samandjack.net

Story Notes: AUTHOR: Flo (FloBee52@aol.com) and Linz (lindsaymallen@yahoo.com)

SPOILERS: Ickle one for Divide and Conquer

SEASON: After Divide and Conquer

ARCHIVE: SJA, Heliopolis, others only have to ask.

LINZ'S NOTES: OK guys, this was meant to be a Christmas fic, but RL being RL decided to screw up our plans. Hope you all enjoy it anyway. Just like to say Thanks to Flo for being such a great writing partner and making it real easy for me to write my bits. You the best! And to Annie, for laughing in all the right places and for generally being pretty damn great too!

FLO'S NOTES: Think of this as a very late Christmas present or a very early one!!! Your choice ? There might be a sequel NC-17 depends on= the feed back…it's all up to you. Let us know.

// Indicates thoughts


Doctor Janet Fraiser walked down the corridor from her office at the SGC; she was going over the million things she had to get done before the start of the holiday.

//Ok, I need to get to the mall and pick up gifts for Cassie, Sam, Jack, Teal'c and Daniel. Then I have to go over to Mrs. Murphy's and go over the plans for the fundraiser for the orphanage. And I have 3 days to do it all in! Oooooohhhhhhh I'm never gonna make it! //

She had been planning to take the week before the holiday off, but SG- 5 had a disastrous mission. Three members were seriously hurt and the remaining three had superficial injuries. She couldn't leave until they all were stabilized and that kept her on the base 24 hours for the last 10 days. Fortunately, even the worse case Major Grant was recovering nicely and Janet finally felt secure enough to leave their care to her staff. So now she was off to start her well-earned vacation.

Deep in though she didn't hear her best friend Major Samantha Carter calling her.

"JANET! Where are you?" Sam asked grinning. "I've been calling you for the last five minutes."

"Sorry Sam, just going over what I need to get done and wondering how I'm gonna do it."

"Oh you always manage and then some! You're unbelievable! Are we still on for baking tonight?"

"Oh yeah, would you mind if we stopped at Mrs. Murphy's? She's running a charity auction and I told her I'd help out."

"Sure no problem, I'll go get changed and meet you in the parking lot."

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Sam met Janet in the lot and they decided to drop Sam's car at her apartment. One car was hard enough to find parking for in the shopping center at this time of year, let alone two!

After dropping the car off the two friends headed first to the supermarket to get supplies for baking Christmas cookies and then to the mall to finish their gift buying. In three hours they were headed back to Janet's house, exhausted, but satisfied, they both managed to finish all the gift buying. Now it was on to the baking.

"Sam before we get started let's run over to Annie's, see what she needs me to do for the auction."

Ringing the bell of a very handsome colonial house Janet filled Sam in on *exactly* what they had been ordered to bake by Cassie. After a few minutes a woman about 65 answered the door. It was obvious she was extremely upset. Her eyes were red and puffy from crying.

"Annie, what's wrong?" Janet pulled the woman into her arms for a comforting hug. "It can't be that bad."

"Oh Janet, it's worse! The truck that was carrying all the items that were donated for the auction was hijacked! I just received the call. The auction is the day after tomorrow, we'll never be able to replace those items." Mrs. Murphy cried harder with that statement.

"Those poor children! It's bad enough to be alone at the holiday's, now they won't even have any gifts."

"Shhh Annie, you're gonna make yourself sick. We'll think of something. We won't let the kids down." Janet comforted the distraught woman and looked to Sam for any ideas. Now Sam being Sam and being VERY used to being asked to come up with ass-saving ideas on a daily basis, thought for all of a second before replying.

"Hey maybe we can do a talent show or something. Remember the Christmas show we put on a few years ago?" Sam asked hopefully.

"You mean the one where we were escorted off the base cause every dog in a 12 mile radius was howling?" Janet laughed and Annie smiled through her sniffles.

They started telling Annie about the show that almost caused the close down of the SGC. In a few minutes she was laughing along with them. The three women sat around the table trying to come up with ideas for items to be auctioned off. After about a half-hour of not very good ideas Sam said something that set off a bell in Janet's head.

"Well maybe we can go to that male strip joint on Route 27 and hire those guys to dance. I'm sure a lot of women would pay to see that."

"Sam! You're brilliant!" Janet screamed.

"What?! Janet, I was joking!"

"Not the dancers!! Ladies, we are going to have a male auction!"

"Janet, what are you talking about? How can we sell men? Isn't slavery illegal? We fought a war about that once." Sam saw the light that was dancing in her friends eyes and knew something dangerous was lurking in her brain.

"No silly, haven't you heard of auctioning off dates with eligible bachelors?" Janet smirked

"Ok and where do you propose we get these….OH NO!!! NO NO NO!!! You're insane." Now she knew why she hated it when Janet smirked!

"Come on Sam, we have a whole base full of handsome eligible men. Now all we have to do is convince them."

"How do we do that?" A question she just had to ask, but was half afraid that she already knew the answer.

"Well…." Janet's smirk, once again supporting Sam's fears.

"NO absolutely not!! You can not do this to me!"

"Sam, he'll never be able to say no to you, especially when you tell him it's for the Children's Hospital and St. Jerome's Orphanage. You know how Jack feels about kids. Once we get him. He'll get us the others. And I'll get us Daniel. He should bring a pretty penny." Janet's eyebrows wagged.

"Janet, you're impossible!" Try as she might to sound mad or even sensible in the face of such a potentially insane idea, Sam's eyes once more riveted on the form of Annie, who looked a whole lot better at Janet's idea and she caved… big time!

"Ok, I'll do it for the kids. Why do I feel like I'm going to rue this day?"

The two Majors left a much calmer and grateful Annie Murphy. They went to Janet's and started the baking they planned and devised a plan to talk the guys into the auction. ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^^

"Well why don't you tell Jack that you're gonna ask Graham. That should pique his interest."

"How so?"

"Well he'll ask how come you didn't ask him, you know, the alpha-male thing, he won't be able to stand that you would ask another man. His ego won't allow it."

Sam laughed, "Yeah, that might work, I'll just have to word it right. Ok, now how are you planning to rope Daniel into this shin- dig?"

"Oh, I have my ways." Janet leered.

"Janet Fraiser! You are incorrigible!" Sam laughed "So tell me what you're gonna do, maybe I can use it on Jack."

And that put another idea in Janet's head. Ever since their little confession in front of Anise, the two officers had been on their best military behavior. Gone were the little innuendoes and their almost constant flirting. They were so afraid of breaking regulations that they had stopped enjoying each other's company all together. Janet hated that their easygoing camaraderie was damaged by an admission of their feelings. After all it wasn't like the most of the base didn't already know how they felt about each other. It was just that THEY didn't consciously know how they felt about each other. That was until that fateful mission and their forced admission in front of Anise no less. It had put a strain on their friendship and ground to a halt the slow working towards a more intimate relationship, which Janet was sure would have developed on it's own given time.

"So are you gonna tell me how you plan to rope Daniel into this or not?" Sam interrupted Janet's thoughts.

"No, I'm not. Besides I don't think it would work with Jack at least not now."

"What does that mean? Not now?"

"Never mind, it's not important. Put these two trays in the oven will you?"

"Sure change the subject, but I still don't know how I'm ever gonna get the Colonel to agree to do this."

