samandjack.net

Story Notes: NOTES: I was assuming that there was a little time between the return from Abydos and setting out for Chulak...but I just checked the tape and now I'm not so sure....anyway here is my version of what might have happened :):):)

SPOILERS: Children of th Gods


How long did it take a normal guy to choose a pair of pants?

Jack had been sitting in Starbuck's for at least an hour. He was on his third cup of coffee and his second time through the paper....including all the adverts. Jack hated the mall. His idea of a shopping trip was to run into the nearest men's store grab the first pair of pants in his size and leave. Five minutes tops. Even being here was enough to make him jumpy....if Daniel hadn't left all his clothes on Abydos.....Jack had offered Daniel some of his stuff, but the archaeologist hadn't been too enthusiastic....mostly because he was shorter and bulkier than Jack. Hence, the visit to shopping hell.

They were cooling their heels. It had been two days since the return from Abydos. Somewhere, some top brass was discussing the pros and cons of continuing the Stargate programme....but Jack wasn't part of those discussions. He wasn't sure how much longer they were going to be kept waiting, but until he heard different, he had the self appointed task of looking after Daniel and making sure the poor guy didn't go off the rails. He seemed to be coping relatively well....better than Jack would have done under the circumstances. But somehow that fact was slightly worrying.

Jack's train of thought was interrupted by the need for a fourth cup of coffee. He glanced around and....

Woah!

She was gorgeous. Tall, slim, blonde, her hands full of shopping bags, walking towards the counter. Jack couldn't tear his eyes away. She ordered her coffee, but was struggling slightly as she turned to find a place to sit. Jack was out of his seat in a flash....his heart racing, his palms sweating. He wasn't the only guy to notice her predicament, but he moved just that little bit faster.

"Need a hand?" he offered.

"Thanks, sir," a very familiar voice replied.

Jack's jaw dropped. Carter! That would teach him to watch a woman's face and not her butt. No matter, he gallantly gathered up her bags and carried them to the table where he had been sitting. He was slightly surprised Carter let him. After their first meeting, Jack had convinced himself she had a chip on her shoulder regarding the male members of the species.

She slid into the seat opposite him, letting out a sigh of relief.

"Talk about shop till you drop," she grinned. "All this waiting around is getting to me....hence the shopping spree."

Despite finding out the object of his lust was a fellow airforce officer, Jack still thought she looked pretty good. Nicely fitting jeans, a blue T-shirt......

"So, sir, what are you doing here?" she asked.

"Don't strike you as the shopping type, huh?"

"Not really."

"I'm here with Daniel. Desert robes don't really cut it in Colorado Springs."

Carter laughed.

"How's he doing?" she asked.

"Good, considering....except he says it's too cold here. He made me turn the heat up. My house is like a sauna."

Jack was slightly uncomfortable talking about Daniel's personal life.....especially with Carter. She seemed very concerned with his well being, which was a little annoying. It seemed Dr. Jackson was a real hit with the ladies.

"I don't suppose you've heard anything yet....about the Stargate I mean?" Sam asked.

"Nope," Jack replied, " I reckon we've got at least a couple more days before we can expect a decision."

"They want me back in Washington, if it takes much longer I'm going to have to go."

"You don't want to?"

"No way! This is the chance I've been waiting for. That's the problem with having a PhD. Most assignments have me holed up in a lab. If the Stargate program gets the green light I'm hoping for some more field experience."

"Best of both worlds."

"Exactly."

Her enthusiasm was infectious and Jack couldn't stop himself grinning at her. Sam coloured slightly at his frank appraisal.

"What?" she demanded.

"Nothing," he replied. "You want another coffee?"

"Thanks, sir...but I should really get going. I'm only about halfway through the mall. Still a lot of shopping to do before closing time."

"Have fun."

"I will."

She gathered her bags up and started towards the door. Without really thinking Jack went after her, meaning to open the door, not to ask,

"You wanna go out for dinner tonight?"

