samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: bryn.and.becca@moose-mail.net FEEDBACK PLEASE!!!!! we are attenttion deprived!!!

Status: Complete

Season/Sequel Info: Season 4. Yes there will be a sequel, Linz has already threatened our lives if we don't keep writing.

Spoilers: don't think so

Archive: Sam and Jack, Heliopolis, and our site

Author's Notes: Thanks to Linz, you are awesome! the s/j scene is dedicated to you :)


"MALP telemetry received in 3…2…1…" the Gate Technician says. The footage received from the MALP shows a wooded area with a clearing for the Stargate. It’s a warm sunny day and the MALP shows the temperature to be 80F. The only evidence of life is the small trail from the base of the Stargate leading off through the large Sequoyah like trees of the forest.

"Oh look Jack…trees… just for you," Daniel exclaims.

"I wonder how many women you’ll pick up on this trip Danny-Boy? 50? 60?" Colonel O’Neill replies. Major Carter begins to laugh in the background.

Meanwhile, on the MALP screen some natives have walked up the path. They walk up to the MALP and cautiously poke it with a stick. When it does nothing they begin to talk to it.




*****




"Apipoulai," one of the natives says "Deno aranoulipot?" he then asks. Getting no reply he turns to his companions "Seno tokemata mena Escobar Chamas." He then turns tail and runs down the path. His companion's hesitate a moment before following.




*****




"Well…that was interesting. Sounded like the ‘divine language’ from The Fifth Element. A pretty good movie if you ask me. Daniel, do you know that language?" Colonel O’Neill asks

"You actually watched that movie Sir?" Major Carter butts in.

"Well…I was bored," Colonel O’Neill retorts. "Daniel?"

"No but I know someone who might," Daniel replies. "I’ll go get her."

"Bring her to the briefing room Dr Jackson. If she does know this language then the mission will go ahead as planned and she’ll need to know about the planet before you leave." General Hammond interrupts before Daniel has a chance to run down the stairs.

"OK," Daniel calls back as he disappears down the stairs.




*****




"Where the hell is Daniel? He should be here by now," Colonel O’Neill says.

Just outside the door Daniel grabs Gemma’s arm.

"Whatever you do…just ignore Jack. He’s all bark and very little bite," Daniel tells her.

"Ok. Thanks for the advice," Gemma replies with a smile.

"After you," Daniel says with a flourish as he opens the door for her.

She walks in with Daniel following her.

"Everyone…this is Doctor Gemma Ilinah, resident cultural expert for SG-13. She has a degree in anthropology and another in linguistics. That’s why I thought she might be able to help out," Daniel says, introducing her to everyone around the table.

"Hi," Gemma says with a nervous smile.

"SG-13, huh? Rough number isn’t it?" O’Neill asks.

"Actually, 13 has been considered a highly magical number for centuries, far before the current superstitions thought it unlucky." Gemma replies.

"Alright everyone…please sit down Dr Jackson, Dr Ilinah." General Hammond says. "Major Carter, if you would run the tape."

"Of course Sir," Major Carter replies.

They all sit back and watch the tape play.

"Well Dr Ilinah, do you know this language?" General Hammond asks.

"Yes, I think I do," Gemma replies. "It appears to be a Celtic language with pagan roots. The people appear to be saying ‘hello, are you here to save us?’ and then ‘I will speak to the Priest.’ "

" ‘Are you here to save us?’ What does that mean?" Jack asks.

"Many of the cultures we have encountered believe that the Stargate is a passageway for the gods. These people may be of a similar belief." Teal’c suggests.

"That would explain why they are asking us for help and why they don’t seem to fear the MALP," Daniel agrees with a shrug.

"But help them with what?" Sam asks.

"They could want anything from a blessing for the next harvest to saving them from their enemies. There’s no way to tell unless we ask them." Gemma replies.

"It is possible that there is a Goa’uld presence on the planet, General," Teal’c advises. "That would instil great fear in the population."

"Then we should probably be careful," Gemma adds.

Jack turns and gives her a look. "Ya think?"

Gemma doesn’t even blink. "Yes I do."

General Hammond tries unsuccessfully to hide his grin as he turns to give final orders to the team. "Dr. Ilinah, as you are our resident expert on this culture I am temporarily assigning you to SG-1 for the duration of this mission. SG-1 you will depart for P3X-573 at 1100 hrs. Your objectives are to make contact with the inhabitants of the world and establish diplomatic relations with them. Standing orders apply. Good luck and be careful."




**********




"Chevron 6 encoded…" announces the gate technician.

