. She’d packed the essentials, toiletries, shorts and T-shirts, some clothes to wear in case it turned cold, but she was having trouble deciding whether to pack a few sun dresses and if she dared to put in her red bikini..

"Ah what the hell." She said to herself. "It’s not as if I haven’t already lost my mind by agreeing to go on this little trip." She threw the bikini into her bag along with three very feminine looking dresses.

Fifteen minutes later Jack promptly arrived to pick her up. "Ready?" He asked when she opened the door.

"Yes, sir." She replied as she picked up her bag.

Jack took the bag off her. "Rule number one. No "sir", I’m Jack, you’re Sam." He grinned at her as he walked down the path. "Unless of course there’s some nickname I can call you by?"

She looked at him suspiciously as she got into his Jeep. "Have you been talking to my Dad?"

He gave her an innocent look. "I don’t know what you’re talking about... Sammy." His grin was infectious and Sam couldn’t help returning it.

That didn’t stop her smacking his arm. "Sam will be just fine, thank you!"

"Yes ma’am." He started the car and they were off.

It was after 7:30 when they pulled into the motel in Oecoma. Jack turned to look at the woman sleeping beside him. She had dozed on and off for the whole trip and he was happy that she’d finally agreed to a vacation. He was even happier she’d agreed to a vacation with him. He reached out and shook her shoulder gently. "Wake up sleepy head."

"Hmm?" She said drowsily as she stretched.

"We’re at the motel. I think it would be a lot more comfortable if you slept in a bed."

She grinned sheepishly. "Sorry si... ah Jack. I guess I was more tired than I thought."

"That’s okay Sam. The whole point of this trip is to relax. Come on," he said as he got out of the car.

They walked into the reception area where a young woman was busy filing her nails. "Can I help you?" She asked when she spotted the pair.

"Yeah can we get two rooms for the night please?"

"Sorry sir. The best I can do is one room with two beds." She gave them an apologetic smile. "It’s the last room we’ve got."

"That’ll be fine" Sam said, taking the offered key.

They walked back out to the car, getting in and driving to the parking spot out the front of their room. They got out, grabbing their bags and heading into their room. It was modest but clean and Sam immediately plonked herself on a bed as Jack checked out the room. "Ooh look, cable" he said with a grin. He turned to see Sam lying on the bed with her eyes closed. "Hey you. How ‘bout some dinner before you crash?"

"Whatever" she said without opening her eyes. "I’m not that hungry.."

Jack shook his head. "Yeah well that’s gunna change while we’re away too."

"Huh?" Sam said, opening her eyes and giving him a curious look.

"You skipping meals. I swear Sam, you’ve gotta start taking care of yourself." He walked over and held out his hand. "Come on. There’s a Burger King down the road."

After hamburgers they went back to the hotel and got settled into bed, watching TV for a while before having an early night. Jack woke early the next morning, lying on his side, facing Sam. She was facing him, her face completely relaxed as she slept. It was something he loved doing, watching her as she dreamed, wondering if it was possible that she dreamed of him.

He saw her start to stir and rolled onto his back so she wouldn’t catch him watching her. He heard her sigh and get out of bed, heading for the bathroom. When the shower started, he got out of bed. By the time she got out of the bathroom, he’d made coffee and toast in the little kitchenette and they had breakfast before Jack went and showered. When he came back out, Sam had packed up and was waiting for him.

"Ready to go?" He asked as he put his toiletries in his bag.

"Ready when you are." She replied.

"Okay, let’s get moving then. It’s about another seven hours to the cabin and I want to be there before dark." He picked up their bags and they made their way to the car. After checking out they were off again.

Sam was more awake today and they chatted most of the way there, arguing over what music to listen to and where to stop for lunch. They arrived at the cabin just after three and Jack got the bags out while Sam looked around. It was a log cabin, set into the side of a hill so that the deck, which overlooked the water, had to be reached by a flight of stairs. The sloping hill ran straight down to the lake’s edge, where there was a small wharf. The beauty and tranquility of the place immediately hit Sam and it was all she could do not to gasp.

