samandjack.net

Story Notes: SPOILERS: Nemesis, Out of mind.

SEASON: After season three.

ARCHIVE: SJA and Heliopolis, others just ask.

NOTES: This is going to be a sequel, I think. Or I could just leave you guys here? Don't panic, I'm not that cruel. As normal, I love feedback. / / indicates thoughts.


"Anything you'd like to add Colonel?"

"Well sir, in my carefully measured opinion, I think that Daniel's rocks aside, the only thing that P1X 512 has to offer is a chance to top up the tan. So by all means have Daniel go back with SG-6 to dig around some more, I don't think that even Daniel will get into any trouble there"

"Opinion noted" interrupted the smiling General noting the roll of Daniel's eyes and Jack's answering smirk.

"Very well, Dr Jackson you are cleared to return to the planet, SG-6 leave at 1300 hrs. So the rest of SG-1, you are now on stand down for 48. See you on Monday. Have a good weekend."

With that, everyone stood as the General left with a rather excited archaeologist hot on his heels. Jack shook his head and smiled at the way Daniel's face had lit up when they had found the abandoned temple, something about it being Aztec. He couldn't imagine anything more boring than digging dirt for a weekend, but Daniel; well he did get excited about those things. Now, his weekend plans, they really did give rise to excitement.

"Sir?" Sam queried. She had noticed the smile that had crept on his face, but then she always noticed the change in his expression, probably because she was nearly always watching him. "What's so funny?"

"Oh nothing Major. Just thinking about how excited you science types get over stuff that the rest of us normal people find boring. I mean look at you when you got that naquada reactor and how our little archaeologist revved up when he knew he could got dig through dirt for the weekend"

"But is that not both Major Carter and Daniel Jackson's chosen profession and area of expertise O'Neill?"

One of these days he was really gonna have to explain the idea of sarcasm and the fun you can have by winding up a certain Major.

"Yes Teal'c it is but I was going to have a bit of fun at the Major's expense. Never mind"

"Well Sir, what amazingly exciting thing do you have planned for the weekend, or are you just gonna sit at home and play yourself a chess again?"

She loved this type of banter with him, there wasn't many CO's who would let their subordinate officers say the stuff she said to him and get away with it. But then again, it wasn't the most formal of relationships was it? /Formal enough to stop you telling him though/ her conscience reminded her.

"Oh, I'm gonna being doing something that *really* gets the blood pumping and the adrenaline rushing"

Not immune to the look in his eyes or the innuendo in his voice, Sam couldn't hold back the smile.

"Really? And what would that be Colonel, or is it classified?"

He loved this. He had finally found someone who was not put off by either his sarcasm or his sometimes-blunt manner. In fact he had found his equal, she gave as good as she got and had never once been intimidated by him, regardless of whether they were flirting or debating a strategy in the field. Oh and that smile had quite a lot to do with it too.

"Well Carter, since you *did* ask, how about you join me? It's fun alone but I happen to think that it's even better with two!" His eyebrows lifted suggestively and his lips curved into a wicked smile. A smile that sent a certain Majors stomach into somersaults. She answered his grin with one of her own dazzling smiles. Teal'c however did not understand the sudden rise in tension in the room.

"Of what are you speaking O'Neill?"

Trust Teal'c to suck the fun right out of this, just as there was about to be some blatant and impressive flirting happening.

"I'm talking about parachute jumping Teal'c, I have to keep my hours up and I thought this weekend would be perfect to catch up."

"Woah, Sir. Let me get this right, you have just invited me to throw myself out a plane with only a little bag strapped to my back standing between me and my maker?" The look of sheer panic that crossed her beautiful face elicited another cheeky grin.

"Not *exactly* Major. Seeing as how you're not jump trained there would be something more substantial between you and your maker. Me" Her face went from panic to, to what? He couldn't quite place the emotion, but as she tried to understand the meaning behind his words her brow knitted in the same way it did when she was trying to explain her scientific stuff to him. He liked that look.

"It's called a buddy jump Carter, you'd be strapped to me and I would be in control. The only thing you would have to do is trust me and enjoy the view" He knew the trust part of the equation wouldn't be a problem, but he could tell she was trying to think of a plausible excuse without loosing too much pride.

"O'Neill, I do no think you are in a position to make fun of either Major Carter or Daniel Jackson. You're chosen pastime is by far the less relevant. I will remain here to discuss more important matters with General Hammond"

Jack would have swore black was white that Teal'c had just made another joke and had indeed understood the concept of sarcasm. Well, the master must repay the compliment.

"Teal'c I hate to break it to you buddy, but the X-Files, although great TV, is not exactly a national issue!"

The Jaffa nodded, and with what could have been mistaken for a smile on his face, he left the room.

"Well Carter, how about it? I can assure you it's more fun than arm wrestling. Or is it too tough for you?"

Logic told her that he was goading her, but she'd be damned if she'd give him any more ammunition to use, the arm wrestling thing had fed him enough to last him for the past three years.

"No way Sir, what time do we leave?" / oh, god *what* have I just let myself in for? /

As she turned to face him once more, the look of approval and pride she saw in his eyes dissipated the after effects of the brief moment of insanity that had just gripped her. What that insanity was replaced with was not something that she wanted to put a name to, now that *was* dangerous.

"Way to go Carter!" He was positively beaming and his confidence in her was contagious. "I'll have to give you a little instruction before we do it, so what say I meet you in the gym tomorrow morning and we can jump in the afternoon?"

"Not a problem Sir. I'll see you then" His confidence really had rubbed off on her.

As she watched him saunter down the corridor, she was shocked to realise that a part of her was actually looking forward to doing this. Although the thought of being strapped so tightly to the front of Jack for even a few minutes was enough to make anything worthwhile.

By the time Jack reached his quarters he was debating with himself the logic of what he had just done.

/Have you completely lost it?/ His inner voice of reason taunted /You are going to put yourself in a position where your adrenaline is already sky rocketing and now your going to do it with the object of every fantasy strapped *very* tightly to your *front*. Oh well done, very well done! How you gonna get away with that, huh? Smart guy!/

Jack brutally squashed the annoying reminder of his 'fragility' where a certain major was concerned. He could handle it. Yes, he felt some rather unmilitary feelings for her, but he didn't care. It was worth it. To have her so close to him, for however brief a moment was worth just about anything.



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ^*^

Next Morning: 9am



"You've agreed to do *what*?" cried an incredulous Janet down the phone line.