SG-1, plus Gemma, stands at the base of the ramp waiting for the wormhole to activate. Jack glances around him at the other members of his team. Daniel is nearly bursting with excitement at the mere thought of learning about a new culture and is babbling happily away to Gemma, who smiles back in a more subdued manner. Sam is taking readings or something on one of her technical do-hickeys and Teal’c stands impassively beside them. Jack, ever impatient, bounces up and down on his toes waiting for something to happen.

"Hey Teal’c," Jack nods to the tall man. "Is it just me or does it feel like we’re surrounded by scientists?"

Teal’c just lifts an eyebrow.

"You know, Sir," Sam grins, "you’ve been working with Daniel and me for four years, one would think you’d be used to scientists by now."

"You know me, Carter. I like to be unpredictable." Jack explains.

"Then you definitely succeed, Sir."

"Chevron 7 encoded."

"SG-1 you have a go." General Hammond’s voice echoes through the ‘Gate room.

With a nod of his head to the control room, Jack leads his team through the event horizon and into the bright, warm day of P3X-573. As always the first thing he notices are the trees. "Well this is different," he mumbles.

"What’s different?" Daniel asks as he walks up to Jack.

"They’re not just trees, they’re BIG trees." Jack motions to the 100 foot tall trees bordering the clearing.

"O’Neill we are being approached by a group of natives," Teal’c calls from his position at the base of the Stargate platform.

SG-1 turns to see a small group of natives emerging from the forest along the path that lead to the Stargate. There are five in all, dressed in simple medieval clothing, and led by a matronly woman carrying a plate of fruit. As they near the Stargate the small group stops and peers apprehensively at the travellers.

"Dr. Ilinah, I believe that’s your cue," Jack instructs.

Gemma steps forward and approaches the grey-haired woman at the front of the group. "Apipoulai," she says.

* Greetings, visitors, * the woman replies. * I am Ena, priestess of the Petaybeens. We welcome you to our world. *

* Greetings. We are peaceful explorers from a planet called Earth. I am Dr Gemma Ilinah. These are Dr Daniel Jackson, Colonel Jack O’Neill, Major Samantha Carter and Teal’c. * Gemma says pointing to each of SG-1 in turn.

* The dark one you call Teal’c…He is a Jaffa? * Ena asks a little nervously.

* Yes. Though he has turned and now fights with us against the Goa’uld. * Gemma replies.

* Ahhh…What is that fuzzy thing on his chin? * Ena then asks.

"This is Ena. She is a priestess to these people. They call themselves ‘Petaybeens’. Ena wants to know about your beard, Teal’c," Gemma tells SG-1.

"It is just that. A beard, most will grow a beard eventually. They believe it gives them greater dignity," Teal’c responds as stoically as ever.

"Ah," Gemma replies before launching into another round of the native’s language.

* It is a beard. He believes it gives him greater dignity. * She says to Ena.

* Ah. Of course…I had thought it might be a bug that he was not aware of. You had better warn him that we, of Petaybee, do not like bugs and he may be…attacked…all in his best interests of course. * Ena explained.

* Of course. I shall pass this information to him. * Gemma replies smoothly with no hint that she might find it funny.

"Teal’c…Ena says that she mistook your beard for a bug. The natives around here seem to have an…aversion to bugs. She says that you may be attacked and to try not to kill them."

"I will endeavour not to kill anyone who attacks me," Teal’c replies.

"Oh that’s a good one Teal’c," Colonel O’Neill says.

"I do not understand, O’Neill. What is a ‘good one’?" Teal’c inquires.

* We are having a feast tonight to celebrate Midsummer’s Solstice. Would you care to join us? * Ena enquires, unaware that she has interrupted anything.

"Ena has just asked us to join the Petaybeens in a feast tonight celebrating Midsummer’s Solstice. Will we join them?" Gemma enquires.

"Well…these people seem friendly enough. What would you say?" Colonel O’Neill asks to no-one in particular.

"These people appear to have little or no weaponry. I do not see any threat to our lives if we remain here," Teal’c replies impassively.

"Well…I don’t know…" Colonel O’Neill says, debating the options.

"If we stay, Colonel, we’ll be able to find out what they want to be saved from," Gemma wheedles. Colonel O’Neill looks at Daniel who just looks back with puppy-dog eyes.

"Major? Any objections?" he asks of Major Carter.

"No, Sir," she replies.

"Well…All right…we’ll stay for the feast," Colonel O’Neill agrees.

* We will remain for the feast, Ena, * Gemma tells her.

* That’s wonderful. Would you like more suitable clothing for the feast or would you prefer to remain in your own? * Ena asks.

"Ena wants t know if we want some more suitable clothing for the feast or if we’ll just keep our own?’ Gemma asks SG-1.

"I’ll keep my own clothing thank you very much," Colonel O’Neill says.

"As will I, Dr Ilinah, Teal’c says.