Jack watched as she looked around. Her sparkling eyes and spectacular smile told him that she liked what she saw and he couldn’t help but smile.. She turned to him and her smile grew even larger. "Jack, this place is paradise!"

"Yeah, it is rather nice. Come on, I’ll show you the inside before my uncle turns up."

"You’re uncle?" Sam asked, surprised. Jack hadn’t mentioned anything about meeting him.

"Yeah, this is his place. I phoned him while you were in the shower this morning and let him know what time we’d be here so he could bring out the food. He could have brought it out earlier but I think he wants to meet you." Jack grinned. "I better warn you now, he’s a bit of a charmer.."

"In the O’Neill blood is it?" Sam asked cheekily and walked up the stairs to the deck.

Jack chuckled and followed her up. He opened the door and let her precede him in. The large room contained the living area, dining table and the kitchen, with three doors at the other end which Sam assumed were the bedrooms and the bathroom. The living area had two overstuffed chairs, a sofa, coffee table and an open fireplace. The dining table was wood and looked to be antique. The kitchen was over the other side of the room and at a glance, had all of the modern commodities without losing it’s quaint look.

"Do you like it?" Jack asked as he stepped in behind her.

"I love it." She replied.

"Come on. I’ll show you your room." He led her to the door on the left and opened it. The room was brightly lit by the afternoon sun. There was a large wrought iron bed in the middle, which had a lovely patch work quilt on it and there was a large antique chest of draws over to one side and a chair in the corner.

"This is lovely Jack." Sam breathed as she walked in and sat on the bed..

"Glad you approve. The bathroom’s next door. Just make yourself at home. I’m gunna go unpack my stuff."

He walked out and Sam rose from the bed, going to stand by the window. It was a lovely view, looking back through the forest in which they’d come. She saw a pick-up truck heading down the road and assumed that it was Jack’s uncle. She couldn’t explain why she felt so nervous all of a sudden.

She felt like she was about to meet the ‘in-laws’. ‘Huh, you wish Sam’ she thought to herself. She quickly unpacked her bag and walked back out into the other room just as an elderly man knocked on the screen door.

"Hey Uncle Will!" Jack said as he walked out of his bedroom.

Will opened the door and walked in carrying a box of groceries. "Hi Jack! Long time, no see." He put the groceries down and they pulled each other into a back thumping hug. When they pulled apart, Jack moved over to Sam. "Sam, this is my uncle Will. Uncle Will, this is Sam Carter."

"Nice to meet you, Sam." Will said, taking her hand and kissing her knuckles.

"You too" she replied with a giggle. She turned to Jack. "Do you mind if I go out and have a look around? It’ll give you a chance to catch up with your uncle."

"I told you Sam, make yourself at home."

She smiled one of those smiles that were reserved for him only. "Thanks. I won’t be far away" she told him as she headed for the door.

Will and Jack unpacked all of the food before walking outside so Jack could get some firewood. They saw Sam walking down to the end of the wharf.

"I hope you and your girlfriend have everything you need" Will said as he watched her.

Jack’s eyes bulged. "Ah, Uncle Will. Sam and I are just friends."

"Just friends?" He obviously wasn’t convinced.

"Yes" Jack replied firmly.

Will’s eyes twinkled. "So you don’t mind if I set her up with your cousin?"

"What?!"

That made the older man chuckle. "So you’re just friends with the hope of more?"

"Uncle Will..." Jack went to protest.

Will raised his hands. "It’s okay Jack. I’m not going to tell. She seems like a nice young lass."

Jack smiled, despite himself. "She is."

They took the wood inside and then walked out onto the deck just as Sam was coming back up the stairs. "I think I’m gunna love this place" she told them, still smiling. "There must be hundreds of paths in the forest and the water is still warm in the lake." She looked for all the world like an excited little girl at Christmas. Jack just had to smile.