"Sam you're the most brilliant person I know. I have faith in you." Cassie burst into the kitchen at that moment and any other comment Sam might have made was lost. The three girls spend the rest of the afternoon baking and just having a wonderful time together.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

The next morning Sam was wandering the halls of the SGC. She was stalling. Well actually she was being a coward. Four times she found herself outside of Jack's office and four times her courage failed her.

//This is ridiculous, what's the worst he can do? Say no? Come on Carter get a grip, just go up to the door and knock.// She raised her hand and stopped again just before her knuckles reached the wood. But this time the door flew open and she was face to face with the Colonel.

"Carter! Why the hell have you been haunting my office door for the last hour? Everytime I thought someone was there, they'd disappear. It's getting old."

"Uh, sorry Sir. Can I talk to you for a sec?"

"Sure, just stop hovering outside my door. Makes an old soldier nervous. Ok?"

Sam giggled and said "Yeah sure you betcha"

"So, what can I do for you Major?"

"Well Colonel, Sir…ummm it's actually not…well you see…"

Well this was a first. His cool competent 2IC at a lost for words and a nervous wreck. Jack was at a loss to think what she might want to tell him and then a thought popped into his head and fear gripped his heart.

"Carter! You don't want to leave SG-1 cause if that's it, the answer is absolutely not!! I…we need you and….."

"NO!!! Colonel it's not that at all. It's nothing like that. What would make you think that?"

"Well, I've never known you to be so nervous or lost for words. I guess I thought the worst".

Sam gasped and smiled //Wow, he thought losing me would be the worst//

"So what do you want to talk to me about, Major and don't beat around the bush, unless you want me to get angry… and you wouldn't like me when I'm angry!" Jack grinned as his imitation had the desired effect and her smile lit the room.

Sam couldn't help it, nothing would have stopped her from laughing at him. The blatant rip off of The Hulk would have been face more impressive if he'd managed to keep his face straight and if he'd had biceps the size of Teal'c's leg, not that he didn't have very nice biceps, but….

// Ok Sam, just say it//

"Well Sir, a neighbor of Janet's… Mrs. Murphy, I think you met her once or twice." She paused as she watched him mentally scanning his memory.

"Yeah, that sweet old woman across the street. I remember her. Nice lady."

"Yes exactly, well she and her organization run a Christmas auction every year for the Children's Hospital and St. Jerome's Orphanage so they can purchase gifts for the kids."

"What you want a donation from me? Sure, you know I love kids. Is two hundred bucks ok?"

"Ah, thanks Sir, that very generous of you, but you see that's not the problem. It's a little more complicated then that."

"What is it Carter? Spit it out already!" Jack was getting annoyed. It wasn't like Sam to be so evasive.

//Sam!! Just tell him before he launches into more bad impressions!//

"Ok, here's the thing. All the donated items for the auction where hijacked yesterday afternoon. There's not enough time to replace them with the auction being tomorrow night. So they came up with… um…. "something" else to auction off and Mrs. Murphy asked Janet and I if we could help out. Since it was sort of my idea... well actually it was Janet who came up with the idea, but…."

"Oh for crying out loud… SAM!!" Jack screamed and stopped Sam in mid ramble.

"Oh yeah, well Sir, we sort of came up with the idea of a… kinda… like a… a male auction. You know a date with a handsome eligible bachelor. And since this base is loaded with handsome men, we, that is Janet and I sort of volunteered to get the "merchandise" so to speak."

Jack did the impression of a guppy thrown out of his bowl. His eyes got wide and his mouth opened and closed about 100 times. He just stared at her.

"Colonel? Sir? Are you alright? JACK!!"

He sputtered "You want me to be part of a auction? For a date? With some strange woman? ARE YOU INSANE?"

"Jack, I know, but it's for the kids. We don't have enough time to get anything else and I was sure YOU wouldn't mind." Sensing the softening in those deep brown eyes Sam pressed the advantage.

"You don't want those poor little kids not to have any thing for Christmas now would you." Sam moved her hands up and down her arms and looked at him with those big blue eyes of hers and he was lost.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Annie Murphy grabbed Janet and hugged her.

"Oh I can't believe you and Sam did it! Twenty five men all decked out in tuxedo's. This should be the best auction in the clubs history! Everyone is so excited about it. How did you manage to convince them?"

"Well we needed to get a few key officers in place and then the rest followed. What I can't believe is that General Hammond agreed to take part. In fact he was excited about it."

"And that nice Dr. Jackson, how did you convince him?" Annie asked wagging her eyebrows at Janet.

Janet blushed a pretty pink. "Well, he was the easiest to convince. I just promised I'd be the one to "buy" him."

"Which brings me to a favor Annie."

"Janet, of course! Whatever I can do. What is it?"

"Well, you know my friend Sam and my friend Jack O'Neill. Well for reasons that are too complicated to go into, their relationship has been put under a strain of late and think I just might have a way to get it going in the right direction again."

"Well of course you can count me in. Those two young people belong together! Anyone can see that. In fact, it always amazed me to see how much energy they both exerted trying to hide those feeling from each other. It's about time, no scratch that, it's overdue that they stop avoiding what right under their noses. Happiness! Those two are soul mates. It's so obvious a blind man could see it.!"

"Well to be honest Annie, it's a little more complicated then that. Their being together could cause some major trouble with the military. You see…."

"Janet, don't go sprouting the non-frat reg to me."

Janet looked stunned at that comment.

"What? Didn't I ever tell you I was in the Navy when I met Michael? Well I was and I was under his command too. But we found a way around the regulations and so can Jack and Sam. They just have to want it bad enough. Believe me when I say there are ways." Annie knew that Janet was stunned, so she prompted once more…

"So, what's your plan?"

Janet proceeded to outlay her idea to Annie. When she was done Annie was smiling.

"Oh I know just the person to "bid" on our hapless Colonel."

She picked up the phone and dialed a number.

"Hello Agnes dear, this is Annie Murphy. Dear, I have a little favor to ask of you?"

Janet's eyes opened wide and she had to put her hand over her mouth to stifle the hysterical laughter that threaten to escape. Agnes Brown was 97 years old!!

They talked about the plan a bit more. Annie promised to pass the word to all the members that Agnes was going to bid on Jack, they were only to make it interesting so as not to look like a set up. Annie then came up with the idea to have ONLY the older members of the club bid on Jack. And Janet would make sure Sam heard about Agnes' plan for her evening with her prize. It was wonderful that Agnes was such a jokester. She was more then willing to help out. She would tell Jack at the beginning of the evening he was hers and she had a "romantic" evening planned for them.

With the plan and a smile firmly in place, Janet went home to finish wrapping her gifts.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

The next day all the men who agreed to take part in the auction assembled at the hall where the dinner/auction would be held. The ones who did not own a tux had stopped by the local rental places and picked one up. Jack was the last one to arrive.

"Jack, thought you where whimping out on us here." Daniel joked with his friend.

"Believe me Danny-boy I thought about it. If it weren't for the kids, I would have. How could I let her talk me into this." He shook his head ruefully, both at the auction and the fact that his major could apparently wrap him around her little finger if she wanted to.

"Aw come on, it will be fun. It's just a dinner date. No one says it has to go any further."

Just then the president of the club, Karen Skyler, appeared and they had a run through off the auction. The men would mingle with the crowd during the cocktail hour wearing their respective numbers so that the women could see the "merchandise" before the actual bidding began. Then they would be called out by number and the bidding would start. After the close of each bid Teal'c, dressed suitably in a Santa outfit, would hand each man a rose to present to the winning bidder and escort them their date.