"Gemma, please Teal’c," Gemma says to Teal’c. "Daniel? Major Carter?"

"I guess I’ll change," says Major Carter.

"I will too," Daniel says excitedly. "Are you going to, Gemma?"

"Yes," Gemma replies with a smile.

* Ena, myself, Daniel and Major Carter would be happy to accept your offer of clothing for during the feast. *

* I will arrange for the clothing to be brought to you once we have reached the village, * Ena replies.

* Thank you for your hospitality, Ena, * Gemma says.

"She’ll arrange for the clothing to be brought to us once we have reached the village," she then says to SG-1.

"Then by all means…tell the priestess lady to lead the way" Colonel O’Neill replies with a gesture of is arm towards the trail.

Ena interprets the gesture correctly and starts off down the trail, gesturing for them to follow. Ena leads SG-1 down the wooded path and into her small village.




**********




There are about two dozen thatched huts in a circular formation. In the center there is a common area where the festival is already in full swing. Food is spread out on several tables to one side and dancers are circling around musicians, including bag-pipers, in the center.

As the new comers approach several of the partiers came forward to greet them. They have barely come to a stop when one of the locals suddenly let out a shout, picked up a piece of wood, and charged Teal'c. Jack and Sam grabbed the man and held him off, but he continued to shout and as he tried frantically to get to their friend.

* Let me go!! I must kill the caterpillar! I must kill it! * The struggling man shouts.

"Gemma, what is he saying?" asks Daniel.

"Something about a caterpillar...?" Gemma replies a bit confused.

Ena steps forward and quickly speaks to the man, calming him down. She then turns to Gemma to explain. *Please, forgive Doyle. He was merely trying to protect your friend Teal'c from the deadly fuzzy caterpillar that he thought was crawling up his chin.*

Gemma can not help herself and begins laughing uncontrollably. The others stare at her as if she's suddenly grown another head. Finally she gains enough control to translate Ena's words to the others.

"She said that he thought Teal'c's beard was a deadly fuzzy caterpillar attacking him! He was just trying to protect you Teal'c, and he apologizes."

Daniel, Sam and Jack fail miserably at trying to control their own laughter. Teal'c merely lifts an eyebrow and nods toward Doyle.

"There is no need to apologize. There no harm was done." Teal'c says.

* Please Gemma, Daniel, Major Carter, follow me and I will provide you with attire for this evening. * Ena indicates for them to follow her.

"Ena says she will give us the clothing if we follow her," Gemma translates.

"We'll go join the party," Jack says as he and Teal'c head toward the food and the rest of SG-1 follow Ena into a nearby hut.

"So Teal'c, rockin' party wouldn't you say?" Jack asks as he looks around.

" "Rocking’, O'Neill?" Teal'c inquires.

"Uh. . . good. It's a good party."

"Indeed it appears to be, O'Neill." Teal'c replies. Looking over Jack's shoulder he sees his companions approaching. "Major Carter, Gemma, you're attire is very attractive."

Jack turns around to greet his team and his jaw drops. Sam and Gemma are wearing nearly identical dresses, both of which, are empress cut with long, full skirts and draping sleeves. They are simple, but elegant. Gemma's is in a deep green while Sam's is in a deep sapphire blue to match her eyes. Both women look stunning but Jack doesn't even seem to notice Gemma.

"Where is Daniel Jackson?" Teal'c asks the women.

"I'm right here," Daniel calls out from as he approaches. He is wearing a kilt.

"Wow Danny! Cute skirt!" Jack grins.

"It's appropriate attire, Jack. There are fascinating similarities between these people and the ancient Celtic societies of Ireland and England. They seem to have the same pagan beliefs, even the same ritualistic ceremonies and . . . nobody is listening to me." Daniel finishes with a sigh as he notices everyone except Gemma has wandered off.

"I was listening to you, Daniel," Gemma assures him.

"Yeah, but you already know everything I'm talking about better than I do!"

"True," Gemma agrees. She glances over at their teammates. "Are they always like that?"

"Who?" Daniel asks.

"Colonel O'Neill and Major Carter."

"Oh… like what?" Daniel looks perplexed.

"So obvious about how they feel for one another. You know for someone with a Ph.D. you're pretty dumb." Gemma points out.

"You mean that they're in love? Give me a little credit, I'm not that dense, Gemma. But what am I supposed to do about it? They won't even admit it to themselves let alone each other." Daniel shrugs his shoulders in defeat.

"That is a shame. Life is too short to waste love when one finds it."

"I know what you mean," Daniel replies sadly.

Daniel and Gemma spend the most of the evening asking questions of their hosts and discussing the answers. Sam and Jack enjoy tasting the local cuisine and ‘moonshine.’ Teal'c observes everything quietly, though Sam and Gemma succeed in dragging him out to dance several times.

