samandjack.net

Story Notes: Season/sequel: Three, sequel to "Why Do I feel like this?" I hope that you all enjoy this and that it fits well with the first story. I apologize in advance for any tense problems.


It's been three days, three hours, thirty-six minutes and six seconds since our little conversation - the little conversation that changed everything. I should not have done it. It was stupid and I had known that, but I had not cared.

Now, I miss the little things. The smiles, the jokes, the exchange of glances, the slightest touch, the little comments. They're all gone. All the little things have gone and I miss them. I miss them like Hell. It's all my fault, but I had needed to know.

I had gone to see her. I'd had to. What she'd said in the infirmary had puzzled me so I'd gone to see her. When she'd opened the door I could see her inner fight to forbid me entrance to her room, but I had pushed passed her. I had stood on the other side of her room for ages just fiddling with objects on her desk. I'd finally turned to face her and she was stood facing me, but looking down at her feet. Her arms were crossed against her chest and if I hadn't been so confused I would have smiled at her embarrassment.

After a painfully long silence I had eventually spoken. I hadn't meant for my tone to be as harsh as it had been. It had clearly upset her further.

"What do you think you're playing at?" I'd asked.

She had looked up, tears brimming in her eyes. I hadn't seen her this upset very often and it had never been because of me, until now.

"I... I..."

"I'm waiting, Major." I'd said in an impatient tone, which had only worsened the situation.

"I'm sorry, sir. I don't know what came over me. I think it has something to do with the bang to the head."

She lied pathetically so I'd told her so. "It's not very nice to lie to your CO, Carter. Now, what were you talking about?"

She had answered me immediately, probably because I'd shouted her an order. For whatever reason, I had not been prepared for angry declaration. "I was talking about her replacing me on SG-1 because it's obvious you'd rather her be there than me." She had almost shouted shocking me.

"What!" I'd asked in total disbelief. She had sounded so stupid yet also vulnerable.

"It's obvious you and the guys would rather go on missions with her. I mean she even got you interested in artifacts." She had whispered the last part, but I had heard it.

I could not explain it then and I still can't. Major Taylor had made science seem interesting for the first time ever, but I didn't and still don't want her on my team. I wanted and still want Sam on the team.

"You're jealous." I'd said without thinking about it. I don't know how I figured it. I've never been good at figuring out other's emotions, hell I couldn't even figure out mine. When she didn't respond I did figure out mine.

I had suddenly realized that she was jealous, I was flattered. She was jealous and it wasn't because this new Major was a rival for her career but was a rival for me. I had figured out how I felt and had felt for ages.

I'd taken a step closer to her and she had once again looked at the floor. I'd stood in front of her.

"You shouldn't be jealous." I had said.

"I know. You're my CO and it's against regulations."

I'd taken her by the elbows forcing her to look at me. "I think it's best if you transfer to another SG team."

She had tried to pull away, but I had simply gripped her tighter. "See I knew it!" She'd exclaimed angrily. "You'd rather her be on the team. Wouldn't you? Wouldn't you?" She had shouted.

I couldn't think of what to say so I had kissed her. It had been a slow kiss. A searching and lingering kiss. I hadn't wanted it to end. It had left me breathless, but I had eventually pulled away. She had moved with me slightly and then stood there for a while, her eyes closed, as if she were missing my lips on hers. I had run my thumb over her lower lip and her eyes had opened.

"Like I said, I think you should move SG teams. Then there's fewer regulations in the way."

She'd nodded as she had looked up at me and I swear that my eyes showed every emotion that I was feeling. "And another thing," I had added. "You have nothing to be jealous of." She had nodded before kissing me again.

And that was three days, three hours, thirty-eight minutes and eighteen seconds ago. Now I'm glad that I took that step and started our relationship, but I wish she could still be on SG-1. Taylor did not replace her in fact I haven't seen Taylor for at least three days and five hours, since before I went to see Sam.

I wouldn't change anything though and if I had the choice between our relationship and the little things we share, I would pick the relationship every time.

Enough talk from me, I gotta go. I have a date with a certain Major Samantha Carter, second in command of the new SG-11.



~*~*~*~

The end.