samandjack.net

Story Notes: Songbook Series 16: AUTHOR: Jez- jez80@ozemail.com.au

SPOILERS: none

ARCHIVE: Sam and Jack and Heliopolis please.

AUTHORS NOTES: A huge thanks to my two beta gal's, Kes and Jenn!

FEEDBACK: Very much appreciated and cherished.


Sam and Jack walked down the corridor of the SGC, the glow on their faces evident to everyone who saw them. Hammond spotted them as he headed to the briefing room. “Good morning, Colonel, Major. I trust you enjoyed your trip to Australia?”

“Oh, yes, sir,” Sam replied, eyes alight. “It was wonderful.”

“Not long enough though,” Jack put in with a smile.

Hammond chuckled. “That aside, I hope the two of you are ready to get back to work?”

“Yes, sir,” they chorused.

“Good, perhaps you’ll join the rest of your team for the briefing?”

They headed into the briefing room, where they were greeted by Daniel and Teal’c. “You guys have a good time?” Daniel asked.

“It was fantastic!” Sam replied. “We bought you guys a little something. Maybe we can have a get-together at our place when we get back from this mission?”

“That would be enjoyable, Major Carter,” Teal’c replied.

“The quicker we get this briefing going, the sooner you can be there and back,” Hammond said, effectively bringing them to order. “Now, Doctor Jackson, I believe you were going to explain to me why you think SG-1 and SG-7 need to return to P7J889?”

“You guys went on a mission while we were gone?” Jack asked.

“We did, O’Neill. SG-7 were short two members, so Daniel Jackson and I volunteered to assist.”

“Huh. See that, Major? We’re not needed any more. Maybe we should just go back to Australia and leave them to it?”

Sam smiled. “Maybe we should, sir,” she returned.

Hammond cleared his throat. “Dr. Jackson, if you will?”

Daniel nodded. “Yes, sir. They’ve invited us back for a festival, sort of a thank you for all our help and an offer of friendship. I thought it might be a good idea to go. It might offend them if we don’t. They’re really keen for us to set up this mining treaty. I really think it would be a good gesture for us to attend.”

Hammond nodded his agreement. “Very well, Doctor Jackson. SG-1 and SG-7 will leave in an hour for P7J889. Dismissed.”

*****

SG-1 and SG-7 stood in the embarkation room, waiting for the ‘Gate to finish dialling. “So, Colonel,” Major Castleman started. “You gonna carry your wife over the threshold or what?” he asked with a grin.

Jack chuckled. “Yeah, right. Knowing me, I’d have a bad exit and end up breaking her arm or something. Sorry, Castleman.”

“Beside the fact that would be against our agreement, wouldn’t it, Colonel?” Hammond reminded from the control room.

Jack looked up, but couldn’t quite make out the expression on the General’s face. As such, he missed the humour in the General’s eyes as he teased his 2IC.

The wormhole established at that moment, whooshing out before stabilising into it’s usual shimmering circle. “You have a go, SG’s 1 and 7. Have fun.”

The ten of them made their way up the ramp and through the stable vortex to the other side of the galaxy.

They were greeted on the other side by a small group of people. One woman stood ahead of the others. She was dressed in a long flowing yellow dress, her head adorned with a garland of flowers. Daniel bowed slightly as he stood in front of her, indicating the others do the same. “Thank you for inviting us to your festival, Mishka,” Daniel said before introducing her to Sam and Jack.

“Daniel told me that you were away celebrating your recent marriage?” she asked.

“That’s right,” Sam replied.

“Then tonight will be a special night for you.” She didn’t elaborate any further, simply turning and gesturing that the teams follow her back to the village.

She led them to the village and pointed towards four mud-brick huts. “These will be your accommodations for your stay. I hope they are acceptable?”

“They’ll be fine, thank you,” Daniel replied.

“Please, make yourselves at home. The festivities will begin with the going down of the sun.”

She left them then, allowing them to sort out their own sleeping arrangements. “So, which one’s the Honeymoon suite?” Castleman asked with a grin.