"Find out anything interesting, Daniel?" Jack asks his friend as he approaches him. The others are trying to learn the local form of line dancing.

"Actually yes, Jack," Daniel replies. "Gemma has discovered what might be the local Goa’uld. Her name is Morrigan and she is the ancient Irish goddess of War, legendary for her savageness. It seems that Ena's people have oral histories that date back to when Morrigan brought their ancestors here from their native land. They say she is so fierce that she has scared away all their other gods. They still pray to the other deities, though, to come and save them. That is why they asked if we were here to help; they'd hoped we were another god come to challenge Morrigan and free them."

"Interesting. So how long has it been since they've seen this Morrigan?" Jack asks.

"Recently. They say she still comes every few months to collect slaves. She even had a palace built in her honor just east of here to house her when she stays on this world." Daniel explains.

"Great. We'll head out in the morning then, this Morrigan doesn't sound like someone we want to mess with on our first visit here."

Teal’c accepts what is clearly an invitation to stay the night with their hosts since by the end of the festival, everyone except Teal’c is too far-gone to even find their packs, let alone set up their tents.

They fall asleep with Sam and Jack sharing one of the large double beds in their hut and Daniel and Gemma sharing the other. Teal’c takes up a guard position near the door.




**********




In the morning they all, with the exception of Teal’c, accept several large cups of a rather strong local brew the locals call ‘ankanach’ to try and combat their hangovers.

They head off down the trail leading back to the Stargate in high spirits despite the fact they still have heads that hurt even after the ‘ankanach’. They wander along talking and joking.

"So, Danny Boy, keeping the skirt?" Jack asks him.

"Of course. I want to see if I can place what time in history these people were taken from Earth," Daniel replied enthusiastically.

"Or maybe you just like it so much that you just had to take it home so you could wear it again?" Jack replies with a smirk.

"Gemma, back me up here. The kilt and the dresses could provide the vital clue we need to figure out what time period these people come from," Daniel says.

"He’s right, Colonel. They will help us figure out when this society deviated from our own history," Gemma points out.

"Alright, alright, whatever. Just…" Jack is suddenly interrupted by a voice saying:

"Drop your weapons!" and suddenly, the wrong end of several staff weapons surrounded SG-1 and Gemma, each with a Jaffa on the other end.

"Guess we’d better do as they say, kids," Jack says as he, reluctantly, pulls off his weapons and places them on the ground. The rest of SG-1 and Gemma do the same.

"How lovely. I see you have captured some new toys for me to play with," a tall red-head all but purrs. "And it’s those infamous Tau’ri, how lovely," she adds, actually purring now.

"Well, we’ve had a lovely time meeting you but we have to be going along home now. Our mommies are calling," Jack says.

"Silence, slave," the red head roars, outraged now. "Jaffa, kree! Take them to separate cells. And make sure you leave a guard on the doors. I do not intend to let these Tau’ri escape."

The Jaffa hauled SG-1 and Gemma to their feet and grabbed their packs off them. They then proceed to haul them down the path, towards a palace and throw them in dark, damp cells.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Morrigan, the goddess of War, sits on her high-backed throne contemplating how to play with her newest pets. She has heard much about these troublesome Tau’ri and now is going to have her fun with them. She is only mildly surprised when she hears the roar of a Goa’uld mothership approaching the planet.

"Apophis, you cretin!" she hisses under her breath as she waits for him to appear.

The transport rings emerge in the middle of the room depositing Apophis and his Serpent guards before Morrigan. Her own Jaffa draw their weapons and aim at the intruders, who aim back. Apophis turns and sneers at them.

"Morrigan! Call off your Jaffa so that we may speak!" Apophis commands.

"And why should I? What do you want, Apophis?"

"I have come to speak with you about the Tau’ri that you hold captive."

Morrigan's green eyes flash with anger. "What are you talking about?" She motions for the guards to stand down and Apophis approaches her throne.

"I know you have them here. Do you think I do not keep tabs on you? Don't be foolish!" Apophis smiles.

"Last I heard you were rather "indisposed". . . being Sokar's prisoner and all. By the way, love what you've done with your face! I'm sure that metal plate look will come back in fashion." Morrigan replies.

"I have regained my power!" Apophis roars.

"You have no power here, Apophis."

Apophis leans forward over Morrigan and runs his fingers along her cheek. "We used to have so much fun together, Morrigan. We could again. Let me have the Tau’ri."

"We did have fun," Morrigan purrs to him, smiling seductively. "You and I had great power together!" Suddenly her anger resurfaces and Morrigan thrusts Apophis across the room and into his guards. "But you crossed me! The Tau’ri are mine. I have the power now, Apophis. Go home to your new bimbo. I hope she bores you!"

