samandjack.net

Story Notes: A sequel to First Meeting.


He called me Sara again today. Not that he knows....about today, the time in Antarctica or when we were in the Gulf. I really wish he'd stop doing that. Kinda hard for a girl to maintain her crush on her commanding officer when he keeps on confusing her with his ex-wife.

I've only met Sara once. She was at the hospital with the copy of O'Neill. I'd often wondered what she looked like. Sure, she's a little like me. Older though....but there's enough of a physical resemblance for a sick man to make a mistake. Why is it always me? OK, maybe its because Teal'c and Daniel are guys, but do I have a sign on me saying 'use as emotional replacement'. I don't think so!

We were out in the field. The Colonel got himself injured and by the time we found him he was already pretty far gone. Idiot. He shouldn't have gone in without me as backup. That's beside the point. The first words out of his lips when I bent over him....Sara. He called me Sara. I remember looking up at Daniel and he placed a friendly hand on my shoulder. He knows how I feel about my Colonel. So what did I do? What any good officer would...I pretended to be his wife...Again.

It took us three days to get him back to the gate. He kept on asking me where Charlie was. I think that hurt more than anything else. How was I supposed to tell him that his son was dead? Yes, I lied. Under the circumstances, I couldn't do anything else. Charlie was at school, out playing in the yard, staying with friends....anything rather than the truth. I think I told the lies a little too well. He wouldn't let go of me. For three days I slept by my Colonel's side, the fever raging through his body warming my own. Holding him tight...telling him that I loved him....remembering that time in the Saudi hospital.

Funny, I always knew I'd see him again. Although I didn't quite count on being under his command. He still thinks that we met for the first time in the briefing room at the SGC. Now that was a day to remember. I recognised him straight away. Those eyes...couldn't forget those eyes. My brain went into shock and my mouth into overdrive. They didn't communicate for at least ten minutes. Long enough for me to embarrass myself. I got out of that room and just wanted to scream. For years I had been rehearsing a witty, intelligent sounding speech....and what did I do? Give him a lecture on women's rights. Way to make a first impression, Carter!

I think, over the years, I've managed to redeem myself.....although he still asks me if I want to arm wrestle. Then there was the incident with the 'sweet little tank top number'. Yeah, he still rags me about that too. How can he remember stuff like that and still confuse me with Sara? I know I'm not being fair....but I would like him to call my name....just once.

Janet knows about the mistaken identity thing. You see he was still calling me Sara when we got back here. I spent another night by his bedside, holding his hand. Janet thought I was nuts and told me so in no uncertain terms. But what if he actually wanted me and I wasn't there? I don't think I would be able to live with myself. That's an exaggeration, but I'd spend several hours with a bottle of Chardonnay and a tub of chocolate ice cream....and chocolate sauce. Definitely need to stock up on the chocolate sauce.

He's a little better today. Daniel, Teal'c and I went to visit him in the infirmary. We made a few jokes, but he really isn't up to witty repartee. He tires easily. Janet says that she'll let him out in another week, but only if he gets enough rest. That's her not so subtle hint for us to get out.

"Sam," his voice stopped me at the door. Letting the others go ahead, I went back to his bedside.

"Yes, sir?" I asked.

"I had dreams," he continued.

"Sir?"

"It started in the Gulf....before we even met...I saw your face, Major. How?"

"I was out there, sir. It's possible that you may have seen me at some time."

"I called you Sara, didn't I?"

There's more than one answer to this question, but I decide on the simplest...after all Janet probably told him.....

"Yes, you did."

He reaches out and takes my hand.......then I realise that he's not talking about recent events....but about a woman he kissed in a Saudi hospital.

"Must stop doin' that."



The End.