"I know, believe me I know. I honestly don't know why I said I'd do it…"

"Sam, who are you trying to kid, me or you? We both know why you said you'd do it and it has absolutely nothing to do with proving to your Colonel that you can handle everything he can. Nor does it have anything to do with you wanting to be 'one of the guys', because we both know that's the last way you want *him* to see you! The rest of the base yes, but not him, not anymore."

Janet heard her friend take a breath ready to deny the charges just levelled at her, but continued undaunted.

"You said yes because by doing this you get to be closer to Jack than ever, physically and emotionally. Why don't you just admit it Sam?"

"Admit what Janet, that I have fallen in love with my CO. The only thing that would achieve is a court-martial and I'd get myself kicked off the Stargate programme altogether. I won't do that Janet, especially knowing that he doesn't feel the same. It just isn't worth the risk. Anyway, I got to go, he'll be waiting in the gym"

"Ok, just remember if you need me, you know where I am for both medical and non-medical emergencies! Have Fun"

The sarcasm lacing Janet's last sentence reminded her of Jack and when he'd invited her to go fishing, 'by all means, have fun'. Man *that* had flustered her. She still couldn't make up her mind if she was thankful to Thor or not!"

/God, I *so* have to stop doing that! / Letting every thought or action remind her of something Jack had said or done was not going to make this any easier. As she wandered down to the gym she let her mind revisit the conversation she'd just had. All night she'd told herself that she had only said yes to prove she could handle anything he threw at her, but Janet knew her better than that. Deep down, she knew it herself. The reason behind her acceptance was that she wanted to see more of those glimpses into Jack that he occasionally let others see. Images of the man, not the soldier, the personality not the military mask.

She was still lost in her thoughts as she entered the gym, but she was quickly removed from them by a *very* bouncy Colonel O'Neill.

"Good morning Major, are we ready to learn how to jump out of a plane *and* land in one piece?" He grinned a grin that screamed 'Yee-ha!' He looked like a kid at Christmas and that expression made him look somehow younger, less battle hardened – less military. She liked it, a lot.

"Sir, I've been thinking"

"Carter. How many times have I told you that you think too much" he interrupted with a look in his eyes that just dared her to back out.

"I just want to know how many times you've done this *without* getting hurt." She watched as his face broke back out in that ear to ear grin. "I mean the only time I know about resulted in you fracturing your skull and breaking numerous bones when your chute didn't open over Iraq. Logically I know that probability is on my side, but…"

"Relax Major, All's you have to do is trust me. You'll be safe. I promise."

Not for one second had she ever doubted that. From the first mission with him she knew that there was no other place on the face of the earth (or off it for that matter) that made her feel securer than when she was with him.

He looked at her beautiful blue eyes, he could tell she was winning her internal battle. Man, she had guts. He knew *many* hairy-assed soldiers who quaked with fear at the thought of jumping out of an aircraft at 15,000ft. But he knew Sam; he knew how she would feel once she had done it, the euphoria it brought in the wake of the adrenaline rush. He felt the same thing every time he jumped and he wanted her to feel it too. He wanted her to share this with him (actually there was a *lot* more he wanted to share with her, but this was a start).

He chuckled to himself as part of his conscience scolded him and the tactics he had mercilessly exploited to get her to do this. He'd hit her in a way he knew would get the result he wanted. First insult her pride and then use the fact that the trust between them was implicit. He wasn't the brightest guy in the universe where quantum physics was concerned, but when it came to reading people and tactics, he knew he had the distinct advantage. *Especially* with this person!



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ^*^



For the next few hours they worked steadily. He showed her how to land; explained in specific detail about the chute and how they'd be strapped together (that particular explanation had raised the temperature in the room by a good few degrees). He carried on by outlining the position she would have to be in during free fall and the change in position when he'd pull the ripcord.

She listened to everything, asking him questions about the parts she was a little wary about. He knew she was taking everything in, but what he really enjoyed was the realisation that she had actually started to get excited at the prospect. That was just what he'd expected from her. Underneath the logical, clinical Sam was a woman just as headstrong and gung-ho as he was. He'd seen small unguarded moments of her like that, and he desperately wanted to see it more often. She was a study of contrasts, on one hand you have the amazing intelligence and logistical side, but on the other you had the soldier, the 'stand up and fight' guts. That combination made her so exquisite. He loved both sides, but then again, he just loved *her* Soldier and scientist.

While she watched him, two things struck her at once. He really knew what he was doing and he enjoyed doing it. All the training he'd had, all the times he'd risked his life awed her. She'd only done this for a few years, he'd done this for a whole lot longer, but he never resented it. The type of man he was, he needed to be actively involved in his world, he was so strong, physically and mentally. Years of black ops had not left him twisted like some of the lunatic fringe she knew.

She also had to acknowledge that he was a very good teacher. In the last two hours he'd made her go from fear and panic to excitement. And it wasn't all due to the way her stomach somersaulted when he'd explained how they'd be strapped together; spooned in a harness, tightly. His enthusiasm had infected her; she fell ever deeper as she saw the excitement that gripped him as he took her through this afternoon's jump.

"Oh, yeah Sam, one last piece of advice. Call me Jack"

With *that* look in his chocolate eyes, she'd call him anything he wanted!

"Yes Sir, Jack"

His smiled lengthened even more. "Well then, I think it's time we got a move on. Plane takes off at 1400"



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ^*^



He'd watched her as they had driven to the airfield; the subtle hint of nervousness had coloured the excitement in her eyes. She'd remember this day for a long time, but then again so would he? He didn't realise how prophetic a statement that was.

He waited for her to change into the jump suit, when she emerged his breath caught and his adrenaline took a premature hike in circulation and his confidence in his own ability to mask his feelings while they were strapped together so intimately took a sharp nosedive. Boy was he glad that her normal combat gear wasn't quite so figure hugging, he'd never get anything done.

She was getting nervous again, but this time it wasn't so much to do with the jump itself. The morning's preparation had settled any fears she'd had; she was already feeling the adrenaline begin to kick in. No, her nerves now where due to the realisation that she was going to be put in a position of serious intimacy with the guy she'd been fantasising about for a long, long time. *That* was more scary than anything else! Plus, it didn't help that he looked so good in his black all-in-one, helmet in one hand, chute in the other and sunglasses on his smiling face.

"Ready to go Sam? Not gonna back out now are we?"

"Not a chance in Hell Jack, lets do it."

His answering smile gave her courage a kick and her heart a flip. This was gonna be something else!

As they boarded the plane, they put their individual harnesses, then helmets, then goggles, both delaying the final contact for as long as possible. However, the time came that no more delays were possible. Neither spoke, neither knew what to say.

