samandjack.net

Story Notes: I was trying to get to sleep but this insisted on being written, now I have heard Santa come and go so will go to sleep now before he catches me!

Copyright- Samantha Fox 12/03.

Merry Christmas all!

Email- sameri86uk@btinternet.com


This is Christmas


Sam lay listening to the silence of her dark house, the resounding stillness making her wish she were still asleep.

Sam had always been one to wake at six am on Christmas morning, every year without fail.

For years this had been the sum of her holiday season, home, alone, living Christmas vicariously through what she could see of her neighbors outside the window.

She had to wonder how some people lived their whole lives like that, with Christmas being just one more day in the lonely year.

The sun began to peak in the window, lighting the room with the soft glow of dawn and lighting Sam's heart with the beauty of the new day.

"Mommy, Mommy, Santa came!" A little boy ran into the room and hurled himself onto Sam's chest.

"Really?" Sam acted amazed. "Why don't you bring your presents in here then and we'll see what he brought."

The child ran from the room again and Sam turned in the bed.

"Wakey wakey," she teased, kissing Jack awake. "It's Christmas."

"It was Christmas when we went to bed," Jack complained, refusing to open his eyes.

"Well it's Christmas again," Sam laughed. "And Santa came."

Jack opened his eyes slowly to be greeted with the sight of their small son dragging a stocking larger than himself into the bedroom.

As Jack helped him onto the bed Sam laid back again.

This is what Christmas was all about, early mornings, small children and sacks of toys. Oh yes, this is Christmas.



The End