samandjack.net

Story Notes: Feedback: Cheerfully accepted.

Author's notes: All the speculation about fish inspired this. Also, Becca asked for a fic from the POV of the fish in the lake *years* ago. This is for you, hon!

Copyright © M. Susan Corkill, March 2005.


"How many times have I told you, never swim close to the shore!" Mama scolded.

"But Mama, we want to see what it's like out there!"

Her babies fluttered and swam around her, but Mama was firm. "There ain't nothin' out there for you but trouble. Look at what happened to Papa, god rest his soul."

"But Mama, something's different this time," the bravest pleaded. "There's more of them!"

Mama snorted, bubbles rising to the surface. "There's been others before, don't mean nothin'."

Tiny fins and tails flapped excitedly. "But...it's a girl!"

That got Mama's attention, this she had to see. In all her years as matriarch of this lake, there had never been a girl, at least not at that particular dock. She swam to the south shore, her brood following frantically in her wake. When she reached shallow water-but still a safe distance from shore-she jumped gracefully out of the water. Soaring briefly through the air, the bright sun sparkling off her scales, she caught a quick look before diving back into the safety of the lake.

"Well, bless my soul. There is a girl." She smiled at her brood. "And about damn time, I say."

THE END