samandjack.net

Story Notes: Spoilers: None

Archive: SJD, Heliopolis, yes please

AUTHOR'S NOTES: This one is not only based on an idea from Allie, she also helped with some of Sam's views of Jack that I simply couldn't come up with on my own, as well as doing her usual wonderful job with the beta! Ta so *very* much!! Next in the "Moments" series, the first from Sam's POV. Who says she can't have moments of adoration for Jack??


She watched him carefully, not making her interest too obvious, as he considered their current situation. Despite the fact that he often pretended to be dense, she knew that there was far more to him than met the eye. His mind was shrewd; the apparent lack of comprehension merely a façade. He was in his element when someone was underestimating him, and was more than capable of making tough calls in difficult situations.

His eyes, dark and wary, or sparkling with humour, never missed a detail, and he quickly integrated his team's input with his own astutely made observations. In an instant his decision would be made, and he would lead them through what followed.

He knew when an attack would work best, when a feint would confuse their attacker, when the defence should be stubborn, and when withdrawal was necessary. Yet he also understood his limits, and when faith in his team was vital. She loved that he could defer to her, and that he trusted her implicitly.

He took the responsibility for their actions, not shirking any repercussions. It was his team, and if the situation changed for the worse, he would be the one to take the fall. He would see things through, wherever they might lead; and she knew that whatever happened, he would never leave her behind, no matter what the cost to himself.

He had made his decision and was moving; acting immediately to follow the course he had chosen. She delighted in the way that she could follow his thoughts, and cherished the moments of observing him while he concentrated -- that small frown upon his brow, his thoughts turned inward, revealing nothing, yet telling her everything.

He was making his way back towards her now, bringing with him what was necessary for the next step upon the path he had chosen for them.

"I got you the blue jello, Carter."

He grinned at her, and she smiled in return, the smile that only he brought to her face. It was a break in the walls that they kept between them, a moment where, for an instant, they could let their true feelings show. A moment of delight; a moment of decision.



~end~



End Notes: Thanks for reading. I'm always looking for ways to improve my writing. Please let me know what you think!

Copyright (C) 2003 Robert Holland - rob@chiroho.net