samandjack.net

Story Notes: Season/Sequel Info: Season 4 episode tag for "Tangent"

Spoilers: Minor to major ones for "Tangent."

Archive: Yes, please. Sam and Jack and Heliopolis, others, please ask.
Story notes: This is a *total* bit of fluff I wrote after seeing "Tangent," but never got around to posting. I actually wonder what's possessing me now!


~Welcome Home~



The impromptu celebration was in full swing when SG-1 materialized in the 'gate room. At the sound of the transport rings depositing the team members, all sounds of rejoicing stopped, only to be resumed the moment it was clear who had suddenly joined the party.

Before Sam realized it, she was surrounded by a sea of people, not only welcoming back Colonel O'Neill and Teal'c, but congratulating herself and Daniel Jackson as well. Somehow a plastic cup of champagne appeared in her hand, and she wondered, only for a moment, how they'd managed to have the celebritory beverage on hand so quickly.

Looking up into the control room, she saw the smiling face of General Hammond as he reached for the microphone.

"Good job, SG-1! Welcome home!"

Jack looked up, giving the general a jaunty salute. "Thank you, Sir! It's good to be back!"

The team was pulled in separate directions by curious on-lookers, all asking questions at once. Sam tried not to keep sneaking glances at Jack, but she couldn't help it. When she'd heard his and Teal'c's attempt to slingshot around Jupiter had failed, a cold had gripped her heart she never thought would leave. She wouldn't allow herself to think they'd missed their one chance at returning home, and yet she couldn't quell the fear that had risen inside her.

Sam wished they hadn't been separated by the burgeoning crowd. It's not like she could stand in the 'gate room, holding Jack's hand, reassuring herself he was really there. Still, it would have been nice if she'd been able to maintain the contact of his arm pressing against hers as they'd crowded together for transport. Now, separated only by a few feet, she felt as if they were still divided by light years. It was difficult to keep her eyes from straying to him, confirming he was truly back with them.

Sam felt Daniel's gaze upon her. As her eyes met his, he gave her a warm smile, sympathizing with her situation. She'd never talked to him about her feelings for Jack, but she was aware he knew. Probably before she did, actually. Daniel's look prompted a return smile of her own, and she bent her head, suddenly feeling self-conscious at having confirmed his suspicions.

"Colonel O'Neill," Hammond's voice rang out over the noise of the celebrants, "we'll debrief once you and your team have had a chance to hit the showers."

"A little heat sounds good about now, Sir!" Jack called out, ushering his team past the well-wishers lining the corridors.

Once they were clear of the congestion, Sam, Jack and Daniel sprinted down the hall. It had become a tradition that whoever reached the locker rooms first, had first crack at the showers. Sam didn't think the competition was exactly fair when there was three of them and only one of her, but as Teal'c rarely participated, it narrowed the odds a bit.

Today, Sam was in top form, using her built-up adrenaline to add a burst of speed. Reaching the door before Daniel, she gloated as he approached the entrance. Jack wasn't far behind, claiming it was his earlier lack of oxygen inhibiting his performance.

"Don't be sore losers," Sam said, patting Daniel on the arm. "How often do I win?"

"Uh, most of the time," he said.

"I'll be quick, I promise," Sam said, entering the locker room and turning the sign over to "women."

Sam ran her hands through her short hair. It felt grimy, and the thought of standing in a hot shower, relaxing her muscles sounded heavenly. She really should have let the guys have the shower first, but she needed a moment to gather her thoughts before the meeting.

Letting the water sluice over her body, Sam tried to calm her racing heart. He was back--they both were back--safe and sound. So why were her knees weakening and her legs beginning to shake, threatening to collapse beneath her?

Reaching out an unsteady hand, Sam turned the water off, wrapping a towel around her body. Slowly, cautiously, she made her way to the changing area. Finally, when her legs could no longer support her weight, Sam almost fell to the bench.

She couldn't stop shaking. Rationally, she knew Jack was safe, he was home, and his ordeal was over. If only her body would catch up with her mind. Now that the tension had dissipated, all Sam was left with was the memory of how close she'd come to losing him.