Jack didn’t look impressed. “Carter, you and Lieutenant White can have one. Teal’c, Daniel and I will share another. You five can sort out who sleeps where. Stow your gear and we’ll meet back out here in thirty minutes.”

With that he strode away, not even glancing at Sam. She stood there, trying not to let her hurt show as she tried to figure out what was wrong with him. Shaking her head, she strode off into another hut.

“Well, I guess the Honeymoon’s over,” Castleman said, looking slightly concerned.

Lieutenant White shrugged at her superior officer, before heading off to the hut that Sam had entered.

She saw Sam as soon as she entered, unrolling her sleeping bag on one of the beds. “Are you okay, ma’am?” she asked.

“Yeah, White, I’m fine. I think these beds are going to bring a whole new meaning to lumpy mattresses.” She didn’t turn around, wanting to regain her cool facade first. She had no idea what was going through her husband’s head, but it had hurt her that he’d do the ‘cold and detached’ routine so soon after their honeymoon.

Determined not to look like a simpering female, Sam pushed her emotions down and turned to look at White. “So, what do you think this celebration’s all about?” she asked.

White, realising that she didn’t want to talk, launched into her theories.

*****

They all met up outside the huts twenty minutes later. Sam had decided that she would just act normal and not let Jack’s strange behaviour get to her. Knowing Jack, he had some weird reason for his behaviour and she’d find out eventually. Daniel didn’t look very happy as he exited their hut, so Sam figured he’d tried to have a go at Jack for his behaviour. She had to smile. Daniel was so sweet sometimes.

They were guided to the centre of the village, where a large bonfire was ready for lighting. The villagers sat in a circle around the pile of wood, all faced toward the setting sun. The chanting began soon after and continued until the great red orb could no longer be seen. Then the fire was lit and the partying began.

First was the feast. The SGC personnel were served fruits and berries, as well as some kind of meat that Daniel declared tasted like chicken. This was accompanied by a sweet wine that everyone but Jack tried. “We’re still on duty,” he warned the rest of them.

The others rolled their eyes and took a sip of their wine.

Once the meal had finished, the men cleaned up while the women went off to prepare for the dancing. Both Sam and White declined to get dressed up, instead drinking more wine as the instruments came out and the music began.

The women made their way back to the village centre, bringing a murmur of approval from the men. They were all dressed similarly, with bikini style tops and short flowing skirts. The clothing was colourful and was complimented by a silk scarf tied at their waist. Glitter covered their skin and they had flowers in their hair. The younger women walked toward the bonfire and began dancing around it, their movements quite erotic.

The married women, who were dressed the same, sat with their husbands. Mishka headed over to their new friends. She spoke briefly to White, asking her if she wished to dance as well. The young lieutenant quickly declined. With a smile, Mishka walked over and sat next to Sam. “You are enjoying the evening?”

“Oh, yes,” Sam replied, her eyes shining. “Tell me, Mishka. What is the purpose of this dance?”

“This is the time that the single women dance and find their mates. After this session, the wedded women will dance for their mates. You can join in that dance, Samantha,” Mishka told her.

Sam grinned and looked to Jack, but he did not look pleased. He excused himself and walked away from the bonfire. Sam’s face fell as she watched him walk away. She was seriously starting to wonder if she brought the right man back from Australia. He’d been so sweet and romantic while they were away, what had changed?

*****

Jack walked down to the riverbank while he tried to get his hormones back under control. He was trying so hard to be the professional that was expected of him, but both Sam and the festival seemed to be plotting against him. He knew Sam wasn’t doing it deliberately, but she was being particularly adorable and he was finding it hard not to drag her into the nearest hut and make love to her.

‘Beside the fact that would be against our agreement, wouldn’t it, Colonel?’ The General’s words echoed in his head. He was finding it so hard to get back to being her commanding officer when they’d spent the last two weeks as husband and wife. He knew he was upsetting Sam. He’d explain it to her when they got home and beg for forgiveness. He knew she found him hard to resist when he was grovelling.