"Ok gentlemen, first off let me thank each and everyone of you for agreeing to participate in our little auction. When the truck with the original items was stolen I thought we would have a lot of disappointed children this year. But thanks to you I think this will be our best year ever. Now I would like each of you to step over to the fish bowl and draw out a number. This will represent where you will be in the auction."

The General was the first one on line. "Ok, men fall in!"

Each man fell into line behind the general and drew a number.

General Hammond drew 14. Daniel drew 8. Jack drew number 25.

"Oh great! Last!! I have to wait till the end."

"So what Jack? It's no big deal"

"Daniel, do you have any idea how nervous I'll be by the time they get to me. I much rather get this over with. Wanna trade?"

"Nope, sorry 8 is my lucky number."

^*^**^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

The night of the auction arrived and Daniel went to Jack's to pick him up. He thought it was strange that Janet insisted that he and Jack arrive in one car together. But she was adamant about it.

"Please, Daniel do this for me. I promise you, you won't be sorry." She told him rubbing her body close to his.

Daniel blew the horn and Jack came out and got in the car.

"Jack, you look great!" I've never seen you in a civilian suit before, and I thought you said you where worried about this."

Although somewhat placated by Danny's reassurance, Jack still couldn't shake the nerves that had gripped the pit of his stomach. Funny, give him armies of Jaffa, of Apophis himself and he handled it better than a stupid auction!

"Yeah, well I hate this monkey suit! Can't wait to get it off! But you look pretty spiffy yourself there Danny, or should that be… Jackson, Daniel Jackson"

Jack's lame attempt at "Bond" humor did nothing to quell his nerves and so he remained unusually quiet on the drive over. Daniel was worried. Jack usually made comments about his driving, but tonight… nada. Finally Daniel had enough. He pulled over to the side of the road and turned off the engine.

Ok, Jack spill it. What's bothering you? And don't tell me "nothing". You're far too quiet tonight."

Jack sighed. When did the kid get to know him so well? He figured Daniel wasn't gonna start driving again until he 'fessed up, and quite frankly he wanted this evening over ASAP! So he might has well tell him what was bothering him cause Daniel was like a pit-bull and wouldn't let it go till he found out.

"I'm worried Daniel, that's all."

"Worried about what Jack?" Daniel looked at him with concern in those intense eyes of his and Jack knew he had no choice but to come clean.

"This is gonna sound sooo stupid. But it's in my head and I can't help worrying. What if no one bids on me? I'd look like an idiot."

If Jack O'Neill had said that to anyone else they would have laughed their heads off, but Daniel knew that for all his bravado Jack was absurdly vulnerable sometimes. He knew that he was unsure of himself in these kinds of situations.

"Jack that's not gonna happen. You are gonna be fine. Hell, in that tux it wouldn't surprise me one bit if you bring the most in this auction. Now, stop worrying and let's go get ourselves sold."

Jack looked at Daniel and started laughing. Daniel realized how his last comment sounded and started laughing along with him.

"See, everything is gonna be fine. In fact, I have a feeling this night is going to be something *very* special."

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

The hall where the dinner was being held was full. Word spread about the hijacked truck and the new replacement "items" like wild fire. In the last three days the club had sold an addition 250 tickets and had had to turn people away.

Sam and Janet arrived together. Janet told Sam her car had broke down and could she come and get her. She knew she'd be going home with Daniel and if her little scheme worked Jack would be going home with, well… the highest bidder.

Both women looked exquisite. Janet had on a velvet gown of deep burgundy with a very daring plunging neckline and a split up the back that stopped just in time. Sam was wearing a midnight blue gown of satin. It was deceptively simple, it had a high neck and long sleeves, but the back of the gown was opened to just above the hips with a split. It had taken Janet a while to convince her friend to buy it. She couldn't wait to see Jack's face when he got a load of his 2IC in this dress.

They mingled with the crowd spotting Annie over by the bar. She was talking to an elderly woman who was leaning against a walker.

"Janet, Sam! Over here."

"Annie, you look wonderful!" Annie was wearing a simple beige dress with an overlay of black lace sprinkled with beads.

"Well you two look beautiful! Janet, Sam I'd like you to meet Agnes. She's the oldest member of our little club and one of the founders.

"Nice to meet such beautiful young ladies. I understand that it's you two we have to thank for this interesting merchandise for sale tonight? I just wish they would parade those hot little soldier butts out here already. I'm not getting any younger here and I have a hankering to see which stud I'm buying tonight."

Sam's eyes opened wide and her mouth flew open.

Agnes caught Janet's eye and winked. Annie took Sam's arm and steered her over to the bar, so Agnes could speak to Janet alone.

"Think that was a good start for your friend there?" Agnes asked

Janet laughed "oh yeah I think that should help out some."

"Well just so you know what I have planned, after I see that young man of hers, I plan to insinuate that I want more then just dinner from him." Agnes laughed. "Like I wish I still could"

Janet leaned over and kissed the woman's cheek. "Thank you so much for helping out. Just don't give poor Jack a heart attack."

"It's my pleasure. I love the thought of bringing two stubborn fools together. Annie tells me they are made for each other."

"Oh they are, they're just too damn proud to admit it."

Just then the announcer introduced the men and twenty-five of Cheyenne Mountain's finest came into the room. The room exploded into applause as the men entered. They all looked so handsome in their tuxedos and they all split up and began to move around the room mingling with the crowd.

Jack and Daniel scanned the room looking for Sam and Janet. They spotted them over by the bar talking with Mrs. Murphy. Jack's mouth fell open when he saw what Sam was wearing. She looked so beautiful. He always thought she looked beautiful, whether it be in full dress blues or sweaty and tired in mudded up fatigues, but tonight she was breath taking. As they started to make their way over to them an old woman grabbed Jack's arm.

"Hey there sweet cakes what's your hurry. Stay a chat a bit."

"Um, Ma'am? Sorry I need to go and see a friend for a minute, I'll be back." Jack backed away trying to escape.

"Oh I know you will sugar pie, cause Momma here is gonna buy you and we're gonna have a fine time tonight." She said goosing Jack's butt as he moved away.

Jack was in shock. When he finally found Daniel he was sweating.

"Jack? What's wrong? You look like you saw a ghost."

"Daniel, where's Sam. I've got to get out of here. Now!"

"Jack you can't! You're part of the auction… Look, calm down, I thought we discussed this. Some one will bid on you don't worry."

"And *that's* just what I'm worried about now." Jack said under his breath stealing a glance at Agnes, who winked and blew him a kiss.

For the remainder of the cocktail hour Jack tried to get to Sam but every time he got close, Agnes would corner him.

"Hey Sweetie, you better not tire yourself out. I have plans for you." Jack looked at her incredulously; she was old enough to be his grandmother, hell she was old enough to be his grandmother's, grandmother!

He was just about to call out to Sam, when the general grabbed his arm.

"Time to go back inside Colonel."

Janet had told the General about her plan. He was all for it. He had seen the tension between his two star officers and did not like it one bit. Their denying their feelings was worse for the team then them being together. Some time ago, he had called the President and enacted his prerogative to overlook the non-frat regulations. Major General George Hammond was no fool, and had been around long enough to know the difference between lust and something a lot more special. Now all that was needed was for two very hard headed people to see the light.