He couldn't believe he'd just spoken those words. Carter looked very surprised. It wasn't unusual, was it? Asking a beautiful woman to have dinner with him.....okay so he was technically a superior officer, but she wasn't under his direct command now....and the chances of her ever being so were pretty slim.

"Well?" he pushed.

"I'd like that, sir," she smiled back.

Result!!!

"Pick you up at eight?"

"Actually, sir, I'm staying on the base, it might be better if I pick you up."

"Fine by me....."

Jack wasn't going to argue over that point of protocol.

".....as long as you let me get the bill."

"Sure."

Now that did surprise him. Carter picked up on his change of expression and offered him an explanation,

"Equality is all well and good, sir, but I never turn down a free meal."

With a smile and a wave she was gone. Jack returned to his seat, trying to stop himself hyperventilating. He couldn't believe what he had just done....or the fact Carter had agreed to go out with him.

"Oh, sir...." her voice.

Jack looked up, she was back.

"Where do you live?"

"My house?"

"I could break into the base computer and read your file...."

With shaking hands he wrote down his address. Carter tucked it into her wallet and disappeared again.

Ever since Sara had left, people had been telling him he should start seeing other people. Well-meaning friends had even arranged dates for him, but Jack had always managed to wriggle out of it somehow. What had changed? Why the hell was he trying to hit on a bright, beautiful woman like Carter? She'd probably accepted out of sympathy. Right, just butter up the old guy and hope he'd give her a good recommendation. Not that he had any intention of doing otherwise. She was a good officer.

Jack didn't realise he had a grin plastered across his face. People were staring at him...and Daniel, when he finally showed up, thought his friend had gone completely mad.

*************************************************************************************

A date. She had a date with Colonel O'Neill. Sam couldn't believe what had just happened. So she admitted it. Ever since she had read the first reports from Abydos, she'd had a bad case of hero worship with regards to a certain J. O'Neill. Actually, meeting the man in person had almost put paid to that...if it weren't for one thing. He made her laugh.

It had been a long time since she had been on a date....almost two years....since Jonas. After that little disaster, Sam had thrown herself into her work. Ignoring every guy who had thrown a flattering comment in her direction.....so what had changed? She didn't really know much about the Colonel.....other than the public parts of his military record. But she thought it might be kind of fun finding out. He was pretty cute. even if he was a little older than she was. Sam found the purpose of her shopping expedition undergoing a major change. No longer a trip to relieve her boredom, she started to look for suitable first date outfits.

The Colonel seemed to be a pretty informal guy, so she didn't want anything too dressy. Maybe some new jeans? A little low cut top....she treated herself to a new lipstick....Assuming, of course, this was a date. What other reason would the Colonel have for asking her to dinner? Sam was suddenly struck by self doubt. What would that kind of guy want from a woman? She had to face facts.....she was a scientist....the very type of person he hated. If he thought Daniel Jackson was a geek.....

She made her preparations carefully. Unfortunately, base quarters weren't exactly conducive for getting ready for a date. Instead of a long hot bath, she had to settle for the communal showers....where the water tended to dribble from the shower head....and was never the right temperature. Not to mention the fact there were people around who wanted to know exactly where
she was going and who she was going with.

It wasn't that Sam was embarrassed about seeing the Colonel, but she admitted it could look a little odd. Like she was trying to sleep her way onto the Stargate program. George Hammond had known her long enough to realise she'd never stoop so low....even so....people would talk. The first thing she as going to do when this assignment became permanent, was buy herself a house. She'd spent far too much of her life in barracks.

She'd had second and third thoughts by the time 2000 hours came around. She drove around the block a couple of times getting more and more nervous. It would look really bad if she stood him up.

The house was in a quiet part of town. It stood on it own, making Sam think that the Colonel was a man who kept to himself. It wasn't especially large, so he probably lived on his own. There was a ladder on one side of the building, leading up onto the roof....if she hadn't been late Sam would have been tempted to take a look and see what was up there.