*****

Sam looked around, having thought that Jack would have returned by now. She decided that she’d better go and look for him, and maybe get him to explain what was up with him. She told Daniel where she was going and headed off in the direction Jack had taken.

She didn’t understand his behaviour. Sure, they were on a mission, and there was another team with them, but that hadn’t stopped him from loosening up on previous occasions. The world they were visiting had been deemed safe and they were currently in the middle of a spring celebration, it wasn’t like it was a first contact situation.

She finally spotted him by the river, throwing stones and watching the second moon rise. “There you are. I was wondering where you’d got to.”

Jack took in her sparkling eyes, which had turned a dark blue, and the slight rosiness of her cheeks. “Are you drunk? he asked.

Sam shook her head. “No, but the atmosphere has gotten to me. Apparently tonight is the night that the goddess blesses any child that is conceived. Hence the wine and the herbs they burn on the fire have aphrodisiac properties to give couples a helping hand. I guess you could say I’m feeling a bit libidinous.” She leaned into him, kissing his neck.

Jack shook his head, trying not to slip into her seductive spell. “Sam, we’re on a mission. We’re supposed to be professional at all times.”

“We’ve been invited here to party, and since when have you been professional at all times? I mean, you’ve got us sleeping in different huts! Everyone thinks we’re fighting or something.” She threw her hands up in resignation when he didn’t reply. “I don’t know why I bother. Just forget it, Jack,” she said as she strode off.

Daniel saw Sam striding towards them, obviously angry. “Hey, Sam? Everything alright?” he asked when she reached him.

“Yeah. My husband’s just being his usual pigheaded self. Excuse me,” she said, walking away, no longer feeling like partying. Walking past some huts, Sam was startled when she felt a hand on her arm. Spinning around she saw Mishka, smiling toothily at her.

“I am sorry for scaring you, Samantha,” the older woman told her.

“It’s okay, Mishka. I was just lost in thought, that’s all.”

“Your loved one does not wish to celebrate tonight, does he?”

Sam shook her head. “No, he doesn’t. I’m not sure why. It’s a shame, it looks like a lot of fun.”

Mishka smiled knowingly, gesturing Sam into her hut. She followed with a curious look, checking over her shoulder to see Jack walking back to the others. She ducked into the hut before he could see her.

Jack looked around the fire, not seeing Sam anywhere. He looked at his friends, who were eyeing the dancers with obvious lust. “Where’s Sam?” he asked, sitting next to Daniel.

“I’m not sure. She came back here, not looking too impressed, and then took off somewhere.” He gave Jack a sidelong glance. “What’s going on with you two anyway? I know the honeymoon’s technically over but...”

“It’s nothing, Daniel,” Jack assured him. “Just me being my usual pigheaded self.”

Daniel snorted. “That’s what Sam said too.” He looked fully at his friend. “You want to talk about it?”

Jack shrugged. “Not much to talk about. I was just trying to stay professional. It’s what Hammond expects of us. I don’t want to let him down now.”

“But, Jack, we were sent here to enjoy a party. The General knows that the both of you will behave professionally when it counts. You know, I would have expected this kind of thing when you first announced you were together, but why now?”

Jack sighed. “I don’t know, Daniel. I guess after the honeymoon, it’s hard to get back to being CO and 2IC. I just...”

“Needed to remind yourself which hat you were wearing?”

Jack nodded. “Exactly. I’m not her husband right now, I’m her commanding officer.”

Daniel patted his friend’s shoulder. “You’re her commanding officer *and* her husband. Sometimes one has to take the front seat, but there are times when you can be both, Jack. I think this is one of those times.”

“Maybe, but do you think that we’ll be able to decide when it’s appropriate and when it’s not?”

Daniel gave him a disbelieving look. “Jack, you guys have been doing that for ages! Just because you’re now legally married, why should that change the professionalism you’ve both had all along?”

Jack sighed. “I’m being an idiot, aren’t I?”

Daniel chuckled. “Honestly? Yes. Go and find your wife, Jack. I think you’ve got some grovelling to do.”

