samandjack.net

Story Notes: Author's notes: *huggles her Matt* Hop you like it darl. Feedback offlist, please.

Date: 27/03/05

Copyright (c) to Venom, 2005


If was far too hot for anyone to be sleeping, Jack decided as he slid out from the sheets of his bed. They were wet with sweat from where he'd been lying, staring at the ceiling for the past two hours, and it made for a rather uncomfortable place to be.

The July air was humid, more so than had been predicted, and his house had been locked up for three days while he was on base. As a result, the warmth had gathered and his air conditioner was recycling hot air throughout the rooms.

It would cool down eventually, he knew, but until then, he was plagued with sweat-induced insomnia and a desperate and sudden need to pee.

Taking care of the bladder issue in his ensuite, Jack quietly passed the snoring woman in his bed – bloody witch could sleep through a nuke going off next to her, never mind the heat. He padded silently into the lounge room, figuring that the boredom of an old David Letterman re-run on cable could persuade sleep to claim him.

Eyeing his coffee table, he wondered when "Advanced Physics – The Theory Of somethinghecouldn'tpronounce" had been added to his collection. Probably around the same time that the engraved fountain pen had migrated to his office, tampons had moved in next to his shaving cream and black lace – not his size though - had joined the ranks of his underwear drawer.

Letterman wasn't holding his interest enough to put him to sleep, so Jack decided that another tactic was in order.

Rising, he headed for the kitchen. Opening the fridge door, he spied the non-fat yogurt, light beer and salad-y type stuff that he normally didn't eat. Pulling out the full cream milk, he opened the carton and raised it before remembering that she didn't like him doing things like that. – What normal human *didn't* drink milk straight from the carton? What was the point of glasses anyway? Just made more washing up in his opinion.

Regardless, he didn't need to be picking petty fights. Pulling a mug off one of the little hooks on the wall that hadn't been there a few weeks ago, he poured the milk in and opened the microwave door. He wondered why on earth anyone would like warm milk, it didn't sound particularly appetizing, but if it helped him sleep, he would suffer.

Waiting the required 29 seconds, Jack stopped the microwave before it could 'beep.' As much of a heavy sleeper as she was, he didn't want to take the risk of waking her.

Chuckling at his own consideration of another person, he sipped at the warm milk, wincing at the slightly off taste. They had to go grocery shopping tomorrow – today, actually – he decided.

As odd as living with someone again was, he had to concede that he liked it.

Not that he would admit it to her, but it was kinda nice that his clothes all smelt like apples now - Fabric softener, who knew? – and they didn't come out of the machine with bits of tissue all over them. Apparently, you were supposed to *empty* your pockets before washing. Heh.

Women were smart, he decided.

While the clothes thing was really nice, it wasn't the only reason he liked having her around. Obviously, the regular sex after nine years of solitary masturbation was a bonus, but it was the little things that made him smile.

Like how she would always check the mailbox before she came inside and she would remember to keep the catalogues for him to browse through. There were candles around his bathtub, and it wasn't very masculine, but sharing a candlelight bath with her far outweighed the hits to his manly pride. He had to get pineapple on half of his pizzas now, but it was a small price to pay for living with someone that didn't smell and always wore clean clothes.

Yeah, that week of house sharing with Daniel really had been tough.

Milk finished, he rinsed the mug in the sink – another thing she liked – and left it to rest upside down.

"You're learning."

He turned, smiling at her. She was resting against the frame of the kitchen entry, smiling. And she was wearing his shirt, the witch. Looked better on her anyway. "I am?"

"Yes, you rinsed your mug."

He knew that would impress her. "I try."

"Why are you up? It's 3am."

"Couldn't sleep."

"Too hot?"

"Yeah. Why are you up?"

"Couldn't sleep."

"Too hot?"

"No, you weren't beside me."

That was possibly the best thing that had ever been said to him. Next to the first time she had said 'I love you', naturally. He didn't really have an appropriate response to that though, so he just grinned at her like an idiot.

"Come back to bed, Jack."

"Still too hot." He protested, but as her slim fingers began to work at the buttons of his shirt, he wondered why.

"I never said anything about sleep."

The shirt hit the floor – right along with his jaw – and she smiled before turning and heading towards their bedroom.

Yep, life with a woman didn't get much better than this.

Especially this particular woman.