Ten past eight and she rang the bell.

The Colonel opened the door almost immediately, as if he'd been looking out for her. In which case he'd probably seen her drive past twice. Sam felt her cheeks flush. He looked really hot. Blue jeans, a tight fitting T-shirt....

"Hi," she said.

"Hi," he replied.

"Sorry I was late."

"No problem. It can be a little difficult to find. You want to come in for a second?"

"Yeah."

She followed him down the hall and into the living room. It was comfortable looking, although definitely male. Certificates, model planes, a poster of Mars.....a fireplace dominated one wall, a couch, armchairs....one of which was occupied.

"Dr. Jackson...." Sam said.

Daniel smiled at her, "Hello Captain."

"How are you?"

"Fine."

But he didn't seem fine. Sam glanced at the Colonel, who shrugged. She could tell he was worried about his friend. Maybe they should ask Dr. Jackson to accompany them.....

"Carter and I were just going to go for a bite to eat....you wanna come?" Jack offered.

"It's okay," Daniel said. "I just want to hang out here."

"Really, come with us," Sam added.

"I would rather stay.....you go....have fun."

Realising that any further argument was futile, the Colonel picked up his coat and guided Sam out of the house.

"You think he's going to be okay?" Sam asked when they got outside.

"I hope so....come on...I booked a table for 2030."

*************************************************************************************

Sam looked amazing. He'd privately thought she looked pretty cute in her dress uniform....but tonight she was stunning. Jack sincerely hoped she'd gone to all this effort just for him. It certainly made an old guy feel good. She was wearing jeans again, but she'd swapped her T-shirt for a low cut top....which showed a lot more than any military uniform. He loved the look of her smooth creamy skin and was even allowing himself some mild fantasies about running his hands over.....

What was wrong with him? He hadn't felt this way about anyone since....well....since Sara. Even then it had been kind of a slow process...not this sudden rush of feelings. It was probably just hormones. That was it....Hormones.

"So what do you have on your roof?" she smiled at him over her glass of wine.

"What?" he asked.

"I saw the ladder."

"Oh....a telescope. I'm kinda into astronomy."

He was slightly embarrassed by the admission, but when he looked into Sam's face he couldn't help but see her excitement.

"Really?" she asked.

"Yeah....surprised?"

"Kind of."

"You could come back and take a look...if you wanted."

Oh God.....what had he just said? He'd invited Sam back to his place. No problem. She would never agree.

"I'd like that. Conditions are just about perfect," she agreed.

Agreed....Jack took a gulp of his drink. This was like some kind of dream. Beautiful women didn't agree to come back to his place....it just didn't happen. It wasn't like he'd planned any of this. She was only going to look at his scope and then leave...that was all. Even so, he felt damn good as he paid the bill and escorted Sam outside. He felt confident enough to place a hand on the small of her back, enjoying the play of her muscles against his fingertips. She was right. It was a perfect night for stargazing. He'd dig out a couple of beers, they could sit on his roof and....who knew?

Of course there was the fact that Daniel was in the house....but Daniel was a guy, right....he'd understand. Make himself scarce if necessary.

Woah...this was all moving fast. But there was just something about Sam....she fascinated him. Beautiful....yes. Smart....yes. Funny....yes. There was an indefinable something....a purity of heart and spirit which made Jack catch his breath. Yet, her innocence was marred by
something....some sorrow.....he didn't know what. It only made her more attractive. Jack found himself wanting to tell her about Charlie, about Sara, to bare his soul.

It was a strange sensation. Jack had a hard enough time talking to his friends, why would he want to discuss personal matters with someone who was almost a stranger? But he felt like he'd known her for years.