He moved slowly behind her back, and placed one arm around her waist drawing her tightly to him. Both missed the sharp intake of breath in the other as both where too busy trying to control the sensations sweeping through them. As he adjusted the buddy straps to a snug but secure fit, he thought he was going to have a heart attack his pulse and breathing where so erratic. He was having a hard time concentrating on the voice of the pilot as his front came into such close contact with her back. The last time they'd been like this, even with a group of angry Jaffa trying to find them he'd had a hard enough time letting her go. What the hell was he going to do now?

As he fought to control more than just his breathing, he felt her finally relax against him. He'd put her initial reaction to the contact down to her nerves; little did he know that her reaction was identical to his. /Jeez Sam, what are you trying to do to me? / This was going to be a whole lot tougher than he first thought.

She could hear the pilot telling Jack height of the plane, wind direction and speed and other technical information, but her only thoughts where on the sensations running through her body, of having him so close. This was indeed something to be remembered.

Just as she was losing herself in the feel of him, he pulled her up.

"Time to go." He shouted above the engine noise. "You OK to go?" She nodded, her mind lethargic. He pulled her goggles over her eyes "Sam, you're fantastic" She could have sworn she'd felt him brush his lips over her cheek, but she couldn't be sure, either way her stomach began a series of manoeuvres that left her feeling, what?

She wasn't given the chance to analyse them, Jack walked her to the now open side of the plane, giving her the thumbs up sign, she returned it and before she knew it she was hurtling through the sky. She felt the exhilaration kick in, her scream was not of fear but of pure unadulterated amazement. She felt phenomenal, she placed her arms in the position she'd been taught and enjoyed every single second of their free fall. She was experiencing such a myriad of sensations, the wind resistance due to their fall, the pressure of Jack at her back, his legs tangling with hers as the force of the resistance pushed them together. The adrenaline due to both the experience and the feel of the man she was strapped to. Incredible.

Before she realised she felt him squeeze her waist, the pre-arranged signal to ready herself for the chute deployment. What she didn't know was that the normal signal was another thumbs up. Jack had taken just a little advantage of her lack of knowledge, /so sue me/

The next thing she knew, she was being pulled upwards at a rate of knots that left her almost dizzy, and then all of a sudden everything slowed down. She was now falling with an almost grace that felt divine. She sucked in a breath of wonder and took time to take in the views presenting themselves to her.

"Cool huh?" For the first time since leaving the plane their velocity had slowed enough to allow him to speak. She felt his breath warm on her air-cooled cheek, causing an involuntary shiver to run down her spine. Sam tried to turn her head as far as she could, his arms extended slightly above them controlling the direction of the chute. She had no words, but the look in her eyes communicated everything she was feeling.

He felt her shiver, once more he put it down to the rush of adrenaline, but when she looked at him, he saw something that he was totally unprepared for. He gave an answering shiver of his own. He brutally crushed his current train of thought. No he'd read her eyes wrongly. It was just adrenaline /really/.

Before either wanted, the ground came up on them. Their landing was bumpy but virtually perfect, he slowed the chute and they both executed their drop and roll perfectly. It took them both a few seconds to bring themselves upright, neither wanting to break the delicious contact they had enjoyed for too brief a time.

Finally, he reached between them and undid the clasps and ties. He took a step back to look at her, as he expected the sight that greeted him nearly sent him to his knees. Her hair delightfully ruffled, her cheeks glossy, her smile wide and bright with exhilaration, and her eyes /WOW/ they shone brightly with the light of amazement and the thrill. He smiled into her them, unknowingly expressing a deeply hidden emotion.

"What about that then Sam? How sweet was that?"

"Oh Jack, it was the single most amazing experience of my life, thank you so much."

With that she closed the gap between them and pressed her lips to his, the action renewing the previous levels of adrenaline. Suddenly realising what she had done, she stepped back, her embarrassment blatant, she lowered her eyes to her boots.

/Oh no you don't, not after that. / He acted quickly so as to not give his conscience the chance to raise its annoying little head. He stepped to her, pulling her chin up to meet his gaze. "Not good enough Sam, let me show you how it's done"

With that he claimed her lips in a kiss that was more powerful and profound than any of her imaginings. Both lost themselves in the new sensations engulfing them, relishing the feel of the other, needing it.

He made himself pull away. "Ok, I think we need to talk about this. This is too important to risk."

She nodded, he was right. Now was not the time to discuss this, they were both too pumped up from both the jump and now the kiss. They had to have a clear head.

"Sam, it's not that I don't want this or you. I just want to make sure we do it right. I'm not going to lose you because I couldn't control myself (seeing her look) ok, we couldn't control ourselves."

Once more she nodded, surprised that he was being the logical one, but knowing he was right, so many things had to be done and said. But there was one thing that he had to hear now.

"Jack, I was wrong. The jump isn't the single most exciting experience of my life. You and that kiss are" She smiled into his eyes.

"Well stick around sweetheart, the ride has only just begun"

Neither could resist the temptation and both fell into another drugging kiss. Later, there would always be later. But for now, well no words where needed.



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ^*^^



Sam studied her reflection in the mirror. It had been one Hell of an afternoon. Not only had she jumped out of an aeroplane but also as if that wasn't enough, she had kissed her CO! An act that although unbelievably insane could have easily been put down to the adrenaline, excitement and exhilaration she had felt. Well it *could* have been if Jack hadn't stepped up and kissed her right back.

She was still having a hard time with the fact that he felt more for her than just friendship, not that the fact distressed her, god no; she was over the moon. It seemed like all her wildest dreams had come true that afternoon. Their kiss had been electrifying, made all the more encompassing because of the tension already present in massive doses. She brushed her fingers across her lips replaying in her mind the exquisite sensations he had evoked with just one kiss.

Neither had been satisfied by the events of the afternoon, but Jack had been the one who controlled his thoughts and feelings first. It shouldn't have surprised her as much as it had. I mean he had been trained to react logically to the most intense situations. He pointed out that there were such a lot of things that needed to be said and discussed between them. They couldn't just go from a kiss to "happy ever after" in one day. Life isn't a fairytale and they both needed to be sure about the consequences of their behaviour. Past, present and future.

Sam knew she had a lot to ask him, she just hoped she'd have the guts to be honest with him, with both her questions and the answers to his. Suddenly, that jump didn't seem like the scariest thing she'd ever done. This was, tonight. Having dinner with him and 'talking' but she knew that unless they had 'the conversation' they would never be able to reach for the fairy tale.

She picked up her purse and keys and headed out for what she knew would either make or break her.