Sam had been looking for Jack all night. She had seen him briefly when he had first come into the room. Man, did he look sexy! All tall and smart, dark eyes and long legs… had she mentioned sexy? No one should look that good in a tux, at least without being given a public health warning anyway.

But before she could go talk to him, she had seen him talking with Agnes. He looked terrified and her heart went out to him. He hated being on show, she was sure right at that moment he was almost wishing for Apophis to come a knockin'. Just then she had been cornered by Teal'c who needed some assistance with the theory of a beard and moustache and by the time she had explained to her "warrior Santa" the difference between beards and wigs, she had lost all sight of Jack. "Nevermind" she though, she would see him during the auction.

A few minutes later, all the guest moved into the main dining room for the main event. The auction would begin right after dinner and it seemed (to Jack at least) that dinner was served far too quickly. Coffee and cake was placed on the tables as the lights dimmed and Karen Skyler stepped on to the runway.

"Ladies and Gentlemen. Thank you all for coming tonight. I'm sure you are looking forward to this auction as much as we are and as always we hope that you will all be as generous as possible for the children. I would like to thank the men who have so graciously agreed to be our auction items tonight for their generosity. They all are wonderful and handsome men. So ladies, let's not disappoint them. I now turn you over to our auctioneer for this evening Reverend Michael Higgens of St. Jerome'

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Backstage the difference in attitudes was classical. Some men where gearing themselves up as if the where going into battle. Others including Daniel and General Hammond where laughing and joking, while others just wished fervently for some natural disaster so that this didn't happen at all. Or otherwise that a certain old lady would have forgotten her Checkbook.

Jack was brought out of his wishful thinking by the sound of the announcer.

"Ladies for your pleasure… our first item… Lt. Graham Simmons…"

"Good luck Lt." accompanied with a hearty slap on the shoulder by a General who was enjoying this far too much! "Show them what for Son"

"Y…Y... Yes Sir" Stammered the young officer as he walked out to the sound of the Reverend listing his "attributes"

Jack watched in amazement as the "scared of his own shadow" Lt. became hot property very quickly indeed. As his confidence grew, so did his price tag. Eventually Simmons had been "won" by a stunning redhead, who in Jack's opinion had more money than sense. Didn't she realize that the best had been saved for last? But in a weird kinda way, the fact that Simmons had gone for $300 made Jack feel better. If a guy who couldn't even look at a certain Major without blushing could do so well, then Jack felt much better indeed, cause for him, *looking* at Sam had never been the problem.

Jack watched on as the "merchandise" was sold off, actually beginning to relax and kinda enjoy himself. Especially when Ferretti was bought by one of the more "outgoing" ladies in the room, said lady only narrowly beating off a strong challenge from the wine waiter!

Suddenly, Daniel stood up and took his place behind the curtain, straightening his bow tie as he went. Out of all the men who where bludgeoned into this, Daniel Jackson was the last person Jack would have pegged to look so comfortable in this situation. What had the Doc promised him? Strike that… he didn't wanna know!

Looking back around the room, Jack mentally retracted his earlier statement too. Actually, the *last* person he would have expected to be enjoying this so much was Major General George Hammond. A General who, at this precise moment was asking one of the SF guards whether his best tactic was to look "mean and moody" or "cute and cuddly"! Shaking his head as if to clear it from what must be a weird ass delusion, Jack heard the Announcer begin again.

"Ladies, now we come to one of the highlights of our auction… Dr. Daniel Jackson, Ph.D. in archaeology…

"Hey Jack" Daniel shouted just before going on the stage "I'm a highlight" his grin threatening to actually crack his face, Jack scowled. "See ya later Colonel" and with that the little Space Monkey disappeared through the curtain to a rapturous applause.

//To whichever God is listening, PLEASE don't let Danny-Boy fetch more than me// Jack prayed and he prayed hard, knowing he would never hear the end of it if that happened.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Sam watched on, choking back a laugh. Daniel was strutting his stuff like a seasoned pro, and he looked damned good too. Unable to hold herself back any longer Sam began a chant of "take it off" at her teammate and friend. As the chant grew louder and louder, Sam saw Daniel's "Eat shit and die" look that he sent in her direction as he realized she had left him no choice. To his credit he merely shook his head and began to slowly divest himself of his jacket and bow tie.

Up until then, the bidding had been constant in it's increase, but when Daniel began to undo his shirt buttons, it went crazy. When he slid the shirt off his shoulders, it went insane! Janet Fraiser leading the way.

Sam chuckled broadly, Janet had promised to buy Daniel and Sam didn't see why she couldn't be the recipient of some of her own medicine. Finally Janet won the bidding with a price of $700, and sending a "I'll get you later" look in Sam's direction, Janet went on stage to claim her prize.

Hugging a still shirtless Daniel she whispered into his ear "I'm gonna kill Sam, she made me cough up big bucks."

"Take a number… *you* didn't have to take off your shirt!" Came Daniel's attempt at an indignant reply as Santa Teal'c came over and handed the happy couple a dinner voucher and a red rose. Taking the proffered rose from her "date" Janet whispered into Daniel's ear "Maybe later Dr. Jackson"

The only person in the room who had any sort of idea as to why a man who failed to be embarrassed by having to strip to the waist in a room of 1000 women, was led from the stage blushing bright crimson, was Sam. Janet had told her of her "plans" for the after dinner celebrations.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

"*Seven* *HUNDRED* dollars???"

Jack's incredulous voice thundered around the room.

"They paid seven *hundred* dollars for Space Monkey? Are they all senile?"

"Well actually Colonel, Dr. Fraiser bought Dr. Jackson" the general supplied

"Well I always knew that woman had on foot in the dark side of sanity" Jack mumbled.

"Jack" The General's tone had changed to a coaxing one " Don't worry about beating $700, worry about the precedent that has just been set" At Jack's dumfounded look Hammond continued "Well Son, it looks like stripping to the waist has just become compulsory… look"

Jack eyes followed the direction of his General's gesture, sure enough, there was Major Castleman pulling his shirt from his shoulders.

"Shit" was Jack's only audible thought.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Sam hadn't realized that in getting Daniel to strip, she had set the new rule. One by one, her colleagues came on stage to be greeted by chants of "Strip" or "Get it off" and only when the guys where down to their dress pants would the women begin bidding.

Half of her was kinda sorry that she was responsible for putting the guys through this, but the other half of her was elated for three reasons. One, the bidding was going crazy and the kids would have a great Christmas. Two, it was just so much fun to see normally courageous soldiers quake in their shoes and three, she was gonna get to see Jack O'Neill half naked!

At that thought she headed to the ladies room to cool herself down, only just returning to her seat in time for her to hear the Reverend Higgens announce lot number 14.

"Now ladies, another of our highlights. I am pleased to introduce to you none other than the Commanding Officer of Cheyenne Mountain… Major General George Hammond."

As a very smiley George stepped onto the stage, Jack could hear a chorus of whistles and raucous cheering. His CO had obviously opted for a combination of mean and moody and cute and loveable, and it was a great combination. The women seemed caught between laughter and bidding frenzy, as Hammond strutted the stage like a peacock.

Jack had to admit that he was fighting the laugher at the sight of Major General George Hammond, his CO and friend wiggling his butt while stripping to the chants of "Go General, Go General, Go General!"