She drove them back to his place. Jack was tempted to go inside first, but he reckoned that Daniel might still be up, so he took Sam straight up to the roof. As expected, she was more interested in the scope than she was him. But Jack just enjoyed watching her. It seemed her enthusiasm was boundless. She chattered on for ages, asking him about his observations, his favourite celestial objects, planets, stars. It was a rare experience for Jack to have such a technical dialog, and understand ever word...or maybe Sam was keeping it simple on purpose. He didn't really care. It was nice to have a conversation with a fellow airforce officer without it reverting to tales of killing....and showing scars....although maybe the latter wasn't such a bad idea.

"You want to come in for a beer?" he offered, after they had been observing for a couple of hours.

Sam blushed, for what reason he couldn't tell.

"Are you trying to get me drunk, Jack?" she teased.

"No...."

He really wasn't, he just didn't want her to leave just yet.

"It's not like either of us have any place to be tomorrow."

"I have to drive back to the base."

Jack was silent, his meaning implicit. He expected her to make a dash for the ladder, but she just looked at him, her eyes narrowing slightly. Now Jack was the one who was blushing. He couldn't believe he'd been so forward, not on a first date.

"I have a spare room," he said.

"Which Dr. Jackson is sleeping in," Sam reminded him.

"There's another one. It's a bit cramped but the bed is okay."

"You are trying to get me drunk."

"Do you want a beer or not?"

"Yes."

He led the way into the house, hardly able to believe his luck. Not that he was going to get lucky.....was he? He had been telling the truth about the second spare room....it wasn't more than a box room really....and that's what it contained, but Sam was welcome to it.

"I hope Daniel hasn't trashed the place," Jack joked as they walked into the kitchen.

The lights in the living room were switched off...although the fire was still lit. Jack picked up a couple of beers from the fridge and directed Sam into the other room.

"Umm.....sir..."

Her return to the military form of address immediately alerted Jack. Still clutching the beer he hurried into the room, drawing to a halt by Sam's side.

"Damn..." he muttered.

Daniel was sprawled out on the floor, an empty bottle of Jack's whiskey still clutched in his hand.

"Give me a hand here, Carter," Jack ordered as he attempted to pick up his friend.

Sam immediately came to his side. Together, they pulled Daniel to his feet.

"Bathroom?" Sam asked.

"Good idea," Jack replied.

Daniel was semi-concious by this time and wasn't in the most co-operative of moods. He didn't want to go anywhere and made his feelings known by dragging his feet. Jack and Sam found themselves attempting to carry his dead weight. Jack was immediately impressed by how strong Sam was.

Once Daniel got to the bathroom, he seemed glad to be there. Given the fact he started to throw up. Jack held him over the bowl......he chanced a glance at Sam. She offered him a reassuring smile. This wasn't the way he wanted their date to end. Daniel was going to pay for this...in ways which were too excruciating to mention. This was gross.....worse than when Charlie had been sick.

"....m Sorry," Daniel mumbled, when he finally finished vomiting.

"It's okay," Jack replied, helping him to bed.

"You wanted to sleep with Captain doctor...whatever. You like her, don't you?"

"Shut up Daniel."

He hoped Sam hadn't heard that. She was standing in the doorway to Daniel's bedroom, ready to lend a hand if necessary. Jack motioned with his head and Sam, getting the hint, moved away.

"You like her," Daniel repeated, much louder.

At that point Daniel collapsed in a fit of giggles....laughter which quickly turned to tears. He grabbed hold of Jack, hugging him, tightly.

"Don't let them take her away from you, Jack. Don't let them...hold on to her."

"It's okay, Daniel," Jack whispered, "We'll find Sha're, I promise."

But Daniel had lost consciousness again and didn't hear Jack's reassuring words.

After making his friend as comfortable as possible, Jack returned to the living room. Sam was waiting for him, curled up on the couch, quietly sipping her beer.

"I think he'll be okay," he said, sitting beside her.

She seemed lost in her own thoughts for a few moments. Jack didn't feel it was his place to say anything, so they just sat together for a while, drinking beer. It felt comfortable...maybe a little too comfortable given the amount of time they had known each other.

"Do you think he'll ever find her?" Jack asked.