She didn't hear the outer door open as she sat, shivering, watching the water droplets dripping from her hair onto the cold floor.

"Sam?" a tentative voice asked. "You almost through?"

Sam turned to see Jack standing in the doorway, as she pulled the towel tighter around her. A shudder passed through her body as she stared at him.

"You okay?" he asked. "You're white as a ghost."

"I'm f...fine," she said, through chattering teeth. "I'll j...just be a minute."

Jack took a look around the locker room, making sure they were alone. "You don't look fine. How come you're not dressed?" he asked, straddling the bench, sitting next to her.

Sam looked up at him, trying desperately to keep her emotions in check. "I was so scared, Jack. I thought I'd lost you forever." She was so distraught, she hadn't even noticed she'd called him by his name. Jack seemed to notice, though, as his eyebrows raised at her unaccustomed familiarity.

Sam didn't realized he'd moved closer until she felt his arms encircle her, warming and assuring her with his presence.

"It's gonna take a little more than getting flung into space in a defunct experimental aircraft to kill me," he joked, running his hand over her wet hair.

Sam laughed in spite of herself, amazed how he always seemed to know how to make her feel better. Jack pulled her tighter, resting his chin on the top of her head.

"I thought about you, too, ya know."

"You did?"

"Yeah, I kept wondering when you were going to come up with some miracle to save my ass again."

"Actually, it was Daniel that did it. He's the one who convinced Anise to give us some clue as to where the closest Tok'ra vessel might be."

"Seriously, Sam, I had a lot of time for reflection, waiting for the oxygen to run out."

Sam shivered again, trying to imagine what it must have been like for him, watching his chance for survival diminishing by the second. "And did you come to any conclusions?" she asked.

"Just that I thought about what we said in that room, how we agreed not to act on our feelings." he said, taking a deep breath. "And how much I regretted that."

"Sir, you know why we can't," Sam said, sitting up from him.

"Yeah, I do, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. And what's with the 'sir?' A minute ago I was 'Jack.'"

Sam gave him a small smile. "I kept thinking too, about how you were going to die," she whispered. "And how you were never going to know how much you mean to me. How I never said the words. How much I. . . . I couldn't tell you, not over an open comm line, and that's what hurt most of all, that you'd never know."

"I know, Sam," Jack said, pulling her into his arms again. "I know."

They sat in silence, Jack holding her until she calmed and stopped shaking.

"You could say the words now," he suggested. "That is if you still feel the same way, now that ya know I'm gonna live."

Sam smiled into Jack's damp shirt, "I'm rather happy that you're going to live." Pulling back once more, Sam stared into his eyes and confessed, "I love you, Jack."

Jack's features softened as he tenderly brushed the short hair back from her face. "I love you too. I'm just sorry it took me almost dying to actually say the words."

"Me too." They continued to stare at each other, Sam's gaze lowering to his lips as they gravitated toward one another. Just before their lips met, they heard Daniel's exclamation from the doorway.

"Guys? Is everything okay? Teal'c and I have been waiting for. . .Whoa! Uh, sorry! I, Uh, thought that maybe. . . . I'll be going now," Daniel said, quickly turning from the couple before him. Sam and Jack sprang apart, and Sam felt her face flush, feeling as guilty as if her father had caught them.

Jack sighed, "Daniel, I don't care if you *are* the 'Great and Powerful Oz,' your timing stinks!" Embarrassed, Jack ran a hand through his short hair as Daniel quickly retreated.

Watching the door close behind her friend, Sam cleared her throat, "I suppose I should get dressed. I don't want to hold up the debriefing." Sam stood, moving toward her locker when Jack took her hand.

"I suppose this means this is another room we have to leave it in," he said sadly.

Sam wavered a moment, trying to submerge her feelings once more. "Yes, Sir, it does. I'm sure Daniel won't say anything," she tried to assure him.

"You're right, I'm sure he won't." Jack crossed to the door, his back to her. "Ya know, it would be nice if he *was* the Great and Powerful Oz. It'd be nice if we could go over the rainbow, just for a little while."

"Yes, sir," Sam agreed. "It would."



The End