Before he could move, the music stopped and the crowd hushed. The team looked around and everyone’s jaw dropped. There, silhouetted by the fire, was their teammate, friend and, in Jack’s case, wife. She was dressed similarly to the other women, her body and hair glittering in the pale light. Mishka spoke in her native tongue and the music started again.

Sam started dancing, her hips gyrating to the beat of the drums, her hands caressing her body. Any other time, she would have been too embarrassed to do this in front of other people, but the wine and herbs had relaxed her to the point where she didn’t care. If she were honest, it was exciting to dance for her husband while others watched on.

Jack watched, mesmerised as Sam danced. The moon and the fire bathed her in a soft light, adding to the beautiful scene that greeted him. Her eyes locked with his and he could see how much she was enjoying herself. She took a scarf that had been loosely tied around her waist, moving it around her body as Mishka had instructed.

Jack jumped slightly as he felt a hand on his arm, he dragged his eyes away from Sam long enough to see it was Mishka’s mate, Zaltar. “This is her invitation to you, Jack. She is asking you if you want her. To reply in the affirmative, you must move towards her slowly. She will then greet you by putting the scarf around you.”

Jack nodded and got to his feet, moving slowly towards Sam. She was still watching him as she continued to dance. When he got close enough, she threw the scarf around his shoulders and pulled him to her. Jack’s arms went around her, his fingers trailing over the flesh of her lower back. “I’m sorry,” he whispered.

“Shh,” Sam replied and pulled him closer for a long, passionate kiss.

When they finally separated, Sam smiled at her husband’s dark eyes and led him off to one of the huts.

Daniel smiled as he watched his friends, before turning to Castleman. “It looks like we’ll have to rethink the sleeping arrangements.”

The major nodded, watching as the couple headed towards the huts. “Mishka said Colonel O’Neill wouldn’t be able to fight the magic of the moonlight. White took the initiative and rearranged everyone’s gear.”

The rest of SG-1 and SG-7 continued to celebrate with the natives well into the night, while Sam and Jack had their own private party.

*****

Sam opened her eyes when she heard a groan beside her. “Good morning,” she greeted, watching as her husband tried to stretch the sleeping kinks out.

He smiled, leaning over to give her a good morning kiss. “Hi. You sleep well?”

Sam grimaced as she sat up, the lumpy straw in the mattress making her back sore. “Pretty good, considering.”

He nodded his understanding, getting up to dress. “Come on, we’d better see what mischief the others got up to without us.”

They finished getting dressed and headed out into the bright morning sunlight. Most of the villagers and the rest of their team were having breakfast in the village centre.

“Good morning,” Daniel greeted with a smile.

“Hey, Daniel. Have a good party?” Jack asked as he sat beside his friend.

Daniel grinned. “Yeah. You?”

Jack just grinned in return, accepting the plate of fruit and bread that one of the natives gave him.

“We heading home after this, Colonel?” Castleman asked, as they sat, eating.

Jack nodded. “As long as that’s not going to insult the natives in any way,” he replied, raising an eyebrow at Daniel in question.

The archaeologist shook his head. “Mishka said that we are free to go whenever we want.”

“Good. We’ll finish breakfast, pack up our gear and head back to the Stargate.”

By the time they said goodbyes and walked back to the Stargate, it was late in the morning. Daniel dialled Earth’s address and Sam sent the GDO signal so the SGC would open the iris. They all headed through the wormhole, landing on the ramp in the embarkation room seconds later.

“Welcome back, SG’s 1 and 7. I assume everything went well?” Hammond greeted as he walked into the room.

“It was certainly interesting, sir,” Jack replied with a grin.

“Well, get down to the infirmary and get cleaned up. We’ll debrief in an hour.”

“Not much to say, General,” Daniel piped up. “Jack was an ass, Sam learned the native’s version of exotic dancing and the rest of us ate and drank the night away.” He grinned at Sam and Jack’s dirty looks.

Hammond chuckled. “See you in an hour, people.” He laughed as they walked away, continuing their banter.

