samandjack.net

Story Notes: Archive: SJD, yes

AUTHOR'S NOTES: After reading an email by Michelle B today where the title was mentioned, the thing just sprang into my mind. I wasn't intending to write anything, but it just happened. I'm brand new to the list, and this is my very first complete piece of FanFic. Feedback extremely welcome! :)


He lay there in the darkness watching her as she sat by the fire. Soon it would be time for his watch. He had been sleeping. But after years in special operations, all he had to do was set his body for a certain amount of sleep and it was like an alarm. So when the change of watch was from her, he always set the alarm early. It gave him time to just look at her. Something he couldn't do normally, at least not really. He couldn't let himself. They had to remain aloof. There were regulations. He sighed.

The flames gave her hair a reddish look. Her eyes were dark as it was night, but the sparks from the fire danced in them. She was beautiful. She turned her head to look at him. She knew he had been watching her. She always knew. She looked directly into his eyes and smiled. That special smile. The one that was only for him. A precious moment in time.

There were other moments. When the sun made a halo of her ruffled blonde hair. When the light from the 'gate shone in her eyes. When she's aware of nothing else except what she's working on in her lab. When she explains a scientific theory that is beyond him. When she strips down a P-90 in under 30 seconds. When she scored higher than him at the target range. When she trusts him implicitly. When she saves the world. When she smiles. When she's simply her.

They were just moments. A fleeting instant. But they were enough. Enough for him to keep going until things changed, and he no longer had to pretend the feelings weren't there.

She got up and quietly came over. "Time for your watch, Colonel."

"Thanks Carter. Sleep well."

"I will. You'll be watching over me. Night, sir." She smiled again. Another moment.

He got up and poked at the fire. She lay down on her bed roll and closed her eyes, a peaceful expression on her face. He sighed again. He loved her more than he could bear. He longed for when he would be able to tell her that and not care about the repercussions. But until then he had the precious moments to remember and keep him going. Moments of adoration.