"You will regret this!" Apophis threatens.

"You are the fool! I regret nothing!" Morrigan yells back. She motions to her guards again. "Remove him from my palace!"

Morrigan watches as her guards forcibly remove Apophis from her throne room. She is in a terrible mood now and all thought of playing with her ‘pets’ has left her mind. She instead turns to the best way she can get information out of them to use against Apophis… A memory device, she thinks…the perfect way.

"Jaffa, Kree," She yells at the remaining Jaffa. "Go to my new pets and place memory devices on them. I’ll be along in a minute to watch.

"Yes, Morrigan," Her Jaffa mumble. She makes a mental note to reprimand them later. Jaffa should speak clearly.

The Jaffa disappear to do her bidding and she giggles to herself. She’s going to have a lot of fun with these pets, especially if they can help her get rid of Apophis.

The five members of the extended SG-1 are all housed in separate cold, dank cells. The walls are made of thick stone with no access to one another. Sam, Jack, Daniel, Teal'c and Gemma find themselves quite alone and helpless when the Jaffa enter their cells with what is clearly a memory device attached to a large screen.

"And I suppose you boys are here to put that shol'tak on my head so that your mistress can see my memories," Gemma says as she backs away from her captors.

Teal’c says nothing but worries for his friends.

"Well this is just peachy," Colonel O’Neill mutters sarcastically.

"Not again," Major Carter groans.

"Oh shit," Daniel Jackson says.

No one but the Jaffa can hear them though and no one can help them.

Morrigan decides to begin with Teal'c. She enters his cell and orders the memory device to be activated.

"You are Jaffa, are you not?" She asks him.

"I am," Teal'c replies.

"Who did you serve?"

Teal'c winces as the shol'tak screen activates and memories of his service to Apophis appear. Images of cruelty and pain fill the cell as Morrigan receives her answer.

"You were his first prime? Excellent. Then you can help me to destroy him!" Morrigan grins.

"I will not help you," Teal'c informs her.

"Oh, you will and I shall greatly enjoy forcing you to!" Morrigan laughs, as she proceeds to ruthlessly interrogate Teal'c.




**********




An hour later Morrigan enters Jack's cell, followed by her Jaffa guards.

"You are the leader of your foolish Tau’ri group. You will tell me what I want to know!" She demands.

Jack laughs at her bitterly as his shol'tak is activated. "The others didn't tell you anything did they? Guess you're just plum out of luck then, aren't you? 'Cause I'm certainly not gonna help!"

"On the contrary, your Jaffa revealed to me quite a bit," Morrigan snarled, still angry at the strength of Teal'c's will, which had thwarted her efforts at torture. "I know now how to make you speak."

"Oh really? How's that?" Jack asks.

"You Tau’ri have a great weakness," Morrigan explains as she circles around Jack, grinning evilly. "You care far too much about each other. You care about your friends, your team, and you do not like to see them hurt."

Memories of Daniel’s repeated deaths and of Teal'c's injuries flashed across the scene before it settled on Major Carter. Morrigan watched as Jack peered down at Sam, lying helpless on an infirmary bed, struggling for life as Jolinar died within her.

"How interesting that your memories of her should be so strong. Who is she?"

Jack shakes his head trying to fight the memories, but in the end he looses. His first meeting with Sam, four years ago in the briefing room, displays on the screen.

"Major Samantha Carter," Morrigan laughs at him. "You would be greatly disturbed if something were to happen to her would you not?"

"You stay away from my team!" Jack shouts.

"Then tell me what I want to know," Morrigan hisses.

Jack closes his eyes and turns away from her, desperately trying to think of something else.

His mind turns to Iraq and the torture he received there. If he could beat those idiots that interrogated him then he should have no problem with a Goa’uld, who in his opinion, isn’t quite in her right mind.

Morrigan chuckles as she sees the images on the screen of the torture he received there. This one should be interesting, she thinks. He will prove hard to break and will provide a lot of pleasure. Maybe once he is broken he would prove to be an adept pleasure slave, she then thinks. But not too well broken though. There should be no marks on his body before he graces my bed she thinks as she giggles and tells her Jaffa to place the memory device on record before leaving the room.

Gemma concentrated with all her might on the mental signatures of Major Carter and Colonel O’Neill. She is lost in her thoughts and doesn’t notice when Morrigan enters her cell.

Morrigan watches her pet and wonders why she has received no snide remarks yet. All of the others had something to say when she entered. Yet this one appeared to be concentrating on something.

Morrigan tried yelling at her pet, she tried kicking her, but Gemma totally ignored her. Morrigan stamped out in a huff, ignoring the fact that she hadn’t had the memory device turned on. The two Jaffa shrug and stand to attention just inside the door.