"There are a lot of planets out there...who knows, we may get lucky."

"Thought as much."

"I guess you never know what you've got until it's gone."

"You can say that again."

Jack's thoughts immediately drifted to Charlie and Sara. Sitting here with Sam, he could help feeling an odd sense of betrayal. She must have picked up on his change of mood, because she put down her beer bottle and picked up her coat.

"I really should go," she said.

"Yeah," he replied, knowing he'd feel guilty if he asked her to stay any longer. Besides there was a chance Daniel might need taking to the bathroom again....

He escorted her to the door, wishing he could recapture the sense of elation from earlier in the evening. Sam paused on the way out, offering him a smile,

"You know something....," she began.

"What?"

"I like you too."

Leaning forward, she kissed his cheek.

"Thanks for a lovely evening."

*************************************************************************************

Sam felt a little awkward around Jack when they saw each other the next day. They met in the elevator on the way down into the mountain...although Sam had a sneaking suspicion that he had been waiting for her. Dr Jackson was there too....completely oblivious to what had happened the previous night. Which was probably a good thing. Sam didn't particularly want the news of her date with the Colonel spread around the base. She wanted to cherish the feeling a little longer before they went public...that was assuming he asked her out again. The evening had ended on a low note. Jack had withdrawn into himself, and Sam couldn't fathom why. It had something to do with Dr. Jackson. Some bad memory, perhaps? There had been a great deal left out of the reports of the first Abydos mission...although Sam was only just realising how much.

When they reached the lower levels of Cheyenne mountain, Jackson disappeared in the general direction of the commissary, while Sam and Jack went to get changed. The first thing Jack did when they were alone was to apologise,

"I'm sorry about last night," he said.

"It's okay," Sam reassured him.

"I'd like to make it up to you, Saturday?"

Sam smiled at him, but she had to add,

"Assuming I'm not back in Washington."

"If they close this place down, I'll retire again....so I'll come and see you there."

"I really hope they don't."

She didn't want to go back to the Pentagon. Sam had been working on the Stargate for years and her brief taste of 'gate travel had been a dream come true. Anything else would seem mundane.

"I'm betting we'll get another chance," Jack said.

"Just think of what we could discover!"

Jack treated her to an indulgent grin.

"You'll go through the Stargate again, Sam. I'm sure of it."

"And you?"

" Depends what they think and old guy like me can offer."

"Somehow, I can't see you stuck behind a desk."

Unless it was asleep behind a pile of paperwork. No, Jack was meant to be out in the field....she only hoped her superiors would realise that. As for herself...she fully expected to be banished to the labs. Not that working with alien technology wouldn't be fun....

"What about Dr. Jackson?" Sam asked.

"He's going to want to find Sha're," Jack replied. "I have no problem with that. If it'll stop him throwing up in my bathroom, I'll take him anywhere."

They had reached the locker room by this time and Sam waved goodbye to Jack before disappearing inside to change into her dress uniform. She was all fingers and thumbs. She couldn't remember the last time she had been this excited.....She could only hope it was all going to be worthwhile.

*************************************************************************************

He knew it was over the second Hammond announced Sam's assignment to SG-1. It was his own fault, he shouldn't have given her such a good recommendation.

One glance at her face told him all he needed. She wouldn't consider reassignment because of a personal matter. Besides he wouldn't want her to. Jack had listened as she spoke about the Stargate...and how much it meant to her to be out in the field, discovering new planets, alien technology. The only comment he made was in the corridor outside the gateroom.

"I guess Saturday's off," he whispered.

Sam nodded, unhappily, biting her lip. She seemed to feel as badly about this as he did. But she could hardly be expected to pass up this opportunity on the strength of one semi-successful date. SG-1 was the prime assignment, there was no doubt about that....and he was kind of pleased to have her on his team. Kind of.....

Maybe....

There was time to get to know her a little better and see if his first instincts were right
right.... If this was a woman for whom he could come to care for...a lot more that he was supposed to.