samandjack.net

Story Notes: Moments: Email: su_freund@ficwithfins.com

Website: http://www.ficwithfins.com/

Content Warnings: Use of mild language

Season: 8

Spoilers: Threads

Sequel/Series Info: Sequel / companion to Settling, which should probably be read first. Drabble series of POVs based on a moment from an episode

Status: Complete

Archive: My site, Jackfic, SJD

Author's Note: Called a drabble ficlet because each individual paragraph is 100 words long. This series is not necessarily written or appearing in episode order so does not follow a particular sequence - except my whim in writing them.


Moments: Settling.Coda

I'm glad he's there with you, sweetheart, because I'm you leaving soon. It's time. You look pretty good together sitting up there, his arm around you, holding you close, you holding his hand. I wish you could see yourself. You know he'll always be there for you, don't you Sam? I so want that for you. Looks like maybe I can leave this life a contented man, after all. Looks like I'm gonna get what I wanted, even if I won't live to see it. Selmak would be pleased; won't live to see it either. We go together. It's fitting.

Way to go, Jack! Don't let her go now; hold on to her tight and take care of her for me. I know you will if she'll let you. Sam, you have to let him. Let him into your life, into your heart. He's there already, I know, buried way deep, so much a part of you that I'm not sure you even realise it. He does though; I can sense that. I wish I could have heard what you said to each other up there. Even my old dying eyes can see that it meant something big; a change.

That's got to be good, right? Change. It keeps us on our toes, bringing us sorrow and pain, but also happiness and love. I hope you won't mourn for me too much, Sammie. You'd kill me if I called you that out loud. Ever since your mom died you thought you had to be the adult: the strong, stoic soldier, and tried to grow up too soon. It didn't work, but you sure have grown up now. Looks like you might move up another level sometime soon. That makes me happy, although I wish I could stick around for longer.

I can't though, Sammie. I'm gonna have to go. I don't like to break up the party but if you don't get your butt down here soon I won't get to say goodbye. I need to tell you I love you. I need to tell you lots of things. I wish I had more time. It's too late now, you're on your own from here on in. But you won't really be alone anymore, Sam, or lonely. He'll be right there by your side; I'm sure of it. So don't mourn for me. Get on with your life. Live it!

Jack will be like the cat who got the cream. He'll cherish you and make you feel good about yourself. He deserves some happiness, just as much as you do. He's sacrificed so much; too much. He almost sacrificed you and that price was way too high, for both of you. I wish I wasn't leaving you Sam, I so want to stay, but at least I know I'm leaving you in very capable hands. I couldn't wish for better. You look pretty good together. It looks like you aren't just settling after all. I'm glad. Now come say goodbye.

The End