“It wasn’t exotic dancing,” Sam said to Daniel. “I didn’t strip.”

“Well, there wasn’t a lot to take off, Major,” Castleman put in. “Not that I was looking,” he quickly added, looking at Jack.

Their voices faded as they moved down the corridor, away from the General. Shaking his head, he headed up to his office, eager to hear SG-1’s latest antics.

The debriefing was nothing short of hilarious. Sam spent the whole time blushing, while Jack sat there grumbling that he wasn’t an ass and they shouldn’t have been looking at his wife. Daniel and Castleman were having a great time embarrassing the couple, while the rest of SG-7 and Teal’c stayed diplomatically out of it.

After the debriefing had finished, Jack invited Daniel, Teal’c and Hammond to their place for a cookout the following afternoon. After ensuring that they would attend, Sam and Jack went to invite Janet and Cassie, Lucy and Brett, plus Jocelyn and Ben. They then headed off the base to do some much needed grocery shopping.

*****

The following day was bright and sunny, the perfect day for a cookout. Janet, Daniel and Cassie arrived at about two, the teenager not being able to wait any longer to see her Godparents. “Did you get me a present?” she asked, her eyes alight.

“Cassie!” Janet admonished. “You don’t ask things like that.”

“Then how will I know if they did?”

“You’ll figure it out when we give it to you,” Jack told her, smiling.

“You mean you did?!”

“I didn’t say that,” Jack teased.

Jocelyn and Ben arrived next. They were followed by Lucy and Brett, who had apparently been inseparable since the wedding. Sam was very pleased by this revelation, although she had been looking forward to some match making.

Shaking from her reverie, Sam went to greet the last of their guests, Hammond and Teal’c. They’d brought along a surprise for her. “Dad!” she squealed when her father stepped into view. “What are you doing here?” she asked as she hugged him.

“Can’t I come and see my baby girl?” he returned with a grin.

“Of course you can,” Sam returned as she ushered them through the house and out the back door. “It’s just a surprise to have you here so soon after the wedding.”

Jacob grinned. “Okay, to tell you the truth, Garshaw sent me back. She told me not to return unless I had photos of the wedding.”

Sam laughed and they stepped out onto the back deck. “Look who’s here,” she called to Jack.

Jack turned around, grinning when he saw Jacob. “Hey, Dad! Good to see you again,” he said as he shook his father-in-law’s hand.

“Good to see you too,” Jacob replied. “I trust you two had fun in Australia?”

“Yeah, it was great,” Jack replied. “You should see the football they play over there!”

“Jack!” Sam admonished. “I’d like to think the most memorable part of the trip wasn’t you watching football with the boys.”

Jack gave her a mischievous grin. “Well, angel, I didn’t think you’d want me to bring up that blue satin negligee in front of your dad. But if you want me to tell them about *that* part of the trip...” He broke off, waggling his eyebrows at her.

Sam blushed, but couldn’t help the grin that formed. “Behave yourself. Or I may be forced to tell them about your hidden romantic streak,” she warned.

“Jack’s a romantic?” Janet asked, feigning shock. “This I have to hear.”

The girls dragged Sam across to sit at the table and gossip, while the guys congregated around the barbecue.

*****

After dinner, the group settled in the living room, where they continued to talk. “How was your first mission back?” Jocelyn asked, sipping her tea.

Daniel snorted, earning a dirty look from both Sam and Jack.

“Can it, Jackson,” Jack warned, knowing full well that he wouldn’t.

“I’m just going to answer Jocelyn’s question, Jack. Doesn’t she deserve an answer?” His innocent look didn’t fool anyone.

“Spit it out, Daniel,” Brett said. “It sounds like we just *have* to hear this.”

Grinning, Daniel launched into the story. He told them about Jack’s sleeping arrangements, and how Sam came back rather pissed after she’d gone looking for him. Then he told them how Jack was just about to go and look for her when the music stopped. “So out comes Sam, wearing next to nothing, and Jack’s eyes nearly popped out of his head. If he’d still had any reservations about letting his hair down, they sure flew out the window when she started dancing!”