~ Major Carter, Colonel O’Neill ~ Gemma calls with all her might. ~ Please answers…please hear me ~ She tries again.

Finally, she receives a weary answer…

~ Oh, great… wasn’t the first sign of insanity hearing voices? ~ Colonel O’Neill replies back.

~Colonel O’Neill…it’s me, Gemma. ~ Gemma replies excitedly.

~ Yeah right, pull the other one, ~ Colonel O’Neill replies.

~ No really…there’s no time to explain right now… I need to connect you and Major Carter up in a mental mindlink, ~ Gemma replies.

~ Why? ~ Colonel O’Neill replies suspiciously.

~ To get us out of here of course, ~ Gemma replies impatiently.

~ What’s going on…Why can I hear Colonel O’Neill in my mind? ~ Major Carter asks as she enters the mental conversation.

~ Did you here everything I told Colonel O’Neill? ~ Gemma asks Major Carter.

~ Well yeah…but why? ~ Major Carter replies.

~ There’s no time to explain…if we’re going to get out, it has to be now ~ Gemma replies.

~ I’m all for it then. How about you Colonel? ~ Major Carter asks.

~ Yeah…I guess so… What do we have to do? ~ Colonel O'Neill asks.

~ Nothing…just let me have full access to your mental energy and we’ll be back at the Stargate in no time, ~ Gemma replies. ~ Ready? ~ she gives them no time to reply before pulling at their minds. Colonel O’Neill and Major Carter shrug their mental shoulders and open their minds to her.

Gemma's trance-like state continues as she focuses the new energy she receives from Carter and O'Neill. Alone she isn't strong enough to attempt such a drastic spell as she is about to, but with the combined energy of two already closely bound people, Gemma knows she can save her friends. All her life on Earth she had hidden what she was and had hated herself for it. Now for the first time since she was a very small girl she finds her powers do come in handy.

Gemma reaches deep inside herself to abilities long-repressed and then outward, across space to the minds of her teammates and the destination she longs for.




**********




Meanwhile Jack, as usual, is bored. He sits alone in his cell, eyes closed in an attempt to keep his mind blank and the memory device silent. A second ago he could have sworn he heard the voices of Carter and Ilinah in his head. The cynical side of him thought he was losing it, the rather desperate side of him had gone along with it.

~ Eh~ he thinks ~It's worth a shot... ~

~ What's worth a shot, Sir? ~ Sam replies.

~ I was going to see if you could hear me. I guess you can. ~

~ Apparently. ~

~ So…am I hallucinating? ~ Jack asks.

~ If you are, sir, so am I,~ Sam replies, ~ and I'd like to think of myself as mentally stable. ~

~ Yeah about as mentally stable as that naquadah reactor of hers. ~ Jack thinks to himself.

~ Hey! I heard that. ~ Sam snaps at him.

~ Wait a second, I didn't say... think... whatever... that to you. That was a random thought. ~

~ Sir, I think this mindlink may go beyond merely allowing us to communicate telepathically. ~

~ What are you getting at, Carter? ~

~ Well, let me test something... ~

Suddenly Jack finds his mind full of memories and thoughts he is quite sure aren't his. Instead of a definite voice, like he hears when 'talking' to Sam, her thoughts are more amorphous, and streak together with his own.

~ Wow, Carter! Never knew you hated lima beans so much. ~ Jack says as her thoughts seem to become more definite to him.

~ Yeah, I had a rather traumatic experience once. ~

~ You had a traumatic experience with a lima bean? ~

~ Nevermind that, Sir, what's important is that we seem to be able to read each other's thoughts. ~

~ Oh that could be bad. ~

~ Why’s that, Sir? ~

~ Oh, no reason. ~ Jack mumbles. ~ So is it scary? ~

~ Is what scary? ~

~ Being in my head. ~

~ It’s definitely an interesting experience. Once in a lifetime… hopefully~

~ Hey! It’s not that bad is it? ~

~ Sir, do you know what you think about? ~

~ You can’t blame me for unconscious thoughts, Major. ~

~ What about conscious ones? ~ Sam tries to think to herself.

~ What about them? ~

~ Nothing, sir. ~

Jack becomes aware that even as he doesn’t direct thoughts at Sam, or she at him, their link was getting stronger and deeper. Their memories and emotions were beginning to intermingle and soon neither would be able to hide anything from the other.

~At this rate she’s gonna know how I feel. ~ Jack realizes.

~ It’s kinda hard not to know, Sir… especially since you have such a vivid imagination. ~

~ Oh shit. ~

Sam has a thought: ~ Wait a minute if I see how he feels then that means… ~

~ Sure does Sammy. The chocolate I can do, but I’m not a big fan of… ~

~Sir, with all due respect… SHUT UP! ~

Gemma concentrates and finally reaches the right balance of power to transport her and SG-1 to the Stargate.