In fact, it seemed to Jack that Hammond was slightly disappointed when Reverend Higgens "sold" him for $500, not because of the price, but rather because his 15 minutes of fame was over. Although, good 'ole George did seem to perk up a little when he saw the winning bidder. Who would have thought that Hammond had a thing for Mrs. North, Sam's next door neighbor! But the way he kissed her after presenting her with the rose meant that even Jack understood. //Sam// The name rang *SO* many alarm bells in Jack's head that it felt like he was gonna sneeze a claxon! //Shit!// She was there, she was gonna see him have to strip to the waist! //Shit!// She was gonna watch as he got bid on by an old lady who scared the living crap out of him //HOLY SHIT!// Of all the scenarios that where present in Jack's head, Sam's first glimpse of his half-naked body (when not checking for a Jaffa pouch or while under the influence of some alien virus,) *did not* come in a room full of maniacal women! - A beach in Maui maybe, but not here!!!! So with that thought, Jack walked over to the bar, poured himself a *strong* drink and proceeded to panic a whole helluva lot as he watched the room slowly empty of fellow lambs for the slaughter. Sam was getting nervous. Jack hadn't been auctioned yet and as number 23, or rather Captain Roberts, walked off the stage with the winning bidder; it didn't take her numerous qualifications to realize that there were only two men to go. So it was with baited breath and clammy hands that she listened as Reverend Higgens announced the next man out.

"Ladies… I offer you Lot #24… Sergeant Lewis, US Marine Corps…"

Sam released the breath she didn't know she had been holding. Jack was the last man out and she wasn't quite sure why she was so nervous. It wasn't like she was going to bid on him or anything… not that she didn't want to, but propriety and those damn pesky regs salved the more spontaneous aspects of her temperament. No, she would have to make do with seeing the man she had fantasized about for a long time half-naked. *Hopefully* that would ease the already escalating jealousy of seeing him leave said stage with another woman on his arm. His *bare* arm no less!

Janet whispered something into Daniel's ear, but Sam completely missed the knowing look that passed between the pair. Nor did she notice the conspiratorial smiles sent by that *nice* old lady, Agnes.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Behind the stage curtain, Jack was stood still and alone, mentally persuading himself not to make a run for the nearest exit. //For the kids, Jack… it's for the kids//

Looking towards the curtain, he could hear the winning bid of $200 be accepted by the Reverend.

Jack O'Neill had faced many situations far more worthy of the gut- deep fear he felt now, so his pride wouldn't let him back down from a simple act of generosity for kids. *Especially* when he would be the laughing stock of the entire SGC if he left. Colonel of the Front Line SGC team who couldn't face a room full of women, for a really worthy cause? No way was he gonna give SG3 Marines *that* kind of ammunition.

So striding purposefully to the curtain, he gripped it with a shaky hand and took a deep breath as he heard his cue

"Ladies, our final lot tonight…. Colonel Jack O'Neill, US Air Force…"

Stepping out onto the brightly-lit stage, Jack silently prayed that that "sweet" old lady had gone home tired.

Those hopes where firmly dashed however as he heard…

"Woohooo Flyboy! Show Momma your hot little buns!" Agnes shouted

The room erupted in laughter as Jack felt the cold hand of fear take hold of the pit of his stomach as he walked seemingly confidently up and down the stage. Who'd have thought the ability to think the diametric opposite to the image you portrayed, learned from years in Black Ops, would come in handy at a charity auction!

"That's it Flyboy, you clench those buns!"

Jack smiled a lethally sexy smile. First rule – never show the enemy your weakness!

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Sam was torn between laughter at Agnes' chants and being absolutely captivated by the man on the stage. He looked so amazingly gorgeous. The lights accentuated his strong features and caught the whiteness of his teeth as he smiled a smile that sent her heart thudding painfully in her chest.

However lethal as that smile was to the congregation in the room, Sam could tell that it was forced, that it wasn't one of those lazy grins that had the power to brighten up her whole day.

//Well Colonel, if you're uncomfortable now… I hate to see you when Agnes is finished with you//

It had become apparent to Sam that Agnes meant to have her Colonel, a point that made her perversely grateful. At least she wouldn't have to smile at him while he walked out with some stunning creature! Knowing Agnes as she now did, she knew that she had a determination to be feared. A point emphasized as she heard that *lovely* old lady shout at the top of her voice…

"Strip for me Colonel. I wanna see if you are worth paying good money for"

All credit to Jack, he forced another dazzling smile to his lips as he slowly began to undo his hand-tied bow tie. He even managed a bright "Yes Ma'am" aimed towards Agnes, and Sam was so completely proud of him at that moment she thought she would burst. He hated this, she knew that certainly, but for the kids, he was willing to put himself through this.

She watched on as a devilish glint came to his eyes as he dropped his jacket dramatically to cheers from the ladies.

"$100!" came a shout from the front of the room

"$200!" Answered Agnes, and Sam noticed the colonel's grin falter just a little.

"$300!" came a shout from the front of the hall as Jack undid his cummerbund.

"$600! Answered *Annie* from across the table, to Sam's utter amazement

"Well it is for the kids, and Agnes has got the money, don't worry Sam" came Annie's wicked defense.

Sam missed the look of triumph that passed around her table, she was trying so hard to keep her face neutral, but the prospect of the Colonel stripping and Annie's outrageous bid increase was nearly too much. Especially when Agnes stood up determinedly and said loudly enough for all, including a now internally panicking Jack, to hear.

"Sam, would you be a dear and help me onto the stage, I want to see just *exactly* how much of a stud that man is!"

Without giving her time to protest Agnes grabbed Sam's arm and almost dragged her to the stage.

Sam couldn't believe this and as she helped Agnes up the steps to the stage, her eyes roamed and then locked with those dark ones of her Colonel. The sparkage that shot between the two at that moment would have powered a small city for a year. Annie, Daniel and Janet tried not to laugh at the obviousness their friends both exuded.

"$700!" the lady at the front shouted as the moment was interrupted and Sam quickly took herself out of the spotlight.

"Now just you wait a second Josephine MacBride, I am checking out the merchandise here, have some manners!"

Agnes' retort brought wails of laughter once more, but Jack was too worried about the intent he read in the elder ladies eyes as she approached him with a long piece of red tinsel.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Jack magnanimously stooped to allow her to put the tinsel around his neck so that she didn't hurt herself. After all, his 6'2" frame dwarfed her probable 5' in heels, and first and foremost Jack was a gentleman. He soon regretted that trait when he felt her pull on the ends of the tinsel and bring his head down to hers as she grinned…

"Let me help you a little here Sweet Cheeks!"

Smiling into his fearful eyes, Agnes slowly began to unbutton his shirt to a torrent of wolf whistles from the watching crowd.

Jack took a deep breath, this wasn't really happening… it couldn't be. He refused to believe he was on a stage having his shirt taken off by a woman of 97 with the libido of a teenager!

If Jack thought things couldn't get any more embarrassing, he was so sadly mistaken as Agnes proved a second later when she stopped at his third from the top button.

"Sam, dear where did you go?" Jack felt the color drain from his face… *this* could not be good.

Jack's assumption was well founded as Sam stepped quickly back up to the stage, worry over the elder ladies health taking precedence over embarrassment or pre-emptive understanding.

"Sam, could you be an angel and help me here. My rheumatism is playing up and I want to see the Sexy Colonel without his shirt." Smiling innocently the elder lady continued, "Could you take care of the last few buttons for me?"

Agnes couldn't tell whose reaction was the better. Jack, who's face had lost all color or Sam's, whose face was now a color of red that matched the tinsel around the Colonel's neck.