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ^*^



As Jack placed the final candle on the table, he surveyed his handy work. /Not bad Jack, it looks good! / The table was set with romance in mind, candles, wine; a red rose on her plate. Just because this was going to be a serious time, it didn't mean that he had to let the opportunity slip through his fingers. He had dreamt of seeing Sam over candle light, enjoying a good meal and even better conversation, now was his chance.

He'd told her that afternoon that there was more to his feelings than mere friendship and she had responded in the affirmative. His only problem had been that these things are often more complicated than a kiss. He needed to know so much, things that until now he hadn't had the right to ask. There where certain things niggling at his conscience and before he could lay either of them open to the pain he knew could arise he had to be sure, of her and of himself.

He wished it could have been a fairytale, but it wasn't and he knew how harsh the reality of life could be and he would not hurt her, ever. So he'd taken her home telling her that all questions would be asked and answered that night, now. He was by no stretch of the imagination a coward. He had seen things and done things that even now made him physically sick. But he had never felt as nervous as he did now, but then again, he had never had so much to lose before. Not even Sarah had evoked such intense feelings in him, and that was a bittersweet thought. When he and Sarah had been happy, he had never thought it could get any better. But with Sam, it was. Even now, before anything had been made concrete. Hell he'd only kissed her once – ok twice!

He was roused from his thoughts by a knock at his door. His head made a whiplash turn and his heart began to beat an erratic rhythm. He was brutally trying to compose himself as he opened his door to the woman he loved. It was only as she stepped through into the subtle lighting of the house that he was hit by the impact of how wonderful she looked. At that point all thoughts of composure where long gone. Not even his military training could stop the appreciative wolf whistle form on his lips.

"Sam, are you trying to kill me? You look stunning!"

Her smile removed the traces of nerves from her eyes and with a hint of a grin she almost blushed. As he was quite blatantly taking in every aspect of her, she turned away to look at the table he had set up. Slightly shocked by his obvious romance, she had expected this to be different. How different she didn't know, but she wasn't expecting him to dressed smartly in all black, silhouetted like the "milk tray man". Her own mind began to unknowingly mirror the thoughts flying through Jack's mind at that point. He still had trouble getting his mind to focus past her legs, shoulders and lovely face. /oh boy this is going to be much harder than you thought!/

Sam finally broke the charged atmosphere, "I thought you couldn't cook" she motioned her head towards the table, the flick giving her hair a highlight from the candlelight.

He took her cue. This was getting too intense; they needed to let go of the obvious want in them both, even if just for a while. /We *have* to talk, remember that Jack/

"Well technically, *I* can't, but Rudolpho's make a Tiramisu to die for" His smile was contagious and as he pulled out her chair and she picked up her rose, the atmosphere, although remaining charged, lost the previous nervous energy.

They ate in companionable silence, neither wanting to break the spell with reality. Both willing to hold on to the magic of the moment for a little longer. They shared gazes and smiles and unspoken promises of love, a silent acknowledgement of their feelings passed between them and neither misunderstood or misinterpreted.

When finally 'the conversation' could be delayed no further, both accepted fate and once more in unspoken agreement, left the table and seated themselves in front of the fire, facing their futures.

"So"

"So" replied Sam,

"Look, about this afternoon. Before we get into any of the other stuff, I just want you to know that I was so proud of you, not just for jumping, but for finally facing this 'thing' between us"

"Jack, I didn't plan to, it just kind of happened. But then that's what you had hoped for wasn't it?" She stifled a smile at his expression "you knew that the adrenaline would spark us didn't you?" her accusation was mildly rebuking.

Jack felt his smile widen. He had underestimated her, she knew him and understood him better than he had anticipated.

"I had hoped it would, but I swear my intentions were nothing but honourable. Although I would be lying if I said that I didn't want to get closer to you and to share with you"

"I know, why do you think I said yes?" Both grinned.

"Sam, look, I can't dance round this any longer. I gotta know, and there isn't really a delicate way of phrasing something that has been eating my insides up for such a long time"

/Here it comes, now we get down to business. Please God let this work. I don't think I could handle losing her. /

"What's the deal with you and Martouf?" Now there was a question straight out of the Jack O'Neill manual of straight talking if ever she'd heard one. But rather than shock or intimidate her, she was strangely happy that he could be so honest with her. That was a good sign.

"Jack, I was never sure. I mean I have these feelings for him, and yes they are deep and true and it took me a while to figure out where they belonged in the grand scheme of things."

She paused briefly, hating to witness the look of dark pain that had suddenly clouded his addictive eyes. But she had known this would be difficult, for both him and her. But as he had said, things needed clearing up between them. She knew that in a few moments, she would feel the same gut wrenching jealousy, but it had to be faced. At least they where facing it together, openly and honestly.

"It was difficult for a long time to separate the feelings I was feeling into which where mine and which belonged to Jolinar. I know now that it was Jolinar who loved Martouf, I like him very much, but it's not him I love" reading the unspoken question in his eyes, she almost laughed.

"It's not Narim either Jack. I thought he was wonderful, but he never made me feel the way you do. His kiss was nothing compared to yours. It took me a while to see it, but it is you I love. Only you"

The smile that skimmed across his face was total. His whole face seemed to beam. However, she had questions of her own for him, ones she needed answering just as much as he had.

"I took so long to act on them Jack, not only because of the regulations, but more so because of Sarah and then because of Lara"

He saw her face change, it became sad and lonely. He knew he had hurt her badly when he'd been on Edora, Janet for one had really made him suffer. Daniel and Teal'c hadn't exactly been all forgiving either.

"Sam, listen to me. Firstly, I am so sorry about the way I treated you on Edora. I have no excuse except that my mind couldn't grasp that after finally giving up on you (which in itself was a hard fought battle) you had done the seemingly impossible and had somehow managed to come back for me. But I did try to make it up to you, I tried so hard to give you an idea of how I felt during my little undercover stint with Neuman. Do you remember in the corridor, you asked me if I was ok cause I'd not been acting like myself? I said that I hadn't been since I met you. I hoped that your amazing IQ would have picked up on the innuendo. I know it wasn't much, but it was as much as I could do"

He smiled as he saw the realisation dawn upon her face. He knew that no matter what the outcome tonight or tomorrow, he would always love her and her smiles.

