samandjack.net

Story Notes: Between Love and Duty X: E-Mail: kelly.mullins@verizon.net

Web: http://www.geocities.com/musicgrl72/kellyf.html

Spoilers: All small- Nox, and just know about the Tollan, Tok'ra and Asgard.

Sequel: This is the Sequel to 'What Do I Have to Do?', 'Put Your Arms Around Me', 'I Want You', 'Sweetest Day', 'Fear', 'Nice', 'Walk On', 'Be A Man', and 'Everything's Gonna Be All Right'.

Disclaimer: I can promise you I don't own SG-1 or anything by 3 Doors Down

Authors Notes: Song is Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down. I know that I said that the last one would be the actual *last one* but were you really satisfied with that?

Thank You: Anyone who sent feedback


*I took a walk around the world to

ease my troubled mind

I left my body lying somewhere

in the sands of time

I watched the world float to the dark

side of the moon

I feel there is nothing I can do.*

I can tell now that sleeping is going to be pretty damn near impossible. So I kissed her... I've done it thousands of times before, and yeah this one was pretty good, but come on it was kind of a let down, I was expecting to do it and then for her to slug me or something. And ya know what, I would have deserved it too... who knows, maybe she was planning on slugging me one, but I guess we'll never know considering both of us were beamed up to our ships only milli-seconds later.

*I watched the world float to the

dark side of the moon

After all I knew it had to be something

to do with you

I really don't mind what happens now and then

As long as you'll be my friend at the end*

Things in our neck of the galaxy are getting pretty bad, Daniel and Sam once told me about a pit-stop they made in a 'bad neighbourhood' and from what they said I think Earth has moved into the slums... or the slums have moved to Earth. The planet is constantly being approached by errant Goa'uld in search of an easy conquer. They're a very opportunistic race, since the demise of the Asgard became common knowledge all of the planets under their protection have been under constant attack, usually it's from Goa'uld with few or no Jaffa and we can knock them out in one strike... but then you get the little engines that could and they just keep coming back for more and we keep coming back for more, mamma said there'll be days like this, I just hope they won't last much longer though because I've got quite a lot of things to clear up with Carter.

*If I go crazy then will you still

call me Superman

If I'm alive and well, will you be

there holding my hand

I'll keep you be my side with

my superhuman might

Kryptonite*

It's been two weeks since I've seen Carter, all at once everything changed... all of those little unimportant Goa'uld banded together and then decided to attack various planets throughout Earth's galaxy and Asgard galaxy (I'M not even gonna try and pronounce it). I was left with no choice but to send Carter and Daniel and Teal'c all off on their own, even with the Tok'ra joining the effort with their own ships and the ones the remaining Asgards were putting out as fast as they could, Earth still took a pretty good beating from orbit. Thankfully everyone in the various Earth governments decided to get along for once and the Russians told their people that the Americans were firing at them and the US told their people the Russians were firing at them... the other governments of the world starting telling yarns in the same fashion, it's good to know that the poorer the Goa'uld the less Death Gliders they have... in the case of Earth there were no death gliders attacking. And I was there, in the middle of it all, commanding the ever-growing Asgard-Earth-Tok'ra fleet.

*You called me strong, you called me weak,

but still your secrets I will keep

You took for granted all the times I've

never let you down

You stumbled in and bumped your head, if

not for me then you'd be dead

I picked you up and put you back

on solid ground*

Today 'the Carter' was nearly destroyed when she somehow got herself surrounded by four Goa'uld ships. I almost had a heart attack, 'the Thor' was pretty far away when we received her distress call, you've never seen scary until you've seen a holographic Sam ducking and wavering as the Goa'uld fired on her ship. Somehow, whether it be an act of God (*the* God) or my constant urging of my Asgard crew, we were able to get there in time to scare away the baddies and save the day. Unfortunately we weren't allowed the luxury of even seeing each other in person as we soon had to rush off to another corner of the Galaxy to save Daniel's butt, seems ganging up is becoming a popular past-time of the Goa'uld.