Sam swallowed against a suddenly very dry throat. How could she possibly refuse? How could she not help out Agnes in front of a thousand of her friends? But at the same time how could she possibly undress *her* Colonel in front of a thousand screaming women?

Jack saw the hesitation in his Major. Afraid to do it and afraid not to.

But he knew her, he knew which side would win and he wasn't wrong. He knew as soon as she looked up at him, an apology clear in her eyes, that the same quirk of personality that had caused him to be here tonight was right now causing her to lift her arms upto the third button of his shirt.

"That's it Sam, thank you very much my dear" Agnes responded as Sam felt herself move her arms upwards in search of the button. She couldn't believe what she was about to do. But it was for the kids… for the kids at Christmas she was going to further Jack's embarrassment tonight. Looking him square in the eye and sending an unspoken apology she placed her fingers around button number three.

//For the kids my ass!// Her conscience provoked.

It was right too, she knew it was as soon as her fingers touched that button, slightly grazing the sprinkling of chest hair that was visible. She could feel the heat of his body as she sucked in a breath in the hope of calming shaking fingers.

Jack couldn't breathe. He lost himself in the sensation of her hands on his chest, as she ever so gently moved to button number four, as her fingers trailed lightly down the front of him. Who would have ever thought that the most erotic moment of his life would come in front of 1000 whistling women?

His head was bent, willing her to look at him, needing to see those blue eyes, forgetting completely where he was. He'd blocked out the laughter, whistles and lights, now seeing only her blond hair as her fingers trailed to button number five.

Sam realized that she could undo no more buttons unless she freed his shirt from his pants first, so taking another shaky breath she let her hands travel to the junction of shirt and belt. Feeling the involuntary shiver pass through him and echo through her as she felt the contours of his stomach. Grabbing the white material and pulling gently, she freed it, allowing her access to buttons six, seven and eight.

Still not looking at either his face or his now partially bare chest, Sam made nimble work of the last buttons. No longer having her fingers in physical contact with him seemed to make them regain co- ordination. But she could still feel the heat of him… oh could she!

That thought was interrupted by a devilish smile on Agnes' face as she spoke once more.

"Ok, Josephine, I'll raise to $800 for that bitable stomach alone. But I want the full effect. Sam would you be so good, seeing as how you're there already?"

Jack's sudden comprehension that he had cost more than Danny was squashed quickly by the perception of what Sam was going to do next.

//Oh MAN! I'd die happy right now!//

Sam swallowed hard again, but this time her movements where fuelled by desire. So stepping subtly closer to Jack, she finally brought her eyes to met his oh so dark brown gaze.

Neither spoke, but both knew.

Without breaking her gaze, she ran her hands up his bare stomach and chest. Slowly pushing the material off his shoulders, she left her hands to roam freely over the broad strength in the bunched muscles there, before brushing her hands down his arms to free him of the material altogether.

It took every single ounce of willpower Jack O'Neill owned not to grab her right then and there. In fact it was a battle he was rapidly losing as he felt the light touch of her fingers run down his arms. As his breathing quickened noticeably, his next, probably very unwise action, was interrupted by a shout from Josephine MacBride.

"Oh my lord! Colonel! $900!"

Jack and Sam's head flew in perfect unison to the face from where the voice came. Mrs. MacBride was grinning evilly, not at Jack, but at Agnes, who didn't miss a beat.

"$950, and I know you can't match that Josephine" Agnes was smug and both Sam and Jack knew from the look on Josephine's face that she couldn't.

Turning back to Sam and away from the confident look on Agnes smile, Jack sent Sam a clear message. *Help!*

Sam knew that he was looking at her, she could feel the penetrating gaze of those rich chocolate eyes level on her face. So turning her head back to his she let blue meet brown and what she saw there melted her. It was a quiet desperation, a silent cry for help, a need for her to save his ass once more, and it was a cry she heeded.

Without breaking his gaze, she spoke. Softly, but firmly…

"$1000"

Both turned in perfect time once more to Agnes, whose face held the look of defeat, but whose eyes had suddenly lit up. For a moment no one spoke, the function room had gone silent, only triumphant smiles passing between certain occupants of certain tables.

It was the Reverend Higgens who interrupted the moment…

"The lady has a new bid of $1000, any rise?"

Agnes slowly looked from Jack to Sam and back again, her heart light because of her achievement.

"Sorry Colonel, but even for buns like yours, $1000 is too rich for my blood"

The room erupted into applause and cheers as the bid was finalized.

"Going once… going twice… SOLD! To the lady in the stunning blue dress" All heard the mallet hit the block, sealing the bargain, but for Sam and Jack it woke them from their spell.

//Shit! She bought me//

//Uh-oh! I bought him!//

Jack suddenly became aware of Teal'c thrusting something into his hand.

The red rose, he was supposed to give her the red rose, kiss her cheek and escort her off stage….

//SHIT!//

"Congratulations O'Neill, Major Carter… here are your meal vouchers" Santa Teal'c spoke indulgently, waiting like the rest of the room for Jack to finish his duty.

Looking her once more in the eye, Jack took a deep breath and held the rose to her, feeling his heart race once more as her fingers brushed his. He lowered his lips to kiss her cheek ever so gently, lingering perhaps a moment too long. As he lifted his head, the smile she gave him coupled with the look in those shiny blue depths let him know undoubtedly that he had just lost his heart all over again.

Feeling his breath on her cheek nanoseconds before his lips sent a shiver of awareness through every nerve in her body and Sam died and went to heaven. When he lifted his head and looked into her eyes, she knew that her emotions where on display, unguarded for the first time, and the smile he sent her showed her that he understood.

Taking her hand in his, he placed it on his arm and feeling her fingers close around bare skin sent ever more jolts of electricity coursing through him. Yet for the first time that night he was actually content as he led the woman who owned "him" for the night, but his heart forever, off stage.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

As soon as they stepped off the stage, they where surrounded immediately by their friends.

"Sam, you said that you weren't going to bid!" Janet playfully admonished.

"Nice tactics, my dear. You knew Agnes could only go upto $950, your kindness is amazing. The children will have the greatest Christmas ever! Thank you, thank you all so much!"

Annie's gratitude was overwhelming and all were affected. It even managed to bring Sam out of her mental churnings.

"You're welcome Annie, it was my pleasure"

Everyone was impressed by Sam's ability to deal with the situation, but it was Jack who broke the spell between the now hugging women as only he could.

"Tough luck Space Monkey, tone yourself up a little and maybe next year you'll give me a better challenge" Jack's smile was contagious to all bar Danny.

"For someone who was half scared to death that he wouldn't…"

Daniel's comeback was abruptly cut off as Jack coughed loudly, "Well never mind that, where's my clothes?"

At the mention of clothes, Sam suddenly became aware that her colonel was still half-naked, feeling the color rise to her cheeks accordingly, she decided on retreat. She needed to get out of here, fast, before General Hammond's quickly advancing form actually arrived!

"Excuse me for a second, I just need to freshen up a little" Without waiting around Sam headed quickly in the direction of the ladies room for a little round of self-reproach. What had she been thinking up there? Oh that was right! She hadn't been at all… thinking that is.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^^**^*^

Jack confusion as to the sudden disappearance of his major was resolved as he noticed General Hammond coming towards them. So pulling his shirt back on, he began to do up the buttons in a show of sanity.

"Colonel O'Neill!"