Will clapped his hands together. "Well I might go and leave you both to your vacation. Just call me if you need anything."

"Thanks Uncle Will" Jack called after him.

"Yes, thank you" Sam added.

After watching Will drive off, Jack turned to Sam. "Do you want to go for a walk before dinner?"

"That’d be great" she replied.

"I’ll take you around the lake. Come on."

They walked for an hour or so, Jack telling Sam stories from his youth as they were going. When they arrived back at the cabin the sun was setting. They lit the fire and then Jack made dinner, much to Sam’s amusement. "I thought you couldn’t cook?"

"I can’t, not really. I can do the basic stuff but I can’t do anything fancy."

Sam laughed. "You’re doing better than me!"

"Come on, you can’t be that bad."

"Worse! I can boil an egg and open a can or a packet. Oh, plus I can dial the number for take out. About the only thing I’ve ever made with any measure of success is cookies."

Jack laughed. "Cookies?"

Sam nodded. "Although I haven’t really made them since my mom died." A shadow passed over her face but she quickly shook it off. "So, what are we having?"

Jack had seen the glimpse of pain as she spoke of her mother. He wasn’t sure whether to push the issue or just leave it. He didn’t want to spoil the happy mood so he decided to leave it for now. "Spaghetti Bolognese."

"Wow!" Sam was clearly impressed, especially when he let her sample the sauce. "That’s delicious!"

They sat down and ate dinner before moving to sit in front of the fire. After a few minutes of companionable silence, Jack spoke. "I’m glad you decided to come. This place is great but it’s even better when you’re here with someone else."

Sam smiled. "I’m glad you invited me Jack. I wasn’t lying when I said my work is fun, but it is nice to get away and just relax. I have to admit I was a little nervous about going on vacation with my CO."

"I may be your CO Sam, but first and foremost I’m your friend. Friends go on vacation together. Why should we be any different?"

They sat and chatted for a while before both started yawning and they decided to call it a night. "I was thinking of getting up early and going fishing in the morning. Do you want to come?"

"Do you mind if I don’t? Fishing really isn’t my thing."

"No that’s fine. I’ll probably see you around lunch time then."

Sam nodded. "Goodnight Jack."

"’Night Sam. Sleep well." He had the sudden urge to kiss her goodnight but pushed it down and walked into his room.



~~o0o~~



The next morning Jack left early, taking the small rowing boat and heading out onto the lake to fish. When Sam woke up, the sun was already quite high. She got up and fixed some breakfast for herself before walking out to sit on the deck. There were a couple of boats out on the lake and she wondered which one Jack was in. She had heard him leave at dawn and, looking at her watch, she realised it was only ten o’clock. ‘He won’t be back for a couple of hours. Maybe I could catch some rays while he’s not here’ she thought to herself. Although she’d packed her bikini, she still wasn’t sure if she dared wear it in front of him.

Making a decision, she went back inside and changed into her bikini, wrapping a sarong around her waist. She found a picnic blanket and grabbed a novel she’d brought with her. Slipping on her sunglasses, she walked outside, finding a nice grassy spot to put the blanket. Taking off the sarong, she laid down and relaxed.

When Jack rowed back to the wharf, he almost capsized the boat when he saw Sam. She was lying on her back, engrossed in her book, wearing what had to be the sexiest bikini he’d ever seen. She obviously hadn’t noticed his presence and Jack allowed himself to take in her perfect body. She was toned without being too muscular and he could see the feminine curves that were always hidden under her fatigues.

He took a deep breath and turned away, willing his body not to get too excited. He tied the boat up and picked up his gear and the fish he’d caught.

Sam didn’t notice him until he walked up next to her. "Oh God, you scared me!" She yelped when he moved into her field of view.

"Sorry. You were rather engrossed in that book there."

Suddenly Sam realised what she was, or rather wasn’t, wearing. She jumped up and wrapped the sarong around her. "Well I guess I better get us some lunch" she said as she rushed inside.