She grabs onto the mental signatures of SG-1 and pulls hard. Pulling their bodies along, through the mental slipstream she creates, she falls through the multi-coloured tunnel.

Colonel O’Neill can see moments from Major Carter’s life and pieces of his own: Sam being taken over by Jolinar…the terror Jolinar had felt that had caused her to actually take over the host’s body. The way Jolinar had saved Sam’s life, allowing herself to die. Sam and her mother baking cookies in a warm kitchen; The smell of fresh baking taking over the senses and leaving a heavenly feeling behind; Sam being beaten by Jonas. "It’s all your fault. I’m doing this for your own good, Sam."

Colonel O’Neill could only guess what Sam was going through with his own memories.

Suddenly a new perspective came through the haze he was in. He didn’t recognise it but assumed that it must be Gemma’s.

A big bonfire…a small red haired child crying beside it.

A small child, blond this time, screaming out for Gemma while being carried away by a tall person dressed entirely in black. Gemma standing sobbing, unable to stop the girl from dying, Colonel O’Neill realizes…the blond haired child was dying. He knew this hurt and knew the wound it makes.

All of a sudden, he came to his senses and found himself lying on the ground in front of the Stargate. His fellow team members and Gemma were lying around him.

He sat up and waited until his team members had woken up then said:

"I think we should get out of here pretty fast campers. This Morrigan person doesn’t look like one who would stay oblivious for long."

"Jack…What happened?"

"We’ll figure that out later Danny. For now we just need to get home." He replies with a long sideways look at Gemma.

"Sir…how can we get home if we don’t have a GDO?"

"Oh crap!" Colonel O’Neill mutters.

"Here," Gemma says as she holds out a GDO. "The village klepto kept trying to lift it last night so I hid it…in a less detectable place."

Sam, Jack, Daniel and Teal'c just stare at Gemma for a moment, rather dumbfounded.

"What?" She asks innocently. "You've never gotten lucky?"

"Gemma you are just about the luckiest dang person I have ever met!" Jack grins. "Remind me to bring you along on more of our missions. . . but right now I wanna go home. Danny, dial us home."

SG-1 and Gemma approach the event horizon as Morrigan and her forces appear on the horizon. The Jaffa begin to fire as the Tau’ri step through the gate and the last Morrigan sees of them is Jack turning around to wave and yell:

"Adios!"




**********




General Hammond is waiting impatiently for SG-1 at the bottom of the ramp as they emerge. They look disheveled and rather irked, but extremely happy to be home.

"Well that was fun. . . NOT!" Jack proclaims as the iris firmly shuts behind him.

"SG-1 you were scheduled to return two hours ago, what happened?" the General asks.

"Say that's a good question, General," Jack says sarcastically, looking quizzically at Gemma.

"I'm really not sure about all of the details, sir. . . in fact I'm not sure about any of the details," Daniel replies, his brow furrowed in the now permanent look of confusion.

"Is there one of you who DOES know what happened?" General Hammond asks with a slight sigh.

"I believe Dr Ilinah can explain," Teal'c comments.

"Indeed I can, General, and I will be more than willing to AFTER I take a shower." Gemma says with a small smile as she turns and leaves the gate room.

"SG-1, we will debrief in one hour then," the General says as he waves them off.




**********




Sam smiles to herself as Jack and Daniel enter the conference room, the last to arrive. Much to Sam's delight when she, Jack, Daniel, and Teal'c had arrived at the locker room after their standard post-mission physicals, they found Gemma was already there and the sign was turned to women. Sam stuck out her tongue and sauntered into the locker room, thrilled to have it first for a change.

The General nods to the men as they sit down. "Colonel O'Neill will you please begin."

"Well…We arrived on this planet…What did the natives call it Dr. Ilinah?" Colonel O’Neill begins…forgetting, as per usual, some of the minute details.

"Petaybee," Gemma supplies.

"Right…we stay for a feast and decide to stay the night afterwards because it was kind of dark out…" Colonel O’Neill continues.

"I believe I accepted an invitation to stay on the planet because you were too…drunk, O’Neill," Teal’c interrupts.

"Of course, Teal’c…thank you for reminding me," Colonel O’Neill says sarcastically. "So we stayed the night and in the morning we headed up the trail to the Stargate when a nice party of Jaffa came upon us and their leader had us arrested."

"Morrigan…she is the Irish goddess of war and is known for her torturous activities," Gemma adds.

"Well in that case it was good of you to get us out of her clutches before she could practice some of those activities on us," Colonel O’Neill says. "So how did you do that anyway?"