Everyone laughed as Jack actually blushed. “It’s not funny!” he told them. “She almost gave me heart failure!”

“You gonna show us your stuff?” Brett asked Sam, giving her a mock leer.

“Sorry. It was a once only performance,” Sam replied, her face burning.

“I hope not,” Jack whispered in her ear.

“I’m sorry for causing the problem, Colonel,” Hammond apologised. “I didn’t think you’d take me seriously.” He looked at them both. “I trust you to be able to decide what behaviour is appropriate.”

“We won’t let you down,” Jack replied.

“I know you won’t. The two of you have proven to me time and again that you can balance your personal and professional lives.”

Everyone smiled at the General’s praise and Sam’s eyes strayed to Cassie. She grinned wider, knowing the teenager must have been itching to know what they’d got her from Australia. “I think Cassie’s waited long enough, don’t you?” she asked Jack.

He smiled and went up to their bedroom, where he found the bags of presents. Taking them back down stairs, he sat them in between Sam and himself.

Sam looked in one, rummaging around and pulling out Cassie’s present. “Here you go, Cass. I hope you like it.”

The teenager pulled the CD out of the bag and quickly skimmed the titles. “This is awesome!” she declared. “Thank you!” She quickly hugged them both, before moving to sit at Janet’s feet and look at the CD more closely.

“We got this for the baby,” Jack told Jocelyn, handing her the koala teddy.

“Oh, it’s so cute!” Jocelyn declared, placing the teddy on her stomach. “Look what your Aunt and Uncle got you, little one!” She felt an answering kick and laughed. “I think she likes it,” she grinned.

Sam raised an eyebrow. “She?”

Jocelyn shrugged. “I hate saying ‘it’, plus I just have this feeling.”

“A mother’s instinct,” Teal’c spoke up. Everyone smiled.

They continued to hand out gifts, an authentic boomerang for Daniel, a book on Australia for Teal’c, NSW Rugby League jerseys for Ben and Brett and bottles of Bundaberg rum for Hammond and Jacob. They gave Janet, Lucy and Jocelyn bottles of vintage wine from Blueberry Hill.

“Save it for when you stop nursing, Joc,” Sam told her friend.

The night continued on, with Sam and Jack recalling more stories from their honeymoon, and the others catching them up on the gossip that they had missed while they were away.

It was late when their guests finally left. Sam stood at the door, waving them off. She was just about to turn and head back inside when she felt two arms wrap around her waist and a very familiar body press up behind her. She sighed, leaning against him and pulling his arms tighter around her. “This is more like it,” she told him.

“I’m sorry, baby. I won’t do it again,” Jack promised.

“Just give me a bit of warning when you’re going to go into military mode, okay? Then I won’t think I’ve done something to upset you.”

“Deal.” Jack’s lips began a gentle path up Sam’s nape, stopping to nuzzle in her hair. “How about we go and take full advantage of a mattress that’s totally lump free?”

Sam moaned as Jack’s hands started caressing her body. “I think that’s the best idea I’ve heard all night,” she replied and headed up to the bedroom.

Jack quickly locked up the house and followed his wife up to their room for a passion filled night on a lump free mattress.

*****

Under a lover's sky
I'm gonna be with you
And no one's gonna be around
If you think that you won't fall
Well just wait until, 'till the sun goes down
Underneath the starlight, starlight
There's a magical feeling so right
It will steal your heart tonight

You can try to resist
Try to hide from my kiss
But you know, but you know
That you, can't fight the moonlight
Deep in the dark you'll surrender your heart
But you know, but you know
That you, can't fight the moonlight,
No-o you can't fight it
It's gonna get to you're heart

There's no escaping love
Once a gentle breeze
Sweeps it's spell upon your heart
And no matter what you think
It won't be to long
'Till your in my arms
Underneath the starlight starlight
We'll be lost in the rythm so right
It will steal your heart tonight

*****

COMING SOON- Songbook Series 17: Where Are You Tonight