Jack just shook his head, grinning at her embarrassment. He stashed his gear and decided to leave cleaning the fish for later. He walked into the cabin and his heart skipped a beat. Sam had covered up, but not much. She was wearing a bright blue sun dress. It was short, loose fitting and definitely sexy.

"I hope you don’t mind sandwiches. Even *I* can’t get them wrong."

Jack gave himself a mental shake. "Um, yeah. Sounds good. I’ll just go and clean up."

He returned a few minutes later and they ate their sandwiches out on the picnic blanket. "What would you like to do this afternoon?" Jack asked her, taking a sip of his soda.

"I’d love to explore some of the paths in the forest. There’s just so many."

Jack nodded. "Sounds good. Mind if I come too? I’d hate for you to get lost on me" he finished cheekily.

Sam snorted. "I leave that up to you and Daniel! I’d like you to come with me though. You can show me the best paths."

"That I can. How ‘bout I clean up the fish I caught and then we get going?"

"You caught fish? Were they *this* big?" She asked, remembering the conversation they’d had a couple of weeks ago.

Jack shook his head. "You’re a smart ass!"

Jack cleaned and filleted the fish and then they headed off into the forest for an afternoon of exploring. Sam heard more stories from Jack’s childhood as they walked. He told her that his family would go there every summer with his Uncle Will’s family and they’d always have a fantastic time.

"You have lots of happy memories from here" she told him.

"Yeah, I guess I do. Where about’s did your family go on vacation?"

Sam shrugged. "We didn’t really. Not proper family vacations anyway. Mom used to take Mark and I away sometimes when Dad wasn’t there. I’m sure it was just to get us to forget he mightn’t come home. Dad was always too busy for holidays so after Mom died I guess we really didn’t go." She saw Jack’s face had lost it’s smile. "Don’t look like that. It’s not

like I had a terrible childhood. I had fun, went wild in my teens... it wasn’t so bad."

That brought the grin back to his face. "You went wild as a teenager? Do tell."

Sam laughed. "You know, the usual. Died my hair, got a tattoo, snuck out to concerts. That, by the way, isn’t a good idea if your father’s a General. Neither’s going up to Make-out Point with a guy eight years older than you."

Jack was still stuck on a point. "You have a tattoo?" He asked, reaching out to stop her.

"Sure do" she replied with a grin, walking off before he could ask more questions.

Jack thought for a minute. "You went out with someone eight years older than you?!" He called after her.

"Age doesn’t mean a thing Jack" she called back.

The sun had set by the time they got back to the cabin, both happy but exhausted. "How ‘bout I make some dinner?" Jack asked as they walked inside.

"I’ll help if you’d like."

He grinned. "But you told me you can’t cook."

"I can’t, but I can make a salad."

They got started on dinner, Jack cooking the fish while Sam made the salad, and before long they were sitting down to eat.

After they had finished, Jack insisted on cleaning up while Sam went and showered. He had just finished when she walked out of the bathroom. "It’s all yours" she told him.

"Thanks" he replied, putting the last dish away. "I won’t be long."

"Take your time Jack. I’m sure I can amuse myself."

When he came out of the bathroom about ten minutes later, Jack couldn’t see Sam anywhere. He lit the fire, before walking out onto the deck. He saw her sitting on the love seat, swinging gently as she looked at the stars. "They’re beautiful aren’t they" he said quietly as he sat down next to her.

She nodded. "It’s funny. I’m an astrophysicist, I could tell you countless things you never wanted to now about stars and planets... but I don’t even know the names of half the constellations."

"Ah, that’s where I come in" Jack told her.

"You know them all?" She asked, surprised.

"Most of them. When I retired after the first Abydos mission, I’d spend every clear night on my roof with my telescope and my laptop, just finding all of the constellations."

They sat out there for the better part of an hour. Jack pointing out the constellations, Sam hanging on his every word. As he leant in to point out one that was alluding her, he saw her shiver. "Are you cold?"