"I never loved Lara, I thought that in time I may have learned to, but my actions where motivated by another source. You have to realise that I thought I had just lost another family, another woman that I loved. Here was this person, giving me a chance to replace that loss quickly, stopping me from realising the full grief that losing you and the guys would have caused. So I took the coward's way out Sam, like I did with Charlie, I locked myself away from the pain, turning my back on something that I had never wanted to feel again. You will never now how much I detested myself for that weakness. How much I still do"

He saw as a tear slid unbidden form her liquid eyes. He felt the same, but crying was something he couldn't do. He understood perfectly the emotions his major was feeling, but he had to carry on. Resisting the urge to pull her into his arms and crush the tears away. He had to wait; she needed and deserved to hear it all.

"Now, as for Sarah. Sam I still love her, I always will. She gave me my son and years of happiness, but" He continued not daring to look at her and see her tears "I 'm not *in* love with her anymore. You have to believe me; the difference is huge. I love you, only you and no inferior imitation will ever be able to match what you do to me, or compete with the feelings you evoke with the simplest glance. I knew the first time you walked into the Abydos briefing that you where special and over the last three years you didn't stop proving that to me. I've been falling in love with you since the moment you challenged me to that arm wrestle."

It suddenly became impossible to resist the temptation to hold her, to feel her in his arms. And as he drew her body close he felt her grip him tightly, afraid to let go in case he disappeared.

"I love you Sam, love me back. Please love me back"

His poignant plea crushed any remaining emotional barriers between them.

"I already do Jack, so much that it hurts"

With that he did what he'd desperately wanted to repeat since that afternoon. Their kiss sent them both to a plane of existence neither had ever experienced before and neither was going to forget or lose with out one hell of a fight. But as they broke their drugging kiss, both knew that one more issue had to be addressed.

"Sam, I have been thinking about this for a while. How about I relinquish SG-1 to your command and stay on world. That would put me out of direct line command with you and may be enough to see us clear of the fraternisation regulations"

"Jack, it wouldn't work. For one you'd still be *a* commanding officer and two, you are needed. SG-1 wouldn't function if either of us left it, besides I don't want to be without you in the field. Yes I could handle it, but I don't want to. Plus, I need to keep you out of trouble!"

"So what alternative do we have? I want to be with you, so much"

" I know, me too. That's why I thought about resigning my commission and becoming a civilian scientist attached to SG-1. That way there would be *no* regulations to break."

He could tell by the look in her eyes that she didn't want to leave the airforce, plus, even without that clue he knew her too well. She was military through and through. What was it she had told the other Samantha about being military "wow, I can't imagine not". He also felt his heart beat quicken as he realised the sacrifice she was prepared to make for him. He didn't think it was possible, but he fell in love with her even more.

"Sam, I don't want you to give so much up for me, I don't think I could live with myself if I let you do that. We need to speak to General Hammond about this. It's the only thing we can't control, but that can wait for now. I can't"

Neither hesitated at the dramatic increase in emotion that surged between them. They had tonight and they had each other. Their final hurdle could wait until tomorrow. For now, they had everything they needed and a weekend they would *never* forget.



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^^*^ *^

Sunday Afternoon.



They stood outside the General's office, both visibly crushed.

They had spent an excruciating hour explaining their feelings to General Hammond, who was not at his happiest. This was a headache he didn't need. Although he could see the blatant and unabashed love on display and even enjoyed the sight, the Airforce would be a completely different matter.

After many phone calls to places where the air is very thin, he replaced the receiver with a resignation. It was official, if either officer conducted a relationship that could be considered non- military; a court martial would be issued. There was no arguing. And now he was watching through his window at his two best officers. The hurt and pain was tangible, even with the glass barrier.

He had offered alternatives, remove Sam from SG-1, and make her a civilian attachment. But Jack had said no with that steel in his eyes and determination lacing his voice that meant there was no chance of changing his mind.

With tears in her eyes, she had unwillingly accepted his argument that if no relationship took place; they could still be together on SG-1. They could still be friends and be able to protect the other. General Hammond could tell that it was probably the most painful thing either had ever had to do, to deny such a powerful and newfound love. But there was little else to be done. Rules where unfortunately rules, whether you agreed with them or not.

To add to the pain of the sight of his officers hugging one last hug, one with tears welling The other with tears streaming, He now had to watch them closely and make a decision as to whether their relationship *had* stopped. There really where times when he hated his job and when the burden of command weighed too heavily.

He turned back to the couple before him, watching once more with a pain in his own heart as they slowly parted, holding hands, then fingers, then finger tips, until the inevitable break occurred. Jack put his head down and turned away, walking quickly and not looking back. Only the tell-tale shake of his shoulders betrayed the emotion within him. She could not move, she just watched him walk away and as soon as he left her sight, she collapsed sobbing against the wall.

Before he could change his mind, Hammond left his office and enveloped his major in a bear hug, trying to ease her pain.

"Don't cry Sam, everything will be ok" He knew how hollow his words sounded. His thoughts turned from the sobbing angel in his arms to the soldier who had just left. He had never seen Jack cry before, he just hoped that wherever he had gone, there where no valuable or breakable objects.

Suddenly, his mind prodded his consciousness. /Maybe, just maybe/



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ^*^*



"SG-1 you have a go for a standard re-con mission of P5X 892"

As the gate swooshed into life, the event horizon forming before them, Sg-1 stepped up the ramp, Colonel Jack O'Neill leading, Teal'c a step behind and Daniel Jackson and Major Carter conspicuously lagging behind the others.

"Come on Sam, it'll be Ok. Teal'c and me will act as a barrier between you two. Besides, I don't think Jack will do anything out of order." Even to his own ears Daniel's attempt to brighten Sam's outlook fell short of the mark. He didn't know what he could say to her. He had been told as soon as he had got back from his dig with SG- 6 what had happened between them over the weekend. He still couldn't believe that they had finally sorted themselves out, only to be crushed by the Airforce and it's damned regulations.

He put his arm on Sam's back as they entered the wormhole. He had never seen her quite so subdued before. He knew how badly she was hurting. He'd spoken to her for hours last night, letting her cry or scream or throw things as and when she needed to. The thing that worried him more was Jack. He had a good idea of how he must be feeling, I mean finding the love of your life and then losing it was familiar territory for this archaeologist. He'd experienced it only once and it had very nearly tore him apart, but Jack had now experienced it twice and the problem was that he was on the same path to self-destruction that he was on when Daniel had first met him.

He had cut himself off from everyone and everything, refusing to speak to anyone unless it concerned his job. He had even blown Teal'c off last night. Daniel knew this wasn't good, it meant two things. One that not only was it ever so slowly killing him but his behaviour now was ever so slowly killing Sam. Jack had slipped into a frame of mind where he had stopped even acknowledging he had feelings for Sam; he had cut her out of his life completely and retreated to a place where she couldn't reach him.

