samandjack.net

Story Notes: ARCHIVE: SJA, yes

AUTHOR'S NOTES: 28-Mar-2003 The next in my "Moments" series of fic. They're going alphabetically in case you hadn't guessed. :)

Feedback greatly appreciated.


His body was still cold from the journey through the Stargate. He vaguely heard the klaxons blaring in the background as he collapsed onto the ramp. Somewhere he thought that he heard someone calling for a medical team. His vision swam. Darkness crept towards him, threatening to blot out everything. He resisted, because through it all one voice was heard clearly, as though it was the only one that mattered. Perhaps because it was.

"Colonel!" The voice was urgent.

"Colonel! Hang in there sir. We'll get you to the infirmary soon."

Hands lifted weight from his body. What was he carrying? Why was it so heavy? More hands picked him up and placed him on something much softer than the hard metal of the ramp. Someone spoke. He didn't understand. Lights flashed above him. Was he moving? Then he heard the other voice. The one that mattered.

"Colonel! You have to hang on. Please!"

A hand held his, and he felt warmth and life flow through it. He slowly moved his head and tried to see. Everything was blurred. Nothing seemed real. Except for one thing. Blonde hair. Wonderful blue eyes. Concern etched in her face. Crystal clear against the darkening background. He tried to smile, but couldn't. He weakly pressed the hand holding his. She felt it. She smiled.

In that moment he knew that everything would be fine. Always. Not that things would be easy. They wouldn't. But the moment would keep him alive, keep him going. A moment in the raging storms of life. She smiled again. A moment of comfort.

~end~



End Notes: Thanks for reading. I'm always looking for ways to improve my writing. Please let me know what you think!