//Oh crap, here it comes// thought Jack as he turned to face his CO.

"Well done Son, if we'd have known how much you would fetched we would have given you a minimum sale price!"

Hammond's laugh was echoed around the small group but Jack was too stunned to speak. He had been expecting some sort of condemnation and warning about his conduct with Major Carter on stage. That alone had probably been enough to break the non-frat rules.

Still lost in his own thoughts, Jack didn't see the General give Daniel and Janet the nod to leave.

"Well Colonel, Daniel and I had better get going if we want that voucher to still be available, I assume you'll take Sam home after your meal"

Before he could answer, Daniel shook his hand.

"See you tomorrow Jack, told you it would be fine" and with that cryptic comment Jack watched the retreating forms of the two doctors leave the now emptying room. Leaving Jack, (who had now given up trying to retie his bow tie and had just let it hang loosely around the open butterfly collar of his shirt) alone with General Hammond.

"Son, I would like to talk to you about a sensitive matter"

//*Now* here it comes// thought Jack, the "you've crossed the line already, don't make me bring you up on charges" speech. Jack hid his extreme disappointment, what he wouldn't give to take Sam out this evening.

"It came to my attention some time ago that certain regulations where going to cause a problem sooner or later for certain officers under my command. Now being unwilling as I was to lose either officer from resignation or court-martial, I was left with no alternative but to find another way around the issue"

Pausing for effect Hammond realized that Jack's expression meant that he had to get more specific.

"Basically Son, I got certain none-frat rules "bent" in the case of my Front line team's commanding officer and his second in command. That way I slept easy knowing that when the two mentioned individuals finally got their heads from up their asses and saw what every other person on base could see, I wouldn't have to lose my two finest officers. So you see Colonel, the path is clear. Don't make all my hard work go to waste. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a date of my own"

Jack stood open mouthed at the understanding of his CO's message as he watched him leave laughing with his date. For once his brain was given the type of information he could use effectively, and as usual in a strategy expert, a plan of action was formed. So he slung his jacket over his shoulder and waited for the return of a Major that was now well and truly *his*.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Sam stood looking at herself the bathroom mirror. //For cryin' out loud, get a grip!// she chided herself, only to roll her eyes to the back of her head and let out a frustrated breath. Of all the things she had to say, she said the thing that kept Jack O'Neill fresh in her mind. Her reflection stared back at her, offering no counsel, leaving her stunned, frustrated and just a little bit confused.

Since the whole "Anise debacle" she and the colonel had walked a very careful line. Refusing to allow either of their feelings to come anywhere close to the surface. She had to admit that she missed the jokes, the laughter and the light in his velvet eyes when he was making some wise-ass remark purely with the intent of seeing her smile. She knew why he did it, she just wished that he still did. But fear of more than just their duty had effectively barricaded those emotions.

Yet for a few brief moments on that stage, she had reacted to him with an intensity that had scared her more than any regulation or threat of court-martial, and she had seen and felt that reaction echoed in him. A thought that heated her body and shocked her heart into a complete coup of her brain.

She had a date with *her* Colonel. No one could argue with her, or tell her that it was wrong. A good cause had benefited and she certainly wanted her money's worth. Just for one night, she wanted to be Sam Carter, to leave the military side of her in this room, and explore the contents of that other room.

Oh she knew it would be a risk, having to bottle it all away once again once the night was over. The potential for hurt almost changing her mind then and there. But when she let her mind wander back to that stage, to the way he put his own discomfort aside for the kids, to the way he had smiled when she knew how embarrassed he had been. But mostly to the way she had felt his breath catch as she had pushed that shirt from his shoulders, it was enough to make sure any notion of self-preservation was left along with "Major Carter" in this bathroom, just for this one night.

Taking a deep, steadying breath she smiled into her refection and turned her back before she could lose any of the momentary confidence she had instilled in herself.

That confidence lasted precisely until she caught sight of Jack. He had put back on his shirt, but had left the top button undone, the bow tie casually draped around the collar, while the jacket was hung just as casually in his hand. He looked even more deadly now than he had when he was half-naked on the stage! It really should be illegal for any one man to look that attractive when she had to give him back at the end of the night.

"Finally!" he rebuked "I thought you'd jumped out of the window or something" His lazy smile earned him one in return.

"Nah Sorry to disappoint Colonel, takes more than you to make me run for the hills… But if you start singing I can't promise… besides, I paid enough for you. I figure I should at least get my money's worth"

His eyes drew into mock hurt, a puppy dog expression crossing over his face as he put his hand over his heart and whispered theatrically "You wound me Major"

The fact that he burst out laughing almost immediately did kinda spoil the effect. But the small episode of bantering had served to dispel the nerves of both of them, and as he grew semi-serious once more, she followed his lead.

"Well if we wanna use these vouchers, we had better get a move on. I for one am starving. Public humiliation has that effect on me"

Offering her his arm once more, he felt the previous jolt of electricity once more as her fingers curved around his upper forearm.

"Oh and Sam, you think you can call me "Jack"? Just for one night?" Her smile was all the answer he needed, but he knew that sparkle in her eyes so he waited for the inevitable comeback.

"Only if you swear not to sing… Jack"

"That bad huh?"

Again her look answered his question and he felt his heart skip a beat. Deciding that it would probably be of strategic value to actually eat before dragging her into his arms and refusing to ever let go, he remained silent, offering only a lopsided grin as he escorted the woman on his arm to their date.

"Your face when she wrapped that tinsel around your neck… I thought you where gonna faint!"

"Well, wouldn't you panic? If a 97-year-old with the libido of an adolescent said to you what that woman said to me? Jeez Sam, I'm not exactly innocent, but she made me blush!"

Sam laughed again; she'd done a lot of that this evening. He'd been so charming, letting her see without reserve the side of the man that was not a military Colonel. He had a charismatic charm that she had never really seen in full flight before, adding a dangerous quality to their flirting. His often-experienced sense of humor was at its irreverent height and he wrapped it all in a package so sexy that it was frightening.

She already knew that she was more than half way in love with the man, but seeing him now as Jack the man, not Jack the soldier had sealed her fate. She loved him, completely and totally and the stone that settled into her heart at the thought of having to hide all that away again was almost too much to bear.

How could she do that again? It had been hard enough the first time when she wasn't totally sure of herself. But now, now she knew. Why did this have to be so difficult?

Jack stopped laughing. He had noticed her face change from glowing with mirth to something that made her eyes lose that sparkle that he so openly adored. But it didn't worry him, if anything he had been waiting for it.

This evening had been a revelation to him, not about his feelings for her, no he had always been dead sure about those. More so her reaction to him had shocked him in the most wonderful way he could imagine. For the first time, she had opened up to him, completely without reservation and it wasn't just because she wanted to get her $1000 worth! He knew her and read her well enough to know that she had taken a huge barrier down, albeit one they had jointly placed after that Tok'ra thingy… and so he had grabbed onto that hope with all his strength.

Knowing now that there was no military barrier standing between them, Jack had a freedom of thought that Sam didn't have the luxury of. Yet she had still chosen to let him in, to break down those walls. She constantly amazed him, her courage continually astounded him. Even when she thought she had so much to lose, she had still taken the gamble and he loved her more in that moment of realization than he ever thought possible.

But now, as the evening was coming to it's close, her lively humor had began to wane, but Jack knew why. But this time, there was no chance in hell that he was gonna let her put anything back in *any* damn room.