Yes he still spoke to her, but it was careful and measured, it was military. That was what was hurting Sam more than anything else. If he'd had physically hit her he wouldn't have devastated her so badly. Everyone who knew them well could see what this was doing to them, but no one could do anything to help. They where still Colonel and Major, they still communicated well enough to do their jobs, but Jack's actions had already caused the change in the teams dynamic. There was no longer the spontaneous spark of humour, the idle chatter or the mind reading ability. All that had been replaced with a team that was by the book, regulation.

As they stepped through the other side, they where greeted with the all too familiar forest landscape. Only this time, there was no sarcastic comment about how wonderfully green our galaxy was, there was an order. "Let's scout for 10, if we find nothing we head back"

He didn't even look at Sam anymore, he couldn't. He was feeling a pain that he had never ever wanted to revisit again. The damnedable part about it was that it had been his own decision to stay on SG-1 together, rather than split them up. He wanted to be able to keep her safe, but it was that very choice that was now tearing him apart. He knew that she'd be as far behind him as she could get, making sure Daniel and Teal'c stood between them, but he didn't look. He couldn't.

"Daniel, anything interesting?"

"Nope"

"Teal'c any sign that the goa'uld have been here?"

"There is not O'Neill"

"Major, any signs of radio chatter"

"No"

"Right then, home we go"

They all began to retrace their steps. Daniel never thought he'd hate being with his team or ever have a hard time getting along with any of them. But he was. The way their whole attitude to each other had changed was horrible to see, it was all Jack's doing, but he couldn't bring himself to blame him. He realised why and that made the whole thing even more desolate.

He looked back to Sam, her eyes where clouded with unshed tears. He let her catch him up and then slung a reassuring arm around her shoulders. Teal'c noticed the delay and when he turned he too waited for Major Carter and stood by her free side and placed a hand on her shoulder, as if daring *anyone* to hurt her again.

If she hadn't been so upset by Jack's attitude towards her, she would have laughed. Her two bodyguards were such a mismatch, but each one was willing to stand up to anyone or anything to protect her. She let her thoughts dwell; she knew why Jack was behaving like this. It was his way, a man who loved and hated with equal passion, a man who could close himself so completely to stop pain. It was a neat trick while in Special Forces, but here and now it had already cost him his wife and he was letting himself fall into the same trap again. As much as she hated to admit it, she just wasn't strong enough to have him treat her this way, to pretend that she meant nothing more that a 2IC to him.

He glanced over his shoulders as he sensed the altering of patterns. The sight that greeted him seared a pain through him that burned his soul. She was stood surrounded by the two other members of Sg-1 and she was hurting, badly. That realisation hit him harder and wounded him more than he knew how to put into thought. /God Jack, look at what you are doing to her, you're sucking her strength and vibrancy out of her. / He knew it, but he couldn't stop himself. His own pain was too great to be able to help her, as much as he wanted to, he couldn't, yet. Unnoticed by the remainder of his team, he brushed a stray tear from his face. He was in Hell, a deep and dark soul destroying place that he just couldn't emerge from, not again. He thought the last time had nearly killed him, this time hurt even more if that where possible.

"Dial us up Daniel and let's get the Hell out of here"

The symbols where activated, the GDO code sent, they functioned well, but that was all it was, functioning.



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ^*^*



"Welcome home SG-1, anything to report?"

"Nothing General, no evidence of Goa'uld, or any occupants at all. If I may be excused, I'd like to shower"

Hammond merely nodded; he looked to the major and the still protective stance her bodyguards had taken at her sides. He had thought getting them back in the rotation ASAP was the best thing for all concerned. But as he looked to the faces of the remaining members of his best team, he realised just how wrong that assertion had been.

"Dr. Jackson, I'd like to see you for a moment"

With that both left, and Sam smiled weakly up at Teal'c. "Thank you Teal'c, but would you do something for me? Would you go and check the Colonel. I know how he's is feeling and I would rather someone where there if he needs to talk"

The Jaffa nodded "Major Carter, I believe that you are a very exceptional woman" and with that he walked away. Sam momentarily stunned at the sweet compliment made her way to her quarters. At least there he couldn't hurt her.



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ^*^



"Dr. Jackson, I'm afraid I must ask you a delicate question. In your opinion has there been any fraternisation occurring in the relationship between Colonel O'Neill and Major Carter while off world?"

Daniel saw the way the general felt at having to ask that question and decided against a rather disrespectful answer.

"No Sir, in no way whatsoever"

"Very well, has there been any definitive alteration in the dynamic of Sg-1?"

"Yes Sir there most definitely has!" Daniel couldn't hold himself in any longer and as a result his following comments where not the most eloquent her had ever said.

"With all due respect General, but I think this stinks. The Airforce won't let them be together because of the change in the team and the possibility of unfair advancement of her career. Well they have only succeeded in reducing their flagship unit to a merely functional machine. Jack is destroying himself and in the process he is taking her with him. Our team is falling apart around our ears General and the Airforce is standing by and watching it happen. Yes there has been a change in the dynamic and that change is destroying the team"

Just then the phone interrupted them both. Daniel had been in mid- flight and was by no means finished, but the General held up his hand and the archaeologist fell silent.

Hammond listened intently, and finally spoke.

"Yes Sir, I will arrange that ASAP" replacing the receiver, he looked up into the eyes of a man who was about to begin his rich diatribe once again.

"Dr. Jackson, it seems that circumstances have changed somewhat."

Daniel's eyebrows arched questioningly

"I have a message for you to convey to the appropriate parties. And I quote ' There is no logical reason why the command members of the field unit SG-1 should be stopped from conducting a non-military relationship as long as said parties observe a level of etiquette while on duty on or off world" Hammond face cracked into a beaming smile.

"General, with all due respect, what the hell just happened?"

"What happened Dr, Jackson is the last marker I could pull in has just come through. The President has just given his blessing and as such the Joint Chiefs have altered their previous opinion somewhat. Now I trust you will see that this piece of information is delivered to…"

Before he could finish the sentence, Daniel had flew out of the room and was now sprinting down the corridor screaming "Jaaaaaaaaaaacccccccccckkkkkkk!" at the top of his lungs.

Now this was more like it.



*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ *^*



Jack was sat in the locker room, his head in his hands and a Jaffa stood beside him.

"Teal'c why the hell are you *still* standing there, go watch Oprah or something, just leave me alone"

"I will not do that O'Neill, I have been charged with a mission to stay with you. I *will* complete that mission"

"What?"