"A little" she admitted.

"Why don’t we go inside then? I lit the fire earlier." He moved to get up but Sam’s hand on his arm stopped him.

"No, it’s okay. I want to stay out here. Please keep telling me their names?"

He sat back and moved his arm around her, offering his warmth. Sam laid her head on his shoulder as she listened to him. Her eyes started to droop and she was soon asleep.

Jack smiled at Sam’s sleeping form. She looked so peaceful. He didn’t have the heart to wake her, so he gently moved her head so he could get up before picking her up and carrying her inside. He took her to her room and gently placed her on the bed, removing her shoes before he pulled the covers over her. He brushed the hair off her forehead before placing a kiss on it. He moved back to see blue eyes looking up at him. They stared at each other for a long moment before Jack lowered his head and captured her lips in a gentle kiss. One kiss became two and they were soon lost in each other, making love into the early hours of the morning.

When Jack woke up the next morning, the bed was empty and if it wasn’t for the fact that he was in the wrong room, he would have been sure he’d dreamed it. He got up, putting on his boxers, before heading out into the other room. Sam was nowhere to be seen and for a minute he was worried. He stepped out onto the deck and saw her. She’d gone running and was heading back towards the cabin.

"Hi there" he said as she stopped at the bottom of the stairs.

"Hi" she panted in return.

"I got kinda worried when you weren’t there when I woke up."

She didn’t meet his eyes. "I woke up early and felt like a run."

"I thought you would have had enough exercise last night" he said with a grin. She didn’t smile. "Sam? You’re okay with what happened last night aren’t you?" He was suddenly scared. He couldn’t lose her now. He’d had a taste of what it was be like to be with her and he couldn’t give that up.

She looked away. "I need to go and have a shower" she finally said, walking up the stairs.

Jack was getting frustrated. "Dammit Sam, talk to me!" He stood in front of her, not letting her pass.

"We shouldn’t have done it Jack, it just complicates things. Like you said the other night, we’re friends. We should have kept it that way."

"Why can’t we be both Sam? Why can’t we be friends *and* lovers? What are you afraid of?"

"I’m not afraid of anything! It just shouldn’t have happened! I shouldn’t have let it happen!" She yelled before she could stop herself. She turned away from him, looking towards the lake.

Jack reached out to her, trying to keep himself calm It wouldn’t help if they got into a screaming match. "It did happen, and I want it to happen again. I couldn’t stand it if it didn’t happen again" he said quietly.

Sam spun around and looked at him. "What are you saying?"

"I’m saying that I love you Sam. I’m saying that I can’t just ignore it now. I’m saying that I want us to be together."

Sam’s jaw dropped. "You love me? When did that happen?" To say she was shocked was an understatement.

"I don’t know, I think it was pretty much from the beginning, but I realised when you were taken over by Jolinar."

"But that was a couple of years ago." Sam’s eyes were so wide with amazement. How could he love her?

"Yeah, I’ve been trying to hide it ever since. I tried so hard not to love you Sam, but how could I not?"

Sam’s mind was reeling. She knew she had loved him for a while now, but she had never expected him to feel the same. His eyes looked sad all of a sudden and it took her a moment to realise why. She hadn’t told him she loved him too. She walked up to him and gave him the kiss to end all kisses. Pulling back she looked deep into his chocolate brown eyes. "I love you too." He smiled and, taking her hand, they headed inside. The next couple of days were spent getting into the routine of being a couple.



*~*~*~*~*



What would you say if I told you
I've always wanted to hold you?
I don't know what we're afraid of
Nothing would change if we made love

'Cause I'll be your friend
And I'll be your lover
Well, I know in our hearts we agree
We don't have to be one or the other

Yes, it's a chance that we're taking
And somebody's heart may be breaking
But we can't stop what's inside us
Our love for each other will guide us



*~*~*~*~*

COMING SOON- Songbook Series 2: Love Will Always Win