*If I go crazy then will you still

call me Superman

If I'm alive and well, will you be

there holding my hand

I'll keep you by my side with my

superhuman might

Kryptonite*

Another month straight since I last saw any other member of SG-1, we're actually so far out of range that we're having to go through intermediaries on the Asgard home world to relay our messages through their more powerful transmitters. It's getting frustrating... so far we've lost three ships, all Tok'ra of Goa'uld design, but they were not all piloted by Tok'ra, some of the Asgard, while not being able to touch their own technology, can fly a Goa'uld ship like an expert. And I hate to say it but right now we need to keep all the Asgard alive that we can, their numbers are getting a little too low for my tastes, these little guys certainly have developed a knack for getting themselves bumped off.

*If I go crazy then will you still

call me Superman

If I'm alive and well, will you be

there holding my hand

I'll keep you by my side with my

superhuman might

Kryptonite*

I finally get to see Carter today. We've holding a covert meeting of the Asgard-Earth-Tok'ra-Tollan-Nox alliance in some of those cool Tok'ra tunnels. Seems that the Nox are starting to take an interest in us, they're happy about our teamwork, but they still don't want to take an active role in the fighting- that doesn't mean that they're not willing to give our alliance some suggestions though. The Tollan were one of the most important members of our alliance, they not only have good defences but they also have some pretty awesome ships. Thankfully I am the Commander of our collective fleet and I was able to assign Narim to Daniel's quadrant of our protective area way far away from Sammie.

"Sam, care to come aboard my ship?" I ask her as we head out of the Tok'ra council chambers.

"Sure... sure." She says with a timid smile before giving her father a quick nod and coming back to me again, as soon as the Tok'ra joined us I made sure Jacob was in Sam's quadrant, and while he is higher ranking than her in the US Air Force she is still his commander, and I think they're both enjoying this role reversal.

"So..." She says as we're beamed on-board 'the Thor'. "Wow... this is...big!" She exclaims and I smile.

"That's right, you've never been on my ship before have you?"

"No Sir, I've never been on 'the Jackson' or 'the Teal'c' before either."

"Man this war sucks, we can't even show off our cool ships to each other." She gives a small giggle before straightening up as I lead her to my quarters.

"We're not going to be eating Asgard food are we? That's all we had to eat on my ship for weeks until I was able to find someone to reprogram our food processors."

"Nah, I'm the Commander of the Asgard fleet, remember? I get what ever I want." And with that dinner began.

*If I go crazy then will you still

call me Superman

If I'm alive and well, will you be

there holding my hand

I'll keep you by my side with my

superhuman might

Kryptonite*

"I'm sorry Sam, I really really am." I say as I finish my confession of what the Government asked me to do and what I followed through with.

"I don't get it, you decided to start following orders 'after' you left the Air Force?"

"Well technically I was recalled, so I was a Colonel with all the bells and whistles again."

"But you still could have told me, we could have worked something out, we could have lied- we've done it before. You didn't have to make up a story about another woman to break my heart. Jack, I don't know if I'll be able to get past this."

"Listen Sam, three months ago I made one of the stupidest decisions of my life, I went along with a hair-brained scheme to get us both back into the Air Force, and in the process I not only hurt you but I also hurt myself, and let me just say that while I know my feelings are nowhere near as important as yours, I still miss you. I love you Sam, and I just wish that I could hold you every night and kiss you every morning and make love with you whenever we want... but if I hadn't made this decision this damn war still would have happened only Earth would have been destroyed, probably us along with it." She looks at me for a moment before standing and walking to tower over me, and then she slugs me.

*If I go crazy then will you still

call me Superman

If I'm alive and well, will you be

there holding my hand

I'll keep you by my side with my

superhuman might

Kryptonite*

"Dammit Jack! Don't you *ever* do that again!" She says before grabbing my hand and pulling me up next to her. "I'm just guessing that we're going to disobey orders solely on the basis that we're more powerful than the ones issuing those orders." She states.

"No," I answer taking her face in my hands. "We're going to do it because they never had the right to ask us to follow those orders in the first place." My face hurts, and I know that I'll have one hell of a bruise in the morning, but tonight I've got Sam, and I've also got the knowledge that on this journey we've got each other's backs for good.

END



End Notes: ...and this time I really really hope that's true.