"How did she do what, Colonel O’Neill?" General Hammond asks.

"She grabbed our minds or something. She said something about using it to get us back to the Stargate." Colonel O’Neill replies.

"Colonel O’Neill is right. I didn’t have enough energy from myself to get us to the Stargate. I had to use the energy of at least two more people to get that far. I thought that Colonel O’Neill and Major Carter would be the easiest to reach." Gemma says

"But how could you do that in the first place?" General Hammond asks.

"Well…to put it simply…I’m a witch,’ Gemma replies heavily.

"Uh huh…" Colonel O’Neill says.

"A witch? What do you mean?" General Hammond asks.

"Witch, sorceress, enchantress…what ever you want to call it…I’m it. It’s magic…pure and simple, General."

"So what exactly can you do with this magic thing?" Major Carter asks, ever inquisitive.

"I can transport people or things short distances, move things, it also makes it easier for me to learn things. I also have a small amount of telepathy but no where near a large enough amount for me to communicate, using it, easily. I can also heal people."

"So why haven’t you ever told us?"

"That is a story that begins and ends with Maybourne," Gemma says.

"Of course…Maybourne has to stick his nose in everything doesn’t he," Colonel O’Neill points out.

"I meet him in 1959. He was a lot nicer then. We spent some time together for a few years."

"You what?" Colonel O’Neill asks in incredulation. "You and Maybourne? Ew, ew, ew! And may I add again, ew!"

"NOT in that way, Colonel!" Gemma clarifies. "We were friends only. He was nice to me at first, but after the accident…"

"What accident?" General Hammond asks.

"In 1962, we were both in a car accident while on the way home from a night out. A drunk driver hit the car. Maybourne wouldn’t have survived until the ambulance got there so I used my healing power on him."

"I wouldn’t have wasted that on him," Colonel O’Neill butts in.

"He recovered and the doctors didn’t know he ever had more then a tiny scratch on him. I had thought he was too out of it to remember how he survived, but a few weeks later he confronted me about it."

"And blackmailed you? That would be just like that bastard wouldn’t it," Colonel O’Neill puts in.

"That part comes later. I ran of course. There are still cults out there that would quite happily kill off witches. Even today there are a few."

"But witch burning was abolished ages ago," Daniel says.

"There are at least four cults still around the village of Salem that periodically search out and kill people they call witches." Gemma says solemnly. "The last known burning was in 1949. All the others are just unexplained disappearances."

"But…" Daniel says, and then thinks better of it.

"Anyway, after I ran I never heard of him again until a few years ago. I was already in the Stargate program and he wanted me to provide him with certain information about it."

"And did you?" General Hammond asks.

"No. I knew he could make my life difficult but I counted on you not liking Maybourne enough to not be influenced by him."

"Reasonable enough. If he had said something against you I would have done a thorough examination of your files and would have made my decision based on what I found there." General Hammond says.

"But how did he think he could get you to give him information in the first place?" Colonel O’Neill asks.

"He blackmailed me. Saying he had found one of the cults I was talking about earlier and he would turn me over to them if I did not provide him certain information."

"So you risked possible death by turning him down?" General Hammond asks.

"Again I relied on the base to have too much security to let anyone from the cult in."

"But what about when you go home?" Colonel O’Neill asks.

"If you check the base records I rarely go home for long. No more then a day at a time. And if I am attacked then I can use my transportation powers to get me to the base."

"And that’s the whole story is it?" General Hammond asks.

"That is… all that is relevant, General."

"I have a question," Daniel says. "If you don’t mind me saying. You look too young to have been around in 1959."

"There is a perfectly simple answer to that. I’m not exactly a human. I’m an immortal."

"As in god-like, never die?" O’Neill asks.

"Not precisely. I do live an extended life, there are some things that can kill immortals though. Fire is one of them. I am also not a god."

"Well…I think we’ve heard enough right now." General Hammond asks. "I need some time to think about what I’m going to do with you, Dr Ilinah. Please remain on the base until I give you permission to leave." General Hammond adds.

"Of course, General."

"Is there anything else I should know about?" Hammond asks.

He notices a look pass between Major Carter and Colonel O’Neill, but it was Gemma who answered: "No, General, there was nothing else significant. Unless you would like Daniel to include his observations on the culture significance of his kilt in the report."

"That’s quite all right. Dismissed."

As everyone stands and vacates the briefing room, Gemma hesitates though. She calls to Sam and Jack who are about to exit as well. "By the way, the mind link should wear off within the next day," she smiles at them.

"Good!" They both reply simultaneously.




The End!!!!

well?? what'd you think??? please tell us, we're dying to know!!!!! bryn.and.becca@moose-mail.com