She didn't need to.

So smiling, he took a breath and began in earnest the plan he had concocted in the time between the General leaving and the reappearance of a certain lady major.

"Penny for them Sam?"

She looked at him non-plussed, obviously still shaking off the effects of her thoughts.

"Your thoughts? Cause if you are thinking about that Naquada reactor again, I'll have to take a good long look at my innate charm and sweetness. Have you any idea how crushed my ego would be, if the woman who had paid $1000 for me had to resort to Naquada reactors in my company?"

His gentle teasing lifted her slightly, but her smiled was only half- hearted and they both knew it. Refusing to let her melancholy develop further, Jack continued.

"Why did you do it anyway?"

She'd been half dreading this question all night. She had no idea what to say to him. She could hardly tell him the truth now could she? "I bought you cause I wanted you more in that moment than I had ever wanted anything in my life… because you melted my heart when you begged me with your eyes… because I love you" No, that would not be her wisest choice. The night was soon to be over and she had to accept that. She had known that letting him go tonight would be hard, but for the sake of them both she had no choice. Besides, there was always wine, sappy films and chocolate ice cream when she got home.

"You needed rescuing and it's kinda a habit I've got"

It was half-true, and she had tried to be as light in her tone as she could. Hoping he'd let her off, she should have known better - deep down she had.

"Yeah, but I mean, a whole one *THOUSAND* bucks… that's a lot of money Carter"

There it was again, that damn lopsided grin that sent her heart flying out of her chest and her knees to mush. (And yes, "mush" is a technical term)

"Air Force must be paying me too much" Once more her attempt to keep the conversation light was ignored by Jack, admired, but ignored none the less.

"Well, in being a "bought" man, I kinda feel like I have this obligation to make sure you get your money's worth…"

He saw her inwardly panic as he got up from his seat and move around to her.

"I wouldn't want to make you think that I wasn't aware of my responsibility here"

He felt her tremble as her took her hands and pulled her gently to her feet

"And as you know I take my responsibilities *very* seriously…"

He looked into her eyes and felt the charge crackle between them.

"So how do you suggest that I make sure you get your full $1000 worth?"

He almost spoiled it all by laughing at her worried face. He knew that he was being cruel, but she looked so damn adorable when she was confused and panicking that he just couldn't resist.

"I… I mean… I… Um… I… " She mentally cursed herself. *Now* she was acting like a teenager speaking to the captain of the football team that she had a crush on as the man before continued undaunted.

"Well, I have a suggestion or two, but I'd like your opinion…"

He smiled into her eyes. He was having so much fun, but his nerves too were beginning to set on edge. Although he had a pretty good idea as to her reaction, he was still unsure whether she would completely accept him without the knowledge that there would be no military complications.

He knew that he should tell her, but the little part of him that was still vulnerable to hurt and pain, (especially if it was inflicted by a woman he loved) needed to know that she wanted him and loved him enough to risk that.

//This is it Jack, no going back//

"I mean, I could do this…"

Without uttering another word, Jack lowered his head to hers. Taking her lips gently but firmly, igniting their worlds and feeling the tension they had both felt when she had unbuttoned his shirt return tenfold.

She was lost, the nanosecond his soft lips touched hers. All her fears disappeared as she felt the explosions begin in her toes and chain-react throughout her entire body. Could this man kiss or what?

He felt instantly the moment she let go. The moment she let down the walls completely, trusting him not to hurt her. Her arms wrapped around his neck and her mouth returned his passion and more besides. It was a victory that made him whole because he had never allowed himself to dream that it was a victory he would ever achieve.

When they finally broke the kiss, Sam's eyes where shining, although Jack could tell that she still was uncertain, the lovely blush that colored her cheeks confirmed that.

"I figure if I do that a few more times, I could make that $1000 seem like a good investment"

His grin threatened to crack his face. Earlier that evening he had decided to take this slowly, knowing that the years of ruthless suppression of their feelings would be easier overcome if they did it carefully. Just to have her kiss him was as more than he had hoped for, but the look in her eyes and her next words took his breath away.

"Jack, I'd have paid that all over again and more to get a kiss like that."

Her honesty stunned them both. Sam quickly berated her brain to mouth reflex, she hadn't meant to say that certainly not out loud anyway!

"Really?" His smile reaching ear to ear "in that case I think you better go get your check book" giving her no opportunity to reply before taking her lips once more in a violently sensual onslaught that neither wanted to break.

A tactful cough from the waiter finally brought them back to earth. Looking around them, Jack realized that they where the last people in the restaurant. So smiling to Sam and then to the waiter, Jack muttered. " I think that's our cue"

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Standing on the sidewalk outside the restaurant Sam shivered against the cold wind. Jack was stood facing her, a battle raging in his eyes. She smiled, wondering if he could read her eyes like she could read his. If he could he'd soon decide which argument to listen to.

She for one, had had enough. Enough hiding, enough running, enough pretending that what she was feeling would go away. In a moment of total understanding, she spoke his name at precisely the same moment that he spoke hers.

Laughing, Jack offered "Ladies first"

"No, I think you should go first… seeing as how I bought you and all… " Her eyes danced with mischief.

"Best buy you ever made Lady" He muttered, smiling.

But he soon sobered as he decided //What the Hell//

"Sam, there are some things I should tell you. When I have, whatever you decide I'll live by and respect. But you have to know" He paused then as he looked at her. Her breath misting as it left her mouth in the cold night air. He could see that she was listening, waiting just as seriously as he had now become. So taking her hands in his and rubbing his thumb over the back of her hand, he spoke.

"Sam, I care about you. More than I should, more than I am supposed to, but you know that already. The thing is I don't wanna leave it alone anymore. I want you, because I love you and I need you to be there to save my ass on a daily basis, I mean, I know that you do that already… But I want you to do that because you love me back, not so we keep SG-1s fatality list to zero."

He paused, his adrenaline threatening to make him rush this. Her head was lowered, facing the floor, but he could tell by her breathing that she was fighting tears. //Please don't let her run away, not again// At that moment, he was so scared of losing her that he gave up on making her chose him without knowing that it didn't mean court- martial. He needed her and he had to risk her tearing him to shreds if he stood any chance of winning her.

"Sam, you don't need to worry. General Hammond told me tonight that he has sorted the problem of the regs. We can be together if you want us to be, without losing your career."

The desperation in his voice brought her head up, his eyes showing the deep vulnerability that she had always sensed in him. Feeling a tear fall down her face, she smiled at him and spoke the truth

"Jack, regs or no regs, you had me from the moment you stood on that stage tonight. You've had me a whole lot longer, but when I unbuttoned your shirt, I gave up fighting something I wanted since the day you told me you had a "problem with scientists"

Pure happiness sent a dizzying wave through every nerve ending in his body as he looked into those puddles of shimmering blue. Wiping the tear from her cheek, he spoke softly.

"I love you Sam."

He saw her eyes sparkle mischievously.

"Now that is worth a $1000 any day! *AND* I wanna know just exactly what the General said to you… later"

Matching the mixture of teasing and passion in her voice, Jack replied.

"Do with me as you will, my lady. You bought me for the night remember"

With that she lifted her lips to his and left neither of them in any doubt that the night was definitely NOT over yet.

^*^*^*^*^**^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

The End…. Maybe *evilgrin*

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed !

Sold! (For The Kids) copyright Flo Bouchez and Lindsay Allen, April 2001.