Before any answer could be given, the door flew wide open almost coming off its hinges.

"Jack, you have to listen to me. It's ok, the president just phoned and General Hammond asked me to tell you it's ok!"

"Daniel, quit running around like that. What are you talking about?"

"Jack. Listen. General Hammond has just received a phone call from the President of the United States" he enunciated slowly, making sure Jack was taking in everything he was saying "He has personally interceded by request from the General and has said that you and Sam can be together. No court-martial, no splitting you up, no kicking her off the…"

"YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS" Jack jumped high, punching the ceiling with delight. When he landed, he hugged his friend tight. Teal'c was also treated to his commanding officer hugging him and laughing and smiling. A real smile, the first they had seen in days.

"I have to go tell Sam. We really *can* be together?"

"Erm, Jack. I don't think it's going to be as simple as that. Yes you really can be together, but…"

"But O'Neill, you have hurt Major Carter badly. If I did not respect you as much as I do, I would have been within my rights to defend *her* by hurting you"

Daniel and Jack turned stunned to the normally stoic Jaffa. His outburst shocking them both.

"I know Teal'c, *believe* me I know. Do you guys think she'll ever forgive me?" Jack's fear was tangible.

In a second phase of shock, now attributable to Jack's unfamiliar lack of decisiveness, Daniel watched as the previous joy on Jacks face was replaced by a genuine fear that he had hurt her too badly to be able to get her back.

Taking pity on his friend's obvious fear and regret Daniel answered.

"I think that we might be able to think of something between us"



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ^*^*



Jack was having difficulty believing that this was real. After the way he had behaved since being told that he and Sam were against regulations, he couldn't comprehend that he had been given a second chance. The only thing he knew for sure was that he didn't deserve one.

A fact that had been brought home to him earlier that day as he had bumped into Janet in the corridor. He had smiled brightly into her eyes, hugging her with an exuberance that would have made her laugh had she not been so annoyed with him. As he raised his eyebrows in an unconscious question to the very "un-Janet-Like" reaction, she turned to him and said with such ferocity "Jack, if you don't do it right *this* time, I will hurt you in ways that not even Black Ops trained you for". With that she had turned on her heel and left him stood speechless. That was not a lady he was going to get on the wrong side of!

The events of this last week had changed so dramatically before his eyes that he was still trying to catch up. He had gone from Heaven to Hell and back again and taken the woman he loved with him. But this morning after their first mission since the 'incident', Daniel had told him that General Hammond had gone over numerous heads and had secured a favour from the President himself!

As he continued with his very important assignment, he remembered back once more to this morning. He had been sat with only Teal'c daring to come near him when Daniel had burst in saying that he could actually be with Sam without fear of court-martial and without either of them losing their membership to SG-1. His initial reaction had been unparalleled joy, but then it was replaced with a deep set fear that he had hurt her too badly with his shameful behaviour, that he'd pushed her so far away that she wouldn't let him win her back. And that thought had wounded him even more.

He remembered how Daniel had helped him formulate the plan he was now carrying out. Man that guy was a real and true friend, he never once judged him, he had just helped him. And for that he owed him a debt that he knew he would never be able to repay.

The plan was set, but the reaction he'd get was something not even he could conspire to guess. Yes, he knew Sam well. But that meant that he knew how deeply he'd hurt her and that meant he wasn't sure if she would ever forgive him or trust him so implicitly ever again. The only choice he had was to bare his soul and give her the choice to either destroy him or to complete them both. It had to be her choice and he had to make her understand everything.



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ^*^



"Sam, where are you?" shouted Daniel, trying to look into her lab. He'd tried to find her in her quarters, but she must have tried to sort her thoughts through and the place she went to do that was always her lab.

"Under here Daniel, I'm just connecting the secondary manifold to the outflow conduit…"

"Sam. As much as I normally love listening to your latest inventions, I think you've been cooped up in here for long enough. I'm taking you out for a drink and I will not take no for an answer"

Sam smiled a weak smile. Daniel had been great since his return. He had been there for her when she needed him most. It's pity he wasn't the one *she* needed the most.

He saw he face cloud over and realised that she was thinking of Jack. This wasn't going to be a picnic for him, but if he wanted her back, he'd have to endure it. The thing was Daniel knew that Jack would go through anything if it meant he'd be able to get her back.

"Get your coat, I'm not leaving without you" Daniel could *really* be quite adamant when he wanted to be. So realising that she wasn't going to win this argument, she grabbed her coat. Maybe a little alcohol could help numb the pain.

Daniel saw the look in her eyes, if her let her drink too much, Jack would kill him.



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ^*^*



"Teal'c, where'd you put the other box of…"

"They are right beside you O'Neill." The Jaffa interrupted. It was strange to see this man so nervous and afraid. He had been proud to stand alongside O'Neill and face many enemies, but never before had he seen him afraid of the outcome. However, he did not quite feel sympathy yet. He had hurt Major Carter and for that he must atone.

"Oh right" As he finished his task, he stood to survey his handiwork, remembering the last time he had planned something like this for Sam. He would sign his soul to the devil if the same outcome would happen tonight.

"Do you think she'll like it?" He asked once more with an uncharacteristic uncertainty masking his voice.

"Yes O'Neill, I believe she will. But I would also not take for granted her reaction. As I have said, you have hurt her deeply. And as I have also said, if you do so again, I will honour my vow and take retribution in Major Carter's name"

Jack wasn't going to argue. He knew too well how much she'd been hurt. He'd seen the look on her face as he walked away from her and he actually thought he'd heard the sound of her heart breaking. No, he would *never* hurt her again. He didn't need Teal'c to tell him that. Some wonderful twist of fate (and a general who had once more proved himself as an officer who did what was right and what was not necessarily the rule) had given him a second chance and he was *not* going to throw it away again.

He glanced around Sam's apartment once more. Ever thankful of the spare key she kept on base for emergencies, well this was an emergency, even the General agreed. In fact the talking to he'd received from Hammond had been worse than any lecture or threat from Janet and Teal'c. If he screwed this one up, it basically wasn't worth him showing his face this side of Colorado Springs again.

His stage was set, now he just had to hope to whatever God was smiling on him that he could do it justice. As Teal'c left, once more re-issuing an unspoken threat, he went into the bathroom to change and wait for Daniel to bring his lady to him.



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ^*^*



"Are you going to come in Daniel, I rented a movie last night" Sam turned to see that Daniel had stayed beside his car.

"Um, no Sam. I think I'll pass. I have some catching up to do with those artefacts I brought back from my dig last weekend." He hadn't intended to remind her of that *particular* weekend, but it was the first excuse he had thought of.

"Oh, Ok. I'll see you tomorrow then" Her voice clearly emphasised the emotion of remembering last weekend, but she was puzzled by Daniel's reticence to come in. All week he hadn't let her out of his sight, never once mentioning work, but now he suddenly had, strange. She waved him goodbye and turned the key to her apartment.

The sight that greeted her stunned every thought from her body. The room was lit entirely by candlelight and there was a trail of rose petals leading her to her dining room. She couldn't formulate any useful thought; her heart was beating too erratically. Her mind felt drugged so the soldier in her took over and made her body follow the trail of velvet red.

As she reached the end of her organic carpet, she looked up and was met with a vision that nearly made her faint. The tumultuous emotions that seared uncontrollably across her brain crucified any formal thought. As there before her, outlined in candlelight once more was the man of her dreams, the man who had very nearly crushed her. But her traitorous body still yearned for him, still found him lethal to her equilibrium, regardless of the warnings her mind screamed at her.

He stood vulnerable; open to pain as he watched the emotions fly ferociously across her perfect face. How could he have made that same face cry so much and made her heart break so badly. He wasn't sure how she was going to react. He couldn't tell if she was going to cry or hit him, or worse not react at all. He couldn't allow himself the luxury to fall back on his old abilities; too many things had changed now. Besides, this time, he wasn't going to manipulate her into anything; she was going to get he facts, no tricks.

"What are you doing here Jack?" She sat down, her voice sounding drained and tired. But she didn't give him time to answer before she continued.

"Why are you intent on making this harder on me, you know we can't be together and you *chose* not to give us a chance, please don't hurt me anymore. Please"

The desperation behind her plea nearly sent him to his knees. He had hurt her *so* much, he didn't know how he could make it better. As she looked up into his eyes, she saw the naked emotion her words had caused and the gaze that passed between them gave him the courage he needed.

"Sam, I need to say something to you. I need to explain a lot of things, will you give me just one more chance and I swear I will not upset you again. If, when I've finished you want me to leave I will, I just need you to open your heart to this stupid man one more time. Will you do that? Can you do that?"

Once more he robbed thought from her mind. He was virtually begging her to take pity on him, even through the haze of the pain he had caused she realised how much that sentence had cost to his pride. She couldn't deny him anything. But she would not make this easy for him. So her only answer was a small inclination of her head.

He cleared his suddenly dry throat and began the course of action that would make or break him.

"Sam, you can't ever know how much I detest myself for the way I hurt you. But I want to explain my reasons. I went from being the happiest man in he galaxy to feeling like I'd been pummelled by fifty Jaffa in the space of hours. I reacted the same way I always have; I closed myself away from the source and reminder of the pain. I have only ever felt that way once before and the sensation of losing you was like I was grieving all over again, only this time, if it's possible, I was in a place deeper and darker than before. I will never forget he look in your eyes when I walked a way from you, and you cannot hold me in more contempt than I feel for myself."

"Now, I know that you are scared and angry and you have every right to be but the last thing want to do is to hurt you more. I am here, not to make this harder for you, but to tell you that I love you so much and so deeply. I also want to tell you that if you will have me, I am yours. General Hammond has called in one last marker and has got permission from the President that will allow us to be together, without court-martial."

"If you want me, a man who can boast only a heart that will love you until it stops beating. I am here. I am a stupid man. I let you go once, I made you leave. But I swear that I will never, ever put you through that again. I love you, Sam, please love me back."

Her eyes had long ago filled with tears at his words. He had just laid his soul open to total annihilation, and had given her the power to press the detonator. Her mind quickly remembered the last time he had spoken those words to her and she replayed the night they had spent together. She had never experienced such a powerful mind altering night. She knew that she could not send him away, she knew that she didn't want to. She wanted the fairytale.

"I do love you Jack, so much it hurts"

He realised the poignant reminder in her words. But he made no move to hold her; both still had something they needed to say.

"But this isn't going to work unless you can let go. I know that it wasn't just me that was hurt in all this and don't underestimate how well I understood your reactions, but if you can't forgive yourself, how can you expect us to be able to work past this." She saw the pain colour his eyes even darker, but she had to continue.

"Jack, I never once blamed you, you did hurt me, I won't deny that, but I always knew why. But I will not put myself in a position to be hurt again if you can't forgive yourself for hurting me."

It was Jack's turn to be stunned by words. He had always known she understood him well, but he had been blind to the depth of her knowledge of who he was. He was also amazed by her logic, she was right of course, but he couldn't get the image of her tears out of his mind. He knew that she would teach him to let go in time, her compassion so great it awed him. But for now he gave her as much as he could.

"I'll never hurt you again Sweetheart. Teach me and Trust me. Please, trust me."

She had never stopped and knew that this time there was nothing capable of ripping them apart.

"Will you marry me, Sam?"

He thought it had all been for nought as she looked away from him and started to cry. As he watched her stand slowly and gracefully he heard his own heart begin to break.

Just as he was about to turn away, she moved suddenly and ran into his arms. He looked deeply into her crystal eyes and made the same unspoken promise he had a week ago. They grasped each other tightly trying to crush away the pain. Their lips found the others half way and neither was going to break the contact anytime soon. The kiss was sweet and deep and contained their hopes, dreams and promise of their future. Once more their silent communication was absolute as they walked each other to the bedroom.



^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* ^*^*

Later:



As they lay tangled in each other, Sam turned suddenly and hit Jack with a smarting slap right across his cheek.

"What did you do that for?" he stammered.

"That was payback. Oh and by the way. Do you remember what you said when we where in that compound with Seth? The thing about singing soprano?

He nodded but looked utterly confused as he tried to understand where she was going with this while still clutching his stinging cheek.

"Good, because if you ever hurt me like that again, I guarantee you that will be the result"

He rolled her over and let his body settle over hers. "Sam, even if I was stupid enough to do something like that again, I would be too busy running from Teal'c, Daniel and General Hammond. Not to mention a certain Doctor who I am *really* gonna be nice to in future. You have quite a following there my lady, and I might be stupid, but I'm not that stupid. I wouldn't take them on if hell fetched me. Besides, it won't happen. I will never hurt you again, unless of course you hit me with another right hook like that last one. Then I'll have to think of a way to better defend myself."

As he captured her lips in another explosive kiss, she pulled away from him.

"Love me Jack"

"Oh I do, and I plan on showing you how much everyday until death do us part"

And with that she finally held her fairytale in her arms after week she would never forget.



The Absolute end!!! (I think *g*)

Feedback? please?